Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 217372 times)

Bebpo

Re: I got FFXIV
« Reply #960 on: June 06, 2017, 05:21:45 PM »
Yeah I enjoy the new races in this game. Very good job on them. I think all the beast tribes add a lot of flavor to the world since they're all very fantasy. Was surprised the beast tribe quests weren't part of 3.0. Like I get they were part of 2.X but I thought that's just because they added a lot of stuff post-game. Now that beast tribes are part of the FFXIV formula, just assumed they'd be unlocked as you meet the tribes in the MSQs.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #961 on: June 06, 2017, 07:56:18 PM »
why you missing early access?

Will be in Vegas for a week/EDC. Not complaining...I'll be back like a day after it comes out so not too bad and hopefully any server issues or whatever are ironed out.

I haven't really been playing, just dicking around with crafting turn ins while I send my retainer on ventures...something I never did for some reason. I really need to go back and unlock the moogle beast tribe quests, I tried to do it one day but there are so many in the chain I couldn't find where I stopped at. May have been drinking.  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #962 on: June 07, 2017, 02:40:50 AM »
Great Library dungeon was...great! Really good BGM and the bosses were all cool puzzle bosses. Felt like the 2.X dungeons. Had a good team too so it was a lot of fun. Also solid challenge too on the boss fights. The cutscenes after and when entering the final area were really good. Feels up there with the mainline FFs at this point.

At the final map now, a little over halfway through lvl.59. Should work out just right for catching up with MSQ levels. Need to do the final area stuff, then the final 2 job quests (58/60) for NIN and then final dungeon(s)/trials(s). Probably will finish it this week!

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #963 on: June 07, 2017, 11:41:01 PM »
now that i've got a pc, i'm really tempted to rebuy the game. i was gonna wait, but nerd impulsiveness and all. i've heard getting it on another platform gets you a bonus free month, so that + arr for $10 via hardee's promotion + sb&hw for $32 on amazon prime = why the fuck not. only issue is that i won't be able to play it for another week and a half because the hw download will be tied to sb. well, that and i'm already spending $200 on the fucking collector's edition, but what's a few more bucks??
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #964 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:35 AM »
Got to the final dungeon but uh, that last map Azyl Lith or whatever gave almost no xp in its 6 quests. Was halfway through lvl.59 when I got there and barely past halfway to 60 now and last MSQ is locked :( I need 1.3 million more xp and these quests in the area only give 42k xp each.

So...I'm back at moghome and I'm gonna do the whole moogle trible unlock quest chain at 33k xp per quest and hopefully that gives me enough xp!

Kinda annoying how the final area doesn't have more xp in it to get you to the final dungeon.

Bebpo

« Reply #965 on: June 08, 2017, 01:10:35 AM »
So, yeah even 20 moogle quests at 30k each is only 600k >< Did my dailies and a bunch of them and got from 2.5 million xp to 3 million xp, but I need ~3.9 million xp for lvl.60. What's the fastest way to get 900k? I'd like to do the final MSQ dungeon tomorrow but don't want to grind quests for 2+ hours. If my dailies get me close to 300k, that leaves 600k which is like 20 quests. In the last 30 mins I got 2 quests in Azylith and 4 moogle quests done, so maybe 10-12 quests an hour.

« Reply #966 on: June 08, 2017, 01:15:30 AM »
Exactly two floor 51-60 Palace of the Dead runs will get you the one million xp you need (each run at level 59 gives ~580k). Can probably skim by with just one + a leveling roulette.

Bebpo

« Reply #967 on: June 08, 2017, 03:20:21 AM »
Actually I accidentally noticed when I killed a hunt that they give a ton of xp! So I did the remaining rank 3 elite hunts from the last time I checked the board and got 50k xp each for a few hundred thousand. Then did the moogle tribe questline and it actually wasn't bad after the initial 4-6 go help moogles quests. Didn't mind the rest.

When I turned in the last mission before the tribe unlock I was 3k xp from lvl. 60  :lol and of course the unlock mission gives crafting xp :p but I killed a hunt on the way to my first moogle crafting quest and that pushed me over 60 :)

So just gotta do last lvl.60 job quest & final dungeon next.

Also, wtffffffffffffffff at what a joke, free levels moogle crafting tribe is. Not only are you not gimped like Ixali with fewer crafting points but you don't have to make HQ items wtfffffffffff this is a joke. Like why even bother spending money on GC turn ins or mats to make GC turn ins for post-lvl.50 crafters or collectibles when for free and in a few mins you can get tons of crafting XP each day. I guess this is basically them throwing a bone to crafters being a waste in general. Despite my anti-crafting/gathering commitment I made when I came back to FFXIV, I was weak and I've still been spending the first 30 mins every day doing all my GC turn-ins either buying or crafting them all ;_; After I catch up with the MSQ after Stormblood I may end up back in crafting... ;_;

Bebpo

« Reply #968 on: June 08, 2017, 04:51:22 AM »
So uh, since I had 8 million gil sitting around and a ton of centuro seals I spent some to see what I could do with my i139 newly lvl.60 character. Spent about 2.5 million of the 8, so I'll need to start selling again at some point.

Bought the best i255 weapon
Bought a i250 body armor
Bought an i250 ring
Bought an i250 arms
Geared the rest out in i200 artifact gear with my seals

jumped to i211 in about 30 mins from becoming level 60. I even tried a B-rank when I was ~i170 to see if I could do it and took it out and got 100 seals which helped get some of that stuff above. Right now the only things left below 200 are i150 legs, i150 feet and i185 face I bought before realizing I could turn in seals for i200 gear. I should have enough seals to replace all 3 with i200 artifact gear in 2 days of 3-star elite marks which I guess will get me to i220-i230 with above setup.

And this is before even getting into the lore turn-in stuff post-game :o HW certainly gives you a lot of ways to gear up quickly compared to ARR where you either do the lore turn-ins for 120->130 or you buy i115 stuff.

What ilevel do I need to be at to finish 3.55 and start SB? *edit* googled and it looks like the highest requirement is i235 for Dun Scaith? I think I should be able to get to i235 right away. At most I'll just need to buy another i250 piece of gear.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 04:58:14 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #969 on: June 08, 2017, 03:20:20 PM »
The highest item level needed for Dungeons/Alexander i230,  and trials/raids is i235. You're p much there, tho you'd still wanna replace any gear you bought that isnt HQ since its only 2/3 as effective as HQ/Blue gear.

Bebpo

« Reply #970 on: June 08, 2017, 03:59:59 PM »
It always feels so weird to gear up so fast after hitting 50/60. Looking forward to the slower more natural progression per patch post-70.

Finishing 3.0 tonight and SB in a week, getting excited :D
Still don't know if I'll get through 3.1-3.55 in a week (should've came back earlier), but I'll play a ton and try to do it so I can try out early access and hopefully get my first dungeon/trial experience of being in a df team where no one knows what to do yet and we just die over and over and learn as we go.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #971 on: June 08, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
Checked Ultros, it's even more dead at night than before I moved, so no hope there for me. Ended up on a Japanese server which seems full of life. Gonna force myself to find a decent FC and make friends - I'm always such a longer in MMOs and I think that takes away a lot of fun/user experience.

Bebpo

« Reply #972 on: June 08, 2017, 08:14:28 PM »
That was my experience for the last few months on Hyperion until I just joined Ultros. Pretty much felt solo and empty outside a few times PT and Sunblades were on. Yeah, Ultros is deaaaaaaaaad by midnight PST. It's so crazy seeing tons of people at 8pm and then I'm playing at 11pm and the same places are ghost town empty. Duckroll plays on your timezone-1 (Singapore) on Ultros with the European gaf players, but yeah if I was in Japan I'd just play on a Japanese server since 90% of the game is single player anyhow.

Bebpo

« Reply #973 on: June 09, 2017, 02:36:35 AM »
Finished the 3.0 story. The final dungeon was kinda of whatever compared to the awesomeness that was the 2.0 dungeon (even if it was a mess with the cutscene handling). I kinda feel ditching the cutscenes hurts it because like the empire general just jumps in and you have a boss fight and jumps out and there's no real plot to anything. Also you get to the center and then you just fight the same people you fought on the outside of the facility, was kinda non-dramatic. Also Ascians suck and are zzz. 3.0 did not do a good job keeping the 2.X Ascian plot momentum. It's like when they show up you go "oh yeah, these guys are in HW too" and then fight them yawn. 3.0 also didn't do a great job of the non-Ishgard stuff. Just seems like they had issues trying to manage multiple plot lines in a single story.

But, the Ishgard story was great and paced really well and very enjoyable. Was a great adventure and the final Knights of the Round boss was cool even if it's a joke difficulty-wise at this point. Hoping the Minstrel Ballad version has some challenge.

Unlocked a few 3.0 things, saw how the Tomes work and it seems getting to i230 will be super easy if you do all the optional stuff and maybe some i260 stuff too. Will unlock the rest of the + quests tomorrow and start on 3.1 and Alexander/Void Ark.

Also the NIN job quest 50-60 sucks. Which is a shame because I enjoyed the 1-50 job quest a good deal. 50-60 starts ok with ninja princess and goofy bodyguard but it's so boring and there's barely any real quests and the antagonist sucks. Hope the 60-70 NIN storyline is more substantial. I would've thought we'd have a 4th mudra by now since the lvl.50 job quest introduced it.

Overall 3.0 was great. Great areas, great music, good story. Looking forward to 3.X and the true ending to the HW story before SB.

Btw, does HW have anything like the Odin/Behemoth FATE map bosses?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 03:16:39 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #974 on: June 09, 2017, 07:04:52 AM »
The Singularity Reactor was never a hard fight, its 100% a for show trial thats there as a spectacle to end 3.0 with.  :whew

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #975 on: June 09, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »
and I can assure you that the extreme version is still a complete fucking bitch to clear.

hs has one major superboss fate, called couerlregina. I've only seen it once and it went down much easier than odin.
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #976 on: June 09, 2017, 10:05:59 AM »
Started another Thauma/going for BLM on a new server. What are the fastest way to level up? I don't care about the MSQs up until where I left off on my old BLM (7th Astra Era) unless I have to do them.

I'm only level 11 btw, started yesterday and intend on being super casual, but I'd like to level up fast especially since I've done it before.

Is FATE grinding worth it? What do I do up until level 15 when I can join dungeons? I guess I need to do the MSQ to get access to the Guildhests?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #977 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
1-20 do the uh hunt log thing... i forget what it's called but it has you tracking down monsters die each different class.
20-30 do fates in South shroud, and some potd for the last few levels.
low 30s do fates in east la noscea
res of the 30s to 40 do fates in Coerthas
40-50 dungeons, fates in North Thanalan once you hit 45 i think

that's prolly not the MOST efficient but it works well. also make sure you find the person in town with the leaf over their head and do all their training missions. you get a ring that boosts exp til lvl 30.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #978 on: June 09, 2017, 10:52:16 AM »
actually now that I think about it, if this is your first class on a character, just do msq. you need it to unlock the guildhests, chocobo, travel, potd, and everything else.
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #979 on: June 09, 2017, 12:05:04 PM »
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. :3

Gonna just do the MSQs and the side stuff I need for various things.

Bebpo

« Reply #980 on: June 09, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
Yeah, you can just do MSQ and blue "+" quests and some sidequests here and there. I don't think the MSQ gives you enough xp to get through the whole thing on its own. There's parts in the 36-50 where I'm pretty sure it's still lacking. So it's not a bad idea to do some sidequests along the way.

Or alternatively, when you hit lvl.27? or something and you unlock Palace of the Dead in Quarrymill, just run that a bunch of times whenever you get level locked in the next MSQ.

After you hit lvl.50 and start 2.1->, I'd suggest doing the trial roulette every day until you get to 2.5. The trials that will show up in the roulette prior to 2.5 are super super short and you get like 20% of a level for a quick 5 min boss fight every day. After 2.5 there starts to be some longer 15-30 min trials you can unfortunately get but it's still worth doing most of the time because 20% of a level for 15-30 mins ain't bad when you need 4 million xp for the next level. In HW, the daily hunts give great xp to and are really quick and the beast tribes can always get you a bunch of xp fast. So it's pretty easy to level in HW with your first job.

Bebpo

« Reply #981 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
Alright, home for the weekend. Time to unlock all the 3.X content and start Alexander/Void ark and 3.1. Time to make some lattes.

« Reply #982 on: June 09, 2017, 11:22:16 PM »
The biggest bump will probably be getting queues for the first two Alexander tiers, since there isnt much reason to go back and do them, Final Tier gets plenty of takers.

Bebpo

« Reply #983 on: June 10, 2017, 12:23:34 AM »
Well, hopefully duckroll has assembled a team for all that stuff and I'll be joining in.

So I finished unlocking everything (I think) and is it weird that there's fewer lvl.60 dungeons and trials than lvl.50 dungeons and trials? I mean core games vs. expansion-aside, I would think in the patches of 3.1-3.5 they would be adding the same amount of content as 2.1-2.5 did in terms of adding like 3 dungeons per patch + a trial + a raid + other stuff.

Also now that I can get into PvP probably since I'm finally level 60. What's the difference between The Fold, The Feast and Frontlines? Are they are just team deathmatch 4v4?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #984 on: June 10, 2017, 12:32:01 AM »
feast is 4v4 or 8v8 deathmatch + grabbing medals from enemy corpses. frontlines is 24 or 72 person team battles with objectives that vary by map. fold...isnt that the original vanilla deathmatch? does anyone play that anymore??

8v8 feast has a good population right now, so you can easily give that a shot. frontlines roulette is the only roulette i regularly do besides trials, because it's quick and it can sometimes be pretty fun.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #985 on: June 10, 2017, 12:37:38 AM »
Cool, I'll try both! I looked at the wiki and apparently I missed unlocking the scholastic quests (I never knew there was a building you could go into in the pillars) and for some reason I can't find the HW hildebrand quest... otherwise I think I got them all and I'm ready to start 3.1 now.

I did some A rank map hunts, was a lot more fun in HW although too easy because tons of people come. It's weird though. On Hyperion everyone would say inv plz and get invited to parties so they get the full xp. But when I tried to say that in Ultros in HW people are like dude just make a pf or join one. But I made one and only 1 other dps joined so our 2 person + my chocobo party did it but we still got the full damage award. People didn't seem particularly helpful :|

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #986 on: June 10, 2017, 12:54:07 AM »
hildy starts by the main aetherite iirc, but it didn't come out til 3.2 so maybe you have to go further in the msq.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #987 on: June 10, 2017, 01:16:39 AM »
Thanks, found it. That and Schola~~~ questlines are normal "!" quests which is why I missed them.

« Reply #988 on: June 10, 2017, 01:17:26 AM »
hildi should have opened once you beat the 3.0 MSQ.

edit: im slo

Bebpo

« Reply #989 on: June 10, 2017, 04:22:04 AM »
The character redesigns are really good in HW/3.X

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thancreed looks great as Nier cosplayer
[close]

Was playing the game tonight on my TV, had played all of HW on my monitor. Running around the HW areas on a 50" tv with full surround sound...so good. These are really beautiful areas, I love the world of Heavensward.

Bebpo

« Reply #990 on: June 10, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Blew through all 3 parts of the 24-person HW raid with duckroll and gaf crew over like 4-5 hours straight. Would not recommend doing that, all kinda a blur. Too much too fast :dizzy
Void Ark was pretty boring. At this point everything melts in seconds and there's no mechanics or patterns that matter so zzzz, Weeping city was good, had nice music and Ozma was cool; still kinda easy though and in no way compares to the epicness that was the Crystal Tower (still the best raid stage imo). Dun Scaith was good as well, I thought the first boss on the ship was actually the best/most fun mechanics-wise as a DPS since there were a lot of patterns to dodge which is what makes it fun as DPS. The final bosses were really strong (I swear I was taking 20k damage hits sometime and I don't have 20k HP) but nothing too interesting and the last boss of it all just felt like a grind. Was no Cloud of Darkness fight where you have to lead the tornados to the boss (or was it the opposite?).

The story was fun, but just a small little adventure sidestory. Didn't feel as interesting or epic, or even as connected to the main story/lore as Crystal Tower raid did. Maybe CT just set the bar too high with all the FF3 nostalgia, the best music ever, gorgeous crystal tower, awesome EMPEROR FIGHT and Cloud of Darkness and freaking Matrador Skeleton dude. HW's raid just felt like a weird FF8/9 mashup halloween party pirate adventure. I enjoyed it but just wasn't that memorable.

Also
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fwiw, I would rather have had Diabolos as a trial that built off his dungeon boss fight than him getting his own raid. The dungeon boss fight with the magic doors tbh seemed more interesting than his raid fight.
[close]

Up to i242 now and at the last quest I think of 3.1 so will get to 3.2 at least today.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #991 on: June 10, 2017, 04:58:54 PM »
dun scaith is SUUUPER long, but it's still my favorite level in the game just because it doesn't really have trash mobs. fuck trash mobs all the way to hell. visuals for Mhach and Scaith were also insane. i wish to god they'd add a photography sidequest someday that'd let you wander around the dungeons snapping pics. about the story... i liked it but it definitely wasn't my favorite. Alex is noticeably worse story-wise, and a lot of players complained about it on release.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #992 on: June 10, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »
oh and almost forgot: scholasticate story fucking sucks my god it's so boring
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #993 on: June 10, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
heavensward still rules tho
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #994 on: June 10, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
dun scaith is SUUUPER long, but it's still my favorite level in the game just because it doesn't really have trash mobs. fuck trash mobs all the way to hell. visuals for Mhach and Scaith were also insane. i wish to god they'd add a photography sidequest someday that'd let you wander around the dungeons snapping pics. about the story... i liked it but it definitely wasn't my favorite. Alex is noticeably worse story-wise, and a lot of players complained about it on release.

I actually thought Dun Scaith was short because it didn't have mobs and only like 3-4 boss fights. It's just that all the bosses have a ton of HP.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #995 on: June 10, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »
if you have a team that doesn't know what they're doing, it can take a long long time. it has like a two hour time limit and I've been on teams that got close a few times. also did you fight an upgraded version of Ultima weapon there? I'm not sure if it was added later or if there's an extended version of the level.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #996 on: June 10, 2017, 09:15:21 PM »
if you have a team that doesn't know what they're doing, it can take a long long time. it has like a two hour time limit and I've been on teams that got close a few times. also did you fight an upgraded version of Ultima weapon there? I'm not sure if it was added later or if there's an extended version of the level.

Yeah we did and people brought it up, apparently they replaced a succubus with it recently. Was a fun fight and my hero moment of the map when he did his I'm gonna wipe you all in 20 seconds countdown and I got resurrected at 5 seconds left, ran up and did a lb3 and killed him with like 2 seconds to go.

We probably took like 30 mins for Dun Scaith, but we got pretty close to wipe a few times. Since I was terrible and barely average item level and a few other gaf people were new we died a lot and the other teams really carried us on a few of the fights.

Btw, what do people call the HW raid? I mean the ARR one you can just call Crystal Tower/CT for the whole thing, but Void Ark/Weeping City/Dun Scaithe are all pretty different naming. I think I'll just call it the Void Ark raid unless people use something else.

Freyj

« Reply #997 on: June 10, 2017, 11:54:02 PM »
Completely forgot SB so was close, preordered through BB / GCU for $30. May cancel and abuse the grace period temporarily depending on how much time I think I'll have.

I need to finish Dun Scaith the night before SB or something.

Bebpo

« Reply #998 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:40 AM »
Finished 3.1 & 3.2, all good stuff and looking forward to the big 3.3 dragonsong end.

Was going around Azy Lls and it just reminds me how the game desperately needs more things to do in maps. Like Zelda BoTW has this huge map, but it's just totally filled with stuff to do so it's worth exploring and doing things. But in FF14, you have giant maps like Azy lls where 50%+ of this map is never used. Like you find cool little islands that they built out and there's just not a single thing to do other than fly by and say "that looks cool" and move on. That area doesn't even have sightseeing logs I think. Like they should come up with something fun they can sprinkle across maps to give you something to do at every area now that maps are huge since HW & flying.

One thing they give you is FATEs, but upon hitting 60 I realized they completely screwed up the way FATE rewards work. I did a FATE chain for 20 mins and all I got was like 500 gold and some GC seals. So basically you get nothing from FATEs, so they made hundreds of this little FATE stories and events spread across the maps and there is 0 incentive for anyone who hit 60 to play them so they're all empty all the time. Like all they have to do is make the FATEs give you whatever currency you're up to. Like Centurio seals + lore + scrip and then people would be doing them just like how people still do HW Hunts.

Yeah, I really like FF14. It's a great game and the best FF in a long time, but the further I get in I notice all the weird/bad game design stuff that keeps things from being even better. The lack of trials in HW and 3.X is pretty bad, since those are hugely replayable and a lot of fun with different challenge levels. Fighting all the various primals from ARR & 2.X has been some of the best stuff in the game. I'm fine with fewer dungeons because dungeons are less replayable imo since they're long and zzz for the trash mobs, but there really should be lots of trials each expansion and post-game. Duckroll mentioned to me that it might be less a budget/time thing and more that a big part of their playerbase doesn't like trials because they're too hard so there's a conscious change to focusing more on single player duties (which are mediocre) and fewer trials/dungeons.

I can't believe there are people who don't like trials out there. It's like people who don't like boss fights in their games  :doge

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #999 on: June 11, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »
you unlock the warring triad questline? that's where all the trials are
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1000 on: June 11, 2017, 12:31:29 PM »
just got the pc version woot

but FUCK I HATE THE FUCKING INSTALLER JESUS CHRIST SQUARE FIX THIS
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #1001 on: June 11, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
you unlock the warring triad questline? that's where all the trials are

Yeah, but you're still talking about like 6 trials in HW vs like 15 in ARR.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1002 on: June 11, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
Small update: Even though I consider myself an experienced MMORPG player, I must say I love the Novice Network. It wasn't around the first time I tried FFXIV, , and even though the training combats are dumb/common sense, the gear they reward is decent temp gear (and looks way fucking better than low level quest/market gear). My favorite is the Novice chat. Even when I don't have questions, I see others asking/answering things I didn't realize were useful to know. Really wish this was around the first time I started this game. But my favorite part of it is the chat because of how much easier it is to run into people and situations where you can make friends.

Playing with others online has kinda been a long problem for me for years, because I've been avoiding people and situations where I'd have to group up. Very few of my online friends are awake during the hours I'm available to play, and I found it too difficult to take initiative to befriend strangers in-game for various reasons. Fear of being yelled at, judged or even creeped on. Anyway I now took initiative and found a really nice group of people! We've got a Discord and a Linkshell, and they seem like really lovely people. There also seems to be some fellow females, which puts me at ease. I'm usually vary of asking for help ingame but the MSQ dungeon queue was too slow (DPSlyfe) so I asked in Novice, and several people offered to help out! I wish I hadn't been such an introverted idiot even online so I could've enjoyed this so much (and other MMOs) a lot sooner.

tl;dr I'm scared of people, but decided to step put of my comfort zone, because FFXIV is quite enjoyable.

Sorry for the weird and long post. Good night, champs.

:mynicca

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1003 on: June 11, 2017, 05:04:13 PM »
woohoo i'm in! had to use a fucking vpn to get it to download. oddly enough, i was able to log into my regular character even tho i only have the base game. it just wont let me access heavensward areas or quests. redoing all my config and hud settings, gear sets, and hotbars is gonna be a cock and a half and GOD i wish there was a way around that.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1004 on: June 11, 2017, 05:07:52 PM »
butt it's good to reach out to people sometimes in the game congrats! aside from the endgame players, this is the nicest community i've ever come across in a game. i found a group that's friendly but is ok with me not being very social most of the time. i just try to return the favor when others help me out, but otherwise i'm usually quiet and it works just fine.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #1005 on: June 11, 2017, 08:56:49 PM »
Small update: Even though I consider myself an experienced MMORPG player, I must say I love the Novice Network. It wasn't around the first time I tried FFXIV, , and even though the training combats are dumb/common sense, the gear they reward is decent temp gear (and looks way fucking better than low level quest/market gear). My favorite is the Novice chat. Even when I don't have questions, I see others asking/answering things I didn't realize were useful to know. Really wish this was around the first time I started this game. But my favorite part of it is the chat because of how much easier it is to run into people and situations where you can make friends.

Playing with others online has kinda been a long problem for me for years, because I've been avoiding people and situations where I'd have to group up. Very few of my online friends are awake during the hours I'm available to play, and I found it too difficult to take initiative to befriend strangers in-game for various reasons. Fear of being yelled at, judged or even creeped on. Anyway I now took initiative and found a really nice group of people! We've got a Discord and a Linkshell, and they seem like really lovely people. There also seems to be some fellow females, which puts me at ease. I'm usually vary of asking for help ingame but the MSQ dungeon queue was too slow (DPSlyfe) so I asked in Novice, and several people offered to help out! I wish I hadn't been such an introverted idiot even online so I could've enjoyed this so much (and other MMOs) a lot sooner.

tl;dr I'm scared of people, but decided to step put of my comfort zone, because FFXIV is quite enjoyable.

Sorry for the weird and long post. Good night, champs.

:mynicca

My wife is the same way about MMOs, but loves playing them. The forced dungeons / trials really put her off despite my explaining that it's generally a much more friendly community than WoW, etc.

XIV reminds me a little of how playing MMOs used to feel. Much more just weird adults playing an online game than the try-hard, toxic communities elsewhere where every piece of group content no matter how minor is super serious and there's no room for error or first-timers.

Bebpo

« Reply #1006 on: June 12, 2017, 04:09:36 AM »
So I finally got my wish and in the 3.3 dungeon Sohk Kar I got an entire party of first time players like myself. No one knew the dungeon and it was so fun omg. Especially because the bosses have some complexities to them. We'd run around trying stuff and paying attention and then roundtable what we learned and figure out a strategy. Died once on the moogle boss and once on the Unicorn boss but took out both fast on the second try with what we learned and strategized. Beat the dragon boss on the first try, not sure if just got lucky or the boss wasn't particularly complex.

Had a lot of teamwork. Talking, laughing and felt really good and proud of ourselves when we beat it.

What a cool experience.

*edit* finished the final boss of 3.3. What a fight. I am not looking forward to doing the extreme version of that :lol
Gonna watch all the cutscenes and finish 3.3, start 3.4 tomorrow night. 3.3 was an excellent end to HW's story. Really weird how HW is basically is 3.0-3.3 like they couldn't finish it in time so picked an ending spot and shipped it only to patch in the rest of the game. Kinda hoping they don't do that with SB since I'd like a full satisfying story/adventure within the shipped game and not over a year of patches.

But overall counting 3.3 as the last 10-15 hours of the main game, HW is an great rpg and the best FF's been since the first half of FF12. Looking forward to the ending cutscenes tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:03:57 AM by Bebpo »

« Reply #1007 on: June 12, 2017, 06:58:28 AM »
3.3 ends the Dragonsong War arc because they need time to wrap up other plot threads and build up/escalate the Ala Mhigan scenario for the expansion.  :P

I dunno if you did it already, but since you beat Dun Scaith, you can accept a weekly turn in quest in Idylshire for a free i270 accessory that just requires you to clear Dun Scaith again. Weekly resets are every Tuesday, so today's the day to do it so you can get two accessories before StormBlood!

The Heavensward Raid series name is Shadow of Mhach, since it details the rise and fall of that particular civilization and the lingering effects it still has on Eorzea. Most people just call them the Void Ark raids tho since its easier to remember.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 07:47:12 AM by The Legend of Sunblade »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1008 on: June 12, 2017, 09:07:38 AM »
Oh fuuuck I just realized something. I won't be able to buy subscriptions once I move back to Europe, since my account is Japanese. :(
The MogStation only allows Japanese credit cards and won't even take my current one so I've always bought them from the konbini.

Or hm, I could ask some friends to give me codes and pay them back somehow, that is probably my only way. I own up until HS and I refuse to buy the game again. lol

Bebpo

« Reply #1009 on: June 12, 2017, 01:21:14 PM »
Oh fuuuck I just realized something. I won't be able to buy subscriptions once I move back to Europe, since my account is Japanese. :(
The MogStation only allows Japanese credit cards and won't even take my current one so I've always bought them from the konbini.

Or hm, I could ask some friends to give me codes and pay them back somehow, that is probably my only way. I own up until HS and I refuse to buy the game again. lol

I think there is a way to make this work, the game is surprisingly region free. I'm on a Japanese SE account English Mogststion paying in steam credits playing in Japanese on a US server. I'd mess around with it and see if you can find something that works.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1010 on: June 12, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »

I think there is a way to make this work, the game is surprisingly region free. I'm on a Japanese SE account English Mogststion paying in steam credits playing in Japanese on a US server. I'd mess around with it and see if you can find something that works.
My MogStation is in Japanese because I bought the game from the Japanese SE eShop. I can't switch MogStation language, although I can play in any language like anyone else. The game is region free but my account isn't. Like when I went to optional items in the MogStation it specifically said in Japanese that cards issued outside of Japan won't work.

Why Steam credits, did you buy it through Steam? Because I didn't.

Bebpo

« Reply #1011 on: June 12, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »
I did buy through steam. Does JP mogstation not take crysta in alternative to credit cards? You can usually buy crysta different ways.

Bebpo

« Reply #1012 on: June 12, 2017, 03:06:39 PM »
So duckroll had me look at the SB changes to NIN because it's about to drop on my character and pretty mixed feelings. Duckroll tells on his dragoon it's great and nothing but buffs, but on NIN I lose my self-healing & damage over time and gain a bunch of combo/ninjutsu buffing and extra combos/ninjutsu in. Will definitely do more damage output, but lack of self-healing is frustrating. Also losing DoT and one combo ender just means two less complexities in combat rotation which I prefer the more complex, the better.  But I guess the new 60-70 moves will bring it back to lvl.60 rotation complexity.

...still bummed about losing self-healing.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1013 on: June 12, 2017, 08:56:43 PM »
I did buy through steam. Does JP mogstation not take crysta in alternative to credit cards? You can usually buy crysta different ways.
If it was through Steam I could've just bought Steam gaming cards.

Not sure about Crysta.. I might have the same issues as the in-game items where it'll only take Japanese credit cards. Worst case scenario I'll have to buy the game again. That might be the best option anyway since I should stick to EU servers, and those aren't available in the Japanese version, afaik? At least I can only see NA and Japan data centers/servers.

Bebpo

« Reply #1014 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:54 PM »
Can you transfer your character between versions? Aren't you really early and doing MSQ? Might make more sense to double dip and grab the steam version. It's like $10-15 with a free month a lot of the time.

Speaking of all this nonsense, I actually just got fucked myself. Had no idea the steam version was different than the PC version, so I bought the Stormblood PC download off the Square Enix store and it doesn't work with my steam FFXIV :| Had to double dip and buy Stormblood again and I'm asking SE for a refund which I'll see what happens. If they don't refund it I'll have an extra HW/Stormblood NA code for anyone that wants it.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #1015 on: June 12, 2017, 10:57:22 PM »
How do you pay for the sub for the Steam version? Just buy Steam game cards and use the Steam currency? I take it Steam still doesn't sell game cards officially online? I read somewhere you can pay directly from bank cards on the Steam version in MogStation, so I hope/assume the Steam wallet isn't the only option. Or can you directly add funds to your wallet?

Also, good news: I just realized there ARE European servers listed on my current account/version. So I could keep playing my current character and then do a World Transfer later after I move.

My only worry is the payment stuff, I wanna be sure I can use Norwegian payment methods. Which is the only reason I'll switch accounts in the first place. Actually I do have a Norwegian bank card here, I'll try to buy a sub with it later today.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to wait until I move to buy it on Steam (since my Steam is set to Japan it says on the store page that it's the Japanese version, and requires a Japanese SE account to play. That could be trouble if they redirect me to the MogStation when trying to pay with my card.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 11:24:33 PM by butt »

Bebpo

« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2017, 04:13:19 AM »
Watched the ending of 3.3 (good) and did all of 3.4 in one night. That was kinda long. Wasn't a big fan of 3.4, going back to the Scions and honestly the Scions are pretty dull compared to the HW characters. They need to have a better main party at some point ^^; A lot of 3.4 felt kinda fillerish side story connector between HW and SB. Was alright, just not that exciting.

Have two nights now to do 3.5/3.55, so feel pretty comfortable about catching up in time. Looking forward to 3.5/3.55 in hopes that it gets me interested and looking forward to the SB plot, because right now I'm feeling like HW was an exception and SB's gonna be a lot worse. Hard to go from Cool knights and dragons to like the desert dudes resistance party vs the boring empire zzz. And I'm kinda Japan/Ninja'd out from the zzz NIN job quest. And another allagan mecha weapon Omega sounds pretty uninteresting compared to giant Bahamut and Alexander the living castle. Have low expectations for pretty much everything SB, so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

How do you pay for the sub for the Steam version? Just buy Steam game cards and use the Steam currency? I take it Steam still doesn't sell game cards officially online? I read somewhere you can pay directly from bank cards on the Steam version in MogStation, so I hope/assume the Steam wallet isn't the only option. Or can you directly add funds to your wallet?

Also, good news: I just realized there ARE European servers listed on my current account/version. So I could keep playing my current character and then do a World Transfer later after I move.

My only worry is the payment stuff, I wanna be sure I can use Norwegian payment methods. Which is the only reason I'll switch accounts in the first place. Actually I do have a Norwegian bank card here, I'll try to buy a sub with it later today.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to wait until I move to buy it on Steam (since my Steam is set to Japan it says on the store page that it's the Japanese version, and requires a Japanese SE account to play. That could be trouble if they redirect me to the MogStation when trying to pay with my card.

Yeah, I just pay with steam wallet which I fund through credit card in a paypal kinda way.

bluemax

« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2017, 07:34:25 PM »
This FFXIV trailer on the SqEXE stream is super dramatic.

HOLD THE LINE!

KIN SLAYER!

Wait you can play as Auron? I'm in.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #1018 on: June 14, 2017, 02:40:52 AM »
Cleared 3.55. 440 hours later, finally caught up with MSQ!

Now just need to do:
-All lvl.60 non-msq dungeons
-Alexander
-All HW extreme trials
-All HW minstrel trials
-HW Hildebrand quests (though without trials sounds boring ;_;)
-Scholastic quests
-Aquapolis
-Diededum or whatever pirate thing
-Finish PoTD someday
-All beast tribe stories
-try all the PVP stuff like Frontlines

And Stormblood 4.0 MSQ. Yeah, I got a lot of content for the next few months.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 02:46:46 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #1019 on: June 14, 2017, 03:37:11 PM »
Didn't realize Warring Triad have hard & extreme. Thought they were just extreme. So 5 primals, 2 bosses with extreme versions of all 7 for 14 trials total. Not bad. Dungeon count is also pretty decent after all the 3.X dungeons. If only Hildebrand had trials...I wonder if they took them out because they want to make comedy Hildebrand accessible to all players, including those who are terrible at trials. Too bad though, the best cameos were in those in ARR.