Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 213445 times)

Himu

FFXIV
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
I wanted to read the manual while on the toilet and there's a small leaflet. I remember XI's manual to be thick. I know other games do that now but doing this for a meaty mmo? Blasphemy. Oh well, we saved the forest at least but still.

Guess I'll join Hyperion.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:25:36 PM by bork »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: I got FFXIV
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:46:35 AM »
hyperion is the best choce bc cool ppl party on it and it is very active. add me for the recruit a friend campaign so we get bonus items plz.

also prepare for awesomeness. it's a huge game with a ton of content, so it will take time to learn it all. fortunately the playerbase is generally friendly and helpful so if you got a question all you have to do is ask.

this is your first mmo, right?
pcp

Himu

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:58:58 AM »
hyperion is the best choce bc cool ppl party on it and it is very active. add me for the recruit a friend campaign so we get bonus items plz.

also prepare for awesomeness. it's a huge game with a ton of content, so it will take time to learn it all. fortunately the playerbase is generally friendly and helpful so if you got a question all you have to do is ask.

this is your first mmo, right?

game sounds great and all but to answer your question...

I remember XI's manual to be thick

No. Ragnarok Online.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:52:52 AM »
SE interface is fucking awful please kill me

Try to log in. It requests username. I enter username and password. No username of this name available. Try a few times, same thing. Try email and it works. For some reason I'm logged into the account I used for the trial and can't log out. I'm trying to find save data so I can delete my user save data off the system and log into my main SE account. No dice. Basically, I want to die
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:44 AM »
I got stuck for a week because I didn't understand that I could ignore the one-time use password. shit is terrible. I'd say login and then change your info afterwards. deleting stuff on your end prolly won't do anything.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Now I can't log in. I logged in and it wasn't the same account I used to log in with. :lol

Please kill me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 12:20:49 PM »
No fucking wonder I can't log out. Apparently this thing links to your psn account. How utterly distinguished mentally-challenged.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 12:31:49 PM »
please stick with it it's worth it!

also be aware that it has a huge download after you log on, so you might want to go get your game boy or something
pcp

Himu

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »
i already did the trial. I know the awfulness of the dl.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »
did you leave the game on your system? if you did you don't have to go thru that again.

what class are you picking? i can hop on and show you around in a few hours.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »
EVERYONE PLAY THIS FUCKING GAME
pcp

Himu

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:57:58 PM »
SE customer service is dog shit.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 01:00:10 PM »
go to mogstation on your browser and see if you can change your info there
pcp

Himu

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 01:11:21 PM »
googled "square enix customer service terrible"

and found this on reddit

I had made a terrible mistake of putting in the wrong DoB when making my account as I didn't have any good expectations when playing this game in open beta(boy was I wrong). Anyway, there was a mandatory password swap awhile back and I couldn't change my PW because I didn't know my fake DoB.

I called up customer service with my ID and credit card info ready to verify who I was only to learn they didn't accept either, instead me and the guy had a guessing game on my fake birthday. So we sat there and with me counting down the years, months and days him practically going "warmer.... warmer.... you're red hot! " He couldn't legally tell me what it was even though it was in front of his face. It was probably the silliest customer service call I've ever had.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »
account unlinked. thank god for customer chat.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
If you don't get too far in the next month or so, I'll sub and play through the main story campaign with you.  I've never played an MMO other than like the first 30 mins of FFXI/FFXIV, but I decided one of my new years resolutions for 2017 is gonna be to play through an MMO starting with FFXIV (and if I like it maybe I'll go back and play through FFXI).  but I wanna finish up P5 and play FFXV first, so probably wouldn't be jumping in until late January at earliest.  If you're still playing then, we should team up!

Himu

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
I'm just setting it up for now. Gonna beat FFXV then start on XIV while finishing up VII. So we will team up and everything. Just need to set up server and character.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 01:44:21 PM »
Log into SE site on phone. It asks for SE ID. SE ID is your email. It requires email and pw.

Go to FFXIV log in screen on ps4. It requires SE ID. You can't enter email so it's not your id. Enter SE username and PW and neither work but you can't log in with email. So I can't log in.

Please kill me.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
I give up. Fuck this game. :lol
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:56 PM »
Yeah i played it on pc and it was fun, then wanted to try the trial on ps4 with my se id but that was such a clusterfuck I gave up

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:29 PM »
go to mogstation on your browser
change username and password
use new username to log into ff14 on ps4
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
are 33 year olds allowed in to mogstation?

asking for a friend

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 04:35:40 PM »
I give up. Fuck this game. :lol

PlayOnline and the whole Square account thing is REALLY a barrier for most folks. It's like an MGO/KonamiAccount thing.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 04:49:25 PM »
are 33 year olds allowed in to mogstation?

asking for a friend

mogstation is a wonderful place open to all with whimsy in their hearts
pcp

Himu

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 06:15:45 PM »
Got in.

Okay for future reference because this company if fucking stupid.

There's technically three SE ids.

When I played FF7 steam I saw my id every time and assumed that was it. Turns out that's a nick name only.

Then there's the email of course.

But there's also a username. Mine was the same as my nick name but with a 5 added to it. But when I logged into FF7 steam I never saw this username. I had to log into my SE account and find it.

So there's:

email
username
nick name

Don't make the mistake of thinking your nickname is your username.

:snoop
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
I'll be back home in a few hours to harass you/give you items. what's you're starting class and city?
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »
If you think registrering is hell (it really was), just make sure you never lose access to your security token/one time password. That shit almost had me kill someone.

FFXIV is great, I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you're into FF and MMORPGs.
My sub ran out.. This thread makes me want to re-sub.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 08:57:33 PM »
i was away for like 4 months and it was hell. never again.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
There's a free 4 days of playtime for lapsed accounts going on right now I think. I'll probably get on and try to catch up on the story stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 10:56:14 PM »
Is FFXIV better to play on PC or PS4?  I'd assume PC with a PS4 controller + kb for typing chat?

Also, I own FFXIV on PC, but not Heavensword.  Just Realm Reborn.  Can I play through the main story with this or does Heavensword add really useful game things that would make the main story more enjoyable?

Himu

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 11:11:52 PM »
Either. I have a USB kb hooked up to my ps4.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »
you don't need heavensward at all til you get to that point in the story.
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 01:01:17 AM »
It'll take quite a while to get to HW assuming they never implement a skip. 2.1 - 2.5 is a shit load of content.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 06:28:14 AM »
Is FFXIV better to play on PC or PS4?  I'd assume PC with a PS4 controller + kb for typing chat?

Also, I own FFXIV on PC, but not Heavensword.  Just Realm Reborn.  Can I play through the main story with this or does Heavensword add really useful game things that would make the main story more enjoyable?
It probably doesn't matter, but boils down to personal preferences. If you have a very good computer, why not just play on PC for the best graphics? Or just stick with console, either is fine.

There are shittons of MSQs to do before you can access the Heavensword content, so there's little point in buying it right away. You need to be level 50, but also have completed tons of quests to access it. So once you reach level 50, you still have tons of quests (MSQs up until patch 2.55) to do unlock Ishgard. However, I would suggest you buy it right before you hit level 50, since that's the level cap of the game until you have Heavensward. You wanna keep earning XP once you hit 50. At least I believe this is how it works. So if you hit level 50 without the expansion, you won't earn any XP from killing mobs/doing quests. I'm sure someone else can confirm/deny this if I'm wrong. Also, you get to play Au'Ra from the start, if you want that.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 07:05:41 AM »
nah you're right. i was around 52 by the time I started Heavensward.
pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
After I finish 15 I'll be going back to this game. I can feel it. I already know I'll be in an FF mood haha

Himu

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »
How long do the pointless mmo fetch quests last in this game? In the trial I saw some crazy well directed cutscenes featuring some taro.

Speaking of which, changing the FFXI makes makes no sense to me. I hate all of the XIV race names. They're awful and overly foreign.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
a lot of the original 2.0 story has bullshit fetch quests, which is why it's the weakest in the "series." they ease up on them after, and by the time you get to heavensward they're mostly gone. just know that when they say titan has appeared that you're in for the single worst sequence of the game.

also remember that 2.0 was a remake on a budget, and it shows sometimes. there's not much voice acting and not a ton of fully animated cutscenes. again, this is different from later add-ons, where they started putting more of that in. heavensward has a lot, and the upcoming expansion supposedly has three times the budget so it should have some wild stuff in it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:20:12 PM by Positive Touch »
pcp

Tasty

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 02:39:32 PM »
What was 1.0 actually like? All I heard is the UI was terrible. Is there anything left of 1.0 in 2.0+?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
didn't play 1.0 but it was almost universally regarded as terrible. unlike ff13 it didn't even get good reviews, and the company president publicly apologized for the game.  some of the things I've heard were:

no auto attack
poor explanation of features
terrible crafting
ran like shit
copied landmarks around maps that made navigation a pain

the remake is written as a sequel, but it repurposes events which in sure was to shorten development time. so is still the same basic storyline and game design, just done much much better in 2.0
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 04:18:56 PM »
Apparently a not insignificant chunk of 1.0 was farmed out to some Chinese devs on the cheap, too.
dog

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 05:08:11 PM »
holy shit you mean to tell me each area was a single map?? the maps in 2.0 are already huge; no wonder ppl in 1.0 complained about getting lost! 1.0 definitely looked better than 2.0 tho. like i said, you can see in some ways how 2.0 was done on a budget. clearest example is how 1.0 had normal cutscenes, while 2.0 has scenes that look about as nice as a kemco rpg.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
what in the fucking hell that looks horrible
pcp

Freyj

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2016, 02:42:30 AM »
A lot of XIs maps kinda look like that when you apply the actual paths to the seemingly open zones.

Nothing like making your way across a map to a quest only to figure out you didn't take the right path 20 minutes ago.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 10:02:16 AM »
1.0 had a lot of loading and most of the areas were copy/paste. That was easily the most "cheap" feeling part of the game. The no auto attack was not really an issue though, cause combat was all about strategic skill usage and timing your skills with party members for chains. there just wasn't a ton there unfortunately. quests took to you like...level 30ish? Then it was all about grinding and doing repeatable missions and guildleves and such. It was also a bit easier to play on a controller but only cause you barely used any skills. The cross-class stuff was cool though. You could use almost any skill from any class which was a fun idea. The UI was a mess though. :lol (pics spoilered for size)

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Also there were some quests and cutscenes that would only come to you in dreams, so as soon as you logged in you'd get a cutscene or you'd wake up to an NPC that got all their stuff stolen during the night at the inn and you had to track it down.

[close]

There was also no Auction House, so you couldn't look up items to buy/sell. They had the Market Ward which was everyone's goddamn retainers standing around and you'd have to examine each one to see what they were selling. They did eventually add a search to it, but all that did was tell you which retainer to talk to and the search was single-city only. Also for retainers you picked their personality as well as their look, which was cool at the time. That might still be in but I already had a couple of 1.0 retainers so I never made any in 2.0

[close]

Gathering classes were fun cause they each had a little minigame to get resources, which was another fun idea and actually made gathering slightly less boring. Crafting on the other hand was a shitshow. It also had a minigame but that shit was basically just random :lol

[close]

Also you needed a good PC to play it, cause it was legit impossible on low settings (pics below). There was no way this game was ever going to run on a PS3.

[close]

But it was a fun game (that was a lot like a jank XI part 2 rather than what ARR is now) and actually being there for the end of the world as the moon crashed into the planet and the empire invaded...and then the game kicked into a cutscene as everything was killed off. Very cool

[close]

I enjoyed what I played of it and it helped that the game was free for most of its life but 2.0 is a such a vast improvement cause I was able to actually get my friends to play it with me. :lol

Also sorry for all these words about a dead game that no one liked lol
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 12:11:35 PM by nachobro »

Freyj

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2016, 11:45:08 AM »
I always enjoy reading about 1.0. I only ever played alpha / beta and almost immediately noped out because it was an unplayable mess, but I wish I'd come back to see the wild ass endgame stuff play out.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 04:01:05 PM »
i should have specified, there was loading but it was more of a "longer, less often loads" rather than how 2.0 is more split up. each larger zone was one big area that was just copy/pasted over and over again so you didn't have to load except going between larger areas. the copy/pastes would be like...half to a quarter of a 2.0 sub-zone just repeated over and over so you'd walk around and say "there's that same rock formation again, up next is the weird looking tree and a spiral area to walk up". but then every cutscene was a load to get in and out, each quest was a load, and going to areas like the market ward was a load. market ward loads sucked cause each retainer was unique since the gear they were selling they also wore.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:05:22 PM by nachobro »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 10:50:42 PM »
QUEEN LOG IN
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 09:55:31 AM »
A look at 1.0s problems.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2016, 11:14:54 AM »
Edit: I'll watch the vid you posted later Rufus, on mobile.
You'll want to skip straight to 7:30 anyway. :doge

The guy who made it is trying a little too hard. It's really not a good video at all. :doge
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:22:22 AM by Rufus »

Tasty

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2016, 11:35:48 AM »
A look at 1.0s problems.

Oh my fuck is this guy's voice and presentation annoying

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2016, 11:55:11 AM »
I'm sorry. :stahp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
Also I wouldn't mind making a Hyperion alt if other Borians are going to be on.

HEAR THAT GUYS? GREAT TIME TO SIGN UP, RIGHT NOW

TWO WEEKS FREE WITH THE DEMO AVAILABLE NOW ON PS4 AND STEAM 
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2016, 11:15:16 PM »
Will post here since I like Queen's thread and the other one will probably die out eventually.

(bebpo's first totally lost & confused MMO journal):

So I played a little more, got up to lvl.12 and did LEVEES quests.  So like, battle levees seem just like normal quests?  Go here and kill a few monsters and a paragraph of text story behind it.  Took the starting 4-5 and did them and was ok.  Only thing interesting beyond that was you can +1-? the levels of the enemy to get more challenge and xp.  I can usually take on about 3 levels higher enemy at the start with my lvl.10 gear + like 3 actual attack skills. 

Then I tried GUILDEEVES aka, PvE DEATHMATCH MODE.  Teleport to a small arena with 3 other people at your level and kill a bunch of enemies together.  This was kinda fun, mainly because it was the first time I've fought together with other people and honestly 1 on 1 rpg battles are so fucking boring.  I hit them, they hit me, I hit them, they hit me, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz; A group smashing on an enemy is a lot more fun!  My only thought here is that because it's so easy, it's literally warp to this screen and go smash a bunch of enemies brainlessly PRESS WIN BUTTON get some xp/loot.  The solo quests have been brain dead easy so far too.

I think I'll like the combat more when it gets challenging and you gotta use your brains and skills/equip to survive.  Equip-wise there's not much choice at ~lvl.10.  There's soldier clothes/magic clothes and like 1 sword that's a lvl.7 viking sword for sword classes.  Combat-wise, my gladiator dude has the most boring movelist ever.  I go fast attack -> strong attack combo, fast attack -> other strong attack combo, fast attack -> strong attack combo.  AND THAT IS ALL I CAN DO  :'(  I mean at the start, yeah I buff atk/def and I got this move that I guess pulls enemies to me which is good in a party, but for 99% of the battle I stand in front of the enemy and go fast attack -> strong attack, fast attack -> strong attack.  Basically the most boring combat I've ever played in an rpg.  Even FF1 was better at the start!  Can I do a gladiator/mage combo so at least I can juggle some cool magic along with my fast attack->strong attack?

I've been pulling up the recommendations and seeing the quests it's telling me.  I do anything with a +, like I just visited the housing district but the quest was literally "go to the entrance of the housing district, say "hi", leave and report back" so that quest did ZERO to tell me what this whole Goblet place is even about other than that it exists.  One day maybe I'll look into it.  Right now I don't have any other + quests so I'm just gonna do some more MSQs. 

I saw everything was now CHRISTMAS!  Which was totally cool.  The main x-mas quest seems like it's lvl.15, so I'm gonna try to get up to lvl.15 so I can do it and see the quality of the special event type quests.

At some point can I ride a chocobo and control it?  Because right now I can just have it auto-ride between places.  Also I guess I should be a gardner or something because I like the sound of discovering treasure maps and finding some fucking chests because goddamn I love chests in rpgs and I'm sad I have not seen a chest in FFXIV :(  Also can't wait to get to an actual dungeon!  It's weird being like 5 hours in and not having seen a dungeon yet.  I can imagine playing with a party, kinda like the guildeeves and going through a dungeon together whomping shit would be a lot of fun.  How do parties even work if everyone is different levels, the level differences are so huge, like if I play with some of you guys who are 20 levels higher, I can't imagine we can do a dungeon together since if it's at my level you'll just 1 hit kill all the enemies, and if it's at your level I won't be able to even hit the enemies?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2016, 11:46:00 PM »
-battle leves fucking suck. they're boring and they give shit exp. just do fates instead if you're trying to level a fighting class. save your leve allowances for crafting/gathering classes

-guildleves are with doing at least once. each one teaches you mechanics that you'll use against bosses later.

-you get a chocobo at around level 20.just keep doing story quests till you get to it.

-each dungeon has a cap that your stats will be brought down to if you're high level. you also can only use skills up to whatever level the dungeon is (like level 20 skills in a level 20 dungeon). after a dungeon has been out for a few months they give you the option of playing it without the cap, provided you assemble your own party.

edit: i typed all this shit so I'm posting it dammit
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2016, 01:08:19 AM »
I need help.  I got to lvl.15 and doing this lvl.14 MSQ where I fight a bunch of badguy dudes including a lvl.20 boss who summons a voidmonster guy.  I beat these guys and then my allies leave and I have a 1 on 1 fight with a lvl.16 masked dude who summons a lvl.15 gargoyle and they're both wailing on me and as a gladiator I can only buff a little and they're doing decent damage on me per hit and I can't do anything besides use a potion once every minute or two when the cooldown runs out but they do too much damage and kill me between potions.  I'm wearing full lvl.15 equipment so my defense stats basically doubled when I hit lvl.15, but I dunno, it feels like I need a healer or something backing me up in this fight?

Also I dunno how to do jobs/classes yet.  At lvl.15 it said I can move to my 2nd class or something, but I don't know how.  Also there's all these guilds, should I join one?

Freyj

« Reply #56 on: December 16, 2016, 01:33:11 AM »
Your equipped weapon determines your class. Sword and Board for GLD. 2H Axe for MRD, etc.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2016, 01:45:42 AM »
I need help.  I got to lvl.15 and doing this lvl.14 MSQ where I fight a bunch of badguy dudes including a lvl.20 boss who summons a voidmonster guy.  I beat these guys and then my allies leave and I have a 1 on 1 fight with a lvl.16 masked dude who summons a lvl.15 gargoyle and they're both wailing on me and as a gladiator I can only buff a little and they're doing decent damage on me per hit and I can't do anything besides use a potion once every minute or two when the cooldown runs out but they do too much damage and kill me between potions.  I'm wearing full lvl.15 equipment so my defense stats basically doubled when I hit lvl.15, but I dunno, it feels like I need a healer or something backing me up in this fight?

Also I dunno how to do jobs/classes yet.  At lvl.15 it said I can move to my 2nd class or something, but I don't know how.  Also there's all these guilds, should I join one?
Do some leves and stuff to level up to 16 or 17, it should make a difference with that quest. And as far as I remember, the NPCs will come and help you after a while (I think when the Gargoyle is at 20% HP), so you'll just have to stay alive with the Antidote and Hi-Potions. You could also just level a Conjurer to 2 (all classes go on the same char) to get the healing skill Cure (or 8 for Protect too).

To level another class, just visit their Guild. The Conjurer is in Gridania. Then you simply just switch main weapon as mentioned above, between the classes to switch as you'd like. You can save gear builds from the character profile to make it faster/easier.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 01:50:27 AM by butt »

Bebpo

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2016, 03:36:23 AM »
Thanks Bu, yeah after I read your post I went back and my problem was the first time I accidently aggro'd both and they killed me.  The second time I stayed the fuck away from the mage and just fought the gargoyle and then the NPC came in and it was no problem.

So after discovering CLASS CHANGING omg, I'm having a ton of fun.  I didn't realize MMOs were Diablo-like where you run multiple characters via jobs but you have one pool of equipment and so each time you start a new job at lvl.1 you're a badass level 1 and leveling goes much faster.  Also quest jobs are cool!  It's fun doing the stories of them.  I got Gladiator to lvl.16 and then switched to a Therm~~~ aka black mage and got that to lvl.6.  Was a lot of fun shooting fireballs and ice after all those hours just smacking things boringly with Gladiator.  Being able to instant change jobs just from the equip screen + auto-equip best equipment is GREAT and now I want to level all the classes and I'm hooked.

Also!  Now I see the point of allllll these tons of low level city quests!  And Battleleeves!  I get it now.  When you do other jobs from lvl.1 it's not like the old quests come back, so as you do multiple jobs you end up completing most of these small quests in the world and learning more about the world along your multiple job runs.  Battleleeves are kinda fun at the start with a new job too with +4-5 levels; shit is scary intense & challenging with some ok rewards since you don't need much xp to level early on.

Then I did the christmas lvl.15 quests in the city and at first they were dumb and simple, but then they started having a plotline and it was kinda neat!  But I'm stuck at the 3rd quest in the questline, I need to go to one of the other starting cities to talk to an NPC, but uh, even though the quest was lvl.15, I don't think I am able to leave the starting city area yet?  I tried going to the docks and they only take me to other docks in the area.  I'm guessing to travel between mini-world maps you have to use the airships, right?  And I went to the airship place to buy a ticket to the Loma place but they said I need an airship pass.  How do I get an airship pass?  Is that a story thing where I need to get further in?  Cause I gotta get an airship pass before this xmas quest disappears so I can finish it!

Also, Queen of Ice, what's your character name?  I need to add more Bore people to my friendlist.  All night long I was playing and the two people in my friend list (213372bu & Postive Touch) weren't online so I was just playing solo all night.  I think I might be part of some sort of Bore chat thing that Postive Touch added me to on the first night but I can't seem to figure out how to access it; I just see random people talking in green in my chat occasionally.  For now, I just want to add everyone to my friendslist so if you're playing when I'm playing I can join you.  My character is Dequillo Ternathem.

Oh and what's the closest equivalent to a glass cannon class/job?  Because that's the kind of stuff I like to play as, super high damage output, but can die real quick so gotta go with skill & luck.

Anyhow, probably not gonna play much for a week or so unless I see boreans online in which I'll join in.  Played like 8-9 hours in 2 days.  Shit is addictive.  Need to finish up P5, but will come back and put a ton of hours into this most likely after I do.  After tonight's session and the game opening up and getting more fun I definitely feel like this could be my first MMO I actually play through the main scenario from start to finish (and then if I'm liking it I'll probably join in on the expansions after).  How do they work it if you're a marathon gamer and you clear the whole game + heavensword expansion in a month or two and then you don't want to play the game anymore, but you'll come back for the next expansion?  If you cancel your account after you're done until the next expansion do they delete your character or anything aka forcing you to keep paying $15/month between expansions just to keep your character so you can jump back in for the next expansion?  Or is it cool if you cancel after you beat the main scenario for each expansion and then resign on each time there's a new one aka playing it like a single player game.

Couple of other thoughts,
-The uh, lack of any sort of character emotion to the PC in cutscenes is fucking hilarious.  It's like people talk to your character and your PC has this dead stare to infinity all the time.  Like they couldn't have scripted some facial reactions for cutscenes?  I mean there are a ton of emotes you can manually trigger.  It just sorta screams budget, especially combined with the lack of VA, minimal cutscene direction, minimal cutscene animation.  I mean it's not like there are that many real cutscene events as is (so far I've seen like 3 quests with real cutscenes out of like 30-50 quests).  I read the recent interview with Yoshi-P where he said advice on making your game not suck "can't focus too much on high quality graphics" which I agree with, but I think there's a middleground where your PC can still smile or laugh or have some reaction along with the other characters so it doesn't seem like they totally stick out as not being part of the cutscene.  Maybe I just notice it more because I'm playing as a 10 foot tall caveman who just stares off into the distance when little people talk to him.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:08:35 AM by Bebpo »

Freyj

« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
Been a while, but pretty sure my character model has facial expressions in Heavensward content. It isn't like single player level stuff though.

And you can unsubscribe and resub without worry. No deletes.