Author Topic: FFXIV  (Read 213466 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: I got FFXIV
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2016, 09:07:41 AM »
after that fight you're allllmost at the part where you unlock airship travel.

you're character will start interacting more in cutscenes, but mostly tends to just nod lol. the cutscenes get better the further you get into the game, although they never look as fancy as most modern games tho. the next expansion supposedly has a much bigger budget, so maybe they'll put some more money into them then.
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2016, 10:22:57 AM »
I always skip the cutscenes.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:18 AM »
:/ :/ :/
pcp

Himu

« Reply #63 on: December 16, 2016, 10:42:13 AM »
My name is in the LS. Will message you when I see you online. Level 7 (or 8?) now. Is Bebpo just doing MSQ?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2016, 11:27:49 AM »
My name is in the LS. Will message you when I see you online. Level 7 (or 8?) now. Is Bebpo just doing MSQ?

Mostly MSQ, but some little quests, more now with my 2nd class, some leeves, and class quests.  Like I said I've probably played 8-9 hours so far in two nights.

Himu

« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2016, 11:33:21 AM »
what are leevees? Fates?
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »
Leves are repeatable quests you get from a city or company levemete. You have a leve allowance that increases everyday to limit the number you can take. There's battlecraft leves which are basically hunt for a smidgen of XP (not worth it), fieldcraft leves to level gathering, and tradecraft leves to level crafting (both a good way to level a profession).

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Guildleve

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2016, 12:53:44 PM »
always make sure you do class quests as soon as they're available bc they give you new abilities and gear
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2016, 04:39:29 PM »
What the hell is enmity in the context of XIV's stats?  I'm assuming it just means aggro?  As you increase aggro does anything happen with an enemy besides getting their attention?  Like does their defense drop or anything?  Because like Gladiator has a strong attack that adds enmity, and then a stronger attack that replenishes mp and there's like no reason to ever use the weaker of the two strong attacks since he also has flash to get the attention of all enemies.

And yeah, after faq-ing for a bit I think I'm gonna turn this GLD into a Warrior build, and then run a Mage/Dragoon on the side.  Monk sounds the closest to glass cannon build that I want, but it also sounds kinda a pain in the butt to use.

I am strongly thinking about leveling every class in the game to lvl.5 right away, that way I can try them all out and get a feel for what I like.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2016, 04:48:03 PM »
enmity is aggro, yes. the whole point of being a tank in a party is to piss of all the enemies so they don't go after your allies, so your whole strategy should revolve around generating as much enmity as possible.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2016, 04:57:59 PM »
enmity is aggro, yes. the whole point of being a tank in a party is to piss of all the enemies so they don't go after your allies, so your whole strategy should revolve around generating as much enmity as possible.

Yeah, but if you have a move that generates it against all enemies, why would you care about using a weaker attack that only keeps adding it to a single enemy?  Like do stronger enemies unaggro pretty quickly so you have to keep hitting them with enmity?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »
i don't know. I tanked a dungeon one single time and sucked at it. my team was dicks and it was traumatizing and I never did it again. fuck tanking
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
oh wait I do know that yes you do need to constantly increase enmity bc others can definitely peel enemies off you. I play a black mage, who hit the hardest of any class, and I can easily pull enemies from a tank who doesn't know what he's doing.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2016, 06:39:02 PM »
i don't know. I tanked a dungeon one single time and sucked at it. my team was dicks and it was traumatizing and I never did it again. fuck tanking

:lol

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2016, 09:13:46 PM »
was gonna play this all night, but I went to plug in some Christmas lights and shorted out my whole damn living room. life is a bitch
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »
was gonna play this all night, but I went to plug in some Christmas lights and shorted out my whole damn living room. life is a bitch

:(

Got the airship pass, checked out the other locations.  Gridania is pretty nice looking.  Took a look at the job faqs to see what I need to level, I'm thinking I want to role a Warrior, a Ninja, a Black Mage and a Dragoon which means a lot of classes.  I'm lvl.17 now in my Gladiator but it seems like there's no point in taking Gladiator past lvl.15 unless you want to go full Paladin which for mostly solo play seems like a boring idea.  So I think I'll switch to a class I want to take to lvl.30 before I advance the main story any further.

Finished up the x-mas quests in the desert city.  Was nice.  I really like all the x-mas decorations in the various cities.  Really adds a lot.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 01:43:25 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2016, 03:57:04 AM »
Did my first dungeon.  Couldn't figure out how to party chat (why is my chat always filled with green [NOVICE] people talking wtffffff), but I guess when you're the tank leader you don't have to talk, just get the enemy's attention and keep it on you while smacking.

I don't understand how the chests work?  Need/Greed/Pass.  Does only 1 person in your party get the item?  Cause that's pretty lame. 
I still have a hard time with the game's lock-on system.  Disengaging one enemy and engaging another feels problematic a lot.  Like if I'm auto-attacking the wrong enemy and I use left on the d-pad to target the enemy I actually want to hit, he'll hit them once and then go back to auto-attacking the wrong enemy.  -_-

I did lvl.1-4 with Maurader & Rogue.  I fucking love Rogue class.  It's exactly what I wanted the combat to be and the opposite of slow zzz Gladiator.  Attacks are fast and skills refresh much quicker and you take way more damage.  I think I'm going to go Rogue -> 30, Pugilist -> 15 and do a Ninja build cause FF Ninja's have always been pretty cool whether it's FF6 or FFT.  I think I'll focus on that as my main story run, and then after I'll roll a Black Mage & maybe push my Gladiator/Marauder up to Paladin (zzz) or Warrior.  I'm already at lvl.18 now with Gladiator so might as well keep it around.

I don't get non-combat jobs at all  ??? Like I thought they'd be a sub-class you can do within your main class, not a real regular drop your stats/equip to 1 kinda thing.  I tried the goldsmith crafting job where you sit and tap rocks and build junk that's way less useful than what you can just buy and you have to buy the materials for it anyways so why not just buy it.  What's the point of doing of leveling all these non-combat jobs?  There's a ton of them.  Are any of them fun or useful support classes to help you out on your main class? 

Is the Golden Saucer part of Heavensword or do you eventually unlock it doing story quests? 

I do like that there's a million quests in the game.  I don't like that most of them are "go and kill x amount of a couple enemies" or just go talk to a couple of people and come back.  I guess that's the basis of MMOs though. 

Oh and whenever I do anything with a party it always starts out saying LIGHT PARTY.  What does that mean?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:21:08 AM by Bebpo »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2016, 09:24:50 AM »
-to switch chat types, click the left side of the TouchPad then hit left on the dpad to highlight that bubble with a chat icon. click on that to select different chat channels. choose "party". the novice messages appear bc you're in the novice chat. you're considered a novice til you beat the 2.0 story or play like 160 hours iirc

-yep you draw for chests. choose need if you really want it, greed if you kinda do (you can't roll need if it's gear for a class that's different for what you are at the time), and pass if you want to roll a zero. it's not that hard to win stuff, and most people will pass on 2.x stuff anyway since it's useless to them

-to lock on double tap x. the arrow above an enemy will now have a circle above it, meaning your character will auto attack them. you can also press... l3? r3? to lock the camera on to the enemy. use left and right on the dpad to cycle thru targets. you can change what type of targets will be highlighted in the configuration menu. it's still kinda odd a pain to get the right target sometimes bc the game will highlight the enemy closest to the screen a lot instead of picking words directly in front of your character.

-crafting jobs let you make some cool stuff when you get to high levels. gear, items, clothes, housing stuff, etc. the material are cheap at low levels but get expensive once you get to the 20s or 30s. most of the materials from them on are only available by getting them with gatherer classes. none of this is essential, but some people (like me) find it a fun alternative to combat.

golden sauce is available pretty early iirc. look around the area of uldah that's kind of near the big aethernet crystal. I think there's some smug looking npc surrounded by servants that are trying to carry a ton of boxes. he should give you the quest that lets you travel to the gold saucer.

-yep most of the artists are like that. the downside to having every single thing in the world be instanced

-light party is 4 players, full party is 8 players
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »
Have gotten way more straightforward and useful info here than from guides, and friends who have "played the game for years, ask me anything".

PT is the hero we don't deserve.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2016, 09:38:18 AM »
I'm just trying to bring the light back to Eorzea
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2016, 10:48:58 AM »
Thanks PT!

So crafting/gathering jobs are mainly for high level to get good loot you can't just buy at the shop?  My only thing is that at first glance it seems like such an added grind.  First level these jobs for hours, then spend hours getting material, then spend hours crafting just to make some equipment that normally in other rpgs you can just find or buy.  I was hoping that side jobs would be more for more interesting stuff like the treasure maps you guys talked about versus just standard equipment. 

I think I'll skip the crafting jobs until I beat the main scenario and just stick to battle jobs.  Right now I feel like I should stick with my lvl.18 gladiator until I unlock the lvl.20 free company stuff and get my Chocobo.  Then get my Rogue up to the same level and continue the story with it.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2016, 11:57:15 AM »
the endgame stuff you can buy from the market board (meaning it's sold by other players) will be very very expensive one you get to the "endgame" i.e. the content between ARR and HS.

crafting isn't something I'd do while going thru the story. it's more for when finish the storyline playthru phase and enter the addiction phase
pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
Popped back in since there's 4 free days anyway. Downloading some patches then I'll get the Xmas stuff on my main and see if Hyperion is open. Guess I'll make an Au Ra since I've yet to that and they are cool. Dunno what job to work for though....might go back to BRD since my main is now MCH

Bebpo

« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2016, 02:14:18 PM »
Played a little more and got my Rogue to lvl.7 or 8.  Limsa Loma or whatever it's called is a way better starting city than Uldana or whatever that's called (I hate all the hundreds of weird names in this game, can't spell anything).  I mean the Thanalan city was fine and all, but this one is PIRATES and fuck that's way more interesting than standard rpg settings.  Rogue class quests are pretty cool too, pirate secret assassin's is like the best setup for a group.  Plus fighting as a Rogue you're spinning and slashing and jumping and it looks badass.  Since I did the first 12 hours of the game or so in Thanalan, I'm sticking to Pirate city while I get my rogue up to lvl.15 and then I'll spend some time in Gridania forest world.

I've gotten to the point where I think rather than sorta rushing by just doing the MSQs and marathoning the game, I like it better as kind of a side-game that I can pick up and play a couple hours every couple of nights and do a half-dozen/dozen quests and gain a couple levels.  I find myself talking to all the NPCs now and getting a feel of the land, taking on all the simple quests in the area that are at least near my level.  It's very relaxing. 

bluemax

« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2016, 02:15:26 PM »
How long does the free stuff last? I own the game but stopped when my 30 days was up. I'm also going out of town on Thursday.
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »
lasts til the end of the month, you get 4 days starting from your first login

also seems my old fc left the server lol. so i may move my main over to hyperion if i end up resubbing soon

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2016, 06:48:11 PM »
join usssss
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2016, 04:17:15 AM »

Had some fun tonight with my rogue.  The online queue times for the starting guildheists can get insane as a DPS.  Had to wait 25 mins+ to get into the second lvl.10 one.  Also I can see the problem when the community isn't that active.  Some of the FATEs that focus on a single big boss guy, if you're going in at or underleveled can be tough/unwinnable when no one else joins your FATE.  Tonight outside of running into one guy on a FATE, I went around to the various fields around Limsa Loma and all the fates were at 0%.  Didn't see like anyone outside of town.  Is the game usually this dead?  I figured the christmas event stuff + free 96 hours would make it more active than usual right now.  A little worried that the game is gonna be a little more rough with a small community.

Couple more questions:

1.  Everyone says don't waste Leeves on battle leeve quests.  But in the sub-lvl.15 2nd job range (aka no MSQs) I'm finding their the quickest way to level between class quests if you do them at +4 and quick.  Like I just did the lvl.10 class quest, did the two lvl.10 guildheists, and did the quests up through around lvl.10 in the around.  So right now between lvl.12-15 there's nothing really besides a couple of quests, hitting up Fates and leeves.  I can see later on after lvl.15 when there's more options, there's probably other ways to level, but they seem very useful for leveling in the sub 15 stage (maybe even sub 20 stage).  Lemme know if I'm missing something here.

2.  I checked the auction prices and WHAT THE FUCK.  Low level equipment, like lvl.5 hats or something are going for $10,000gil when I can buy this stuff for like 300 gil from a merchant.  Everything seems insanely expensive.  I only have like $8,000gil right now and I need it for teleporting around while I'm questing!  I guess this is how MMO economies work?  Everything is inflated?  Makes it seem like I won't be using the auctions to buy anything any time soon.

Lucretius

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Had some fun tonight with my rogue.  The online queue times for the starting guildheists can get insane as a DPS.  Had to wait 25 mins+ to get into the second lvl.10 one.  Also I can see the problem when the community isn't that active.  Some of the FATEs that focus on a single big boss guy, if you're going in at or underleveled can be tough/unwinnable when no one else joins your FATE.  Tonight outside of running into one guy on a FATE, I went around to the various fields around Limsa Loma and all the fates were at 0%.  Didn't see like anyone outside of town.  Is the game usually this dead?  I figured the christmas event stuff + free 96 hours would make it more active than usual right now.  A little worried that the game is gonna be a little more rough with a small community.

Couple more questions:

1.  Everyone says don't waste Leeves on battle leeve quests.  But in the sub-lvl.15 2nd job range (aka no MSQs) I'm finding their the quickest way to level between class quests if you do them at +4 and quick.  Like I just did the lvl.10 class quest, did the two lvl.10 guildheists, and did the quests up through around lvl.10 in the around.  So right now between lvl.12-15 there's nothing really besides a couple of quests, hitting up Fates and leeves.  I can see later on after lvl.15 when there's more options, there's probably other ways to level, but they seem very useful for leveling in the sub 15 stage (maybe even sub 20 stage).  Lemme know if I'm missing something here.

2.  I checked the auction prices and WHAT THE FUCK.  Low level equipment, like lvl.5 hats or something are going for $10,000gil when I can buy this stuff for like 300 gil from a merchant.  Everything seems insanely expensive.  I only have like $8,000gil right now and I need it for teleporting around while I'm questing!  I guess this is how MMO economies work?  Everything is inflated?  Makes it seem like I won't be using the auctions to buy anything any time soon.

Pro tip:  Go into your emotes menu.  You should see a checkbox labeled "Show emotes in chat log" or something like that.  UNCHECK THAT!  Everyone on your server will thank you.  I love spamming emotes (Male Roegadyn has some fun ones), but if you don't uncheck that, everyone within /say range of you will have your emotes clutter up their chat logs.

Love this game.
lip

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
fates have been kind of empty lately. you can usually get a group going on ones above 30 though. your alt classes level up faster depending on how high your highest level class is, so early levels go by pretty for long term players. prolly why those fates don't always get attention 

some suggestions: get a chocobo. they can fight with you which is especially useful for those boss fates. you could also use the party finder to set up a low level fate running group.

dps queue times are notoriously bad. has less to do with server population and more to do with how many people play as them. tanks and healers have near instant queue times but dps will take 15 to 25 minutes usually. makes sure you change the options to queue up with players of all languages to cut down on wait time.

i dunno why market board prices are so high, but I figure it's prolly laziness. you'll make a lot of gil as you play through the game, but if you're in need just hmu and I can give you some.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2016, 12:38:20 PM »
How do you change queue to all languages?

I don't really need any equipment, I was just looking to get more variety of hats to change things up so I just looked at like the cheapest low level stuff.

Yeah, chocobo sounds good, especially if it's a healer.  Also looking forward to it because the game is kinda bad at putting teleport points everywhere so I'm getting kinda tired of sprinting across the overworld.

Also, I read some wiki pages and it looks like hunting logs are a major xp source for 1-15.  I need to start doing those.  Also there's some +30% xp bracelet for finishing the novice hall tutorials, so I should go do those.  And yeah I read about the lower class +100% bonus and resting bonus.  This should all make low level grind go much quicker for me.

(Image removed from quote.)

Couple more questions:

Pro tip:  Go into your emotes menu.  You should see a checkbox labeled "Show emotes in chat log" or something like that.  UNCHECK THAT!  Everyone on your server will thank you.  I love spamming emotes (Male Roegadyn has some fun ones), but if you don't uncheck that, everyone within /say range of you will have your emotes clutter up their chat logs.

Love this game.

Thanks, will do!

Bebpo

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2016, 08:48:34 PM »
Anyone going to play tonight?  I'm so stressed out from work I need to relax when I get home so probably going play some FFXIV for a few hours after 8pm PST.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
I'm playing some ff15 but I'll log in if I can
pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2016, 12:49:48 AM »
yep, game is still fun. swapped back to bard though, wasn't feeling mach at all. just not for me. but now i have to start back over at L50 :gloomy

either way i think i should wait until i finish ffxv before i resub otherwise i'll never finish it :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2016, 04:06:13 AM »
Got my Rogue to lvl.19!  Cleared the rank 1 & 2 hunting which helped, also did the hall of novice DPS training which was actually pretty fun and got me good loot including +30% xp ring.  Did a bunch of quests through Limsa Londa and the lvl.15 class quests for Rogue and the lvl.15 guildheists.  Now that I've outleveled my Gladiator and done most of the stuff through lvl.15 questing, it's time to get back to the story which takes me to Gridania.  Will be checking out that map next time as I get towards my chocobo and army guild thing.

Combat is more fun now.  The DPS training actually showed me that combat will eventually get interesting.  See up through lvl.15-20 stuff, all the enemies engage you like 1 at a time most of the time and one enemy will do an AoE attack and you just walk around him in a circle and it's like this is jokingly easy how can anyone ever get hit by these attacks.  But in DPS training it was showing that there will be situations with multiple enemies engaging you doing multiple AoE spells/attacks with huge radiuses at a time so you gotta be constantly moving around to dodge stuff which is fun.  Also the party combat is a lot more fun than 1 on 1.

Got some minions, neat but they don't attack right?  They're just for visuals?  I accidentally discovered that there are cross job skills which is cool, but so far it mainly seems like buffs are the only thing I'm getting from other classes.  Not getting any great attacks are anything so far.  But I can buff DEF pretty well with Rogue, and it's got a few different good attacks and I really like Mutilate DoT and that I can back off from AoE attacks and throw daggers from ranged.  Pretty fun class.

So I was looking through some high level merchants list and I noticed the Ninja weapons are just the Rogue weapons.  Are you going to tell me that playing as a badass ninja I'm not going to be able to use a cool ninja sword and I have to use...daggers?  Because that is incredibly disappointing if so!  I wanted to go around with like Masamune samurai swords while stealthing and jumping down and stabbing dudes Tenchu style which is why I'm doing Rogue -> Thief (although I gotta do Pugilist 1-15 after I hit lvl.30 Rogue to get it).

Also, huge huge annoying thing.  I fucking HATE this Novice chat log that you can't turn off.  Tonight while going around the log was filled with nothing but 13 year old brats going Heil Trump!  And talking about bombing the middle east and all kinds of annoying troll shit.  So I set the window to battle events only but then I couldn't see stuff like hunting log updates.  It's really lame you can't turn novice off.  When you hit lvl.40 with your main and it shuts off, does it turn back on whenever you change to a class under 40 again?

My char:  Look at this sexy motherfucker!

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:02:00 AM by Bebpo »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 04:44:51 AM »
What classes are you guys playing, and do you enjoy it?

I have a PLD but fuuuuuck being a tank, especially after 1 year of absence and jumping back into it without remembering how to play tank.
Usually I love tanking, but in FFXIV, it's not for me. Any DPS class recommendation? Either ranged or melee is fine with me. MNK?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
you can configure what shows up in your chat log. i assume you can also turn off novice chat there too.

i play as a blm which is fun but not for everyone. you can't move much and the level 60 combo is ridiculously complex, but once you get good you can burn the shit out of ANYTHING.

butt, nachobro, mamacint, what are your in-game names?
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2016, 11:32:18 AM »
FF14 & Heavensward PS4 codes on Amazon

FF14 $15 - http://amzn.to/2hPXVp6

Heavensward $10 - http://amzn.to/2hQ898O
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2016, 11:49:55 AM »
buy it demi

join us
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2016, 11:59:44 AM »
Drop the sub requirement and I would
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »
they should let you pay for a sub with gil, but that won't ever happen. basically the only reason i go back to wow as often as i do is being able to buy a sub for gold.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2016, 12:31:06 PM »
Drop the sub requirement and I would

it's only $12 a month you dirty poor scum
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
But I can play Destiny for $0 a month so idk man hard bargain
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2016, 01:20:35 PM »
destiny has like 3 hours of content after you factor in all the expansions. ff14 will take like 150 just for the main story.
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Too much investment, sorry. It's why I dont play MMOs period. Its either FF14 or {{backlog}}
fat

Himu

« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2016, 01:31:03 PM »
I like how I play this so casually. I'm almost level 10 and I feel like I don't have to put all encompassing effort into playing this like I did with other mmo's.

I remember when I played WoW, it took me something like 50 or 100 hours to get to level 20? I don't remember but it was a lot of hours and I fondly remember getting my first mount after x hours play, but I'll probably be level 20 in this pretty quick with zero commitment.

Really like the story too.

When you realize that you should be doing the MSQ instead of the small time ! quests, things are a lot more fun. I did the magicked blade quest yesterday which I already did during my first trial. Voice acting in an MMO still blows my mind.
IYKYK

studyguy

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
Been playing since 1.0 Alpha.
Haven't stopped since.
Went to the fanfest in Vegas.

I felt sort of out of place since the crew I went with didn't want to go out to get fucking smashed after each day but you know whatever. It's fun enough to stop me from buying more video games.
pause

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:25 PM »
i keep a subscription and I work on my backlog bc I'm a winner
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2016, 10:11:19 PM »
I like how I play this so casually. I'm almost level 10 and I feel like I don't have to put all encompassing effort into playing this like I did with other mmo's.

I remember when I played WoW, it took me something like 50 or 100 hours to get to level 20? I don't remember but it was a lot of hours and I fondly remember getting my first mount after x hours play, but I'll probably be level 20 in this pretty quick with zero commitment.

When you realize that you should be doing the MSQ instead of the small time ! quests, things are a lot more fun. I did the magicked blade quest yesterday which I already did during my first trial. Voice acting in an MMO still blows my mind.

On one hand, that's cool because yeah that's how I see it too.  Otoh I wish you played more because I want to do some team stuff with you all.  Outside one night when Bu~~~~ and Positive Touch were on, I haven't seen anyone the whole 20+ hours I've played so far.  So just been running around solo and random stranger dungeons/guildheists.  Would be nice to see some people online sometime and join up.

Himu

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »
Every time I go on you're not there
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2016, 10:15:04 PM »
I've been on almost every night after 8pm!  Except for like Saturday and maybe Sunday night I think though I did play some on the weekend.  I'm thinking about finishing P5 tonight (at final final final boss last save), but if you want to play I'll play FFXIV tonight instead!

Bebpo

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »
Gonna grab some water and go on for a bit, if you go online look for me :)

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2016, 10:50:31 PM »
you can configure what shows up in your chat log. i assume you can also turn off novice chat there too.

i play as a blm which is fun but not for everyone. you can't move much and the level 60 combo is ridiculously complex, but once you get good you can burn the shit out of ANYTHING.

butt, nachobro, mamacint, what are your in-game names?

Are you guys permanently on Hyperion?

I got caught up with work shit the past week I haven't even touched a controller since whenever I last posted in this thread. Don't think I'll get to it until this weekend (oh shit Xmas)

Was actually thinking of buying it anyways since it's on sale on PSN this week but it's telling me that I both own and don't own the base game. Can't buy Heavensword either. Don't know if it's a trial D/L bug.
___

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »
yup forever on hyperion
pcp

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
Do you play with just a controller?
___

Bebpo

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:59 PM »
Did hunting log rank 1 with my thermaturge to kill time waiting to see if anyone joins.  Got to lvl 9 so I'm right around your range queen if you wanna play.

Gonna go start a Puglist now at lvl.1 since I need to get to 15 for my ninja job.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
controller and a usb keyboard is best

I'm trying to get out of bed to come play but I don't know if I'm gonna be successful
pcp

Himu

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »
I'm at the movies Bebpo. No ff14 for me tonight
IYKYK

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:00 PM »

It's definitely more fun and enjoyable to level in FFXIV, but the level-time issue in WoW has gotten waaaay better than it used to be. I returned after years, and even the last levels 100-110 are not bad at all. Blizzard in general has gotten a lot more casual time friendly with many main features and such. Not too easy, but not too hard. (If you ignore the whole boost situation in D3, although everything is end-game focused there anyway.)

Bebpo

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2016, 11:30:14 PM »
Ok, another night then.

So in the time between my last post and this post I started a Pugilist and got halfway through lvl.5 just by doing the first class quest and hunting log enemies around the starting areas.  Probably took 15 mins.  I figure doing the lvl.5 class quest + the rest of rank 1 hunting log will get me to at least lvl.8 if not lvl.9 in another 15-25 mins and then do a battlelev or three and I'm at lvl.10.  Do lvl.10 class quest, rank 2 hunting log, lvl.10 guildheists and then I'm at level 15 no problem.

This is with the +100% xp armory bonus of using a lower-level 2nd class + 30% xp ring from finishing the hall of novice exercises. 

All told, it seems like if you know what you're doing you can go 1->15 in like 90 minutes, maybe 60 minutes, maybe closer to 2 hours.  That's...pretty good.  Definitely encourages me to try a ton of classes out and have more options for going into jobs.

It seems like if you know what job you want from the start, you can use MSQ to level your main class to 30 no problem, and then the above to get your second class to 15 in 1-2 hours and then you got your job.  Pretty quick and painless.  I imagine once you get your chocobo it goes even faster. 

Now I'm at a lvl.19 rogue, 18 gladiator, 9 thermaturge, 5 puglist, 4 marauder and lvl.5 maybe goldsmith.  I'm thinking I'll get my ninja job main, then have a warrior tank 2nd, and maybe do a white mage healer for 3rd job just to have one in each genre type?  How many classes/jobs fall into the healer type when queuing up for dungeons?