Author Topic: EDGELORDUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds is the tits  (Read 71801 times)

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

seagrams hotsauce

Re: EDGELORDUNKNOWN's Battlegrounds is the tits
« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2017, 11:48:09 PM »
as a fan of PR I was pretty surprised when Jack suggested PUBG would be right up their alley, and not at all surprised when Rich really didn't like it. I was surprised Rich didn't just pan it, but it's a testament to how much fun teamwork is in this game if even he can go from 'fuck this campfest' to 'alright, this isn't for me but I see it' after going from solo to duos

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2017, 11:51:20 PM »
have you played it yet you moaning old tit?

okay

im gonna try this game now

and then i'll write a 10,000 word essay on why it sucks

and im going to force you to read it

Don't bother, if you don't want to like it you won't. You'll probably just die a lot and blame the game cuz you suck at it

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2017, 01:41:41 AM »
as a fan of PR I was pretty surprised when Jack suggested PUBG would be right up their alley, and not at all surprised when Rich really didn't like it. I was surprised Rich didn't just pan it, but it's a testament to how much fun teamwork is in this game if even he can go from 'fuck this campfest' to 'alright, this isn't for me but I see it' after going from solo to duos

benjipwns

« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2017, 01:43:12 AM »
TheGoldenCaulk15 hours ago
The game is toxic. Regardless of how good or bad it is, it's toxic. You can see it in the playerbase. Games like these, which have such a massive punishment for dying and not much of a reward for doing well are generally frustrating and annoy players to death..... But somehow these zero-sum games are also addicting, probably because of the tension, so players who jump in normally stick around for a while. There's value in that sort of game. But it's personally not for me.
Gzus Kreist15 hours ago
i cant wait until this half cooked alpha test survival fad is over. Every month idiots go out and buy an alpha test that will lose support in 90 days, all do the same thing, all of them suck ass.
inevitableAnpu12 hours ago
It's just DayZ. Again. They all sound, look and play like shit! It's not even finished, none of these terrible survival deathmatch games are, but they keep coming out with new ones and they keep making money! It's an endless stream of incomplete garbage games and people love it. What the fuck is going on?!

The Ledge15 hours ago
A game that's only fun when played with friends isn't a fun game.
:lol

benjipwns

« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2017, 02:10:11 AM »
as much as i often disagree with Rich's final opinions on stuff, i often find his individual complaints to be pretty good especially when i take in consideration his point of view, watching their review for this i'm like "yeah okay...yeah i get that" and i could even see it maybe growing on him (or them) even in solo if they put more time into it and therefore get more rounds where the random aspect doesn't fuck you over

it's funny that these guys are so good at articulating their views compared to say...Brad...who has years of "professional" experience and is outright terrible at expressing why he likes something or whether i would even if he doesn't...or some place like Polygon*

i kinda want them to pull in mike and jay for some group play because no matter how bad they are (i dunno jay and mike's video game interest even) i want to see it with their ongoing commentary like bad movies

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*my contract requires one shot per day at a Vox Media property or personality
[close]

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2017, 02:28:08 AM »
Jay occasionally joins them on stream, but doesn't play really ever - he gave Friday the 13th a shot recently, and did pretty well for someone who had no idea how to play videogames.

Definitely agree with you re: Rich though I don't think this would ever grow on him solo. I could see him 'getting it' more by duos the way he ended up liking Rocket League but solo is so punishing. I don't disagree with his point that dying over and over and being offered no information to improve is really discouraging.

PR is great, I like their reviews a lot even if i don't agree with them all. They're 'skewed' in a good way (i love how they hate cutscenes) and also pretty unpretentious

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2017, 03:15:13 AM »
BTW toku what are you using to record? I've been trying to use whatever Shadowplay has become but I can't figure out the audio options

benjipwns

« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2017, 03:29:06 AM »
actually that's a good solo point to remind me of what he said about Call of Duty and they've discussed regarding other games, where it's a mindless meatgrinder basically, and solo in this could be taken as that kind of meatgrinder, but you have to wait for everyone to load in and jump off the plane and start moving...so it spaces out the meatgrinder (like say CS or Rainbow Six does with you waiting until the entire team is down) but it's still there as a component

and unlike Call of Duty or Siege you aren't gaining anything directly for your deaths here, which is not a problem for me, but i could see how someone else could say look at least there i'm gaining towards not only the match victory for my team but i'm personally gaining levels and weapons and unlocks which affect my future gameplay...i think it's IW where i was just plain trash (relative to my normal Call of Duty play...which is trash) until i unlocked a certain rifle and could actually kill people with my main weapon finally

so there's that idea of a future game where i'm going to be playing something quite different than i am now, which this doesn't suggest

outside of me naturally learning the island so it's mapped in my head which will infuriate my one friend to no end like when i naturally learned where everything in Stillwater and Steelport was and took my own superior routes to locations over the games directions :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2017, 08:59:28 AM »
it's funny that these guys are so good at articulating their views compared to say...Brad...who has years of "professional" experience and is outright terrible at expressing why he likes something or whether i would even if he doesn't...or some place like Polygon*
Yeaaap. Most annoying during the GOTY shows. "It's just..."

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
Thought the pre-rec video was super off the mark. The complaints about solo games sounded like the thoughts of someone who was new at the game and hadn't spent any time to figure out the mechanics and strategies beyond the very basic concept. The only valid complaint I found in the video was the lack of a replay system to let you get a better idea about what happened to you, and that's coming to the game. Just a whole lot of points that seem to miss the point of the game entirely.

Then at the end Jack says he doesn't see many people playing more than 20 hours of it... about a game that's been over 500k concurrent players on Steam for the last 4 or 5 months.
nat

benjipwns

« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
Yeaaap. Most annoying during the GOTY shows. "It's just..."
I'll never forget him filibustering Skyrim into winning whichever year.

I mean I don't really care which won and used to listen to those because it was the only times Drew was in anything back then, but you had Jeff and Ryan picking Saints Row: The Third, Vinny leaning Saints Row and Drew neutral. But Brad spent an hour or something talking about how Skyrim has to win, it's the only game deserving, no other game is on its level, etc. So they put it first to finally get out of there. One of the few times I've felt Jeff was legitimately angry over video games. And then Brad admitted he never played more than like fifteen minutes of Saints Row. :lol

I always liked the part where they're narrowing their combined personal lists down to 10-15 games more than when they start ordering them because it seems collaborative. The whole thing is kinda crazy when their normal output shows that Jeff (and now Dan to an extent) is the only one who comes close to playing most everything.

Bringing in the top ten lists from all sorts of people including ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER is probably the best part of their end year stuff. Very diverse perspectives from that.

I'll tie this all back to the thread...I could see this game ending up quite high on their collective list, maybe winning, and on lots of the lists in general. (I imagine Zelda and Destiny 2 winning the East and West divisions if they stay separate.) Unless some updates just break it, or if it really is more of a short term game of the moment.

benjipwns

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2017, 09:39:34 AM »
Then at the end Jack says he doesn't see many people playing more than 20 hours of it...
I think he said that about himself?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2017, 09:44:31 AM »
I'll tie this all back to the thread...I could see this game ending up quite high on their collective list, maybe winning, and on lots of the lists in general. (I imagine Zelda and Destiny 2 winning the East and West divisions if they stay separate.) Unless some updates just break it, or if it really is more of a short term game of the moment.
The only way it doesn't is when they decide to make a separate category for it because it's early access (and likely to be when the time comes?).

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
It's so big for the same elements that make something like GTA popular. The happy accidents. Like that type you hopped out a car, and it started rolling backwards but this is the third time this has happened so you were ready. So you moved with the car and got the kill this time. You adapted instantly to the chaotic sandbox.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
havent had a chicken dinner in like 4 days
my hunger for the flesh of poultry is...insurmountable

https://streamable.com/czi89
https://streamable.com/2hsag

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
That first link made me hyperventilate. I almost yelled GO GO GO at my phone. :lol

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2017, 11:38:22 PM »
I like watching others play this but I haven't gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it myself.  :-\

I put in around 7 hours this weekend and I really don't feel like firing it up again.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »
I like watching others play this but I haven't gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it myself.  :-\

I put in around 7 hours this weekend and I really don't feel like firing it up again.

Having someone to play with who matches with your style/how serious you take the game is super important. We say it a lot in the tread but the different modes play very differently from each other. I don't take squads seriously until top 15/20. Duos is the sweet spot. Solo is

high key you have to be a bit of psychopath to get any real enjoyment out of solo

G The Resurrected

« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
Solo is

high key you have to be a bit of psychopath to get any real enjoyment out of solo

YES YES

:rollsafe

I've been getting trolled left and right with rando squads to the point that I'm almost done even trying that shit. It pisses me off because I've been baited a few times as well with markers early on and that leaves you all the way across from your squad. Or worse they just fucking TK your ass, I've reported everyone of the TKing assholes and can't report anymore apparently. Got a message last night after I was run over by my teammates both of which were in two separate cars if I wanted to report both of them and I couldn't. They need to work on the community aspect of the game and sportsmanship.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2017, 02:50:27 PM »

Having someone to play with who matches with your style/how serious you take the game is super important. We say it a lot in the tread but the different modes play very differently from each other. I don't take squads seriously until top 15/20. Duos is the sweet spot. Solo is

Ah, ok. I've only been running solo, it wasn't for me.

I'll need to check out team play next weekend.

studyguy

« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »
Last patch made shit all kinds of unstable.
pause

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »
is this fucking game ever gonna go on sale? i wanna try it bc of the hype but i can see it not really grabbing me. i wanna try it for cheap dammit
pcp

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2017, 05:59:17 PM »

Ah, ok. I've only been running solo, it wasn't for me.

I'll need to check out team play next weekend.
For what it's worth: I used to play solo, but after trying out duo and squad, I found soloing waaaay less fun. It is still fun but definitely not the same. Squad is fun too, but some of my friends take it WAY too seriously. They seem to care about winrate and their stats too much. Sure I wanna win but don't yell at teammates to revive you from a surprise shot when they're inside another tall building in Polyana and can't get to you in time. I'm a big fan of duo, it's so much fun! Easier to keep track of things and people. Easier to share loot and get properly geared up as well. I haven't played PUBG in a few days though because my usual duo partner lives in NYC so she's in a different timezone which makes it tough to play together at times. So I end up not playing. Never tried the random matchmaking either, I'm not sure I want to. Maybe I should give it a try today.

Btw, did they disable the ingame voice chat? Suddenly the lobby is completely quiet, and I haven't heard anyone talk ingame after the last patch despite my settings.

is this fucking game ever gonna go on sale? i wanna try it bc of the hype but i can see it not really grabbing me. i wanna try it for cheap dammit
You can do a full refund through Steam if you hate it. :lol

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2017, 06:47:35 PM »
oooo right
pcp

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »
four squad dinners in two days. both times we got two back to back.

has everyone half decent migrated already? played some first person duo earlier and i wont be going back to third once it rolls out to squad mode.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2017, 09:34:18 PM »
Guess I'm one of the few who prefer 3rd person. FPP duo was fun. Easier to get kills, but also harder to stay alive. But I prefer to just stick with the original mode.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »
I think I like TPP better too. FPP is fun but in a game where you're already pretty limited in terms of information as to how you die it's even more punishing. The aiming bias is really tough to get used to considering how almost every other FPS on the planet works, too.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #210 on: August 08, 2017, 02:16:13 AM »
https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedThirstyLampFunRun

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-squad-guide/
:lol she ded

Edit: Just read that article and I'm happy I did because apparently I do a lot of bad callouts/reports. I'm not used to "thinking fast" in English so I end up being all ummm uhhh ehhh. Gosh this is gonna be a new learning experience.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:36:26 AM by Valkyrie »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #211 on: August 08, 2017, 02:37:35 AM »
don't worry about it, don't take it that seriously

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #212 on: August 08, 2017, 02:53:52 AM »
I kinda hate that article. a lot of that shit is really easily discernible from playing in duos/teams anyway, and quoting sun tzu is cornball as fuck. Communication is obviously really important but I've played with some friends of friends who get so serious about it that it's not really fun anymore. I hate the word 'tryhard' cuz in any competitive game you should obviously try, but the most fun I've had in this game isn't when I'm bearing down for a win, it's the awesome shit that happens when I'm playing fast and loose with friends

benjipwns

« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2017, 03:43:16 AM »
some of my Battlefield roots do make me desire a "spot" key i can mash endlessly

i have fond Bad Company 2 memories of me and and two friends trying to move up along this map that had deadlocked at C or whatever and spotting dudes and all the sudden the dude's dead because like half our team were camping as snipers and we eventually wound up at their "base" and started capturing all the points from "behind" the front and the deadlock broke finally when they realized it was a bigger threat than just some guy who had circled around after the two squads (we were in two squads for whatever reason) started spawning on us and now we had camped snipers firing from both ends of the map :lol

both those guys are the ones who are playing this hardcore and it was weird having to use something outside the spot to communicate :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2017, 04:55:42 AM »
I kinda hate that article. a lot of that shit is really easily discernible from playing in duos/teams anyway, and quoting sun tzu is cornball as fuck. Communication is obviously really important but I've played with some friends of friends who get so serious about it that it's not really fun anymore. I hate the word 'tryhard' cuz in any competitive game you should obviously try, but the most fun I've had in this game isn't when I'm bearing down for a win, it's the awesome shit that happens when I'm playing fast and loose with friends

yeah ive played with goons who will yell at you for looting the same building. not a lot of fun.

same time one of the best experiences ive had was the squad game where we just talked about vin diesel movies the whole time...we won two chicken dinners.

a game with so many random variables i don't see how you take it so seriously

benjipwns

« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2017, 05:09:48 AM »
we just talked about vin diesel movies the whole time...we won two chicken dinners.

a game with so many random variables i don't see how you take it so seriously
i'm not seeing any random variables here, just proven science, and i have two masters degrees™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2017, 04:40:05 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2017, 06:37:11 PM »
Patch notes
http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1451701826007887564

"Fixed a bug that occasionally disabled voice chat on the Starting Island" CHINA NAMBA WAN

G The Resurrected

« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
I can't hear you

what you say?

Oh China number won? Ok

Got an amazing chicken dinner today when my squad got wiped. They baited me out the plane early so haha on them. One man vs 4 guy squads is super intense. I was bitching about it before, but that is a damn achievement. I didn't get the final kill though, but my stunna did the trick on the last contraction.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2017, 12:48:42 PM »
This game is all sorts of ruined today.

- In game voice doesn't work for me at all. Even tried to reinstall the game. Also the game always crashes when I spectate my partner.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2017, 12:57:12 PM »
bluehole giveth and taketh away

G The Resurrected

« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
First Person Squads is the shit... I thought duo's was the right number for FP, but this is good stuff.

I need to setup my recording stuff so I can capture some of these encounters.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #222 on: August 10, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
Not really feelin' FPP at all. It makes the game more stressful. ;w; And I play this 100% for fun!

G The Resurrected

« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »
I got bodied in a top ten match by a flying motorcyclist. The dude had a freaking sixth sense or something because he didn't even blink. He just went up the hill as fast as he could and launched over the three story building I was in and dropped on the 3rd floor and shot me dead. It was amazing!

Also got my hands on the new M60 or whatever that new AR is and it is a beast. Seriously fucks up cars so well.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #224 on: August 11, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2017, 09:45:56 PM »
Not really feelin' FPP at all. It makes the game more stressful. ;w; And I play this 100% for fun!

I got motion sickness just from watching it on youtube
itm

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:37 PM »
Had the weirdest dream last night where I got put into irl PUBG, but the twist was that we all had our vision and hearing removed, so we were 100 blind and deaf people who would just murder each other with our bare hands once we bumped into each other around in an open field. It was pretty terrifying, and I only got away because I magically got my vision back and managed to run away and camp a house.

Too much video games, maybe.. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2017, 10:36:15 PM »
sounds like some nightmare garry's mod roleplay server

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2017, 10:39:18 PM »
def. some obscure early 90s european horror film plot

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2017, 11:09:19 PM »
Had the weirdest dream last night where I got put into irl PUBG, but the twist was that we all had our vision and hearing removed, so we were 100 blind and deaf people who would just murder each other with our bare hands once we bumped into each other around in an open field. It was pretty terrifying, and I only got away because I magically got my vision back and managed to run away and camp a house.

Pfffft. I'd be king of that server, then.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #231 on: August 13, 2017, 12:23:29 AM »
Also forgot to mention that some of the guys would try to grab boobs instead of killing. :lol

Pfffft. I'd be king of that server, then.
Why, are you blind or something?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2017, 04:57:39 PM »

I just came here to post that I had a dream last night where I had 8 kills, including 3 melee, and got a chicken dinner on my first time ever playing.

I don't even have the game.  :doge
©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2017, 05:28:50 PM »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »

I just came here to post that I had a dream last night where I had 8 kills, including 3 melee, and got a chicken dinner on my first time ever playing.

I don't even have the game.  :doge
It's a sign, bro. The game is fun as hell. You might as well!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2017, 05:48:37 PM »

The first few minutes of this match are spectacular. :lol
dog

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2017, 08:19:56 AM »
http://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/

tl;dr:
Today we are changing our patch and update schedule to improve how we work on the game, as well as set realistic expectations for players. Until the official release of the game, we will not have our scheduled weekly or monthly patches rolling out as often as before.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
hmm. If it results in patches that don't make the game perform worse like the last one, I'm for it. Not gonna say that it doesn't raise an eyebrow, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2017, 04:46:54 PM »
Why would that make you raise an eyebrow? It's obvious they're doing it to reduce bugs and gitches. Their previous patches have been doing just that - adding more problems to the game. It's not like they're slowing down development, they're just keeping patches on the PTR for a bit longer than before. Let's face it, one day on the PTR was way too short.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2017, 05:48:52 PM »
I guess because it seems like something I'd hope they'd have figured out already. The weekly updates are an appealing feature in any EA title, especially for the genre, but they're obviously not working out as well as intended. As long as the game is still getting regular updates that improve performance, great. I doubt sincerely the game will go in this direction, but EA kotk games don't have a great track record, and it's hard to completely shake that association.