Author Topic: Google Hardware Thread · Pixel Phones and Nest Homes  (Read 44160 times)

Quaker

Re: Google Hardware Event Thread (10/4/17)
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2017, 05:41:24 PM »
I have a white 128GB non-XL, which I'm keeping in order to use it as a backup camera on my short films. Sorry breh. I could sell you my 5X though! ;)

Edit- Messed up lol.
Sooo...what's the Bore discount look like on a used 5X, Andy-kun?  :derp

Now that there's no subsidies anymore I was going to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to see if T-Mobile runs any deals but in the mean time I was going to to down to the local place to see how much they charge for a replacement or see if anything pops up on Slickdeals but then I remembered this and hadn't considered trying out Android. Let me know.  :)

Tasty

« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2017, 08:50:37 PM »
Haha. Seems to be from $130-190 on Swappa, so I guess $130 + shipping? My roommate used it for a little while his phone shit the bed, but it's still in great condition IMO. PM me if you want it. :)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
im pretty interested in how comfy the daydream is. i would like a vr headset to watch movies on when i'm alone, i have a vive but it was stupid difficult to set it up to watch 3d movies in bed, and it's not exactly comfy. i def liked the effect though, especially when a little buzzed, despite the vives horrendous screendoor.
◕‿◕

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
So they pretty much gave up on tablets?
sup

Cryo

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:06 PM »
I can confirm that one of the 20,000 songs that displays on the lock screen when overheard is "Area Codes" by Ludacris feat. Nate Dogg for the Rush Hour 2 OST.

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »
It's gotten pretty much every song at every bar I've been to since I got it. Sometimes takes a while though, or doesn't work at all if the music isn't loud enough.

Still pretty neat. Hasn't been useful yet, but still neat.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
 I don’t think I would be comfortable with my phone listening to the ambient noise all around me all the time just so I could figure out what song is playing.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »
So they pretty much gave up on tablets?

s/tablets/Android patches

Google really needs to strong arm OEM's and phone companies to push updates to older phones like Apple pushes OS/security updates to iPhones. It's horrendous the number of "outdated" tablets/phones on Android there is that are ripe for exploiting through the Play Store (or elsewhere if people sideload stupidly). :doge

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »
If you want speedy updates and security, you stick with stock Android. This isn't some shocking fact. It's been like this from the start - since 2008. I'm sick of idiots deprioritizing security when it comes to buying Samsung or LG's latest flashy trash and then whining about patches and updates. Go fuck yourself.

Project Treble should help quite a bit, though. But I have no sympathy for the smartphone equivalent of mouthbreathers.

thisismyusername

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2017, 10:40:55 AM »
If you want speedy updates and security, you stick with stock Android. This isn't some shocking fact. It's been like this from the start - since 2008. I'm sick of idiots deprioritizing security when it comes to buying Samsung or LG's latest flashy trash and then whining about patches and updates. Go fuck yourself.

Project Treble should help quite a bit, though. But I have no sympathy for the smartphone equivalent of mouthbreathers.

Even Stock Android isn't updated. You told me my phone is Stock: It gets Oreo with 2 years of support. After that? No new updates or OS updates. This has been a problem for Android from the get-go. Most folks will not update their tablet or phone unless it breaks or see a need to. There is like 80% of Android phones/tablets out there that are running 2/3 versions behind the latest update. Google needs to solve that.

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:18 AM »
Pixel 2 offers three years of OS and security updates, thanks to Project Treble. Which, as I mentioned, will make things better.

You know what won't make things better? Imploring Google to "strong arm" manufacturers. It's not going to happen and it wouldn't work if they tried it. Samsung - who is about to become the most profitable smartphone maker in the world - would take Android and pull an Amazon. They wouldn't even think about it for a second.

You think updates are bad now? Have you looked at Amazon's Fire OS? It's an appropriate name for a dumpster fire. And others would follow suit. Even if they got some of them, like Motorola and Essential to go along, the EU and possibly even the US DoJ would smack them down. Google is already seen as having too much power.

The only way to approach the update situation is from a technical vantage point, which is what Treble is the start of. The hope is that eventually we'll get to the point on Android phones that Windows has operated at.

But today, yeah, if you're not buying a Google phone, I'm not sure why you'd expect (or rather, annoyingly whine for) quick updates from a Google operating system.

If I hack some $50 phone from China and put iOS on it, am I entitled to updates from Apple?

thisismyusername

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2017, 11:01:01 AM »
If I hack some $50 phone from China and put iOS on it, am I entitled to updates from Apple?

That is completely different from what I'm getting at you're being obtuse to defend Google.

The fact is: Android is an operating system. Thereby like Apple who has their "iOS" OS in iPhones, they are responsible for security patches in a majority of ROM's. It doesn't matter if Motorola, Samsung, et. al. customize the ROM. The fact is: The underlying operating system is overseen by Google.

Anything that is serious (see: SMB problem in Windows) should be handled by the operating system manufacturer/developer.

What you're saying is the equivalent of: "Well, why would you by a Compaq instead of buying from Microsoft directly and assume Windows would be updated for 5 years with security. Trolloololololololololol." It's dumb.

And to be fair: I do not place the blame squarely on Google. Even before iPhone/Android phones the smart-phone market for fast OS updates was horrible. I had a Blackberry phone that took ages to be updated at times because of the telephony company.

The whole industry needs a top-to-bottom reshuffle (AKA: Google does need to strong-arm the companies using their shit to push out security updates for "outdated" OS's to protect their consumers) to the PC-style (now a days) "push patches out and have the customers be automatically updated because they're fucking moronic and won't do it or update when required."

There's valid reasons for not updating (the phone gets slower because more bloat/etc. makes it slower) but not providing security patches is such a ":mindblown " thing coming from OS's.

Even Linux (which Android is a base of) isn't this insane with having consumers be behind security patches/updates. But Linux is used by most folks that will willingly deffer updates for the sake of "uptime" so that's a whole-'nother discussion on why "computer literate" folks are just as dumb.

To actually answer the quoted bit: Apple pushes their updates out and if a community like the Hackentosh community was around to do it for iPhones? You can expect a security update to be reverse engineered and pushed by the community for you to use (if you so choose, but that's outside of what you're getting at) when it happens. Apple develops security updates for "out of date" OS's if the need arises. Even 10 years after their Intel switch, my PPC Mac Mini was getting OS security updates.

How the fuck do you not support that? You can't go "dumb consumers not buying Google lol" when Google still develops the fucking base of the ROM for the phone manus.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the entire phone industry needs to stop pushing "new phone who dis? lol" as a security measure and actually update older OS's for critical security shit. If they don't want to push new OS updates to the phone/tablets? Fine, but protecting the consumers is their job. Even Google's who is the underlying OS maker.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:08:50 AM by thisismyusername »

Tasty

« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »
Even Linux (which Android is a base of) isn't this insane with having consumers be behind security patches/updates. But Linux is used by most folks that will willingly deffer updates for the sake of "uptime" so that's a whole-'nother discussion on why "computer literate" folks are just as dumb.

This is because the entire driver situation is completely different (read: more sane) on desktop. In fact, Linux is the reason for much of the delays in Android updates. It's super rare to get a newer version of Linux when updating Android because of the driver headache (almost everything is proprietary.) In fact, proprietary drivers were a huge Linux bugaboo until (and possibly including) recent times. As I've said, the biggest holdup on Android updates is technical instead of political, and Google's time is better spent there.

Then you have the carrier side of things, and even here people are morons and buy from carriers despite them introducing yet another layer of slowness. People need to buy unlocked.

As I said, Google "strongarming" OEMs and carriers won't happen, because if they tried it, it wouldn't work. And they have tried it! The Galaxy Nexus 4G on Verizon was supposed to herald a new era of straight-from-Google-despite-being-through-a-carrier update processes. But it didn't because, surprise, Verizon slowed the updates down. Google's tried reigning in Samsung with the Google Play Edition of the Galaxy line, but that fell apart. Google can't strongarm anybody because they're not in a position of strength with OEMs and carriers. If the Pixels actually competed sales-wise with the iPhone and Galaxies, it'd be a different story, but the Pixel line isn't there yet.

(How many different ways do I need to say "buy a Pixel and everything will be better"? Both at a micro and macro level.)

Google's still working on tackling this problem (Treble), but in a sense they're also taking their ball and deservedly going home (Pixel line.)

If you care about security more than anything, you'll get a phone from the company that controls the OS end-to-end. Meaning iPhone or Pixel. If you like flashy or cheap trash and don't care about updates as much, you'll get something else. That's all there is to it, all that's ever been to it, and all that will be to it.

PS-
You can expect a security update to be reverse engineered and pushed by the community for you to use (if you so choose, but that's outside of what you're getting at) when it happens.

Doing this on the Android side is actually far more supported. ROMs a-plenty. If your phone isn't secure, you're either dumb or lazy.

Tasty

« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »
Fwiw saying Google "owns the base OS" is pretty worthless since stock Android on its own is unbootable on actual hardware since all of a phone's drivers are proprietary.

Is this system outdated and stupid? Yes, of course, MS "solved" it decades ago (though they still have issues with it now and then, see: Vista and signed drivers, etc.) But as you brought up before, the mobile phone world was even more of a clusterfuck before Android, and Andy Rubin had to compromise the OS for OEMs somewhere.

Treble actually does fix this with a hardware abstraction layer (have I brought up Treble enough yet?) I'm not sure if you can actually boot stock Android on any Treble-supporting phone yet, but if not we're pretty damn close.

Tasty

« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
Re: me going on and on about Project Treble:

https://www.xda-developers.com/stock-android-oreo-huawei-mate-9-project-treble/

I'm not sure if you can actually boot stock Android on any Treble-supporting phone yet, but if not we're pretty damn close.

Damn I love being right. 8)

Beezy

« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2017, 10:33:21 PM »
All these Galaxy sales but no Pixel 2 sales. :maf

I guess I'll just pick up a 2 XL sometime this weekend.

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2017, 07:54:20 PM »
Google Wifi got here yesterday. :rejoice

It joins my Pixel 2, four Google Homes, two Chromecasts, Chromebook Pixel and Daydream View.

#madebygoogle

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2017, 02:46:07 AM »
I'm seriously considering pulling my cellphone off standard access and going with GoogleFi, tied to a USA bank account. Apparently roaming works off their partners when "abroad" here in Japan, so I could be looking at dropping from $80/mo to $40, keep my USA Google Voice number, and then point other Japanese people at a VoIP solution to contact me. Not like I'm a chatterbox on the phone anyway.

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2018, 11:06:19 AM »
Google Wifi got here yesterday. :rejoice

It joins my Pixel 2, four Google Homes, two Chromecasts, Chromebook Pixel and Daydream View.

#madebygoogle

Add to this my new pair of Pixel Buds. And I've been looking quite hard at a Pixelbook now that Chrome OS supports both Linux and Android apps.

Also, for TIMU: Talkin’ Treble: How Android engineers are winning the war on fragmentation

Great in-depth read. Android P/9.0 is going to push things even further.

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
EU basically just kneecapped Google's ability to fight Android fragmentation. GG.

Hopefully Treble got here in time.

I suggest everyone stop supporting third-party manufacturers. Going forward, you're not going to know what hell you're going to get when you buy an "Android" phone. It may not even have Google Play. To play it safe, just stick with the Pixel line.

Tasty

Re: Google Hardware Thread · Pixels, Nests, and Homes
« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-xl-clearly-white-leak/

For the record, the smaller Pixel 3 will reuse the Pixel 2 XL's design (just in a smaller form factor.)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 06:57:51 PM »

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
well this is a shame, pixel 2 xl slowdown less than a year after release

Tasty

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2018, 08:20:43 PM »

October 9th!

Probably no Pixel Watch though, and I likely won't be getting the Pixel Buds 2 and Pixelbook 2 this year as I thought.

Pretty much just a normal-sized Pixel 3 and whatever first-party Echo Home knockoff they came out with (although the Lenovo smart display looks nice.) Plus whatever awesome home automation/security stuff Nest might come out with.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Google Hardware Thread · Pixels, Nests, and Homes [Event: Oct. 9]
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2018, 08:59:56 PM »
Obligatory "wait a month or two, buy a One Plus 6 t" post
yar

G The Resurrected

« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:00 PM »
The lenovo smart display is actually making me consider jumping to Youtube TV. I got one at Costco to try out and ended up buying a second one. You can multicast anything through Youtube to both displays just like audio. So if you wanna share a video with someone in another room you can watch it at the same time. I use mine while I'm cooking and the other is on the side table and gets used while I play games on the big screen.

I look forward to seeing what Google has cooked up in that space and if they expand to other Android one apps for the device line.

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »
Obligatory "wait a month or two, buy a One Plus 6 t" post

Tasty

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2018, 09:57:42 PM »
The lenovo smart display is actually making me consider jumping to Youtube TV. I got one at Costco to try out and ended up buying a second one. You can multicast anything through Youtube to both displays just like audio. So if you wanna share a video with someone in another room you can watch it at the same time. I use mine while I'm cooking and the other is on the side table and gets used while I play games on the big screen.

I look forward to seeing what Google has cooked up in that space and if they expand to other Android one apps for the device line.

Wait I had no idea you could simulcast video to multiple smart displays. How do they not trumpet that feature around? They rolled out a red carpet for multiroom audio.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2018, 10:10:22 PM »
Haha, Pie kinda sucks tho. I know, I have a 1st gen Pixel XL. Fucking app notifications have gone bonkers. OMG I HAVE TO WAIT A MONTH. ::)
yar

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »
Pie is the first release to proactively ask you to hide notifications you constantly dismiss though. :thinking

The notification business was really Oreo's doing last year. 8.1 and 9.0 have actually really cleaned it up.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2018, 11:06:55 PM »
well this is a shame, pixel 2 xl slowdown less than a year after release

Pretty sure this was one of my complaints to Tasty about Android vs IOS. i've never seen an android phone that didn't turn to shit a year later.

Meanwhile, my iphone 6 that's going on almost 5 years is still strong. Yes, 5 fucking years. It's being sold after Apple's event next week.

Beezy

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
 :holeup

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2018, 11:00:58 AM »
Man Google starting to get to Apple tier shit design choices
yar

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: September 09, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »
A different non-convertible Pixelbook just leaked in an ad: https://chromeunboxed.com/news/pixelbook-2-leaked-image-online-ad

Looks like there will be two this year. A laptop form factor successor with reduced bezels (likely "Pixelbook 2"), and a convertible version (which might also be mildly on the lower-end of things.)

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #96 on: September 13, 2018, 05:52:46 AM »
shutting down inbox

answer pls andy kun :gurl
itm

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
shutting down inbox

answer pls andy kun :gurl

Wut? Fuck. What am I supposed to use? Is the gmail app still shitty?
serge

Tasty

« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2018, 09:21:35 AM »
All of Inbox's features will be in Gmail by the time Inbox is sunsetted.

As much as I loved Inbox, the writing has been on the wall since about March. Google started making a big push back into Gmail and deliberately clammed up whenever people asked about Inbox. Updates to Inbox have been few and far between for over a year now, too.

Google loves making two of something and having them duke it out to see which has a better take on the idea, and this is a classic example. Inbox both lost and won -- obviously, it's shutting down, but almost everything it pioneered will be integrated back into its forebear.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
What the actual fuck? Gmail gets the features, but is still ugly as sin and missing a bunch of the streamlining which made Inbox so great. Wow. SHIT.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:29 PM »
I’d also like like to take this moment to say new Chrome is ugly as fuck. All those rounded edges—it’s now safe for a particularly slow child to play with it.
serge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #101 on: September 13, 2018, 11:20:30 PM »
How is the new Pixel even going to compete with the Xr?

Tasty

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2018, 12:55:04 AM »

It's not running iOS for starters.

Tasty

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2018, 03:51:37 AM »

It's not running iOS for starters.
Ok, so it won't. Thanks.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2018, 04:09:27 AM »
I’d also like like to take this moment to say new Chrome is ugly as fuck. All those rounded edges—it’s now safe for a particularly slow child to play with it.
It now looks like Opera looked before Opera decided to make itself look like Firefox.

Everything on Chrome always seems to look goofier on Windows, like I barely noticed the rounded tabs when my Ubuntu 18 laptop updated weeks ago. Then my desktop updated this week. (Why this was, I have no idea, they're both on the beta channel.)

Tasty

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »

First official press renders (in the official fabric case.)

Also, I just set me parents up with a Google Wifi mesh network. I thought three would be enough but I might go for four, one of their Nest Cam Outdoors has a weak signal still.

Tasty

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »
Also hey the cameras are laid out the same way this year, nice.

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »

Google Home Hub, rumored to be "aggressively priced" at $150. Looks like someone glued a low-rent Android tablet to a Home Max.

No camera tho? :thinking

Or is it hidden behind a manual switch, like some smart displays already have? :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »

Pixelbook tablet, detachable, USB Type-C, fingerprint reader.

Tasty

« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »

JD.com leak.

Tasty

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2018, 12:43:58 PM »

Pixel Stand illustration leak.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »

©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
o __ o

Tasty

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »
what do you think of the OnePlus6T that's coming out?

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2018, 10:54:55 PM »
Panda versions leaked:

Digging the mint green button.

what do you think of the OnePlus6T that's coming out?

Gonna need to know more about it tbh. The 6 was solid enough.

Tasty

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:52 PM »

Pixel Stand (from the bottom.)

Since the 6T was brought up:

This does look dope, and it probably the best notch (along with Essential's.) In-screen fingerprint reader seems cool but that would take a lot of adjustment from me personally.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
For $500 something dollar phone the Oneplus 6 t is where it's at, honestly. Great value it seems.

Tasty

« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
The new detachable Pixelbook (codename Nocturne) will officially be called "Google Pixel Slate."

For $500 something dollar phone the Oneplus 6 t is where it's at, honestly. Great value it seems.

Yup. Past gens it feels like they always messed up 1-2 things, but this one looks like a keeper.