Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2123766 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #2760 on: November 15, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
Colombia. That guy fucking the donkey in the last part of the documentary is something else, the way he slowly gives it a back rub while smoking a cigarette afterwards... Also the kids he interviews that say they all fuck donkeys, then the mothers that say it's fine as they practice for real women... and the doctor who claims it "stretches out the penis".  :doge
http://www.tehposts.com/fiction/vice-magazine-in-columbia.html

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #2761 on: November 15, 2017, 03:43:06 PM »
Yep, emails from austin and others and twitter DMs about the culprit. And no, I've got no interest in posting it here

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Leadbelly

« Reply #2763 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
Klepeck and Walker always seemed like very opportunistic people that were merely climbing the ladder from job to job.  While I hated Klepeck on Giant Bomb (I have an admittedly totally irrational hatred for the dude) I actually enjoyed Austin's stint there.  I could tell it was nothing more than a stepping stone for him and Patrick as well, though.

I'm SUPER interested to see how they handle this news.  They are usually the first with hot takes on anything related to the social side of gaming - silence, or even a "we can't talk about this for legal reasons", is going to make them look hypocritical to the max. 

It's "interesting times" to be working at Waypoint right now.

Well Patrick Klepek had a short period at 1up back in the day before leaving for MTV. It certainly seemed like he used 1up as a stepping stone anyway.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #2764 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
Can someone tell me if the Vice documentaries are worth watching or if they're just sensationalist garbage?

This is the best one:

sup

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2765 on: November 15, 2017, 03:53:58 PM »
This is my favorite Vice video:
https://www.youtue.com/watch?v=7PLIWZj5Buk

Full video here starts at 16:03:

https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/terrorist-university-and-armageddon-now/578427f19e5b33a85b4cd8a8

It's also my favourite now.

"This video is not available in your country"

They done it again. XD    What a lark.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2766 on: November 15, 2017, 04:01:49 PM »
Klepeck and Walker always seemed like very opportunistic people that were merely climbing the ladder from job to job.  While I hated Klepeck on Giant Bomb (I have an admittedly totally irrational hatred for the dude) I actually enjoyed Austin's stint there.  I could tell it was nothing more than a stepping stone for him and Patrick as well, though.

Well Patrick Klepek had a short period at 1up back in the day before leaving for MTV. It certainly seemed like he used 1up as a stepping stone anyway.
1997-2004: Gaming Age Online
2005-2005: 1UP
2003-2007: Freelance
2007-2008: 1UP
2008-2009: MTV
2009-2009: Freelance
2009-2010: G4
2010-2011: EGM
2011-2014: Giant Bomb
2015-2016: Kotaku
2016- : Waypoint

Though this is only slightly more bouncing around than many people his age, in this kind of field, really.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #2767 on: November 15, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
No Ronito, I mean, when are we going to go back to being able to discuss shit with people we disagree with without being labeled as agreeing 100% with their ideology? When will words stop being forced on to others culturally? When will people able to criticize the movements ideas without being labeled problematic? I'm guessing the 2020's?
I see. I don't know. Really I think it has to do with fear and lack of self confidence. Like there's some local drama where I live around similar social studies warriors vs everyone else going down. And they (the SSWs) are like "Oh noes! These people hate liberals!" I'm like "Yeah? And?" And they refuse to engage at all. Whereas before you'd expect them to be like "Screw you. I'm not afraid." And start the conversation. I think the age of twitter and the hot take/echo chamber culture that Twitter ushered in is one of the main reasons. You can make any argument in 140 characters then pivot to attack anyone that says anything contrary. But if you have to learn to sustain your position you have to learn to listen to what other people are saying to be able to communicate to them. Right now it's "Oh you disagree? I'll block you." I don't know how you get out of that.

I've often said this neo-purtianism/social studies warrior thing reminds of religion in the "I'm right. Anyone else is not worthy of my attention and is dangerous." I saw it all over growing up mormon, and honestly most people never get out of that positive feedback loop.
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2768 on: November 15, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »
My favourite documentary is this one.

The title is: Born in the wrong body. You'll probably get the gist of it by skipping through it.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2769 on: November 15, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
At least it's edited down (?). Unlike this, which this reminded me of:

I listened to the entire thing and partway through just wished he'd posted the emails he's rewording. (His inconsistent use of tenses also bothered me a lot.)
Yikes. Talk about bloated.

I only know about this guy from Metal Gear videos 3 or 4 years ago and the channel looks totally different now. It looks like he's pumping our several videos a day about the latest gaming controversies? Gotta get them views I guess.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #2770 on: November 15, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Surprised I haven’t been warned for the posts I’ve made in the Kotaku thread.

Link me to them and i will report u breh.

I reported a guy twice today for extremely tame fuckery in a vidya game thread, both times mods took action.  :lol

the best mods.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

benjipwns

« Reply #2771 on: November 15, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
wow we're not only now doxxing innocent EA employees who post on their public twitter accounts but encouraging forums to talk about "journalists" doxxing them? and then warning mods to doxx other users who are known doxxers themselves?!?

maybe we should wait until EA issues a statement rather than trying to create a new hate machine

benjipwns

« Reply #2772 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:58 PM »
ERA (and GAF before it) might be liberal, but like any large community it's still going to be reactionary. Anything that uncovers malpractice in gaming journalism (which, ultimately, this piece did) is ammunition for people who most ERA and GAF members have been feuding with since 2014.

benjipwns

« Reply #2773 on: November 15, 2017, 04:38:59 PM »
That's your opinion, on which we'll have to agree to disagree. There have been several examples brought up in this thread of quite plausible explanations that don't match Schreier's narrative. This person's career at EA (assuming that it exists) could have been partly as a contractor, or in a similar situation. "working for someone" isn't exactly black and white, especially when just talking on Twitter. There may also have been several plausible reasons for him to go dark and ignore Schreier's messages, not last fear of having issues at work, instructions for above, or simply being understandably intimidated by someone on the internet starting to dig into your identity

The article basically isn't based on "I have evidence that this person doesn't work at EA," but it's based on "I have no evidence that this person works at EA." Considering the size, scope, and complexity of EA as an organization, I don't think that's a good foundation to write an article on someone's identity, tied to a very sensitive issue.
With all due respect to Schrier (loved Blood, Sweat, Pixels), why even pursue this? This is such a meaningless thing that somebody may have lied about working at EA.
I'm sure actual EA employees did get terrible messages from the crazies out there, like why take the chance on calling this guy out at all?
:lawd

Averon

« Reply #2774 on: November 15, 2017, 04:51:21 PM »
All these 'woke allies' being exposed as hypocrites has been quite entertaining this past year.  :lol

Just goes to show that those that bang their drums the loudest likely have some creepy skeletons in their closet they are desperately trying to hide.

Novid

« Reply #2775 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
Cindy, the change over happens when these bots at tumblr and certain folks in the lobbies over at DC started to go for the Gay Marriage movement. Once they won they handed the bot tech and other code to feminist movements and other places.

Basically when this comes crashing down, the internet goes down with it.

counterhit

« Reply #2776 on: November 15, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
Can someone tell me if the Vice documentaries are worth watching or if they're just sensationalist garbage?

Both.

injurai

« Reply #2777 on: November 15, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
Old Vice was fantastic. Seriously dangerous stuff, fucking eye opening journalism.

Now... it's a mixed bag that seems to provide more narrative than they used to. They used to just drop a story in your lap and let you digest it all yourself.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2778 on: November 15, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

I liked the North Korea one but it's no different than many of the other ones.
rub

Novid

« Reply #2779 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:07 PM »
Old Vice was fantastic. Seriously dangerous stuff, fucking eye opening journalism.

Now... it's a mixed bag that seems to provide more narrative than they used to. They used to just drop a story in your lap and let you digest it all yourself.

Smith Needed McEness. Sorry but Smith is near shit tier without him.

spaceotter69

« Reply #2780 on: November 15, 2017, 05:43:54 PM »
The salt surrounding Blake Shelton is hilarious. I also can't really tell if all the white mediocrity stuff on Reset era is for real or not. Only since the trump era has a white man been put on Peoples magazine sexiest man alive cover. It's just a paid advertisement, People's shitty rag isn't the actual arbiter of sexiness. These people turning it into some political statement around Trump's America or white supremacy are nutzo.

Also everyone is beautiful, expect Blake. He is a fat, ugly, racist, wife beating alcoholic like all other southern men. I see hotter people at my local Seattle or *insert approved location* gas station.

benjipwns

« Reply #2781 on: November 15, 2017, 05:57:55 PM »
Disgusting that People Magazine would just suddenly throw away their journalistic credentials like that all to serve their political masters in the White House.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2782 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
The salt surrounding Blake Shelton is hilarious. I also can't really tell if all the white mediocrity stuff on Reset era is for real or not. Only since the trump era has a white man been put on Peoples magazine sexiest man alive cover. It's just a paid advertisement, People's shitty rag isn't the actual arbiter of sexiness. These people turning it into some political statement around Trump's America or white supremacy are nutzo.

Also everyone is beautiful, expect Blake. He is a fat, ugly, racist, wife beating alcoholic like all other southern men. I see hotter people at my local Seattle or *insert approved location* gas station.

... kiddo!
rub

Boredfrom

« Reply #2783 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:09 PM »

I'm SUPER interested to see how they handle this news.  They are usually the first with hot takes on anything related to the social side of gaming - silence, or even a "we can't talk about this for legal reasons", is going to make them look hypocritical to the max. 

It's "interesting times" to be working at Waypoint right now.

Austin is way better than Patrick, I agree. But yeah, it was obvious that they cared more about getting better reputation than being true to their own ideals, compare stuff that Austin wrote pre Giant Bomb.

Himu

« Reply #2784 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:40 PM »
What stuff did Austin Walker write before Giant Bomb
IYKYK

injurai

« Reply #2785 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »

Smith Needed McEness. Sorry but Smith is near shit tier without him.

He clearly made Vice what it was. But I don't think he'd return the same. He want from fuck everyone, to fuck particular people.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2786 on: November 15, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »
Just a reminder, here's one of the past winners of the Sexiest Man Alive title.

©@©™

blaze

« Reply #2787 on: November 15, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
Idk man if it wasn't for blake shelton's comically small mouth I'd be all over that.

Vertigo

« Reply #2788 on: November 15, 2017, 06:37:28 PM »

I quite enjoy the VICE UK stuff. the us stuff can be hit or miss.

They had a great one on Nigerian scammers, that really stuck with me.

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #2789 on: November 15, 2017, 06:43:23 PM »
Idk man if it wasn't for blake shelton's comically small mouth I'd be all over that.
He's fucking Gwen Stefani though. We are all losers.

Novid

« Reply #2790 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »

soybois huh.
really.
sad.

Novid

« Reply #2791 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »
He's fucking Gwen Stefani though. We are all losers.
She married a dude that this age would have called a transtrender, she upgraded.

Novid

« Reply #2792 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
Just a reminder, here's one of the past winners of the Sexiest Man Alive title.

(Image removed from quote.)
but that was decades ago.
DECADES.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2793 on: November 15, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »

Old Vice sucked too. The word 'hipster' has been thrown around for years to the point of total dilution, but when it was just a mag Vice was the epitome of the worst aspects of hipster culture. Apart from occasionally tripping over an interesting writer or article, they were more interested in fawning over the same bullshit everyone hated about Brooklyn a decade ago. I blame them for making shit like trucker hats and Death From Above 1979 acceptable

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2794 on: November 15, 2017, 06:53:07 PM »
I was checking out GAF and their OT community sub still has threads on the front page that haven't had a post since the 6th. Gaming has some that go back to the 10th.

nudemacusers

« Reply #2795 on: November 15, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Everyone: please stop posting about dogpiles, "embarrassing" posts, witch hunts, the old place, "we're supposed to be better", etc.

This is no less toxic than the knee-jerk reactions or other bad posts we've seen; in fact, it's worse. Why? Because a knee-jerk reaction is at least sincere and in good faith, though it is misguided and can be obnoxious. But misguided reactions can be corrected with facts. Whining about dogpiles, witch hunts, etc. is more about making yourself sound superior than actually contributing anything.

We're going to start cracking down on this kind of smug shitposingt a bit more in the future. For now, please stop it and get back on topic. You can agree or disagree with Cranston without insulting the rest of the community. Thank you.
lol @ the bolded. pls. good to see moderation does not care about literal fake clickbait 'news' being posted (the end quote originally provided was FALSE), and is ok with garbage hot takes and suspicious witch hunting (what else to call it when you have people suggesting bryan cranston has something to hide himself?), but no, it's the people pointing out how stupid/cancerous it is.

fiction in case you wander back in here, this continuation and tacit approval of behavior in that thread and similar, just like in the forum that shall not be named, is a major turn-off and why i've yet to sign up and probably never will. oh well. back to reddit.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #2796 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »
I was checking out GAF and their OT community sub still has threads on the front page that haven't had a post since the 6th. Gaming has some that go back to the 10th.
finally, a forum whose update speed works well with my dad schedule.  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #2797 on: November 15, 2017, 06:56:16 PM »
post links bitches wtf is wrong with yall

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2798 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

Hey now, not all southern men beat their women. :wag :wag :wag

I do agree with you though: Fuck Blake Sheldon and Nu-Country.

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #2800 on: November 15, 2017, 07:04:59 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/977586/

Pathetic.  Just Pathetic. 

Just come out and say, "Exelsorif is allowed to be a shrill idiot and you aren't allowed to correct her when she's wrong."
sigh

agrajag

« Reply #2801 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:25 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/977586/

Pathetic.  Just Pathetic. 

Just come out and say, "Exelsorif is allowed to be a shrill idiot and you aren't allowed to correct her when she's wrong."

You're posting on GAF 2.0 and expecting different results breh

etiolate

« Reply #2802 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:27 PM »
Get back on topic = stick to the hivemind

agrajag

« Reply #2803 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
tbh the red warning tags on Risotto are an even worse bully pulpit than the shadow modding on GAF ever was

blaze

« Reply #2804 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/995969/

User was warned for thread derailment

I used to post on the same forum as a pedophile piece of shit

nudemacusers

« Reply #2805 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/996985/

Now you post on a forum with multiple pedophiles, since the ones that got permed turned back up under the clean slate initiative.

well, figuregaf is back, is he wrong?  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #2806 on: November 15, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
seriously, there's something fascist "big brother is watching" about those sinister red ban/warning tags  :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2807 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:05 PM »
Yikes. Talk about bloated.

I only know about this guy from Metal Gear videos 3 or 4 years ago and the channel looks totally different now. It looks like he's pumping our several videos a day about the latest gaming controversies? Gotta get them views I guess.
Yeah. He leaned into Mass Effect Andromeda as well when that was still steaming. Can't fault the guy. If only he learned how to edit this stuff down.

benjipwns

« Reply #2808 on: November 15, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
It's incredible how people are suddenly so willing to talk about rehab and forgiveness for sex offenders... when it comes to their favourite celebrities.

Take any thread about an average (as in, non-celebrity) man who gets caught with kiddy porn but never touched anyone, and you'll get unanimous condemnation and hate and how he should be branded for life.

Kevin Spacey actually molests kids, and has shown this behaviour for decades and was never stopped until now. Oh it's Kevin Spacey, uhhh... Let's talk about forgiveness and rehab. And by rehab I mean expensive spas for super-rich people (with pool and fitness centre, of course).
Jarate wears off after a few seconds, it's not for life breh.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #2809 on: November 15, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
Benji can't wait for Ami to be hit by the gas can. Dragon's Fury at the ready. :doge

« Reply #2810 on: November 15, 2017, 07:33:53 PM »
seriously, there's something fascist "big brother is watching" about those sinister red ban/warning tags  :doge

"User was warned for speaking for cultures of which they are not a part."

I'm wondering how this works.

benjipwns

« Reply #2811 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
Yeah. He leaned into Mass Effect Andromeda as well when that was still steaming. Can't fault the guy. If only he learned how to edit this stuff down.
Having only recently really looked at some of these gaming channels out there I get the distinct impression that they just record a bunch and "edit it" after but since the recording wasn't organized or planned beforehand they can't edit it really. Seen it in some political channels too.

Contrast with dunkey, who apparently writes out a scriptment of sorts at minimum, then has a clear idea of what he wants to put forward. So he can edit it down to sometimes just two minutes or so.

Although some people do that and still produce unwatchable 30 minutes videos. (Not taking any content into account here, just the editing/structure.) I get recommended so many people at times and I look at one of their videos... My favorite example is Stefan Molyneux because he just stands in front of a wall and talks endlessly in near circles for half an hour or more. Or at least he used to, I haven't watched one of his videos in years because the first time scarred me forever. I'm looking at his video list and of the ones that aren't topic images (95% now) do indicate he still stands in front of a wall for 15+ minutes. On a content side note apparently he's gone from just barely understanding anarcho-capitalism yet claiming it as his ideological position to running some kind of pro-Trump cult about the need to protect nations from immigrants. I report, you should not ever watch to decide, this is just what wikipedia says.

tummyfat

« Reply #2812 on: November 15, 2017, 07:40:13 PM »

At least half of the it's okay to be white thread should be warned

benjipwns

« Reply #2813 on: November 15, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »

And yet they closed down that thread suggesting that users should be allowed to display their (I assume confirmed) race on their posts.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2814 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »
I haven't kept an accurate tally but Era member count seems now stable at 29k for the last days. Don't know if it's open reg or pending approval GAF style but I guess that's the core of users who transitioned more or less. Given the ratio of posts on Gaf and Era, it seems somewhat reasonable to infer Gaf had 33k to 40k "active" posters before the exodus.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:58:14 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2815 on: November 15, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »

Is that real?
rub

agrajag

« Reply #2816 on: November 15, 2017, 09:06:06 PM »

Is that real?

real news

zepblackstar

« Reply #2817 on: November 15, 2017, 09:09:29 PM »
The CGI in justice league... woooo lawd.... :yuck :yuck :yuck :yuck

Pwnz

« Reply #2818 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
I haven't kept an accurate tally but Era member count seems now stable at 29k for the last days. Don't know if it's open reg or pending approval GAF style but I guess that's the core of users who transitioned more or less. Given the ratio of posts on Gaf and Era, it seems somewhat reasonable to infer Gaf had 33k to 40k "active" posters before the exodus.

29k users, but the preferred mouthbreathing, reliable social studies warriors that advertisers approve of. It's rough times with Spacey and Fogle and all.

Speaking of which, when do the ads kick in?

Himu

« Reply #2819 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
I was just accused of having more privelage than black men and placing something higher than blackness because I am trans on Reset :lol
IYKYK