Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2139500 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16800 on: February 17, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »
Waypoint disliking a game is like a seal of approval, especially when they feel the need to highlight it. This whole controversy probably only added to their sales

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #16801 on: February 17, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
I will not buy a game with anybody on staff that has an incorrect opinion and will support anything that gets them unemployed even if it means suffering for thier whole family. People need to stop believing in this crap and come to correct positions on things.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4658279/

Jesus Christ! Maybe FriedConsole should become a disciple of Kermit Peterson.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
We are not so different, you and I, resetera.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16802 on: February 17, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
I read quite a bit recently about how Norm McDonald resents being called an anti-comic/metacomic for his longform jokes like the moth joke.

etiolate

« Reply #16803 on: February 17, 2018, 07:37:47 PM »
He doesn't like the idea that he's doing anything other than a joke. He is making the audience suffer in his telling, but to him that's not anti-comedy but a part of the craft of telling a story for comedic purpose.

Averon

« Reply #16804 on: February 17, 2018, 07:41:34 PM »
I mean if you're looking for the literal words "non whites are sub human", you're:

A. Probably not going to find them.
B. Seemingly trying to dismiss criticism on a technicality.
That's how people like Vavra roll. They don't ever say what they believe directly, just allude to it so people go "well they didn't DIRECTLY SAY they hated black people/jews/muslims/whatever!"

Their ability to find out what a person really thinks is impeccable.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #16805 on: February 17, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
Totally different situation. They are not saying that they will stop covering any problematics games. Stop conflating everything bad as the same. Having case of sexual harrasment in your company is not the same as having a far-right openly racist boss making a game.

Uh ooohhhh

Boredfrom

« Reply #16806 on: February 17, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
I swear, Gaming and EtcetEra feel like two completely different forums with two completely different userbases at times. This would not be a controversial opinion at all on the other side.

"Is like people that like to discuss video games are burned out social progressive talk by people that get mad by a bikini fighting game"

EDIT

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4660078/

Really hope mod are not sleeping on this thread, so disgusted and tired of people that defend racist human being

MODS HELP

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16807 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:02 PM »
In this case he didn't say it, he instead wore it on a shirt. That's how crafty these Nazi types are these days.

Hitler showed them that publishing all your ideas in a book would make it too obvious.

Raist

« Reply #16808 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
I mean if you're looking for the literal words "non whites are sub human", you're:

A. Probably not going to find them.
B. Seemingly trying to dismiss criticism on a technicality.

Accusing someone of saying "non whites are sub human" when they haven't is a technicality brehs.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16809 on: February 17, 2018, 07:46:39 PM »
I read quite a bit recently about how Norm McDonald resents being called an anti-comic/metacomic for his longform jokes like the moth joke.

I've read that, too; basically he doesn't like the idea that he's "telling bad/unfunny jokes on purpose to be meta." Instead, he just tells jokes that he personally thinks are funny.
dog

nudemacusers

« Reply #16810 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »
The irony of waypoint aka a vice outlet firing shots at other companies for problematic leadership  :lol
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

benjipwns

« Reply #16811 on: February 17, 2018, 07:47:58 PM »
Norm has said that the perfect joke is one where the setup and punchline are the same.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16812 on: February 17, 2018, 07:49:34 PM »
He doesn't like the idea that he's doing anything other than a joke. He is making the audience suffer in his telling, but to him that's not anti-comedy but a part of the craft of telling a story for comedic purpose.

Yeah, I mean I don't even understand the meaning of anti-comedy. Shit is either funny or not. "Unfunny comedy" is an oxymoron, there's no such thing. I can't even think of an example of anti-comedy. The wikiarticle says that Eric Andre is an anti-comic, when he's a surrealist/performance/prank/parody/cringe comic.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16813 on: February 17, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »

I've read that, too; basically he doesn't like the idea that he's "telling bad/unfunny jokes on purpose to be meta." Instead, he just tells jokes that he personally thinks are funny.

All you have to do is look at the moth joke on the previous page, yes it's a long path to get to the punchline, but people are laughing the whole way at various parts for different reasons.  The idea that he's making up names badly as he goes, the really dark subject matter, etc.  If it were anti-comedy then nobody would be laughing.  If no one was laughing I think Norm would notice and try to say or do something to get them going again.

When people say it's "anti-comedy" I think they're just having trouble articulating how it's obviously comedy, but funny for different reasons than what they normally laugh at.
Uncle

etiolate

« Reply #16814 on: February 17, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »
anti-comedy is like

A homeless guy walks into a bar...

because alcoholism has ruined his life.

Boredfrom

« Reply #16815 on: February 17, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »
Yes.

They describe his position with neutral and distilled terms like "views." Then downplay his influence on the game by making him out to be just one of the many drones responsible for one of the many little pieces that make up the game, when he stands out above the rest to have a long and prosperous career out of the success of this game to do God knows what with the money.

Some of the gamers here condone it and raise the "I can separate the game from the artist" card to conceal their indifference on the matter or perhaps their subscription to his views.

If they didn't care about making an asshole money, they should have stayed on neogaf.

Well, is nice to see people having high opinion of the individuals that make a studio.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #16816 on: February 17, 2018, 07:56:28 PM »
What are y'all favourite comedians besides Chapelle? I'm drawing a blank for names of comedians whose standup material I actually enjoy. Patton Oswalt and Louie CK are the only names that really come to mind as having near flawless sets, with no joke that seems weak compared to others.

That Chapelle set was fucking flawless though. I had to watch equanimity and bird rev twice they were so on-point.

Hannibal Buress is my current fave. I saw him three times last year and it was all new material each time (aside from a bit with a 5 minute or so video), and he was amazing each time.
serge

Boredfrom

« Reply #16817 on: February 17, 2018, 07:58:42 PM »
Yes, it's Hearts of Stone and it was very nice. It's what happens when the other party is open to discussion and not racist.

Fuck you Golden Pingeon,I remember the CD Project controversy shit show.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16818 on: February 17, 2018, 08:00:57 PM »
I mean that's not really anti-comedy that's funny. It subverts the setup. I assumed by saying he hates anti-comedy he was refering to stuff like Neil Hamburger or On Cinema at the Cinema.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #16819 on: February 17, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
I think the sales numbers have shown, people don't care.
que

Boredfrom

« Reply #16820 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:11 PM »
Threads like these remind me why i stick mainly to OT these days. Alt-right infiltrating gaming something bad.

Jesus.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16821 on: February 17, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »
anti-comedy is like

A homeless guy walks into a bar...

because alcoholism has ruined his life.

Uncle

« Reply #16822 on: February 17, 2018, 08:03:02 PM »
Really hope mod are not sleeping on this thread, so disgusted and tired of people that defend racist human beings

Some of the gamers here condone it and raise the "I can separate the game from the artist" card to conceal their indifference on the matter or perhaps their subscription to his views.

If they didn't care about making an asshole money, they should have stayed on neogaf.

1. Vávra's views on a multitude of subjects are offensive and racist. Defense of his views will be moderated like any other defense of racism. Do not try to find sneaky ways to circumvent this ruling, like singling out Vávra for nonspecific praise or support.

2. Buying this game does not automatically make someone a horrible person and nothing will be learned or gained by anyone if you take that stance. Do not attack other members just for buying the game or enjoying mundane aspects of the game. Do not attempt to shame them. ​

mods...help? But who will they help?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just kidding. We know who they’ll help.
:putin
[close]

Boredfrom

« Reply #16823 on: February 17, 2018, 08:04:34 PM »
Exactly. I browse this forum precisely because it's the only damn gaming forum that isn't a shithole on matters like this, but it seems like I was wrong :

Maybe the problem is not them?

Also, they are going to lynch Doc Seuss lol

Raist

« Reply #16824 on: February 17, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
Someone should start HardResetERA.

etiolate

« Reply #16825 on: February 17, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
https://steamspy.com/

Vivra La Gamergate

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16826 on: February 17, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
The only difference between Vavra and Hitler is that Hitler is dead

https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-we-havent-covered-kingdom-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why.24062/page-4#post-4660160

JESUS CHRIST CERIUM, NIBEL AND ZHUGEX, get your shit in order.  :doge
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #16827 on: February 17, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
User Banned (Pending Review): Dismissing the impact of hate movements and downplaying multiple forms of intolerance.
mods helped :rejoice

Boredfrom

« Reply #16828 on: February 17, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »
Someone should start HardResetERA.

Offtopic only forum, no video games allowed.

Vavra La Gamergate

Nah, they can get themselves fucked with Resetera.

benjipwns

« Reply #16829 on: February 17, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
Did you read rule #2 in the OP?
I'll take a warning or temporary ban.

What I won't allow is for someone to hide behind "#2" to create a narrative that marginalizes the views and concerns of people such as myself.
i don't use the word "hero" lightly, but i'm glad that Disney's Marvel's Black Panther is encouraging minorities to finally fight back against their oppressors

Boredfrom

« Reply #16830 on: February 17, 2018, 08:11:08 PM »
User Banned (Pending Review): Dismissing the impact of hate movements and downplaying multiple forms of intolerance.
mods helped :rejoice

I'm gonna be honest here.. I don't care... I play games and rarely think about the developers, who they are, their views, agendas, sexual orientation, ect. If you guys wanna fight and argue about why the other hundreds or so people should have their game thrown in the trash be my guest. If a website wants to flaunt about how they won't cover a game because of some controversy I'm gonna be honest again.. you're making a statement about the controversy simply to gain those opposed to it. Whether or not they agree or disagree with the views of the creative director, making a statement about not making a statement is the same as covering a game to get views or clicks. If you don't support it or don't want to write about it.. simply keep it to yourself. People I swear spend more time arguing about the political views and sexual orientation of developers and people than ACTUALLY playing games it makes my head spin. To this day I still have no idea what gamers gate is... And I plan on keeping it that way while I enjoy the games people make. Enjoy the games guys... Isn't that why were here?

And people got banned again by not knowing what Gamergate was...

benjipwns

« Reply #16831 on: February 17, 2018, 08:12:20 PM »
The 'I've studied history, there really weren't black people around in those parts!' posts are fucking toxic. And so politically loaded considering what is going on in Europe and the US.
Yes, namely the release of Disney's Marvel's Black Panther, which is not just a film, but a revolution. Pre-purchase your tickets today for multiple viewings.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16832 on: February 17, 2018, 08:13:51 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-we-havent-covered-kingdom-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why.24062/page-6#post-4661023

Temp lock, the NKVD has arrived.

PREPARE YOUR RIFLES GENTLEMEN WE HAVE UNDESIRABLES TO SHOOT
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #16833 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:08 PM »
Diversity does not refer to the inclusion of anti-diversity views. Nice try though.
MARCUSE!!!

Raist

« Reply #16834 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:18 PM »
Because this thread is generating a high number of reports, we are temporarily locking it.

:rejoice

Boredfrom

« Reply #16835 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:28 PM »
The only difference between Vavra and Hitler is that Hitler is dead

https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-we-havent-covered-kingdom-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why.24062/page-4#post-4660160

JESUS CHRIST CERIUM, NIBEL AND ZHUGEX, get your shit in order.  :doge

That would require confronting Sweet Nicole and risking a big shit show.

Speaking of her...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/waypoint-we-havent-covered-kingdom-come-deliverance-lets-talk-about-why.24062/page-6#post-4661023

Temp lock, the NKVD has arrived.

PREPARE YOUR RIFLES GENTLEMEN WE HAVE UNDESIRABLES TO SHOOT

She is truly just Besada 2.0

Averon

« Reply #16836 on: February 17, 2018, 08:14:35 PM »
Because this thread is generating a high number of reports, we are temporarily locking it.

Mods help is on the way!! I repeat! Mod help is on the way!!

etiolate

« Reply #16837 on: February 17, 2018, 08:15:39 PM »
Evilore sits on his 300 hour work week throne, rubbing his palms together. Come back to me my children.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16838 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
Two questions:

1: Where's the ban message for AlmostHuman?

2: How many people actually use the report button on Resetera that so many people report shit that they have to lock a thread just so that they can keep up with all the reports?

benjipwns

« Reply #16839 on: February 17, 2018, 08:16:45 PM »
Gamergate, the movement that pretty much launched the alt-right

benjipwns

« Reply #16840 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:40 PM »
User Banned (Duration Pending): Excusing and defending racism, community whining
greatest crime listed last i assume

Raist

« Reply #16841 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:41 PM »

She is truly just Besada 2.0

What if she is Besada  :ohhh

Averon

« Reply #16842 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17:48 PM »
I don't get why some people just don't move on. If his beliefs are so important to you that you don't want to play or write about his game then don't. Simple.

User Banned (Duration Pending): Thread whining. Dismissing legitimate concerns over Vavra's views. Accumulation of many infractions.

Completely reasonable post telling people to stop freaking out.

Result?

BANNED!!

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16843 on: February 17, 2018, 08:18:50 PM »
I just can't believe how far they've lost the plot.

It's a game about a very specific part of Europe when there probably wasn't a lot of diversity, and Vavra has trolled a bit but is obviously not Hitler.

Everyone is just talking around foregone conclusions.  The language and condemnation used about him and users who seem to be fine with the game is all the same as in any other situation.  "If you're ok with this, then no matter your arguments or logic how you try to downplay any of it, you're not doing a very good job of hiding your contempt of minorities.  And therefore deserve much worse than banning, but banning is all we can do to you."
Uncle

BisMarckie

« Reply #16844 on: February 17, 2018, 08:18:57 PM »

Mods help is on the way!! I repeat! Mod help is on the way!!

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #16845 on: February 17, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/4659907/

When will people stop taking the word 'literally' so.... um, literally.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16846 on: February 17, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
A mod PM'ed me a few months ago and said "we have no problem with republicans and conservatives" but the mods let all other members on here attack them at will for their political beliefs. But, in this case, if a developer wears a MAGA shirt he is automatically a nazi and racist. To assume all gamers are left leaning and democrats is pretty laughable.
He did not get that he was marked.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #16847 on: February 17, 2018, 08:20:35 PM »
when a two hour old thread with ~200 posts generates so many reports you have to lock it to make it stop

« Reply #16848 on: February 17, 2018, 08:21:51 PM »
User Banned (Duration Pending): Excusing and defending racism, community whining
greatest crime listed last i assume

I swear, Gaming and EtcetEra feel like two completely different forums with two completely different userbases at times. This would not be a controversial opinion at all on the other side.

You're totally right.
When the old site broke down, you could litteraly see a lot of the Gaming section rejoice that the people in OT will go elsewhere.

strangely enough, these people arent banned for community whining!

benjipwns

« Reply #16849 on: February 17, 2018, 08:23:23 PM »
they're community praising, that community being the non-gamergate infiltrated OT thanks to careful moderation rather than the stormfront mess that is gaming side

benjipwns

« Reply #16850 on: February 17, 2018, 08:24:23 PM »
ironically, just like the bore

Boredfrom

« Reply #16851 on: February 17, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
Our hero only got a warning.

https://www.resetera.com/posts/4660204/

User Warned: Do not make generalizations about this game’s players.

"You are only allowed to make generalizations of one side of the community."

Hot Slice

« Reply #16852 on: February 17, 2018, 08:34:46 PM »

When will people stop taking the word 'literally' so.... um, literally.
Fun fact: the word literally, now quite literally (in classic definition that you are used to which refers to actually or exactly) means figuratively in one of its officially recognized definitions.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/literally

“He took the remark literally.” Is correct language that means that the male took the remark in a literal sense.

“She literally froze me to death with that popsicle.” Is also correct language that means that the female's ice pop was so cold that it figuratively froze the person in question to death.

Now, let’s review.

“I’m literally insane.”

Which definition am I using? Which is accurate?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #16853 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:17 PM »
*ResetEra mod goes outside*

"Good morning dude, did you catch the game last night"  :huh

"UGH THIS NAZI GAMERGATER IS ASKING ME ABOUT GAMES, I DO NOT WISH TO SPEAK ABOUT GAMES BIGOT!"   :gddr5

"Whatever, weirdo"

*heads for the shop*

"Welcome man"

"WOW THIS DUDE JUST ASSUMED MY GENDER" :gddr5

"Can I interest you in some additional vitamin water to go with your pork snacks?"  :success

"UGH THIS CAPITALIST DOG IS TRYING TO SELL ME THINGS!" :gddr5

"Whatever, weirdo"

*Hurries back home*

"Watch it dude don't just cross the road"  :sheik

"OMG AGAIN ASSUMING MY GENDERRRRR, I'm not 'dude' I'm a Alphabinaric Gender, creep" :gddr5

"Good morning neighbor <3"  :taylor

"HOW CAN I BE SO HARASSED, thankfully I'm now home time to visit my favorite forum"

*boots up Wii Browser*

"Josef Stalin wasn't so bad"  :umad

"I COMPLETELY AGREE" :gddr5

"Maybe if we didn't judge developers based on their political views the conversations wouldn't be so toxic"  :heh

"MY GOD REPORT REPORT REPORT.... MOOOMMM!!!" :gddr5

"Miyamoto is a total bigot for making stereotypical characters. Ganondorf is obviously literally a palestian opressed by Israel. If you think about it the only difference between Shigeru Miyamoto and Adolf HItler is that HItler is dead"  :goty2

"YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!!" :gddr5
🤴

Marhunchy

« Reply #16854 on: February 17, 2018, 08:35:19 PM »
Vadara's a troll right?

benjipwns

« Reply #16855 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:31 PM »
there should be a public leaderboard of the posters who have helped the forum by reporting the most posts, and the GamerGAFe infiltrators who have had the most of their posts reported before being banned along with the top reported posts, as a quality control measure for the community, also a method of finding new quality moderators

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #16856 on: February 17, 2018, 08:44:22 PM »
The only really good part of that is "boots up Wii browser"
Uncle

« Reply #16857 on: February 17, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
The only really good part of that is "boots up Wii browser"

I dunno man "*ResetEra mod goes outside*" was a pretty good one too

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #16858 on: February 17, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Vadara's a troll right?

He's certainly an edgelord.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #16859 on: February 17, 2018, 09:06:06 PM »
The 'I've studied history, there really weren't black people around in those parts!' posts are fucking toxic. And so politically loaded considering what is going on in Europe and the US.
Yes, namely the release of Disney's Marvel's Black Panther, which is not just a film, but a revolution. Pre-purchase your tickets today for multiple viewings.

Huh, so they're just dismissing facts now? Horseshoe theory strikes again.