Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5893437 times)

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: Other Forums |OT| The Desperation For Outrage
« Reply #58020 on: February 02, 2019, 12:32:56 AM »
Where's the picasso journalists?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_journalism

Note the sidebar for more categories.

Funny, I don't see a video game listing.

:thinking

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #58021 on: February 02, 2019, 12:34:04 AM »
It's in entertainment.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #58022 on: February 02, 2019, 12:37:47 AM »
It's in entertainment.

this will never not be funny

A good deal of information in the video game industry is kept under wraps by developers and publishers until the game's release; even information regarding the selection of voice actors is kept under high confidential agreements.[52] However, rumors and leaks of such information still happen, typically occurring though the online message forum NeoGAF.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #58023 on: February 02, 2019, 12:40:38 AM »
BBC journalist here  :-[
i didn't know you were British

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #58024 on: February 02, 2019, 12:41:03 AM »
BBC journalist here  :-[
i didn't know you were British

What's british about BBC?

benjipwns

« Reply #58025 on: February 02, 2019, 12:47:59 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ny-times-y-a-author-pulls-her-debut-after-pre-publication-accusations-of-racism.97146/
based on the published tweets, no one could explain exactly what it was about Zhao's treatment of the subject that was offensive. "It is also HIGHLY troubling that no one in the process of publishing or editing Blood Heir saw a story about slavery, trafficking, and race relations and thought to bring in a sensitivity reader, or even several," noted one member of the community who didn't level any specific critiques about the book's handling of these subjects. "[T]o put something that resembles chattel slavery SO CLOSELY is distasteful," opined another, the implication being this simply isn't a subject to be written about. Among other critics, there seemed to be a lack of understanding that "slavery" doesn't mean "American slavery" and that the concept has a broader context and history than that. "[R]acist ass writers, like Amélie Wen Zhao, who literally take Black narratives and force it into Russia when that shit NEVER happened in history—you're going to be held accountable," said one contributor to the pile-on. "Period."
:lol

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #58029 on: February 02, 2019, 12:55:05 AM »
oh no

benjipwns

« Reply #58030 on: February 02, 2019, 12:58:03 AM »
L.L. McKinney, a YA author who recently published her own debut novel, highlighted for her 10,000-plus Twitter followers the fact that one of Blood Heir’s blurbs read, in part, “In a world where the princess is the monster, oppression is blind to skin color, and good and evil exists in shades of gray….” “….someone explain this to me. EXPLAIN IT RIGHT THE FUQ NOW,” she tweeted. “I don’t give a good god damn that this is an author of color,” she said later in the tweetstorm. “Internalized racism and anti-blackness is a thing and I…no.”
talk about being a stereotype

edit:

:delicious

BikeJesus

« Reply #58031 on: February 02, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #58032 on: February 02, 2019, 01:03:19 AM »

WHOSE STREETS? OUR STREETS!
每天生气

benjipwns

« Reply #58033 on: February 02, 2019, 01:03:20 AM »
The hype train was derailed in mid-March, however, by Shauna Sinyard, a bookstore employee and blogger who writes primarily about YA and had a different take: “The Black Witch is the most dangerous, offensive book I have ever read,” she wrote in a nearly 9,000-word review that blasted the novel as an end-to-end mess of unadulterated bigotry. “It was ultimately written for white people. It was written for the type of white person who considers themselves to be not-racist and thinks that they deserve recognition and praise for treating POC like they are actually human.”

The Black Witch centers on a girl named Elloren who has been raised in a stratified society where other races (including selkies, fae, wolfmen, etc.) are considered inferior at best and enemies at worst. But when she goes off to college, she begins to question her beliefs, an ideological transformation she’s still working on when she joins with the rebellion in the last of the novel’s 600 pages. (It’s the first of a series; one hopes that Elloren will be more woke in book two.)

It was this premise that led Sinyard to slam The Black Witch as “racist, ableist, homophobic, and … written with no marginalized people in mind,” in a review that consisted largely of pull quotes featuring the book’s racist characters saying or doing racist things. Here’s a representative excerpt, an offending sentence juxtaposed with Sinyard’s commentary:

“pg. 163. The Kelts are not a pure race like us. They’re more accepting of intermarriage, and because of this, they’re hopelessly mixed.”

Yes, you just read that with your own two eyes. This is one of the times my jaw dropped in horror and I had to walk away from this book.
Sinyard kept a running tally of her review’s circulation; “11,714 views on my review of THE BLACK WITCH and .@HarlequinTEEN and .@laurieannforest have not commented,” she tweeted. (That number eventually swelled to 20,000.)

Positive buzz all but died off, as community members began confronting The Black Witch’s supporters, demanding to know why they insisted on reading a racist book.
this is great

benjipwns

« Reply #58034 on: February 02, 2019, 01:04:51 AM »
was among those who had been looking forward to The Black Witch

But her excitement soured when she caught wind of the book’s issues; just reading the sentences collected in Sinyard’s review and Twitter threads was painful, she says: “It hit me really hard. I’m so upset about it. It was very hurtful, and very, like, just harmful and triggering.”

benjipwns

« Reply #58035 on: February 02, 2019, 01:07:01 AM »
Sinyard politely declined my request for an interview in what seemed like a routine exchange, but then announced on Twitter that our interaction had “scared” her, leading to backlash from community members who insisted that the as-yet-unwritten story would endanger her life. Rumors quickly spread that I had threatened or harassed Sinyard; several influential authors instructed their followers not to speak to me; and one librarian and member of the Newbery Award committee tweeted at Vulture nearly a dozen times accusing them of enabling “a washed-up YA author” engaged in “a personalized crusade” against the entire publishing community
this is better than any of these books could be

benjipwns

« Reply #58036 on: February 02, 2019, 01:08:33 AM »
“They’re shouting at the people who already agree with them,” she says. “It sucks to say, but the fear is valid in that you will get dragged if you say, ‘Hey, maybe we shouldn’t tell this author to kill herself because one of her characters said something offensive.’” (Simone’s description is an exaggeration, but not by much. At the height of the pushback against The Black Witch, Forest was being derided as a Nazi sympathizer and accused of palling around with white supremacists, while those who questioned the tone of the discourse were rebuked for coded bigotry.)
huh sounds familiar but i can't quite place it... :hitler

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #58038 on: February 02, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »
Honestly going from tiny Twitter info to info is stupid. Like what does holding his sandwich exactly mean? Was he munching on it? Ok, that's suspicious as hell. Was it wrapped and he just carried it home? That sounds normal to me. I'd carry my stuff home, even if beaten up.

It's all dumb.  It's the same as the people who says, "clearly it was a _______," 15 minutes after a public spree shooting.  Let's just wait a fucking week or two instead of saying it's a hoax or that people are racist for saying "what a strange thing to occur." 

It's amazing how quickly two narratives are built and people accept that dichotomy on Era.  There always has to be either a 0 or a 10.  The concept of a 2 or more is moderate, centrist, both-siderism.   We'll likely never know what "truly" occurred so why not wait for something semi-definitive.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:42:02 AM by clothedmacuser »
sigh

benjipwns

« Reply #58039 on: February 02, 2019, 01:33:28 AM »

Author Tristina Wright was one of several who condemned would-be readers of called-out books, while young readers followed suit. “Imagine being so privileged you care about your own entertainment more than the hurt of marginalized people,” one tweeted, while another declared, “Reading a book specifically because it’s been called out for racism doesn’t make you a champion of independent thought. It makes you racist.”

Mimi, the teen blogger ... is upset by the lack of response from Harlequin and galled by descriptions of the novel as pro-diversity and anti-prejudice. “I wanted the author and publisher to understand that there were people who were hurt by this,” she says. “But [Forest] says her book is for diversity, anti-homophobia, anti-racism, and it’s poking fun at all of us, like we did this all for nothing.”
The Black Witch, which took one of the worst online beatings in recent memory, scored a No. 1 rating in Amazon’s department of “Teen & Young Adult Wizards Fantasy” a few days after its release
"How does this keep happening? We performed all the rituals!" they screamed into the echo chamber.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:39:08 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #58040 on: February 02, 2019, 02:02:57 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/digital-foundry-anthem-console-first-look-xbox-one-x-ps4-pro-head-to-head.97038/post-17470376
User banned (5 days): peddling insulting conspiracy theories towards another member + history of infractions for antagonistic behaviour

DF is pushing the pro ‘twist’ lately to gain clicks it seems. I’m surprised they didn’t go for another “ how does it compare? The results may shock you!” Tabloid headline again.

bonus points for the DF guy being directly below this post laughing it off in response, while others freak out about it

benjipwns

« Reply #58041 on: February 02, 2019, 02:03:58 AM »
User Banned (2 Days): Trolling forum member

Surely these numbers are wrong? Phantom Thief created a thread telling me switch was the biggest seller of 2018 days ago.
ResetERA™

benjipwns

« Reply #58042 on: February 02, 2019, 02:04:31 AM »
Honestly going from tiny Twitter info to info is stupid. Like what does holding his sandwich exactly mean? Was he munching on it? Ok, that's suspicious as hell. Was it wrapped and he just carried it home? That sounds normal to me. I'd carry my stuff home, even if beaten up.

It's all dumb.  It's the same as the people who says, "clearly it was a _______," 15 minutes after a public spree shooting.  Let's just wait a fucking week or two instead of saying it's a hoax or that people are racist for saying "what a strange thing to occur." 

It's amazing how quickly two narratives are built and people accept that dichotomy on Era.  There always has to be either a 0 or a 10.  The concept of a 2 or more is moderate, centrist, both-siderism.   We'll likely never know what "truly" occurred so why not wait for something semi-definitive.
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

In this case there seems to be no legitimate reason to doubt Smollett's account of what happened. As such, any discussion of him faking the attack will be treated as victim blaming and actioned as such.

pizzashit

« Reply #58043 on: February 02, 2019, 02:13:15 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #58044 on: February 02, 2019, 02:16:44 AM »
wait, these aren't normal everyday ResetERA.com posts?
User Warned: stereotyping the population of an entire state.

Outside of North Virginia....its pretty much Alabama. So expect that type of racism to exist there
User Banned (1 Week): Advocating and promoting systemic killing, inflammatory rhetoric

If the planet and the population continues going as is it might well become a viable situation where there would be orchestrated cullings of either humans or animals.

Hell China had a version of it through their one child policy that was active for 30 odd years

benjipwns

« Reply #58045 on: February 02, 2019, 02:18:24 AM »
User banned (duration pending): transphobia

Do taxpayers have to foot the bill for this surgery? I think it's a slippery slope. On one hand you have someone not living as their true self, but it's also not cancer where chemo is necessary.

I'm not trolling or trying to not be empathetic but, I can see both sides. But at the same time, they are in there for murder.
another marrec type

benjipwns

« Reply #58046 on: February 02, 2019, 02:19:51 AM »
https://twitter.com/RaniaKhalek/status/1091374534916272128

Dem Primary thread reacts...again:
Quote from: Royalan
It's 2019.

Can we do better than the random twitter clips that claim to dismantle a candidate and their entire record in a minute or less?
Harris literally NEVER advocates for more jails in that video.

You guys are just asking for a backlash on this shit.
Quote from: Mercury Fred
A video where Harris talks about looking at criminal justice holistically?

Getting really tired of the glib twitter hot takes.
Or post Russia Today contributors
Quote from: Mercury Fred
Oh she's an RT contributor? ffs
Quote from: Cheebs
Are you seriously posting tweets from people from RUSSIA TODAY???

Maybe, just maybe not resort to paid Russian shills for your hitjobs on progressives. Is that really a hard ask?
I think we can be above linking to paid russia shills though.
You'd think we''d know better, but in some ways we can be just as disingenuous as republicans..
Oh the Russian bots are really afraid of Kamala Harris. She is the biggest threat to Putin and Trump.
Yep pretty telling. They haven’t gone after Warren or Castro or Gillibrand or Tulsi (lol) like they have against Harris . They know who the biggest threat thus far is
Most of the snuffing is being done by Russian bots and left of left of left folks. Neither of those have a candidate in mind who can beat trump
Beto was the first victim. Hopefully he doesn't run, but damn if the attack dogs didn't jump right on him the moment there was the slightest incline that he had some popularity in the race.
I have a feeling that debunking all the lies that will be spread about candidates who don't pass some far left purity test will get exhausting...
The idea that the younger straight white male leftist demo on social media thinks they have the ability to torpedo a candidate is honestly weird to me.

Did they miss the fact Hillary not only beat Bernie but crushed him by over double digits despite everything being flung at her and this demo being united behind Bernie?

Soccer moms and African Americans still wield the power in Democratic primaries. Unless you win a significant portion of the African American vote it is near impossible to win a democratic national primary.

BikeJesus

« Reply #58047 on: February 02, 2019, 02:30:56 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jussie-smollett-breaks-his-silence-after-vicious-attack-im-ok.97099/post-17495911

Your holier-than-thou attitude is obnoxious. You can call me a racist all you want but to me all it shows is that your real life sucks and you like to make yourself feel better by passing judgment about people online.

You call me diet racist, but you’re full-blown asshole.

:salute

benjipwns

« Reply #58048 on: February 02, 2019, 02:38:00 AM »
Really, trump supporters have gone on premeditated mass shootings and shipped bombs to multiple people... why would anyone honestly be skeptical that they would plan a nonsensically violent attack?

The "skeptics" won't be convinced until they see bodies and then they'll make excuses for the killers.

trump supporters have shot up yoga studios targeting and killing innocent women, used vehicles to run into people, literally shoot random black people in stores, target churches and synagogues, etc

fucking seriously, you have to have your head up your ass to be skeptical about this story at this point
wow, good thing we can vote in 2020 maybe in case Mueller turns out to be a diet racist skeptic too

benjipwns

« Reply #58049 on: February 02, 2019, 02:40:44 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jussie-smollett-breaks-his-silence-after-vicious-attack-im-ok.97099/post-17495911

Your holier-than-thou attitude is obnoxious. You can call me a racist all you want but to me all it shows is that your real life sucks and you like to make yourself feel better by passing judgment about people online.

benjipwns

« Reply #58050 on: February 02, 2019, 02:47:31 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jussie-smollett-breaks-his-silence-after-vicious-attack-im-ok.97099/post-17496097
Quote from: Enzom21
You being a "liberal" and voting for Democrats doesn't mean a good goddamn thing.
YEAH WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO CALL HIM VONNEGUT, JUST SAY IT

clothedmacuser

« Reply #58051 on: February 02, 2019, 02:51:20 AM »
I like how they bring up it's statistically errant for a person to falsely report a hate crime.  No shit!  People aren't operating on statistics when they say it's a strange story.  It's just a strange fucking story and we have minimal information on it!

But on Era there are only two options to every single issue.  Either you are the racist or you smartly call a person a racist.  A dichotomy that leaves anything in the middle "both siderism" or "slickness."

PS. Why is there a Print button in the top right?
sigh

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #58052 on: February 02, 2019, 02:52:06 AM »
Enzom swooping in to remind the racist that he's still racist.

benjipwns

« Reply #58053 on: February 02, 2019, 02:54:26 AM »
FOR THE PRINT EDITION

benjipwns

« Reply #58054 on: February 02, 2019, 03:08:10 AM »
Quote from: The Kree
A reporter asked President Fuckface about his thoughts on what happened to Jussie and he just goes into talking about the wall.
Quote from: Krejlooc
They also asked him about the MAGA hats and he was like "I don't know anything about that"

well, now you do. Give a reaction.
pls justify my interests trump-senpai :uguu

clothedmacuser

« Reply #58055 on: February 02, 2019, 04:06:44 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-dont-understand-anyone-that-loves-rural-living.97097/post-17481316

User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalisations. History of similar of similar behaviour.

They love it because there aren't any minorities.

Era's need for red state appeal wins again!  Eat shit minoritized and women-folk!
sigh

benjipwns

« Reply #58056 on: February 02, 2019, 04:32:33 AM »
it cuz Sweet Nicole a redneck confederate lol

can only inflammatory generalize against places/people/etc. the mods identify with, otherwise get fucked you gamer scum, respect my storefront preferences

benjipwns

« Reply #58057 on: February 02, 2019, 04:41:36 AM »
https://twitter.com/Hobbesenero/status/1090073608838361088

YIKES NOT A GOOD LOOK FREELANCER (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DIGITAL ANVIL'S FREELANCER)

benjipwns

FStop7

« Reply #58059 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:32 AM »
For the record, I have no idea what to believe. It's a super fishy story, and the lack of ANY video showing anything is odd, but I'm not going to call the dude a liar. I'm just in it for the Twitter lulz, because the MAGA turds and the Woke turds are fighting an excellent war with a tiny sliver of info to go on.

This is where I’m at.  God forbid we wait for the investigation before entrenching ourselves.

benjipwns

« Reply #58060 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:44 AM »

User Banned (5 Days): Conspiratorial Thread Derailment and Hostility
:rejoice

FStop7

« Reply #58061 on: February 02, 2019, 05:04:48 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/jussie-smollett-breaks-his-silence-after-vicious-attack-im-ok.97099/post-17496097
You being a "liberal" and voting for Democrats doesn't mean a good goddamn thing.
YEAH WHAT DO YOU REALLY WANT TO CALL HIM VONNEGUT, JUST SAY IT

I swear to God this dude is harnessed up in some dungeon screaming “PLEASE CALL ME IT” at a bored dominatrix.

benjipwns

« Reply #58062 on: February 02, 2019, 05:10:48 AM »
haha

User banned (1 week): trolling, derailing, and backseat moderation over a series of posts + history of infractions
Sounds like a Bowiez post.
So we're straight up bullying people now, cool.

benjipwns

« Reply #58063 on: February 02, 2019, 05:17:47 AM »
If this were my dad (who I really like) I would likely never speak to him again. You can't trust someone after a revelation like this
:dead

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #58064 on: February 02, 2019, 05:18:10 AM »
haha

User banned (1 week): trolling, derailing, and backseat moderation over a series of posts + history of infractions
Sounds like a Bowiez post.
So we're straight up bullying people now, cool.

More time to compile his Trump dossier.
ὕβρις

FStop7

« Reply #58065 on: February 02, 2019, 06:41:02 AM »

Easier for Mueller

skullstorm

« Reply #58066 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:04 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-dont-understand-anyone-that-loves-rural-living.97097/post-17481316

User Banned (3 days): Inflammatory generalisations. History of similar of similar behaviour.

They love it because there aren't any minorities.

Woah dude, history of history of similar of similar.... where does it all end

:thinking

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #58067 on: February 02, 2019, 06:58:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/Hobbesenero/status/1090073608838361088

YIKES NOT A GOOD LOOK FREELANCER (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH DIGITAL ANVIL'S FREELANCER)

freelancer is such a great game. shame it aint on gog
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #58068 on: February 02, 2019, 07:03:00 AM »
User Banned (5 Days): Conspiratorial Thread Derailment and Hostility
:rejoice

CONSPIRATORIAL

:neogaf :heh :gamergate :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :hans1 :gamergate :heh :neogaf
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #58069 on: February 02, 2019, 07:10:13 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/chinese-writer-tianyi-sentenced-to-10-years-in-prison-for-gay-erotic-novel.97238/

Harmful books shouldn't be published.

Oh wait, my bad, People's Republic of China thread.

Harmful books shouldn't be published.
Yikes censorship !
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #58070 on: February 02, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »
Former mp1st ?

How the fuck do you lose your 'job' at a clickbait ad website.

:lol
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #58071 on: February 02, 2019, 07:16:37 AM »
Quote from: stinkles
Bill has become an uncomfortable hybrid of Lou Dobbs and Larry David, but with all the self awareness and cutting edge intellectual insight of Dennis Miller and Joe Rogan.

I'm no longer in the market for broken clock political humor.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bill-maher-lashes-out-after-stan-lee-comments-insults-superhero-fans-and-kevin-smith.95833/page-13#post-17412828

Only broken clock political punditry or always accurate humor ?
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #58073 on: February 02, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »
Quote from: stinkles
Bill has become an uncomfortable hybrid of Lou Dobbs and Larry David, but with all the self awareness and cutting edge intellectual insight of Dennis Miller and Joe Rogan.

I'm no longer in the market for broken clock political humor.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bill-maher-lashes-out-after-stan-lee-comments-insults-superhero-fans-and-kevin-smith.95833/page-13#post-17412828

Only broken clock political punditry or always accurate humor ?
look at how he uses four names to not explain his description of what Bill Maher has become

professional writer!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #58074 on: February 02, 2019, 07:31:09 AM »
because I work a decent paying job already.
Surejan.gif
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #58075 on: February 02, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #58076 on: February 02, 2019, 07:37:32 AM »
Esports

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #58077 on: February 02, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »
2 weeks later

"Left my job at the esports team. They only pay me if I win. That is way too stressful and borderline extortion"
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #58078 on: February 02, 2019, 08:00:05 AM »
Read her follow-up posts.

This guy tried to chat with her about some games he made and she covered.

"I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK I'M RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG SEXIST"

"EEEUEUHHH IT TALKS TO ME.. HALP HALP I'M BEING HARASSED"

What do you think happens when you go to a GAME CONFERENCE.  :doge
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #58079 on: February 02, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/anitasarkeesian/status/1091362266363117568

Reading the replies, I became a green tiger.

those are all bots

jack should really do something about twitter hijacking

The rural living thread is really baffling, as it seems like that would be the ideal lifestyle for misanthropes who are terrified of any interaction with other people and are convinced everything and everyone is dangerous and probably a nazi.

Yea, but do you really want be lumped in with a group that is obviously so racist they have to isolate themselves from society!?!?