Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5899394 times)

Boredfrom

Re: Other Forums |OT| The Desperation For Outrage
« Reply #57840 on: February 01, 2019, 12:27:31 PM »
But who will tell me now that Monster Hunter World has problematic colonial elements, only to complain one sentence later about repetitive quests?

(Image removed from quote.)

90% of the DQXI review was this shit.

I feel you can be woke without being a total cunt when you are reviewing a video game.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #57841 on: February 01, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »
But who will tell me now that Monster Hunter World has problematic colonial elements, only to complain one sentence later about repetitive quests?

90% of the DQXI review was this shit.

A "slight tinge of Punch-out racism" is what I expect in all of my media

:delicious

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #57842 on: February 01, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
Got called a racist multiple times in the Giantbomb Infinite chat because I said this scene in Temple of Doom was funny

I said it was funny and obviously not meant to be taken seriously

but then a few people ganged up on me and said I was a racist

LOL fucking idiots

What

Boredfrom

« Reply #57843 on: February 01, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »
They both left voluntarily lol. Patrick especially has always had not-so-subtle criticisms with how GB chooses to react to more serious topics in the industry, like GamerGate.

“That’s why he was part of the Gawker family of scumbags gossip masters”.

Also, maybe the problem was not GB stance about a internet shitstorm when Patrick’s friends like Braianna Wu were dog pilling then as soon they tried to make a stance...

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #57844 on: February 01, 2019, 12:35:02 PM »
As much as I love the chemistry that Austin and Patrick have with a lot of the GB crew, it’s true that GB (and more to the point, its fans/supporters) are much more about games as entertainment (and therefore escapism) as opposed to a jumping off point to talk about real-world issues and culture in general, which is definitely Waypoint’s beat. Do I think GB needs more of the latter? Absolutely. But I think their subs will throw a shitfit if they do. I think the takes in here that Waypoint and its staff have grown their focus in a direction that would clash with 2019 Giant Bomb. There’s totally space for both and I hope Waypoint survives this.

Almost as if they're a gaming outlet   :o

Boredfrom

« Reply #57845 on: February 01, 2019, 12:36:38 PM »
Got called a racist multiple times in the Giantbomb Infinite chat because I said this scene in Temple of Doom was funny

I said it was funny and obviously not meant to be taken seriously

but then a few people ganged up on me and said I was a racist

LOL fucking idiots

I remember one time I was soft banned and the only real reason they give me was “because a lot of people flagged you”. Doesn’t surprise me people barely post in the comments anymore.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #57846 on: February 01, 2019, 12:36:49 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-media-laying-off-hundreds-to-reduce-costs-waypoint-possibly-eliminated.97081/post-17475017

Over two hundred people are losing their job, but I think the most important thing to discuss is which members of Giant Bomb I like the most or the least!

Such tone policing.

:jeanluc

Boredfrom

« Reply #57847 on: February 01, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-media-laying-off-hundreds-to-reduce-costs-waypoint-possibly-eliminated.97081/post-17475017

Over two hundred people are losing their job, but I think the most important thing to discuss is which members of Giant Bomb I like the most or the least!

Such tone policing.

:jeanluc

I mean, most people just know the site as “that annoying website were Austin and Patrick bitched about something”.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57848 on: February 01, 2019, 12:40:58 PM »
I posted in that thread with my alt. Can you guess which one is mine?

8)

The soon to be banned one. REE mods read the bore.

Jansen

« Reply #57849 on: February 01, 2019, 12:41:59 PM »
https://dailycaller.com/2018/01/24/vice-waypoint-transphobia/
But Waypoint already had its Ally status revoked

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #57850 on: February 01, 2019, 12:42:07 PM »
I posted in that thread with my alt. Can you guess which one is mine?

8)

The soon to be banned one. REE mods read the bore.

Why would they set foot on a hate website?
:O

Boredfrom

« Reply #57852 on: February 01, 2019, 12:47:33 PM »
It's hilarious that people are acting like it's super logical that Austin should go from running his own site to being fifth wheel at a place he quit before. That checks out as the ideal career trajectory; makes perfect sense and isn't at all just bullshit fan projection.

I remember when in a E3 video Austin half joked about skipping work and Jeff, with a uncharacteristic and different tone of sarcasm he usually does, said “no you don’t”. Austin was not the best person to run a website.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57853 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:23 PM »
I'm terribly upset I don't like their content. I really liked Austin at GB, and Patrick I generally was a fan of, so it's not a personal thing at all.

Awesome? Fuck off to a thread about that then.

Threads about people losing their jobs are not the place to moan about how you didn’t like their work.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-media-laying-off-hundreds-to-reduce-costs-waypoint-possibly-eliminated.97081/page-5#post-17475768

:lol

james

« Reply #57854 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
Isnt Jeff the dude that gave Mario Kart a 6.8?

How the man went anywhere from that is a marvel of white privilege. Should be cleaning toilets at an elementary school for special needs kids.

Averon

« Reply #57855 on: February 01, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
Oh well. Hope they all land on their feet but Waypoint was so far up it's own arse it hurt. Just checked out the home page and man...eye rolling stuff....

"I Wish Resident Evil 2 Let Me Be a More Compassionate Hero"

Nothing wrong with that article. Grow up.

Also definitely not the thread for this bullshit.

Truly, you're the hero we all need.

Really nothing like taking a thread about the potential loss of people's jobs and using it as a platform to take a shot at them

Hey, dum dums. It was shitty, hot take articles like those that made WayPoint an unsustainable business. The market for a site that's main focus is the socio-political aspects of video games are very niche. The sooner you all understand that, the sooner you can have your "WayPoint" style site that doesn't collapse on itself in under 5 years.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57856 on: February 01, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
My issue is that their take on social political issues were terrible hot takes that would be found in a live journal. They even had a fan fic fest for their GOTY  :lol .

They were not even good enough for that niche.

Shuri

« Reply #57857 on: February 01, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
Remember when the systemic sexual harassment stories about Vice came out and the Waypoint crew played dead for a couple days until they posted some half assed ‘LeTS WaIT FOr THe FaCTs’ message

Very unique, much needed voice

Boredfrom

« Reply #57858 on: February 01, 2019, 01:02:45 PM »
This is such a terrible take. Thoughts and prayers are bullshit because they happen in place of actual change and reform. Condolences happen in the place of taking a shot at people who are now unemployed. How can you pretend the two are even slightly comparable?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/vice-media-laying-off-hundreds-to-reduce-costs-waypoint-possibly-eliminated-update-or-nah-news-to-follow-soon.97081/post-17475923

:lol.

Jesus, dude. Stupei is acting specially distinguished mentally-challenged in this thread.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #57859 on: February 01, 2019, 01:02:59 PM »
Remember when the systemic sexual harassment stories about Vice came out and the Waypoint crew played dead for a couple days until they posted some half assed ‘LeTS WaIT FOr THe FaCTs’ message

Very unique, much needed voice
Same thing that happened when Austin was in the running for a job at GB and insisted his friend's sexual misconduct should be ignored. :thinking Probably a coincidence.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #57860 on: February 01, 2019, 01:03:00 PM »
That thread is getting salty.

It's kind of just how Era always is. So few people here are able to empathize that there are humans on the other side. Look at any current Anthem thread, it's a bunch of shitposting, people talking about how it's already a bomb, game looks like crap. Then, if the hypothetical situations arrives when Anthem bombs and Bioware shutters, suddenly all those people are now offering condolences.

The gaming community can be one of the absolute worst.

Hmm, let me see how the OT handles death threads...

Meanwhile...

If you can't see this isn't the time and place for that then I don't know what to tell you.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57861 on: February 01, 2019, 01:03:45 PM »
If you want to do navel gazing shower thoughts about whatever videogame you just played, you should have been doing it on youtube and been a patreon bitch for at least the last 5 years.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57862 on: February 01, 2019, 01:07:07 PM »
If you want to do navel gazing shower thoughts about whatever videogame you just played, you should have been doing it on youtube and been a patreon bitch for at least the last 5 years.

The issue is that Patrick is a black hole of charisma since his GB days.

Averon

« Reply #57863 on: February 01, 2019, 01:07:50 PM »
You think so? I feel like their content has far more mainstream reach than other gaming outlets on Patreon like KF or EZA who mostly just focus on games. Oh well.

:comeon

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57864 on: February 01, 2019, 01:09:03 PM »

The issue is that Patrick is a black hole of charisma since his GB days.

Then you hire a good looking intern to act as a frontispiece, and they'll happily do it to establish an audience for when they want to jump ship and do the same thing

thetylerrob

« Reply #57865 on: February 01, 2019, 01:09:22 PM »
That Danielle Riendeu girl has brought up that she's an emt at least 1000 times since starting at that site. Jesus christ get a personality or something.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #57866 on: February 01, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
That Danielle Riendeu girl has brought up that she's an emt at least 1000 times since starting at that site. Jesus christ get a personality or something.

probably better than her other trick of shitting on trans people and refusing to apologize

Boredfrom

« Reply #57867 on: February 01, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
I feel Patrick is Liam from SuperBestFriends if he was less self aware and with self hate  tendencies.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57868 on: February 01, 2019, 01:19:10 PM »
Quote from: Patrick
Everyone chill.

Please continue with your fan fiction.

“Let’s wait for the facts”.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #57869 on: February 01, 2019, 01:25:23 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #57870 on: February 01, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/aoc-for-all-those-who-think-your-bigoted-calls-digital-threats-are-anonymous-enjoy.97105/

I thought it was common knowledge that threatening a representative is a felony so getting people investigated is not something unique on Ocasio-Cortez.

Also, doxxing is okay:

Lock them up.

No, seriously, please. Make some examples.

Leadbelly

« Reply #57871 on: February 01, 2019, 01:30:56 PM »
Look at it this way: they can finally stop pretending they are interested in the industries they cover and go and be a full time political activist, which is were the true passions lay for many of these people.

It's funny. I don't recall them ever being overtly political until 'woke' became fashionable. Although, I didn't read them enough back then to really know. It's just that it only really came to my attention with Waypoint. I guess, if you observed GAF at its most insane, and then ResetEra after, you could be forgiven for thinking there was an actual audience there. In their liberal bubble it probably seemed like the way forward for them.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #57872 on: February 01, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #57873 on: February 01, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
AOC is so amazing, she's letting people know that threats against public officials are taken seriously!

Breath of fresh air.

:preach

Boredfrom

« Reply #57874 on: February 01, 2019, 01:34:14 PM »
Look at it this way: they can finally stop pretending they are interested in the industries they cover and go and be a full time political activist, which is were the true passions lay for many of these people.

It's funny. I don't recall them ever being overtly political until 'woke' became fashionable. Although, I didn't read them enough back then to really know. It's just that it only really came to my attention with Waypoint. I guess, if you observed GAF at its most insane, and then ResetEra after, you could be forgiven for thinking there was an actual audience there. In their liberal bubble it probably seemed like the way forward for them.

There is audience, just not big enough for what Waypoint is aspiring to be.

thetylerrob

« Reply #57875 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
The article "I Wish Resident Evil 2 Let Me Be a More Compassionate Hero" has enhanced precisely 0 people's lives upon being published

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57876 on: February 01, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »
AOC is so amazing, she's letting people know that threats against public officials are taken seriously!

Breath of fresh air.

:preach

era: "Wait, tweeting @realdonaldtrump you're an ornage faced cunt and I hope you die puts you on some kind of watchlist?"

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57877 on: February 01, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
The article "I Wish Resident Evil 2 Let Me Be a More Compassionate Hero" has enhanced precisely 0 people's lives upon being published

If only there was some kind of learnable skill that would enable an individual to create such a product

Jenkem

• MARANAX INFIRMUX
« Reply #57878 on: February 01, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
feeding people so they don't die of starvation is so dehumanizing

:doge

Leadbelly

« Reply #57879 on: February 01, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »

There is audience, just not big enough for what Waypoint is aspiring to be.

Well yeah. I mean a sizeable audience. They overestimated the audience. That might have been easy to do if you actually took GAF seriously.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #57880 on: February 01, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »

I had to look it up

That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

Jesus fucking christ. Yeah, none of you woke assholes would go to a police station if the city was overrun. Sure.

This is just the second paragraph. If the site gets shut down they have no one to blame but themselves

thetylerrob

« Reply #57881 on: February 01, 2019, 01:50:11 PM »
That notion is wild, the police station as fortress/safe haven is laughably naive (particularly for people of color). It certainly was in the 90s as well, and really, when has policing in America ever actually been about keeping neighborhoods safe as opposed to keeping a racist status quo up and running?

:neogaf

And the game doesn’t give me any tools for mending wounds or even putting gauze or bandages on something. The only first aid items are hilarious magical herbs and sprays, though the guns and blood look, well, more or less like the actual thing. This is a game about dealing and surviving damage, not healing it.

And after awhile, I subtly give in to its goofy logic.
:ego

I’m also not really allowed to do anything I please, as the verbs are pretty limited. I wanted to play with all the food items in the store in the opening gameplay scene. Look at all the goofy fake labels and such, like I do in a Life is Strange game or a walking sim. But that’s a very different sort of permission fantasy, isn’t it? The ability to touch and play with so many aspects of a world, with no angry shopkeeper staring at me and my now-very-obviously-queer haircut.
???

Nobody actually wants to read your dumbass forum post tier shit writing dog

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #57882 on: February 01, 2019, 01:50:36 PM »

I had to look it up

Jesus fucking christ. Yeah, none of you woke assholes would go to a police station if the city was overrun. Sure.

ACAB, Frank, even in a zombie apocalypse. :bolo

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #57883 on: February 01, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
ACAZ :thinking

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #57884 on: February 01, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »

I had to look it up

ACAB, Frank, even in a zombie apocalypse. :bolo

Always Call A Black?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #57885 on: February 01, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
Waypoint is gutter trash.
Glad it's gone or about to be demolished.

Also if her haters were smart they'd flood AOC with poems, Sonic/AOC fanart or something else she can't report.  :thinking
🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57886 on: February 01, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »
I’m also not really allowed to do anything I please, as the verbs are pretty limited. I wanted to play with all the food items in the store in the opening gameplay scene. Look at all the goofy fake labels and such, like I do in a Life is Strange game or a walking sim. But that’s a very different sort of permission fantasy, isn’t it? The ability to touch and play with so many aspects of a world, with no angry shopkeeper staring at me and my now-very-obviously-queer haircut.
???

This would be the person in a zombie movie who gets bitten because they were too busy examining the label of the Umbrella Brand Sriracha Sauce to check if its gluten free to notice the torso only zombie slowly crawling towards them for the last 10 minutes, who will then not tell anyone they were bitten, and when they turn and their now-very-obviously-zombie-head explodes in a shotgun blast the audience cheers

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #57887 on: February 01, 2019, 02:13:10 PM »
Reset needs to learn that if a thread has enough material for us to MST3K on it for half a page they'd better close it because it's only going to get worse

Every fucking time
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #57888 on: February 01, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »
Waypoint is gutter trash.
Glad it's gone or about to be demolished.

Also if her haters were smart they'd flood AOC with poems, Sonic/AOC fanart or something else she can't report.  :thinking

Sadly, they're this guy.

A rare MAG who eventually evolved into MAGA.

That's a Pokemon you don't see often in the wild.
🤴

Leadbelly

« Reply #57889 on: February 01, 2019, 02:21:36 PM »
That thread was updated actually. It seems Waypoint isn't dead just yet. There is just going to be lay-offs. It is unclear exactly how this affects Waypoint.

Also, someone posted a quote from a Waypoint article on Resident Evil 2.

Early on, protagonists Claire and Leon hear a radio message instructing all citizens to head for the station.

What do you suggest?

"All white people, head for the Station. All people of colour, you're fucked!"

Boredfrom

« Reply #57890 on: February 01, 2019, 02:24:19 PM »
Worst take I've read in a while. Your post, that is. I guess applying actual real-life thought to video games criticism is a very hard concept for some people? Let's discuss framerates and gore all day long instead, heyoooo!

What is the real life logic behind “there is a zombie outbreak, I rather die that go with the pigs”

stufte

« Reply #57891 on: February 01, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
Zombie super virus apocalypse? -seems legit
PoC being OK with a police station as a refuge? -WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

marrec

« Reply #57892 on: February 01, 2019, 02:29:05 PM »
That thread was updated actually. It seems Waypoint isn't dead just yet. There is just going to be lay-offs. It is unclear exactly how this affects Waypoint.

Also, someone posted a quote from a Waypoint article on Resident Evil 2.

Early on, protagonists Claire and Leon hear a radio message instructing all citizens to head for the station.

What do you suggest?

"All white people, head for the Station. All people of colour, you're fucked!"

You could have told me that was from The Onion's review of Resident Evil 2 and I'd have believed you.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57893 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:59 PM »
Many of Giantbomb's biggest and most notable moments ever (reveals of Xbox 180 and PS4 Neo) were thanks to the Waypoint crew

Not totally wrong, but Waypoint has not breaking news moments.

I was thinking something similar when I saw this. Its coming at a time when there's less reliably paying media outlets for actual journalists competing with youtubers with massive followings that just spew whatever into the ether with an election year right around the corner (again).

:doge

Leadbelly

« Reply #57894 on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:30 PM »
The other thing is, there are many police stations in America that have a significant percentage of minority police officers. It's not like police departments are just filled with white rednecks.

Would anyone really think, in any case, in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse, the police would be more concerned about arresting people of colour on trumped up charges than the threat of Zombies all over the city? Plant like cocaine in their back pocket and tell them to put their hands up.

"I told you to put your hands up!"

*Shoots unarmed man*

"I thought I saw a gun"

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #57895 on: February 01, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »
shane's early vice travel guides were legendary. had a proper pulpy edge and were sincere in all the ways that modern vice is terrified of.

they're about as punk as dave matthews band at this point.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #57896 on: February 01, 2019, 02:35:49 PM »
Its kind of racist to say that in a zombie apocalypse where people are recommended to head to the latest police station black people would be all "Aw HELL NAW, I ain't fallin' for no entrapment by the popo, they probly tryna make me pay my parking tickets and steal my weed or whatever"

e:
thats some michael bay comic relief level shit right there

marrec

« Reply #57897 on: February 01, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »
The other thing is, there are many police stations in America that have a significant percentage of minority police officers. It's not like police departments are just filled with white rednecks.

Would anyone really think, in any case, in the midst of a Zombie Apocalypse, the police would be more concerned about arresting people of colour on trumped up charges than the threat of Zombies all over the city? Plant like cocaine in their back pocket and tell them to put their hands up.

*Shoots unarmed man*

"I thought I saw a gun"

Now I think y'all are being unfair... a bit. I do think there would be specific communities or neighborhoods who wouldn't trust the police or a police station even in the event of something like a zombie apocalypse... I can think of quite a few neighborhoods in Pittsburgh that would rather loot the police station and make their own safe house. Trust in the police isn't immaterial simply for lack of a proper catalyst.

What's stupid about the line is that it's insulting to even imagine in the context of Resident Evil 2, a remake of a bad cheesy 90s zombie game. There are plenty of things you can critique about Resident Evil 2, but invoking minority distrust of police is just fucking virtue signaling 100%.

Boredfrom

« Reply #57898 on: February 01, 2019, 02:45:22 PM »

*Shoots unarmed man*

"I thought I saw a gun"

Now I think y'all are being unfair... a bit. I do think there would be specific communities or neighborhoods who wouldn't trust the police or a police station even in the event of something like a zombie apocalypse... I can think of quite a few neighborhoods in Pittsburgh that would rather loot the police station and make their own safe house. Trust in the police isn't immaterial simply for lack of a proper catalyst.

What's stupid about the line is that it's insulting to even imagine in the context of Resident Evil 2, a remake of a bad cheesy 90s zombie game. There are plenty of things you can critique about Resident Evil 2, but invoking minority distrust of police is just fucking virtue signaling 100%.

Here is the thing: you explained it way better than the Waypoint dude could ever do.

I seriously doubt Waypoint is not going to be affected but it sounds they will be severely downsized given that Patrick and Austin have not outright confirmed they are safe.

james

« Reply #57899 on: February 01, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
Does retromelon post here?

He got banned for not supporting Kamala