Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5828491 times)

PogiJones

Re: Other Forums Trash Thread for Other Forums' Trash |OT| That ain't it, chief
« Reply #43920 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:49 PM »
That's not Pogi though. He's not a DILF. :uguu

No need to imagine, we already are Friends  :itagaki

PogiJones

« Reply #43921 on: November 15, 2018, 11:37:27 PM »
Did I tell you guys I was basically a but-for cause of DOTA turning out how it did?

Back when WC3 came out, I thought the World Editor was super cool, and started to get into learning it. I got my buddy to help me with making a map about a bunch of heroes from various games and movies. Figuring out how to make unique abilities was really fun. We made a ton, probably like 15 or 20 heroes. Turns out the Samus I made was super broken because of her ice beam I gave her. Also, I wanted to add all of her abilities from the games, so I ended up using item slots to add more abilities, since they wouldn't all fit in the ability slots. She was super broken.

I digress.

My buddy I got to help me made Morphling at that time (along with a bunch of other heroes that never made it over to DOTA, but their ideas did). Eventually I left the country for a few years and basically lost contact with him and WC3 generally. When I came back, my buddy told me that he'd taken what he learned from our map and gone on to help some dudes make this map called Defense of the Ancients. He was the lead of DOTA for a while. Neichus, if you've heard of him. (Funilly enough, just looking it up, his wiki entry on the DOTA wiki has his first name wrong, but I don't know if he told people the wrong name for anonymity's sake or something). He's not as famous as IceFrog, but a lot of people know him. And my little project got him into it, and was the birthing ground for a lot of heroes that ended up in DOTA.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is to say that I'm the closest thing to a developer we have on this board.

Borealis

« Reply #43922 on: November 15, 2018, 11:40:02 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/notorious-resetera-mod-brongson-lee-is-a-certified-genwunner.81328/

Exhibit #5130 of lame ERA noise and why its mod team isn't even worth the piles of shit its PowerTM users dish out. 

Clockwork5

« Reply #43923 on: November 15, 2018, 11:41:36 PM »
The one time a girl ate my ass it was very intense and pleasurable.

Yeah whatever I bet you came early too you fucking goob

That Lyft thread sure went places before it got locked. I mean, it was just starting to get interesting.

Sman

« Reply #43924 on: November 16, 2018, 12:28:07 AM »
November 19th is probably the biggest day of the year for the Bore/Evilbore. What are you borians planning to do?

spoiler (click to show/hide)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #43925 on: November 16, 2018, 12:51:08 AM »
Did I tell you guys I was basically a but-for cause of DOTA turning out how it did?

Back when WC3 came out, I thought the World Editor was super cool, and started to get into learning it. I got my buddy to help me with making a map about a bunch of heroes from various games and movies. Figuring out how to make unique abilities was really fun. We made a ton, probably like 15 or 20 heroes. Turns out the Samus I made was super broken because of her ice beam I gave her. Also, I wanted to add all of her abilities from the games, so I ended up using item slots to add more abilities, since they wouldn't all fit in the ability slots. She was super broken.

I digress.

My buddy I got to help me made Morphling at that time (along with a bunch of other heroes that never made it over to DOTA, but their ideas did). Eventually I left the country for a few years and basically lost contact with him and WC3 generally. When I came back, my buddy told me that he'd taken what he learned from our map and gone on to help some dudes make this map called Defense of the Ancients. He was the lead of DOTA for a while. Neichus, if you've heard of him. (Funilly enough, just looking it up, his wiki entry on the DOTA wiki has his first name wrong, but I don't know if he told people the wrong name for anonymity's sake or something). He's not as famous as IceFrog, but a lot of people know him. And my little project got him into it, and was the birthing ground for a lot of heroes that ended up in DOTA.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is to say that I'm the closest thing to a developer we have on this board.

Pics or didn't happen.

That's not Pogi though. He's not a DILF. :uguu

No need to imagine, we already are Friends  :itagaki

:itagaki

:fbm Sorta kidding.
[close]

PogiJones

« Reply #43926 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:34 AM »
Pics or didn't happen.

You're not getting dick pics smh

ResetBanBot

« Reply #43928 on: November 16, 2018, 03:33:10 AM »
Gamejournos should not be allowed to talk about the nuances of game engine development. Good luck refactoring a 14+ year old code-base, created with support for consoles that are no longer manufactured, and touched by people who have long since moved on to new jobs. There is no leg to stand on when it comes to "it's basically a new engine!" considering the long held technical limitations involving FoV and framerate.

I wrote a game engine for a hobby game.

tummyfat

« Reply #43929 on: November 16, 2018, 07:07:04 AM »
Morphling sucks

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43930 on: November 16, 2018, 07:18:27 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/democrats-have-made-one-thing-very-clear-about-2020-they%E2%80%99re-over-white-men.81242/#post-15024794

User Warned: Inappropriate Content
MOD EDIT: NSFW SITE inside spoiler tags
 :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw
NSFW
:gddr5
:jeanluc
:exxy
BLACKED.COM
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #43932 on: November 16, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »
At least the sex was consensual, unlike Bowie's

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43933 on: November 16, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rutheniccookie-who-broke-news-of-sony-not-going-to-e3-says-ps5-is-a-monster-details-inside.1468163/

Quote from: Dabaus, post: 253580442, member: 742340
I genuinely believe this is a controlled leak by Sony to throw Microsoft off their trail. We’re getting a lot of “leaks” with different and conflicting information and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just my 2 cents.

C O N S P I R A C Y
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #43934 on: November 16, 2018, 07:57:28 AM »
Those moral greenlight threads are always hilarious.

The weak of mind* have a strong urge to have behavioural and moral guidelines imposed on them; how else would they know what is right and wrong? Thinking for yourself is hard.
Explains the success of organized religion.

*All that will eventually remain because Resetera is driving away anyone capable of independent thought.

Shuri

« Reply #43935 on: November 16, 2018, 08:00:21 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/notorious-resetera-mod-brongson-lee-is-a-certified-genwunner.81328/

Exhibit #5130 of lame ERA noise and why its mod team isn't even worth the piles of shit its PowerTM users dish out.
Look, if this is what it takes to get them to actually vote on something..

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43936 on: November 16, 2018, 08:12:24 AM »
*All that will eventually remain because Resetera is driving away anyone capable of independent thought.

That would explain how spambots are getting through their strict email signup vetting process
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hellgate-london-surprise-launch-on-steam-today.81326/#post-15041805

« Reply #43937 on: November 16, 2018, 08:41:50 AM »
Why are they giving Bethesda any benefit of the doubt? The Fallout 76 noclip video with one of the programmers had him saying he was taking out stuff that still applied to silt striders from morrowind in the code.

Personally I prefer the jank if it’s the way to keep modding in. How many unreal engine 4 or id tech 6 games do you see with modding at a Bethesda games level?

Edit: also is that really opa-opa on RE?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:53:40 AM by ZombieSupaStar »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43938 on: November 16, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
How many unreal engine 4 or id tech 6 games do you see with modding at a Bethesda games level?

id games releasing modding tools for their idTech games died the day they got bought out by Zenimax  :(
Pretty likely theres never going to be another idtech source code release either

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #43939 on: November 16, 2018, 09:16:33 AM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rutheniccookie-who-broke-news-of-sony-not-going-to-e3-says-ps5-is-a-monster-details-inside.1468163/

Quote from: Dabaus, post: 253580442, member: 742340
I genuinely believe this is a controlled leak by Sony to throw Microsoft off their trail. We’re getting a lot of “leaks” with different and conflicting information and I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just my 2 cents.

C O N S P I R A C Y

4K/60 stable and at the same time kinda monster

Only thing i can tell right now for specs is Ryzen 8 core, Price is 500$
PS VR 2 on the other hand will have no breaker box this time around it’ll be inside the console

It’s either March or November,
:gurl ok sure

thetylerrob

« Reply #43940 on: November 16, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
lmao that's not how console work you dumb shits

thisismyusername

« Reply #43941 on: November 16, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »
Pics or didn't happen.

:fbm

I wasn't even talking dick pics. I was asking for proof of the mod files. Geez. Stop thinking I want in your pants 24/7.

PogiJones

« Reply #43942 on: November 16, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Pics or didn't happen.

I wasn't even talking dick pics. I was asking for proof of the mod files. Geez. Stop thinking I want in your pants 24/7.

You're making me explain the joke and sucking the humor out of it.  :rage

Whenever you've asked for nudes, I've deflected and pretended you're asking for something else.

When you finally ask for something else, I pretended you were asking for dick pics.

It was funny, tbh, till you went and ruined it.  :stahp Our interactions will never be the same.

thisismyusername

« Reply #43943 on: November 16, 2018, 11:20:10 AM »
Pics or didn't happen.

(Image removed from quote.)

I know. ;)

Oh, I got the humor. I was rolling with it. Now you've ruined my mock-offense.

That's okay though, we can fix that: S E N D N U D E S. ;)

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #43945 on: November 16, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »
Pics or didn't happen.

(Image removed from quote.)

Whenever you've asked for nudes, I've deflected and pretended you're asking for something else.

When you finally ask for something else, I pretended you were asking for dick pics.

It was funny, tbh, till you went and ruined it.  :stahp Our interactions will never be the same.
:goty

You’re no fun.

FStop7

« Reply #43946 on: November 16, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’m-fine-with-women-in-power-just-not-this-one-specific-woman-currently-in-power.81429/

The fucking Yaas Queeners cannot let it go.  Hillary is done.  Stop it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43947 on: November 16, 2018, 01:16:04 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i’m-fine-with-women-in-power-just-not-this-one-specific-woman-currently-in-power.81429/

Hillary's aides recently wrote a WSJ op-ed that Hillary 4.0 would be the progressive firebrand the world needs to get back on track.
Get ready for Hillary Clinton 4.0. More than 30 years in the making, this new version of Mrs. Clinton, when she runs for president in 2020, will come full circle — back to the universal-health-care-promoting progressive firebrand of 1994. True to her name, Mrs. Clinton will fight this out until the last dog dies. She won’t let a little thing like two stunning defeats stand in the way of her claim to the White House.
She would get revenge at the 'amateurs' that beat her in 2008.

Sorry to dissapoint, I wish that was my fan faction but this is real. Google it.
[close]
🤴

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #43948 on: November 16, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »
If Hillary gets the Dem vote in 2020, I guess we know who will win the presidency (again). :(

Fuck this shit.

They're delusional if they think a Clinton has ANY chance of winning.

back to the universal-health-care-promoting progressive firebrand of 1994.

I wonder if she'll bring back the Super Predator language as well.  :doge

Jansen

« Reply #43949 on: November 16, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/15062413/

Quote from: Harald23, post: 15062413, member: 36622
Games we know they could run on Switch but big companies not willing to support 4 platforms, because reasons.

Nintendo fans and their persecution complex

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #43951 on: November 16, 2018, 01:54:32 PM »

Someone needs to ask them their opinion on Theresa May or Merkel. Or hell, even fucking Sarah Palin. They’ll happily get all misogynistic in that bitch if it’s someone they view as the enemy.

PogiJones

« Reply #43952 on: November 16, 2018, 02:17:08 PM »
You’re no fun.
Yeah, but tbf, his post read as completely serious to me, so I just wanted to clarify I wasn't being a dick.

But yeah.  :goty

thisismyusername

« Reply #43953 on: November 16, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi-rez-proved-we-spent-almost-a-year-hearing-pointless-complaints-about-switch-hardware.81431

Fucking Nintardian's are delusional :lol

I mean I like Paladins, but geez: It's not hard to understand why those would hit 60FPS than Overwatch and others.

You’re no fun.
Yeah, but tbf, his post read as completely serious to me, so I just wanted to clarify I wasn't being a dick.

But yeah.  :goty

That's ok. ;)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #43954 on: November 16, 2018, 03:12:20 PM »
Paladins literally goes as low as 378p on Switch.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #43955 on: November 16, 2018, 03:30:40 PM »
Clearly it #wontbeerased any time soon

Maybe CDPR use this opportunity to apologize for their Twitter bs.

EDIT:

fuck CDPR/CDP and GOG
https://www.resetera.com/posts/15060091

This guy shits on CDPR by making the same "transphobic" joke they made

:snoop

Jansen

« Reply #43956 on: November 16, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43957 on: November 16, 2018, 03:50:36 PM »
I for one am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 OT | a videogame made for platforms (READ OP)
MOD EDIT: Its okay to say you have bought the game but any downplaying the actions of a hate group or defending the transphobic bigotry of its creators will be actioned with severe repercussions

wsippel

« Reply #43958 on: November 16, 2018, 03:53:28 PM »
Why are they giving Bethesda any benefit of the doubt? The Fallout 76 noclip video with one of the programmers had him saying he was taking out stuff that still applied to silt striders from morrowind in the code.

Personally I prefer the jank if it’s the way to keep modding in. How many unreal engine 4 or id tech 6 games do you see with modding at a Bethesda games level?

Edit: also is that really opa-opa on RE?
Creation aka Gamebryo aka NetImmerse is a horribly outdated, buggy mess. From the fact that it still only supports heightmaps for terrain generation (which is why even small caves have loading screens) to the completely fucked up entity management (the engine assigns every new object an ID, but it never reclaims those IDs even after the objects are destroyed, which means the game will inevitably break once it runs out of IDs), there are lots of issues that are borderline unfixable. UE4 seems like the most obvious replacement, and if developers release a devkit, there's a ton modders can do - just check out the Steam workshop for Ark.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43959 on: November 16, 2018, 03:57:51 PM »
(the engine assigns every new object an ID, but it never reclaims those IDs even after the objects are destroyed, which means the game will inevitably break once it runs out of IDs)

Assuming UIDs are a signed INT, its pretty unlikely they'll run out UIDs.

thisismyusername

« Reply #43960 on: November 16, 2018, 04:06:03 PM »
The only good Gamebryo game is Catherine. Don't @ me.

As for modding: UE4 allows it (I mean you can technically just make shit through the engine and try to "graft" it onto games that don't support modding, per se), the problem is other middleware (Havok IIRC) that isn't licensed/able to be used by modders that prevents companies from allowing it, even if they use Unreal.

Frostbite Engine is moddable:

Problem is, EA's "ANT" animation systems and the like aren't licensed, to where Frostbite's editor will never be released. To where people have had to try to reverse engineer it (a la that BC2 video above) and do "Project Venice" (Oh wait that was DICE's internal codename for BF3), to allow mods and stuff like that on a "pirate" server (airquotes for something that technically is "illegal" but possible to use).

But yeah: There's nothing inherently stopping UE1-2-3-4 released games from doing mod tools beyond certain toolchains/middleware licenses.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:16:31 PM by thisismyusername »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #43961 on: November 16, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
Rocksmith is also pretty pretty cool @you

wsippel

« Reply #43963 on: November 16, 2018, 04:29:35 PM »
(the engine assigns every new object an ID, but it never reclaims those IDs even after the objects are destroyed, which means the game will inevitably break once it runs out of IDs)

I believe they are, and it does happen. Probably won't be an issue with the 64bit version, but it was absolutely a problem with the 32bit version. There was one prominent case with one of the Oblivion expansions (Knights of the Nine IIRC), which had a script that would loop constantly and get a new UID every iteration. That script alone would trigger an overflow after a few dozen hours - your game would break no matter what you did, even if you just loaded it up and stayed in the prison cell. As far as I'm aware, scripts are the main issue.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #43964 on: November 16, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Rocksmith is also pretty pretty cool @you

Civ 4  :rejoice

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #43965 on: November 16, 2018, 05:09:15 PM »

It's assumptions like this that led to Skyrim's PS3 problems. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #43966 on: November 16, 2018, 05:34:04 PM »

Problem is, EA's "ANT" animation systems and the like aren't licensed, to where Frostbite's editor will never be released. To where people have had to try to reverse engineer it (a la that BC2 video above) and do "Project Venice" (Oh wait that was DICE's internal codename for BF3), to allow mods and stuff like that on a "pirate" server (airquotes for something that technically is "illegal" but possible to use).
Reading between the lines about the BioWare and Visceral problems, along with some DICE admissions at GDC, the "Frostbite" that existed for BC2 and BF3 is definitely not the same "Frostbite" that they've pushed as a company wide "solution" to where even Madden is on it.

One reason is that very animation system problem. DICE wasn't making an engine for anyone else to use, they were making an engine to run Battlefield on the consoles, so it was fine to cobble stuff together that just barely works. Then EA said "everyone needs to be able to use this" and DICE was like "you serious?" The Mass Effect Andromeda team ran into the fact that Frostbite had no built in animation system, they assumed there was some powerful thing, not a recommended plugin.

There was a suggestion by DICE that they pulled what Valve did with Source a few years ago when they essentially tossed out the original engine and restarted development especially the planning, keeping the basics and the name, and that's what was handed out to the rest of EA. If you remember, in Source's case it was supposed to be super modular and you could hook anything into it, except that never worked, and they never put together a proper map editor, they hacked things together instead. That was why they had to basically toss it out, and they ported all the games to the new version. It even causes minor differences in Half-Life 2. You can download a "backport" mod to put the old engine in. The console versions also had minute differences because like the lighting model was different for Orange Box forward, but PC versions never had it implemented.

DICE has also more or less said they intend this "Frostbite" to eventually be able to support mods/user content/etc. That the old one was never going to allow it unless they did what they did in the end and rewrote half of it.

Mentioning Unreal bring up another funny point because you often see posts on GAF/ERA that are all like "ugh, Unreal" when they don't realize that a lot of release games will only run on a specific version of Unreal 3 or 4, you can quickly get something up running on the other versions of course but you'll still have to redo a lot of work, even if it's in UnrealScript depending on what version development started on. A number of UE3 games arguably shouldn't just be considered as running on UE3 considering they're more like running on an iterated engine that started with UE3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for example is running on a second hand version of what Gearbox had left over after Borderlands 2. IIRC, Battleborn is too. The main "Unreal tell" has been the texture fade-in, but everyone assumed it was the lighting or BALD SPACE MARINE CODE because there were only like one or two middleware solutions running on the consoles last gen for years. (Ironically, DICE being one of the companies to ignore that and use an unfinished lighting solution that Epic eventually adopted as a default. To where people for years would deny Mirror's Edge was on Unreal 3 instead of Frostbite.)

The ultimate example of this probably being Call of Duty where everyone has spent years going "it's just Quake 3" and many times they promoted how it's a NEW ENGINE, and people found that it still had the Q3A base for stuff like loading maps or sound effects SO IT DOESN'T COUNT. When you probably can't take much of anything from Infinite Warfare and drop it into the source released Q3 code and get anything to work let alone compile.

To bring it all together, it's also amusing that nobody complained about the fact that Titanfall 2 runs on Source like the endless complaints about the latest COD or Valve game "STILL running on" Q3/Source fill comment threads. (Although the most amusing thing is that neither Titanfall feels like it has the infamous "Source ceiling" effect. Even DOTA2 had it stick in the camera for a long time during beta.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:01:42 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #43967 on: November 16, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
id games releasing modding tools for their idTech games died the day they got bought out by Zenimax  :(
Pretty likely theres never going to be another idtech source code release either
there was some talk made that once licenses transfer off of the engine, Carmack included terms to release all his engines as source code moving forward, someone just needs to stop Tango Gameworks from using their derivative of it and id Tech 5 might be released then ... 4 took so long to be released because licenses were still using derivatives of it, all Zenimax companies coincidentally IIRC

similar jabber mentioned that the newer id engines look more like CryEngine than Carmack's work in terms of how they're organized, setup and assumptions made, etc...which makes sense considering who id hired to replace him

just don't tell Chris Roberts or Star Citizen will be announced to be using id Tech 6 and TOTALLY NOT CRYENGINE SO STOP SUING HIM CRYTEK
[close]

Creation aka Gamebryo aka NetImmerse
this renaming always made me wonder if all the "Gamebryo" whining regarding their games was misleading since Bethesda obviously started with an earlier version (NetImmerse) and other Gamebyro licenses never seemed to have similar issues, look at what Rockstar Vancouver managed with Bully: Scholarship Edition for example...or as mentioned Civ IV, or stuff like Defense Grid or Epic Mickey all avoided what seems more like Bethesda's internal jank development in stuff that you might assume was more hardcoded to the engine itself and unlikely to be significantly overhauled by the licenses

NEXON's recent games using it like Ghost in the Shell might not even be the same base engine considering that the original Gamebyro company went bankrupt years ago and sold its IP off to some Korean conglomerate...and IIRC, the "original original" company actually similarly went defunct before that and merged with someone else, but all of this well after Bethesda licensed NetImmerse...but before Gamebryo had its "peak" of releases using it around 2008-2009 (which is coincidentally when the company was going bankrupt and the main studio was shut down) and it was after that shift to Korea that the number of F2P games started using it (which was before the East/West Engine Divide stopped being an actual thing you could talk about)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:58:17 PM by benjipwns »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #43968 on: November 16, 2018, 05:42:20 PM »
 :nerds

Good read though
[close]
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #43969 on: November 16, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi-rez-proved-we-spent-almost-a-year-hearing-pointless-complaints-about-switch-hardware.81431

Wii delusion memories :heart

then Treyarch had to go and somehow port Call of Duty: Modern Warfare to it, keep it at 480p and 30fps, and show everyone just how big the gap really was along with providing significant evidence that the Wii might actually be less capable than the first Xbox (the denial and cognitive dissonance in that GAF thread back in the day :lawd)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43970 on: November 16, 2018, 06:14:15 PM »

Wii delusion memories :heart

then Treyarch had to go and somehow port Call of Duty: Modern Warfare to it, keep it at 480p and 30fps, and show everyone just how big the gap really was along with providing significant evidence that the Wii might actually be less capable than the first Xbox (the denial and cognitive dissonance in that GAF thread back in the day :lawd)

The Red Steel bullshots that looked like and Xbox 360 game are still real to me, dammit.  :'(
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #43971 on: November 16, 2018, 06:16:33 PM »
Not to defend Blizzard but the recent update they pushed which made everyone basically reinstall the game (about 20 gigs) could be preparing for something in the future like supporting Switch.

We don't know yet. It could be just something that eases the devs life by making the engine more flexible to new stuff added.
what

tbh with how optimized some stuff is I can see the switch running destiny or overwatch at a locked 30 for destiny, and 60 for ow.
it gonna be postage stamp destiny like the 3DO Doom or what

benjipwns

« Reply #43972 on: November 16, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
some game with dynamic resolution should let you do like that 3DO Doom, where it keeps the screen the same but just resizes the internal frame constantly

imagine this suddenly shrinking to 5% of the screen and back up constantly:

:delicious

thisismyusername

« Reply #43973 on: November 16, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »

Reading between the lines about the BioWare and Visceral problems, along with some DICE admissions at GDC, the "Frostbite" that existed for BC2 and BF3 is definitely not the same "Frostbite" that they've pushed as a company wide "solution" to where even Madden is on it.

One reason is that very animation system problem. DICE wasn't making an engine for anyone else to use, they were making an engine to run Battlefield on the consoles, so it was fine to cobble stuff together that just barely works. Then EA said "everyone needs to be able to use this" and DICE was like "you serious?" The Mass Effect Andromeda team ran into the fact that Frostbite had no built in animation system, they assumed there was some powerful thing, not a recommended plugin.

There was a suggestion by DICE that they pulled what Valve did with Source a few years ago when they essentially tossed out the original engine and restarted development especially the planning, keeping the basics and the name, and that's what was handed out to the rest of EA. If you remember, in Source's case it was supposed to be super modular and you could hook anything into it, except that never worked, and they never put together a proper map editor, they hacked things together instead. That was why they had to basically toss it out, and they ported all the games to the new version. It even causes minor differences in Half-Life 2. You can download a "backport" mod to put the old engine in. The console versions also had minute differences because like the lighting model was different for Orange Box forward, but PC versions never had it implemented.

DICE has also more or less said they intend this "Frostbite" to eventually be able to support mods/user content/etc. That the old one was never going to allow it unless they did what they did in the end and rewrote half of it.

Mentioning Unreal bring up another funny point because you often see posts on GAF/ERA that are all like "ugh, Unreal" when they don't realize that a lot of release games will only run on a specific version of Unreal 3 or 4, you can quickly get something up running on the other versions of course but you'll still have to redo a lot of work, even if it's in UnrealScript depending on what version development started on. A number of UE3 games arguably shouldn't just be considered as running on UE3 considering they're more like running on an iterated engine that started with UE3. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel for example is running on a second hand version of what Gearbox had left over after Borderlands 2. IIRC, Battleborn is too. The main "Unreal tell" has been the texture fade-in, but everyone assumed it was the lighting or BALD SPACE MARINE CODE because there were only like one or two middleware solutions running on the consoles last gen for years. (Ironically, DICE being one of the companies to ignore that and use an unfinished lighting solution that Epic eventually adopted as a default. To where people for years would deny Mirror's Edge was on Unreal 3 instead of Frostbite.)

The ultimate example of this probably being Call of Duty where everyone has spent years going "it's just Quake 3" and many times they promoted how it's a NEW ENGINE, and people found that it still had the Q3A base for stuff like loading maps or sound effects SO IT DOESN'T COUNT. When you probably can't take much of anything from Infinite Warfare and drop it into the source released Q3 code and get anything to work let alone compile.

To bring it all together, it's also amusing that nobody complained about the fact that Titanfall 2 runs on Source like the endless complaints about the latest COD or Valve game "STILL running on" Q3/Source fill comment threads. (Although the most amusing thing is that neither Titanfall feels like it has the infamous "Source ceiling" effect. Even DOTA2 had it stick in the camera for a long time during beta.)

I don't follow the development of the engine close-enough. So interesting that they rewrote it. I just know they were hyping up the ANT system that EA Sports made for BF3's inclusion. And since that's an internal-built middleware (so to speak) they can't license it out/show it to modders. Which is why mod-tools for Frostbite  have been a huge nothing-burger.

benjipwns

« Reply #43974 on: November 16, 2018, 07:38:24 PM »
It was never an engine that was supposed to be outside DICE, so EA's desire to have an engine to use company wide that they owned didn't exactly fit with what Frostbite was.

They actually ran into this same problem with Criterion's RenderWare and "next gen" RenderWare which they originally bought partially for this purpose. Which was why a bunch of EA games suddenly switched to Unreal 3 at the start of last gen.

DICE has talked about wanting to work back in mod support for a few years now at stuff like GDC, I think they've been a bit overwhelmed though at having to not only produce a game every year but also be the engine shop for all of EA.

Tiburon was resisting the engine swap because of their own internal animation system. I don't know if ANT or something else has been worked in now, it was just a few years ago that Frostbite's major complaint was it didn't have any flexible animation system, you had to find one or build one, especially if you were doing third person.

benjipwns

« Reply #43975 on: November 16, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
The small amount of stuff I read about Ubisoft indicates that their "engine shop" on Anvil/AnvilNext/etc. is actually well planned out and organized, unlike all these other companies where they suddenly decide "oh, id/DICE, we're now using your stuff for everyone, good luck and we're all counting on you" and that one key thing is that the engine team may have the power to say "no" to the game teams. So they don't get sidetracked spending a year building something for a game that then bombs and no other game will ever use.

Far Cry for whatever reason continues to operate with its own engine development. Though technology has been shared since they started the Scimitar/Anvil project. It's interesting how that series hasn't been folded in though.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #43976 on: November 16, 2018, 07:54:01 PM »
https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/11/nazi-salute-school-prom-photo-baraboo.html

How to Handle the Rising Tide of Hate in Schools
We shouldn’t give up on the boys in the viral Nazi-salute prom photo.

“It’s really important that they understand what happened, and all the circumstances around it,” says Jinnie Spiegler, the curriculum director at the Anti-Defamation League in New York City. It’s unlikely that these teens didn’t realize they were making a Nazi salute, but kids can have different levels of understanding; they may not always know the significance of the salute or that it is specifically anti-Semitic. Sometimes, a Nazi salute or a swastika is treated as “a general symbol for hate, and young people don’t even necessarily know what the origins of the symbol is and what it means and the impact that it has on people,” Spiegler says.

At the same time, it’s not a good idea to be overly punitive with kids who may not fully understand what they did, because that can make them feel marginalized and alienated—and research suggests that these kinds of feelings draw kids even more strongly towards hateful ideologies.

Ideally, Spiegler says, consequences should involve not only punishment but also education. “They need to understand the impact of what they did, and how other kids in that school feel,” she explains.

Slate unwilling to do the wise thing and brand the boys with a scarlet "R."
 :wag

I wish I still had thread making privileges.  Now I have to wait for the next racist children thread to bring up this article.

sigh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43977 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Epic Mickey all avoided what seems more like Bethesda's internal jank development
The Epic Mickey games ran arguably worse than the Bethesda games.

I remember playing Epic Mickey 2 on Wii U.
It hadn't seen such framerates in a 3D platform game since the Nintendo 64.

Skip to 8:50
https://youtu.be/BwOVptYQK5Y?t=534

:lol

At times the framerate literally dies and hits 0 and the game locks up for a second.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:07:11 PM by Nintex »
🤴

PogiJones

« Reply #43978 on: November 16, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »

There ya go, TIMU. Not sure what other pics I can supply at this point.

PogiJones

« Reply #43979 on: November 16, 2018, 08:09:46 PM »
The ironic thing is I've never played Dota or Dota 2.