Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  (Read 101456 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
« Reply #420 on: December 07, 2018, 02:28:25 AM »
John Cena?

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #422 on: December 07, 2018, 08:05:50 AM »

This works  :D

It seems that you have to keep doing it or the trick stops working, however- I lost to a new character CPU battle and when I went to a different menu, it stopped working.  Doing the 10 minute wait again...
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2018, 08:38:31 AM »
You have to quit out and go back in each time you unlock someone- probably didn't need to redo another 10 minute battle but whatever...this is pretty quick.

To summarize:

1. Create a Smash battle ruleset for 10 minutes. 
2. Do a two player battle.  You don't need to do anything here and can just let the controllers sit.
3. When the match finishes, you'll get a character battle against a new character.
4. Win or lose, hit the home button and close the software with X after the battle is over.
5. Go back into the game and create a new battle ruleset for 1 stock.
6. Play a 2P match and have one character lose (pick a stage with pitfalls like Mushroom Kingdom II)
7. You'll get a new CPU challenge match immediately after!
8. Repeat step 4 and go back into the game and keep doing this over and over again.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #424 on: December 07, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
didnt watch vid but I planned on just letting them unlock normally since i don't really care. is it excruciating? i haven't played a smash since Melee (or whatever the GC one was).

*edit* ^^ doesn't seem so bad, probably more fun to unlock with a group.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: December 07, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
Also, one 6 stock 1v1 is enough for it to reliably trigger.

This didn't work for me again after it happened the first time.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #426 on: December 07, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
didnt watch vid but I planned on just letting them unlock normally since i don't really care. is it excruciating? i haven't played a smash since Melee (or whatever the GC one was).

*edit* ^^ doesn't seem so bad, probably more fun to unlock with a group.

There's a shit-ton of characters and even the fastest method will still take several hours to get everyone. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #427 on: December 07, 2018, 12:36:40 PM »
Now the quick unlock trick isn't working.  ???
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #428 on: December 07, 2018, 12:49:04 PM »
Several hours? Sounds like nothing compared to Melee 🤷‍♀️

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #429 on: December 07, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »
Also, one 6 stock 1v1 is enough for it to reliably trigger.

This didn't work for me again after it happened the first time.
We were getting it every match with one or two exceptions, though we were playing without the express purpose of just getting it over for unlocks.

A friend of my brother's managed to get all the characters already.

Tried it again after restarting the whole system.  Got it once, and it's not happening again.  :dizzy
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #430 on: December 07, 2018, 04:46:11 PM »
Do you unlock by playing the single player mode or is it only versus matches?
^_^

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2018, 05:13:42 PM »
47 total characters so far. Getting there...

Doing something similar to the trick above but its working every time for me
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:17:57 PM by nachobro »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #432 on: December 07, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »
This world of light thing is pretty awesome. It seems to have much more going for it than the trailer showed.
The music in this video game  :delicious

Also, the graphics really stand out for me. Smash Bros. game were always pretty (Melee on the Cube, Brawl on the Wii) but with Smash Bros. Wii U it just looked like an up-ressed Wii-game there was nothing impressive about it even though the first Smash in HD should've been exciting. This game however looks incredibly clean and sharp on my 4K OLED and the new shaders mix the different styles very well together. They've also nailed the animations of all the characters I've unlocked so far
:rejoice

Just like with Mario and Zelda Nintendo has hit the ball out of the park with another one of their big games.

But.... Homerun Contest and Destroy the Targets DLC needs to happen.
The bag thing is even in the game in one of the test screens.  ???
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
I'm just going through Classic Mode with each char, lol.

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »
Literally played like 9 hours in a row yesterday
Havent done that for a game in a long long time.

My early picks for possibly overpowered characters are Mii Swordfighter and Young Link
they just have so many tools and options at their disposal its ridiculous.
Ive also been playin as R.O.B. online, who kicks ass.

if you are west coast add me and we can play tomorrow or somethin SW-4785-1111-3623
1v1 is pretty solid, get lag in some 4 player games though
萌え~

Cryo

« Reply #435 on: December 07, 2018, 08:52:34 PM »
squid kid and Simon are pretty fun to play

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #436 on: December 07, 2018, 09:59:22 PM »
King K.Rool is obviously the best addition and is a fucking powerhouse
püp

Cryo

« Reply #437 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:45 PM »
His win animation :rofl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: December 08, 2018, 12:57:24 AM »
Still can't figure out what's up with the game not doing character unlocks.  Determined that they stopped because I needed to go back and fight some of the characters I failed to beat to unlock, but after doing that, it stopped again after I unlocked a few more fighters.  Doesn't make any sense.
 ???
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #439 on: December 08, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »
The amount of music in this game is insane.

Tasty

« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2018, 02:30:26 AM »
King K.Rool is obviously the best addition and is a fucking powerhouse

Nah it's Richter AKA Jojo.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #441 on: December 08, 2018, 03:02:53 AM »
Well after unlocking all the characters, I can now say I'm pretty comfortable with the Pro Controller. :doge Feel good in this game after adjusting the controls a bit. Changing to L jump is feeling better too. I like having all the movement controls on one side of the pad.

Also lol

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #442 on: December 08, 2018, 03:28:17 AM »
ok this is goty off that alone :dead

Vizzys

• green hair connoisseur
« Reply #443 on: December 08, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »
So faster way to unlock characters I found is to go to smash, special smash, super sudden death, 1 stock. Win or lose u get a challenger. Close game then repeat
萌え~

Bebpo

« Reply #444 on: December 08, 2018, 05:36:44 AM »
I don't know how to play smash, but somehow I beat the single player in the Wii one and so I'm going through world of light in this and I dunno some of this stuff is rage inducing. Like I'm not particularly good at Smash and part of that is the series has always controlled really fucking weird to me even after 20 years. Feels like a bunch of the time I'm standing next to someone and I punch in the wrong direction and if I try to tap towards them to punch in the right direction I dash to the side. I also have trouble not-dashing when I want to just move around and trouble landing jump attacks. I get how the combat stuff works but the movement has always felt weirdly stiff and easy to input wrong commands.

Anyhow in world of light I'm doing fine most of the time but if it's an HP battle I usually find it fucking hard. Like the first fight against Bayonetta in HP battle where she keeps fucking sliding in your face and even when I block and counter she hits me during my recovery frames from countering wtf. That fight took me like an hour. If it wasn't an HP battle it'd probably be ok because I seem to do a lot better when it's just about knocking the other player out of the arena, but HP battles are brutal. Especially because the cpu always has more HP than you.

The other fight early on that took me like 30-40 mins and was controller throwing bullshit was fighting Lucerina + Shulk with DEF DOWN. Like 2 on 1 is already bullshit, but the DEF DOWN thing just makes it even worse. The CPU actually blocks and both being sword people they keep hitting me from range. I even tried turning it down to easy and it didn't do shit for that fight. Eventually after 30 mins of retries I finally managed to kill one of them and then I played careful and beat the other, but man this mode feels like it has crazy difficulty spikes. I do fights like this for 30 mins of retries and then I do a bunch of fights after and win no problem. Idk.

The game seems pretty nice and content-filled, my only complaint is the load times. Especially when you keep dying for 30-60 mins on the same fight in SP WHY DOES IT HAVE TO LOAD FOR A FEW SECONDS EACH TIME?? Like it makes no sense since it's just resetting it wtf. Otherwise yeah I just kinda hate the controls in Smash, but that's more it just not clicking with me.

Beezy

« Reply #445 on: December 08, 2018, 06:40:56 AM »
Bebpo, have you been completely ignoring the Spirit system? That's the only way I can see you having trouble with World of Light.

Tasty

« Reply #446 on: December 08, 2018, 07:27:48 AM »
@bork and guys

So Ultimate tracks your button presses. Two minute matches + button mashing seems to be the fastest way.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
Still can't figure out what's up with the game not doing character unlocks.  Determined that they stopped because I needed to go back and fight some of the characters I failed to beat to unlock, but after doing that, it stopped again after I unlocked a few more fighters.  Doesn't make any sense.
 ???
How many more do you need? You know that you can only rematch a few periodically, right?

Yeah and getting there- 60 unlocked.  That IGN video Tasty posted explains a lot- I was just letting characters sit there most of the time.

If you lost the new challenger battle, just quit out of the game right when you lose and go back in.  The battle will happen again after you do another match.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:12:25 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #448 on: December 08, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
So faster way to unlock characters I found is to go to smash, special smash, super sudden death, 1 stock. Win or lose u get a challenger. Close game then repeat

Been trying this and it's been working 100% of the time for me, getting me a new character every two or so minutes. Good shit.

Still going to go through Classic Mode with every char but I need everyone unlocked for a party later today. :lol

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #449 on: December 08, 2018, 01:32:55 PM »
i'm gonna need to watch some vids cause this just doesn't click for me. we had a bunch of people playing last night and while fun, no one could really understand wtf was going on (and we kept losing character challenges). the only way I can win is trolling with kirby, just floating and dropping...this can't be how it actually plays though.  :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #450 on: December 08, 2018, 01:38:02 PM »
So I tried in handheld mode and the analog feels completely different than the pro controller I was using last night? If I push left or right in handheld the character runs, but doesn’t dash, but on the pro controller whenever I’d try that the character would dash 90% of the time and it was really hard to not dash.

One thing I’ve not got about Smash ever is why they assign multiple movement commands to one input. Like there is a dedicated jump button so why does pressing UP jump too? This just makes me accidentally jump sometimes when doing an UP+special/smash attack. Why is dash/run both L/R when you could just make dash double tap LL or RR like every other fighting game. And now this has parries but they gotta be weird and it’s letting go of block instead of hitting block when the attack connects like every other fighter. It’s like Smash does it’s best to say throw all your muscle memory skills from real fighting games away because we’re gonna be different just because. It would also be nice if Smash had an actual playable tutorial to teach all the stuff.

As a single player game and being bad at smash I find this game pretty frustrating honestly. Probably lose like 1/3rd of the challenger battles too which is annoying for unlocks.

Tasty

« Reply #451 on: December 08, 2018, 02:03:27 PM »
What does the FGC say? "Git gud"? :thinking

Bebpo

« Reply #452 on: December 08, 2018, 02:05:15 PM »
What does the FGC say? "Git gud"? :thinking

:'(

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: December 08, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »

:dead
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #454 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
They went all out with those spirit fights.  :lol
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #455 on: December 08, 2018, 02:53:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

How does the spirit thing work? Like in this photo does it mean that the enemy has like 13,500 atk/hp and you have 1,695?

I get the rock/paper/scissors bit but otherwise no idea about how the spirit stuff works.

Beezy

« Reply #456 on: December 08, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »
lose challenger battles
:lol

(Image removed from quote.)

How does the spirit thing work? Like in this photo does it mean that the enemy has like 13,500 atk/hp and you have 1,695?

I get the rock/paper/scissors bit but otherwise no idea about how the spirit stuff works.
So you have been mostly ignoring the Spirit system like I thought. That's why you're struggling through World of Light. You have to level up your Spirits. The higher their level, the higher your attack/defense will be when you equip them. Fighting an enemy with a power level of 13,500 while you're only at like 3,000 will make the fight much more difficult.t

Tasty

« Reply #457 on: December 08, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
After a long day's work I finally have all the characters except the following:

- Mewtwo
- Greninja
- Dr. Mario
- Chrom
- Wolf
- Cloud
- Dark Pit
- Palutena
- Duck Hunt
- Ken

Hopefully these don't take more than the next hour to do...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:28:49 PM by Tasty Meat »

Bebpo

« Reply #458 on: December 08, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
What’s the go to controller for smash switch? If I wanted to have 3 people over and play 4p what is the ideal controller setup? Can you use GC controllers on switch?

Tasty

« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
What’s the go to controller for smash switch? If I wanted to have 3 people over and play 4p what is the ideal controller setup? Can you use GC controllers on switch?

Yes. You need the adapter though, I think it's $20.

Otherwise four Pro Controllers should suffice for a normal group of 4.

Bebpo

« Reply #460 on: December 08, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »
So people like the Switch Pro Controller for this game? Also when I was playing my B button on my pro controller started getting stuck down :| It's not that old and these pro controller ain't cheap. Gonna look and see if there's a self-fix for that. I had the same issue on the R1 button on my launch PS4 controller that I fixed watching a vid for that kinda sticking button stuff (aka wedge it off and clean it and grease it).

Also are there any alternative control schemes that might make it easier for someone new to Smash to get used to the movement? I saw someone on Era mentioned changing jump from Y to the left shoulder button. I was thinking maybe Smash controls would be more intuitive if I changed jump to B like a platformer and have A be smash attacks and Y be specials?

And one other things about the weird controls in Smash that I forgot to include in my last rant on them. So when I'm on a platform and I want to do a D+special or D+smash attack, I keep dropping down from the platform (and sometimes into pits and shit killing me). Can you not safely do D+special attacks on platforms you can go down through or something? How do you even go down from a platform? Just press D on it?

I really wish Smash with all it's billions of things have a fucking interactive playable tutorial like Arc Sys games and stuff. Smash is supposed to be this super mainstream game for everyone but it feels like if you weren't there playing it on N64/GC it's always been hard to get into. I played it at a few parties on N64/GC but never actually bought one and put a few hours into it until the Wii version (and I skipped the Wii U one, so this is only the 2nd Smash I've bought).

Tasty

« Reply #461 on: December 08, 2018, 04:59:04 PM »
For my controls, I have up = jump set to off, jump set to Y and grab set to X on the GC controller. On the Pro Controller I also have L mapped to jump, and X/Y flipped compared to my GC setup. I also have C stick set to tilt attacks and not Smashes but that's personal preference...

Most newbies don't have a problem with up = jump but it does limit your options.

Smash is just as easy to get into as it was in Melee. You're just getting old. :P

Bebpo

« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
Oh, I didn't know you could turn off up = jump. That will actually help me a lot.

Bebpo

« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Oh what's a tilt attack? It's like if you press F+A you get smash attack, but if you press F+A a little different you get a tilt attack? Why do they assign multiple things to one command in this series :(

Tasty

« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2018, 05:45:43 PM »
No Smash is A + max directional tilt at the same time, although you can turn this off too. Tilt attack would be any direction at any level of tilt + A.

Tilt attacks on the C stick are good because they do the direction + attack in one input.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2018, 05:47:54 PM »
For my controls, I have up = jump set to off, jump set to Y and grab set to X on the GC controller. On the Pro Controller I also have L mapped to jump, and X/Y flipped compared to my GC setup. I also have C stick set to tilt attacks and not Smashes but that's personal preference...

Most newbies don't have a problem with up = jump but it does limit your options.

Smash is just as easy to get into as it was in Melee. You're just getting old. :P

Melee and 64 are probably harder to get into because the inputs are less forgiving

Tasty

« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2018, 05:55:20 PM »

Melee and 64 are probably harder to get into because the inputs are less forgiving

I'd say 64 is the easiest just because the fighting system itself is a bit simpler, especially some of the inputs.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #467 on: December 08, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »
true although it does have z-cancelling (which most people don't use because nintendo didn't bother to tell anyone about it even tho it totally changes the game :lol)

Bebpo

« Reply #468 on: December 08, 2018, 06:02:36 PM »
Ok, I changed the controls to what you said Tasty and then I tried online and started just playing random matches with people and that was actually really helpful to start getting the hang of it. Got a few KOs each match and even won a 4p one with most of the kills (using Link right now). Online 4p is pretty fun! Probably the most fun I've had playing Smash.

Tasty

« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »
Unlocked all the characters. THE REAL FIGHT BEGINS NOW :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #470 on: December 08, 2018, 07:38:47 PM »
Is there a way to play online against some of y’all?

Bebpo

« Reply #471 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »
Also I'm still confused about the naming of attacks.

Directions/Neutral + A = standard attack
Flick direction + A (or charge it) = Smash attack = Tilt Attack (are Smash Attack and Tilt Attack the same thing?)
Directions/Neutral + B = special attack
Shield button = shield
Shield button + A = grab
Shield button + down = feint
Let go of shield button = can parry if right before attack hits
Flick left or right when shielding = dodge left or right, if you dodge towards an enemy you'll go through them and turn around mid-dodge to be facing them, back dodges do not change the direction you're facing

Analog left/right = walk/run
Hard analog/flick analog left/right = run, can be stopped with D, can do sliding attack in run
D on a platform = flip down off it

Final Smash = hit A in neutral when glowing

Does that cover all available general moves for characters?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2018, 09:28:35 PM »
neutral a = jab

run+a = dash attack

a+direction not at same time = tilt

a+direction at same time = smash

shield+down=spot dodge (brief invincibility)

on gc controller z is also grab. not sure about pro. push direction to throw. different directions=different throws

Bebpo

« Reply #473 on: December 08, 2018, 09:43:43 PM »
Wait, so you can assign the a+direction not at the same time / tilt attacks to instant easy pull offs on the right stick? I have the right stick on smash attacks which I thought were tilt attacks. Hmm, I might go for that because the tilt attacks are the only moves I have trouble pulling off regularly since sometimes it does the smash attack in that direction instead. That and dashing when I want to run are the two biggest mistakes I'm making. Turning off up for jump fixed that one for me.

Also with Mario sometimes I do a jumping attack and it does a double roundhouse kick and other times it does a shorter range smash punch. I've tried messing around with it and can't figure out what causes which one to come out?

So far I've only been using Mario/Link/Kirby. Haven't tried any other characters first. Want to get decent at playing using those three first. With Mario I feel like his up+b is his most useful attack except the delay at the end coming down, with Kirby I feel like it's his down+b transform move which seems great, and Link just seems really balanced with good reach some nice up+b/up+smash and l/r+smash attacks plus arrows/boomerang can be helpful and bomb occasionally is. I think I do the best with Link so far out of those 3.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #474 on: December 08, 2018, 11:08:20 PM »
I'm using pro controller, tap to jump off, ZL set to jump, Y set to special, tilts on right stick, and stick sensitivity on high. Stick sensitivity really made the entire game feel better, not sure why the default is medium.

archie4208

« Reply #475 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:42 PM »
The online is so fucking terrible.  I don't think I've had a single match yet that didn't have lag.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #477 on: December 09, 2018, 03:55:48 AM »
true although it does have z-cancelling (which most people don't use because nintendo didn't bother to tell anyone about it even tho it totally changes the game :lol)
remember me and RATM

this is your version in my head canon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #478 on: December 09, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »
I tried the pro controller. Had trouble jumping.
Busted out the GameCube controller

That's my Smash  :mynicca

Question, can other Switch games be played with the GameCube controller? Say, Super Mario Oddessey?  :rejoice
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™