Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate  (Read 101449 times)

Beezy

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
« Reply #600 on: January 31, 2019, 08:42:07 PM »
I didn't even know this was a thing. Time to start playing online more often.

Bebpo

« Reply #601 on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »
Taking a break from KH and getting back to this. Ran through classic mode with Marth and wtf that's a really accurate version of Dreadking Rathalos in there! Did not expect that. Does Monster Hunter even have a rep in the game?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #602 on: February 01, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
not googling at all I would say armor for mii fighter.  :lol

I haven't played this since the 2nd weekend either, although I did get the plant code. maybe will play some this weekend.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #603 on: February 02, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #604 on: February 13, 2019, 02:57:51 AM »
I really like playing as Piranha Plant for some reason haha, it's always satisfying to hit someone with the spike ball puffed at them.
Unlocked Ryu and tried him. Was cool. Surprised at how many moves they gave him! Also kinda crazy there's like every character's theme song from SF2 in the music.

I'm finding when I just wanna relax I turn Smash on and run another character through classic mode and then unlock a new character after. The spirit world thing isn't for me, but a quick run through classic mode is enough time to get the hang of a new character and learn their moves.

I even play a few matches online here and there and find it really fun. Heck, more fun than a lot of traditional fighting games online. I'm not particularly good at it but I still come in 1st a decent amount in 4p matches which is always satisfying. Even when I lose though I have fun and sometimes watching the final 2 people remaining play is pretty interesting to spectate and I learn a lot. Tonight there was a match where the last 2 characters were Sonic and King Dedede and man Dedede seemed way too OP broken. Sonic player was good but was like fighting uphill battle the entire time. Dedede hit hard with his hammer and pretty big range.

Anyhow, at this rate I may actually unlock everyone someday. Good game. Only downside is when I play online like every couple matches has one point where the match just freezes and connection waits for a few seconds then resumes. Netcode could definitely be better.

Bebpo

« Reply #605 on: February 18, 2019, 02:15:37 PM »
Getting closer to the end in unlocking. Have 59 unlocked so far. The difficulty level of the challengers has gotten to the point where I almost never expect to beat them on the first attempt anymore :| Sometimes I get lucky.

I'm mostly switching between classic mode runs and spirit board matches. Even with lvl.99 spirits I can barely beat any ACE 3-star spirit and I've yet to be able to beat a 4-star legend that has like 13-14k level.

I think I'm getting better at playing after like 20 hours, but there's still some basic stuff that eludes me. A lot of times when I get lifted in the air I'll keep getting fucked on my way down no matter what I do. What's the best way to get back safely to the platform after being hit up? I'm pretty much just using normal Link for fighting challengers/spirit board enemies because he seems the easiest and relying mostly on his dash + A leaping attack to knock sideways and his up + A 3-strike smash attack to hit up since both have good reach and damage.

Also when someone is hanging on the ledge what can you do as an attacker?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: February 18, 2019, 02:25:33 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/a2vciv/smash_ultimate_tips_for_newcomers/

14. Ledge Trump - Grab the ledge while the opponent is on the ledge. This will kick the opponent off of it and you can try to quickly punish them with a drop down, rising back air. (grab ledge, down, jump + back air)
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #607 on: February 21, 2019, 03:32:35 AM »
I just found out Smash has combos  :o

Was trying to figure out how to get Jigglypuff’s rest move to connect and came across combo vids with actual fighting game jump kick -> combo. Never knew that was a thing in smash. Thought the game was just footsie based with single hit moves.

I suck at jumping though so probably won’t be able to use them in a match. I can’t do that non-float jump without the new two jump buttons way but that means hitting a face button + trigger to just jump and it feels too weird. Wish you could assign short jump to just one button.

On the ledge thing Bork posted I don’t get how to grab the ledge without jumping off and trying to grab up onto it and the person moves off it by then? Also I don’t get when invincibility frames are when people are hit. Sometimes I can just run up and hit people on the ground off the platform but sometimes I can’t idk.

Still going through classic mode. Captain Falcon seemed really good with his quick down special slide kick that knocks people far.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #608 on: February 21, 2019, 07:45:04 AM »
I just found out Smash has combos  :o

:dizzy :dizzy :dead  :dizzy :dizzy
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #609 on: February 21, 2019, 09:02:54 AM »
for what its worth, Smash has very few "real" combos so it's fair that you never found that out. most combos don't work in real play because of a mechanic called SDI (smash directional influence) which lets you move the stick to alter your character's position in hitstun frames (aka the little freeze you get  after being hit by an attack). This lets people get out of multi-hit attacks and many combos.

also what controller are you using? if it's the pro you may want to train yourself to use L jumps, I've found that much easier. I just set both the L button and trigger to jump and it's much easier for me to both jump and use the shorthop shortcut.

Bebpo

« Reply #610 on: February 22, 2019, 09:29:36 PM »
Oh hey, actually unlocked everyone. Thought I was still missing three, but they are the mii fighters.

Still gotta finish going through classic mode to try everyone out. Tried Ice Climbers and they were really really hard to use!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #611 on: March 06, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #613 on: April 10, 2019, 11:15:32 PM »
Also Stage Builder was leaked or whatever.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #614 on: April 11, 2019, 04:12:02 AM »
I would be shocked if you could make anything worth a shit in stage builder. In Brawl it didnt have a purpose beyond making an item farming stage with the conveyor belts to get Music/Trophies to drop.

Who is going to want to play on generic platforms floating in nothingness over...actual locations from famous video games?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #615 on: April 16, 2019, 09:44:13 PM »
v3.0 update with Joker is out tomorrow!

ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2019, 10:04:37 PM »
stage builder  :o

dicks and boobie stages incoming  :pimp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #617 on: April 17, 2019, 06:20:20 AM »
I would be shocked if you could make anything worth a shit in stage builder. In Brawl it didnt have a purpose beyond making an item farming stage with the conveyor belts to get Music/Trophies to drop.

Who is going to want to play on generic platforms floating in nothingness over...actual locations from famous video games?

Sure but people will enjoy building them

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #618 on: April 17, 2019, 09:34:10 AM »

HELP
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #619 on: April 17, 2019, 09:41:09 AM »
Yo that Persona stage is hot.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #620 on: April 17, 2019, 12:58:57 PM »
Ok i just bought this, never played smash outside 5 min on the n64 or cube which I didnt like.

What to do? Where to start? There is online, classic and light world. Prettt confusing  :doge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #621 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
Light World is the "story mode" so i guess start there

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #622 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
Will it teach me how to play?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #623 on: April 17, 2019, 01:31:50 PM »
Yo that Persona stage is hot.

Music from P3, P4, and P5. 
:phil
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #624 on: April 17, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
Will it teach me how to play?
of course not, that would be too easy :lol

here's how to get to the different tutorials/how-to's:

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #625 on: April 17, 2019, 02:16:15 PM »
Thanks man, i just spent like 30 minutes figuring out what buttons do  :lol

It very confusing as a beginner cause it seems many buttons do the same thing.

Jump with directional, x and y  :doge
B special attacks
A normal attack
Right stick power attack
A pickup items

Can i disable jumping with the left stick? So confusing

Should watch some vids now.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #626 on: April 17, 2019, 02:17:53 PM »
Yep, in the section where you can create a name/profile you can customize your controls for that name and turn off tap jump (what they call jumping with the stick) or vibration or w/e.

personally i set jump to both the left button AND left trigger, because if you hit two jump buttons at once it's a shortcut for a "short hop" aka baby jump and it keeps all my movement options on the left side of the pad.

for tutorial video i recommend checking out IzawSmash on Youtube. He's got a few videos that that start at the absolute basics and then move up from there

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:27:02 PM by nachobro »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #627 on: April 17, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
Thanks a million

Tasty

« Reply #628 on: April 17, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »
I'd run through classic mode with characters you wanna try personally, but then again that's just how I learned Smash on 64 so dunno, maybe people today would like the story mode better.

I actually haven't touched World of Light outside of 5 mins... 90% done with classic mode (non-DLC) though.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #629 on: April 18, 2019, 01:40:51 AM »
Is there any real story or purpose to light mode?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #630 on: April 18, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
i've never actually touched it so i don't know. :lol you can unlock characters in it, or just play classic mode.

Tasty

« Reply #631 on: April 18, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
There's 5-6 really elaborate but short cutscenes to serve as the bare minimum for the story in World of Light. Sooooo kinda typical for a fighting game, just the way they went about it is totally different lol (typical for Smash and Nintendo.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: April 18, 2019, 01:19:54 PM »
Is there any real story or purpose to light mode?

If you like dumb CPU fights, sure.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #633 on: April 18, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »
Ugh i cant seem to disable stick jumping even though i turned it off

Like it works in the test environment but as soon as im in in training or the game the stick makes me jump again
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 03:04:56 PM by Premium Lager »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: April 18, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »

Like it works in the test environment but as soon as im in in training or the game the stick makes me jump again

Make sure you're picking the control profile you created after you select your character.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #635 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »
That's probably it. Make sure you click on "Player 1" or whatever you are using and pick your name otherwise your control scheme wont be tied to you. Also is useful cause it'll show your name above your character in game.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #636 on: April 18, 2019, 04:09:56 PM »

Make sure you're picking the control profile you created after you select your character.

:-*

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #638 on: April 19, 2019, 01:42:03 PM »
 :fbm

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #640 on: April 19, 2019, 02:24:32 PM »
Played like 25 online matches, best ive managed is coming in 3rd in a 4 player battle twice.

Damn the competition is brutal I don't think I can be as good as these people with years of experience.

26 fighters unlocked though

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #641 on: April 19, 2019, 02:34:56 PM »
they cheat!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #642 on: April 19, 2019, 02:43:15 PM »
I was hoping for matchmaking to help me play noobs, but I guess there is no noobs left so long after launch  :'(

Going to give it a few more hours but its pretty disheartening.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #643 on: April 20, 2019, 02:34:33 AM »
Got my first win  :-*

Samus vs Joker

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: April 22, 2019, 08:52:22 AM »
Top Smash Melee player Hungrybox got a crab thrown at him after winning a tournament.

https://twitter.com/coneyzz/status/1120116882160476166

https://twitter.com/maniadrone/status/1120150729379938304
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #646 on: April 22, 2019, 09:04:21 AM »
This is gonna backfire, now Hbox is gonna think he's the Rosa Parks of Puff players lol.

On the subject, I've always enjoyed and followed a lot of Smashers over the years including Hbox and Zero (and Armada), but these days I'm pretty much just cheering Leffen lol. (He's had a great character arc.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Him being a hot-looking anime villain has nothing to do with it.

[close]
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #647 on: April 22, 2019, 10:02:45 PM »
I popped in the game to try out Joker and did a run through his classic mode. They did a real nice job with him and his stage and music/costumes. Not surprising since every guest is really well done in these games, but yeah very cool. If the next one really is a Dragon Quest character and they do all this stuff for DQ, gonna be nice. I don't mind the wait between characters on the season pass if they put this much quality into them.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #648 on: April 23, 2019, 03:05:26 PM »
If they do a Dragon Quest character I hope it's just a slime
WDW

Bebpo

« Reply #649 on: April 23, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »
Or slime assist  :)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #650 on: April 24, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »
I won a team battle game today

i didnt knew it was team battle and tried to kill my teammate mr game and watch, in the end it was sudden deth with me and samus and i killed him with warios bike, only then i found out then mr game was with me, kind of figures since it seemed like we were tagging up on samus.. smh what a shameful win and gaming moment  :doge
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #651 on: May 09, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »
The DLC for this has been so much slower drip than I expected. :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #652 on: May 09, 2019, 02:46:44 PM »
Quality takes time!

Tasty

« Reply #653 on: May 09, 2019, 02:49:56 PM »
There's going to be more of a gap between release and DLC char #2 than between announcement and release lol

DLC char #5, coming 2023 right after Kingdom Hearts 4 :doge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #654 on: May 09, 2019, 05:44:28 PM »
Well it's not like people will stop playing Smash before then. :whatsthedeal
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #655 on: June 23, 2019, 12:52:53 PM »
https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019/jun/22/how-likely-google-theory-super-smash-bros-ultimate-after-e3-reveal-dragon-quest-hero-and-banjo-kazooie/

Some decent evidence backing up

Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy
[close]

being the last two characters. Not a bad set, and that last one would cause some waves too.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #656 on: June 23, 2019, 04:15:28 PM »
Another fucking sword user Jesus christ
püp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #657 on: June 23, 2019, 04:28:38 PM »
Lol, is Doomguy really a thing? You can't really believe that right
fat

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #658 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
This is gonna backfire, now Hbox is gonna think he's the Rosa Parks of Puff players lol.

On the subject, I've always enjoyed and followed a lot of Smashers over the years including Hbox and Zero (and Armada), but these days I'm pretty much just cheering Leffen lol. (He's had a great character arc.)

Him being a hot-looking anime villain has nothing to do with it.

[close]
[close]

I don't know if you keep up with competitive melee but it's been pretty  :whew lately. Wizzrobe won the supermajor two tourneys ago with Captain Falcon, and nobody had won one with him since 2005 or so, and then Axe won the most recent one with Pikachu, which has never happened before. I wouldn't be surprised if Amsa the Yoshi player won something big soon either. Kind of a shame that this is the year Melee isn't at EVO because the scene has never been more interesting in the time I've been watching it.

Tasty

« Reply #659 on: June 23, 2019, 09:13:51 PM »
Lol, is Doomguy really a thing? You can't really believe that right

/s/Doomguy/Banjo/Bayonetta/Cloud