Author Topic: Nothing is Constant Except Change: The Global Climate Thread  (Read 40890 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Nothing is Constant Except Change: The Global Climate Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2018, 09:15:40 PM »
It's not politically realistic that multiple governments would cooperate on reducing emissions. We need something politically feasible like a global sterilization regime.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
Yuropean proposes reviving fascism, shocking.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »
Using the bus more if possible.

This one is simply unfeasible in the US. Especially with Trump in office. We currently have infrastructure problems (Kentucky having water problems like Flint, notable), roads/water/etc. Public Transport simply isn't there for these rural communities, and this would require a top-to-bottom shift of funds from the military/etc. to this (and education/support for engineers/etc like that). But that's getting off topic.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:06 AM »
Yuropean proposes reviving fascism, shocking.

Do you see a future for humanity with infite growth? Snipping off your balls is real the future, mate.  :-*

Im not being completely serious, mostly tongue in cheeck but it quite interesting how attached people are to their instincts even when they are screaming doom and gloom for the world. You can't really go without hard choices. If not controlled birthrates then a decrease in living standards at the very least.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:16:48 AM by Nabbis »

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2018, 05:29:17 AM »
controlled birthrates doesn't even solve the actual problem which is the need to cut emissions drastically starting immediately

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:07 PM »
Socialize the loses, privatize the profits. :obama
dog

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 09:58:43 PM »
Can someone explain to me why I should be concerned about global warming? I'm only worried about mass extinction chain reactions and systemic crop failures due to crop monocultures.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 10:09:51 PM »
Can someone explain to me why I should be concerned about global warming? I'm only worried about mass extinction chain reactions and systemic crop failures due to crop monocultures.

This is a good starting point.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 08:49:22 AM by chronovore »

BisMarckie

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
We’re all irreversibly fucked aren’t we?

There’s no way in hell all of humanity is going to turn on a dime and do what’s necessary to stop an environmental collapse.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2018, 12:56:08 PM »

Under the extant liberal international order? Yup.

Looking forward to politics in my old age being about things like "We have to enact tax credits to encourage the few owners of America's remaining stretches of arable land to grow food for domestic consumption because they're cash cropping" or "How far out should our shoot to kill lines be in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans?"

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2018, 04:03:41 PM »
Welp, time for me to start stockpiling weapons, ammo, food, and water for my compound/fortress up in Alaska.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:35 PM »
how are you gonna buy supplies with the IRS breathing down your neck?  :doge

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »

There’s no way in hell all of humanity is going to turn on a dime and do what’s necessary to stop an environmental collapse.

Nah. Many will die but humanity is not fucked unless we make this place into Venus. I think by the point of a 3.5c we will probably already adapt environmentally friendly societies and can begin a slow reverse of the process.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:00 PM »

To be fair these environmental collapseionists have been talking about the polar caps melting, sahara mud slides, nuclear winter and peak oil for decades and have been consistently wrong.
They could be right this one time but humans have always adapted to their environment. Also if you like Elon's Tweets you get to join him to escape to the Mars base.

There's too many humans on this planet. That is the real problem that we will have to address someday.
I mean, you can eat all the tofu and install how many solar panels you like. If Earth's population keeps growing you won't change a goddamn thing.
🤴

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
Mars is going to be its own unique kind of hell.

I’ll stick to Earth i.e. the hell I’m already familiar with.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2018, 04:43:51 PM »
I was able to scrounge up $3,000 and write them a check.

Don’t ask me how though. :goty

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #79 on: October 11, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
Don't worry, TVC has been sharing the screen grabs he took. 

Kara

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2018, 01:49:40 AM »
Looking forward to politics in my old age being about things like "We have to enact tax credits to encourage the few owners of America's remaining stretches of arable land to grow food for domestic consumption because they're cash cropping" or "How far out should our shoot to kill lines be in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans?"

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1050813229008674816

thisismyusername

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »

Better yet, how is he going to live in Alaska when we all know the eternal darkness would screw with his mental health.

I was able to scrounge up $3,000 and write them a check.

Don’t ask me how though. :goty

Shit, if I knew you were selling your ass for $1,000 a pop... :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1050813229008674816

God Republicans are irredeemably fucked in the head.

shosta

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
Y-yeah, Republicans...
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/10/un-says-climate-genocide-coming-but-its-worse-than-that.html

I agree about the project being greater than or equal to the scale of U.S. mobilization during the Second World War. I'm pessimistic about that coming to pass because the U.S. and PRC justify their respective regimes domestically with "but we give you cheap stuff" (Not in an explicit, de jure sense, obviously.) and that's not compatible with doing something about the problem. Revolution in either country seems difficult, let alone concurrently and cooperatively.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »
The biggest problem the planet faces is not global warming. Global warming is not the cause of global warming.
The cause is the ever expanding population of the world.

In the old days some disease would kill have a continent.
Mother nature would clean house every few decades. However, modern medicine has prevented death on a large scale through diseases.
What's more, areas of the world less equipped to deal with diseases are helped by the more prosperous parts.
When we save a million children we create another potentially million vehicles on the road and a million more carbon footprints.

The other 'thing' that would wipe out enough humans so that humanity itself wouldn't become a problem is warfare. Again in WW1 and 2 millions died.
Sure a baby boom happened also afterwards but for the most part they were giant massacres that killed a huge chunk of the populations of some countries.

The only way to combat global warming is simple.
We'd need to enact one or two child policies and decide to not treat diseases that kill millions every year.
If for example, cancer was cured. I'd have 8 more family members right now. Now extrapolate that to other diseases we've 'cured' over the years.
🤴

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
I have an apartment close to the coast, should I be selling this bitch at its peak before prices crumble in the next few years or the apartment is underwater in 20?

thisismyusername

« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2018, 12:53:20 AM »
I have an apartment close to the coast, should I be selling this bitch at its peak before prices crumble in the next few years or the apartment is underwater in 20?

If you have to ask, then clearly no.

shosta

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2018, 11:23:44 AM »
Ok, it's time to leper Nintex.
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2018, 11:34:02 PM »
I'm only worried about mass extinction chain reactions and systemic crop failures due to crop monocultures.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/10/15/hyperalarming-study-shows-massive-insect-loss/
每天生气

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2018, 03:03:00 AM »
It just snowed in October. Global warming is a scam convince me otherwise
dur

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Favorite thing about that Nintex post is how he spends multiple paragraphs and gives several examples to explain "lower morbidity has led to a higher population" like it's this really difficult, complex idea that he has just come up with.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
I'm really considering..... should I start selling my apartment on the coast? They're redoing the seawall which is going to cost everyone an extra 1-2k for the year which is fucking crazy

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »

If you have to ask, then clearly no.

Funky motherfuckers will not be told to go.

shosta

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
This is a good starting point.
ok I read this and it was pretty bad
I am now Woody Allen
每天生气

Raist

« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2018, 03:53:08 PM »
Fossilized crinoids, marine invertebrates that lived during the Permian Period, found in western Australia.

250 million years ago, Australia was already nightmare fuel central. Nice.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2018, 05:52:08 PM »
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2018, 11:13:58 AM »
The Trump Administration Pitched Coal at a Climate Change Conference

The United Nations climate change conference underway here in Poland could play a critical role in the fight to stem greenhouse gas emissions and keep temperatures from rising to unsafe levels.

The Trump Administration showed up to pitch fossil fuels. In a closely watched event Monday on the sidelines of official negotiations, U.S. officials touted natural gas and argued in support of coal’s place in the electricity mix.

“It is important to the overall climate discussion that we consider what’s realistic and pragmatic,” P. Wells Griffith, special assistant to the president for international energy and environment, told the crowd “Energy innovation and fossil fuels will continue to play a leading role.”

Coal, of course, contributes more to greenhouse gases on a unit-per-unit basis than any other electricity source and reducing its role is considered a top priority for scientists who want to address global warming. And climate scientists, along with governments in the vast majority of countries, agree that now is the time to sound the alarm on climate change.
___

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2018, 05:19:07 PM »
bububu clean coal!
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »
Nat Clean Coal  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

agrajag

« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2019, 07:33:44 AM »
we're fucked fam

Raist

« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2019, 04:58:51 PM »
Akshually, in proper real units for grown ups, 20 degrees is -7 degrees.

Climate change is a lie, Alaska is cooling down.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:doge :-\
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #107 on: May 01, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »

Why doesn't anyone ever attribute sea level rise with a shitload of more rain?
©ZH

Kara

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:04 AM »

living on a shithole planet with half earth gravity where your bone density will be fucked in a few months and you spend trillions to keep a small population alive and mine ice water to survive :nope

isn't the reasoning for the mars colony bros like musk that we need a small backup to eventually repopulate earth in case we annihilate ourselves via nuclear sudoku or get asteroided etc? even if we melt all the ice and continue onward, earth will be a relative paradise compared to the wasteland of mars.
the whole "we need to find another planet" thing because we're making our extremely hospitable planet relatively less hospitable, but still very much livable relative to anything else remotely feasible in our near vicinity is just dumb.

as far as earth ghg's, im no climate skeptic. clearly climate change is going to fuck a lot of people in the near future, but we're quickly getting to the point where carbon capture, and emission reduction policy is positioned to start being somewhat effective. we'll see what sort of timeline or if there will be enough buy in for the required government investment around the world in this future, but the technology is at least plausible, and over the next century CO2 emitting industry will slow down significantly.

youtubers save the world maths:
"in 2017 the world emitted 32.5 gigatons of c02, if this technology were built at a scale to suck all of this out every year at $93 - $232 per tonne x 32.5 gigatons = $3 - $7.5 Trillion annually"
Global gdp is over 80 trillion.

https://carbonengineering.com/

https://www.globalccsinstitute.com/news-media/insights/9109/

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/2/2019/02/SR15_Chapter2_Low_Res.pdf

Still a big maybe, but even the officials are at least acknowledging there is a possibility of greater technological intervention beyond what is currently theorised to reduce carbon emissions alongside efficiency/low energy and reduction efforts.

IAMs (Integrated assessment models; models of how humans/society affect the natural world) mostly incorporate afforestation and bioenergy
with carbon capture and storage (BECCS) and only in few cases also
include direct air capture with CCS (DACCS) (Chen and Tavoni, 2013;
Marcucci et al., 2017; Strefler et al., 2018b)....

However, there
are a few potentially disruptive technologies that are typically not yet
well covered in IAMs and that have the potential to alter the shape of
mitigation pathways beyond the ranges in the IAM-based literature.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 03:15:48 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

Kara

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2019, 08:52:28 PM »
Hi

Raist

« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2019, 12:46:58 AM »

living on a shithole planet with half earth gravity where your bone density will be fucked in a few months and you spend trillions to keep a small population alive and mine ice water to survive :nope

isn't the reasoning for the mars colony bros like musk that we need a small backup to eventually repopulate earth in case we annihilate ourselves via nuclear sudoku or get asteroided etc? even if we melt all the ice and continue onward, earth will be a relative paradise compared to the wasteland of mars.
the whole "we need to find another planet" thing because we're making our extremely hospitable planet relatively less hospitable, but still very much livable relative to anything else remotely feasible in our near vicinity is just dumb.

as far as earth ghg's, im no climate skeptic. clearly climate change is going to fuck a lot of people in the near future, but we're quickly getting to the point where carbon capture, and emission reduction policy is positioned to start being somewhat effective. we'll see what sort of timeline or if there will be enough buy in for the required government investment around the world in this future, but the technology is at least plausible, and over the next century CO2 emitting industry will slow down significantly.

youtubers save the world maths:
"in 2017 the world emitted 32.5 gigatons of c02, if this technology were built at a scale to suck all of this out every year at $93 - $232 per tonne x 32.5 gigatons = $3 - $7.5 Trillion annually"
Global gdp is over 80 trillion.

https://carbonengineering.com/

https://www.globalccsinstitute.com/news-media/insights/9109/

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/sites/2/2019/02/SR15_Chapter2_Low_Res.pdf

Still a big maybe, but even the officials are at least acknowledging there is a possibility of greater technological intervention beyond what is currently theorised to reduce carbon emissions alongside efficiency/low energy and reduction efforts.

IAMs (Integrated assessment models; models of how humans/society affect the natural world) mostly incorporate afforestation and bioenergy
with carbon capture and storage (BECCS) and only in few cases also
include direct air capture with CCS (DACCS) (Chen and Tavoni, 2013;
Marcucci et al., 2017; Strefler et al., 2018b)....

However, there
are a few potentially disruptive technologies that are typically not yet
well covered in IAMs and that have the potential to alter the shape of
mitigation pathways beyond the ranges in the IAM-based literature.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2019, 07:40:10 AM »
Hubert Védrine (a former French foreign affairs minister from Mitterrand's galaxy and a policy wonk) basically hold that "écoligisation" of policy is a foregone conclusion, basically that it will become a major axis of any public policy across all parties. Not exactly a shocking insight but speculating that next step allows to try to already hash out some of the issues with that. He's expecting some political divides over the question of how "authoritarian" (state driven) the Green transition should be conducted and some bouts of public panic over the matter in democracies putting pressure on governments.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Kara

« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2019, 01:36:47 AM »
This is 100% going to get weaponized against the economic periphery and semi-periphery, isn't it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/climate/moodys-ratings-climate-change-data.html