Author Topic: Nothing is Constant Except Change: The Global Climate Thread  (Read 40886 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: Nothing is Constant Except Change: The Global Climate Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
Being able to witness the end of the world in my lifetime :rejoice it's a horrible kind of privilege, but a privilege no doubt.

Nope, we'll be dead from food shortages or catastrophic weather.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2019, 11:13:33 PM »
Cool (but warming?) article from last year about efforts in 1979-1989 to draw attention and how basically everybody said "yeah, we'll be dead then anyway" and kiboshed a wide variety of plans including unexpected people like Exxon and Republicans (including Reaganites) even ones that had basically no opposition like "let coal be naturally replaced" as people focused on stuff like ozone or whatever instead:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/01/magazine/climate-change-losing-earth.html

Probably old news, but since it was a new article to me and I don't think was posted in the thread thought I'd share it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:31:10 PM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2019, 01:55:59 AM »
benji you said the climate models were bad

benjipwns

« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2019, 02:25:09 AM »
It is still an interesting article and history. The GOP using the subject as part of a nuclear push is amusing. I also did not know that H. W. Bush had attacked Dukakis for ignoring global warming in favor of increasing coal production. John Sununu may have single handedly defeated a carbon dioxide treaty in 1989 along with getting David Souter appointed to the Supreme Court and convincing Bush to go back on the "no new taxes" pledge. That's gotta be some kind of record in major campaign promises reversed for a single Chief of Staff who had to resign in disgrace before the term was over. Not to mention how he got himself into the position in the first place.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2019, 02:26:31 AM »
so are the climate models bad or no

benjipwns

« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2019, 02:43:32 AM »
It matters not now.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
most of these democrat platforms are switch to 100% solar and wind
do people in general feel that is feasible or that it fails to include other necessities like in example dramatic usage pullback?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #188 on: September 23, 2019, 12:59:03 AM »
I dunno but a lot of the discussion on this ignores the fact that the private sector pressed 7 to be taken off of nuclear's call list, and calls to "be realistic" about it wind up sneaking their plea for massive subsidies in the seventh paragraph.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
https://twitter.com/LegendaryEnergy/status/1175572093003431936

The issue we actually did something about is being alleviated. :pika

This guy is deeply confused.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:49:52 PM by Rufus »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2019, 07:11:54 PM »
it's certainly an... interesting series of tweets, with almost 60k likes though it seems like it resonates with enough people to merit note

does mesh with my distaste for the doomsday lean, stuff like that is always around and will only be right in a broken-clock-right-twice-a-day sense, but if it works it works I guess?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
Ban Liverpool
©@©™

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #195 on: October 15, 2019, 04:54:39 PM »
I wonder what Dr Bush’s Rx for Healthcare was
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
The governor of the Bank of England has warned that the global financial system is backing carbon-producing projects that will raise the temperature of the planet by over 4C – more than double the pledge to limit increases to well below 2C contained in the Paris Agreement.

In a stark warning over global heating, Mark Carney said the multitrillion-dollar international capital markets – where companies raise funds by selling shares and bonds to investors – are financing activities that would lift global temperatures to more than 4C above pre-industrial levels.

World leaders agreed in the Paris climate accords to keep the temperature rise this century well below 2C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the rise to 1.5C.

But in a stark illustration of the scale of the decarbonisation challenge facing the world economy, Carney suggested companies had already secured financing from investors in the global capital markets – worth $85tn (Ł67.2tn) for stocks and $100tn for bonds – that will keep the world on a trajectory consistent with catastrophic global heating.
just a reminder... ruin or revolution...
每天生气

Occam

« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2019, 03:18:25 AM »
Trump Serves Notice to Quit Paris Climate Agreement

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/climate/trump-paris-agreement-climate.html

Effective 4 November 2020 (after the election).

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Occam

« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/business/status/1200078223037673472

Exactly what I've been saying, seems at least in the scientific community reason prevails.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=44608.msg2624242#msg2624242
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 04:40:24 PM by Occam »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/Europarl_EN/status/1200079023554121728

The EU has declared a Climate Emergency.

Time to cut off those French farm subsidies  8)
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2019, 05:45:45 PM »
"By educating young girls about reproductive options."

Really tackling the root of the problem here. :itagaki

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2019, 06:01:53 PM »
Just put chemicals in the drinking water of large overcrowded urban areas and ban the import and export of bottled water.

It won't hurt wildlife because there is almost none in urban areas.
Artificially preserved human habitats that depend on imported drinking water will cease to exist.

You starve millions to save billions or you wait until it is too late to control the population growth and everyone dies :idont
We're literally 100 years too late to stop this trend in any other meaningful way.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2019, 06:06:26 PM »
these takes :jeb

I can't get on board with this, far as I can muster is encouraging all nations to aim to keep population growth at ~replacement rate :goty2

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2019, 06:10:09 PM »
It is pretty clear now that Elon Musk only intends to save a lucky few from the coming disaster with his bulletproof trucks and we won't make it Mars in time.
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2019, 06:18:24 PM »
less people = less environmental impact true, but it's always some other poor bastard's job to bite it for that cause

I like how the average US/EU/AUS citizen uses 95000x the resources of your typical Ugandan but the solution will be 'population control'

shhh... don't mention Chinese industry is outsourcing pollution and not just jobs to an exploitation favourable environment to the Euro's with their supposed enviro progress

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #207 on: November 29, 2019, 01:29:38 AM »
We can start by getting rid of the dutch. What are they good for, anyway.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #208 on: November 29, 2019, 02:37:23 AM »

How many Dutch here anyway, three atleast? They seem weirdly over-represented here.

jorma

« Reply #209 on: November 29, 2019, 07:08:48 AM »

How many Dutch here anyway, three atleast? They seem weirdly over-represented here.

i think it just looks that way because germans, spanish and frenchies are more likely to seek out online forums in their respective language.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2019, 07:57:19 AM »
I like how the average US/EU/AUS citizen uses 95000x the resources of your typical Ugandan but the solution will be 'population control'. We're fucked lol

Don’t worry about Uganda, Esch. I’ll take care of them once I have my Cybertruck.
serge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2019, 01:49:02 PM »
Google siswet, brah.  ::) :nsfw 

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #212 on: December 14, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »

Exactly what I've been saying, seems at least in the scientific community reason prevails.

You also said we should declare war on Brazil--something incredibly degrading to the environment--to stop the intentional burning of the Amazon by Brazilians.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #213 on: December 14, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »

You also said we should declare war on Brazil--something incredibly degrading to the environment--to stop the intentional burning of the Amazon by Brazilians.

Well, now we have both halves of his foreign policy re: Brazil. He can't possibly be German now that I think about it to nurse a grievance so deep and cutting.

Raist

« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2019, 04:00:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1205959214763511808

:beli no takesies backsies!

French has a similar idiom, "avoir/ętre le dos au mur" - literally means to have one's / be with one's back to the wall, meaning you have to face / address something.

Is that not a thing in english, or have you delicate little things erased it because it's not PC or something?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #215 on: December 15, 2019, 05:29:51 AM »
English has a ton of idioms based on walls*. It might be why she did a straight translation from Swedish, besides the fact that European languages share a bunch of idioms.

Saying "push" instead of "put" would have avoided any misunderstandings, but it's understandable why she didn't. Those who don't despise her or are out for boomer scalps themselves probably read it that way without her explanation. :yeshrug

* https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/wall

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #216 on: December 15, 2019, 09:41:59 AM »

French has a similar idiom, "avoir/ętre le dos au mur" - literally means to have one's / be with one's back to the wall, meaning you have to face / address something.

Is that not a thing in english, or have you delicate little things erased it because it's not PC or something?

Quite the opposite actually, in English putting someone against the wall means having them face execution by firing squad
WDW

bdoughty

« Reply #217 on: December 15, 2019, 10:41:52 AM »
Doubly so in Utah where the firing squad is still legal and people on death row used to have a choice. If you picked firing squad, you get firing squad.  It is an alternate method now as it is in Mississippi and Oklahoma.

https://kutv.com/news/local/court-denies-death-row-inmates-appeal-to-be-executed-by-firing-squad

Snowing the next few days here in Texas. Also snowed here in October. The climate changes quickly here in the Panhandle.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »

"back against the wall" is a thing in English along with other wall sayings, but Yeti covered things perfectly
also helps people want to be extra obtuse

Raist

« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
I guess it's just another case of "We can't be arsed to learn any foreign language :hmph but DON'T YOU DARE not speak perfect english :rage "

Raist

« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2019, 05:52:01 PM »
It might be why she did a straight translation from Swedish, besides the fact that European languages share a bunch of idioms.

Swedish and English are both germanic languages :bolo

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »
It might be why she did a straight translation from Swedish, besides the fact that European languages share a bunch of idioms.

Swedish and English are both germanic languages :bolo
I wrote Germanic initially. I don't have data either way, so I cast a broader net to be safe. :yeshrug

bdoughty

« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2019, 09:28:39 PM »
I guess it's just another case of "We can't be arsed to learn any foreign language :hmph but DON'T YOU DARE not speak perfect english :rage "

If you are suffering from a hate-boner for America that has lasted more than 4 months after being banned by resetera, please see a doctor. 

Edit: I forgot. Google translate to the rescue!

Om du lider av en hat-boner för Amerika som har varat mer än fyra mĺnader efter att ha förbjudits av resetera, vänligen kontakta en läkare.

如果您遭受了美国的仇恨之情,而这种疾病在被resetera禁止后已经持续了超过4个月,请去看医生。

あなたがアメリカの憎悪に苦しんでおり、それがリセットセラによって禁止されてから4ヶ月以上続いた場合、医師に相談してください。

Si sufre de una odio-odio por América que ha durado más de 4 meses después de haber sido prohibido por resetera, consulte a un médico.

Если вы страдаете от разжигания ненависти к Америке, которое длилось более 4 месяцев после запрета ресетерами, обратитесь к врачу.

Ma tha thu a ’fulang le grŕin-fuath airson Ameireagaidh a mhaireas barrachd air 4 měosan ŕs deidh dhut a bhith air a thoirmeasg le resetera, feuch dotair fhaicinn.

Si vous souffrez d'une haine-boner pour l'Amérique qui a duré plus de 4 mois aprčs avoir été interdite par resetera, veuillez consulter un médecin.

Wenn Sie unter einem Hassboner für Amerika leiden, der mehr als 4 Monate nach dem Verbot durch resetera gedauert hat, suchen Sie bitte einen Arzt auf.

Os ydych chi'n dioddef casineb cas yn America sydd wedi para mwy na 4 mis ar ôl cael eich gwahardd gan resetera, ewch i weld meddyg.

Se si soffre di un disodio per l'America che dura da piů di 4 mesi dopo essere stato bandito da resetera, consultare un medico.

Resetera tarafından yasaklandıktan sonra 4 aydan fazla süren Amerika için nefret dolu bir kemikten muzdaripseniz, lütfen bir doktora görünün.

اگر از آمریكایی ناشی از نفرت برای آمریكا رنج می برید كه بیش از 4 ماه پس از ممنوعیت تحریم باقیمانده است ، لطفاً به پزشك مراجعه كنید.

Uma uhlushwa i-boner yenzondo yaseMelika ehlala izinyanga ezingaphezu kwezine ngemuva kokuvinjelwa yi-resetera, sicela ubheke udokotela.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 09:36:38 PM by bdoughty »

Raist

« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2019, 02:57:33 AM »
That applies to anglophones in general, no just muhrica, you twat :bolo

And just FYI I never had an account there :lol

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2019, 03:12:46 AM »
Ok, Frenchy  ::)
Margs

Occam

« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2019, 05:30:11 PM »
Apparently the tipping point has been reached, meaning the green lung of our planet is basically beyond recovery.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/top-scientists-warn-of-an-amazon-tipping-point/2019/12/20/9c9be954-233e-11ea-bed5-880264cc91a9_story.html

Good thing the global community didn't step up and take any drastic steps like overthrow the science- and reality-denying, quasi-fascist government responsible for this very predictable development and/or send UN troops to protect the remaining Amazon rain forest for all of humanity, because that would have been wrong.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 05:55:56 PM by Occam »

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2019, 06:08:32 PM »
Occam  :gun poor people living in slums

Occam

« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2019, 06:14:34 PM »
Right. Anyway, they get to lead long and healthy lives now, like the rest of us.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2019, 07:21:01 PM »
Here's a sort of realtime tracker of babies being born
https://neal.fun/baby-map/

Reducing emissions by a percentage point or two is not going to make a dent.

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #229 on: December 21, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
Ironically there's nothing in history that kills people faster than fucking up their environment
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #230 on: December 21, 2019, 07:29:55 PM »
occam really is an autist at a level we haven't seen for a while

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
Here's a sort of realtime tracker of babies being born
https://neal.fun/baby-map/

Reducing emissions by a percentage point or two is not going to make a dent.

The Netherlands, with a population under 18 million, produces more CO2 than The Philippines (pop 100 million), Nigeria (200 million), or Bangladesh (161 million).

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2019, 07:46:34 PM »
Fortunately Nintex will be underwater soon enough :aah

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2019, 07:47:58 PM »
occam really is an autist at a level we haven't seen for a while

It's the good kind atleast, in that it's entertaining and not a potential threat to people unlike some other posters.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
We're already at a 23% reduction since the 1990's and will soon hit the 25% reduction target.

The challenge for our country has always been its size.
Going by Wikipedi aThe Phliipines is 300,000 km2 or 120,000 sq mi of which 0.62% is water. It's the worlds 5th largest country.

The Netherlands is just 41,543 km2 or 16,040 sq mi. Of which 18% is water. Plus there's the land that has already been designated as a 'flood area'.
Sits at rank 131 in terms of size.

It's all about averages, in Germany you have something like the Ruhr which is an industrial area with high emissions but there's also places with just forests or hills with 0 emissions.
I live along the coastline and on a sunny day I can see the UK in the distance across the North Sea. From this spot I can reach any of our borders within 3 hours or less.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #235 on: December 21, 2019, 07:52:44 PM »
being a densely populated country makes it easier to lower emissions, not harder

ya dumbfuck

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #236 on: December 21, 2019, 07:54:37 PM »
The challenge for our country has always been its size.

???

From this spot I can reach any of our borders within 3 hours or less.

:noooo

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #237 on: December 21, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »
We must invade the Netherlands and put a stop to their emission of greenhouse gases and garbage posters

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
We're already at a 23% reduction since the 1990's

btw this is a lie

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2019, 08:49:16 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50864569

he probably is referring to
The highest court in the Netherlands has upheld a ruling requiring the government to slash greenhouse gas emissions by at least 25% of 1990 levels by the end of next year.

The case was brought six years ago by the Urgenda environment group in a bid to force ministers to go well beyond EU targets.

However, the chances of the government reaching the target look slim.

By the end of 2018, emissions were down only 15% on 1990 levels.

Dutch environment researchers believe that levels could be cut by 23% by the end of 2020 but believe the reduction could be as low as 19%.

run that by everyone 1 year from now, dutchie