Author Topic: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)  (Read 90168 times)

paprikastaude

edit: video without the ign

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:51:02 AM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

Um... Yes please!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
FromSoft level design + freeroaming :rejoice :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:35:51 PM by Raist »

paprikastaude

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/8qqzzh/sekiro_full_miyazaki_interview/

The game design began with the keyword of Ninja, with a lot of stimulus coming from the Tenchu series

There was the option to make it a Tenchu game, but Tenchu was originally a series made by many different developers, each with their own characteristics. They thought they would end up imitating them in the end, so they gave up on that.

Shadows refers to the way of the Ninja, and Die Twice hinted at the revive system which is a gameplay feature. In addition, Die Twice also contains the message that players will be doing a lot of dying again.

In this game, when you met an enemy you won’t be immediately plunged into battle. The levels are designed to let you observe and think about how to take them on, and you can also “listen in” on enemies who aren’t in combat mode.

The ninja prosthetics are to support the combat parts of the game: shuriken, firecracker, hidden axe and other variations. Choose a few items before, then choose on-site t use them (probably like Tenchu?)

It’s an action adventure game, so the protagonist has growth tied to a different method than RPGs

Map design is close to DS1, with a few exceptions, it is a seamlessly connected 3-dimensional map.

The reason for leaving out online play, was to focus on making the fun of the single-player experience

The revive system consumes resources, being able to come back to life at will at the same location. Killing an enemy who think you are dead is also a tactic.

Svejk

This is looking like Tenchu: Extreme Combat Edition to me. 
Any word at all on whether you can fully complete levels in stealth?

paprikastaude

Re: Sekiro Shadows Die Twice (translator's note: Sekiro means ninja fuckery)
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 06:51:53 AM »

:whew

Svejk

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »
This is looking like some freak spawning if Tenchu and Otogi had a baby.  Oh man... Needing this kinda now.  :mouf

paprikastaude

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »
Ninja Gaiden walljumps :tocry

paprikastaude

El Babua

Game's looking pretty good, and is making experienced Souls players feel like noobs.

Shouldn't have watched those vids. Kinda superseded my hype for DMC 5 lol.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Looks like the God of War game I wanted. Fuck Jormungandr.

Himu

This isn’t a souls like is it?
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
It's a more mechanically involved version of it, it seems. No more stats. More traversal options.

Raist

This isn’t a souls like is it?

It absolutely is, just with a much more technical combat system, and more traversal freedom.

Svejk

Yeah, no souls to collect (or lose)...  just lots of death.

What's the deal with that Dragon Rot I finally read about... The more you die, the more the Dragon Rot takes hold over the world or something like that???  Not sure if I'm liking the sound of that, tbph.  ...but they say you can use dying to your advantage though... that has me curious on how that's used strategically.

Himu

That sounds good. I don’t like souls games.
IYKYK

Svejk

Apparently Activision isn't sending out review copies until the day before release.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 07:57:09 AM by Svejk »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Himu

Looks better than all Souls put together
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Oni puroresu powerslamming ninjas.

This is basically automatically a 13/10 game for Sho Nuff.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Oh fuck, must buy this now
ど助平

paprikastaude

Those grappling combos :leon

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
You lose half your cash and xp when you die (with no chance to retrieve it) so i'd say it's even worse in that sense.

But let's be honest, past the first few hours, losing souls in a Souls game isn't the real penalty, the real penalty is having to go back to the boss, if the gauntlet to it is particularly annoying, or doing the boss from scratch, if you had brough it down to just a few hits from death.
Which is more or less standard for most "hard" videogames, anyway.

Svejk

You lose half your cash and xp when you die (with no chance to retrieve it) so i'd say it's even worse in that sense.
say what?! oh fuck me  :dead
Souls games stress me out enough...  damn you, From!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Oh fuck, not sure if buying now
ど助平

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I really want to play this but I just know that I'm going to die to the first enemy like 20 times and get fucking frustrated within a half hour and never play it ever again

like dark souls

and bloodborne
püp

Coax

Quote from: Twinfinite
Unseen Aid: Upon death, there is a percentage chance that you won’t lose any of your money or skill progress. Usually when you die, you’ll lose half your skill progress and money. But if you trigger Unseen Aid, you keep everything. However, the more you die and resurrect, the worse the Dragon Rot disease becomes, and your Unseen Aid chances will go down.

Quote from: Gamespot
Unseen Aid has a relatively low chance of kicking in, though

:thinking

I'm probably fucked anyway :lol Still such a sucker for the setting and gameplay I'm likely to glean enjoyment from it.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Oni puroresu powerslamming ninjas.

This is basically automatically a 13/10 game for Sho Nuff.

THIS GAME LOOKS TOTALLY OKAY

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Am I the only one who thought of Scott Steiner with this description?

Quote from: Twinfinite
Unseen Aid: Upon death, there is a percentage chance that you won’t lose any of your money or skill progress. Usually when you die, you’ll lose half your skill progress and money. But if you trigger Unseen Aid, you keep everything. However, the more you die and resurrect, the worse the Dragon Rot disease becomes, and your Unseen Aid chances will go down.
\

ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
If you die too much, your percentage drastic goes down.
dog

Coax

Me a few weeks from now :doge

kingv

I really want to play this but I just know that I'm going to die to the first enemy like 20 times and get fucking frustrated within a half hour and never play it ever again

like dark souls

and bloodborne

These types of mechanics just really turn me off to games.

Nioh was the only souls like I could stomach, and I think it was because it was basically just single levels. Like it’s a discrete challenge, you pass it and move to the next one.

Also they always put a save point right by the boss.

paprikastaude

pretty sure Demon's was also levels.

bluemax

It was but they were ass.
NO

Raist

It was but they were ass.

mods pls

Raist

Himu

This is a must buy for me. Omfg.

I can do without DMCV but this bro, THIS. :gladbron
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

You gotta get DMC5 too.  It's too good.
:lawd
ど助平

Svejk

Whichever one goes on sale first for me.  :doge  I want bofum.

Himu

Show me footage of DMCV that isn’t one long cmv or someone doing a 100 hit combo against a flaccid already dead corpse.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Watch a let's play or something?  Dunno- I started playing it and after not being thrilled about most of the other DMC games post-original, I'm finding it to be a super high-quality Capcom title.  Like a return to form.
ど助平

paprikastaude

fixed.
[close]

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
My love affair with From started with Kings Field on the PS1. So happy to see they're more relevant than ever. Been itching to play Bloodborne but I think I'll hold off and get my From fix from this.
:9

paprikastaude

why only one of them :yeshrug

Himu

Bloodborne vs Souls 3? Better game? Btw as I said before, putting a save point ten minutes away from the boss room after dying from a boss and having to trek ten minutes to get there isn’t difficulty. I’m fine with retrieving my souls (or corpse) as I have played many games where I do just that. But I can’t stand the tedium of Souls 1 of dying at a boss and traveling all that way just to refight them. Of Bloodborne and Souls 3 which was smart enough to put save points near boss fights?
IYKYK

Raist

Bloodborne. Gameplay is more fun that Souls'.

BobFromPikeCreek

But I can’t stand the tedium of Souls 1 of dying at a boss and traveling all that way just to refight them.

Can you recall where this happened? Genuinely curious, because I don't recall every encountering this problem, so maybe you missed a bonfire?
zzzzz

kingv

Spaces in ds1 I remember having to travel forever to get to a boss. The moonlight butterfly, the dragon in the catacombs, and the gargoyle on the roof.

Maybe there is shortcuts or something, I don’t know, but I agree with cindi. I like challenge but repeating content over and over to get to the part you are stuck on is really tedious.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Bloodborne. Gameplay is more fun that Souls'.
They're basically the same.  :doge

Himu

But I can’t stand the tedium of Souls 1 of dying at a boss and traveling all that way just to refight them.

Can you recall where this happened? Genuinely curious, because I don't recall every encountering this problem, so maybe you missed a bonfire?

Gargoyle
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev

https://darksouls.fandom.com/wiki/Bell_Gargoyles

I know you're going to clown me for complaining about such an early boss, but that's specifically why it's horrible. There's the run-up from the nearby tower's bonfire, across the courtyard with a four strong-ish enemies for that player-level of strength, so I may end up using a Flask before I get to the boss, the hallway full of crazies that are easy to get through but sometimes get past my guard. IF THE PLAYER SUMMONS SOLAIRE, it means they're Living which means other players also like to invade at that juncture. They'll grief players there, it's happened to me twice.

For me, there was a lot of travel and incidental battles to repetitively wear through before getting to that Gargoyle fight.

The next one was pretty bad, too. The one in the little courtyard at the base of the tower walls. Looked like a goat-head on the boss, and the camera gets REAL twitchy. There's something of a troubled hike to get to that one, too.

BobFromPikeCreek

Nah you guys are right. Gargoyle run did suck. Especially because it's the first real boss of the game.
zzzzz

Himu

My issue is that the enemies on the way are easy and going through doing the same shit just to get to the boss is tedious as fuck.

Where were y'all a few years ago? I made this same complaint about DS1 and people told me,"just don't die hurrr". I beat the goat boss and I just never really continued after that.

I haven't played a Souls game since. I love hard games. I love rogue likes. But fuck that.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
You would have hated Ornstein and Smough :lol goddamn that fight. But I personally love that about this series. Every step in a new area is precarious with ever increasing interesting loot thats enough of a carrot to carry on. Overcoming a boss also feel momentous. Almost as if its an entire game in its own right.
:9

kingv

Bonfire placement is why I think NiOh is the better game overall. Almost all of the bosses in nioh have a shrine directly outside of their room, and you don’t have to fight a bunch of trash mobs to get back to him.

Bloodborne has the same issue. I gave up around the blood starved beast because I got tired of fighting the two wolves + whatever else on the way to get to him and occasionally dying before I could give him another try.

I think I eventually beat that boss but gave up shortly after.

BobFromPikeCreek

But every level in Nioh looks the same and it had like 4 different enemies  :yuck
zzzzz

chronovore

• relapsed dev
You would have hated Ornstein and Smough :lol goddamn that fight. But I personally love that about this series. Every step in a new area is precarious with ever increasing interesting loot thats enough of a carrot to carry on. Overcoming a boss also feel momentous. Almost as if its an entire game in its own right.

I very much /did/ hate that fight. Not only because they're horrible and the path to get to them is long and problematic, but the Blacksmith just before them is the first one in the game which can Elemental Enchant your weapon. He provides a Lightning enchantment.

Ornstein and Smough are immune to electrical damage.
Game is straight-up trolling its players.
[close]
[close]

eleuin

• perennial loser

Himu

I very much /did/ hate that fight. Not only because they're horrible and the path to get to them is long and problematic, but the Blacksmith just before them is the first one in the game which can Elemental Enchant your weapon. He provides a Lightning enchantment.

Ornstein and Smough are immune to electrical damage.
Game is straight-up trolling its players.
[close]
[close]

Jesus that sounds horrible.
IYKYK

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
Agree with Cindi. Buying this game