Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88455 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #720 on: December 16, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
I remember paying nearly $100 for Sonic 2 back in the day.
dog

Svejk

« Reply #721 on: December 16, 2020, 10:34:06 AM »
:leon  What's the deal with that?  I don't remember it being so much ever.  Personally, I remember renting S2 on actual Sonic 2sday fro the local video store (Versatile Video).  I literally saw it sitting there on some bench behind the counter... guess they didn't put it out on the shelves yet, so I bugged them to let me rent it...  Totally played it for 3 days straight..  Will always stay my favorite Sonic.  :heart

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #722 on: December 16, 2020, 01:25:45 PM »
Now that I think about it, it was probably $80 for the base price. Add in at least $5 for tax, though. Felt like a lot at the time.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #723 on: December 16, 2020, 07:42:01 PM »
:leon  What's the deal with that?  I don't remember it being so much ever.  Personally, I remember renting S2 on actual Sonic 2sday fro the local video store (Versatile Video).  I literally saw it sitting there on some bench behind the counter... guess they didn't put it out on the shelves yet, so I bugged them to let me rent it...  Totally played it for 3 days straight..  Will always stay my favorite Sonic.  :heart

Depended on the store.  I remember seeing some SNES RPGs for $80-$100, too, even when other stores had them for $60-$80.  IIRC KB Toys, Babbage's and Software Etc. used to have the worst prices.  Toys 'R Us was mixed and would often have older games still full price.  You could totally take advantage of this back in the day- like when Super Street Fighter II came out for SNES, we went to get it and I noticed that they had a game priced for $60 that a store in the mall was dumping for around $20.  We left, bought the game at the mall, then returned it to TRU (who didn't care about a receipt) and got Street Fighter. 
:rejoice
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:50:22 PM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #724 on: December 16, 2020, 08:57:00 PM »
I'll make a note to look in some old mags for the Super FX prices, but I really don't remember them being more expensive than Nintendo first party in general. Maybe like $5 more or something. The Super FX was a pretty cheap chip, the 2 is actually the version Argonaut originally made, but Nintendo said it was too costly, so they cut its clocks in half for Star Fox, Stunt Race, etc. It's a really fast, really specific RISC IIRC. Even the RISC CPUs that consoles used are still mostly off-the-shelf, but SuperFX was even more stripping out stuff a game would never use or that was replicated elsewhere in the hardware (sound, hardware to draw the graphics, etc.).

The original SuperFX spec called for 21Mhz which is kinda nuts for a CPU they were putting inside the carts without special cooling. The 486 at the time (1990) was only like 25Mhz. (Also, the SuperFX was originally considered as a NES chip.)

Lots of SNES games used custom chips though, same with NES, to get around that slow CPU. Genesis carts didn't use any except for Virtua Racing. (Which was so expensive that Sega considered just selling a plug-in cartridge that contained the SVP in it and then you'd plug games into that.)

The biggest cost by far in that era was simply the ROM costs. Street Fighters were so expensive as they were always on the high end of the ROM sizes. Which is why Capcom took a bath on Super Street Fighter II, they overproduced demand on 32 megabit carts (40 megabit for the Genesis edition!), the largest of the time, AND ROM/RAM costs shot up in Asia at the same time. Acclaim similarly got smashed on 32 megabit carts.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 09:03:27 PM by benjipwns »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #725 on: December 16, 2020, 11:35:34 PM »
RPGs were always more expensive than other games of the time due to the larger ROM sizes compared to their contemporaries and the fact that Nintendo/Sega saw them as niche, enthusiast games for older people with money to burn. Some prices I recall at the stores (mainly Toys R Us, EB) at the time:

Phantasy Star 1 and 2 were $70
Phantasy Star 3 was $75
Phantasy Star 4 I remember was a whopping $110 at Toys R Us (The most expensive I've ever seen a non-Neo-Geo, non-special edition, retail game release)
Final Fantasy 6 was $80
Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were both $75

Even the Game Boy RPGs (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3, Adventure) were all $40 when their peers would be $20-30
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #726 on: December 18, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »
RPGs were always more expensive than other games of the time due to the larger ROM sizes compared to their contemporaries and the fact that Nintendo/Sega saw them as niche, enthusiast games for older people with money to burn. Some prices I recall at the stores (mainly Toys R Us, EB) at the time:

Phantasy Star 1 and 2 were $70
Phantasy Star 3 was $75
Phantasy Star 4 I remember was a whopping $110 at Toys R Us (The most expensive I've ever seen a non-Neo-Geo, non-special edition, retail game release)
Final Fantasy 6 was $80
Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana were both $75

Even the Game Boy RPGs (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3, Adventure) were all $40 when their peers would be $20-30

I remember seeing Chrono Trigger for sure and I think FFIII as well for $99.99 at Toys 'R Us, too.  One of the best things about the change to a 'mainstream' CD format with the Saturn and PS1 was seeing game release prices suddenly change to $50-$60.  And then most of the 16-bit stuff started getting dumped and I could pick up brand new carts for $10-$20 each.
:rejoice
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #727 on: December 18, 2020, 03:45:23 PM »
Getting Grandia brand new for $50  :delicious

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #728 on: December 19, 2020, 03:27:57 AM »
The Astro City Mini is pretty dope if you’re like me and used to own a real Astro City and need that hot aesthetic in your life. Otherwise you should just get a Raspberry Pi or something

The Astro City Mini Arcade stick is SHIT HOT, costs enough tho. Weighs 6.5 pounds holy shit

Bebpo

« Reply #729 on: December 19, 2020, 04:19:35 AM »
I'm still waiting to see if this retro mini console/arcade revival thing ever moves beyond 16-bit.

Like a Saturn mini or Dreamcast mini would be amazing. And tech-wise and emulator quality-wise these days I don't see why they couldn't do it. A Saturn mini should be real doable and there are so many amazing and rare Saturn games it'd be really awesome.

At this point I figure it's either never going to happen, or it'll happen in the next couple of years since at this point that's all that's left for these companies in mini-consoles. Mini-Saturn, Mini-N64, Mini-PS2, etc...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #730 on: December 25, 2020, 08:12:40 AM »
Paprium finally came out!

ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #731 on: December 26, 2020, 12:47:24 AM »
The Astro City Mini is pretty dope if you’re like me and used to own a real Astro City and need that hot aesthetic in your life. Otherwise you should just get a Raspberry Pi or something

The Astro City Mini Arcade stick is SHIT HOT, costs enough tho. Weighs 6.5 pounds holy shit

Dude on our project got one, and it was the only time I've seen him brag in a year of working together. :pimp

Bebpo

« Reply #732 on: December 26, 2020, 06:15:09 PM »

So is this game going to come to modern systems/pc at some point? Or do you have to play on an emulator?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #733 on: December 27, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »

So is this game going to come to modern systems/pc at some point? Or do you have to play on an emulator?

As I understand it, there's only a physical Genesis release and the carts have some modifications preventing them from working after being dumped.  Am sure it will pop up as playable at some point and don't understand why they wouldn't officially release it as a digital purchase.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #734 on: December 27, 2020, 08:46:51 PM »
I didn't even know it was possible to prevent roms from being dumped in modern times. wtf.

Seems a bit up their own ass.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #735 on: December 27, 2020, 09:05:49 PM »
I didn't even know it was possible to prevent roms from being dumped in modern times. wtf.

Seems a bit up their own ass.

Not sure if that was their intention (although I'm sure they wouldn't want it to be pirated!)- as I understand it, there's some extra chips to allow the game to run the way it does on a Genesis.  IIRC it also only works on certain model Genesis systems and won't work on some, if not all, clone consoles. 

It's cool to see new games being made for old consoles like this, but it's also baffling why they would purposefully limit the playerbase like this.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #736 on: December 27, 2020, 09:07:58 PM »
Speaking of limited, they announced their next game:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/just_when_you_thought_2020_couldnt_get_any_weirder_watermelons_paprium_is_finally_finished

Amazingly, even though the Paprium saga has left a bad taste in the mouths of many, WaterMelon has just announced another Genesis project – but it's expecting people to lay down cash before even seeing a single screenshot.

Entitled A(...)M(...)96, it's another scrolling fighter for Sega's 16-bit console, and will cost you $169 for the standard version and $229 for the limited edition. WaterMelon clearly expects this to become something of a collector's item, as it is only creating a single batch, and warns buyers "if you miss it now, you miss it forever!" It is also encouraging people to buy in bulk, stating that a discount will be applied to orders of more than 7 units, and that any order over $4999 will get a "free arcade cab, custom-made for the game."

:titus
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #737 on: December 27, 2020, 09:22:53 PM »
lol

Shuri

« Reply #738 on: December 30, 2020, 05:16:25 PM »
after getting burned by xenocrisis, I'm kinda done with homebrew games  :-\

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #739 on: December 30, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »
after getting burned by xenocrisis, I'm kinda done with homebrew games  :-\

What happened?
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #740 on: December 30, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »
Speaking of limited, they announced their next game:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/12/just_when_you_thought_2020_couldnt_get_any_weirder_watermelons_paprium_is_finally_finished

Amazingly, even though the Paprium saga has left a bad taste in the mouths of many, WaterMelon has just announced another Genesis project – but it's expecting people to lay down cash before even seeing a single screenshot.

Entitled A(...)M(...)96, it's another scrolling fighter for Sega's 16-bit console, and will cost you $169 for the standard version and $229 for the limited edition. WaterMelon clearly expects this to become something of a collector's item, as it is only creating a single batch, and warns buyers "if you miss it now, you miss it forever!" It is also encouraging people to buy in bulk, stating that a discount will be applied to orders of more than 7 units, and that any order over $4999 will get a "free arcade cab, custom-made for the game."

Any trailer & screenshots?
No

Dudes, why is that?
We only focus on the game!

Can I buy the game later?
No, it's a single-batch, but you can try ebay later-on.

Any purchase deadline?
Maybe

Is it worth the price?
Considering how exclusive it is,
we think it's a bargain.

©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #741 on: December 31, 2020, 05:48:51 PM »
We can't even show you what the game looks like because we only focus on the game!
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #742 on: December 31, 2020, 06:38:03 PM »
thinking of getting a retroid pocket 2.

Thoughts?
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #743 on: January 02, 2021, 02:37:16 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #744 on: January 02, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »
thinking of getting a retroid pocket 2.

Thoughts?

No idea- can't keep up with these things since so many keep getting released. :dizzy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #745 on: January 03, 2021, 01:13:46 PM »

He reads part of the developer's "manifesto" in the beginning.  It's :crazy

The carts have a jack you can use to connect to the Internet with and upload high scores or get DLC.  Wonder if the latter will ever happen?

He also mentions that when you unlock everything and get the game's true ending, the save file locks and you can't go back to it.  If you delete the save, anything you've unlocked also gets deleted.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:22:03 PM by bork »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #746 on: January 03, 2021, 02:27:22 PM »
I wonder if the 'heatsink' bouncing around the cart like that can short something.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 02:51:20 PM by Rufus »

Bebpo

« Reply #747 on: January 03, 2021, 04:27:31 PM »

As someone that plays virtual pinball on the regular, this is cool, but honestly I don't think it'd feel much better than on your pc with a rotated screen. The virtual stuff is fantastic, but there's just something about actual physical balls rolling around.

My parents had a pinball machine when I was a kid (Pinbot) and someday I'd like to get a real one myself.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »
New open-source scaler coming out soon - looks similar to the OSSC in function, not really sure how it compares:

https://www.gbscaio.com/
^_^

Quaker

« Reply #749 on: January 10, 2021, 12:32:45 AM »
The OSSC is "open source" in that the design isn't owned by any company but there's not really a lot, if any, community updates for it from what I can tell. What this really means is that you can buy it for around $120 if you order from China/aliexpress now that it's a free for all on manufacturing(It was closer to around $200 back when it launched and there weren't as many sources to buy it from).

This other scaler is based on a project that uses an Arduino and tiny hardware tweaks to add functionality to a dirt cheap $20 Chinese(?) scaler with lots of ongoing community driven updates and improvements.)

This GBS doesn't look nearly as good as OSSC for Super Nintendo in the example video below but looks like a big improvement in performance for PS1 and PS2 games.

(Some PS1 games like Chrono Cross, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill output at one resolution during gameplay and another higher resolution in their menus. This causes a short signal dropout on digital screens with some upscalers and TVs, which this upscaler fixes due to having a buffer large enough to avoid the problem and small enough not to introduce any lag.

For PS2 games, most are interlaced at 480i and need to be deinterlaced for HDTVs. Depending on the method, this can have the side effect of introducing combing artifacts or making some elements like the HUD or text have an unsightly judder or flicker. This scaler has the option of "Motion Adaptive" deinterlacing which I've heard very good things about.)

This new "All-in-One" fork looks great, hopefully in a few months when it's fully open source there'll be some good tutorials so you can build one for half the price with some minor soldering.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:49:58 AM by Quaker »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #750 on: January 11, 2021, 12:27:51 PM »
Hooked up the PS1 to the 4K tv. Played some Medal of Honor. Game is still pretty fun.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #751 on: January 11, 2021, 10:25:55 PM »
Hooked up the PS1 to the 4K tv. Played some Medal of Honor. Game is still pretty fun.

I played through MOH Underground not too long ago and it held up well.

Just a heads up that you can get Famicom minis on the Japanese version of Amazon for about $57.  They do take US debit/credit cards and ship to the States.  Ordered one tonight.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B01M1VMFUA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Still trying to get the TurboGrafx/PC Engine/SuperGrafx mini for a decent price...

Sho Nuff

« Reply #752 on: January 11, 2021, 11:43:38 PM »
GF picked one up, that controller is HORRIFYINGLY small (FC mini)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 11:52:44 PM by Sho Nuff »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #753 on: January 12, 2021, 12:40:44 AM »
Was at a local Disc Replay(Midwest used store mostly run by stoners) and they had a used Dualshock 3 and Sixaxis. Bought that shit up. Real PS3 controllers are kind of hard to find these days.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #754 on: January 12, 2021, 03:42:25 AM »
Slam jam a new battery in that DS3, so hard to find a functioning one

Clockwork5

« Reply #755 on: January 12, 2021, 06:31:09 PM »
Got an RG300 of Amazon with a preloaded SD card full of those sweet roms. I’m unreasonably excited to get that bad boy in the mail tomorrow. 

Tasty

« Reply #758 on: January 22, 2021, 01:10:55 PM »
Honestly at fullscreen that might be my preferred way to play Sonic, at least parts of Sonic 2 and probably CD.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #759 on: January 22, 2021, 09:44:20 PM »
Honestly at fullscreen that might be my preferred way to play Sonic, at least parts of Sonic 2 and probably CD.

Might work well on a big TV!
ど助平

Rman

« Reply #760 on: February 16, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »
anyone heard of a company called retrovision? they seem to make good cables. sligthly pricey, but are they legit?

Quaker

« Reply #761 on: February 16, 2021, 07:07:07 PM »
HD Retrovision?

I don't have any but their Genesis component cables are held in really high regard. They also sell PlayStation and Saturn adapters for their Genesis cables.

Svejk

« Reply #762 on: February 18, 2021, 09:05:29 AM »
I didn't know someone patched the PS2 version of Phantasy Star Generation 2 in English!

https://cdromance.com/ps2-iso/sega-ages-2500-series-vol-17-phantasy-star-generation2-english-patched/

It runs kinda not bad on my phone...  The battles looks great!... but those cut scenes are a bit jarring what with the art style though.

Rman

« Reply #763 on: February 20, 2021, 08:38:13 AM »
HD Retrovision?

I don't have any but their Genesis component cables are held in really high regard. They also sell PlayStation and Saturn adapters for their Genesis cables.

Yes!

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #764 on: February 21, 2021, 12:40:23 PM »
I didn't know someone patched the PS2 version of Phantasy Star Generation 2 in English!

https://cdromance.com/ps2-iso/sega-ages-2500-series-vol-17-phantasy-star-generation2-english-patched/

It runs kinda not bad on my phone...  The battles looks great!... but those cut scenes are a bit jarring what with the art style though.

I hate hate hate what they did with the character artwork so much in this...  :-\
^_^

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #765 on: February 21, 2021, 01:22:28 PM »
Finally got the English patch for Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 :jeb I didn't realize it ever got finished and released, but it's a damn near complete translation of everything. There's a handful of stuff deep into the options that I have no clue what it is even in there for or what it does that isn't translated and that's about it.
Can always use a phones OCR for those few.
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #766 on: March 19, 2021, 12:17:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1372766463556083715

Amazing thread! Love Duke 3D and Build Engine games. Now I really wanna build my own. 👀

Quaker

« Reply #767 on: March 19, 2021, 07:18:53 PM »
"Boomer Shooters" :heartbeat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #768 on: March 19, 2021, 08:17:12 PM »
Im still waiting on an Unreal Tournament or Quake 3 revival

Then again, Epic so ehhh

why did they have to turn to shit  :(

I dont see Microsoft giving ID the go ahead for a Quake 3 Arena type game lmao  :maf
What

Quaker

« Reply #769 on: March 19, 2021, 08:53:31 PM »
Why not?

They're desperate for marketshare and aside from Forza and maybe Gears I don't see a lot else that's promising. They'll run out of ideas eventually.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #770 on: March 19, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »
There was both: Quake Live and UT2014.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #771 on: March 20, 2021, 06:37:45 AM »
There was both: Quake Live and UT2014.

Heh I know but neither came close to the perfection of ut99 and q3a
What

Tasty

« Reply #772 on: March 25, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »

Bebpo

« Reply #773 on: March 26, 2021, 12:29:01 AM »
So I saw a thread on all of Mario game deaths in a few days and it said that the Fire Emblem 1 NES release on Switch with all the nice quality of life stuff like FF and turn rewind and save states is also disappearing in a few days.

Is FE1 any good? I usually feel like 8-bit stuff is way too dated gameplay-wise but I saw a review that said with the QoL stuff it holds up as a tactics game. If I had to choose between playing FE Awakening on 3ds or this version of FE1 NES as my next FE and didn't care about fucking thousand your old loli dragons, which is the better tactics game?

Shuri

« Reply #774 on: March 27, 2021, 10:47:36 AM »
I picked up a bunch of arcade hardware in the past months

Sega Naomi + Slashout, a fun forgotten Sega hack and slash games. I actually accidentally bought the Naomi that came with it, the online translator wasnt clear if it was included, and I basically paid /3 of the price on ebay for the cart. So yay, Bonus Sega Naomi. Soon, I will be able to build a house out of Naomis.
Namco System 246 + Gundam DX, Gundam Seed 2. This should be interesting, when it gets there.
Rage of the Dragon MVS, a fun Garou ERA fighting game based on Double Dragon
Real Bout Fatal Fury. I didnt have that one. It's fun.
Fighter History Dynamite. It's alright. Very colorful
GanGan, or Aggressor of dark kombat. Not bad!
Spinal Breaker, a shooter in the spirit of Cabal. There are some very uhh, late '80 racial stereotypes in this game. What the fuck  :doge
X-Men Vs Street Fighters! Such a classic.

Why are people on resetera still promoting the Framemeister, is this still 2012

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #775 on: March 27, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
Spinal Breaker, a shooter in the spirit of Cabal. There are some very uhh, late '80 racial stereotypes in this game. What the fuck  :doge

Starring the dashing hero: Captain Waffle
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #776 on: March 28, 2021, 07:10:25 PM »
Busted out the VIRTUAL BOYS to try them out - no surprise, they have issues (virtual boys are very problematic).
I found someone online who repairs the headset piece so I am sending them out this week.

Have some virtual boy porn

fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #777 on: March 28, 2021, 07:52:47 PM »
So I saw a thread on all of Mario game deaths in a few days and it said that the Fire Emblem 1 NES release on Switch with all the nice quality of life stuff like FF and turn rewind and save states is also disappearing in a few days.

Is FE1 any good? I usually feel like 8-bit stuff is way too dated gameplay-wise but I saw a review that said with the QoL stuff it holds up as a tactics game. If I had to choose between playing FE Awakening on 3ds or this version of FE1 NES as my next FE and didn't care about fucking thousand your old loli dragons, which is the better tactics game?
FE Awakening is what revived the series and a fantastic game.
I'm also a big fan of Echoes of Valencia, which is a remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, the 2nd game in the series.

Not sure about buying Fire Emblem NES on Switch at this point.
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS is an excellent remake of the same game that was also released on Wii U.
One of those Nintendo things to not bring that back with a 'remaster' of sorts but instead release the very first 8 bit Fire Emblem relic with a limited release instead of adding it to their Switch NES library :dizzy
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #778 on: March 29, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
Busted out the VIRTUAL BOYS to try them out - no surprise, they have issues (virtual boys are very problematic).
I found someone online who repairs the headset piece so I am sending them out this week.

Have some virtual boy porn

(Image removed from quote.)

It's amazing how much VB-related stuff is going for nowadays. I wanted one just as a talking piece (and maybe to try Jack Bros) but then looked at the prices and noped the fuck right back out. Jaguar is the same way, from a system you couldn't give away back in the day, now it's going for $300-400+.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #779 on: March 29, 2021, 08:16:35 AM »
Scarcity is a hell of a drug.