Author Topic: Learning Music OT  (Read 31146 times)

Tasty

Re: Learning (or continuing to learn) an instrument in 2019
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »
Daily Status: 2019-01-02

- Completed Section #2 of Beginner Piano on Udemy, bringing me to 22% completion for the course.
- Learned how to find any key (A-G) on the piano using some brain tricks. I can name any key now! :)
- Practiced the right hand intro to "Auld Lang Syne" on Flowkey (beginner level.)

agrajag

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »
Gmaj/Em had always been my rut on guitar

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2019, 12:14:08 PM »

- Completed Section #2 of Beginner Piano on Udemy, bringing me to 22% completion for the course.
- Learned how to find any key (A-G) on the piano using some brain tricks. I can name any key now! :)
- Practiced the right hand intro to "Auld Lang Syne" on Flowkey (beginner level.)
nice. Pretty soon you'll be playing this

每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2019, 12:24:33 PM »
I want Andy to serenade us with some saccharine Schoenberg ballads.

shosta

« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
Learning how to play a piano means you'll be able to play a keyboard and vice versa, maybe minus some pedals.
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
one is an acoustic instrument, the other electronic.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
Puppy, does learning classical guitar also help with proficiency in other genres? Like for instance, Jazz? Or even metal?
Certainly the Guiliani 120 would be perfect on a tele or good for any guitar. The Brouwer 12 should work there too. But once you get to the latter numbers of the Sor 24 you'll likely run out of room to do all the work necessary. I wouldn't try the Villa Lobos 12 at all (though a few Etudes, like #1 do go well on an electric)

As to classical  guitar helping with other kinds of playing. Well, yeah, it helps, just in the way playing different kinds of styles help expand your knowledge. Randi Rhodes was known to be a huge fan of the Villa Lobos 12 Etudes and used some of them as warm up pieces.

I will say though that there's a difference. As you can see, classical guitar is all about dissection and building ways in and out of positions. It's almost a scholarly pursuit. Whereas other styles, especially Jazz, are almost diametrically opposed (less dissection and more flowing). For these kinds I'd say look at what Glen was talking about shifting scales and all that. If you can do that you're better off than teaching yourself classical guitar to get better at Jazz guitar.

Classical guitar is about taking something someone else made, playing by their rules and making it your own. Jazz is about creating your own thing. Different paradigm. Requires different skills.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2019, 01:37:07 PM »

Tasty, I love your gusto here. But a possible word of caution, as you get better and move farther the progress you make will not be able to be measured daily. Or if you did it'll get really depressing. There's been times where I've spent a week working on 4 measures.  It can be really depressing. I used to report status weekly so I'd have more to show. I just wanted to point out not to get discouraged when you get to that point where you spend days on one thing. It doesn't mean you're stalled or crap. It's a different kind of progress.
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »
As for my daily status, I'll be using this as my sight reading practice today.

It's a nice piece, never played it.
que

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »

Tasty, I love your gusto here. But a possible word of caution, as you get better and move farther the progress you make will not be able to be measured daily. Or if you did it'll get really depressing. There's been times where I've spent a week working on 4 measures.  It can be really depressing. I used to report status weekly so I'd have more to show. I just wanted to point out not to get discouraged when you get to that point where you spend days on one thing. It doesn't mean you're stalled or crap. It's a different kind of progress.

Ya I know, in the OP I mentioned weekly updates for the year. I just feel like doing daily right now while I'm hyped up. :P

I am concerned about what'll happen when I hit my first wall (or couple walls.) It's been really smooth sailing so far but I'm basically covering the same ground a new third-grade student would. Sticking with it and practicing a section every day is tough, but much more so when you end the session no better than when you started. It concerns me how it'd probably only take a day or two of that to derail my interest slightly (which always has the danger of becoming more than that.) I suppose in that specific instance I could try a different section or song, but there's other "mental" walls I'm sure I'll hit once I get into intermediate music theory too. There's a number of things I'm expecting to potentially trip me up.

So it's something I have my eye on for sure. My hope with this thread is that the social pressure will keep me at the keyboard every day. :)

I also signed up for Habitica, an honestly pretty-lame habit tracking RPG thing. I've been using a pretty barebones tracker for the past two years to moderate success, but I wanted something cloud-based and more social. If anyone here is on the site, PM me and I'll add you ("Parties" and "Group Quests" are things on Habitica.)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:58:00 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2019, 01:46:36 AM »
Daily Status: 2019-01-03

- Read 30 pages of Music Theory for Dummies. :o Just kept devouring the pages while bored this afternoon. About 1/3rd done with the book now.
- Memorized the first half of the right hand part to "Auld Lang Syne" (see spoiler.) Second half and left hand this weekend. Really happy with my progress today. :)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2019, 12:18:44 AM »
Tasty, is it cool to use your thread as a catch-all for musical thoughts? I'm a philosopher.

Tasty

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
Tasty, is it cool to use your thread as a catch-all for musical thoughts? I'm a philosopher.

Absolutely!

Tasty

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_mathematics

My music theory book has touched on a lot of this so far and it's kind of blowing my mind.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2019, 01:14:11 AM »
I've seen it said that music theory is 'just numbers'. :-*
Hi

agrajag

« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »
I've been messing around with this looper pedal I bought a couple of weeks ago. Man, what a great tool for testing out musical ideas.

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2019, 07:01:54 PM »
Made a deal with myself to upgrade from my 61-key non-weighted Casio to the 88-key *fully-weighted Yamaha P45/P71 at the end of the month... if I keep up with my practicing and meet the goals I set out at the start of the month.

Wish me luck. 😬
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:30:58 AM by Tasty Meat »

agrajag

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
good luck!

shosta

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2019, 08:26:10 PM »
jagrabag, you should post some of your stuff
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2019, 08:42:06 PM »
I've been messing around with this looper pedal I bought a couple of weeks ago. Man, what a great tool for testing out musical ideas.

What pedal is it?

NUX LOOP CORE. It works ok, but doesn't seem to work with distortion. I am still figuring it our, probably need to check out some demo videos.

agrajag

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2019, 08:43:00 PM »
jagrabag, you should post some of your stuff

I don't have anything recorded nor do I have the equipment for that. This year I plan on getting that fixed.

Tasty

« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2019, 08:44:31 PM »
Get fully weighted man.

That's more Demi's thing than mine

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2019, 12:31:08 AM »
👀

I'm an emo boy shutup :maf :-[

This is sooooooo much fun. I'm even having a lot of fun just trying to do sheet music without any other visual aides. I need to start using a metronome tho, my timing's pretty fucked up.

I'n not 10% satisfied with my current playing of this btw, and I still have the other half to learn too.
[close]
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2019, 01:46:58 AM »
Get fully weighted man.

Also I was incorrect -- the Yamaha P45/P71 is fully-weighted. :D

I'm gonna get the bundle, too (consists of the stand, bench, pedal, and headphones.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:51:38 AM by Tasty Meat »

agrajag

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2019, 07:21:58 AM »
The Russians' contributions to musical arts are substantial and will not be questioned.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2019, 09:41:51 AM »
Rimsky Korsakov is seriously underrated. I always say the best neo-classical Spanish composer was Russian because of him.
que

agrajag

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
Rimsky Korsakov is seriously underrated. I always say the best neo-classical Spanish composer was Russian because of him.

the flight of the bumblebee is the only work of his I am familiar with (although I could have heard more of his stuff and just don't know the titles/that they were his compositions). Any particular works you like?

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2019, 11:18:14 AM »
You've probably heard parts of Scheherezade ...
QED

agrajag

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
oh yeah, for sure

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »

que

Tasty

New thread title. :)

agrajag

ostinato?

agrajag

well, ostinato is a more general term for a repeating pattern, maybe there is a more specific term for what you're thinking of

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I've always wondered, is there a term for a rythmn or bassline that is more or less constant through a song, even though everything else changes for the chorus?

Examples being,

The bassline in Bodies

The rhythm in Everlong

Boy, am I going to blow your mind right now

que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I'm not listening to 13 minutes of organ music, trying to figure out what's supposed to blow my mind.
Your loss. Stay dumb. :trumps
que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
My music theory professor, who had his doctorate in Music theory always quoted Debussy saying "There is no theory. Music cannot be learned."

That confusing asshole!
que

agrajag

My music theory professor, who had his doctorate in Music theory always quoted Debussy saying "There is no theory. Music cannot be learned."

That confusing asshole!

so his entire career was a sham then?

Tasty

Today marks one month since I started learning piano! (Dec. 10) 🎹

Might have a vid of my progress tonight or tomorrow. Today also marked the first time I learned a ""completed"" song, but I'm not quite at speed on the last couple measures yet.

Spent like three hours today practicing lol. I've missed two days in January so far but I've made up for it on the following days.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
That's awesome tasty! I'm really proud and envious.

But, there's no such thing as make up practice. It doesn't work that way. Still, way to go!
que

Tasty

Yeah it's really frustrating. :lol Those three hours were basically half hour chunks throughout the day, I've noticed my playing gets a LOT worse after the 30 min mark haha.

Tasty

Actually -- misread your post. I agree! There are no makeup days really. That said, when you're traveling cross-state without your keyboard, sometimes you have to just accept an off day. (I mean mostly practice-wise; on those days I still tore into my music theory book.)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Fun fact: Rachmaninoff wrote his second piano concerto but hadn't learned it and his agent booked him to debut it 3 weeks later in New York.
Which means he had to learn it solely using a practice keyboard while taking a ship from Europe to New York. He arrived 2 days before the concert. This makes listening to it that much more impressive. When he debuted it he had only played it on an actual piano a handful of times.

que

agrajag

iirc Berlioz was the first major composer who didn't play an instrument, or could not play his own pieces at any rate.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
iirc Berlioz was the first major composer who didn't play an instrument, or could not play his own pieces at any rate.
He could play guitar. But he was apparently not very good at it.
que

agrajag

sounds like a guitar player

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
que

agrajag

another favorite of mine I want to share.

he has so much knowledge and so engaging, even people that don't know a lick (har) about music watch his videos.

agrajag

I love old timey instruments with nylon (or better yet gut) strinfs. Classical guitars, lutes, harpsichords, they instantly transport you go a long gone era.

:lawd

Tasty

It seems like I suck 10% more when the camera's on, but that's just one more skill to learn. :idont

My first "complete" song at full speed. :D You can really tell the differences compared to the vid a week ago. I'm really happy with my progress so far. :heart

Tasty

Also been listening to chunks of this:

Puts the fear of God into me like little else has.

agrajag

well Scriabin did try to initiate the apocalypse and raise the old ones with his music..

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I love old timey instruments with nylon (or better yet gut) strinfs. Classical guitars, lutes, harpsichords, they instantly transport you go a long gone era.

:lawd

True story. When I was in college I was approached by the early music ensemble because they needed a lute player and they were asking me to help them. I said OK, and they gave me a lute to use and some tablature. I had to learn to teach myself to learn lute tab (no small feat) and I honestly rather enjoyed it. Not as much as the guitar, but it was a nice diversion. Anyhoo, we play a bunch of concerts and all that then one day I get a letter from the Utah Shakespearean festival offering me a job to come and dress up like a minstrel and play the lute for people at the festival. 

Right after that I put down the lute and never picked it up again. If the end game is becoming a professional m'lady-er I didn't want to spend more time on it.
que

agrajag

yeah, next thing you know you're an alcoholic living in the trailer behind the renaissance festival

Snoopycat_

I once dated this girl who was in an "experimental" band which made her seem all cool and mysterious. One night I went to see her and her band playing a gig in a half empty pub. It turned out it was just her and 3 Yokos hitting things with spoons. I had to be all supportive and pretend she wasn't a total spaz so I could get into her panties, which turned out to be not worth it. The next day she took me to see some chamber orchestra. I was stuck with her and a bunch of beards watching some divs playing cellos like it mattered. Anyway, the point is you don't even need to learn to play anything cos you can just say your avant garde and nobody will say shit.

Tasty

There's always room for self-improvement. :)

Snoopycat_

This is my favourite YT music guy. I like Jak because he's coked to the gills and looks like Bill Murray in drag, but he knows his stuff and he's down to earth. A lot of YT music guys are boring or precious as fuck. Ask James James why he only plays boring 70s shit and it's guaranteed she'll have a mental breakdown and threaten to quit.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
This is my favourite YT music guy. I like Jak because he's coked to the gills and looks like Bill Murray in drag, but he knows his stuff and he's down to earth. A lot of YT music guys are boring or precious as fuck. Ask James James why he only plays boring 70s shit and it's guaranteed she'll have a mental breakdown and threaten to quit.

this is what i'm talking about. i get nothing out of the modern eductated youtube guitarist who goes into aspergic detail about the pick slant slash uses or whatever while having no emotion behind it. if you're teaching rock or metal, there needs to be a rawness there. a piss stained pair of drainpipes that you haven't been able to squeeze into for a decade and a trembling disposition that tells its own story.

i mean, you don't have to go that far, but you have to understand that it's as much about projection of energy as it is notes on a page.

quite like ben eller for that reason. he splits the difference. he's def of the new school but still gets it.

agrajag

ITT old rocker man yells at cloud

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
I once dated this girl who was in an "experimental" band which made her seem all cool and mysterious. One night I went to see her and her band playing a gig in a half empty pub. It turned out it was just her and 3 Yokos hitting things with spoons. I had to be all supportive and pretend she wasn't a total spaz so I could get into her panties, which turned out to be not worth it. The next day she took me to see some chamber orchestra. I was stuck with her and a bunch of beards watching some divs playing cellos like it mattered. Anyway, the point is you don't even need to learn to play anything cos you can just say your avant garde and nobody will say shit.
In college there were several times I was asked to perform with the modern music ensemble. 80% of the performances I did with them I was sight reading/just making it up on the fly. They were always like "Oh man, that was soul touching! Such artistry!" 80% of modern/avant garde music  ::)
que

Himu

Tasty doing good :heartbeat
IYKYK