Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3927512 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #4140 on: March 20, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
So many high and middle profiles Kickstarters for games went off rails in that manner, it's not really surprising really and calling it a scam (without any more info) is maybe hyperbole (I'd rather reserve that for Star Citizen).

Turns out making games is expensive still.

I mean... its Black Mirror: Bandersnatch Hard Gay edition... the technical risks of making something that you could make on Youtube with annotations aren't going to be a big financial black hole...

e: Like... you could author it as a DVD and distribute it as an ISO with a link to VLC.

I mean...you still gotta hire actors, rent/buy recording equipment, buy props/costumes, commission music and sound, pay an editor, ect. It's probably more expensive than a traditional game because one or two people couldn't actually make the game themselves working on the side.
dog

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #4141 on: March 20, 2019, 09:53:47 AM »
KICKSTARTER PROJECT’S $85,000 RAN OUT A LONG TIME AGO, SAYS ZOE QUINN
In October of 2016 Zoe Quinn and Chuck Tingle managed to secure $85,448 to make a live-action FMV game. In August of 2018 Chuck Tingle claimed he had no involvement with the game, and that it was all in the hands of Zoe Quinn. Updates have been sporadic and infrequent on the Kickstarter page, but the latest update wasn’t on Kickstarter but Twitter.

In the update, posted on March 19th, 2019, 200 days after the last update, Quinn responded to a Twitter user asking about the Kickstarted FMV game based on Chuck Tingle’s characters. Quinn responded with the following…
ran out of money a long time ago, not cool with asking people to work for free, got a day job to start crawling out of debt and in a place where I can properly finish it. this is the day job.

:jeanluc

I'm just kind of assuming era aren't going to cover zoe quinn scamming people on kickstarter
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kickstarted-in-the-butt-what-happened-to-project-tingler.65318/#post-12097387

..you do know what happened to Zoe Quinn in 2014, right? Which would provide a pretty damn reasonable explanation why a game she was working on would be abandoned?

It wasn’t Kickstarted, anyway, just similarly an FMV game; it was a “project” in the sense it was a thing she was working on, not in the sense that it was on Kickstarter.
Oi Oi

BisMarckie

« Reply #4142 on: March 20, 2019, 09:54:14 AM »
My cyncial take is that everyone all too willing to accept patreon money for their 'contribution' to the culture war are just grifters and scam artists. Be it Anita Sarkeesian or Zoe Quinn  or Ben Shapiro.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:11:09 AM by KennyLoggins »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4143 on: March 20, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »
Don't worry people. This was one of the risks.

"Also my cat sits on my keyboard a lot which is a real difficulty and I want you to know that. It's an ongoing challenge and makes it hard to type. I don't have a solution to this problem."

Luckily her internet followers know exactly how to solve a cat problem. Dogpile the cat.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4144 on: March 20, 2019, 09:55:47 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/703752115/kickstarted-in-the-butt-a-chuck-tingle-digital-adv

The greatest funding requirement is the cost of filming the entire game as an FMV Adventure. Why are we going back to a decades-old form of game making that was hastily abandoned and literally no one asked for? Because we are dedicated to pouring our hearts into crafting ridiculously awesome things quite seriously, and FMV matches the stock photography style of Chuck's covers. We’ve spent a considerable amount of our own money and countless hours (we’re not joking. We’re too sleepy to count anything right now) to develop a game that truly emulates the distinct feel of a Chuck Tingle novel.

Over the last few months we’ve experimented with production pipelines and the tech, and we’ve done multiple shoots, so we know how to minimize risks and waste that can come from needing to re-shoot footage. We've prototyped out a level that meets our standards, because we didn’t want to come to you before we’d eliminated the biggest, girthiest risks in creating the game! Project Tingler has been hard in development for almost a year at this point, and we are well-equipped to handle the challenges that naturally arouse during the process, including ones that aren't exclusive to working in FMV.

The core team has shipped a combined 12 games in the past 5 years, and we're well-versed in how to finish a game and accurately budget (ignore what we just said about not being able to count).

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4145 on: March 20, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »
Maybe. But I think we all know by now a lot of Kickstarters have optimistic and unreasonable goals predicated on best case scenarios or some form of additional funding even when led by seasoned and experienced designers. 85,000$ would seem to me as barely enough to pay two persons over a full year. It's awfully meager even for a relatively simple game.

By all means she doesn't get a pass for it. And maybe she mismanaged it, as it stands I don't have any info to lean on that aspect.

I mean...you still gotta hire actors, rent/buy recording equipment, buy props/costumes, commission music and sound, pay an editor, ect. It's probably more expensive than a traditional game because one or two people couldn't actually make the game themselves working on the side.

She seemed pretty confident all that was covered when she invited Vice to come along and film her filming it  :trumps

e: don't get me wrong, I don't have a hate boner for her, but this reeks of 'scam' not 'reach exceeding grasp'

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4146 on: March 20, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »
Zoe Quinn should probably refocus on her crash override network. Which can be abbreviated to CON, can't make that shit up.  :doge
That was shutdown in 2016.

benjipwns

« Reply #4147 on: March 20, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
I like Quinn and enjoy her work
:huh what exactly would that be again? her "memoir" about GamerGate?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:05:50 AM by benjipwns »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4148 on: March 20, 2019, 10:03:50 AM »
speaking of reaching
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-fragility-of-the-internet-is-another-good-reason-why-streaming-is-not-the-future.106471/post-19029206
Digital attacks aren't the only worry, undersea cables can easily be cut, either intentionally or accidentally. Hell, sharks sometimes attack undersea cables

:umad

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #4149 on: March 20, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »
Electric devices are not the future. Power plants can have outages.
Oi Oi

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #4150 on: March 20, 2019, 10:08:16 AM »
It's true. A world war could severely affect my streaming experience

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4151 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »
speaking of reaching
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-fragility-of-the-internet-is-another-good-reason-why-streaming-is-not-the-future.106471/post-19029206
Digital attacks aren't the only worry, undersea cables can easily be cut, either intentionally or accidentally. Hell, sharks sometimes attack undersea cables

"Stadia might be risky because undersea communications cables can get bitten in half by sharks!"

:neogaf
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #4152 on: March 20, 2019, 10:10:19 AM »
Zoe Quinn should probably refocus on her crash override network. Which can be abbreviated to CON, can't make that shit up.  :doge
That was shutdown in 2016.

I know, the wikipedia entry is a doozy. :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #4153 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:24 AM »
undersea cables can "easily be cut" "accidentally" since when?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4154 on: March 20, 2019, 10:12:41 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4155 on: March 20, 2019, 10:13:01 AM »

Did someone film her fucking all those journos? :thinking
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4156 on: March 20, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
She did do that shoot for suicide girls or some cheap rip off site or something.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4157 on: March 20, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
undersea cables can "easily be cut" "accidentally" since when?

:gurl

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4158 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:49 AM »
KICKSTARTER PROJECT’S $85,000 RAN OUT A LONG TIME AGO, SAYS ZOE QUINN
In October of 2016 Zoe Quinn and Chuck Tingle managed to secure $85,448 to make a live-action FMV game. In August of 2018 Chuck Tingle claimed he had no involvement with the game, and that it was all in the hands of Zoe Quinn. Updates have been sporadic and infrequent on the Kickstarter page, but the latest update wasn’t on Kickstarter but Twitter.

In the update, posted on March 19th, 2019, 200 days after the last update, Quinn responded to a Twitter user asking about the Kickstarted FMV game based on Chuck Tingle’s characters. Quinn responded with the following…
ran out of money a long time ago, not cool with asking people to work for free, got a day job to start crawling out of debt and in a place where I can properly finish it. this is the day job.

:jeanluc

I'm just kind of assuming era aren't going to cover zoe quinn scamming people on kickstarter
https://www.resetera.com/threads/kickstarted-in-the-butt-what-happened-to-project-tingler.65318/#post-12097387

..you do know what happened to Zoe Quinn in 2014, right? Which would provide a pretty damn reasonable explanation why a game she was working on would be abandoned?

It wasn’t Kickstarted, anyway, just similarly an FMV game; it was a “project” in the sense it was a thing she was working on, not in the sense that it was on Kickstarter.

Instead of focusing on gamergate nonsense, maybe they should remember that she asked for a bunch of cash and then went to live off it in Tokyo for like six months.  :doge
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4159 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:57 AM »
Work together with some electric eels to do a makeshift emp attack on the cables.

benjipwns

« Reply #4160 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »
post makes it sound like you drag anything on the ocean floor you'll just cut off the entire internet

benjipwns

« Reply #4161 on: March 20, 2019, 10:17:15 AM »
Bernard's probably coordinating with his Russian masters to send fleets of sharks against the undersea cables so that Cheebs and Kirblar can never return

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4162 on: March 20, 2019, 10:17:26 AM »
this elaborate aquaman astroturfing is getting out of hand

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #4163 on: March 20, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
Also, what kind of idiot doesn't think Google can't scale up their hardware much faster than me or Sony?

I mean.. they can't really do it faster than MS.  MS is more experienced in that area and alread has more datacenters / a bigger infrastructure.

But yeah, Sony is a pawn.

I mean, in terms of continually upscaling the hardware the games are running on. Instead of just iterating a fews years in between.

Fat chance this will catch on enough to justify hardware upgrades across the world in data centers for more 1337 graphics that quickly.

People have really unrealistic expectations of game streaming.

I would be surprised if the stadia "module" even exists as an actual thing and not just a deferment of existing resources.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4164 on: March 20, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4165 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:14 AM »
why am i talking about gamez

doxx me benji

(just kidding)

---

Isn't twitter often acredited for Trump's victory?

:derp

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4166 on: March 20, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
Fat chance this will catch on enough to justify hardware upgrades across the world in data centers for more 1337 graphics that quickly.

People have really unrealistic expectations of game streaming.

I would be surprised if the stadia "module" even exists as an actual thing and not just a deferment of existing resources.

MS have already said that their xcloud solution is an xbox SOC blade (well, it seems like they're going to have multiple xbox SOCs on one blade), and the stadia isn't a SOC, its seperate components, so yeah... I don't see how an SOC is ever going to be more upgradable than just adding a newer GPU / more RAM / a newer CPU on a server blade is going to be.

e:
the actual 'killer app' of this shit compared to modern day console shittiness is they're using SSDs for errrrrrthing.
So while "good ole reliable physical disks" is going to be the same fucking shitty "Please wait an actual fucking hour while we copy data over because we're still pretending physical disks are more convenient for some reason" and then you're playing off the cheapest RPM HDD the console manufacturer could buy in bulk, that shits going to be instantaneous streamed.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:25:31 AM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #4168 on: March 20, 2019, 10:25:49 AM »
I still don't understand how Zoe Tiberius Quinn was even ever a thing, or any of those other people I'd never heard of before or since and still don't know the names of because they didn't write a memoir that goes on for chapters about how they have mental issues which means nothing is their fault ever.

Also, I've mentioned before that I think her birth name of Chelsea Van Valkenburg is way a better name than Zoe Tiberius Quinn.

benjipwns

« Reply #4169 on: March 20, 2019, 10:27:40 AM »
Twitter is not an accredited university, same as Trump University was not accredited.

Happy to help.

Drainage

« Reply #4170 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »

marrec

« Reply #4171 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:25 AM »

Goddess Mode is a good book Benji

I've been a sucker for magical girl since Sailor Moon tho

Also, her twitter is funny.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4172 on: March 20, 2019, 10:33:48 AM »
Twitter is not an accredited university, same as Trump University was not accredited.

Happy to help.

Why are you making fun of italians?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4173 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:08 AM »
I personally think you guys both have it kind of backwards.  These Xbox SOCs are heavily optimized from every standpoint, inckluding cost and production rates.   

Either way the cost of upgrading is immense because to be "fair" we are talking about upgrading an array of datacenters across the world all at once, unless you want to create tiers of power for different users, which is possible.  Still super expensive either way, and I don't see how or why the Xbox SOC which MS puts into 10s of millions of pieces of hardware already and has absolute miniscule costs to produce because of that will be more expensive than what google is using.

an Xbox SOC is designed for MS to make as much cash as possible reselling it to an end consumer.
A cloud compute server is designed to be as good as possible, and to be run continuously, spinning up as many instances as it requires to mitigate downtime.
the line between GPU and CPU is extremely thin nowadays; GPUs are extremely good at computing the same thing over and over again, CPUs are extremely good at computing multiple different things without knowing what is going to be involved in advance.
Like, the reason consumer GPUs went up in price is because a thing they can do really well - redoing the same calculation over and over again - is literally whats involved in bitcoin mining, not pushing graphical envelopes.

Google wouldn't bother doing this if high end GPUs were literally only of use to AAA gamers; unused compute time for GPUs is going to be doing machine learning tasks until someoen wants to rent it to play some vidya.

Boredfrom

« Reply #4174 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:44 AM »
So many high and middle profiles Kickstarters for games went off rails in that manner, it's not really surprising really and calling it a scam (without any more info) is maybe hyperbole (I'd rather reserve that for Star Citizen).

What was that Vice promotional trailer for then? If she was working on it she should at least show some progress on it...

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4175 on: March 20, 2019, 10:36:21 AM »
I personally think you guys both have it kind of backwards.  These Xbox SOCs are heavily optimized from every standpoint, inckluding cost and production rates.   

Either way the cost of upgrading is immense because to be "fair" we are talking about upgrading an array of datacenters across the world all at once, unless you want to create tiers of power for different users, which is possible.  Still super expensive either way, and I don't see how or why the Xbox SOC which MS puts into 10s of millions of pieces of hardware already and has absolute miniscule costs to produce because of that will be more expensive than what google is using.

an Xbox SOC is designed for MS to make as much cash as possible reselling it to an end consumer.
A cloud compute server is designed to be as good as possible, and to be run continuously, spinning up as many instances as it requires to mitigate downtime.
the line between GPU and CPU is extremely thin nowadays; GPUs are extremely good at computing the same thing over and over again, CPUs are extremely good at computing multiple different things without knowing what is going to be involved in advance.
Like, the reason consumer GPUs went up in price is because a thing they can do really well - redoing the same calculation over and over again - is literally whats involved in bitcoin mining, not pushing graphical envelopes.

Google wouldn't bother doing this if high end GPUs were literally only of use to AAA gamers; unused compute time for GPUs is going to be doing machine learning tasks until someoen wants to rent it to play some vidya.

this guy fucks

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4176 on: March 20, 2019, 10:36:29 AM »
Maybe Marrec can also digitally multitask in the analog.

KarpalaJoe

« Reply #4177 on: March 20, 2019, 10:40:33 AM »
This "Ilikefeet" member is a known pedo apologist. Weird to see him talking about what's "toxic" and what's not.

On an other subject, I just noticed how people on Resetera will just eat up everything said in the mainstream medias or presented in a documentary without even thinking about it.

Documentary about MJ being a pedo without any proof. Resetera : "MJ is a pedo, watch the documentary".
Media says Pewdiepie wears Himler googles, he's a nazi. Resetera : "Pewdiepie is a nazi, read the threadmark".
Leftist medias says Petterson is a white suprematist. Resetera : "Petterson is a problematic person and should die". 

They're clearly not thinking for themselves. I don't like the term that much, but I think "NPC" fit them very well. It also goes along with the fact that they'll ban you for "media demonizing" if you criticize a journalist awful work or bias.

I noticed that when someone brought up some thought about how, maybe, the media could lie or use their power to bend the truth a little. The people on Resetera react like you just insulted their dead little sister... It also explains why they hate conspiracy theories with a passion and will label anyone that disagree with them as a flat-earther.

benjipwns

« Reply #4178 on: March 20, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »

god dammit

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4179 on: March 20, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »

You mean incredidlty cheap?  How is that... not what I just said?  Are you a GPU?

Stadia is going to dedicate a GPU to each player though;  this isn't like nVidia Tesla or even Grid.  They did not indicate at all that these GPUs would be available fo ML workloads.

Dedicated instance, not dedicated GPU.

BisMarckie

« Reply #4180 on: March 20, 2019, 10:45:21 AM »

I don't understand this reference  :-\

marrec

« Reply #4181 on: March 20, 2019, 10:45:42 AM »
You laugh but who will be laughing when you need to digitally multitask in the analog hmm? Zoe Quinn that's who.

jorma

« Reply #4182 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:09 AM »

But people are actually playing - and enjoying - star citizen, so how is that the scam compared to a game where the announcement about it being abandoned was buried in a tweetchain about a completely different game? I don't get the math here.

Boredfrom

« Reply #4183 on: March 20, 2019, 10:46:10 AM »

I've been a sucker for magical girl since Sailor Moon tho

Also, her twitter is funny.

It cannot be worse than Madoka Magica.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4185 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:12 AM »
You laugh but who will be laughing when you need to digitally multitask in the analog hmm? Zoe Quinn that's who.

all the way to Japan with $85k

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4186 on: March 20, 2019, 10:51:18 AM »
the only thing zoe quinn can multitask with is both hands and the refridgerator

BisMarckie

« Reply #4187 on: March 20, 2019, 10:54:03 AM »
Matt Rorie da gawd can simultaneously ignore the chat and the conversation in the room. :rejoice

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4188 on: March 20, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »
They did not indicate that they are doing any GPU virtualization (ala Grid);  it's a dedicated GPU.

they haven't actually elaborated either way AFAICS, they just claimed it was 'elastic' which would seem to imply more that it is utilised as needed than not.
Like... even a consumer PC playing a AAA vidya on one monitor can still hardware decode a netflix stream on another.

benjipwns

« Reply #4189 on: March 20, 2019, 10:58:39 AM »

I don't understand this reference  :-\
plenty of copies still available!

i can't find the other picture where it's like a hundred copies of the four issues released at the time just sitting at the end of a shelf :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4190 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:35 AM »
That's quite different from GPU virtualization.

You are right though, we'll need to wait for more info.. but IMO, the way they announced it.. this is a dedicated AMD GPU not virtulized "instances" across some more powerful GPU.

When they showed it being "elastic" they showed adding multiple instances together (like multi-GPU compute), using literal hardware boxes.. that is not how you describe virtualization.

sure, in terms of the methodology being employed.
In terms of an end user experience, and of having a business model where you can have more than one customer utilising the same hardware concurrently.... is it though?

e:
Like, 5 people using the same GPU, one to play AAA ShootBang at ULTRAHARDCORE, the other 4 playing Candy Crush Battle Royale... it doesn't actually matter if they're using a GPU virtual machine or if updating the 2D sprites in 4 peoples games happens in the alternating frames of another players game.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4191 on: March 20, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
Dedicated instance, not dedicated GPU.

They did not indicate that they are doing any GPU virtualization (ala Grid);  it's a dedicated GPU.

They literally showed they could pull together four of them together in one instance.

i dont care about this stop roping me in!

:rage

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4192 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »

But people are actually playing - and enjoying - star citizen, so how is that the scam compared to a game where the announcement about it being abandoned was buried in a tweetchain about a completely different game? I don't get the math here.

:trigger

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=43642.0

spoiler (click to show/hide)
In general I would try to restrict "scam" to stunts with clear intent to defraud backers of their money. Star Citizen would not qualify here but considering how long they've been at it (alongside a permanent and aggressive crowdfunding campaign) I think at this point any promise they make (on delays or features) are maliciously false of they should very well know they cannot keep them. Besides we're on a totally different realm money wise.

Quinn's Kickstarter looks like another occurrence of a regular pattern. I wouldn't call it a scam unless there's evidence she never intended to deliver, that some funds were misallocated or appropriated or of severe mismanagement. Which there may well be, I didn't look into it very deeply. Either way, it's certainly fair to consider it a mark on her record even without nefarious motives.

That said : she got 80k+$ (double the target, apparently), the project is dead, Tingle was not as involved as possibly portrayed and has nothing to show for it. So I see why some could suspect such.
[close]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:17:58 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4193 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »
This conversation wasn't about the end user experience of gamers.  I doubt they will be lending unused power to ML tasks.

A setup where more power can be added as required from additional GPUs would seem to also suggest the reverse possibility, and letting an under utilised GPU be used for more than one task  :idont

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4194 on: March 20, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
Counterpoint that might be distinguished mentally-challenged: doesn't stadia open up indie development to make games beyond retro throwbacks now that they don't have to target absolutely base level shitty systems to reach the widest population of players?
Three reasons to make games that run on toasters: Nostalgia, lack of technical ability, and lack of manpower. Stadia isn't going to change these factors. 

I still don't understand how Zoe Tiberius Quinn was even ever a thing, or any of those other people I'd never heard of before or since and still don't know the names of because they didn't write a memoir that goes on for chapters about how they have mental issues which means nothing is their fault ever.
By becoming a symbol for unrelated grievances, i.e. a lightning rod in the culture wars (and leaning into it to some extent). Some hate her guts (for what she supposedly represents), some hate her haters (for what they supposedly represent). Round and round it goes. /shrug

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4195 on: March 20, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
Not really;  that requires virtualization.   If a game is only using 60% of a Stadia GPU that other 40% is still only available to the OS instance of the game.. you aren't going to be throwing ML tasks onto that.

Right now I can run several virtual OSs on my PC, but I can't virtualize my GPU because I'd need specific hardware from AMD/nVidia (or Intel I guess) to do that.

I mean... given what the actual implementation is hasn't been discussed, I'm not gonna argue about it, but you can assign multiple tasks to a GPU right now without virtualisation based on how many cores are being used, and have a game running while also doing bitcoin mining or video encoding on an unused GPU core.

Regardless, the MS solution is a SOC, so upgrading that means throwing away the old SOC and replacing it with a newer one. Google are just gonna be able to add a new GPU and say "Y'all just got that Pro X upgrade" and not have to give a fuck about supporting people on older hardware, which MS will never be able to do until a generational refresh.

MSs XCloud is always going to be limited by the fact that they have consumer hardware that they have to support; an entirely streaming service can at a whim upgrade everyone (or upgrade hardware and turn 4 people running a 720p stream at max bells and whistles into 8 people running a 720p stream at max bells and whistles)

thetylerrob

« Reply #4196 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:15 AM »
Matt Rorie is more coherent than Ben or Jason

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #4197 on: March 20, 2019, 11:22:24 AM »

Regardless, the MS solution is a SOC, so upgrading that means throwing away the old SOC and replacing it with a newer one. Google are just gonna be able to add a new GPU and say "Y'all just got that Pro X upgrade" and not have to give a fuck about supporting people on older hardware, which MS will never be able to do until a generational refresh.

Yup.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4198 on: March 20, 2019, 11:24:29 AM »
Google is the Dominion. PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo need to be the Federation Alliance and push back together.

Nintendo are the Betazoid, MS are the Ferengi and Sony are the Romulans I guess?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4199 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
How do you know they can't stack their SOC?    We don't know that (and I already mentioned this in another post although not sure you saw my edit.)

The Xbox One X isn't a stacked Xbox One SOC, and if they coulda done that, they woulda done that