Author Topic: GRRM x From = Elden Ring  (Read 43966 times)

Svejk

Re: GRRM x From = Elden Ring
« Reply #660 on: April 18, 2022, 10:38:14 AM »
I will go buy the PC version of this game right now if someone will mod the Frenzied Flame Tower to, when it's spreading Madness, they mod in Macho Man's face for the meter icon.  And when the flame bursts, it yells OOOOOOHHHH YEEEEAAHHH!!! and DIG IT!!

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #661 on: April 18, 2022, 01:27:06 PM »
I like where your head's at but hear me out, what if the Madness meter was a Slim Jim?
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #662 on: April 18, 2022, 03:03:14 PM »
I like where your head's at but hear me out, what if the Madness meter was a Slim Jim?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #663 on: April 18, 2022, 06:44:51 PM »
goddamn it, I missed picking up the Bolt of Gransax and now I can't :(

you can blast through NG+ to this point in a few hours
◕‿◕

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #664 on: April 18, 2022, 07:14:38 PM »
Beat Malenia on the first try (then died a second later due to rot lol).  STILL COUNTS!

140 hours in, level 156. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #665 on: April 19, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
Done.  Did the three achievements endings.  Honestly one of my favorite games. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #666 on: April 19, 2022, 07:10:39 PM »
My only complaint is that the bosses were not nearly as well fine-tuned as darksouls bosses on the whole.  It felt like you had to use summons for so many of them. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: April 19, 2022, 10:26:01 PM »
You don’t have to use summons on any bosses, you could just spend 5-10 hours searing all their attack patterns into your brain instead.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #668 on: April 19, 2022, 10:43:45 PM »
I watched a streamer do just that, and you could tell how frustrating it was compared to her other Souls playthroughs.  The bosses in Elden Ring, especially at the end, just really punish you for healing and have some pretty spammy attacks if you are doing solo.

« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2022, 10:59:51 PM »
I didn't know that you could save and reload to get the different endings lmao. I'm on my third playthrough to get the third ending.

Polident Hive

« Reply #670 on: April 19, 2022, 11:07:53 PM »
afaik you can’t in game. On PS5 it was uploading and downloading the cloud save.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: April 20, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »
afaik you can’t in game. On PS5 it was uploading and downloading the cloud save.

Similar on Xbox, except you can't manually backup your save, so you had to hard-close the game after each ending, and delete your local save.
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #672 on: April 20, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »
The new patch makes the Malenia fight even worse lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
She now regains health during various attacks even if she doesn't touch you
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #673 on: April 20, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »
As long as they kept the bird farm running, it's all good.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #674 on: April 24, 2022, 02:49:01 PM »
Not sure if it’s my imagination but based on how long it takes to get summoned it seems like the player count is dropping

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #675 on: April 24, 2022, 04:33:04 PM »
Probably, but doesn't it also have a +- 10 levels restriction when playing with randos?  Like I stopped getting summoned as soon as I got overleveled. 

Svejk

« Reply #676 on: April 24, 2022, 05:24:59 PM »
Radahn down.  Interesting fight.  Totally hung back and just laid down arrow fire.  It took a minute to register that he was skating around on a mini limp horse. :lol Where do they come up with this stuff?

Bird farm still works, but it definitely doesn't run off as easy now.  Still the same amount of XP though.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #677 on: April 25, 2022, 10:44:47 AM »
Radahn down.  Interesting fight.  Totally hung back and just laid down arrow fire.  It took a minute to register that he was skating around on a mini limp horse. :lol Where do they come up with this stuff?

Bird farm still works, but it definitely doesn't run off as easy now.  Still the same amount of XP though.

If you read the item lore, he learned gravity magic for the sole purpose of being able to continue riding his beloved horse, Leonard. :rejoice
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #678 on: April 25, 2022, 01:06:04 PM »

Snoopycat_

« Reply #679 on: April 25, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
Probably, but doesn't it also have a +- 10 levels restriction when playing with randos?  Like I stopped getting summoned as soon as I got overleveled.

Yeah, it does. I’ve got a lvl 40 character which is about right for Godrick. Used to get summoned within seconds now it’s easily 5 minutes or longer

BrokenVerses

« Reply #680 on: April 25, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »
This game is insanely long. I was past the 80 hour mark when I finally got through Royal Capital.

Svejk

« Reply #681 on: April 25, 2022, 08:17:52 PM »

If you read the item lore, he learned gravity magic for the sole purpose of being able to continue riding his beloved horse, Leonard. :rejoice

This game is insanely long. I was past the 80 hour mark when I finally got through Royal Capital.
It'll be the end of Summer by the time I finish this game.  I'm 65 hours in and still not done with Caelid.
 :dead

Himu

« Reply #682 on: April 27, 2022, 04:39:24 PM »
This game is the best rpg in ages. Incredible work. I'm stuck and that's rad and part of the fun.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 04:47:59 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #683 on: April 27, 2022, 05:13:44 PM »
I’m over 100 hours in with no end in sight for my first playthrough.  Normally that kind of game size would turn me right off, but my explorer boner hasn’t been this hard for a game since Breath of the Wild.  God tier game world by From.

boss fights can be kind of shit though :/
[close]

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #684 on: April 27, 2022, 06:58:24 PM »
https://www.trueachievements.com/n49459/elden-ring-endings-xbox

Ranni's ending is the most popular across all platforms. :uguu
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #685 on: April 28, 2022, 12:03:53 PM »
This game is the best rpg in ages. Incredible work. I'm stuck and that's rad and part of the fun.
Was wondering/hoping you'd be on this.  :)

Svejk

« Reply #686 on: May 01, 2022, 02:36:57 PM »
Going full swing through Ranni's quest right now ...  :whoo

Just got past..
Phantom Blaaid.  He was giving me a bit of a hard time, but I found a nice cheese method of luring him behind the coffin to the left when you first enter that chamber.  At the right angle, he can't walk or attack past it so I just jump attacked the shit out of him.  About to trek across the giant rot pool/lake.
[close]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2022, 02:41:28 PM by Svejk »

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #687 on: May 02, 2022, 03:20:25 AM »
Ok.

Leyndell, Royal Capital is the most impressive area From has ever crafted tbh

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Svejk

« Reply #689 on: May 06, 2022, 11:03:29 AM »
Wow... Astel can kiss my ass.  I'm clearly doing something wrong, cuz I can't get it's health down any more than a quarter.   I'm level 109 too.  I watched some videos and don't see how everyone's lock-on seems more zoomed out than mine and dodge it's AOE attacks so perfectly.  Guess I'll attemp this again later on.  Was feeling quite confident, but that boss shat on it.  Guess it's time for me to trek on up to the northern Altus plateau area.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #690 on: May 06, 2022, 04:51:42 PM »
I'm around level 55 or so and I want to head to the capital after completing the Academy and the Manor but the boss that blocks the 'cowards path' is kicking my ass in one of those crazy difficulty spikes.
Guess my options are to either grind, use the warp and go from the back to the front or try Caelid.  :doge
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #691 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:25 PM »
Caelid south before capital is the most common path.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #692 on: May 06, 2022, 11:54:20 PM »
I didn’t even know that was the cowards path, I just knew those red caves on the map had upgrade materials and ended up doing him around that level with the bloodhounds curved sword thing my first play through.  Use the pillar in the center of the room to block his charge attack in the first phase and then just get behind his legs for the second phase and dodge his big slow attacks, took me 5 or 6 tries but it was doable.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #693 on: May 07, 2022, 04:43:48 AM »
The finger reader on the destroyed bridge tells you the two paths to the capital and mentions the canyon is the cowards path.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #694 on: May 07, 2022, 12:18:23 PM »
Don't let those old lady's bully you. 

Svejk

« Reply #695 on: May 08, 2022, 01:18:51 PM »
Trying to decide whether to head inside the Capital or venture NW towards Volcano Manor area... Need to get the map there still, so it makes me want to tackle it first.  Was intimidated with taking on two Tree Sentinels at once entering the capital, but trying my mimic +5 for the first time, we took them down with ease. 

Also took down Godskin tubby near the Volcano Manor.  Really dig that area.  Has more a condensed Souls vibe there..

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #696 on: May 08, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
I'm making some decent progress in South Caelid. This really shows how much you progress in the game.
Back when I first visited I got mauled by the first enemy. Now I can murder packs of them.

Lots of great gear to find in this area too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:28:39 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Kevtones

« Reply #697 on: May 10, 2022, 04:09:00 AM »
So I’m not great at this game despite being a Souls vet. That said, I beat Godskin dude in the windmill town on my first try.

I got to the infamous duo tonight and… beat it on my first try without much concern. Like what?

I didn’t even get hit very much and their moves were pretty slow. I took down the big dude and it honestly takes awhile to respawn to the point I was able to whittle down skinny.

Level 114. I guess my bleed build is pretty good.
wrong

« Reply #698 on: May 11, 2022, 12:14:30 AM »
they weren't that hard. i think a lot of people in the early days of the game rushed through and ended up being a little under powered or under-skilled for the later game bosses.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

paprikastaude

« Reply #700 on: May 11, 2022, 05:48:37 AM »
 :neo

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #701 on: May 11, 2022, 09:11:46 AM »
©@©™

Let's Cyber

« Reply #702 on: May 11, 2022, 10:33:19 AM »
After running spears and greatswords for 80% of the game, switching to Dex weapons is bonkers.

Sacred Blade's start up on a Greatsword is like 10x longer than Moonveil's weapon art. Rivers of Blood is in another universe for DPS.

Corpse Piler  :titus

Svejk

« Reply #704 on: May 11, 2022, 05:38:23 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #706 on: May 13, 2022, 03:13:24 PM »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #707 on: May 15, 2022, 02:57:21 AM »
Finally sat down and started this.
Game is weird, not really knowing what I'm doing compared to other souls games. Just exploring around. Played like 3 hours.

I fought some cave madman who was super easy at the start. Then I got the summons and fought the 2 demi-dudes with adds in the coastal cave and beat them. Then I got to the roundtable and beat the red phantom guy there. Then I fought and beat Margrit the Fall because summons are so cheap. Lvl.19 now after getting his souls. Gonna explore around some more before going into the castle.

Horse feels kind of cheating? Because you can just run through sections to the next save point?
Summons feel super cheating. Basically Souls games were always like co-op = ez mode because the bosses were too dumb to target more than 1 person at a time and you just hit them in the back and avoid back attacks every so often. Summons are like that without having to wait for humans who will probably just fuck up anyhow. Like you can just not use summons and play like normal Souls games learning & beating the bosses, but gonna be so hard not to just spam summons after a couple deaths.

Since the game is so non-linear I have no idea when I'm supposed to fight bosses which I'm not sure I like. Even Margrit's 2nd half felt like I was doing very little damage with my +2 samurai sword (started as a samurai this run) though on the 1st half the damage seemed a lot more decent? There was also a black knight on a horse boss on the bridge at night that I was doing very little damage to and was basically just playing poke tactics on my horse of drive by stab and runs for a bit until I got bored and gave up.

Having trouble finding save points sometimes. Like I explore from the starting camp south across the bridge to the waypoint ruins and then even more south to the fort there which I infiltrated and got a large stabby sword and I didn't find a single save point until I crossed the bridge to the southern peninsula. Like I'm sure there were save points since there are tons of save points elsewhere, but it's so open I figure I'm missing them. Is there a way to tell if there's any save points nearby?

What's the best way to get smithing stones to upgrade early level weapons? I noticed the soldiers drop them on rare occasions. Otherwise I bought all 4 from the coastal merchant and found a few else in the world.

Also I'm not sure how I'm feeling about the open world from an art design variety perspective. Souls games were pretty varied area by area, but this whole Limgrave or whatever area just kind of all looks the same with some caves and coasts. Very large area without not a lot of visual variety.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #708 on: May 15, 2022, 03:54:38 AM »
Variety will come in due time for you.  In Breath of the Wild terms, Limgrave is the great plateau.

Running mines are probably your best bet for early smithing stones outside of buying them at shops.

Bebpo

« Reply #709 on: May 15, 2022, 05:33:00 AM »
Yeah, I started finding some really nice looking areas already. Stormveil castle, Smoldering place, the underground river, etc...

Game has better graphics than I expected. Definitely best looking souls game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #710 on: May 15, 2022, 06:07:43 AM »
What's the best way to get smithing stones to upgrade early level weapons? I noticed the soldiers drop them on rare occasions. Otherwise I bought all 4 from the coastal merchant and found a few else in the world.
In the tunnels and mines mostly but even those supplies are 'capped'.
Just buy them whenever Merchants have those in stock. Same with the Stonesword Keys.
Some of those bug upgrade things also carry them and they are scattered in the overworld, mostly around the edges of cliffs among skeletons on chairs and the ambushed merchant carts.

I found an optional boss about 50 hours in that dropped an item that allowed me to easily buy the lower level stones.

My main problem now is that I spend so many Ruins leveling Int so I could weild more special weapons and use different spells that my HP is seriously lacking.  :doge
🤴

Let's Cyber

« Reply #711 on: May 15, 2022, 08:32:18 AM »
What's the best way to get smithing stones to upgrade early level weapons?
On your map, there will be black spots with an orange outline. There is usually one or two in every main area. These are mining caves with smithing stones and upgrade materials.

Nevermind, Nintex beat me.  :P

Summoning can feel busted mostly because most of the early bosses are relatively easy. Later on is a different story and weaker summons will just be fodder. There is more than a few Ornstein and Smough situations or just overpowered bosses in late game that really feel like they were balanced for co-op or summon. And even then they are a challenge. I was well into the 4th area feeling like the game wasn't that hard...then I suddenly I ran into 2 or 3 bosses in a row that just wrecked my shit. A major wall for me were the
Valiant Gargoyles
[close]
boss fight.

Svejk

« Reply #712 on: May 15, 2022, 01:20:24 PM »
For someone who has very little time to play, and the game being so massive, the spirit summons are a blessing to me so far.  I need to move on, cheesing a boss or no .. there's always gonna be more tougher ones.  It's staggering how many bosses/creatures/enemies this game has... even when they repeat. 

That being said, as enthralled as I am with ER, it does make me appreciate the more focused and condensed Souls games... Open world games are crack cocaine to me... And it works in this Souls formula, but like BOTW, it does so many awesome things right, but feels slightly thinned out to missing some marks.  It's hard to put my finger on it what it is exactly... It's not glaring idiocy like easily breakable weapons and the inability to climb in shrines in BOTW, but more underlying issues, like balancing and rune distribution..
Granted, with a game this massive, it's still an extremely impressive feat they've compiled. 

Anywho, wrapping up Volcano Manor area.  Really like that area for some reason.. around every bend is screen shot worthy... Not that it's massive, but the art direction seems to be better thought out. 
LV 125 roughly.  Still using the N&F sword until getting.... Something else. Lol not sure yet. 

Here's a few recent screen snags...

[close]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:42:11 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #713 on: May 15, 2022, 03:17:47 PM »
Should you do everything in an area before moving to the next, or are there bosses, sections within an area that can be much higher level so you should leave them alone until later?

Basically is everything in an area i.e. Limgrave generally made for the same levelish?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #714 on: May 15, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
Should you do everything in an area before moving to the next, or are there bosses, sections within an area that can be much higher level so you should leave them alone until later?

Basically is everything in an area i.e. Limgrave generally made for the same levelish?
It depends on the area but overall there should be plenty of things to do that are the same level.
It's usually the optional catacombs and caves that have enemies that are stronger or simply enemies on the field that should be avoided and have to be dealt with later.

I would've liked a better in-game log than just markers though, at some point you're sort of forced to write down things outside of the game to remember them.
There's also a lot of things that are tied into questlines that you get much later in the game.

Leveling isn't the only solution though, in some cases enemies have specific weaknesses and the summons work well too.

Biggest downside for me is that there's a lot of things that you can miss in the overworld. Especially in terms of NPC's and quests.
Not all of them stand out in the environment (some are even hidden on purpose). Sometimes I travel a road 3 times before spotting an NPC by the side of the road.

The other thing is that the lore is great but spread too thin and you hardly get stuff in order.
I think they should've taken that page out of BOTW's book as well by including some cutscenes to collect.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #715 on: May 15, 2022, 05:10:33 PM »
What about alliances? All these NPCs early on are asking for alliances before I've even met most of them. If you say yes are you locked in until NG+? The other souls games are like 20-30 hours so it's not a huge deal but this is a lot longer to be locked in by a choice in the first few hours.

Svejk

« Reply #716 on: May 15, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »

It depends on the area but overall there should be plenty of things to do that are the same level.
It's usually the optional catacombs and caves that have enemies that are stronger or simply enemies on the field that should be avoided and have to be dealt with later.

I would've liked a better in-game log than just markers though, at some point you're sort of forced to write down things outside of the game to remember them.
There's also a lot of things that are tied into questlines that you get much later in the game.

Leveling isn't the only solution though, in some cases enemies have specific weaknesses and the summons work well too.

Biggest downside for me is that there's a lot of things that you can miss in the overworld. Especially in terms of NPC's and quests.
Not all of them stand out in the environment (some are even hidden on purpose). Sometimes I travel a road 3 times before spotting an NPC by the side of the road.

The other thing is that the lore is great but spread too thin and you hardly get stuff in order.
I think they should've taken that page out of BOTW's book as well by including some cutscenes to collect.
I agree.. even just having a log of said npcs and their last spoken dialogue would be extremely helpful to keep track.  For example, I just went through my key item tab and realized I had quest items of people I completely forgot who they were.. that's all we're really given.  The markers are a bit obtuse too where it's a bit awkward to mark a reminder... A portal stone, the marker I use is the person walking.. but a door I can't open yet, I use the treasure chest. The torrent wind lifts, I use the plant looking thing.   Guess its better than nothing.. Thank goodness the NPCs show on the map though now.  They weren't there at launch, iirc.

Otherwise yeah, there'll be plenty of enemies and locations in areas to come back to later.  Just the other night, I finally did the sewer area of Stormveil and fought the boss down there.  I wouldn't stress it... Just like the story; stuff will unfold as you journey on with many of opportunities to venture back to areas.  Fast travel on PS5 is quite fast, so that makes it nice.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 05:14:57 PM by Svejk »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #717 on: May 15, 2022, 05:13:53 PM »
The most irritating thing about the game imo is the obtuse quest lines.

A quest log with hints on where NPC's are next etc would be a massive help, especially if you've gone off and done some other shit for hours
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #718 on: May 15, 2022, 05:18:13 PM »

A quest log with hints on where NPC's are next etc would be a massive help, especially if you've gone off and done some other shit for hours
It's like, the elusive nature of the lore and world building is great allowing you to piece stuff together slowly, but when there's so much open world distracttion and fighting (which isn't a bad thing), yeah, it just feels spread too thin... almost too big, I hate to say. 

Bebpo

« Reply #719 on: May 15, 2022, 05:32:12 PM »

From 6 hours in, the worst thing is that you still can't fucking compare armor in the shop to your armor.