Author Topic: E3 2019 Thread - Nintendevolver wins again, baybee!! 20 years in a row!!  (Read 89898 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: E3 2019 Thread - Nintendevolver wins again, baybee!! 20 years in a row!!
« Reply #1320 on: June 14, 2019, 07:20:33 PM »
Rah if you just say "I don't like cute shit" and let it end there without trying to write a thinkpiece to justify your sperglord tastes people will just accept it and move on, just sayin

But I don't play Pokemon and Smash Bros.

:drake

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1321 on: June 14, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
You don't have to look far to see just in what way Nintendo is better than most other publishers.

Take Super Mario for example.
For Nintendo the 'classic' Super Mario returns as Super Mario Maker 2. A fun game that allows you to build your own levels and on top of that Koji Kondo returns to do new music.

Now look at Battletoads
It looks ok-ish but is farmed out to some developer and doesn't much resemble Battletoads. Remember when Battletoads was one of those games that really pushed graphics and arcade technology?
Put an AAA+ budget behind it you cowards!

Finally we arrive at Commander Keen. Ugh, just ugh. Bad bethesda, bad.
And also don't forget Contra Rogue Corpse.

Nintendo might be pulling a lot of the same tricks but they deliver most of the time.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1322 on: June 14, 2019, 07:58:07 PM »
Games are a flawed storytelling medium even if there's a few pieces of gold. Go to the Classics section at your local bookstore instead, please.
No, games are a flawed cinematic storytelling medium.
I think there's a big difference.

Films are also a flawed storytelling medium if you use books as a direct comparison and a standard of how a story is told.

The problem is that while films sort of found their language and voice, videogames are still struggling with the idea that a "story" can be told in many different ways than what we're used to, mostly through cinema.

So while i agree with you that cinematic videogames ultimately come off as shittier versions of movies, as far as storytelling is concern, it doesn't speak to the storytelling potential of the medium itself.

And of course examples of this are abundant; environmental storytelling is a classic storytelling tool videogames excel at; another one is designing player agency (to the point where the choice itself is the storytelling) and so on and forth.

Of course if your only tool to tell a story, is to interrupt the player with a cutscene, you're playing the loser's hand.

Himu

« Reply #1323 on: June 14, 2019, 08:00:29 PM »
Yeah I also bought a Wii U for Bayonetta 2. Maybe I'll get Bayonetta 3 before the Switch is over. Oh boy one game like this every few years.

Devil's Third was hardly released in America and also crap. Fatal Frame V was digital only and in general the series has been worse off in Nintendos hand. At least in America.

Clearly representative of Nintendo's general output.

Don't play Fire Emblem so I know nothing about it. Only played the first one on 3DS briefly.

Sony also put out Knack, Gravity Rush 2, and Shadow Remake. So I guess by your metric, it's not all cinematic shooters either.

Yes they publish some things over now and then that appeal to me. Never said they don't. But Astral Chain and Xenoblade are not the connerstones of Nintendo's brand or lineup. Mario and the like are. If you want to say Sony is just one thing, you have to say Nintendo is just one thing.

"Oh but Xenoblade sells millions".

So do Gran Trusimo and MLB the Show. I guess Sony is also in the sim sports area. Somewhere Nintendo also isn't.

You have nothing but nothing system warriors arguments.

1. You mention Bayonetta and then add a slight "oh boy one of these types of games every few years!" Newsflash: the genre Bayonetta only pops up once every few years. There's only three series that are famous for that type of gameplay: Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, and Ninja Gaiden. DMC was dead for ten years (DmC doesn't count), NG has gone into hibernation. We just got DMCV this year. Bayonetta has kept the torch lit for that particular genre for years, this entire decade in fact. This hints at bias against Nintendo.

2. "Oh boy one one of these types of games every few years!" part 2 - you said Nintendo didn't have anything and that people were just mindlessly praising Nintendo for the Direct when this year alone Nintendo has Daemon x Machina, Astral Chain, AND Bayonetta 3 in its lineup. This shows you do not care about games themselves. You care more about systems.

3. Knack sucked. Shadow of the Colossus is a remake.

4. Do you play Sony sims like Gran Turismo and MLB The Show? Hasn't GT been usurped by Forza? Most think GT has slid extremely downward in quality. But you use that as an example while Fatal Frame games are bad?

5. Nintendo doesn't make sim games like MLB The Show or Gran Turismo, but they're the ONLY major publisher pushing arcade sports gameplay in the 2010's. Games like NBA Street, Virtua Tennis, SSX, Sega Rally are dead. Meanwhile, Nintendo has Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Kart 8, and recently put out Mario Sports Superstars - a compilation of various sports titles - on 3ds.

You are using list wars between companies and it's telling me you care less about good games and more about the platform. Do you play some of these games you're listing or are you using them as poker chips in system wars? That's like me using Nintendo being one of the few arcade sports developers out there as a case against Sony. I have only ever used Sony itself as an argument against Sony's own output showing I have no real horse in this race.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:06:52 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1324 on: June 14, 2019, 08:03:08 PM »
Games are a flawed storytelling medium even if there's a few pieces of gold. Go to the Classics section at your local bookstore instead, please.
No, games are a flawed cinematic storytelling medium.
I think there's a big difference.

Films are also a flawed storytelling medium if you use books as a direct comparison and a standard of how a story is told.

The problem is that while films sort of found their language and voice, videogames are still struggling with the idea that a "story" can be told in many different ways than what we're used to, mostly through cinema.

So while i agree with you that cinematic videogames ultimately come off as shittier versions of movies, as far as storytelling is concern, it doesn't speak to the storytelling potential of the medium itself.

And of course examples of this are abundant; environmental storytelling is a classic storytelling tool videogames excel at; another one is designing player agency (to the point where the choice itself is the storytelling) and so on and forth.

Of course if your only tool to tell a story, is to interrupt the player with a cutscene, you're playing the loser's hand.

Games are fine as storytelling medium. I've played many games that show that plainly. The problem is that games necessitate a need to be fun which hampers and limits it storytelling capabilities. Therefore, a good game story might not even have good gameplay. Silent Hill 2 has the best game story of all time and its gameplay is between serviceable and trash. On the other hand, a good movie story only enhances a good movie.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1325 on: June 14, 2019, 08:13:07 PM »
Games are fine as storytelling medium. I've played many games that show that plainly. The problem is that games necessitate a need to be fun which hampers and limits it storytelling capabilities. Therefore, a good game story might not even have good gameplay. Silent Hill 2 has the best game story of all time and its gameplay is between serviceable and trash. On the other hand, a good movie story only enhances a good movie.
I don't disagree with that, but i'd still consider that a problem of mostly cinematic games.
Silent Hill 2 does more than just funnel you into the next cutscene, as far as storytelling goes, but it's still very much unambitious when it comes to trying to break from the survival horror mold (SH2 is my favorite game, so i ain't even shitting on it), which is why the gameplay becomes serviceable at best, shit at worst, and it's still what i'd consider a cinematic game.

I think videogames interested in propelling forward good storytelling within the medium, should look into how games like DayZ or Civilization, or what have you, can tell a story through player's action, instead of trying to peg a square into a round hole, like most games do.
I'm not saying it's an easy solution to find, but it's where we should start looking for it.

That said, i am aware that most games are just fine being toys and nothing more; i don't think Guitar Hero cares that much about its storytelling, more than a carnival game of whack a mole would.

Himu

« Reply #1326 on: June 14, 2019, 08:25:55 PM »
I don't disagree with that, but i'd still consider that a problem of mostly cinematic games.
Silent Hill 2 does more than just funnel you into the next cutscene, as far as storytelling goes, but it's still very much unambitious when it comes to trying to break from the survival horror mold (SH2 is my favorite game, so i ain't even shitting on it), which is why the gameplay becomes serviceable at best, shit at worst, and it's still what i'd consider a cinematic game.

I think videogames interested in propelling forward good storytelling within the medium, should look into how games like DayZ or Civilization, or what have you, can tell a story through player's action, instead of trying to peg a square into a round hole, like most games do.
I'm not saying it's an easy solution to find, but it's where we should start looking for it.

That said, i am aware that most games are just fine being toys and nothing more; i don't think Guitar Hero cares that much about its storytelling, more than a carnival game of whack a mole would.

I by no means think SotC has the best game story, but I do think it had the best example of storytelling through gameplay is best achieved. Few cutscenes, story is told visually and through gameplay. You see the Wanderer slowly becoming less human or dying the more he kills the giants. It's not in your face. There is no cutscene showing this, it's his model that changes throughout the game.

Another good example is Shenmue. Shenmue is cinematic and yet has a heavy gameplay focus and very, very few cutscenes. When you work, you don't see a cutscene of the Ryo working. You yourself also must work. This enhances the story because Shenmue is a martial arts quest about patience. So when Ryo is tasked with enduring a martial arts test on patience and will, the player, too, must also be patient.

Again, not saying they're the best game stories, but how they implement visuals, and use minimalism to tell the games story through game interaction is how I envision games as an interactive storytelling medium. The problem is that game players want fun. And as long as "fun" is the base barometer for a good game, game storytelling will never evolve.

My 2c.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1327 on: June 14, 2019, 08:34:29 PM »
Reading the last few pages of this thread  :doge

tldr; some people like oranges, some people like apples. Eat what makes you happy.
VIDEOGAMES :doge

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1328 on: June 14, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »
No my point in playing list wars was to make fun of brok's playing of list wars. "Well look in between making thier usual stuff, they did this". Pulling Devil's Third out of your ass, is just as bad as pulling Knack. If you want to just list everything such as Devil Third, then everything should be listed as well for Sony and when you do that it dosen't help your argument that Sony is just the same games over and over. My point has been that Sony's offerings are good, not just the same thing, and also provide things that you don't get from Nintendo. Nintendo dosen't actually have everything for everyone and it's possible to not care about thier games. They have a few off beat offerings every once in a while. That's it.

And yes Nintendo fans do mindlessly like Nintendo stuff.

Either way I don't care. I don't like Nintendo. I find most of thier offerings uninteresting and not because of whatever system they are on. I wouldn't care about Mario or Zelda if they were on the Xbox. If they were a 3rd party publisher, I’d view them like Ubisoft. Publishing the same types of games , with similar templates,  personalities , and whatever. With the occasional game I like.
'
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 08:41:07 PM by Rahxephon91 »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1329 on: June 14, 2019, 08:58:55 PM »
Real talk though: That Pokemon exclusion shit is dumb. I was going to buy a Shitch this year, but with them going "uh, we can't program 800+ Pokemon" I'm basically going "nah, bro."

I even got a Shiny Eevee/Pikachu code to suffer through Let's Go to transfer to Sword/Shield/Gun. Sadly, that isn't going to happen.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1330 on: June 14, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »
No my point in playing list wars was to make fun of brok's playing of list wars. "

Nobody else here is taking this shit seriously.  :lol  We're just engaging you.

Either way I don't care. I don't like Nintendo.

:stan

Cool.  Moving on.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1331 on: June 14, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
I mean you're the one listing trash games such as Devil's Third and poorly handled games like Fatal Frame V as "hey look at all the great things Nintendo is doing". Yet, I'm the one being accused of List Wars.

Please.

Nintendo has their little outliers here and there. Just like Sony does with stuff like Ratchet and Clank and Gravity Rush 2. Yet somehow Nintendo is a paragon of gaming. You Nintendo fans can't get off their dick.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1332 on: June 14, 2019, 09:19:48 PM »
I mean you're the one listing trash games such as Devil's Third and poorly handled games like Fatal Frame V as "hey look at all the great things Nintendo is doing". Yet, I'm the one being accused of List Wars.

Please.

I provided examples of so-called "adult" content.  Didn't say anything about quality.  Look how seriously you took even THAT, lmao.
:neogaf
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1333 on: June 14, 2019, 09:25:08 PM »
If Devil's Third is your example of "hey look Nintendo publishes stuff", then you should'nt claim Sony is just the same walking game or whatever you call them when they also make trash like Knack or Ratchet and Clank.

Here comes the usual "you're taking this too seriously" bs from people also posting on the same exact forum.

I'm typing in between waiting for FFXIV ques and eating a hamburger. I will forgot this the moment I leave to do something else and the E3 discussion will continue on. Probably more sucking off Nintendo. I'm not taking this seriously.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1334 on: June 14, 2019, 09:35:32 PM »
If Devil's Third is your example of "hey look Nintendo publishes stuff", then you should'nt claim Sony is just the same walking game or whatever you call them when they also make trash like Knack or Ratchet and Clank.

I provided examples of so-called "adult" content.  Didn't say anything about quality.
Nothing to do with the posts from yesterday.   :lol

Here comes the usual "you're taking this too seriously" bs from people also posting on the same exact forum.

...You're taking this too seriously.

I'm typing in between waiting for FFXIV ques and eating a hamburger. I will forgot this the moment I leave to do something else and the E3 discussion will continue on. Probably more sucking off Nintendo. I'm not taking this seriously.

...You're taking this too seriously. 

:)

ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1335 on: June 14, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
Hi

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1336 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44:32 PM »
Don't forget SIE's ASOBI division VR stuff.

Astro Bot Rescue Mission :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:rejoice
[close]
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1337 on: June 14, 2019, 09:44:34 PM »
Real talk though: That Pokemon exclusion shit is dumb. I was going to buy a Shitch this year, but with them going "uh, we can't program 800+ Pokemon" I'm basically going "nah, bro."

I even got a Shiny Eevee/Pikachu code to suffer through Let's Go to transfer to Sword/Shield/Gun. Sadly, that isn't going to happen.

Man thats a shame. Bye lmao

Why you distinguished mentally-challenged fellows comment like this as if it matters.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1338 on: June 14, 2019, 10:23:06 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1339 on: June 15, 2019, 12:33:11 AM »

I dont even know what this means lol

Tasty

« Reply #1340 on: June 15, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »

Spoiler: neither does he :doge

TIMU's an ardent genwunner lol. Stick to Let's Go bb.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1341 on: June 15, 2019, 12:40:53 AM »

https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/not-all-pokemon-will-transfer-to-sword-shield-1203241275/

“We knew at some point we weren’t going to be able to indefinitely keep supporting all of the Pokémon, and we just found that ‘Sword’ and ‘Shield’ would probably be a good point to go back and reevaluate,” Masuda clarified in an interview with USgamer. “It isn’t just going to be all-new Pokémon in the Galar region Pokédex; there’s still going to be a lot of favorites that fans will be able to bring over that they’ve adventured with previously.”

Outside of like Pikachu, Eevee, the Gen-1 starters, and like Mewtwo, the rest of them are currently in limbo on being able to be transferred over.

Which is pretty clown-shoes coding by Gamefreak. Given the output they've done over the years: I really shouldn't be surprised that they have piss-poor engine coders and the like.

Spoiler: neither does he :doge

TIMU's an ardent genwunner lol. Stick to Let's Go bb.

>Implying I haven't played the other gens
>Implying I don't keep up on the series

I know you have to fellate Nintendo's tiny Japanese dick every chance you get, but let's be honest: Gamefreak is fucking dumb.

>Finally reaches PS2 in terms of graphics
>Can't model 800 Pokemon
>Continues to pump out new Pokemon anyway instead of fixing series shit problems over the years

Really though: Nintendo needs to get the Pokemon Company back under them and then fire Gamefreak into the sun.

Tasty

« Reply #1342 on: June 15, 2019, 02:43:01 AM »
Yeah Pokemon needs to have its Monster Hunter World moment. Ever since the 3DS and X/Y things have been veering more and more off track IMO.

That said I'm dubious you'd ever use the feature you're feverishly complaining about being cut. :doge I mean, I have a living Dex, so that's gonna hurt, but for normies like yourself I'm sure whatever Pokemon you'd want is in there -- especially since, as a genwunner, pretty much all Kanto Pokemon are guaranteed at this point.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1343 on: June 15, 2019, 03:54:05 AM »
I thought Sun/Moon were well recieved?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1344 on: June 15, 2019, 04:02:54 AM »
Im sorry I didnt even know you could transfer pokemon across games, that seems pretty dumb actually but if there are realmy 800 then I get it why they cant just do it like that (look st polyphony and GT)

I thought every game is standalone.

I only played Red on the GB.

kingv

« Reply #1345 on: June 15, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »
I think it only applies in like post game battles so it’s not relevant to playing the story.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1346 on: June 15, 2019, 06:17:10 AM »
This Pokemon game looks pretty bad in some ways and is obviously rushed out.
However, the Switch offers both handheld and console-grade games it seems.

Something like Link's Awakening would've been the handheld Zelda, BOTW 2 the console Zelda.
Pokemon Sword Shield would've been the handheld holiday game with Luigi's Mansion as the console holiday game.
Gamefreak isn't going to suddenly build AAA+ console titles overnight. I mean, Fire Emblem looks good but not because of the visuals.

Imagine if Nintendo also had Animal Crossing, a Retro Studios game, Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 release this year as was the original plan.
Nintendo's line-up is this strong because we're finally seeing the handheld/console teams output combined on one system.

And unlike previous outings this wasn't even everything and the kitchen sink because the likes of HAL Labs and Monolith Software also have new games in development.
Notice how they didn't even need to announce SNES or N64 games or anything like that to fill up the gaps in their line-up.

There is no summer drought for the first time in Nintendo history.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #1347 on: June 15, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »

Sun/Moon were extremely solid and gave me hope they knew what they were doing, but there were still some worrying signs like Ultra Beasts, lack of postgame content, and an oversized focus on Gen 1 Pokemon and Kanto cameos. And in usual Gamefreak fashion they stripped features from the preceding game, only this time it felt much more substantial and the main story that much more dependent on cutscenes to keep players engaged rather than organic gameplay. And cutscenes and epic stories (legendaries aside) ain't ever really what Pokemon been about.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1348 on: June 15, 2019, 10:39:19 AM »
the pokemon franchise confuses me a bit. i often wonder if the way they keep pushing it along just enough that people keep buying the shit is a good strategy for keeping dev cost down. sure, they probably lose some of the more traditional player base. but do they care?

i remember back ~2003/4 and as wind waker/dragon quest viii came out i thought a more immersive pokemon console game was inevitable. if they did something that looked and played like sword and shield back then i prob would've been into it, but at this point eh, they'd have to really shake up the formula for me to care. it would be cool, but if they're still doing really well idk what motivation they have to do that.
◕‿◕

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1349 on: June 15, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
The original Little King's Story is the best adult video game. You play a dictator and you force people to fuck, so you can use their babies and train them as one of the classes.

Your kid is dead? Go fuck some more.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1350 on: June 15, 2019, 11:04:09 AM »
From my experience the pokemon audience is a different one than the traditional core. They care more about stuff like post game content than an immersive 3d world.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #1351 on: June 15, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »

Sun/Moon were extremely solid and gave me hope they knew what they were doing, but there were still some worrying signs like Ultra Beasts, lack of postgame content, and an oversized focus on Gen 1 Pokemon and Kanto cameos. And in usual Gamefreak fashion they stripped features from the preceding game, only this time it felt much more substantial and the main story that much more dependent on cutscenes to keep players engaged rather than organic gameplay. And cutscenes and epic stories (legendaries aside) ain't ever really what Pokemon been about.

Pokémon reddit in an uproar

dur

Himu

« Reply #1352 on: June 15, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
I don't "get" Poke'mon.

Well, I get it, but it's complicated.

I was an early adopter of Pokemon Blue so I was a part of the original Pokemon generation. I loved that one.

Didn't play GS because I thought it was GBC exclusive and didn't have a GBC. I opted to skip it anyways not knowing GBC games still play in regular but without color. RIP.

Skipped Pokemon all the way down to Black 2 which bored me to death. Ended up selling it.

Got X. I liked it. First Pokemon I beat since Blue.

Got Alpha Sapphire, and LOVED that game in ways I cannot explain. Like seeing Pokemon in the wild and having to sneak up on them. In the original catching Pokemon was my addiction and this took it to a whole new level. It also felt more difficult than the other Pokemon games I played. Not hard, but not as brain dead for some reason? Also loved the setting. LOVE THAT GAME.

Got Sun expecting it'd have the innovations Alpha Sapphire added like sneaking up on Pokemon and that incredible Pokemon scanner feature. Nope. Didn't get halfway.

I guess it's less I don't get it and more that the series is just all over the place for me. One entry I might love, the next one bores me to death despite basically being the same thing except not as good.

Basically every Pokemon should be Alpha Sapphire.

Rather than get Pokemon Switch I might just get Soul Silver.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1353 on: June 15, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
The appeal of Pokemon is two-fold:

1. Catching them all.
2. Being the best that ever was.

No series is perfect, and developers have to optimize for their target audience. You'd have a hard time convincing fighting game fans that visual fidelity is worth a 30fps hit, for instance.

In the case of Pokemon, an expansive world, cutting-edge graphics, and immersive story are and have always been secondary. We can speculate and pine for what may or may never be, but the reason Pokemon has endured is because Gamefreak have always prioritized those core tenets for the series.

With Sword and Shield, they're switching gears and taking a different tack. It doesn't matter whether you catch em all anymore, and it doesn't matter if you're the very best like no one ever was -- because honestly, what meaning does that have when your hands are tied so severely by what Pokemon you can even choose to compete with?

Maybe it will work out for them and the sacrifice of this portion of their current audience to draw in others will pay off. But I don't think it will pay off with Sword and Shield, which are clearly suffering from this gear change. Gamefreak just is not equipped to create a Xenoblade-esque world, but darn it, that's what they're gonna aim for! Horrific pop-up and clipping issues be damned!

Himu

« Reply #1354 on: June 15, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
An immersive world is why I liked Alpha Sapphire. I felt like I was really a Pokemon trainer in that one. That's what I want!
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1355 on: June 15, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »
Then you'll probably enjoy Sword and Shield.

Himu

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1357 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:24 PM »
I'm happy getting my poke fix from that Kickstarter mmo recently

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #1358 on: June 15, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »
Idk Tasty I think this Pokemon will be huuugeee for the franchise.

Himu

« Reply #1359 on: June 15, 2019, 06:13:31 PM »
It will be. I think they’re just talking of diehards.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1360 on: June 15, 2019, 06:20:50 PM »
never got in to pokemon  :doge just glad it makes nintendo lots of money  :D

Tasty

« Reply #1361 on: June 15, 2019, 07:58:51 PM »
Idk Tasty I think this Pokemon will be huuugeee for the franchise.

Yeah probably, Switch is selling gangbusters sooooo

I should be sad or upset that I'm personally losing one of my three evergreen series (AKA the only games I play regularly at all, which is now down to just Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing), but mostly I'm just weary. C'est la vie, and so be it.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1362 on: June 15, 2019, 10:13:26 PM »
I'm happy getting my poke fix from that Kickstarter mmo recently
what? which one?
每天生气

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #1363 on: June 16, 2019, 02:37:05 AM »

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1364 on: June 16, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
The Final Fantasy VII footage of Final Fantasy XV or w/e in Final Fantasy VII skins really made me appreciate Yu-sama keeping Shenmue III as authentic as possible.

paprikastaude

« Reply #1365 on: June 19, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
missed out on a psychonauts demo walktrhough

Himu

« Reply #1366 on: June 19, 2019, 02:09:08 PM »
missed out on a psychonauts demo walktrhough

Psychonauts 2! :hyper
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1367 on: June 19, 2019, 02:21:27 PM »
Jack Black & Tim Schafer fuck yesssssss
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #1368 on: June 19, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »
I'm just glad for a new 3d platformer that most likely isn't lame. :yeshrug

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1369 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:21 PM »
Same from the snippets Ive seen it looks amazing, but I havent played the first Psychonauts :(
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1370 on: June 19, 2019, 03:18:35 PM »
psychonauts should have been on gamecube! their biggest mistake!

Himu

« Reply #1371 on: June 19, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
I'm just glad for a new 3d platformer that most likely isn't lame. :yeshrug

Psychonauts’ strengths wasn't platforming though. It was adventuring, puzzles, and great classic Lucasarts dialogue. Its most famous level - the milkman conspiracy - is essentially a point and click adventure game level except they got rid of the point and click interface.

Hedging your bets on Psychonauts’ platforming pedigree is like playing 3d Fallout games because they’re basically first person shooters. Sure, you’re technically correct, but no one loved Psychonauts because it’s a 3d platformer.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:07:03 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1372 on: June 19, 2019, 04:18:33 PM »
Psychonauts is a game I can quote all day basically.

If it were made by Lucasarts, it would probably be my favorite game of theirs, even beating out Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle.

Raz: Where do you buy your clothes? I was wondering because my sister is really fat and has a hard time finding clothes that fit.

Kitty: WHAT?!

Raz: I said where can I find the Geodesic Psycho-Isolation Chamber?

Vernon’s fucking rants and stories, man.

VERNON MUST COME BACK.

Please don’t mention Psychonauts to Demi. He hates it. Bring up Advent Rising instead.

If I had an Xbone I would buy Psychonauts 2 on it. I got psychonauts originally on ps2 but it was far inferior to the Xbox version. I got my Xbox later in 2005 and got Raz’s Psycho Adventure on it and it was such a massive upgrade. I replayed it A LOT on Xbox until I eventually upgraded to pc so I have lots of nostalgia of Psychonauts being on Xbox the same way I do with Final Fantasy and Sony.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1373 on: June 19, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
psychonauts should have been on gamecube! their biggest mistake!

Nintendo should have bought DF and made Psychonauts GameCube exclusive, now Microsoft has Rare and Double Fine.
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1374 on: June 19, 2019, 04:31:30 PM »
Doublefine’s only good game to my knowledge is Psychonauts so I just don’t really care they were bought. Was their point and click adventure good at least?
IYKYK

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1375 on: June 19, 2019, 04:36:56 PM »
Stacking and Costume Quest are nice. Iron Brigade had good buzz as well.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1376 on: June 19, 2019, 04:39:50 PM »
Doublefine’s only good game to my knowledge is Psychonauts so I just don’t really care they were bought. Was their point and click adventure good at least?

star Trek DF9 was pretty good, but nobody bought it so they shitcanned it in early access

Himu

« Reply #1377 on: June 19, 2019, 04:43:47 PM »
Doublefine made a Star Trek game?!
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1378 on: June 19, 2019, 04:53:06 PM »
Doublefine made a Star Trek game?!

nah, but they were riffing on DS9 with calling it DF9.
I just checked and it is actually still available to buy, but is super buggy and incomplete and the reviews match that.
Shame, because it was pretty promising, although fully deserving of its 'early access' status

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1379 on: June 19, 2019, 05:06:35 PM »
Jack Black & Tim Schafer fuck yesssssss

Brutal Legend. Which sucked ass.