Author Topic: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN  (Read 38332 times)

Tasty

Re: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2019, 09:44:41 PM »
Guess it's time I confessed I never watched either Matrix sequel. Only the scene where Monica Bellucci makes out with Jada Pinkett Smith.

That's the game. :wag :wag :wag

I never played the game so I thought Wrath was just talking shit :lol

Niobe kisses Persephone in the game? Really? ::)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »
Guess it's time I confessed I never watched either Matrix sequel. Only the scene where Monica Bellucci makes out with Jada Pinkett Smith.

That's the game. :wag :wag :wag

I never played the game so I thought Wrath was just talking shit :lol

Niobe kisses Persephone in the game? Really? ::)

It's the same scene Neo does with her, basically. Just Jada does it for the Shiny (non-Path of Neo) game.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2019, 09:48:40 PM »
All three Matrix movies are good.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »

cinema full of cool black dudes but Larry Fishburne as Morpheus still top 10.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2019, 10:56:27 PM »
I feel like the truth is there’s a lot of people who have shit on them over the years who will be seeing this one in theaters just like all the others

spoiler (click to show/hide)
What if we’re the real matrix 4
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2019, 11:54:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Underrated moment: when he looks up and mutters quietly to himself for reassurance, "There is no spoon." A different (dumber) movie wouldn't have a moment like that...

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2019, 12:09:41 AM »

Underrated moment: when he looks up and mutters quietly to himself for reassurance, "There is no spoon." A different (dumber) movie wouldn't have a moment like that...

"He's beginning to believe..."

:uguu

kingv

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2019, 12:45:08 AM »
Pour one out for Assy.

Missing this pivotal moment and sharing it with his Boritos.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2019, 12:59:15 AM »
I wonder if they will bring back the Wachowski brothers for this too

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2019, 01:04:51 AM »
hard no thank you on this.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2019, 01:54:42 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2019, 04:49:45 AM »
I'm honestly surprised the series has been dormant and not in like Comic Books or anime. The Animatrix shorts showed that an anime series or deeper exploration into the Matrix/simulation itself could've carried the IP than the whole "Neo = God" thing.

I'm taking the piss here a bit but the derivative work is not needed when the originals already exist in those formats.

And really I don't think the Matrix really was very successful at fleshing its world all that well. That's not to shit on Animatrix who has some massive bits dedicated to that : they're not bad. But really I suspect the big draw is the whole "fake real world, computer shadow masters, hackers using reality cheats for cool fights" and there's only so much you can do with that. The characters are pretty meh especially all the fucking jobbers they added, the story off the monomyth shelf and Zion is a mixed bag (some of the robot design are cool).

Always had a massive soft spot for Carrie Anne Moss though so there's that.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:56:27 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2019, 06:44:52 AM »
Well, I'm more talking about the programs like the artist child in the third one. They kinda explored that in Reloaded, but didn't do much with it. The comics could actually flesh-out the world beyond what you just said: Cool fights, fake world, etc.

The Animatrix sort of did that with "the Second Renascence," but they could've dedicated an entire property (like... oh... the ill-fated MMO) toward building the world beyond the movie. Like, I remember the Japanese Matrix short (which had a girl character) but the movies don't even explain the other "servers," or another world. It's just a "generic world" that the main-three all came from.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2019, 07:02:51 AM »
Another toilet room thought : the Matrix universe is maybe weak because it was too "mystical", a kitchen sink of Reader's Digest philosophy and in a word too generic to really support a rich, vibrant and engaging cyberpunk universe. That's the problem of having a cookie-cutter Messiah protagonist and an elusive, abstract all powerful shadow master (well not so much a shadow master but a computer god, more or less). Which is all perfectly fine, mind you, but probably was good for one film as it turned out.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2019, 07:10:50 AM »
They just need to retccon 2 and 3 and move on from where the first movie ended or simply do a big reboot.

The movies worked better when the Matrix was an abstract and the machine world wasn't clearly defined. As soon as you had dudes in suits with mini guns shooting on the space squids the entire sense of wonder was gone.
Not to mention Neo as 'The One'  was pretty much invincible at the end of the first movie all the way to the final scene. Any sense of danger or challenge was swept away by him easily fighting 100's of Agent Smiths, which looked cool but felt empty.
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2019, 07:19:27 AM »
Another toilet room thought : the Matrix universe is maybe weak because it was too "mystical", a kitchen sink of Reader's Digest philosophy and in a word too generic to really support a rich, vibrant and engaging cyberpunk universe. That's the problem of having a cookie-cutter Messiah protagonist and an elusive, abstract all powerful shadow master (well not so much a shadow master but a computer god, more or less). Which is all perfectly fine, mind you, but probably was good for one film as it turned out.
The matrix was never supposed to be a rich universe, the wachowskis just wanted to reshoot some of their favorite anime sequences in live action  :idont

Tasty

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »
They just need to retccon 2 and 3 and move on from where the first movie ended or simply do a big reboot.

Oh, is that all?

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »
Matrix 4 is going to reveal that it isn’t AI subjugating humans, it is the wealthy elite exploiting the underclass. Agents aren’t AI, they’re humans with cheat codes enabled who are in the Matrix to monitor the prisoners, like jail wardens.
WDW

paprikastaude

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »
The whole "wink wink remember Matrix" in John Wick becomes weird now that Matrix actually isn't dead.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:23:47 AM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2019, 11:32:21 AM »
The Matrix is a lot like Star Wars in that you can tell literally any story set within that universe. It doesn't have to be tied to Neo/The One or even machines and breaking free. You can tell stories completely set within The Matrix with characters that don't know they're in The Matrix and have nothing to do with waking up, but keep the aesthetic. You can do comedy stories. You can do standard dramas. You can do cyberpunk. You can do horror. Literally any genre and style of story could be done under The Matrix banner.

Honestly, I agree, even if you're not being sincere. They could do a total in-the-Matrix film, give some hints about the world being weird. And then have the big-reveal be tied into the Matrix (you're in the Matrix, Neo) and that shit would be cool if done right.

Tasty

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
The whole "wink wink remember Matrix" in John Wick becomes weird now that Matrix actually isn't dead.

That must have been part of 2 and 3 which I haven't seen yet. Don't remember any Matrix callouts in the original.

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2019, 11:57:59 AM »
The Matrix is a lot like Star Wars in that you can tell literally any story set within that universe. It doesn't have to be tied to Neo/The One or even machines and breaking free. You can tell stories completely set within The Matrix with characters that don't know they're in The Matrix and have nothing to do with waking up, but keep the aesthetic. You can do comedy stories. You can do standard dramas. You can do cyberpunk. You can do horror. Literally any genre and style of story could be done under The Matrix banner.

Honestly, I agree, even if you're not being sincere. They could do a total in-the-Matrix film, give some hints about the world being weird. And then have the big-reveal be tied into the Matrix (you're in the Matrix, Neo) and that shit would be cool if done right.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's the direction they'll go in. :hmm

What's going to be really telling about this (before scripts leak/production starts/trailers come/etc.) is the budget. If it's $150 mil or less, we will already know this is going to be WAY less action-focused than Reloaded or Revolutions, which could be a good thing. Imagine a big budget, full-length version of your favorite Animatrix short. Could still be a great movie while avoiding retreading the original trilogy's ground.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2019, 12:18:32 PM »

What would be the fucking point then? Slap the Matrix label on it and hope that it helps not having a Wacho movie ultrabomb again?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »

Cant wait until the prequels are outed to be created by AI that tried to to replicate something true to Lucas vision and ideal Star Wars only to be rejected by humans who couldn't cope with that perfection

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2019, 12:40:01 PM »
cloverfield has rotted both your brains

Tasty

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2019, 12:47:52 PM »

What would be the fucking point then?

I mean, we're not lacking in scifi right now, but I welcome the additional stories and creativity possible with the IP.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »
I'd say the Matrix is a lot like Star Wars in that it's more important than it is good.
que

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »

What would be the fucking point then? Slap the Matrix label on it and hope that it helps not having a Wacho movie ultrabomb again?

The Matrix is a universe, a concept that can be applied to a wide range of stories and make something great. That was 'the fucking point' of the animatrix.

:comeon

They even built the idea of tons of previous versions of The Matrix into the lore.

I'm gonna say the proof is in the pudding that the potential wasn't really there because we never really got any of those stories. The franchise fizzled and sorta died beyond the initial push because the Matrix is more of a good concept than an actual fleshed living world. Stro bringing up Star Wars is very apt because it's the poster child of a fictional universe that would at first glance be an incredible base for all sort of stories but in reality is chained to the original characters, the Jedi, the lightsabers and a couple of other elements... And really outside of that, it's pretty one dimensional and simplistic.

The Matrix city isn't really interesting in itself, it's generic and it's the whole point innit, to be literally an empty, low level simulation and mirror image of the current day. It works incredibly well for what the first film sets to do but I really struggle to see it as a mysterious, exciting and engaging place suitable to many other stories. There's not really much else than "character realize world is fake", "character use that realization to activate god mode", "character fight the system". There's some elegant ways to do that, the Animatrix short "World Record" by Kawajiri / Koike explore a more relatable, concrete angle with the whole "breaking the limits" through sports (plus some unique visual flair)... Though it's sort of retread of another Kawajiri's work (The Runner in Manie Manie).

There's no unique design, no anticipation, there's no politics or geopolitics in the City : The Matrix, outside its visuals, is not really (or so much, to avoid the pointless definition debate) a Cyberpunk piece than a story about Faith and not the most complex one at that (the incredibly transparent character names are a testament to that).
The most interesting thing in the story IMHO, that's not quite well realized, is the realization come the second film that Morpheus is basically a religious nut and terrorist going on a prayer.

But heh, life and art is a string of pleasant surprises and that wouldn't be the first I'd be wrong about something.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:29:30 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
There are infinite cities, infinite people, infinite whatever. The Matrix as a concept isn't really tied to Neo specifically unlike the Star Wars saga being pretty heavily tied to the Skywalker family of nerds.

Infinite cities of nothing to keep human drones at the lowest possible level of stimulation.
ὕβρις

Rahxephon91

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2019, 07:03:24 PM »
It's not tied to Neo yeah. You could do plenty of "Twilight Zone" type stories about people in the Matrix and out.

You could use the Matrix world to tell stories about really anything. Explain super natural stuff. Tell a story about someone who was blind in the MAtrix, but not in the real world. Explore someone in the real world using the Matrix to create his ideal life. Tell stories about the human condition. The Matrix has an asthetic, a tone, a style, rules, and so on. Plenty of solid writing could happen. But I mean in comic books and whatnot. I can't think of an ongoing major story. It kind of is all about this chosen one narrative. Prequel stories are dumb and we already know that basically all the other ones did the same thing anyway. I don't know how you make a major conflict story past the machine war beyond radically changing things.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2019, 07:22:30 PM »
The first time I saw The Matrix, I thought that Trinity was supposed to be a transwoman because I misheard/misunderstood that scene in the club where Neo is like "I thought you were a man".
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »
turtles all the way down

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2019, 08:15:30 PM »
There are infinite cities, infinite people, infinite whatever. The Matrix as a concept isn't really tied to Neo specifically unlike the Star Wars saga being pretty heavily tied to the Skywalker family of nerds.

Except they're bringing back Neo and Trinity.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2019, 08:19:35 PM »

Well yeah but like....after that. Once the franchise is brought back they can go in a million directions, none of which have to do with Neo and Trinity, if it's a success and brings the franchise back to life. In the same way that Star Wars spin off movies COULD actually be spin off movies unrelated to Skywalkers or the Force.

Let's be honest, they won't.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2019, 08:24:54 PM »

I mean, that doesn't negate what he said: Star Wars is pretty much tied to the Skywalkers. The Matrix isn't tied to Neo and Trinity. They're bringing them back because they know that'll make bank. But there's nothing stopping them from attempting to do a Solo/Rogue One sort of side-story within the universe that DOESN'T involve Neo/Trinity/Morpheus.

The problem is WB didn't bother once the Wachowski's were done. Probably because they were money sinks for visual effects, probably because the Wachowski's forbided it (possible), or possibly because they didn't see anything with a script worth doing (which is partly why they're doing it now. The Wachowski sibling is interested in the script to do another one, same with Reeves and Moss).

Again: The Animatrix shows they could do many different things if they put their mind to it. Whereas, Star Wars is kinda trapped in the Sith/Jedi shit and can't break from that. I mean, it kinda did in Rogue One, but it still had "The Force" in it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2019, 08:40:34 PM »
Star Wars has a trilogy of short-story anthologies about bounty hunters, shady aliens at the cantina, and Jabba's palace, but none of that stuff will ever really make it into the movies [except maybe as an aside]. Disney only wants to drop $150-$200 million on something that seems like a sure bet, which means almost exclusively Jedi vs. Sith and Skywalkers. I'm not going to be surprised if WB feels pretty much the same about The Matrix.
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »
Is'nt the Rian Johnson Star Wars not going to be about the Skywalkers?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2019, 09:00:00 PM »
Is'nt the Rian Johnson Star Wars not going to be about the Skywalkers?

That's what they've said, and whatever the Game of Thrones guys are doing. I'll believe it when I see it, though.

The Mandalorian series looks like they're actually trying something new, hopefully that ends up being the case.
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2019, 09:10:12 PM »
star war sucks. keep trash in the trash thread pls  :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »

The Matrix certainly has a better ratio of hits-v-misses.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
the matrix rules, bih  8) unban assy, he'll explain  :pimp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2019, 11:14:33 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »

Occam

« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2019, 11:23:53 PM »

What do you mean? The Matrix is a standalone movie, and Star Wars consists of three movies. I wonder why they stopped making Star Wars after 1983, but maybe it's for the best.

Himu

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
original matrix is still a GOAT action movie :rejoice
IYKYK

thisismyusername

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2019, 12:10:06 AM »
I'm not going to be surprised if WB feels pretty much the same about The Matrix.

I mean, if that's the case: Why did they drop the money on Shiny (TWICE!), do an MMO with Monolith, do an anime short-story collection, etc right after the first film (and the sequels were starting up). It feels like they wanted it to be huge but after the fan reception of the sequels, they kinda got cold feet (despite the Wachowski's leaving could possibly be a good thing: The Animatrix wasn't really overseen by them. They basically got these anime big-hit dudes and said "do what you think would fit, we'll approve it mostly", and that turned out pretty good).

I don't think doing a smaller less money-sink Matrix budget film would be that big of a risk, but we're also talking of an industry (that like gaming) is too risk-averse anymore to actually bother attempting to do original things like the Matrix.

(And before people say "hurr durr Matrix ripped off a ton of shit,":

https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1164240403270270976

)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2019, 12:25:31 AM »

3/8 main star wars movies are good, 1/3 main matrix movies are good.

thisismyusername

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2019, 01:57:22 AM »

3/8 main star wars movies are good, 1/3 main matrix movies are good.

::)

wet. blanket.
◕‿◕

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2019, 02:02:33 AM »
cant keep living in the matrix brehs  :trumps

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2019, 02:23:35 AM »
"main movies" lolz

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2019, 02:54:26 AM »
1/3 and 3/10 isnt that different  :batman

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2019, 04:17:59 AM »
IT'S A ALLEGORICAL YOU FUCK

Well yeah. I'm glad we agree.  ;) Allegories in general are not (or less) conductive to living, breathing fictional worlds that live on their own.

Not sarcasm by the way I wished I could have worded it so succinctly.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 04:24:21 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »

It will be going forward.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2019, 07:02:06 AM »