Author Topic: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN  (Read 38313 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: NEW MATRIX SEQUEL FROM LANA WACHOWSKI STARRING KEANU AND CARRIE-ANN
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
Best Wachowski movie is Speed Racer. Real heads know.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2021, 10:35:58 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2021, 01:44:26 PM »

"We missed you."

:hesright

Tasty

« Reply #423 on: September 18, 2021, 01:46:19 PM »
Yasmin dyauh prthivi cantariksam otam
Manah saha pranais ca sarvaih tam
Evaikam janatha atmanam anya vacah
Vimuncatha amrtasya esah setuh

In him are woven the sky and the earth
and all the regions of the air, and in him
rest the mind and all the powers of life.
Know him as the ONE and leave aside all
other words. He is the bridge of
immortality.

:preach

Rahxephon91

« Reply #424 on: September 19, 2021, 11:08:44 AM »
Read the summary. This movie sounds like garbage. The original movies were cool, took themselves seriously, stylish, philosophical, felt creepy, and so on.

This one sounds like current jokey and meta Hollywood crap. Written by a soccer mom who lost what being cool was.

It sounds like it was a mistake to bring this series back.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #425 on: September 19, 2021, 12:09:00 PM »
Damn that’s rough  :(

I don’t begrudge them going back to the well at all, even if it were a pure money and/or ends up being shit, not when it’s their own creation.  They can do as they please and the original will still be there for you.

I am 90% positive I will enjoy this one more than “matrix: revolutions.“

Tasty

« Reply #426 on: September 19, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »

- It's clear from the clip above, as well as every Neo fight in Reloaded, that after substantiating as The One, Neo has 360-degree sight in The Matrix. (He wouldn't last long in the Burly Brawl otherwise.) He doesn't even need his eyes in The Matrix, which is a good foreshadow for Revolutions.

- I never noticed Neo does a front-flip when he lands on The Oracle's roof at the end of this clip.

- Both here and when Neo saves Trinity at the end of the movie, it's reaaaally obvious when they cut from CG to Keanu "landing" in a close-up shot. I dunno, it stands out to me now but it's pretty cool to see the filmmaking "seams" in a big budget film like this.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #427 on: September 19, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »
I just want cringe hacker speak and bullet time stunts.
This will be right up my alley
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #428 on: September 19, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »
You’ll get a romance story about people in a coffee shop.

Tasty

« Reply #429 on: September 19, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
Hey Rahx, not sure how I can make it any clearer:

NO SPOILERS

And this tee-hee joking around minor details does count. So knock it off.

Boredfrom

« Reply #430 on: September 19, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
The spoilers doesn’t sound as bad as I thought. Then again, I still love Matrix Reloaded big twist, so...

Tasty

« Reply #431 on: September 19, 2021, 04:21:12 PM »
The spoilers doesn’t sound as bad as I thought. Then again, I still love Matrix Reloaded big twist, so...

See previous post.

Tasty

« Reply #432 on: September 19, 2021, 04:27:32 PM »
Speaking of Reloaded's ending, after rewatching last night I got to thinking...

There were five The Ones before Neo, but are those just the Ones that actually substantiated?

Like when Neo gets "killed" by Smith at the end of the first film, that would have been the end for Neo if Trinity hadn't made her confession.

Were there other "proto-Ones" that did get killed by Agents (or some other way), apart from the six "full" Ones we know about? :thinking Not that it would really impact the plot since they're dead, but I wonder if such a thing might be hinted at in the future.

If you think this is reading too much into what the Architect says, there was a similar situation regarding the "Paradise Matrix" and "Nightmare Matrix." The Architect mentions the first Matrix was a paradise, and then the following version was based on "human grotesqueries" before that one failed too.

The Matrix Online went on to obliquely confirm Paradise Matrix and Nightmare Matrix in some hard-to-find lore text. It's thought among fans that the Merovingian rescued his band of ghosts (Twins) and werewolves etc. from Nightmare Matrix.

https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Paradise_Matrix

https://matrix.fandom.com/wiki/Nightmare_Matrix

Rahxephon91

« Reply #433 on: September 19, 2021, 04:36:30 PM »
Don't see how it's spoilers if they are in the official publically released trailer.

But also no wonder this doesn't look or sound like the Matrix.

No Don Davis music.

No Bill Pope cinematography.

No Yuen Woo-ping choreography. Whole movie sounds like bad fan-fiction made by those youtube people Curio.

But I bet we get jokey marvel humor.  What a disaster.

Tasty

« Reply #434 on: September 19, 2021, 04:46:30 PM »
I was gonna post something similar. The major crew changes from the trilogy are the only thing giving me pause.

Especially Bill Pope and Don Davis. The trailer looking pretty good assuages the loss of Bill Pope somewhat, but rewatching the other films shows just how key Don Davis is to the whole thing. There are multiple scenes in Reloaded that just would not work without certain musical cues at specific points. In fact most of the time it feels like an action scene is designed around Davis' track for it than the other way around.

Keeping an open mind. New things can be just as good as old things.

But I bet we get jokey marvel humor.  What a disaster.

Weren't you in the Dune trailer thread saying the same thing? Get a new concern-troll dude, this one's more tired than Marvel humor itself.

I also think you missed how deliberately cheesy a lot of the human exchanges were in the original trilogy already.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #435 on: September 19, 2021, 04:46:55 PM »
It looks very Matrix to me in the trailer and that's strange considering the three movies are all over the place.
This reminded me most of Matrix 1 with a bit of Matrix 2 sauce.

I'm expecting it will be like Blade Runner -> Blade Runner 2049.
Where there's a group of people that absolutely loves it and a group of people that doesn't like that it didn't end up like they imagined it would.

If you don't like where the Matrix went, you can always pretend that Neo got his memory erased and started working for Russian mob and that's where John Wick starts.

Will it be better than Matrix 3? Most definitely.
Will it be better than Matrix 2? Very likely
Will it be better than Matrix? Probably not but that's ok too :trumps
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #436 on: September 19, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
Cinematography is gonna be fine. Sense8, Cloud Atlas and JA looked good. No Don Davis sucks no way around that but I'm fine mostly since I'm going expecting this to 100% be doing its own newish thing. No Woo Ping sucks but I'm also expecting way less straight up kung fu this time around. I do know they brought in Stahleski back to do some action stuff so I'm still not too worried.

It's gonna point at and reference the original 3 a lot but I'm still expecting it to look, feel, sound and be it's own thing. I think the trailer also makes that fairly clear? Even down to the fact that there's not even a hint of green tint over it. Use of orange instead might be pointing to the new world as well but that could be reaching. Anyway it's new Matrix, haters gonna hate. Bless up. Stop being miserable RahX you're life ain't that bad.

EDIT: I just remembered that at the very end of Revolutions the world had that orange glow hmmm bless

Tasty

« Reply #437 on: September 19, 2021, 05:37:43 PM »
The Matrix not being green is definitely due to the end of Revolutions.

(Honestly weird they forgot that for MxO, but that was probably WB mandating it for recognizability/marketing...)

Some brand-new canon factoids I've already (re?)learned from this:

- Holy shit, Merv has a raging boners for Chrystlers. I knew the two cars taken were, but I always thought the background cars were normal cars. :lol I assumed the parking lot door was a portal, forgetting that the entire Merv compound including the Keymaker's cell and Chateau are still technically in that skycraper with the elevator Neo/Trinity/Morpheus travel up.

- More shockingly, Merv's Chrystler garage is the same one Seraph approaches and they use to break into Club Hel in Revolutions. Club Hel is in this place too??

- This jogged my memory of the wall-of-TVs at the beginning of Neo's interrogation scene from the first movie. They outright state it was likely the Architect watching him, even back then.

#It'sAllConnected

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Tasty

« Reply #439 on: September 19, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
In an early version of Reloaded's script, Helmut Bakaitis originally read for a "counselor-type" character, not the Architect.

And who is NPH playing in Resurrections? Hmm...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #440 on: September 19, 2021, 06:47:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/BaneTitle/status/1425227672855121936
I loved that about the Matrix, it was all a bunch of random nonsense that made absolutely no sense when you thought 5 seconds about it.
🤴

Tasty

Tasty

« Reply #442 on: September 19, 2021, 06:55:06 PM »

- Scenes purportedly depicting the early life of Thomas Anderson play on The Architect's monitors, never noticed that before. Tom as a kid plays on the beach (maybe getting bullied), rotates a full chessboard around, rolls around on some grass, assembles a desktop computer, and reads superhero comic books. Seeing them full-scale is also a trip.

- Holy shit are the multiple takes of Keanu SCREAMING at the Architect goddamn hilarious. (~37m) :lol They don't censor "fuck" or "shit" in the BTS, but they do censor (in full) Keanu yelling "FUCK YOUR MOTHER!" :lol

Tasty

« Reply #443 on: September 19, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/the-wachowskis-jupiter-ascending-the-matrix-cloud-atlas

Lana Wachowski: Everyone was like, "Make the second [film] in the trilogy the exact same as the first. Why can't it just be the same? Why can't you just do it?" And we're like, "No, the point is that the opposite is true in the second one, and yes, it's gonna rub you the wrong way. But that's what we're interested in as artists." The second and third [movies] were the story for us. We explained to Warner Bros. what we wanted to do with the trilogy, and the first biggest thing was like, "Don't kill Neo! Just don't! You can't kill Neo! You can't kill Trinity! What are you doing?" It was never like somebody said, "Do what you want. Go forth, Wachowskis, and make whatever you want!"

Lana Wachowski: This is part of another giant conversation about originality. When you think of all those great big continuing stories, like Raiders [of the Lost Ark], Star Wars, Terminator, Alien, Back to the Future, they all are original material written for our art form.

And the second thing they have in common is they're before 9/11. Post-9/11, we begin to have a different relationship to originality. We actually cultivate an attraction to things we know, to a derivative material. We want to see books turned into movies in a way we never wanted to before then, because, I think, we know the ending. Stories about the same character over and over are ultimately comforting in the way that a child feels comforted when they hear a bedtime story over and over and over. It's certain. You know what's going to happen. [The late film critic] Gene Siskel used to say he liked Indiana Jones because of the uncertainty of the fact that he was an original character. You weren't 100% sure it was going to work out. But he didn't like Superman because Superman was the same as Coca-Cola, and Coca-Cola was always going to be taken care of by the Coca-Cola Bottling Company.

Nowadays, people who write about movies are obsessed with derivative material in a way they never were before. And they crave it. They hunger for familiarity, and they actually have a suspicion of originality.

Lots of great quotes in that article.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #444 on: September 19, 2021, 09:19:27 PM »
 :kermit

Tasty

« Reply #445 on: September 19, 2021, 11:16:15 PM »
Imagine a Path of Neo-type game with DMC's combat system. :lawd

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #446 on: September 20, 2021, 01:27:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/BaneTitle/status/1425227672855121936

always thought the sleeve garters were odd, but they did work for morpheus' renaissance man of style vibe
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #447 on: September 20, 2021, 02:19:15 AM »
Weren't you in the Dune trailer thread saying the same thing? Get a new concern-troll dude, this one's more tired than Marvel humor itself.

I also think you missed how deliberately cheesy a lot of the human exchanges were in the original trilogy already.
No? I think Dune looks great. I think there was one trailer that seemed "Marvely" but that's because they have to market a movie and Dune is a hard sell.

As someone who likes the Matrix sequels and watches the movies pretty often, I think this genuinely looks and sounds awful. It really looks like it's made by people who have aged out of the Matrix.

And the words of originality fall flat when you're creating a movie that is digging up old characters including one that died for the sake of being safe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:29:10 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Tasty

« Reply #448 on: September 20, 2021, 02:39:02 AM »
At the end of the day these are just movies and your tastes are what they are.

Short of The Rise of Skywalker, I personally try not to judge films which creatives, artists, and technicians worked on for three years of their lives based on one trailer and dubiously-accurate text-only spoilers.

I'd rather, you know, watch the movie and draw my opinions from that.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #449 on: September 20, 2021, 02:58:37 AM »
There’s no point of marketing or things like trailers if they aren’t supposed to give you an impression.

Tasty

« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2021, 03:06:27 AM »
There’s no point of marketing or things like trailers if they aren’t supposed to give you an impression.

Facetiousness isn't becoming. You've been giving opinions about the final film, supported by leaks you specifically sought out -- not the trailer.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2021, 03:12:11 AM »
That's pretty impossible considering the movie isn't out.

My opinions are pretty clearly framed as "what I'm hearing and seeing about the movie which would include the trailer and leaks sounds bad".

Tasty

« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2021, 03:34:16 AM »

I know, it's almost like you're rushing to judgment or something.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2021, 04:26:09 AM »
I didn't get a Marvel humor vibe from the trailer.
I complained about that in the Dune thread as well, though thankfully the actual movie has, i think literally 2 jokes in 3 hours. (both in the trailer)
And given how deadly serious the whole movie feels, they do feel tonally out of place a bit, but nothing too bad. Though the movie has much deeper problems than that to worry about.

This one though doesn't feel like that to me, and the Matrix was always a tongue in cheek movie, with plenty of humor in it.

However the trailer looks quite different from what we got before (why i like it) and that can understandably put some people off.
After all, the Wachowski are far from infallible.

Personally i'd say you don't come back to the Matrix 20 years later, to just do more of the same (or: You shouldn't).
That's why i hope it won't be a "remember this? remember that?" fest, and it'll have something to add, which to me seems to be the case, from how different in tone the trailer looks.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2021, 08:04:14 AM »

I know, it's almost like you're rushing to judgment or something.
And you're rushing to hype it and defend it.

Tasty

« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
Wonderful ad hominem. I suggest you have set aside some time for serious self-reflection.

Tasty

« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2021, 03:34:30 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2021, 04:51:32 PM »
I thought it looked and sounded pretty lame to be honest.

You are also notoriously hard to please.
No this is an ad hominem.

I think you need reflection.

Start where you stop getting upset when someone isn’t blowing the thing your memeing about.

Tasty

« Reply #458 on: September 20, 2021, 04:58:55 PM »
You know what, you're right. I usually try not to be so combative.

See y'all in 2022.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #459 on: September 20, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »
I've seen all the spoilers and it's going to be better you can imagine  8)

smh at the haters and the losers expecting it to be the exact same as the 1-3, then cry when not meet babby expectations. also be mad that it's the same thing over again  :trumps

Boredfrom

« Reply #460 on: September 20, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »

See previous post.

Just saying I like this kind of stuff. Is just Revolutions film I found extremely shitty (except for the idea of the ending).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2021, 06:34:13 PM »
I thought it looked and sounded pretty lame to be honest.

You are also notoriously hard to please.
No this is an ad hominem.

I think you need reflection.

Start where you stop getting upset when someone isn’t blowing the thing your memeing about.
THE MATRIX REFLECTIONS

COMING 2023

spoiler (click to show/hide)
A prequel story about a company called Nvidya creating reflections so real humans can't tell the difference between the virtual and real world
[close]
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: September 22, 2021, 12:57:51 PM »
Decided to re-watch the trilogy.  I liked the first movie and was not a fan of the sequels- I haven't watched them since they were in theaters.  Only watched the original so far.  It seems a bit dated in some ways, but still holds up well. 
ど助平

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #463 on: September 22, 2021, 06:33:50 PM »
Ehhhhh trailer is meh to me. Feels like "hey remember this? Let's do it again."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #464 on: September 23, 2021, 10:31:42 PM »
Decided to re-watch the trilogy.  I liked the first movie and was not a fan of the sequels- I haven't watched them since they were in theaters.  Only watched the original so far.  It seems a bit dated in some ways, but still holds up well.

PREPARE FOR DISAPPOINTMENT

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2021, 06:26:20 AM »

lol never saw this be4
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #466 on: October 07, 2021, 01:56:49 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #467 on: December 20, 2021, 12:23:23 AM »
Just came back from a matinee showing. Really liked it. It takes the message of the original Matrix and subverts them to be appropriate to this modern age.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »
One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen tbh
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
One of the worst movies I’ve ever seen tbh

why was this?  I'm watching 2 right now, will watch 3 and 4 tonight.  2 is a lot better than I remember it being. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2021, 05:06:19 PM »
I didn’t like Fake Morpheus and Fake Smith,
Doogie Howser as the main villain,
[close]
zero good action scenes, tons of Family Guy reference humor where they recreate a scene from the first movie and then a character says “woah, remember this from the first movie”, and also it looked like it had the budget of an episode of CSI: Miami. It didn’t feel like anyone was taking the movie seriously or even that they were making a real movie, it just felt like the whole thing was made as a goof.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2021, 07:44:33 PM »
Granted, I'm only about 45 minutes into this movie but...it really sucks. A lot.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2021, 08:14:07 PM »
I am not surprised that it’s divisive.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2021, 08:23:16 PM »
Doesn't help that the action scenes either suck or are retreads of action scenes from the OG film, or both.

Like...how do they screw up that part of it?????
dog

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2021, 09:45:10 PM »
This movie was hot memberberry garbage.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2021, 10:48:39 PM »
This was a weird movie and it's all over the place. 
Negatives:  I hated how meta it was.  The action sucked.  Like the train scene was almost interesting but not really; matrix 2 and even 3 had a lot better action.  Also, the CGI was on par with 3 (which holds up surprisingly well other than the superman Neo stuff).  No idea how stuff doesn't look better 20 years later. The aesthetics were wrong, like what's up with the anime-eyed dolphin-mantis robot?  The comedy fell flat.  Also they dehumanized the people stuck in the matrix by calling them bots etc.  Like the suicide-diving scene was a cool idea that didn't work cause they called them bots and turned them into green matrix slug instead of doing real horror elements as the first matrix had. 

Positives: I liked where the story went though and the overall plot worked.  Would have preferred if they just made Trinity The One from the start and made it a heist movie to get neo out instead of Trinity.  I'd watch a 5th movie.  I think the idea that people wouldn't want to leave the matrix, even after the war was won, is a pretty interesting idea that should have been explored better.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 11:21:54 PM by Madrun Badrun »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
You probably still wanna spoiler that stuff for people that haven’t seen it.

The Therapist says in his big reveal that they didn’t even need as many humans, they just populate with more bots, and create more miserable situations that produce more energy for the machines. Those are actually bots. They are minor programs that are just there to frustrate the humans’ situation. Think about NPCs in a video game. Think about bots in a training simulator. It’s that kind of thing.

The point in this movie, which I also enjoyed in The Last Jedi before it was retconned in the Rise of Skywalker, is that special abilities are not given by genetics or fate; they are something that anyone can achieve when they believe in themselves, and pursue becoming their best self. Anyone can be free from restraint if they accept who they are and act with bravery. Trinity is not the One, and she is not part of a dyad, she broke free from her illusory controls.

Neo says, “I never believed in the one.“ He is opening up the solution in that line. There is no “one.“ Anyone can save themselves.
[close]

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2021, 11:21:22 PM »
I hated the trailer, really liked the movie surprisingly. Not great by any means, but low expectations and all that I suppose? I had a good time and the lore wasn’t crazy nonsense like 2 and 3 even though it continued down that path. I’d watch another.

Bebpo

« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2021, 11:23:13 PM »
Was a bit of a boring movie.
Wasn't bad. Just kinda of a nothing movie. New Morpheus had swagger at least.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2021, 11:27:47 PM »
You probably still wanna spoiler that stuff for people that haven’t seen it.

The Therapist says in his big reveal that they didn’t even need as many humans, they just populate with more bots, and create more miserable situations that produce more energy for the machines. Those are actually bots. They are minor programs that are just there to frustrate the humans’ situation. Think about NPCs in a video game. Think about bots in a training simulator. It’s that kind of thing.

The point in this movie, which I also enjoyed in The Last Jedi before it was retconned in the Rise of Skywalker, is that special abilities are not given by genetics or fate; they are something that anyone can achieve when they believe in themselves, and pursue becoming their best self. Anyone can be free from restraint if they accept who they are and act with bravery. Trinity is not the One, and she is not part of a dyad, she broke free from her illusory controls.

Neo says, “I never believed in the one.“ He is opening up the solution in that line. There is no “one.“ Anyone can save themselves.
[close]

I missed the bot thing.  I did get The One thing. 
  I just mean superpowers, not a singular entity.  She should have had them from after the first act and been the central character instead of Neo. Think this would have been the better inversion, though then you have her reducing neo from the matrix as a rehash.
[close]