Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137760 times)

Himu

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #840 on: April 10, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
Might be able exploit that indeed. What's the refresh rate?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #841 on: April 10, 2020, 08:26:53 PM »
Playing as Aerith still looks fun as fuck and FFXII-esque. This was the video made me actually interested in the combat.

IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #842 on: April 10, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
The music is so good.
fat

Himu

« Reply #843 on: April 10, 2020, 09:13:09 PM »
Yeah, I know. Doesnt change that fighting from a distance looks fun :drool

I'm not making a direct comparison to XII just saying visually, sitting back away from the action managing the battle from afar gives those vibes and is something I'm looking forward to even if it's not the meat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:34:19 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #844 on: April 10, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »
I'm kinda expecting XVI to be the next XII
QED

Himu

« Reply #845 on: April 10, 2020, 09:47:18 PM »
I'm kinda expecting XVI to be the next XII

God I hope so.

What makes you say that?

It reminds me of FFXII in the sense that it's so obviously in pre-production in the way that XII was: while everyone else is doing their own thing. They put Matsuno on XII like in 2001, I believe before the release of X even. Game wasn't revealed until 2003/2004. Meanwhile, there was X/XI/X-2/Tactics Advance/Crystal Chronicles in between the release of XII.

So they probably have it in pre right now while XIV and VIIr team does their thing.

Only commonality I find.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:57:23 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #846 on: April 10, 2020, 09:58:11 PM »
FFXIV has been Square Enix's best fruit this entire gen, the biggest Western games this gen are open world or mimic MMO'S. MMO styled gameplay is in demand for single player games.

I expect XVI's development structure will mimic FFXII's. One team works on story, characters/character design, scenarios, the other team (XIV's) works on gameplay and scenarios as well.
OH!

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #847 on: April 10, 2020, 10:00:57 PM »
The rumors that it's being developed by a team spun off of the FFXIV group, which is where most of the XII people went. I wouldn't even be surprised if Matsuno himself were involved (as a scenario writer or concept designer, not a production director), he's already been working with the XIV team lately
QED

Himu

« Reply #848 on: April 10, 2020, 10:03:21 PM »
I wouldn't be shocked if they had Yoshida take the reins. The guy turned FFXIV from a joke of a game that begged its players to play for free to becoming this game XIV fans beg single player FF people to play because apparently it's so good. What a turn around. At the time of XIV's initial failure there were murmerings of Square Enix maybe going bankrupt.

Scuttlebutt tells me Yoshida apparently gets FF but I've struggled to get past ARR base content to be able to see it.

If they can manage to get him off project (doubtful as he's a key figure and may be locked into XIV) then they might have a really successful New entry that isn't a remake or an online game that people actually like to play. :doge

Since all single player FF's since XII have had a rocky development process maybe it can finally break the curse. Maybe not.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #849 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »
The rumors that it's being developed by a team spun off of the FFXIV group, which is where most of the XII people went. I wouldn't even be surprised if Matsuno himself were involved (as a scenario writer or concept designer, not a production director), he's already been working with the XIV team lately

Yeah, I've heard rumors that XIV team may be "gifted" the mantle of the next FF for saving Final Fantasy's reputation single handedly after the trash fire that XIII/XIII-2/LR/XIV OG. It would be well deserved. Problem is, they've got an mmo to keep going and those are time demanding. Another thing to consider is that SE always wants an MMO running to keep the engines well greased. So when the XIV team will have time to develop a single player on top of their wildly successful MMO has yet to be seen.

Yoshida will likely replaced with a successor and he'll take charge of a new single player team forced with key XIV staff.

edit: Another benefit of XIV team making XVI: AMANO DESIGNS :rejoice

One thing I love about XIV is that it takes the visual aesthetic of Amano and applies it to 3d. For the first time, Amano's art can be treated with justice in Final Fantasy with their full splendor.

My hope is Amano will come back and design although I don't expect it. Akihiko Yoshida's 14 designs are so Amano-esque I wouldn't mind if he's the designer. Yoshida <3 Hell, the new Dream Team is Gooch/Amano/Uematsu all on one project together again. Uematsu has not made music for a single player FF since his contribution to X's soundtrack so it'd be nice for him to return.

All the potential is there for XVI to be a massive rebound for FF. It legitimately excites me.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 10:17:32 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #850 on: April 10, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »
Recursive do you remember this day? :rejoice What an amazing day. God I'm so spoiled :tocry

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/01/square-millennium-event-final-fantasy-ix-x-and-xi-revealed

It would be great if SE did something similar for the next generation of FF: reveal FFVII Remake pt2, FFXVI, and something else (not sure) all in one day. :lawd Would give heavy y2k vibes.  :whew
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #851 on: April 10, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Final Fantasy VII Remake Rebuild
[close]

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #852 on: April 10, 2020, 11:08:16 PM »
Recursive do you remember this day? :rejoice What an amazing day. God I'm so spoiled :tocry

https://www.ign.com/articles/2000/02/01/square-millennium-event-final-fantasy-ix-x-and-xi-revealed

It would be great if SE did something similar for the next generation of FF: reveal FFVII Remake pt2, FFXVI, and something else (not sure) all in one day. :lawd Would give heavy y2k vibes.  :whew

hey now, you're forgetting about that other event they had where they announced a bunch of FF titles all at once...
pcp

Himu

« Reply #853 on: April 10, 2020, 11:27:12 PM »

hey now, you're forgetting about that other event they had where they announced a bunch of FF titles all at once...

Breh I just remembered Matsuno had a recent interview where he said he should make a new FFT before he dies.

Imagine if it were the third game on top of FFXVI and VII pt2.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #854 on: April 10, 2020, 11:39:10 PM »
imagining a political narrative like Tactics in today's gaming landscape holy fuck i would bust one through the fucking ceiling
pcp

Himu

« Reply #855 on: April 10, 2020, 11:51:32 PM »
imagining a political narrative like Tactics in today's gaming landscape holy fuck i would bust one through the fucking ceiling

*Cries happy tears"

Yaaas

Eat the Rich: The Strategy Game
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #856 on: April 11, 2020, 12:00:28 AM »
The part with Cloud and Aerith walking across the rooftops was so freakin' good. :tocry
dog

Himu

« Reply #857 on: April 11, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »
The part with Cloud and Aerith walking across the rooftops was so freakin' good. :tocry

One of my favorite parts in the original. :tocry

So glad you're enjoying it. Aerith is so wholesome and bae
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #858 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:10 AM »
Was a little unsure of how her character was going to be handled after the short scene at the tail-end of bombing run, but that part proves how super-good she is in this. :rejoice

:tocry :tocry :tocry
dog

Himu

« Reply #859 on: April 11, 2020, 12:21:21 AM »
I'm starting to get excited for this by everyone's impressions.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #860 on: April 11, 2020, 12:32:53 AM »
It does a lot of things right, or at least things that I tend to like. Could nitpick a few things here and there, but the overall experience is pretty great as far as I'm concerned. And if nothing else, some of the environments are absolutely spectacular.
dog

Himu

« Reply #861 on: April 11, 2020, 12:34:57 AM »
Was a little unsure of how her character was going to be handled after the short scene at the tail-end of bombing run, but that part proves how super-good she is in this. :rejoice

:tocry :tocry :tocry

I love the image in the youtube preview (haven't clicked, no spoilers).

It reminds me of when I got FFVII and was obsessed with the character renders in the manual.

Those FMV renders are drilled into my head. Sweet Jesus I'm starting to get nostalgic.

edit:

They even remade the key art :rejoice

feels empty without Highwind :(

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #862 on: April 11, 2020, 12:35:34 AM »
It does a lot of things right, or at least things that I tend to like. Could nitpick a few things here and there, but the overall experience is pretty great as far as I'm concerned. And if nothing else, some of the environments are absolutely spectacular.

I've never seen so many people discussing FF since the original FFVII. It makes me happy the series is relevant again :rejoice
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #863 on: April 11, 2020, 01:00:04 AM »
Ending of Chapter 7
The Air Buster fight was so badass, I almost air busted a nut. :rejoice

[close]
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #864 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:08 AM »
Happy for everyone here liking it! Haven't seen this positivity towards single player FF in over a decade. <3
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #865 on: April 11, 2020, 02:57:49 AM »
Took me about 20 minutes of trying but I got the top score in darts. Whew.
NO

bluemax

« Reply #866 on: April 11, 2020, 03:00:28 AM »

Apparently Matsuno is a HUGE FFXIV player.
NO

Himu

« Reply #867 on: April 11, 2020, 03:09:57 AM »

Apparently Matsuno is a HUGE FFXIV player.

Well, XII was inspired by XI. Not a shock.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #868 on: April 11, 2020, 03:46:51 AM »

Can't wait for you guys to get to Wall Market.

Bebpo

« Reply #869 on: April 11, 2020, 03:58:04 AM »
This game is good.

I feel like the dialogue/script is 1,000x better than the original. It's really well written if you're ok with the goofy PG-13 star wars kind of tone FF has.

The combat also seems great. Lots of fun and I'm already feeling like this might be the best arpg combat that still has some of that turn-based feel. I still haven't sat down and played through FFXV, but this definitely makes me want to do that even though I'm sure FFXV doesn't play as good. Nomura combat is good stuff whether it's TWEWY or KH or this.

This game feels like how FF13 should've played.

Only complaint is how linear the maps are, but iirc the original was like that in Midgar anyhow.

recursivelyenumerable

QED

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #871 on: April 11, 2020, 05:51:41 AM »

I was a bit deflated when i didnt immediately get a prize then Wedge did the right thing 😌
:9

Svejk

« Reply #872 on: April 11, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
I just got to Wall Market, but it was 4:30am, so needed to stop there.  Can't wait to jump back in tonight!   Getting into a groove with the combat (In the demo, I used every resource and barely got past the scorpion boss... This time, crushed it).  This is great though.  Like Rumbler said, I could nit pick certain things, but overall... What they've pulled off is fantastic.  Dousing the floor with feels.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #873 on: April 11, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
It seems like enemies will kick you in the teeth if youre not gunning for their weaknesses. This def aint press X (now Square) to win

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #874 on: April 11, 2020, 11:56:24 AM »
Its the guarding that I still have to come to grips with. I keep wanting to go all out offensive and end up being put on my ass.

bluemax

« Reply #875 on: April 11, 2020, 12:03:17 PM »

I was a bit deflated when i didnt immediately get a prize then Wedge did the right thing 😌

I still haven't gotten a prize... I wonder if I missed getting it? I talked to everyone after they came up from the meeting.
NO

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #876 on: April 11, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »

I still haven't gotten a prize... I wonder if I missed getting it? I talked to everyone after they came up from the meeting.

All I did was won during the meeting and when I went to finally leave the bar wedge handed me the prize

Himu

« Reply #877 on: April 11, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
Yeah, I stand by my complaints still but this game rules. I'll always be a pissy baby about them splitting this shit up but man them actually getting all the characterization of the main party right for the first time since 1997 brings a tear to my eye. Cloud is a massive dork asshole, Aerith is the teasing and spunky gal who sees through his dumb shit, Tifa is :noah and Barrett being Mr. T and Macho Man wrapped into one :rejoice

At chapter 8. Taking a break for now but so far I'm having a blast with this.

Cloud is still a dork?! Omg :noah
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #878 on: April 11, 2020, 12:29:06 PM »
Yeah, I stand by my complaints still but this game rules. I'll always be a pissy baby about them splitting this shit up but man them actually getting all the characterization of the main party right for the first time since 1997 brings a tear to my eye. Cloud is a massive dork asshole, Aerith is the teasing and spunky gal who sees through his dumb shit, Tifa is :noah and Barrett being Mr. T and Macho Man wrapped into one :rejoice

At chapter 8. Taking a break for now but so far I'm having a blast with this.

Cloud is still a dork?! Omg :noah

Whats really tickling my pickle is Barrets cringe humor and goofiness. The trailers make it seem like hes all about the business but nope the banter from him is amazing.

bluemax

« Reply #879 on: April 11, 2020, 12:34:04 PM »

All I did was won during the meeting and when I went to finally leave the bar wedge handed me the prize

Well I just got it a bit later after returning to the bar, so I guess I am... not out of luck ;-)
NO

Himu

« Reply #880 on: April 11, 2020, 12:50:37 PM »
I'm excited to get this now. I want to see how the battle system and materia system clicks so I can blow the whole thing up. Hard mode sounds great.

Is there hope for post-game support like adding hunts?
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #881 on: April 11, 2020, 01:08:32 PM »
Really digging the battle system. Pretty much the type of combat I wanted from XV.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #882 on: April 11, 2020, 01:22:33 PM »
Man y'all are making me want to play this. :doge
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #883 on: April 11, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
No? I've assessed a billion enemies for some dumb side quest but can't say I read or went through any of it. Best way to play is fill up one characters ATB bars, use them, switch to another, rinse and repeat. Learning how to dodge and block helps a lot too. I'm not sure but I could swear Cloud has a parry? if so I pulled it off on accident many a time so far :lol

You need to be in Punisher Mode but he can parry attacks with it. I was doing it the 1v1 against [REDACTED]
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #884 on: April 11, 2020, 01:36:30 PM »
I'm excited to get this now. I want to see how the battle system and materia system clicks so I can blow the whole thing up. Hard mode sounds great.

Is there hope for post-game support like adding hunts?

I wouldnt expect any post game DLC or anything personally, but there are "superbosses" and such along with hard mode.
fat

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #885 on: April 11, 2020, 01:57:19 PM »
Theres more charisma in Barret alone than all of XV for me. I actually find myself chuckling.

Also there better be alternate clothes

Cowgirl Tifa
[close]

:noah

Himu

« Reply #886 on: April 11, 2020, 02:05:44 PM »
Theres more charisma in Barret alone than all of XV for me. I actually find myself chuckling.

Cowgirl Tifa
[close]

Prompto owns though

I like the characters in XV. Did you see the anime where Prompto goes from fat kid to sociable skinny kid?
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #887 on: April 11, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »

Cowgirl Tifa
[close]

Prompto owns though

I like the characters in XV. Did you see the anime where Prompto goes from fat kid to sociable skinny kid?

I didnt! And I found Prompto mildly amusing but the team dynamic didnt really seem to elevate him i feel. Where as here you have dry ass Cloud being messed with by Barret and Jessie.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #888 on: April 11, 2020, 02:15:33 PM »
Jessie's banana tits give me life
fat

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #889 on: April 11, 2020, 02:27:48 PM »
I like what theyve done with Biggs, sort of a similar vibe to him as baltheir

:rejoice
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #890 on: April 11, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »
SHINRA DID 9/11
WUTAI HAS NO WMDS
HEIDEGGER RESIGN
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #891 on: April 11, 2020, 03:11:35 PM »
I like what theyve done with Biggs, sort of a similar vibe to him as baltheir

:rejoice
Well its the same english voice.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #892 on: April 11, 2020, 03:15:00 PM »
The fucking Air Buster fight with that music  :rejoice

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #893 on: April 11, 2020, 03:31:28 PM »
Its kind of annoying maxing out these ability bars by requiring certain things to be done, hopefully there's some place I can grind that out easily.
fat

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #894 on: April 11, 2020, 03:45:02 PM »
I'm not sure but I could swear Cloud has a parry? if so I pulled it off on accident many a time so far :lol

Block while in Punisher mode. Not strictly a parry though, you don't need to time it.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #895 on: April 11, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »
I'm not sure but I could swear Cloud has a parry? if so I pulled it off on accident many a time so far :lol

Block while in Punisher mode. Not strictly a parry though, you don't need to time it.

Coming from Sekiro I kept trying to time it. Good to know its more forgiving

Svejk

« Reply #896 on: April 11, 2020, 04:09:46 PM »
While playing, it's hard not to get hyped picturing how they'll pull off shit in the later installment(s).  That being said, if Soyny gets timed exclusivety on the next installment on PS5, ... system seller for me right there.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #897 on: April 11, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
Kingdom Hearts doesnt require you to kill time depleting a knock-me-on-my-ass gauge in order to go on the offensive   :dead

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #898 on: April 11, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »
Are the enemies as much of damage sponges as they were in the demo?
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #899 on: April 11, 2020, 06:15:00 PM »
Only if you're dogshit and don't use weaknesses and stagger them
fat