Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137769 times)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue
« Reply #1620 on: May 03, 2020, 04:55:41 PM »
tifa is incredible, put in the work and get better with her and you'll be doing damage about as fast as you can move your fingers
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1621 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:09 PM »
Tifa as a balanced black mage, but still melee is pretty fun. Espically when you have the atb boost and have her start off with increased concentration. So you start off staggering enemies and running up on them with some unbridled strength, maybe some true strike or other stagger attacks,  and then star shower or whatever it's called.

Himu

« Reply #1622 on: May 03, 2020, 05:04:18 PM »
She's powerful and I know how to use her abilities but I don't find her fun. :yeshrug She's very linear. It's like playing Chun Li in super Turbo. She's very strong but :zzz

Shinra building is perfection. :delicious Almost done. What an emotional ride. I forgot how much I love FFVII. :tocry
IYKYK

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #1623 on: May 03, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
It's worth noting that the video is likely propaganda, down to the natural Midgar formation and type of airships.

that's been the first FMV to wow me on a pure "look at those awesome graphics bro" level in quite a while so congrats to the Square Enix Visual Works prerendered CG team for justifying their continued existence. If I were in the C-suite of an oil company rn I would definitely inquire whether they're available for brand image marketing contract opportunities
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:08:28 PM by recursivelyenumerable »
QED

Himu

« Reply #1624 on: May 03, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »
Took a break to get the spiciest green curry at my favorite Thai restaurant. Now let's best this.

It's worth noting that the video is likely propaganda, down to the natural Midgar formation and type of airships.

that's been the first FMV to wow me on a pure "look at those awesome graphics bro" level in quite a while so congrats to the Square Enix Visual Works prerendered CG team for justifying their continued existence. If I were in the C-suite of an oil company rn I would definitely inquire whether they're available for brand image marketing contract opportunities

I couldn't fucking believe it. That's the Square Enix I remember. They haven't had anything as visually stunning in terms of aesthetics since Zanarkand in X. Just wow.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1625 on: May 03, 2020, 07:30:52 PM »
what was that? an excuse for me to post Answers? ok then:

pcp

Himu

« Reply #1626 on: May 03, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
Holy fucking shit. :bow
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1627 on: May 03, 2020, 10:48:21 PM »
exactly. sephiroth's meteor didn't have shit on this one.
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1628 on: May 04, 2020, 01:31:28 AM »
Ending was dope af.

Had me screaming WHAT at the TV screen.

I'm real happy with the overall product.

Game goes a long way to prove once and for all that Sephiroth fans are all fuck boys and fuck girls though. He's really the only negative in the story and a massive detraction. He adds absolutely nothing positive to the story. Sephiroth fucking blows and is for 12 year olds. Now Shinra on the other hand :rejoice Excellence. :rejoice
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:37:33 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1629 on: May 04, 2020, 01:59:05 AM »
Imagine being a Sephiroth stan :dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1630 on: May 04, 2020, 03:06:55 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love that anything can happen and how they twist veteran players arms with expectations. The change to the presidents death was fantastic. You go in expecting to see a sword in him but the chair is empty. You hear someone yelling for help so, having played the original you think it's Palmer because he was hiding in the OG. Turns out it's the Prez. Then Sephiroth comes and kill him. Then kills Barret too. The game does a great job expecting you to know that you shouldn't expect things to be the same. The first major hint being when Wedge is alive. And now Zack is alive and Biggs. Anything can happen and it's a fantastic way to promote hype and discussion for part 2
[close]

I need Part 2 yesterday.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1631 on: May 04, 2020, 03:15:38 AM »
Shinra HQ is greaaaaaaat

I think I'll be able to finish it tomorrow from my hazy memory of the events left.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1632 on: May 04, 2020, 03:39:19 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1633 on: May 04, 2020, 06:19:33 AM »
Also can you not interact with npc's at all in the game?

There's like, a trillion of them.
You can "interact" with the majority of them, as in they will have a couple lines of dialogues if you stand next to them (no need to press a button). That's pretty much equivalent to every RPG ever.

In any case it's slightly amusing for you to point that stuff out when you're stanning so much for TW3 :lol

Where was I stanning for TW3? Its a great game, but isnt it like 7 years old now? In the meantime games have evolved. But yeah the only game that has realistic reactions NPC wise is RDR2. And I guess it wouldn't be fair (?) to judge a game based on that game. Every game with NPC's that cannot respond just seem plasticcy to me now. Even AC Odyssey, all the NPC's are just set dressing. Its garbage
What

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1634 on: May 04, 2020, 08:13:54 AM »
I was mulling this over for a bit and thought I'd ask you guys if you feel the same way: Aren't all the bosses in this game great? Maybe it's cause I spaced out my playthroughs, but even then from like the shinra building on it's just a string of great boss fights. And yes, I'm including the motorcycle boss.

Actually, the last motorcycle section I thought was quite good, which makes the earlier ones with Jesse and Roche look off in hindsight though I guess they primed you for the last one.

yes, the bosses are some of the high points of the game easily. FFXIV has more incredible boss fights than i could remember, so i'm incredibly happy that they took the raid-style fights and converted them into single-player format. there was like one dude in particular who's name i forget that did a bunch of the best fights in XIV and i wonder if he was involved in this game as well. either way it set a new standard for bosses in japanese games and i hope more devs follow suite.

I didn't remember this, but apparently
LOVELESS has multiple references that could be hinting that this was in the plans for a bit as a semi-sequel/reboot.

"Of course...I'll come back to you. Even if you don't promise to wait. I'll return knowing you'll be here."
Last line of LOVELESS

The final chapter of LOVELESS is lost, with only a single line remaining: "Even if the morrow is barren of promises, nothing shall forestall my return", although there are many in-world theories on the story's denouement.

:dizzy

Funnily enough this also ties back to some random ass out-of-place line Aerith says in Kingdom Hearts 2

:dizzy :dizzy :dizzy
[close]
Edit:
I swear to god, if Cloud's total nonsense KH appearance becomes canon I'm going to lose it. :lol
[close]

a lot of loveless was written specifialy for Genesis, iirc, because ofc his whole shtick was trying to live out what happened in the play. in the Compilation he was killed and brought back to life because in-universe he "still had role in the story." i still think it's highly possible he'll come back in one of the future games.
[close]
pcp

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1635 on: May 04, 2020, 09:20:14 AM »
sephiroth is mostly whatever but my man has a good theme so he's ok in my book

Himu

« Reply #1636 on: May 04, 2020, 09:51:37 AM »
I was mulling this over for a bit and thought I'd ask you guys if you feel the same way: Aren't all the bosses in this game great? Maybe it's cause I spaced out my playthroughs, but even then from like the shinra building on it's just a string of great boss fights. And yes, I'm including the motorcycle boss.

Actually, the last motorcycle section I thought was quite good, which makes the earlier ones with Jesse and Roche look off in hindsight though I guess they primed you for the last one.

No. The arena for the boss before getting to the Shinra hq is too small given the amount of space be occupied. The final train graveyard boss is a boss too much given we already beat a ghost boss and the plate is about to fall. One problem FFVIIR has it doesn't know when to stop a story beat. That is the biggest example why.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1637 on: May 04, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »
Also some of the bosses are TOO LONG. Sometimes I just want to best a boss. That mecha in the elevator at Shinra HQ has like FIVE PHASES and is longer than the fight with fucking RUFUS. It keeps going and going and going and hey what do you think of THIS set up? Just end the fight already. Part 2 someone needs to tell someone in the battle dept.NO because goddamn not every boss needs to be epic and not every boss needs grand theater. Sometimes you need to KILL SHIT and fuck pagaentry.

FFVIIR is fantastic but it's the best example of "hire an editor,  PLEASE" I've ever seen.

The motorcycle chase also sucked and is also overly long. Enemies have WAY too much HP. Dial it the fuck down! Not every boss has to be fucking Yiazmat.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:07:51 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1638 on: May 04, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »
Also some of the bosses are TOO LONG. Sometimes I just want to best a boss. That mecha in the elevator at Shinra HQ has like FIVE PHASES and is longer than the fight with fucking RUFUS. It keeps going and going and going and hey what do you think of THIS set up? Just end the fight already. Part 2 someone needs to tell someone in the battle dept.NO because goddamn not every boss needs to be epic and not every boss needs grand theater. Sometimes you need to KILL SHIT and fuck pagaentry.

FFVIIR is fantastic but it's the best example of "hire an editor,  PLEASE" I've ever seen.

The motorcycle chase also sucked and is also overly long. Enemies have WAY too much HP. Dial it the fuck down! Not every boss has to be fucking Yiazmat.
I KNEW YOUR DISAGREEABLE OPINIONS WOULD REAR ITS HEAD INTO THIS THREAD AT SOME POINT  :rage

/Chikdike mocking voice

I'm 21137 and I like poorly paced things~

:lol
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1639 on: May 04, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
Yes all bosses should be epic to showcase the graphical fidelity only a PS4 can provide

I wouldnt know about the motorcycle bosses because you can skip them on Hard mode haha normal plebs  :snob
fat

Himu

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake
« Reply #1640 on: May 04, 2020, 10:27:54 AM »
What the fuck. There's ANOTHER boss fight? NO.

(Image removed from quote.)

"WheN ArE THey GoNnA GeT TO tHe EnD oF ThE BoSs?" Should honestly be the games subtitle.

Also for as much as I loved it, the Hojo labrat experiment dungeon is poorly paced. I know it's a replacement for the prison cell because you don't get caught in this one, but damn. Having that dungeon after Cloud freaks out and goes unconscious is galaxy brain pacing. They should have complete rearranged those events. Have Cloud get knocked out after completing the dungeon and then wake up at Aerith's child home only to find the blood trail.
[close]
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1641 on: May 04, 2020, 10:37:44 AM »
No love for the best bosses in the game. :'(

Beck's Badasses!

Himu

« Reply #1642 on: May 04, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
Yes all bosses should be epic to showcase the graphical fidelity only a PS4 can provide

I wouldnt know about the motorcycle bosses because you can skip them on Hard mode haha normal plebs  :snob

Honestly the bosses being too long has made me change my mind about trying hard mode. RPG hard modes tend to be complete ass and just throw numbers to make the game "hard". Lets give a boss a billion HP! Yeah, that'll make it challenging. So "challenging" that I fall asleep. :snore In a game that doesn't know then the fuck to end shit, hard mode sounds the opposite of fun. That said I will try it to determine the correct answer. Let's be honest, you have no standards and platinum everything.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1643 on: May 04, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »

Honestly the bosses being too long has made me change my mind about trying hard mode. RPG hard modes tend to be complete ass and just throw numbers to make the game "hard". Lets give a boss a billion HP! Yeah, that'll make it challenging. So "challenging" that I fall asleep. :snore In a game that doesn't know then the fuck to end shit, hard mode sounds the opposite of fun. That said I will try it to determine the correct answer. Let's be honest, you have no standards and platinum everything.

here you go judging some shit before giving it a shot again
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1644 on: May 04, 2020, 11:13:28 AM »
Not sure what me platinuming it has to do with [anything] at all

I'll be here on the other side of the fence when you're done yelling over there
fat

Himu

« Reply #1645 on: May 04, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »

here you go judging some shit before giving it a shot again

I said I'd try it. But let's be honest. RPG hard modes have a notorious bad record and FF7R fights last too long. No matter what you think that could be a bad combination. It's not judgement, it's very sharp critique. But I'm still going to try it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:19:17 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1646 on: May 04, 2020, 01:18:46 PM »
Anyways, I can't stop thinking about the remakes ending.

This was either stupid, ballsy, or genius. I'm personally leaning on genius.

This game completely reinvigorate something I lost a decade ago: my FF fandom. Y'all honestly haven't seen jack regarding my FF stannery and it's being revived. I pity your poor souls.

More than that, I can't believe I'm excited for something new related to FFVII. What a mind fuck. The possibilities are endless and it's great.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1647 on: May 04, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1648 on: May 04, 2020, 01:53:03 PM »
Y'all honestly haven't seen jack regarding my FF stannery and it's being revived. I pity your poor souls.

I've known you for over ten years, so this is troubling.

:confused

I'm not going back to making FF forum signatures like back in the day, so you don't have much to be worried about.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1649 on: May 04, 2020, 01:56:30 PM »
I'm reopening my FF signature shop and pretending it's 2002. Who wants a sig?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1650 on: May 04, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »
The new Kagari :jeb

Just joking. :P
[close]

Himu

« Reply #1651 on: May 04, 2020, 02:03:07 PM »
:rejoice

I have a sig for Andy:

#Dick
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #1652 on: May 04, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
:lol

Himu

« Reply #1653 on: May 04, 2020, 06:10:36 PM »
Posted my review elsewhere and some people are shocked that i of all people am mostly positive and that I enjoyed a modern game.

The curse is over and I can enjoy my old hobby again. Feels good :rejoice I needed FFVII to remind me how much I love vidya again. :whew
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1654 on: May 04, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »
Apparently they haven’t even begun development on the next one lol
püp

Himu

« Reply #1655 on: May 04, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Reading the tweet Taking Back posted.

They're still in planning for part 2. Noooooo :stahp I need it!
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #1656 on: May 04, 2020, 06:32:14 PM »
PS6 launch window  :rejoice

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1657 on: May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM »
I really doubt they haven’t begun development. Not only am I not going to base what’s going on a fan translation of a bit in-depth interview. It also doesn’t make much sense considering you have a whole development team of coders, programmers, artist, and so on who I doubt aren’t doing anything.

Also:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gamesradar.com/amp/final-fantasy-7-remake-part-2-already-in-development-square-enix-confirms/

And even during late stage development you are always planing and thinking about what the shape the game will take.

But no doubt the game is probably 3 years away.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:15:47 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1658 on: May 04, 2020, 07:36:58 PM »
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 07:41:59 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1659 on: May 04, 2020, 08:02:57 PM »
I want to suck Nomura's dick. The Nomura stan in me that was lurking has emerged. He has redeemed himself.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #1660 on: May 04, 2020, 08:15:34 PM »
:leon

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1661 on: May 04, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
welcome back to the promised land, fellow weeb
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1662 on: May 04, 2020, 08:17:35 PM »
It's ok when you're a fanboy, but you have no problem shitting on others when they "are". Very funny.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:06:47 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1663 on: May 04, 2020, 08:21:57 PM »
It's ok when you're a fanboy, but you have no problem shitting on others when they are. Very funny.

My inner fan has lurked for years. I never thought it possible for me to care about FF again the way I care about this remake.

I'm kind of like Cloud. On the outside, I'm hard as shit towards FF. But on the inside....

Like I said before. With FF, I do not accept mediocrity.

Meanwhile, you dismissed other peoples concerns even after the games director got the project without knowing he was on it until it was revealed and it changed developers mid-development and had to be completely remade from scratch. I may be a fanthing for FF but I do not make excuses. My problem is that almost any time we discussed FF, you did.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:27:28 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1664 on: May 04, 2020, 08:37:58 PM »
I did'nt dismiss anyone's concerns. I argued the project's direction made sense, that the reality of the marketplace would encourage certain choices, and that having an open mind would be better then being nothing but dismissive(which is what you were). The fact that you are framing someones arguments about how the scope of the game and the reality of hd development making them split the games up as "making excuses for FF" and not just actual worthwhile arguments from a perspective you did'nt agree with, really only proves my point.

It's ok for you to have your opinions and only you think your opinions are worthwhile. If anyone else has opposing opinions you try to shut them up and de-value them. 

And the only one making excuses here is you. For being pretty shitty about this whole game up until you actually played the full game. Even up to the demo you did nothing but bitch about it.

But hey I don't expect you to admit to being shitty and wrong about this game. You're in your next phase where you act like you're the biggest fan and how you know everything.

I'll just take solace in the fact that I was right about everything in this game, while you try to rewrite everything.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:30:51 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #1665 on: May 04, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »
Holy fucking shit.

This podcast is :delicious
IYKYK

bluemax

« Reply #1666 on: May 05, 2020, 12:07:45 AM »
I like that they dumped in the ending from FF7:CC, that was a fun touch.

I thought the boss that you fight as Aerith/Barrett lasted a bit long, but also I didn't have the best materia setup (really could've used a chance to adjust my materia here!). I did feel like sometimes they really, really wanted the cinematic multi stage stuff, so it was frustrating when you'd stagger the boss and all that did was trigger the next cutscene. I remember using a limit on Sephiroth, and it put up a no indicator on his health bar to let me know I had hit the damage cap for that phase and I was just stuck watching animations.

Apparently they haven’t even begun development on the next one lol

The quote was from awhile ago and questionably translated.
NO

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1667 on: May 05, 2020, 12:22:06 AM »
You do get a chance to change materia.

During the cutscene you will see [MENU (SQUARE)] in the corner. Hold this when you see it, and you will get the party screen before the boss fight.
fat

bluemax

« Reply #1668 on: May 05, 2020, 01:17:42 AM »
You do get a chance to change materia.

During the cutscene you will see [MENU (SQUARE)] in the corner. Hold this when you see it, and you will get the party screen before the boss fight.

Huh, okay I remember that happening before another fight. I guess I totally just missed out on it for this one. I take back my complaint then as that was my own user error.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #1669 on: May 05, 2020, 05:47:51 AM »
All the way up until the president's office in Shinra HQ - Goty 2020 and best single player FF since FFXII.
Everything after that - fucking nonsense

Like all that

Sephiroth
[close]

shit with no build up, no backstory, etc... just has no story weight to it. Just felt like blowing their load now because who knows if pt.2/3 whatever would actually get made and they didn't have the restraint to build up a story.

And then after all that nonsense it ends normally and is like "ok, now we're back to the original's story like none of that ever happened"
-_-

Also the motorcycle bit was shit because the camera. Died on that stupid 6 wheel boss and almost died on the 2nd attempt too (if I had I would've just switched to easy because fuck that shit). And Rufus was the least fun fight in the game. Though the final boss wasn't very fun either. I just used counterstance a lot on all the final bosses.

Also the game went total KH

Like when they said

The whispers were keeping destiny aligned.
[close]

I was like oh, ok, so they're pulling a weird meta Eva rebuild thing where

The whispers keep the story on course with the original and act out to prevent any changes to the original game's plot, Aka the whispers are the fanbase that wants a 1:1 remake all these years
[close]

I was ok with that. Then all the sudden out of nowhere it's like

OK, NOW WERE GONNA FIGHT DESTINY AND KILL DESTINY (the fanbase holding us [SE] down) SO WE ARE FREE TO MAKE DIVERGENCES FROM THE ORIGINAL PLOT
[close]

Ok, that was pretty rushed and out of nowhere but I guess?

But then adding Sephiroth on top of that for no reason but to have a Sephiroth fight and one winged angel

Bleh, that's dumb.
[close]

So now the story is still the same FF7 story for pt.2/3 but they are allowed to make changes and go in a new direction if they want. Ok, I guess?

idk, there's some fun concepts in there but everything is a rushed mess after a mostly nice paced out game full of character development and progression.

:doge

Bebpo

« Reply #1670 on: May 05, 2020, 05:55:05 AM »
Also while I think all the characters look great, I don't like the redesign of Rufus. He looks so boringly generic in this.

:yuck

He looks like an FFXIII character.

Bebpo

« Reply #1671 on: May 05, 2020, 06:24:29 AM »
One thing I did like is how useful a lot of skills were in the right situation.

There's one bit in the hojo lab where you have team Tifa + Aerith and there's like 6 dogs. They hit you so much it's impossible to fire off a spell because you get interrupted. So with Tifa I tried putting one of those Chi balls down and bam, every dog got staggered and they were all on the floor and I switched to Aerith and then took them all out with a blizzard spell. Overall the combat and ability design is very, very good.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1672 on: May 05, 2020, 07:12:00 AM »
How long do I have left hours wise roughly? Basically wanna know if I’ll have to to finish it in one sitting today even tho I have other shit to do

Last I played the other day I’d just whopped he ova in shinras office
[close]
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1673 on: May 05, 2020, 07:14:58 AM »
Less than 3 but probably more than 2.
Margs

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1674 on: May 05, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »
Ya you're very close to the end
fat

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1675 on: May 05, 2020, 10:07:41 AM »
Finished it, what a game :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1676 on: May 05, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
Is anyone else disappointed that Cloud wasted the line "Bring it on, bitch" on an interdimensional being and not Sephiroth instead? I mean come on guy I waited 20 years for this
fat

Himu

« Reply #1677 on: May 05, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
Ok, that was pretty rushed and out of nowhere but I guess?

Out of nowhere? :lol No! It wasn't! The Plot Ghosts plague the entire game! You didn't think you'd fight them?

I'm fine with Rufus' design besides his jacket. It sucks.
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1678 on: May 05, 2020, 11:31:13 AM »
:hyper

can’t wait for nomura to piss his autism all over me in part 2
[close]
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #1679 on: May 05, 2020, 11:33:52 AM »
:hyper

can’t wait for nomura to piss his autism all over me in part 2
[close]

Drown me in mako, daddy! :doge :hyper

The idea of an FFVII universe where Zack, Biggs, and Jessie lived excites the ever living fuck out of me.
[close]
IYKYK