Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 888979 times)

ShutUp

Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #5040 on: December 07, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/tomorrow-im-going-to-tell-my-dad-i-dont-want-anymore-contact-with-him.157697/#post-27156311
Update: I did it and my brother as well, we talked for over an hour and my dad just sat there not saying much. We left and said we will talk to him one day but we all need to focus on ourself.
The worse part of the day is finding out my 4k tv is cracked and broken.... 1500 down the drain... I barely used it this whole year. Had a 55 4k Sony 900e and now gotta look for a new TV. Hows the sony 950g?

I cut my father out of my life today but the worst part of the day was finding a crack in the overpriced TV I never used. Maybe I’ll buy a more expensive one... Any thoughts??

“Maybe dad will help pay for a new...oh wait, right, just cut ties with him”

*Christmas Day thread*

“Guys I’m so lonely, where did it go wrong for me? :(

nudemacusers

« Reply #5041 on: December 07, 2019, 04:42:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hillary-clinton-visits-the-howard-stern-show-for-her-first-interview.157162/post-27154319
Quote from: loquaciousJenny
I can never understand how people fell in love with this ghoul.

God, they're insufferable.
Just gonna take the time here to point to more blatant sexism in this thread, are we gonna need another 12 hours for our lovely mod team to decide if 3 days or a warning is good enough
Can you explain how "ghoul" is a sexist term, or are you going to continue to diminish actual sexism?
I'm trying to avoid derailing the thread too much, but if calling her a witch is sexist than moving one step from that should be too. Mocking her voice is apparently a 3 day, and in a previous thread calling her a cunt is worth just a warning, so I'm not sure how the grading in this class works.
Can you explain how "ghoul" is a sexist term, or are you going to continue to diminish actual sexism?
Eh, it could be a dog whistle, a replacement word for something more sexist
Why say dog whistle when they clearly mean bitch whistle :steiner
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

ShutUp

« Reply #5042 on: December 07, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »
Ghoul isn’t a sexist word you total waste of oxygen.

Clockwork5

« Reply #5043 on: December 07, 2019, 04:44:50 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/how-to-get-a-book-deal-in-ten-years-or-less-lindsay-ellis.157783/
Did she ever apologize about the transphobic jokes she made?
Did she ever spend the time to apologize for her tasteless transphobic joke?
Yes truly, how dare she, a woman, speak with confidence about anything on the internet?
Calling an adult woman a girl while complaining about her being self-important? always very cool.
Did she ever apologize for the racist, sexist, and drunk stuff?
Oh shit there is more tea?
yes and how dare you try to hand wave criticism about a critic who has made problematic statements in the past and speaks about wokeness and yet has no Pocs at her wedding
good work team

How come this is okay but mentioning that Billy Dee Williams once attacked his girlfriend isn't  :huh

If I didn't know better I'd say the mods are playing favorites.
User Banned: (Duration Pending) Do not reduce former/current domestic violence perpetrators to their previous work. Please recognize the intersectionality of Billy’s identities as a his/her POC.

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spud

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5045 on: December 07, 2019, 04:49:27 PM »
It's one step removed from "witch" which is a sexist term for people who live in swamps.

jorma

« Reply #5046 on: December 07, 2019, 05:36:27 PM »
It's one step removed from "witch" which is a sexist term for people who live in swamps.

witch -> bitch -> slut

and when you add all the potential dogwhistles he might as well have told hillary to go make a sammich

obvious perm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5047 on: December 07, 2019, 05:39:59 PM »
But she's a literal vampire pot belly goblin coming after us :hmph
🤴

« Reply #5048 on: December 07, 2019, 05:44:13 PM »
Uh-oh, people are starting to think on their  own in that office thread. Better one of those super woke mods that has all the powers now put an end to their little rebelion. Some group of marginalized something is probably super afraid right now and have nowhere to go.

Either that or schedule another summit.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5049 on: December 07, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
...Did OP get banned for correctly pointing out that Michael's racial antics in the early episodes are both uncomfortable and also the point to establish that he's not a good person despite what he thinks?

seriously, what the hell? is that all it takes to get banned around here?

Banned for that? Wow

What the fuck is up with that ban.

What is going on here?

that ban... lmao

What is that ban...

How many mods looked at that post and agreed it was downplaying racism?

Explain the reasoning.

This is the dumbest forum.

That OP ban is a bit tonedeaf, no?

lmao that ban

I was reading through the posts, why was op banned? Did I miss something? Also Kevin is the true goat

That's a ridiculous ban. OP is right, Michael is an offensive, bad person and highlighting that via the reactions of other characters is the core pillar of the show's humor. It's not downplaying racism. If you lack the intelligence to discern between bad thing and thing that look like bad thing, you probably shouldn't be a moderator.

Okay, this threads getting pretty good now!

Instead of derailing the thread over the ban, just report it and explain why you think it's an error.

Sure, people could do that, like the mods want, or they can just kick up a public fuss, change some avatars for a bit, and make the mods do another humiliating U-turn publically and actually overturn a ban.

benjipwns

« Reply #5050 on: December 07, 2019, 05:48:07 PM »
...Did OP get banned for correctly pointing out that Michael's racial antics in the early episodes are both uncomfortable and also the point to establish that he's not a good person despite what he thinks?
The problem with that segment, and the show in general, is that they want to have their characters do terrible things to other people (here being a complete racist buffoon) while also painting them as sympathetic characters that we should care deeply about. Michael pulling that shit was ignominious but instead of confronting the shitty behavior the episode turned it into "awe shucks, michael is a good guy at heart and he just really wanted to do something fun with the dundies so lets cheer him on". Like instead of reflecting on the racist antics and making that the central issue, the episode turned it into a michael pity party when others at the bar started making fun of him. I disagree entirely that they wanted to highlight that he wasnt a good guy. They absolutely turned the episode into the theme of making him a sympathetic good guy. Also OP didn't make that argument, they just flat out stated "lawl his racism is funny".
the OP clearly states that the Michael’s stupidity and lack of self awareness, and not asians, is the target of the joke. There’s a difference.
Seriously. OP didn’t condone Michael’s behavior but pointed out that he is the butt of the joke because he’s an ignorant and oblivious boss who does completely inappropriate things in his role. How was that worth a ban?
seriously, what the hell? is that all it takes to get banned around here?
Banned for that? Wow
What the fuck is up with that ban.
that ban... lmao
What is that ban...
Quote from: Volimar, former moderator
Instead of derailing the thread over the ban, just report it and explain why you think it's an error.
How many mods looked at that post and agreed it was downplaying racism?

Explain the reasoning.
This is the dumbest forum.
That OP ban is a bit tonedeaf, no?
lmao that ban
I was reading through the posts, why was op banned? Did I miss something?
That's a ridiculous ban. OP is right, Michael is an offensive, bad person and highlighting that via the reactions of other characters is the core pillar of the show's humor. It's not downplaying racism. If you lack the intelligence to discern between bad thing and thing that look like bad thing, you probably shouldn't be a moderator.
They are hopeless.
Bans are done by more than one mod. We need to know which ones thought that was downplaying racism and give an explanation of how they reached that conclusion.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5051 on: December 07, 2019, 05:50:08 PM »
:success

benjipwns

« Reply #5052 on: December 07, 2019, 05:59:04 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/5-nextgen-games-that-are-already-here.154170/post-27063645
User Banned (Permanent) - Cross forum drama, recently returning from a 2 week ban, and long history of infractions.

@grandwizob - I've started a thread on GAF where me and other developers in the industry will be contributing by explaining topics in graphics tech from games with a little more in-depth analysis from some sites like DF. We will try to answer some really popular questions like what seems to be a sticking point in current gen graphics and what to look for in the next-gen consoles. I'm verified on that site and people don't take me for a "joke" so there's a lot less trolling and more listening.

Cheers.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-post-college-life-supposed-to-be-this-boring-socially.157671/post-27146460
User warned: Antagonizing another user
and not only completing a 60 hour RPG (Trails of Cold Steel), but moving onto its sequel almost immediately
*snickers* Gosh, tell me more about how exciting you are!

Mate, sorry to break it to you but you're even duller than the people who you assume do nothing but watch Netflix. I'm genuinely amused that you lambast others for being boring, yet this is your example of high quality excitement.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #5053 on: December 07, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »
prison is basically time out for adults. Would you give toys to a kid put in time out?

:brain

benjipwns

« Reply #5054 on: December 07, 2019, 06:00:04 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/year-end-policy-updates-and-community-affairs.157629/post-27156635
Once again not hard to tell who folks with real concerns are vs. the people coming in here sad they might not get to post about blackface. Some of y'all ain't slick.
First of all, thank you for the new updates and transparency. I know you guys work hard.

I’m sorry but I want to bring this up. I don’t know if this is the right place to state this, but I’ve also noticed a big issue on this forum with toxic cravings for controversial threadbackfires against OPs asking for advice. Why is this a problem? Because the last two times I’ve seen it happen, it’s involved mental health issues. This affects people’s safety. I think when a thread involves mental health issues it warrants some tact and careful moderation and ive been seeing a lack of that.

Last week someone posted that they have borderline personality disorder and their girlfriend left them and they were feeling suicidal. Some posters, instead of offering consolation and deeescalation of suicidal tendencies, decided to interrogate OP about why they broke up, which led to more personal details, which turned into a snowball of people attacking OP and summoning a thread backfire. OP had them admitted he started dating his girlfriend when she was 16 and he was 19. People then started implying he was a predator, even though he explained he lived in a part of Australia where age of consent was 16 and it was irrelevant anyway to the fact that OP was suicidal and this was years later. Now I’m NOT defending any inappropriate physical contact with a minor, it’s just seemed like he appropriately explained that he did nothing wrong and the main priority of the thread was that someone with BPD was suicidal and asking for help *now*. People showed gross ignorance and lack of tact for the OP’s borderline personality disorder. I tried to intervene and defend OP and they thanked me later via PM, but the thread ended up getting locked.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-girlfriend-broke-off-a-6-year-long-relationship-i-am-very-mentally-ill-and-not-sure-how-i-can-handle-it.156608/

The second time was this week where a frustrated OP announced his friend tried to commit suicide and he was grieving with anger and frustration. Some posters proceeded to call the OP a shitty, selfish friend, and derailed the conversation when OP said from the get go that it was just his personal feelings. Those comments from backlashers were not helpful or relevant, just petty petitions for a thread backfire.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/friend-tried-to-commit-suicide.157293/

Is there something we can do regarding the toxic culture of people attacking OPs who are mentally ill or looking for help? It’s honestly getting dangerous IMO

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Any updates as to the population stats of the site? Are we seeing more users over time, or is the population largely stable?
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5055 on: December 07, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Are reports anonymous? I don't think I'm brave enough to do that otherwise.

benjipwns

« Reply #5056 on: December 07, 2019, 06:12:36 PM »
Is this ban a result of the new rules?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/on-another-viewing-of-the-office-and.157721/

The OP was banned for pointing out that The Office uses racism to show what a bad person Michael is while simultaneously being awkwardly funny. Should we restrain from acknowledging any media which contains an element including racism or sexism? And if so should we have an official list of "cancelled" properties? That way we can avoid people claiming ignorance.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #5057 on: December 07, 2019, 06:13:27 PM »
wokeness and yet has no Pocs at her wedding.

could I charge for gracing these people's event with diversity and bestowing upon them woke credentials? :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #5058 on: December 07, 2019, 06:15:30 PM »
I'm reporting all the posts complaining about that ban for modwhining with our shared riotous account.

Clockwork5

« Reply #5059 on: December 07, 2019, 06:15:42 PM »
We are definitely getting close to a summit being called for by the “downplayers of racism.” They are feeling pretty marginalized in the Office thread.

Bans are done by more than one mod. We need to know which ones thought that was downplaying racism and give an explanation of how they reached that conclusion.

But then we have this “Mods need anonymity in their bad decisions or else Nepenthe might off herself again” bootlicking little bitch.

this is getting awfully off-topic, but we definitely don't need the former. as cool as accountability would be, privacy is way more important. longer ban explanations would be cool though.

anyway on-topic haha the office amirite everybody, wacky jim please don't ban me I have an OT to update

benjipwns

« Reply #5060 on: December 07, 2019, 06:18:47 PM »
I like how their "privacy" argument for not showing which mod banned someone is the same "privacy" argument that police departments use for not allowing the public to know any details about wrongdoing.

The list of mods isn't hidden or anything. :lol

Clockwork5

« Reply #5061 on: December 07, 2019, 06:22:00 PM »
I like how their "privacy" argument for not showing which mod banned someone is the same "privacy" argument that police departments use for not allowing the public to know any details about wrongdoing.

The list of mods isn't hidden or anything. :lol
AMAB  :teehee

benjipwns

« Reply #5062 on: December 07, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/hillary-clinton-visits-the-howard-stern-show-for-her-first-interview.157162/post-27157268
How is a ghoul one step away from witch?
If somebody called her an ogre you think that wouldn't be sexist? You're calling her and ugly monster, it's open shut obvious, stop playing dumb.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
I call Hillary a ghoul because I suspect she eats the flesh of dead humans. No subtext.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5063 on: December 07, 2019, 06:30:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/on-another-viewing-of-the-office-and.157721/post-27159248
Fuck people defending this ugly humor. None of you would be saying the same thing if the character had done blackface or some kind of minstrel shown nonsense. Seems to me like some of y'all only don't find it a big deal because he's making fun of Asians.

Maybe don't describe such a horrible scene as "golden" while displaying your white privilege to not give a fuck all in one post? Saying that it's OK because it's just a character and they're making him out to be a terrible person doesn't change a damn thing when they are trying to get laughs from the audience.

thetylerrob

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5065 on: December 07, 2019, 06:34:09 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again I'm sure, but Animal Farm, 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 are meant to be warnings, not instruction manuals.
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #5066 on: December 07, 2019, 06:34:32 PM »
Right up there along with the transphobic and homophobic Friends show! What great company. What a great idea to look at the most popular shows with white people to determine what is and isn't a problem.

Clockwork5

« Reply #5067 on: December 07, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
Quote from: Volimar
Quote from: Servbot24
Are reports anonymous? I don't think I'm brave enough to do that otherwise.
Quote from: Volimar
Kind of silly unless you're abusive or actually defending racism in your report. Just saying "I think you made a mistake and here's why..." would be fine. It happens from time to time. Don't forget that at least one person probably reported the post which is how it ended up in front of mods in the first place.
Quote from: mnz
With how easily you apparently get banned on here (like OP), I wouldn't want to have the spotlight on me lol
Quote from: NinjaScooter
Considering they banned someone for apparently liking season 1 of the Office too hard, I can understand the apprehension.

Hehe, they’re going in hard on ol’ Volimar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5068 on: December 07, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
Is the new mod policy to snipe the OP and then have the mob fight it out.

If so I approve  8)
🤴

Pwnz

« Reply #5069 on: December 07, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »
This is the best one in the Sasha Grey thread.

Ron Paul: former mod

Would love to see her co-op with Mia Khalifa.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sasha-grey-plays-the-witcher-3.157436/post-27114228

Mia Khalifa does indeed stream on twitch.  Either playing video games or cooking.

(Image removed from quote.)

User Banned ( 2 Weeks): Objectifying and sexist commentary. Please do not reduce sex workers and former sex workers to their past work

Banned for wanting to see two twitch streamers together on a stream. 

Also, it's kind of strange how smart Sasha Grey came off but then she revealed she was pressured into porn by her BF who claimed to be part of a spy task force called the DIA or some bullshit.  He said her doing porn would be a great cover for him and his spy work.

I know that smart people can be emotionally manipulated and she was still a teenager at the time but it does change the way I look at her choices.  But in the end she came out of it with poise and dignity even if ERA thinks her past is shameful and all references of it should be banned.

Haha rofl.

Yeah I think re is worse than gaf's culture now. Just 90% of people are on re.

benjipwns

« Reply #5070 on: December 07, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Anyone who questions the marginalized moderators needs to be banned permanently, they can appeal from an e-mail account with their actual name if they want to be unbanned. Then marginalized members can feel safe knowing that the moderators know where to get the bigots.

moderators 👏 need 👏 to 👏 feel 👏 safe 👏 too 👏 👏

benjipwns

« Reply #5071 on: December 07, 2019, 06:43:45 PM »
whenever I bring up the emoji thing it automatically defaults to the hands clapping :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #5072 on: December 07, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »
On the one hand, laughing at racist characters who are supposed to be idiots shouldn’t be bannable.

On the other hand I swear subpar is one of the more abrasive posters I’ve ever had a back and forth with.

I’m torn.
Whenever subpar gets banned it seems like the mods being stupid, all his shitty posts are just fine. He's had a ban overturned before IIRC.

edit: from the banbot:
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and disingenuous commentary across multiple threads

seems you dont have an argument left in you. you clearly know hes a bigot. strange to even defend his bigotry as not bigotry.
ban message is gone

even better:
Member has been banned (24h): Disingenuous argumentation in a MCU related thread. Unnecessaril hostile and condescending towards other members.

So you don't take official statements as marketing. OK. Gotcha. Don't be inconsistent in the future, I got this on record. Ya just made the book of "gotchas" down the road.

FYI, It does matter if it was 4 years ago but AS YOU CAN TELL NOTHING HAS CHANGED THAT MUCH WITH THE STORY SO THE 2014 ARTICLES STILL STAND.

Clockwork5

« Reply #5073 on: December 07, 2019, 06:49:33 PM »
Yeah, spatula has the personality of a cheese grater. He has also slowly veered away from the approved groupthink stances on RE and has become a more entertaining version of his pompous self. At least now he has focused on annoying the “I have no where else to go” crowd and not the “It’s okay to laugh at Michael Scott” crowd.

benjipwns

« Reply #5074 on: December 07, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »
Do you want people to get banned for liking Friends then? Is that where we're at?
I'm still pretty new here and not going to try to tell anyone what should or shouldn't be banned. That's not for me to decide.

I will say that I'm side-eyeing anyone who professes their love for that hateful garbage. We can either try to move forward as a culture and work to make things better for marginalized people or cling on to hurtful garbage from the past like so many idiots in the South do with their Confederate statues that they like to pretend are not blatant messages of hate towards black people.
:jeb

« Reply #5075 on: December 07, 2019, 06:55:21 PM »
such a obvious troll, lmao

benjipwns

« Reply #5076 on: December 07, 2019, 07:03:58 PM »
The irony of OP’s ban is that The Dundies isn’t even a season 1 episode.
yikes, this is worse than racism

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5077 on: December 07, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
We're living in a hellscape that we can't tell if a random poster on Resetera is either being sarcastic or serious because it reads like a parody of the site.

benjipwns

« Reply #5078 on: December 07, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
I am a bit confused because I think there is a series about spies that has "office" in its title. First time I seriously read about this series because I didn't hear much about it before. So it is a comedy abot a company producing paper...And the boss Michael is racist?

Clockwork5

« Reply #5079 on: December 07, 2019, 07:17:05 PM »
I am a bit confused because I think there is a series about spies that has "office" in its title. First time I seriously read about this series because I didn't hear much about it before. So it is a comedy abot a company producing paper...And the boss Michael is racist?

Are they really going to walk into this thread and start JAQing off?

benjipwns

« Reply #5080 on: December 07, 2019, 07:21:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot2-i-have-no-pants-and-i-must-scream-read-op.65064/post-27136401
Quote from: Xaszatm, male
Well that Former Adult Film Star plays a video game thread went exactly as I thought it did...
Quote from: Delphine, moderator
It was incredibly disheartening to see basic sexist behavior being exhibited by people who very definitely claim to know better in many other situations.
It seems like people want to not consider adult film stars as real people and as such they feel free to engage in total sexist behaviors. It's disgusting.
It's exactly what it is. Objectifying and dehumanizing a human being because said human being was (or is) a sex worker. It reeks of so much misogyny, I'm baffled people engaged in such behavior repeatedly, and were still not seeing the problem when rightfully being called out about it. Basic feminism 101 lessons are flying way over their heads.
Yeah it was straight up awful.
Quote from: non-binary
It was really bad. Topics like that show how bad gaming side can be, and in general, this site. I know mods do the bet they can, and I appreciate their effort, but it is really hard to deal with the daily sexism, racism, classicism and more you deal with people that "just want to talk about games without taking into account the damage they might do with their views."
WTH am I reading? And all the "No fun allowed posts"?
Quote from: male
Ah I see, yeah that's pretty bad. The whole "of course every GUY knows who she is" attitude of a few posts bugs me. Toxic masculinity at its worst.
I was at work during lunch when I saw and replied on the thread. Now imagine my shock when I returned and saw alle the vile shit people were posting.
You would think ERA of all places wouldn't have this garbage but no, it is even worse than twitch comments.

Glad the ban hammer was used.
Yeah this forum can get toxic when certain discussions come up.

Never go into a thread about dating apps.
Jesus fucking christ, how dehumanizing. Good to see the thread became half a graveyard, but people should know better ffs.

Also:
At what point does something ceases to be just a fun thing made for the pleasure of being shocked, and instead begins to be a gross promotion of misogyny? Because this anonymous confessions thread really is upsetting me right now.
Posts like the 35 yo creep dating a 17 yo?
I noped out of there in like five minutes. Props to people that have the stomach to keep reading that stuff; I don't.

The first one I read (and replied to) was someone saying that he and his wife talked to cats and then "talked back" as them, which is something me and my SO also do (yeah, avatar quote). Let's just say the mood whiplash from the couple next ones was quite something.
Yep, just turned up to that thread and actually was skimming, saw your post about talking through cats, and though, "eh, this isn't bad, there's cute cat stories". Then I went to the next page.

I was not prepared and now feel sick to my stomach. That poster should be banned, fuck anomity, he's confessing to raping his wife (and yeah, forcing someone to get pregnant against their will is rape, and even the way he describes, am pretty sure he raped her via force as well.
I actually didn't read that specific confession you're talking about now (HOLY FUCKING SHIT!). It was other stuff I read (racism was a common thread) that made me nope out. Speaking of pregnancies; I also remember the woman who (allegedly, because I suspect over half of these confessions are blatant lies) got pregnant on purpose to prevent his boyfriend from leaving her. What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry, I guess we should stop bringing that garbage here; the topic of the thread is dark enough as is...
Quote from: Xaszatm
Wait, what did the anonymous confessor thread do this time?

...What the actual fuck!?! How fucking hard is it to respect women!?! And now he's just going to abandon after claiming to want a large family...that is disgusting and if I say anymore I'll probably get banned.
I figured from the getgo there'd be stuff like this, and I know the second I looked into the thread it'd be a matter of seeing stuff that couldn't be unseen or forgotten (literally a problem for me having OCD/Generalized Anxiety).

Related to your and SchrodingerC 's post and speaking of confessions, I was a moderator and then admin of an FF forum many many years ago. There was a user there who was a very out and proud pedophile. He made journal posts about this young girl he was in love with but was currently just friends with and would talk about his fantasy of running away with her. I brought it up with other mods and admins and they just shrugged it off saying it isn't actually against the rules. I decided to track his IP to the LA area, talked to a detective with the LAPD and faxed him a huge transcript of his posts (about half an inch thick) about his pining for this girl. Never heard back and I left the forum soon after (that and I just haven't been as much of an FF fan as I once was). It was one of things I appreciated about joining GAF and then this place was that unapologetic weeding out of undesirables.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5081 on: December 07, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/year-end-policy-updates-and-community-affairs.157629/post-27139962

Will Era ever impose a feature that hides threads from lurker view that are sensitive topics, like trans focused threads?

Would it ever be possible to identify someone who screenshots posts and submits them to hate sites?

"that hides screen shots of my twitter rage quit?"

Like you give a shit about anyone but yourself you sniveling fucking twat.

>implying hate sites can't just register moblin-tier lurker accounts to screenshot and archive to laugh at their sites
OH I'M LAFFIN'.

#NoTNoShade to moblin, bb. :heart
Don't these people know that the hardcore lurkers that clown them offsite have accounts? Heck, some have infiltrated private Discords.

You'd think, but sadly: No.

benjipwns

« Reply #5082 on: December 07, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/era-anonymous-confessions-2019-v3-0-one-version-higher-than-the-giftbot.150087/post-27159291
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

We have some serious concerns about the state of the confessions thread, so we're temp locking it while we do a review. We'll issue a staff post once that has happened.
They deleted three of them from the prior page too.

benjipwns

« Reply #5083 on: December 07, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/what-is-the-point-of-the-ipad.157811/
Recently Apple released a new version of the basic iPad for only ~$300, and I kind of want one because I've never had an iPad before and I don't own any other Apple products.. but I don't know what I would use it for.
get two then

Anti-Monitor

« Reply #5084 on: December 07, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot2-i-have-no-pants-and-i-must-scream-read-op.65064/post-27136401
Well that Former Adult Film Star plays a video game thread went exactly as I thought it did...
It was incredibly disheartening to see basic sexist behavior being exhibited by people who very definitely claim to know better in many other situations.
It seems like people want to not consider adult film stars as real people and as such they feel free to engage in total sexist behaviors. It's disgusting.
It's exactly what it is. Objectifying and dehumanizing a human being because said human being was (or is) a sex worker. It reeks of so much misogyny, I'm baffled people engaged in such behavior repeatedly, and were still not seeing the problem when rightfully being called out about it. Basic feminism 101 lessons are flying way over their heads.
Yeah it was straight up awful.
Quote from: non-binary
It was really bad. Topics like that show how bad gaming side can be, and in general, this site. I know mods do the bet they can, and I appreciate their effort, but it is really hard to deal with the daily sexism, racism, classicism and more you deal with people that "just want to talk about games without taking into account the damage they might do with their views."
WTH am I reading? And all the "No fun allowed posts"?
Ah I see, yeah that's pretty bad. The whole "of course every GUY knows who she is" attitude of a few posts bugs me. Toxic masculinity at its worst.
I was at work during lunch when I saw and replied on the thread. Now imagine my shock when I returned and saw alle the vile shit people were posting.
You would think ERA of all places wouldn't have this garbage but no, it is even worse than twitch comments.

Glad the ban hammer was used.
Yeah this forum can get toxic when certain discussions come up.

Never go into a thread about dating apps.
Jesus fucking christ, how dehumanizing. Good to see the thread became half a graveyard, but people should know better ffs.

Also:
At what point does something ceases to be just a fun thing made for the pleasure of being shocked, and instead begins to be a gross promotion of misogyny? Because this anonymous confessions thread really is upsetting me right now.
Posts like the 35 yo creep dating a 17 yo?
I noped out of there in like five minutes. Props to people that have the stomach to keep reading that stuff; I don't.

The first one I read (and replied to) was someone saying that he and his wife talked to cats and then "talked back" as them, which is something me and my SO also do (yeah, avatar quote). Let's just say the mood whiplash from the couple next ones was quite something.
Yep, just turned up to that thread and actually was skimming, saw your post about talking through cats, and though, "eh, this isn't bad, there's cute cat stories". Then I went to the next page.

I was not prepared and now feel sick to my stomach. That poster should be banned, fuck anomity, he's confessing to raping his wife (and yeah, forcing someone to get pregnant against their will is rape, and even the way he describes, am pretty sure he raped her via force as well.
I actually didn't read that specific confession you're talking about now (HOLY FUCKING SHIT!). It was other stuff I read (racism was a common thread) that made me nope out. Speaking of pregnancies; I also remember the woman who (allegedly, because I suspect over half of these confessions are blatant lies) got pregnant on purpose to prevent his boyfriend from leaving her. What could possibly go wrong?

Sorry, I guess we should stop bringing that garbage here; the topic of the thread is dark enough as is...
Quote from: Xaszatm
Wait, what did the anonymous confessor thread do this time?

...What the actual fuck!?! How fucking hard is it to respect women!?! And now he's just going to abandon after claiming to want a large family...that is disgusting and if I say anymore I'll probably get banned.
I figured from the getgo there'd be stuff like this, and I know the second I looked into the thread it'd be a matter of seeing stuff that couldn't be unseen or forgotten (literally a problem for me having OCD/Generalized Anxiety).

Related to your and SchrodingerC 's post and speaking of confessions, I was a moderator and then admin of an FF forum many many years ago. There was a user there who was a very out and proud pedophile. He made journal posts about this young girl he was in love with but was currently just friends with and would talk about his fantasy of running away with her. I brought it up with other mods and admins and they just shrugged it off saying it isn't actually against the rules. I decided to track his IP to the LA area, talked to a detective with the LAPD and faxed him a huge transcript of his posts (about half an inch thick) about his pining for this girl. Never heard back and I left the forum soon after (that and I just haven't been as much of an FF fan as I once was). It was one of things I appreciated about joining GAF and then this place was that unapologetic weeding out of undesirables.
That fucking thread is my Angry Dome

benjipwns

« Reply #5085 on: December 07, 2019, 07:38:53 PM »
I'm not sure why it's even allowed considering:
Hangout Threads

When a thread has been moved to the Hangouts it will usually have built up a community of regulars. These threads can sometimes develop a culture of their own; for this reason we allow members in those threads a little more leeway in regards to banter and similar behavior with each other. Please be aware however that the rules of the forum still apply and that every thread must be welcoming to newcomers. Do not use community threads to snipe at staff or other members.
If only Cerium didn't have to fight with the ads 193 hours a week so he could be made aware of what's happening. :fbm

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #5086 on: December 07, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
#FreeKitKat part 2 inbound

BisMarckie

« Reply #5087 on: December 07, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »
The why women criticize... thread is the biggest misnomer on the site after the pics that make you laugh thread,

benjipwns

« Reply #5088 on: December 07, 2019, 07:49:37 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/on-another-viewing-of-the-office-and.157721/post-27160789
"oh no please don't ban the serial, contrarian shitposter troll whose historical purpose on this forum was to stir up maximum shit in sensitive threads, all they did was talk about the office!"

benjipwns

« Reply #5089 on: December 07, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
The why women criticize... thread is the biggest misnomer on the site after the pics that make you laugh thread,
The funny thing to me is back when I started making the joke about it being male posters it had way fewer posters with "male" set as their gender than it does every time I look at it now. Even the thread creator used to be female!

benjipwns

thisismyusername

« Reply #5091 on: December 07, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »
(((Filler))) continuation of ALL COPS ARE BASTARDS, THEY DESERVE NO DONUTS:

https://www.facebook.com/jenny.hernandez.927/videos/2693310504080418/

Jesus Christ. The kid would've been safer toward the back of the truck instead of trying to crawl out and hold his hands up as a signal that he wasn't a robber.

This makes me irrationally angry.

benjipwns

« Reply #5092 on: December 07, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »
It'll be sad if this is what they use to force the naming of an "anonymous confessor" when Ketkat died without them exposing the acephobic anonymous confessor nor any of the acephobic moderators.

benjipwns

« Reply #5093 on: December 07, 2019, 08:00:18 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/on-another-viewing-of-the-office-and.157721/post-27160957
Quote from: JayC3
Thread is no longer about The Office and is now locked.

Regarding the ban in the OP: Even if the joke is supposed to be at Michael's expense, celebrating how "unfiltered" he is for putting on yellowface has made some Asian members uncomfortable. They're not wrong to feel that way.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #5094 on: December 07, 2019, 08:04:36 PM »
Is post-college life supposed to be this boring socially?

.... All in all, I feel like I’ve done a pretty decent job of staying active in my life: helping out around the community, practicing my music, trying to improve my Spanish, and not only completing a 60 hour RPG (Trails of Cold Steel), but moving onto its sequel almost immediately.....

https://www.resetera.com/threads/is-post-college-life-supposed-to-be-this-boring-socially.157671/#post-27140550

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5095 on: December 07, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
fillerFillerrellif continuation of ALL COPS ARE BASTARDS, THEY DESERVE NO DONUTS:

Jesus Christ. The kid would've been safer toward the back of the truck instead of trying to crawl out and hold his hands up as a signal that he wasn't a robber.

https://twitter.com/ToddHagopian/status/1203467568423428096

benjipwns

« Reply #5096 on: December 07, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/year-end-policy-updates-and-community-affairs.157629/post-27161132
This ban is absolutely ridiculous and closing the thread with that statement is cowardly.
OP literally got banned for liking The Office, the most watched show on Netflix.
Quote from: B-Dubs
He wasn't banned for liking The Office. He was banned for dismissing the racism in the scene as just "no filter." A thread in which we are discussing how best to handle bigotry isn't the place to talk about how certain kinds of bigotry aren't so bad. Do not hijack the thread over a single ban, given this is not what this thread is about.
Then maybe we should have a thread for that, because there is no place for it currently. Make that a policy. There are like 20 people in that thread not understanding the ban, are you aware of that?
looks like the year end policy update thread has run its course
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 08:24:56 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #5097 on: December 07, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/era-anonymous-confessions-2019-v3-0-one-version-higher-than-the-giftbot.150087/post-27161212
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION

Given the number of confessions that are breaking both site rules and the OP's own rules, this thread will remain locked until further notice. We are really disappointed by the state of this thread. This is supposed to be for fun, and while shocking confessions are part of that, bigotry and misogyny have to be red lines.

We'll be having conversations with the community and OP to figure out if the thread has a future and what the future should look like.

benjipwns

« Reply #5098 on: December 07, 2019, 08:22:21 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/asian-era-ot-we-dont-age.519/post-26485700
Reading what’s happening to the Trans community on Era really reminds me of a lot of what we’ve talked about here; a culture of discrimination and dog whistling and a mod team happy to look the other way
Pretty much. Era got the Liebfeld shoulder muscles patting themselves on the back at how some they are.
They're young, and it's all moral grandstanding. I doubt they even believe--let alone practice--what they preach. "There's no ethical consumption under capitalism." "Climate change will kill us all, so stop driving forever." "All religion is always bad." "Science is the only truth, but dinosaurs can't have feathers."

Only ERA users deal in absolutes.
Most of the posters here are white. That's all you really need to know.
They just keep coming like lemmings too.....
It’s just so fucking frustrating that it’s impossible to criticise Era from the left.

Try to do it here, and you’re dancing on fucking eggshells, and no matter how much you neuter your message, you’re still toying with a ban. Try to do it outside of Era, and it’s like shining the fucking bat signal for Gamergate types to co-opt your message into some anti-SJW screed

Whether by accident or intention (and I increasingly suspect it’s the latter), leadership have created a perfect little fiefdom for themselves with no meaningful mechanism for redress
do i even want to know? am i happier in ignorance?
White Lib Shit Era. That's all you need to know.
Have you guys noticed that there's a bit of a scandal/blowup involving the mod team and some segments of the LGBTQIA+ community here?
I made a post referencing it a few days ago. Shit is really bad, but not surprising given our own experiences with moderation here
I've only skimmed various pages of the 2 threads. I noticed that a few posters acknowledged the mod teams shortcoming in dealing with, not just issues affecting the LGBTQIA+ communities, but some POC communities as well - one poster even specifically cited Asian-Era.
I did. Because they are bad at it.
I've been reading about that off and on, and yeah, it's not too different from what we deal with.
Maaaybe they should've listened to minorities and lgbtq+ regarding bad faith posts from the start. 🤔 🤔 🤔
Ya, I'm mostly done posting on OT.
Era is only going to try to address the Trans-Era problem because they fucked that one up real bad. They aren’t gonna do shit for the rest of us.

But fucking solid props to the pointing out that Era has done other communities fucking dirty too.
Guess it's time for Asian Era to make an Exodus.
It is sad but the attitude towards Asians just keep getting worst.
Filipino American here, I don't really engage with a lot of community OTs and after the Trans Awareness week BS it's apparent to me I should be more involved with this stuff.

I guess it's weird for my first post in here to be about asking for a Discord invite, but if you'll have me I'd love to join that.
Anyone still here?
So who complained if they all left in droves weeks ago?

In a move that should surprise no one, white dudes are using “I support Hong Kong” to hit on Asian women, as I got to see at Dim Sum yesterday.

I probably said “Oh you’re fucking kidding me.” At the appropriate volume in which to shame this person.
Hobbes?

thisismyusername

« Reply #5099 on: December 07, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »
fillerFillerrellif continuation of ALL COPS ARE BASTARDS, THEY DESERVE NO DONUTS:

https://twitter.com/ToddHagopian/status/1203467568423428096

Oh lawd. I thought this was like a TheHardTimes article but it's real.

#ACAB indeed.