Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 31613 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Xbox Series X - the next generation of terrible names
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Were there even theaters in the US that could show Gemini Man at 4k if you wanted to see it?

I'm not sure the 4k and 8k takeover is happening even in the next decade.

And lets be honest, the PS5 and Xbox Series X are still going to be playing games at 1080p, 1440p, and maybe 4k.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A Mod
« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
Watch 4K on compressed to hell streaming services, brehs!  :doge

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #122 on: December 15, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
It took almost 20 years for 1080p to get into 75% of house holds, expecting people to do 4K and then 8K when there is still a significant chunk of the US using CRTs still is absurd. DVDs still outsell bluray and people jumped more from DVD to streaming than bluray. For 8K you're going to need a new absurdly expensive TV, a new disc player, start your collection all over AGAIN, and if you're going to stream hope you don't live in most places that still have data caps.

Where in the fuck are there still large groups of people with CRTs in the US? Do you live in the most meth infested part of Montana? What bearing do old meth rats have on common patterns in technology and retail?

EDIT: What's more likely to happen, advancements in technology that are negligible or not necessarily important to keep manufacturing and and selling consumer electronics, or that we have reached the absolute peak and that TVs are going to display the same resolution for the rest of your life?

I think Samsung and LG are gonna make higher resolution TVs than 4k brehs.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:17:30 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #123 on: December 15, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »
1440p is the thinking man's choice for modern PC game resolution. It upscales very well to a 4k display, you don't have to turn off all the eye candy, and you still get good framerates.
sup

Rahxephon91

« Reply #124 on: December 15, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
It took almost 20 years for 1080p to get into 75% of house holds, expecting people to do 4K and then 8K when there is still a significant chunk of the US using CRTs still is absurd. DVDs still outsell bluray and people jumped more from DVD to streaming than bluray. For 8K you're going to need a new absurdly expensive TV, a new disc player, start your collection all over AGAIN, and if you're going to stream hope you don't live in most places that still have data caps.

Where in the fuck are there still large groups of people with CRTs in the US? Do you live in the most meth infested part of Montana? What bearing do old meth rats have on common patterns in technology and retail?

I mean I live in the Chicago metropolitan area and have done years of plumbing and now medical home set-ups. So I've been in plenty of homes and yeah CRTs are still widely used. Mostly old people, so they are out of the target demo here. But also I've seen plenty of average people have thier shitty cheap LCDs playing regular SD NBC or FOX or whatever. Or streaming Friends or the office and not giving a shit what resolution its in. You have Americans going crazy on Black Friday for the Hitatachi whatever shit tv that may be in 4k, but will probably have a old Roku device plugged into that that negates whatever 4k the tv has. lets not even get started on HDR. Dolby Vision what? HDR10 who cares?

My "girlfriend" thinks the regular xbox one is perfectly fine. I visited Target to talk to my old boss and he sold a Digital Only Xbox to a lady for Xmas because her son only cared about Fortnite. My sister and her family were wowed by thier 70inch Philips tv and the soundbar is cool enough for thier home theater.

I just feel as enthusiasts, like we do need perspective here.

I asked my friend if he wanted to go see Gemni man because the AMC here at least had the 60 FPS 1080p version. He said he already watched a rip off of Codi. The thing people kept buying up Target's supply of Fire Sticks last year for.

I don't think these are concerns or interests most people have.

And while I don't think these things won't eventually happen. I just don't think it's going to be anytime son. And when it does who even know what media consumption will be.

But as I said before. I don't even expect 4k to be the standard for next gen consoles. I'm sure where going to see plenty if not most games hit under that resolution. Under 1080p is still very common now on the base systems.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:35:37 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
:goldberg
I'd bet heavily on 8k being an eventual flop. it is completely pointless from a scientific standpoint, increases costs of film and game dev significantly and is a terrible decision for consumers.

I get what you guys are saying, but it's going to happen at some point.  Sure, it's gonna be a while I'm sure, but it's not going to be a "flop" and eventually will replace 4K and the like. 
ど助平

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
Dolby Vision is great, I wish more movies would use it. Colors really pop.
sup

mormapope

« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
:goldberg
I'd bet heavily on 8k being an eventual flop. it is completely pointless from a scientific standpoint, increases costs of film and game dev significantly and is a terrible decision for consumers.

I get what you guys are saying, but it's going to happen at some point.  Sure, it's gonna be a while I'm sure, but it's not going to be a "flop" and eventually will replace 4K and the like.

Case in point

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q900-series-4320p-smart-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6355633.p?skuId=6355633&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930mfhZDzNWpMVeZpkryoietjGW3apI3_z63vRFHJ8o4HfqQUwMttcQwaAqMAEALw_wcB

8k tv for $2500. This has been a trend for at least 40 years at this point, super high end stuff that at one point costs a lot to manufacture, and then when technology costs lower, high end replaces the standard.

This $2500 TV is going to be $400-$600 in four to five years. By that time, there'll be a successor to HDR probably too.
OH!

Chooky

« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2019, 09:29:49 PM »
4k is still for freak nerds only; don't delude yourselves

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2019, 09:34:16 PM »
I think we’ve made enough strides in resolution for now. I’d like to see other aspects of graphical fidelity go up before we move on from 4K.

8K for movies could be worth it though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2019, 09:58:49 PM »
4k is still for freak nerds only; don't delude yourselves

Who gives a shit about content?  4K TVs are already cheap as hell.  A lot of video out there still isn't even 1080P yet, but it doesn't matter.  The tech is being developed and costs keep going down.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 10:13:11 PM by pork »
ど助平

Chooky

« Reply #131 on: December 15, 2019, 10:06:01 PM »
I think we’ve made enough strides in resolution for now. I’d like to see other aspects of graphical fidelity go up before we move on from 4K.

hell yeah super excited to see the advances in physics for next gen. botw was like a nice teaser of how nice a game can look with the wind blowing through the grass and whipping the rain around.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2019, 10:12:16 PM »

8K for movies could be worth it though.

Movies are recorded in 8K generally these days, that's literally where resolution is going to bottom out. The return on investment beyond that is so small. Progress will be made but I could see 8K lasting 30 years...
🕊

naff

• <̽̎̏ͨͣ͞҉̯͔̩̩͕ͅ>̫͔͍̥͉̳͚͓͗͋̄̑ͧ̓̔̏ͭ̿͌ͫ́̒́ͩ̀͡͞ͅ
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2019, 03:30:50 AM »
obvs the sets and sources capable (eg this Series X) of pushing 8k will be readily available. i meant content will be a flop, and can't see it taking off outside of the odd nature doco, big budget movies, and some aaa games with bad framerates and hampered effects. at least for the foreseeable future the benefits with the vast majority of media will come from upscaling which, eh, ymmv.

◕‿◕

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #134 on: December 16, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
It is pretty weird how 4k hardware has far outpaced 4k content. Other than video games, cable/satellite TV  providers have very meager 4k content if at all.
©ZH

kingv

« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2019, 11:03:36 AM »
I think most people are dumb and just think their 4K sets are showing 4K whatever just because the TV is 4K. even though they are just getting SD.

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2019, 11:06:52 AM »
I don't know. People thought digital was the future last gen. And this generation I feel like if anything physical came back. Plenty of games have gotten physical releases or re-releases when last gen they probably would have been digital. Probably lots of reasons for this, maybe one of them being comcast thinks its cool to give me a 1tb monthly limit.

Digital has continuously represented more and more of the market every quarter;  Sony announced earlier this year they'd crossed the 50% threshold for both total revenue and for their individual game releases.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2019, 12:26:04 PM »
Well I didn’t say digital wasn’t overtaking or anything. My point was that physical hasn’t actually gone anywhere. If anything it seems more games have gotten a physical release then they would have last gen. I don’t buy digital and haven’t missed out on anything.

mormapope

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Well I didn’t say digital wasn’t overtaking or anything. My point was that physical hasn’t actually gone anywhere. If anything it seems more games have gotten a physical release then they would have last gen. I don’t buy digital and haven’t missed out on anything.

A lot of those smaller or indie/niche games wouldn't have been released at all on consoles if releasing digitally wasn't an option. Last gen, digital just started to take off for consoles around the tail end of the generation.
OH!

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2019, 01:52:19 PM »
The danger is that physical game sales become <30% of the market and it enters a "death spiral" of dwindling support.

Physical games will only exist as long as the consoles themselves support them, and both MS and Sony have experimented with digital-only systems in the past.

This is different from other mediums; you can buy a CD player from anyone and it'll play all* CDs, so there's incentives to continue producing CDs (even if they make less money.) People are still publishing on vinyl! With an Xbox One game, that isn't possible.**

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*OK yeah there's format fuckery, but you know what I mean.
[close]

** But I suppose it is possible for older systems; China is pumping out so many fake Pokemon Blue cartridges these days it could make your head spin.

So once again the only problem at the end of the day is DRM.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:56:27 PM by Tasty Meat »
🕊

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
It is pretty weird how 4k hardware has far outpaced 4k content. Other than video games, cable/satellite TV  providers have very meager 4k content if at all.

Even most “HD” cable offerings are still just 720p/1080i so it’s really no wonder.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »

Even most “HD” cable offerings are still just 720p/1080i so it’s really no wonder.

To get Directv 4k service, a tech has to come to the house and put a new nose on the sat. dish and you need a special box on the 4k TV. Then they tell you that you need a reliable 22MB/sec internet bandwidth. That makes you wonder if the channel is even over the air. You get 1 full time channel for content and 2 for special events and it can be weeks in between events. At least it's free because it isn't worth paying any extra for.
©ZH

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2019, 05:20:30 PM »
From business insider
"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider, "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

Like the first Xbox generation, the next one is simply named "Xbox."

It's a basic rebranding, but a meaningful one that could help to simplify the Xbox line for interested consumers. It also clarifies Microsoft's intention with its console line.

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," the Microsoft rep told us.
:dizzy
GAMER

Svejk

« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »
From business insider
"The name we're carrying forward to the next generation is simply Xbox," a Microsoft representative told Business Insider, "And at The Game Awards you saw that name come to life through the Xbox Series X."

It's a basic rebranding, but a meaningful one that could help to simplify the Xbox line for interested consumers. It also clarifies Microsoft's intention with its console line.

"Similar to what fans have seen with previous generations, the name 'Xbox Series X' allows room for additional consoles in the future," the Microsoft rep told us.

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
GAMER

Rahxephon91

« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Why would anyone think this multiple models and name idea is good. It has never worked.

Sony really lucked out with the simple number naming scheme.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
Naw man it worked great for the Wii U!
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
:hmm

remy

« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2019, 09:30:05 PM »
Why would anyone think this multiple models and name idea is good. It has never worked.

Sony really lucked out with the simple number naming scheme.
They're looking at the iPad

They should've called it xbox 6  :doge

Svejk

« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
Didn't they name the OG one because it made by people from Generation X?  They should call the next one BoomBox, lolamiright?
I don't keep up with generation names so I dunno.  :doge making shit up here.
[close]

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2019, 10:09:28 PM »
I think it was mainly called the Xbox cause it utilized DirectX.
Hi

naff

• <̽̎̏ͨͣ͞҉̯͔̩̩͕ͅ>̫͔͍̥͉̳͚͓͗͋̄̑ͧ̓̔̏ͭ̿͌ͫ́̒́ͩ̀͡͞ͅ
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
what i really want to know is, will the X rotate like the PS2 logo?
◕‿◕

benjipwns

• time to get in love formation
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Movies are recorded in 8K generally these days, that's literally where resolution is going to bottom out. The return on investment beyond that is so small. Progress will be made but I could see 8K lasting 30 years...
Storage plus speeds.

DVD was a pretty good perfect storm of things coming together that gave it and its associated technologies such a long run. Everything since then has hit and been surpassed or the market has changed right as when it should have hit that point to take off. Streaming becoming mainstream really did a number on this I think even if probably long term is helping to slowly bump up the resolutions. I think Tasty's right in that one of these is going to stick around for costs reasons and it'll just default into being a standard.

To get Directv 4k service, a tech has to come to the house and put a new nose on the sat. dish and you need a special box on the 4k TV. Then they tell you that you need a reliable 22MB/sec internet bandwidth. That makes you wonder if the channel is even over the air. You get 1 full time channel for content and 2 for special events and it can be weeks in between events. At least it's free because it isn't worth paying any extra for.
The HDTV standard that was accepted in the U.S. (and followed by many other countries) doesn't support 1080p. Only 720p and 1080i, as a result the broadcasters don't broadcast over that. The cable networks unless otherwise specified run off the same base hardware because they know the TVs can at least receive that.

There is a higher level standard that changes codecs but it's not required, something like five stations in the U.S. use it and on an alternate feed of their main channel. A bunch of German stations switched to it but I believe that was the only country that did. It also only allows for certain frame rates.

There is at this point a bandwidth limitation on the signal. The codecs used simply cannot handle it on both ends. That's why all the 4K stuff uses satellites and special decoding hardware. IIRC, for over the air TV you can't even switch to a codec like HEVC because all the digital stuff people bought only does MPEG, a lot of them are still MPEG2 even. (IIRC that "updated codec standard" calls for MPEG4, which lots of TVs now support natively due to streaming, downloaded videos, etc.) HEVC, for example, could solve the bandwidth problem but then you need to decode it in your TV fast. And when nobody is broadcasting in it anyway...

I think internet bandwidth's continuing jumps (even if not as we all wish) will simply just phase it out, and since they're all the same companies anyway they'll give you "free local TV" with internet and the FCC will be fine with that. They'll just let the over-the-air standard stay where it is and the networks will just run 720p downcodes.

I don't know if anybody here fucks with OTA digital TV but I've never seen it not be shit quality that drops out constantly unless you have a big ol antenna on the house. It's sometimes worth it though to see a 720p Always Sunny episode letterboxed improperly inside a 480p frame as the video pauses and cuts out every two minutes.

kingv

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2019, 07:52:58 AM »
My experience with OTA Digital TV is that it typically looks better than what comes out of the cable box.

Way less compression. But it really depends how close to towers you live.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:30:51 AM by kingv »

Brehvolution

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2019, 09:58:27 AM »
Xbx
©ZH

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
I don't think the name is going to matter that much;  it'll be heavily marketed as a new console..  it'll probably be the main one displayed in stores / have marketing pages on Amazon/etc. 

Only nerds know the One X even exists and none of us are actually confused, we just think the name is dumb.  There's a difference.

kingv

« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2019, 11:31:49 AM »
Agreed, also, the reason Wii U is confusing is partly because Nintendo’s commercials are/were shitty and weird.

BisMarckie

« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
You know what was also shitty and weird?
The Wii U :rodney

BisMarckie

« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
Some people are acting like the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if it had a different name and completely forget that it was a shitty device nobody wanted.

mormapope

« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
Most criticism of how confusing the name is, is fanboy concern trolling/hysteria. As if children asking for Christmas presents are the main demographic for the most expensive console in stores.

The first game revealed for Sexbox is a sequel to a game about crippling mental and psychological illness. It wasn't Fortnite.  :lol

Most gamers continue to prove how fucking stupid they are.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
Some people are acting like the Wii U would have sold like hotcakes if it had a different name and completely forget that it was a shitty device nobody wanted.

It would have sold like crazy if they just marketed it right:

:wiiu :wiiu :wiiu
[close]
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:51:21 AM by pork »
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »
The Wii-U was pretty close to the Switch in design and execution. Nintendo at that time though still had the 3DS for a dedicated handheld and was fairly new. Along with Nintendo chasing after tablet popularity as tablets were still pretty new and fresh at the time.

Replace the Wii console with a dock, and beef up the Wii-U tablet a bit so you could just use the tablet, it would be very similar to the Switch.
OH!

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2019, 12:07:56 PM »
Wii U was a Switch beta.

But hardware beta tests are more painful/costly than software ones. :lol
🕊

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »
Nintendo created a console named Wii; followed by a series of accessories called Wii-{Name}.   They then marketed Wii-U by showing off the tablet controller which sure as shit looks like.. a console accessory.  They also kept selling Wii/Wii-Fit/and everything else alongside it.   Nobody wanted it either way, so it didn't really matter.. accessory.. new console.. the tablet controller idea sucked so it failed.

MS already created weird as hell naming conventions for their consoles;  they went from Xbox 360 to Xbox One for God's sake.

How did they manage to release a console with a name that literally makes it sound like it came out before the last one w/o confusion?  Because they abandoned the old device, stopped marketing it and really selling it, and marketed the new device as the new device. 

If they do plan on releasing their alleged lower-power "Lockhart" device that might cause some confusion, that's never been done before... but I doubt the names will be the problem.   They aren't selling much hardware now, and will be pushing this new stuff for pre-order once E3 starts heavily and probably discontinuing old devices either way.   Xbox Series X and Series L/S/whatever will be what you can buy and what is getting marketed.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
From business insider

Xbox (2001)
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox (2020)

MS was always big on the Hollywoodification of gaming, so not much surprise they're adopting the same shitty naming scheme as a film franchise that's had one too many reboots.
🕊

mormapope

« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
From business insider

Xbox (2001)
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox (2020)

MS was always big on the Hollywoodification of gaming, so not much surprise they're adopting the same shitty naming scheme as a film franchise that's had one too many reboots.

Eh, that's Sony you're talking about. The Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War, all incredibly cinematic games. ResetEra boys pride themselves on being fans of cinematic single player games, that's Sony's schtick.

Sony has also produced some of the worst movies in the past decade,so there's that too
OH!

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
I read that the latest Surface is called the Surface Pro X. They just like the X.

Nintendo was always focused on kids and family friendly entertainment, SEGA targeted sexually confused teenagers and Playstation 'grown ups'...

Microsoft were just edgy bois, which is why their recent 'diversity/inclusiveness' push is fucking hilarious if you remember them promoting imaginary velocity girls with Perfect Dark Zero music videos.
The sweaty edgelord fat nerd identity is ingrained so deep into the DNA of Microsoft that no matter how many blue haired fluid gender project managers they roll out or how many times they rebrand Microsoft Xbox Game Studios,
it'll never not be fake if they name all their products after a graphics API or Sonic XTreme
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 01:51:14 PM by Nintex »
GAMER

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2019, 01:44:02 PM »
Yeah and Windows 10X is the name of the dual-screen version of the OS.

Whoever's in charge of naming things at MS should be fired.
🕊

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2019, 01:50:44 PM »
DirectX-Box Series X
GAMER

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2019, 02:07:47 PM »
Wii U was a shit name and goofy console but it gave us Mario Maker 1 and BOTW, the two best Nintendy games of the 2010s. So Xbox Series X only has to give us two games as good as that to make up for the name.

Svejk

« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2019, 02:27:00 PM »
Now if they starting going OG xbox and doing follow ups for Otogi, JSRF and GunValkyrie?  Shooooooo

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
From business insider

Xbox (2001)
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox (2020)

Eh, that's Sony you're talking about. The Last of Us, Uncharted, and God of War, all incredibly cinematic games. ResetEra boys pride themselves on being fans of cinematic single player games, that's Sony's schtick.

Sony has also produced some of the worst movies in the past decade,so there's that too

I think you completely missed the point.

mormapope

« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »
From business insider

Xbox (2001)
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox (2020)

I think you completely missed the point.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.
OH!

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »
Tasty was comparing the naming convention to modern movie sequels where they eventually re-release a movie named the same as the original.

Rambo, Halloween, Final Destination, etc.

But I'm confused what else they've done to "Hollywoodify" gaming. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2019, 06:52:52 PM »
it seems more like they are using the ipad name model. or cars is another one, there's like 5 different trim levels on many car models now and there will be probably 3-5 different xboxes over this next gen.

hell just for my jetta there's 4 different trims: S, SE, SEL and GLI and those mean just as little as a name as an Xbox S or X or E :lol
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:59:37 PM by nachobro »

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2019, 07:08:33 PM »
Tasty was comparing the naming convention to modern movie sequels where they eventually re-release a movie named the same as the original.

Rambo, Halloween, Final Destination, etc.

But I'm confused what else they've done to "Hollywoodify" gaming. 

Ehhh that was just my impression of MS in the Xbox-Xbox 360 era, especially centered at the 360's launch. Sony at that point wasn't really on the Hollywoodification trend and wouldn't be (I don't think) until Uncharted 1/2.
🕊

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Microsoft wasn't centered on anything.
The Xbox never got beyond: "HALO is cool no?"

Then they went ahead and decided that apart from a Quake/Half Life 'killer' they needed to take on Gran Turismo(Forza), Need for Speed(PGR) and a bunch of other games.
The only reason Lost Odyssey existed was because they didn't have Final Fantasy. And Blue Dragon was simply an answer to Dragon Quest as Fable was to Zelda.

Once the Wii took off they abandoned all that and told Rare to clone it, failing horribly in the process.
I'm pretty excited to see what Spencer will do with all those studios and if they finally have a software strategy.
GAMER

mormapope

« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »
Xbox was a hardcore tryhard gaming enthusiast brand, and like Wrath said, Xbox was originally bringing PC gaming to the console space. The first half of the 360's life was like this too. Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Call of Duty 2, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War, all very Western as fuck PC styled games that came out in 2006 (Gears of War is basically dudebro RE4 with great multiplayer).

Then the Kinect era happened. And then the Xbox One reveal and vision happened. Kinect was about chasing Wii money. Xbox One was originally about being a....TV cable box? Quite possibly the worst vision possible. I'd argue the original Xbox One reveal and vision was worse than Wii-U.

Sony has been propping up cinematic game stuff for a long time now. MGS4 after all was considered the killer app by critics at the time, the reason you should get a PS3. A game with hour long cutscenes. Incessantly.

The PS3 in general was pitched as a multimedia switchblade master box. A complete and utter fucking mess of a console initially.
OH!

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
People buying Kinect like crazy really fucked up MS lol

But it was obvious most people bought it literally to use basic voice commands and not for games, I don’t know how MS didn’t pick up on that.

They sold like 10 million units and their top selling games barely sold shit even with BOGO sales.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2019, 08:57:27 PM »
I mean I guess you can criticize "cinematic single player games" as Sony's one trick pony move, but like what has MS had to offer this gen on the exclusive front?

Lackluster Halo and Gear's games from assembly line studios that don't know how to capture what people liked about the original games. So they just make tired sequels that struggle for relevancy?

False starts of franchises that never happen in Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive?

A Forza machine?

Mediocre games like State of Decay and whatever.

Xbox as a gaming system really lacks an identity and something exciting. Sure you can not care about God of War and Uncharted, but those are really top of the line experiences in thier space. I really doubt Hellblade 2 from a studio that has struggled to do anything is going to match what Sony and it's studios have been years mastering.

And in the end that's really my problem with the platform. Yeah I know they bought all those studios(though plenty of them don't inspire confidence), but even with the One X MS really did not prove themselves on this front. Power, services, sure I guess. But power and games weren't excactly lacking on the Playstation either.