Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 31615 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Xbox Series X - the next generation of terrible names
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »
xbox is basically just the services box. pay them monthly and you can just get games delivered to you. or just pay for the console and games monthly now. plus it does all the video streaming and you can control it with your voice with kinect (or alexa or google home).

x1 didn't work as well as a standalone box but game pass made it more appealing. having all the stuff in game pass carry forward day one will start the next one off on a bit of a better foot imo. even if ms ends up putting xgs games on other platforms next gen (which i expect) they will be "free" on game pass so that's a bit of an incentive to get their box.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:27:59 PM by nachobro »

benjipwns

• time to get in love formation
« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2019, 12:11:53 AM »
I remember the Wii U confusion all being at the start, and again limited to the online gaming sphere, as they were trying to put together facts and rumors. People really wanted it to be a Switch for the original Wii too. Then everybody saw the new box and Nintendo confirmed it was definitely a new console.

Wii sales had already dropped off for some time, except in software, so the Wii U not igniting shouldn't have been surprising. I'm sure there were people who thought it was totally an add-on like Wii Fit and so on but I doubt it was very many people to where it did anything. Every single console has to deal with uninformed consumers who barely know anything about it. The only real times it impacts are like with the original 360 launch because developers couldn't know if there was a HD included or not.

Microsoft has tried every single time to rebrand Xbox as the BRAND and gloss over the actual machine that's out. Microsoft regularly has all kinds of crazy overthought naming conventions for their big projects when they have years to work on them, remember Vista? XP? ME? ZUNE? They also desperately want to avoid being one number lower than PlayStation even though just sticking a number on the end has shown to have its own problems. But they should totally just be like fuck it, we're counting the S and X, this is the XBOX SIX.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And then call the Lockhart model the Xbox 5. :teehee
[close]

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #182 on: December 18, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »
I liked the early era before the Kinect-ization of the 360, when the PS3 had a failure to launch and when MS was throwing money at Japanese devs for timed exclusives... we got some good games out of it (Lost Odyssey, the first Dead Rising, Vesperia, Virtua Fighter 5, and a heap of amazing shmups), even though in the long run it probably set back the devs who took MS money a few years. Doubt that'll ever happen again (if anything Japanese PS4/Switch/PC multiplats won't skip Xbox this time around), but I'd still kill for a new Lost Odyssey.
^_^

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2019, 05:30:41 PM »
MS brought hard drives and coherent online systems to consoles, and basically helped popularize the console FPS (obviously GoldenEye gets tons of credit, but the space was rather stagnant after that and attempts to bring PC FPS to consoles all sucked).    I think their presence in general is responsible for a lot of advancements in the space that might not have happened.

They just really fucked up focusing on Kinect, barely focusing on building game studios and being rather tone def about the DRM stuff.

However that DRM stuff sounded awesome to me;  I hate how physical purchases give you basically half the software license a digital purchase does for instance.  Being able to buy disks and still do stuff like family sharing and the "primary console" trick to do 2 players at once would have been great.

I don't really give a shit about whether they were "dude bro" or "try hard" or whatever weird insults people throw at the brand;  the tech and games were great for a long time and I couldn't care less about the marketing.  People thinking Sony gave a shit about them because of their marketing around the PS4 was fucking hilarious though.  Sony the king of all DRM across all digital products lol
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 05:35:37 PM by riotous »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #184 on: December 18, 2019, 05:51:43 PM »
MS brought hard drives and coherent online systems to consoles, and basically helped popularize the console FPS (obviously GoldenEye gets tons of credit, but the space was rather stagnant after that and attempts to bring PC FPS to consoles all sucked).    I think their presence in general is responsible for a lot of advancements in the space that might not have happened.

They just really fucked up focusing on Kinect, barely focusing on building game studios and being rather tone def about the DRM stuff.

However that DRM stuff sounded awesome to me;  I hate how physical purchases give you basically half the software license a digital purchase does for instance.  Being able to buy disks and still do stuff like family sharing and the "primary console" trick to do 2 players at once would have been great.

I don't really give a shit about whether they were "dude bro" or "try hard" or whatever weird insults people throw at the brand;  the tech and games were great for a long time and I couldn't care less about the marketing.  People thinking Sony gave a shit about them because of their marketing around the PS4 was fucking hilarious though.  Sony the king of all DRM across all digital products lol

Even though I used those words, I'm probably one of five members on The Bire that views Xbox as a whole quite favorably and has been my main console of choice since 2004.  :doge

Almost 148,000 gamerscore over the course of 13 years, and 10,000 hours on Xbone alone, not counting 360 playtime.
OH!

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #185 on: December 18, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »
I think most of us view XB good as a whole, but there was a really bad stretch there.

Overall XB has been pretty good, I was a late adopter as didn't see anything that justified the first console until the Sega announcements (I picked one up for JSRF launch). Once they moved on from the duke it was best platform by far for multiplats and it had some good exclusives. From 360 launch until the kinect lean they honestly dominated, but completely lost the plot around kinect. There was jack shit for exclusives, and the X1 launch was a dumpster fire. I grabbed one for the Horizons, but it was inferior to PS4 IMO. From the X on they've been great.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
If Microsoft can get back to their early 360 glory in terms of exclusives then they’ll give Sony a run for their money imo. The hardware and services are already there.

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2019, 02:26:59 PM »
Microsoft needs some fire up their ass with the software game.
Hellblade is a step in the right direction I guess.
GAMER

Svejk

« Reply #188 on: December 19, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »
The rumors brewing on  :reeeee is that MS was supposedly shopping for studios in Poland.  If they managed to snag CDPR, ... That'd be playing with my emotions, smokey.

Tasty

• 🌺 Neo Flower Child 🌸
« Reply #189 on: December 19, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »
The rumors brewing on  :reeeee is that MS was supposedly shopping for studios in Poland.  If they managed to snag CDPR, ... That'd be playing with my emotions, smokey.

Lulz RE would go fully Sony at that point.
🕊

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #190 on: December 19, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
Who do you think paid Grimes to emerge out of a BOX at the VGA's?
GAMER

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #191 on: December 19, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
Who do you think paid Grimes to emerge out of a BOX at the VGA's?

I just figured dating Elon Musk would make anyone turn to box
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #192 on: December 19, 2019, 08:57:25 PM »
If Microsoft can get back to their early 360 glory in terms of exclusives then they’ll give Sony a run for their money imo. The hardware and services are already there.

Microsoft hasn't had a Goty first party game since Gears of War and that was in 2006 so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ill prob end up buying this anyway but not for MS' lineup.

EightBitNate

« Reply #193 on: December 20, 2019, 12:36:11 AM »
I’m pretty involved with the Xbox community on RE, and the amount of straight up unapologetic Xbox corporate shills is insane. There’s quite a few tweets I’d post here but it’d be awkward in the Discord groups I’m in.

They do shit like create fake marketing materials and pull predictions out of their ass, all on their own time. PlayStation side is the exact same way. I thought that level of extreme fanboyism died off in the early 10s, but nope.  Grown ass men who have nothing better to do but go to bat for these mega corporations.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #194 on: December 20, 2019, 01:00:37 AM »
I’m pretty involved with the Xbox community on RE

EightBitNate

« Reply #195 on: December 20, 2019, 01:16:50 AM »
I’m pretty involved with the Xbox community on RE

(Image removed from quote.)

Gears mostly, plus it’s funny to talk shit about the Sony shilling.

kingv

« Reply #196 on: December 20, 2019, 09:31:59 AM »
Imagine leaving those discord’s instead of screenshotting the fuckery and posting it here.

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #197 on: December 20, 2019, 09:52:45 AM »
lol, yeah there are Xbox fanboys just as extreme as the Sony fanboys on Re, but they are FAR outnumbered.

It's really incredibly sad;  I don't know what is more sad though those people or the weird Marvel/Disney fanboys.

edit:  Stadia fanboys are the most sad by default though, cuz Stadia

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #198 on: December 20, 2019, 01:02:22 PM »
Mobile game shills

Oscar rip

Spieler1

« Reply #199 on: December 20, 2019, 06:27:22 PM »
Take away speaking rights of every vigorous single platform owner above the age of 17 and this hobby will improve by several hundred percent.

« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
Man i dont know what to do, I wanted to build a new pc next fall because my 2500k and 970 are getting beyond potato, plus I want to try VR. But it sounds like even a top of the line rig built now may not be equal to the XSX? Like how badly inflated is pc hardware if it can all be put in a 500 dollar(?) box.

Next year I wanted a Ryzen 4000 series cpu, 32 gigs of ram and whatever 700 would buy me in a 3d card.  :( I mean im guessing that pc will be more powerful than an XSX but man I was spoilt by the weak hardware of consoles this gen, this is like back to when the 360 launched and it was pretty  :hyper for 6 months or so.

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #201 on: December 20, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »
Man i dont know what to do, I wanted to build a new pc next fall because my 2500k and 970 are getting beyond potato, plus I want to try VR. But it sounds like even a top of the line rig built now may not be equal to the XSX? Like how badly inflated is pc hardware if it can all be put in a 500 dollar(?) box.

Next year I wanted a Ryzen 4000 series cpu, 32 gigs of ram and whatever 700 would buy me in a 3d card.  :( I mean im guessing that pc will be more powerful than an XSX but man I was spoilt by the weak hardware of consoles this gen, this is like back to when the 360 launched and it was pretty  :hyper for 6 months or so.
Either there's some caveat with this machine or it launches at 599 or even 699.
There's no way to do a 399 or 499 box with those specs if they pan out as expected.

There's probably a cheaper 4TF model for 299/399 and this 12TF model for a premium of 699.
Playstation 5 will probably drop right in the middle at 499 or something. Maybe a cheaper configuration for 399.

Microsoft got extremely lucky that for the first time in a long while AMD didn't shit the bet with their new CPU's. Ryzen is going to be the real game changer.
The Xbox One Series X will basically be a Ryzen 3600 with a GPU comparable to the 5700 and hardware Ray Tracing added plus a fast SSD.

If you snag a 3700X and a 2070 Super instead your PC should already outperform the Xbox Series X.
As it is a year from release by the time it comes out there's probably a more advanced PC GPU out there that completely smokes it.
Still, it's a much better spec than the Xbox One was at the time of launch and that means way better use of comparable PC hardware too.
I hope we're finally seeing some improvements in AI and the likes now that we're not longer strapped to the shittiest line of notebook CPU's since the Intel Celeron.
GAMER

kingv

« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2019, 10:11:48 PM »
I think the reality with consoles is they just have a lot less overhead than PCs.

An X1X seems to me that it punches way above its weight class for its GPU and CPU.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1214310146345562112

still has two hdmi ports for tv stuff but no kinect or normal usb port on the back. i guess that means kinect is dead unless they allow it with a usb-c converter

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #204 on: January 06, 2020, 06:41:23 PM »
:piss kinect :piss2
yar

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #205 on: January 06, 2020, 06:49:14 PM »
Lot of new high end HDMI devices have 2 ports these days, not necessarily an in. 

Not every TV/receiver / device combo plays nicely so you sometimes are left to needing to output to both a TV and receiver.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #206 on: January 06, 2020, 06:52:40 PM »
i like kinect cause i can say "xbox on" and it turns on the console, tv, and soundbar. :'( also dance games

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #207 on: January 06, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »
Yeah I actually expected (and wanted) MS to just build the Kinect mic array into the actual Xbox One hardware.  Like have it be part of the plastic box not an external thing.

It's all anyone really used from Kinect anyways, which was patently obvious from it's absolutely terrible game attach ratio (despite massive fire sales on games right from the jump.)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #208 on: January 06, 2020, 08:01:52 PM »

amd just took some random render off the internet and slapped it into their ces conference

:birb

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2020, 08:05:26 PM »
Hah, I've seen a bunch of tweets discussing the ports on the back of the thing too.
Hi

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #210 on: January 06, 2020, 08:09:51 PM »
Was so obviously a render to me but I thought it was from MS lol

Was very obviously not a photo though..

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: Xbox Series X - Render provided by TurboSquid.com
« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »

As it stands right now, the series X features, on the back of the hardware, two USB-A ports (of the SuperSpeed variety), ethernet, a single HDMI port, optical audio, and a power connection. There is also another port on the back that may be used for debugging but there wasn’t an agreement on the nature of its functionality. The image at the top of this post shows a basic outline of how those ports appear on the actual hardware.

Also, on the back of the device are openings for air intake as well; all of the ports are located on the lower half of the hardware. Keep in mind, there is also a USB-A port on the front of the console but for now, it looks like Microsoft is sticking with the older USB style port.
https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/227520/xbox-series-x-ports-revealed

kinect back on the menu boiz

mormapope

« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2020, 02:18:31 PM »
Doing some reading, Kinects for this gen stopped being manufactured in October of 2018. I don't know if they'd start manufacturing new Kinects if legacy hardware works.

This is also insider information still, nothing official. Insider info for internal stuff is pretty reliable. Anything feature based or even ports on the console won't be forreal until manufacturing starts happening.
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2020, 02:22:06 PM »
yeah i just mean old ones still working. i don't expect anything new on that front

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
The only good first party MS game was Bloodwake da GOAT.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »
I guess Jet Set Radio Future was second party?

Philip Cardgage

• #1 Creeper Lagoon Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »

That game was for weebs. Keep that shit on Nintendo and Sony. I want to feeling of being a man only games made in the USA can deliver.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2020, 03:07:20 PM »

That game was for weebs. Keep that shit on Nintendo and Sony. I want to feeling of being a man only games made in the USA can deliver.

I DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK THOUGH!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #218 on: January 08, 2020, 01:21:09 PM »
i like kinect cause i can say "xbox on" and it turns on the console, tv, and soundbar. :'( also dance games

You don't need anything beyond a cheap headset to do voice commands :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #219 on: January 08, 2020, 01:21:48 PM »
Why would I have a cheap headset on when walking into the den? Not sure how that lets my wife play dance games either. :idont

spoiler (click to show/hide)
yes i know, but a cheap headset isn't really solving any of the reasons i want kinect to stick around
[close]

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #220 on: January 08, 2020, 01:27:47 PM »

You don't need anything beyond a cheap headset to do voice commands :lol

What kind of nerd sits around with their headset on all the time when they are using their console though?  And you have the controller in your hands at that point, just press the power button lol

The mic array was great on Kinect;  it picked up voice commands really well. 

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #221 on: January 08, 2020, 01:31:33 PM »
i wonder if the 3rd party remote control i got for the x1 will work with the new xbox? it just seems to be an IR remote so maybe

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #222 on: January 08, 2020, 01:31:54 PM »
What kind of nerd

Yeah as opposed to folks cheering for a completely useless piece of hardware which massively increased the price at launch. Because using voice commands as you walk into the room is so kewl :rofl

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #223 on: January 08, 2020, 01:33:26 PM »
or just a nice convenience that would be a bummer to lose :yeshrug plus having it sign in myself or my wife using the camera is also a nice convenience. it's kinda neat to be able to boot up the entire entertainment system, log in, launch an app, and start a movie/video without ever needing to turn on a controller

and again, like em or not there are X1 games that use kinect so if they want to do full BC it would be nice to have that hardware supported since i already own it and the usb converter

riotous

• shosta likes this
« Reply #224 on: January 08, 2020, 01:36:49 PM »
What kind of nerd

Yeah as opposed to folks cheering for a completely useless piece of hardware which massively increased the price at launch. Because using voice commands as you walk into the room is so kewl :rofl

It was idiotic of MS to include Kinect in the Xbox One SKUs. 

I wanted them to just have the mic array built into the box;  not expensive or useless.

And if they hadn't included Kinect from the jump, they might have been able to keep it as a successful accessory.  They fucked up so bad including it they had to abandon it to prove to gamer nerds they were focused on the "hard cores" now.

EightBitNate

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2020, 06:47:30 PM »
How do you guys feel about no true next gen exclusives? Matt Booty says all MS games will release on XO for the next 2 years.

Nintex

• CORPO
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2020, 07:09:54 PM »
How do you guys feel about no true next gen exclusives? Matt Booty says all MS games will release on XO for the next 2 years.
I hardly can believe Microsoft is going to tie another console generation to CPU's that were already shit 10 years ago.
The Xbox One could hardly keep up with the big releases of 2019, like the new Star Wars game and Control. It'll only get worse.

Hopefully Sony isn't doing the same and third parties will do some proper next gen exclusives.
GAMER

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
Stuff will maybe run okish on the 1x I guess? Their plan is to already have you invested in their new machines ecosystem since if you've bought one version of the game the other version will automatically be yours/in your account as well. So it's kind of smart for people that aren't adapting right away but also basically tells everyone not to since you can just play everything they release already on your current machine. Weird gamble.
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2020, 08:04:04 PM »
I understand that they want Xbox to be a platform not tied to a singular console.

But I think one of the problems will honestly be confusion of what the Series X is and I feel that it's up to them to really push that this is the next big bad Xbox. Having no exclusives dosen't help. Especially when your competition has such an easy time with branding and has pushed exclusives as it's number one pro.

mormapope

« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2020, 08:39:21 PM »

Console war fanboy logic: "PlayStation is gonna have true next gen games!"

Business logic: "We wanna sell as much first party software possible"

The main difference between this gen and the next will be rendering resolution, load times, and maybe performance. Like, those technical things or issues will be the big ones addressed.

Scope, scale,  game design innovation, every game developer on the planet has had to play around with their own ambition versus budget constraints and time constraints. More RAM won't alter that significantly, a stronger GPU won't alter that significantly, an SSD won't alter that significantly.

The better question is, has Microsoft acquired enough talent to make good games outright. Nintendo developed Breath of the Wild for two pieces of hardware that are quite weaker than a base Xbone or PS4. But design decisions make that game something special.

Microsoft does have a taller hill to climb when it comes to ball swinging because of this, but it doesn't have negative connotation in reality for good games.

:yeshrug

Like, if Sony unveils Killzone 5, a Resistance Fall of Man reboot, a fart sniff of God of War 2, an Infamous sequel, and Demon Souls Remake, and they're all PS5 exclusive....

:snore
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:44:19 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2020, 08:47:58 PM »
I mean that made up PS5 first party line up already sounds better then whatever MS did this gen.

And buying b tier developers like Ninja Theory and whoever made that 60s Drug England game don’t inspire confidence.

mormapope

« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2020, 08:56:55 PM »
I mean that made up PS5 first party line up already sounds better then whatever MS did this gen.

And buying b tier developers like Ninja Theory and whoever made that 60s Drug England game don’t inspire confidence.

Microsoft buys studios that makes weirder games in the face of criticism based on them being a Forza/Halo/Gears butter churner.

"Hmmm, I'd much rather have the same butter Sony has been churning for two gens, thanks"

:nope

The only thing more played out than Master Chief is pretending Killzone ever mattered besides the faked Killzone 2 trailer.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:04:29 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »
I'm no fan of any of those games, but it's pretty dumb to downplay God of War 2 or a Demon Souls Remake. Lumping them with pretty meh stuff like Killzone and Resistance is kind of disingenuous. I'm not a huge fan of DS and I thought God of War was ok, but they are kind of critical and fan darlings.

Hellblade wasn't. Ninja Theory has been trying to ride the waves of the cinematic games that Sony studios have(maybe too narrowly focused on) perfected. So no, I'm not at all excited about Hellblade 2. And why would anyone be compared to say God of War 2.

And yeah We Happy Few was such a weird game.....that started as a boring ass generic playing survival game that they later tacked on a Bisoshock wanabe too. Albeit very poorly.  There's nothing that tells me Complusion games will make anything even the tier of say a Killzone. Except I guess it will have a unique art style. At least Killzone games look great too.

I mean there's nothing that tells me to not be skeptical of MS here. Ok yeah Sony's studios have basically created a pretty singular formula. But um...if you like those cinematic single player games you are getting the best in the industry. Meanwhile all I'm seeing MS is do is throw everything at the wall to see what sticks while playing catch up. Meanwhile, series like Gears and Halo have become pretty tired and boring. While hell God of W seems to have flourished.

Also I would take an Infamous sequel.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 09:18:50 PM by Rahxephon91 »

mormapope

« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:43 PM »
So if God of War 2 was cross gen, PS4 and PS5, would anyone honestly give a fuck besides justifying their own $400 or $500 purchase?

PS4 base: sub 1080p, 30FPS target
PS4 Pro: 4K upscaled 30FPS, 1080p 60FPS locked
PS5: 4K 60FPS

If the game is great, who would give a fuck that some people are playing the version that looks smeared and is running poorly?
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2020, 09:28:29 PM »
Core gamers who want to see what a God of War 2 would look like made purely for PS5?

I mean when you scale down for the lowest system, it's going to effect things beyond just graphics and performance.

mormapope

« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2020, 09:33:17 PM »
Core gamers who want to see what a God of War 2 would look like made purely for PS5?

I mean when you scale down for the lowest system, it's going to effect things beyond just graphics and performance.

Not true for:
Fighting games
Strategy games
Puzzle games
RPGs

Also, I'm a firm believer in fuck most core gamers. Fuck em in their dirty asses. I hope they rot in a stinky hell. Core gamers have been some of the dumbest fucks for 40 years.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2020, 09:37:37 PM »
How is that not true for Fighting games or rpgs?

I mean even in the old days arcade ports would have to take out systems(like MvC's tag in the PS1) or important graphical features(Virtua Fighter ports) to make the ports work.

RPGs are pretty vague but I mean (not excactly an rpg) but the cross gen version of one of those Mordor games had to take out the entire Nemesis system.

So, no it's pretty true that scaling games for weaker systems effects many aspects of games.

And core gamers are simply people who buy video games beyond Madden or just Call if Duty and yeah I'm pretty sure most of them in the console space want to see games at the best of thier means.  I mean honestly after a year or so once people really start moving to the new systems, do cross gen versions of games do that great? Did Blops 3 or Advanced Warfare sell as great on PS3 and Xbox? Titanfall on 360 was a grat port, but did most people care? I doubt Battlefield 4 had a long life on PS3 compared to PS4. Did Square get that much shit for turning off the PS3 version of XIV because it was holding it back? A Grand Theft Auto 5 port continues to sell well probably to people who already had the last gen version because they want a better version.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:00:58 PM by Rahxephon91 »

mormapope

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
And core gamers are simply people who buy video games beyond Madden or just Call if Duty.

Mmmmm, you're still using the "hardcore gamer" definition that popped up in the PS2/Xbox/GC era. Where you were a "casual gamer" if you played GTA or Madden a lot.

A core gamer is someone that plays a lot of videogames, point blank. And most of those people suck a lotta dirty ass.
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2020, 09:46:07 PM »
No, I just see core gamers as anyone with an actual enthusiasm for games as a hobby and I don't really know how those people suck since well it's millions if not billions of people...

Rahxephon91

« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2020, 10:07:11 PM »
But either way my points have been.

I skeptical of MS's first party output compared to the what you may deem 'safe" and samey output of Sony.

I'm not sure Cross gen games actually have appeal as I believe people want the best version within thier means. And yeah I do think scaling can effect games so I'm unsure if it's actually worth it.

And I can't say if this idea from MS will hurt or help the Series X because as far as I'm aware a console manufacturer hasn't really had it's first party output been positioned this way. But I'm cautious as I kind of already feel Series X is being positioned weirdly.