Author Topic: Xbox Series S and X  (Read 81864 times)

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Re: Xbox Series X - the next generation of terrible names
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2019, 01:39:58 PM »
Xbutt Sex
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2019, 01:52:16 PM »
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2019, 03:09:06 PM »
Lololol yeah, uh huh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2019, 04:32:49 PM »
Table should have some coke next to the PS5 :awesome

Tuckers Law

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »
Just seems like a great service.

I mean it sure is but who says Sony will not do anything similiar for PS5?

Probably whatever ancient Japanese mummies-for-senior management left in the company that are likely already mortified by how they have been giving “free” games away on PS+.  I’m sure they already see PS Now (lol) as their alternative to gamepass.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:19:37 PM by Tuckers Law »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2019, 05:23:31 PM »
Gamepass is only this good because Xbox has a lot of ground to cover and no fresh exclusives.
It's safe to assume the price will go up significantly and the offer of games diminish, once they reach a better market position.

That is not to say that it isn't a great offer right now, but what is the point for Sony to give away "free" shit, when they are comfortably on top, in the space? Overconfidence bit them in the ass before though, so who knows.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
Gamepass does nothing for me. Yeah I’ve been able to easily try things out that maybe I wouldn’t have but right now it’s meh to me. Mostly because MS first party is weak and I’m sorry I wasn’t going to wait to play Devil May Cry 5. Even then most third parties don’t seem to be excited to put thier new games on there day 1. I’m sure not waiting to play Resident Evil 3, Cyperpunk, and so on.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2019, 05:30:40 PM »
I’ll be shocked if they don’t increase the price if successful, ala the occasional Netflix price increase.

I also guarantee that if the console is successful enough, there will be games not included (probably some aloof 3rd-parties like square Enix).

kingv

« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2019, 06:05:08 PM »
I think as long as they are releasing 3 or 4 MS published games/year it’s probably still a pretty good deal for a lot of people.

It’s one of those things I sort of signed up for on a lark and now I think it’s pretty awesome.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
XBOX SERIES X

If the price is right I'll pick one up.
🤴

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
I hope they stay second or last place, they try harder with things like backwards compatibility, do weird shit like the elite controller, and give me free stuff. Sony's arrogant again, they're all like "Game pass? How about you pass us some money and buy a game, motherfucker?"
sup

BisMarckie

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2019, 07:12:58 PM »
Too be fair though, they are investing in their PS Now catalogue. They have some neat games on there and their PS 3 streaming tech works well enough. It‘s not comparable to game pass yet, but they could easily get there.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2019, 08:07:41 PM »
ど助平

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2019, 09:54:17 PM »
I just meant naming wise. It's Wii U tier. Xstans are going to be working overtime next gen explaining why it's a good name. ::)

It's good because Xbox consoles are like the Fast and the Furious series at this point, everyone expects a new and different dumb naming convention for each new model so they have to deliver.
QED

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2019, 12:06:28 AM »
Just put Windows on the damn thing.

No fucking lie, if MS and Valve got together, put Windows/Steam on it, fucking consoles would be over. Full stop. Give us that "one console" future already Jesus Christ.

Yeah cause that Steambox thing went well.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2019, 12:08:20 AM »
Gamepass does nothing for me. Yeah I’ve been able to easily try things out that maybe I wouldn’t have but right now it’s meh to me. Mostly because MS first party is weak and I’m sorry I wasn’t going to wait to play Devil May Cry 5. Even then most third parties don’t seem to be excited to put thier new games on there day 1. I’m sure not waiting to play Resident Evil 3, Cyperpunk, and so on.

I mean, the Yakuza series had been like one of two reasons why I've wanted a PS4. Game Pass is gonna get...three Yakuza games I think? My point being not that I don't need a PS4 now, more of Microsoft's reach and ambition for Game Pass will only grow.

It's also effectively changed "wait for a sale" to "wait until it's on game pass". Buying games day 1 is basically reserved for AAAA games at this point.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2019, 12:50:44 AM »
Game Pass rules
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2019, 01:14:38 AM »

I mean, the Yakuza series had been like one of two reasons why I've wanted a PS4. Game Pass is gonna get...three Yakuza games I think? My point being not that I don't need a PS4 now, more of Microsoft's reach and ambition for Game Pass will only grow.

It's also effectively changed "wait for a sale" to "wait until it's on game pass". Buying games day 1 is basically reserved for AAAA games at this point.
But I mean I played Yakuza 0 years ago. I played those three Yakuza games when they came out because I’m a fan and wouldn’t want to wait till they came to Game Pass.

But I don’t think you’re example is some great show of reach an ambition. These are games Sega has made most of thier money on and was no doubt probably fine with MS paying for it. They probably are paying for the port like they are with Phantasy Star. Call me when Yakuza 8 comes day 1 on Xbox, PS5, and Game Pass.

So that’s my point. Game Pass is cool I guess, but I’m not seeing third parties feel the desire to put their titles on there in a first run way.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 01:19:10 AM by Rahxephon91 »

mormapope

« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2019, 01:44:32 AM »

But I mean I played Yakuza 0 years ago. I played those three Yakuza games when they came out because I’m a fan and wouldn’t want to wait till they came to Game Pass.

But I don’t think you’re example is some great show of reach an ambition. These are games Sega has made most of thier money on and was no doubt probably fine with MS paying for it. They probably are paying for the port like they are with Phantasy Star. Call me when Yakuza 8 comes day 1 on Xbox, PS5, and Game Pass.

So that’s my point. Game Pass is cool I guess, but I’m not seeing third parties feel the desire to put their titles on there in a first run way.

Tbh it sounds like you want a very premium subscription service that would be $30 a month minimum. If you feel Game Pass is currently meh, I don't think you're the type that would be into almost any subscription service for games.

There's nothing wrong with that either. As it stands though, the value outright is pretty great for most people.
OH!

Svejk

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2019, 10:41:06 AM »
PS Plus started off great too..  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2019, 10:57:40 AM »
In 10 or 15 years, 20 at best, they'll all move to a service oriented model, i think.
Even beyond the idea of streaming, a more open approach to releasing all games on all platforms, as long as you get people into your service, is the more probable future in my opinion.
Isn't a console especially profitable BECAUSE you get people locked into your own ecosystem, anyway? Even 10 years ago, getting people into XBLGold seemed more crucial for Microsoft, than having them buy the plastic box.

Ironically, maybe Nintendo will be the last one to "go 3rd party", because they seem to love fucking with esoteric hardware so much.

paprikastaude

« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:42 AM »
Blurays are still a thing and iirc even CDs. There will be hardware and physical media as long as there is people who don't want to get fucked over by companies pay up for it, which will be for a long time still.

kingv

« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2019, 11:18:47 AM »
I’m guessing the economics of game pass work out for publishers mostly because game sales are so front-loaded.

Almost everything goes on sale for <$20 within a year of release, so whatever opportunity cost there is to listing on Gamepass is probably outweighed by whatever money hats they are getting.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
Blurays are still a thing and iirc even CDs. There will be hardware and physical media as long as there is people who don't want to get fucked over by companies pay up for it, which will be for a long time still.
A lot can change in 20 years.
My guess is physical media will just become line vynil, very high end collector stuff, and the "box with a disc, without even a manual" will just go away eventually.

Also, the idea of not getting fucked over if you buy a disc is silly, since 80% of games nowadays require a patch on Day 1 to even function decently, nevermind various forms of online integration and DRM.
Which ofcourse is even truer for genres like GAAS.

BisMarckie

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2019, 01:33:01 PM »
My guess is physical media will just become line vynil, very high end collector stuff, and the "box with a disc, without even a manual" will just go away eventually.

Also, the idea of not getting fucked over if you buy a disc is silly, since 80% of games nowadays require a patch on Day 1 to even function decently, nevermind various forms of online integration and DRM.

With custom firmware, you could patch your games yourself though.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
Streaming in 4K is getting better but the difference between popping a 4K HDR Blu-Ray in my Xbox One X and Netflix 4K streaming is still significant enough to watch my favorite films physical.
Now I admit my LG OLED is of a rare quality that won't be mainstream for another 2 - 3 years, if ever. Now for games it is vastly different as they already require installs. And with the SSD's loading from your HDD should finally be significantly faster than streaming from the disk (which sometimes still outperforms the slow as fuck HDD's of the current gen consoles).
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2019, 02:00:10 PM »

I keep my consoles offline/games unpatched and I think there was only two or three singleplayer games ever for which I really needed the updates. Most unplayable AAA games from EA or whatever are trash either way, plus even those still get physical GotY editions at worst.

nudemacusers

« Reply #89 on: December 14, 2019, 02:04:55 PM »
A couple years ago I realized I didn’t care about “owning” media. Like... at all. A/v media and game subs all day. The only shit I buy are kids movies cuz the lil fukks can’t wait for Netflix etc   >:(

I like the thicc box tbh. Not sure if it will .. ahem fit tho  :-[
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

BisMarckie

« Reply #90 on: December 14, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
A couple years ago I realized I didn’t care about “owning” media. Like... at all. A/v media and game subs all day. The only shit I buy are kids movies cuz the lil fukks can’t wait for Netflix etc   >:(

I am the opposite, I didn't give a shit about owning physical media. In fact I threw out a lot of games because they were taking up space. Now I am buying the same games again that I threw in the trash less than 5 years ago.  :existential

Chooky

« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2019, 02:32:17 PM »
There's too many people that'll stick to physical media for it to go away. Maybe in 30 years when most people grew up never having to own a piece of media it'll happen but it's not changing that soon IMO.

The change to digital only will happen sooner than that because companies will force it as soon as its viable. the only people that really care otherwise are collector nerds and I'm sure there'll be plenty of companies that will make a handful of physical releases just to cater to that crowd.

paprikastaude

« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2019, 03:03:27 PM »
I buy digital, but only in rare cases do I pay full retail or launch prices. I got burned a couple of times buying games on Steam at full retail a few years ago, before refunds existed. I'll still opt for discs if I can because a trash game on disc can be sold or traded in, whereas a trash digital game is forever in your library reminding you of the time you handed over $60 and let someone shit in your palm. I have a special Shit/Bin category on Steam just for that stuff.
sup

Fifstar

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2019, 03:17:22 PM »
I like Games Pass partly because I don't own the games. When I open my Steam backlog I get disgusted at myself. With gamepass, I always have something new to play without the bad feeling of not having got my money worth from old games in my backlog. I also don't replay games after I beat them (so I don't care if games get removed a year later) and I like just fooling around in games for a couple of hours - again wouldn't  be worth to buy those games outright.
Gulp

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2019, 03:45:23 PM »
I buy digital, but only in rare cases do I pay full retail or launch prices. I got burned a couple of times buying games on Steam at full retail a few years ago, before refunds existed. I'll still opt for discs if I can because a trash game on disc can be sold or traded in, whereas a trash digital game is forever in your library reminding you of the time you handed over $60 and let someone shit in your palm. I have a special Shit/Bin category on Steam just for that stuff.

Great minds...

If I pay full price for a pc game, it's gonna be for something I *KNOW* for a fact I will either unconditionally enjoy or at the very least can just play for a shit ton of hours and then lie to myself and say I got my money's worth. If I have any question at all... I'll just get it on PS4 or Switch, then at the very least I have the option of selling it to GS for credit or cash (easy) or ebaying the fucker (annoying)

I have yet to sign up for gamepass on pc because frankly I don't have a lot of time to play games anymore, and I already have a stupid large backlog of shit on steam that I know for a fact I want to play, even some shit I paid full or close to full price for (Tyranny, Torment, etc) but can't find the time to fuck with.
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »
I don't know. People thought digital was the future last gen. And this generation I feel like if anything physical came back. Plenty of games have gotten physical releases or re-releases when last gen they probably would have been digital. Probably lots of reasons for this, maybe one of them being comcast thinks its cool to give me a 1tb monthly limit.

mormapope

« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »

I'm in this camp 100%.

There's a lot to lose in life. If the civilized world falls, I'm going to be worried about my access to pussy, physical and digital, a lot more than videogames.
OH!

nudemacusers

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2019, 04:17:41 AM »

I'm in this camp 100%.

There's a lot to lose in life. If the civilized world falls, I'm going to be worried about my access to pussy, physical and digital, a lot more than videogames.
I also move a lot and got real tired of unpacking boxes of movies. Now I have an appletv and a cord.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: December 15, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
Stadia poised to capitalize on this new games-as-a-service economy :awesome

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #100 on: December 15, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
Stadia poised to capitalize on this new games-as-a-service economy :awesome

yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #101 on: December 15, 2019, 03:43:52 PM »
Stadia is fucking dead :juicy I might sub to Gamepass streaming every now and then, so I can catch up on MS exclusives that half-interest me (if at all). On the other hand, a real Series X might be better to have access to all the bc  :thinking
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:45:28 PM by Spieler1 »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #102 on: December 15, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
if sony and m$ actually push devs to target 8k compatibility with this shit i hope they both diaf and nintendo win
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2019, 04:43:07 PM »
if sony and m$ actually push devs to target 8k compatibility with this shit i hope they both diaf and nintendo win

They should be pushing for 4k/60 and maaaaaaybe 8k/30 if anything. So few people have 8k tvs/monitors that it's like, who cares? Besides, in 3 years or whatever this just gives them the opportunity to release the PS5 tryhard edition and Xbox Series Buttplug or what have you that can do 8k.
yar

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #104 on: December 15, 2019, 04:51:55 PM »
Margs

mormapope

« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »
4K has replaced 1080p at this point, and with how long console generations are, 8K will be common enough in three years.

60 fps will never ever be the standard. A videogame console with the power to explore our Galaxy will mostly have 64k resolution rendering with 30 fps, with drops.
OH!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
Im not upgrading my 1080p tv before it break :trumps

Got a fucking low latency beauty (<20ms)

mormapope

« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2019, 05:08:50 PM »
Im using a 1080p monitor. Doesn't change that the majority of new options are 4k and are at the same price point 1080p displays were a few years ago.

OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2019, 06:33:31 PM »
4K is the norm for most displays now and I think 8k will be added to most larger mainstream panels soon enough.
Although most 8k content will just be 4k upscaled.

Most movies are now shot in 4k, with 1440p/2k or sometimes 1080p commonly used for special effects and CG rendering. Because of this most Marvel/DC Comics movies are not native 4K.
Games are either using 4k assets or 1080p assets upscaled to 4k with dynamic resolution scalers etc.

For 8k to become big, we first need to get to 4k assets for the majority of video games and 4k special effects for the majority of movies.
Then we'll move to upscaling 4k to 8k and eventually 8k assets.

4k is nice but coming from a 1440p monitor the real game changer on my 4K OLED for me was HDR.  :o
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2019, 07:48:20 PM »
8K is never going to be common for consumers.

"640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer" -Bill Gates
ど助平

naff

« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2019, 07:54:56 PM »
8K is never going to be common for consumers.

"640K is more memory than anyone will ever need on a computer" -Bill Gates

:rage
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2019, 08:02:37 PM »
I'd bet heavily on 8k being an eventual flop. it is completely pointless from a scientific standpoint, increases costs of film and game dev significantly and is a terrible decision for consumers.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #112 on: December 15, 2019, 08:06:45 PM »
Were there even theaters in the US that could show Gemini Man at 4k if you wanted to see it?

I'm not sure the 4k and 8k takeover is happening even in the next decade.

And lets be honest, the PS5 and Xbox Series X are still going to be playing games at 1080p, 1440p, and maybe 4k.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #113 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
Watch 4K on compressed to hell streaming services, brehs!  :doge

mormapope

« Reply #114 on: December 15, 2019, 08:09:14 PM »
It took almost 20 years for 1080p to get into 75% of house holds, expecting people to do 4K and then 8K when there is still a significant chunk of the US using CRTs still is absurd. DVDs still outsell bluray and people jumped more from DVD to streaming than bluray. For 8K you're going to need a new absurdly expensive TV, a new disc player, start your collection all over AGAIN, and if you're going to stream hope you don't live in most places that still have data caps.

Where in the fuck are there still large groups of people with CRTs in the US? Do you live in the most meth infested part of Montana? What bearing do old meth rats have on common patterns in technology and retail?

EDIT: What's more likely to happen, advancements in technology that are negligible or not necessarily important to keep manufacturing and and selling consumer electronics, or that we have reached the absolute peak and that TVs are going to display the same resolution for the rest of your life?

I think Samsung and LG are gonna make higher resolution TVs than 4k brehs.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:17:30 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »
1440p is the thinking man's choice for modern PC game resolution. It upscales very well to a 4k display, you don't have to turn off all the eye candy, and you still get good framerates.
sup

Rahxephon91

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
It took almost 20 years for 1080p to get into 75% of house holds, expecting people to do 4K and then 8K when there is still a significant chunk of the US using CRTs still is absurd. DVDs still outsell bluray and people jumped more from DVD to streaming than bluray. For 8K you're going to need a new absurdly expensive TV, a new disc player, start your collection all over AGAIN, and if you're going to stream hope you don't live in most places that still have data caps.

Where in the fuck are there still large groups of people with CRTs in the US? Do you live in the most meth infested part of Montana? What bearing do old meth rats have on common patterns in technology and retail?

I mean I live in the Chicago metropolitan area and have done years of plumbing and now medical home set-ups. So I've been in plenty of homes and yeah CRTs are still widely used. Mostly old people, so they are out of the target demo here. But also I've seen plenty of average people have thier shitty cheap LCDs playing regular SD NBC or FOX or whatever. Or streaming Friends or the office and not giving a shit what resolution its in. You have Americans going crazy on Black Friday for the Hitatachi whatever shit tv that may be in 4k, but will probably have a old Roku device plugged into that that negates whatever 4k the tv has. lets not even get started on HDR. Dolby Vision what? HDR10 who cares?

My "girlfriend" thinks the regular xbox one is perfectly fine. I visited Target to talk to my old boss and he sold a Digital Only Xbox to a lady for Xmas because her son only cared about Fortnite. My sister and her family were wowed by thier 70inch Philips tv and the soundbar is cool enough for thier home theater.

I just feel as enthusiasts, like we do need perspective here.

I asked my friend if he wanted to go see Gemni man because the AMC here at least had the 60 FPS 1080p version. He said he already watched a rip off of Codi. The thing people kept buying up Target's supply of Fire Sticks last year for.

I don't think these are concerns or interests most people have.

And while I don't think these things won't eventually happen. I just don't think it's going to be anytime son. And when it does who even know what media consumption will be.

But as I said before. I don't even expect 4k to be the standard for next gen consoles. I'm sure where going to see plenty if not most games hit under that resolution. Under 1080p is still very common now on the base systems.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 08:35:37 PM by Rahxephon91 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2019, 08:31:52 PM »
:goldberg
I'd bet heavily on 8k being an eventual flop. it is completely pointless from a scientific standpoint, increases costs of film and game dev significantly and is a terrible decision for consumers.

I get what you guys are saying, but it's going to happen at some point.  Sure, it's gonna be a while I'm sure, but it's not going to be a "flop" and eventually will replace 4K and the like. 
ど助平

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2019, 08:41:01 PM »
Dolby Vision is great, I wish more movies would use it. Colors really pop.
sup

mormapope

« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2019, 08:51:55 PM »
:goldberg

I get what you guys are saying, but it's going to happen at some point.  Sure, it's gonna be a while I'm sure, but it's not going to be a "flop" and eventually will replace 4K and the like.

Case in point

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-led-q900-series-4320p-smart-8k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6355633.p?skuId=6355633&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ds_rl=1268709&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0NfvBRCVARIsAO4930mfhZDzNWpMVeZpkryoietjGW3apI3_z63vRFHJ8o4HfqQUwMttcQwaAqMAEALw_wcB

8k tv for $2500. This has been a trend for at least 40 years at this point, super high end stuff that at one point costs a lot to manufacture, and then when technology costs lower, high end replaces the standard.

This $2500 TV is going to be $400-$600 in four to five years. By that time, there'll be a successor to HDR probably too.
OH!