Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1072458 times)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?
« Reply #15240 on: January 22, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »
:dead

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15241 on: January 22, 2022, 12:29:26 PM »

:science

jorma

« Reply #15243 on: January 23, 2022, 12:12:20 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitPoliticsSays/comments/savryb/australia_subs_honestly_batshit_insane_there_are/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

:lol holy shit

while i did know that strayans are famous for always going full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, i didn't think that prison colony dna was acually a thing  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #15245 on: January 23, 2022, 02:44:07 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/ShitPoliticsSays/comments/savryb/australia_subs_honestly_batshit_insane_there_are/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

:lol holy shit

while i did know that strayans are famous for always going full distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, i didn't think that prison colony dna was acually a thing  :lol
r/Australia is infamous for being full of fucking lefty activist morons. Try r/Straya if you want real content, although that one is being infested by the mentally challenged political activists too.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15246 on: January 23, 2022, 03:02:14 PM »

So weird to see the mainstream pundits now repeat the same talking points that were 'radical' a year ago.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #15247 on: January 23, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »
The situation was very different a year ago.
Spud

Bebpo

« Reply #15248 on: January 23, 2022, 04:20:48 PM »
Got my 4th Pfizer

Gonna be guinea pig for USA. Pharmacy was like you’re the first, how do we do this  :doge

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #15249 on: January 23, 2022, 04:23:43 PM »
They're giving out 4th's already? The data coming out of Israel that a 4th jab, at least this quickly, is diminishing returns at best, but I suppose daddy pfizer (and their shareholders in government :shh) needs even more cash :money
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #15250 on: January 23, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »
They're giving out 4th's already? The data coming out of Israel that a 4th jab, at least this quickly, is diminishing returns at best, but I suppose daddy pfizer (and their shareholders in government :shh) needs even more cash :money

The Israel data is that with Omicron the 4th dose increased antibodies (which reach even higher than a 3rd dose) is not enough to stop symptomatic omicron infection.

But the data also shows it greatly reduces hospitalization, serious illness and death. Just like the first 2.5 months of a 3rd dose.

Mostly just care about the latter. I don't mind if I get omicron, but I really don't want to die from it.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #15251 on: January 23, 2022, 05:52:04 PM »
That's fair enough. I suppose when if they tried pushing it out on everyone, not just those with other illnesses etc would be the time to raise an eyebrow.  :lol

FWIW I would have rather my booster had gone to someone in a poorer country who needs it and hasn't even had 1 shot yet (not like we have a choice in the matter, but I don't see the point in giving a booster to the 80% or whatever of the populations of a rich country who don't really need them), and only had it because the definition of fully vaxxed would eventually change from 2 to 3.

(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #15252 on: January 23, 2022, 06:02:04 PM »
I get that, but I also think on an individual level whether people get their boosters or shots or not doesn't effect the total USA stock and isn't going to suddenly add more vaccines to a 3rd world country.

Instead the USA basically sits on and throws away unused vaccines.

poorer countries need more vaccines, but that's just a separate issue.

That being said, yeah, the 4th shot discussion is just for people over 65 and those under 65 with certain compromising health issues. I have a feeling they won't ever make the 4th shot the norm because by that point later this year they'll have a a new and better vaccine for the general public that will better deal with variants.

benjipwns

« Reply #15253 on: January 24, 2022, 09:55:45 AM »
So weird to see the mainstream pundits now repeat the same talking points that were 'radical' a year ago.
Bill Maher, Bari Weiss and Ritchie Torres are "mainstream pundits" now?

Himu

« Reply #15254 on: January 24, 2022, 10:02:46 AM »

I know right? This is what I was talking about last page. Things that were considered conspiracy theories or being a dick is now mainstream because the media says it's okay to consider it. Almost like the media acts as a purveyor on what's considered acceptable.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15255 on: January 24, 2022, 10:04:24 AM »

Bullshit. I've been saying to live with Covid for months and you've treated me like a leper. Madrun liking your post is icing. Hypocrital media knob slobbers.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15256 on: January 24, 2022, 10:08:18 AM »

The Israel data is that with Omicron the 4th dose increased antibodies (which reach even higher than a 3rd dose) is not enough to stop symptomatic omicron infection.

But the data also shows it greatly reduces hospitalization, serious illness and death. Just like the first 2.5 months of a 3rd dose.

Mostly just care about the latter. I don't mind if I get omicron, but I really don't want to die from it.

Doesn't data also say a fourth shot decreases Covid immunity while also making your immune system weak?

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-a-4th-covid-19-shot-likely-wont-provide-more-protection

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #15257 on: January 24, 2022, 12:34:25 PM »

Bebpo

« Reply #15258 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:56 PM »

Doesn't data also say a fourth shot decreases Covid immunity while also making your immune system weak?

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-a-4th-covid-19-shot-likely-wont-provide-more-protection

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-11/repeat-booster-shots-risk-overloading-immune-system-ema-says

No. There are a few fringe doctors concerned about shots overloading the immune system, but there has not been a single result showing that.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-24/fourth-shot-gives-protection-from-covid-infection-israel-says

From today. 4th shot gives 2x protection against symptomatic infection, 3x against serious illness.

Diminishing returns, sure. But still increased protection.

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #15260 on: January 24, 2022, 03:28:35 PM »

Bullshit. I've been saying to live with Covid for months and you've treated me like a leper. Madrun liking your post is icing. Hypocrital media knob slobbers.
You couldn't even decide which political leaning you had a month ago dickhead.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 03:33:41 PM by Potato »
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15261 on: January 24, 2022, 03:57:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/NickFondacaro/status/1485652968913391617

:reeeee

Nice slip of the tongue there Woopi: "[...] people who lost their kids to this vaccine" :info

You can't go out drinking because some kid below 5 might catch COVID and he can't get vaccinated :wut
Newsflash to the elite most grown adults don't go out with 5 year olds.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #15262 on: January 24, 2022, 11:57:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/NickFondacaro/status/1485652968913391617

:reeeee

Nice slip of the tongue there Woopi: "[...] people who lost their kids to this vaccine" :info

You can't go out drinking because some kid below 5 might catch COVID and he can't get vaccinated :wut

Don't get me wrong. I'll be wearing masks when sick in the future. But like, new normal like security after 9/11? So we were right to be against mandates after all? . Good Lord.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15263 on: January 25, 2022, 02:34:17 PM »
Our country is opening back up, basically everything will be open from 08:00 to 22:00. Still QR codes for bars, movie theatres and a bunch of other places though.
With that said our new health secretary has decided to not further expand the various COVID apps and an advisory board has ruled against implementing 1G (e.g. vaccination mandates).

Masks advice remains in effect as well as social distancing rules and self tests.

Approx. 455000 people currently infected and in self-quarantine.
Very few people in the ICU. COVID wards opening up for regular healthcare again.

Government will announce new guidance March 8.

They had no choice, most people started to open up their stores themselves and police was no longer enforcing.
Also the government started with a ~20% or lower approval rating and local elections would've wiped them out next month.

We Won

:rejoice
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #15264 on: January 26, 2022, 01:21:28 AM »
so how about that exploding opioid death toll

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15267 on: January 26, 2022, 07:19:07 AM »
Our country is opening back up, basically everything will be open from 08:00 to 22:00. Still QR codes for bars, movie theatres and a bunch of other places though.
With that said our new health secretary has decided to not further expand the various COVID apps and an advisory board has ruled against implementing 1G (e.g. vaccination mandates).

Masks advice remains in effect as well as social distancing rules and self tests.

Very few people in the ICU. COVID wards opening up for regular healthcare again.

They had no choice, most people started to open up their stores themselves and police was no longer enforcing.
Also the government started with a ~20% or lower approval rating and local elections would've wiped them out next month.

We Won

I'm curious how Covid over correction will affect politics over the coming decade. Congrats on your war against tyranny

IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #15268 on: January 26, 2022, 08:15:26 AM »

We Won

I'm curious how Covid over correction will affect politics over the coming decade. Congrats on your war against tyranny

there will less stupid as fucking people dead

ahem

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15271 on: January 26, 2022, 11:18:27 AM »
Quote from: Nintex link=topic=46908.msg3020809#msg3020809 

It's almost as if you could catch something and then pass it on to someone else in another place!
 :brain
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #15272 on: January 26, 2022, 11:19:06 AM »
Bork link broken

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/health-officials-around-world-investigate-new-strain-of-omicron-variant/ar-AATa0vQ?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Initial research from Denmark’s Statens Serum Institut showed "no differences" in hospitalizations between the subvariant and its predecessor, according to the agency.

:gddr5 indeed

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15273 on: January 26, 2022, 11:20:28 AM »

It's almost as if you could catch something and then pass it on to someone else in another place!

Yeah we should all stay inside then and just say fuck life
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #15274 on: January 26, 2022, 11:36:21 AM »
https://abc7ny.com/heart-transplant-denied-covid-19-vaccine-boston-hospital-policy/11509056/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

COVID tyranny
This is standard procedure on organ transplants. They aren't available enough to afford being used on an unprotected patient compared to one who is. It's basic triage.

As the story clearly states in the fourth and fifth paragraphs:
"And like many other transplant programs in the United States - the COVID-19 vaccine is one of several vaccines and lifestyle behaviors required for transplant candidates in the Mass General Brigham system in order to create both the best chance for a successful operation and also the patient's survival after transplantation."

Dr. Arthur Caplan is Head of Medical Ethics at NYU Grossman School of Medicine. He says being vaccinated is necessary for this type of procedure. "Post any transplant, kidney, heart whatever, your immune system is shut off," Caplan said. "The flu could kill you, a cold could kill you, COVID could kill you. The organs are scarce, we are not going to distribute them to someone who has a poor chance of living when others who are vaccinated have a better chance post-surgery of surviving."

Himu

« Reply #15275 on: January 26, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »
Yeah I read it. Still feels fucked up but this life is a bitch.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #15276 on: January 26, 2022, 11:51:54 AM »
I mean it's not "COVID tyranny" it's just the media fanning outrage. (I saw it lots of other places earlier too.)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15277 on: January 26, 2022, 11:56:49 AM »

Because that's totally what I was implying!
ど助平

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #15278 on: January 26, 2022, 12:12:37 PM »

You should.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #15279 on: January 26, 2022, 12:33:30 PM »
5 days ago I returned from my cruise in the beautiful Caribbean.

Thats right, I went on a motherfucking cruise.

Now Im at home, beautifully tanned, refreshed, and without covid.

Trump was right, its all a scam to control people and stop them from living their lives

:trumps

Himu can you help me register for the republican party they were right this whole time. We need to get back to normal.

More women in bikinis  :rejoice

:O

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15280 on: January 26, 2022, 12:47:43 PM »
https://abc7ny.com/heart-transplant-denied-covid-19-vaccine-boston-hospital-policy/11509056/?ex_cid=TA_WABC_FB&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

COVID tyranny

My brother works with transplant patients and they're some of the most vulnerable people to COVID, hence why the vaccine is so imperative for them to get.
But on the flip side of the coin - how many people are out there unable to secure an ICU bed because it's been taken up by an antivaxxer dying of COVID? How many hospital personnel (who are already stretched thin dealing with this) is he putting at risk by not being vaxxed?
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15281 on: January 26, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »

We Won

there will less stupid as fucking people dead

ahem
Our government estimates that it will spread very fast and by next week or so ~1 million people will be sick at home or in quarantine.
That's 1 in 17.
🤴

Himu

« Reply #15282 on: January 26, 2022, 01:11:12 PM »

Trump was right, its all a scam to control people and stop them from living their lives

Himu can you help me register for the republican party they were right this whole time. We need to get back to normal.

It's not a scam, it's very much real. But we are a year out from vaccines and yet the pandemic paranoia still hasn't ended. Good on you for saying fuck this and living your life and not cowering to the fear.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #15283 on: January 26, 2022, 01:14:58 PM »

COVID tyranny

My brother works with transplant patients and they're some of the most vulnerable people to COVID, hence why the vaccine is so imperative for them to get.
But on the flip side of the coin - how many people are out there unable to secure an ICU bed because it's been taken up by an antivaxxer dying of COVID? How many hospital personnel (who are already stretched thin dealing with this) is he putting at risk by not being vaxxed?

He might as well get it since he needs the transplant but even if he does it will take at least a month to gain immunity. What are his options?
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15284 on: January 26, 2022, 01:45:32 PM »
as usual there is important information left out of the story

• it takes a long time to get to the top of a transplant list, did the doctors not know he was unvaccinated until that point? if they knew, did they try to convince him to get vaccinated? if they tried to convince him and he refused, why didn't they move him further down the list sooner?
  • was this guy immune as a result of prior infection? if so, should that have kept him at the top of the list?
  • was this guy advised not to get vaccinated in the first place because his heart was failing? it doesn't necessarily sound like it due to the way the family phrases it as him "sticking to his morals" but the question remains
Uncle

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15285 on: January 26, 2022, 01:47:37 PM »

COVID tyranny

He might as well get it since he needs the transplant but even if he does it will take at least a month to gain immunity. What are his options?

For people who end up in the ICU because they're unvaxxed, I just wish them the best and hope they 'see the light' when they heal. I think hearing 'get vaxxed' from people who were unvaxxed, got really sick, and then realized they made an error is FAR more helpful than the 'Herman Cain Awards' or what some of the more malicious elements of the pro-vax movement do.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #15286 on: January 26, 2022, 01:51:31 PM »

COVID tyranny

For people who end up in the ICU because they're unvaxxed, I just wish them the best and hope they 'see the light' when they heal. I think hearing 'get vaxxed' from people who were unvaxxed, got really sick, and then realized they made an error is FAR more helpful than the 'Herman Cain Awards' or what some of the more malicious elements of the pro-vax movement do.

No, I'm asking what are his options? What if he gets vaxxed? What happens next? Does he have to wait till the second shot to get the surg?
IYKYK

Kurt Russell

« Reply #15288 on: January 26, 2022, 04:26:38 PM »
Usual rules apply

- Why were they hospitalised?
- Were they in ICU?
- Did they even have Covid?
- How about underlying health conditions?

Looking at a spike in a graph and panicking is not particularly helpful at this juncture.

"These are not particularly sick infants. In fact, they're coming in for short periods of time," study author Calum Semple, Professor in Child Health and Outbreak Medicine, University of Liverpool, told reporters, adding that the proportion requiring oxygen was falling.

Russell Viner, Professor of Child and Adolescent Health, UCL, said that the trend was likely in part because Omicron symptoms might resemble the sort of respiratory conditions that would encourage parents to bring in babies to hospital as a precaution, whereas clinical pathways for older children would not bring them to hospital with such mild symptoms.

.....And the indications are that children admitted to hospital with omicron are even less sick, as they require less support than children admitted earlier in the pandemic and are discharged earlier. Oxygen use by children aged under 1 admitted in the past four weeks for whom data are available was 12%, compared with 22.5% in the first wave of the pandemic. Admission to intensive care was 9.9% (v 14%), use of mechanical ventilation was 2% (v 5.8%), use of non-invasive ventilation was 2% (v 7.2%), and mean length of stay was 1.7 days (v 6.6 days).

Camilla Kingdon, president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, said, “As paediatricians, we are accustomed to having busy winters where we see lots of particularly under 1s, typically, with high fevers, often with some kind of respiratory distress.”

She noted an increase in babies testing positive for omicron but lots of other respiratory viruses also circulating. “The presentation of these babies very much fits in with a mix of what we would expect to see in a busy winter in the UK,” she said.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:33:39 PM by Kurt Russell »
woke

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15289 on: January 26, 2022, 04:50:47 PM »
Nothing warns better than a chart with bright colors and thousands of different data points without any information to back it up.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #15290 on: January 26, 2022, 04:54:11 PM »
Nothing warns better than a chart with bright colors and thousands of different data points without any information to back it up.
Twitter really is the best way to communicate complex scientific information. Especially for those who have no specific knowledge of the subject matter.
Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #15291 on: January 26, 2022, 07:29:52 PM »

:hesright

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #15292 on: January 27, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »
DK hospitalisations graph is following the same pattern as ours in SE (and many other european countries): The hospitalisation (excluding ICU) numbers are based on people in hospital care for or with covid. So, this line is going up because we have a very explosive omicron spread. So _a lot_ of these people end up on this graph because they are admitted to hospital care and also end up realising that they are covid infected.

Now, this is obviously not ideal, since a covid-infected patient, regardless of medical state, obviously needs to be treated differently as a highly contagious patient, with higher demand on logistics/space and caution/protection level for hospital staff. But it's not the panic indicator that some people would have you believe.
地平線

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #15293 on: January 27, 2022, 09:17:44 AM »
there was never a rise in covid ICU patients all throughout omicron in the UK, and numbers are now freefalling (last numbers were the lowest since july).

the main consequence of it was wiping out delta, which was starting to make a bit of a comeback.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #15294 on: January 27, 2022, 02:54:48 PM »
there was never a rise in covid ICU patients all throughout omicron in the UK, and numbers are now freefalling (last numbers were the lowest since july).

(Image removed from quote.)

the main consequence of it was wiping out delta, which was starting to make a bit of a comeback.

The number of deaths has been highest since March 2021 for weeks. Or is it just the number of people on ventilators that counts now?

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #15295 on: January 27, 2022, 03:14:13 PM »

The number of deaths has been highest since March 2021 for weeks. Or is it just the number of people on ventilators that counts now?

Every death is one less person in the hospital

:rollsafe
:O

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #15296 on: January 27, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »

it's not "on ventilators", it's in beds with capacity for mechanical ventilation (so it's essentially shorthand of "in ICU units"), and yes it's by far the best indicator we have of how many people are getting severely ill with covid.

the deaths are just the maths of widespread it has been. we have 50-60,000 all cause deaths every january in the UK and even conservative estimates state something like 10-15% of the population have had omicron in the last month. die within a month of having covid and you're counted as a "covid death" regardless of any other circumstance.

when this all shakes out, the CFR of omicron will be in line with some of the mildest of diseases we have.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15297 on: January 27, 2022, 07:24:18 PM »
Our booster campaign is fizzling out as is support for any kind of COVID measures.
Feels like what's left is a bit symbolic as this point. Our government will probably fast track the removal of more regulations.

The 'new normal' plans can go straight into the dumpster it seems but some folks will suffer from some serious trauma when all is said and done.
I occasionally run into people that fear the unvaccinated.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #15298 on: January 27, 2022, 09:02:36 PM »
as usual there is important information left out of the story

• it takes a long time to get to the top of a transplant list, did the doctors not know he was unvaccinated until that point? if they knew, did they try to convince him to get vaccinated? if they tried to convince him and he refused, why didn't they move him further down the list sooner?
  • was this guy immune as a result of prior infection? if so, should that have kept him at the top of the list?
  • was this guy advised not to get vaccinated in the first place because his heart was failing? it doesn't necessarily sound like it due to the way the family phrases it as him "sticking to his morals" but the question remains
The family believes the vaccines are dangerous (not my underlining):

edit: The GoFundMe has raised significantly more ($80,000) https://www.gofundme.com/f/dj-heathers-relief-fund

Sponsored editorial comment:
Mark Sanchez donated $25
This beautiful family needs our support. This is medical tyranny and genocide.
7 hrs
Freedom Choice donated $50
This is inhumane and criminal. I continue to be stunned by the cruelty we are witnessing in our world today. You read history about how entire societies lose their minds and commit atrocities against their fellow citizens and think “It would never happen in our times”. Well look around. The hospital board members and all others who support this insanity are the SS officers of our times. History will remember them as such. I can’t imagine what your family is going through and I hope sanity and compassion prevail here.
1 d
Everything is genocide anymore.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:10:19 PM by benjipwns »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #15299 on: January 27, 2022, 09:16:29 PM »
We really need James's input on this story.

Anyone seen him around lately? I'm getting concerned.
Spud