Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1084163 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #4740 on: March 30, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Holy crap, my wife's job relented on their archaic remote access policies and she got the go-ahead to work from home.  Now that government money will pay for her missing a month of work after having the baby later this year.
 :success

And scratch that- her boss's bosses denied this and still want people to go to the office.
:mindblown
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4741 on: March 30, 2020, 08:04:59 PM »
I think the stock market people figured out after a week of panic that they can just trade and do cocaine from home.

This was a good post. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4742 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:07 PM »
toku gave everyone immunity guys, make sure you read his post

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4743 on: March 30, 2020, 08:15:21 PM »
if you read the post and get sick do not panic it just means you have not tithed by listening to my smash hit album endgame available everywhere now, if symptoms persist there maybe space available on my special personal prayers list. In these trying times it's important to know that only two things with save us, prayer and getting this economy back on track thank you god bless

benjipwns

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4745 on: March 30, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »

Himu

« Reply #4746 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:31 PM »
if you read the post and get sick do not panic it just means you have not tithed by listening to my smash hit album endgame available everywhere now, if symptoms persist there maybe space available on my special personal prayers list. In these trying times it's important to know that only two things with save us, prayer and getting this economy back on track thank you god bless

But what if you get it? Does it mean God can die?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4747 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:48 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

What is the alternative media doing differently from the mainstream media regarding this? I haven't seen any media outlet say old people need to die for the economy
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4748 on: March 30, 2020, 08:49:33 PM »
trumpy took a lil bit long figuring out how to grift off national tragedy like the pros do! :trumps
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:37:16 PM by filler »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4749 on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:37 PM »
Lol Trump accidentally letting us know how fucked we really are, sweet

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #4750 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »
Ya love to see it. Boomer Remover™ doing the job of removing Boomers. :doge

No I don't love to see people dying from disease?

I'll be edgy a moment and say: I do. If folks like the UK dinner, Seattle Choir, Florida Slip-and-Slide party want to get-together over "FAKE NEWS!!!!!111oneone!1111!1!"™, catch it and die: Well they Darwin Awarded themselves. It's nobody's fault but their own for continuing to ignore WHO/Federal Doctor's orders.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought this was America/UK/whatever country" only goes so far when you have literal journalists and articles about the dangers of this virus.

I feel bad for the folks that get caught by their stupidity, but folks going to Cancun or whatever for Spring Break and the doctors around the country are like "no, you shouldn't go anywhere unless it's to literally get food for yourself and family?" Nah, fuck them. They knew the risks. :trumps

Real psycho hours here.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #4751 on: March 30, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »
As long as I'm partially immune for a few months I'm choosing to see this as an absolute win #hopepunk

Isn't it worse when you get it a second time

Don't know if that's really possible? Logically speaking, you'd no longer be immunologicaly naive anymore so you'd think the second time around you'd be less caught off-guard, physiologically.
But I suppose it remains to be seen for a while yet, needs research. And all you see floating around for it is often fake/mischaracterized news.   

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #4752 on: March 30, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »
it's worth noting that antibodies aren't forever and it's unclear how long the immunity will last. it could be months to upwards of a few years when judging by prior coronaviruses.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #4753 on: March 30, 2020, 09:16:22 PM »
If I remember correctly, there are more "learning" mechanisms associated with the immune system than just the antibodies. But I don't quite recall and don't know enough about the subject to even know where to start.
SARS 1.0 had antibodies persisting for over year IIRC. Realistically speaking, once you've caught it once, unless you go bubble boy after the fact you'll probably be continually exposed well before say a year mark. So I don't know how that'd effect antibody persistence.

benjipwns

« Reply #4754 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »
Can you guys stop talking this gobbledygook technobabble and get back to some facts truth about the BOOMER REMOVER's cultural and societal cleansing forces?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4755 on: March 30, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
Pretty positive outlook on things and how to deal with the virus.

ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #4756 on: March 30, 2020, 09:41:01 PM »
There's this show called Live PD that's basically COPS but it's live, and every other dude the cops are trying to arrest tonight is claiming "I've got the corona, don't touch me!" :lol
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fbi-arrests-man-allegedly-coughing-agents-hoarding-selling/story?id=69884846
On Sunday, FBI agents said they approached Feldheim at his home after observing several individuals walking away from his door with boxes that they believed contained medical equipment.

"After identifying themselves as FBI agents, they told Feldheim that they wanted to stay a distance away from him given concerns over the spread of Coronavirus," the DOJ said in a statement. "When the agents were within four to five feet of him, Feldheim allegedly coughed in their direction without covering his mouth."

Feldheim then told the agents he was infected with COVID-19, according to DOJ.

As a result, Feldheim was arrested and charged with assaulting a federal officer, as well as making false statements after prosecutors said he repeatedly lied about his possession and sale of the equipment.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4758 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
Pretty positive outlook on things and how to deal with the virus.

Hmm, this guy works with my bro, although my bro says he doesn't know him too well.
^_^

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #4759 on: March 30, 2020, 10:48:58 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ultra-orthodox-israelis-chafe-coronavirus-141852785.html

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli police have used a drone, helicopter and stun grenades in recent days to prevent people gathering in an ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of Jerusalem in defiance of Health Ministry measures aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus.

On Monday, police, some in riot gear and surgical masks, encountered occasional resistance and verbal abuse while enforcing the measures in a part of the city whose residents have long chafed against the state.

"Nazis!" shouted a group of boys, as police pulled men off the narrow streets of Mea Shearim.

As well as broadcasting the message "Stay Home" from the helicopter and drone, police have issued offenders with fines.

Israeli officials describe the ultra-Orthodox as especially prone to contagion because their districts tend to be poor and congested, and in normal times they are accustomed to holding thrice-daily prayers with often large congregations.

Some of their rabbis have also cast doubt on the degree of coronavirus risk.

Many ultra-Orthodox reject the authority of the Israeli state, whose Jewish majority is mostly secular.

Israel's 21 percent Arab minority are another sensitive community, where officials say testing for the virus has been lagging.

"There are three 'Corona Countries' - the ultra-Orthodox sector, the Arab sector and the rest of the State of Israel," Defense Minister Naftali Bennett told reporters on Sunday.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4760 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:56 PM »
"Nazis!" shouted a group of boys, as police pulled men off the narrow streets of Mea Shearim.

User banned (3 months): antisemitism
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4763 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:33 PM »
 :bernie

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #4764 on: March 31, 2020, 12:39:54 AM »
at the current rate of growth (doubling every three days), here are the new US estimates

Mon 3/30   150,000
Tue 3/31   189,000
Wed 4/1   238,140
Thu 4/2   300,056
Fri 4/3   378,071
Sat 4/4   476,370
Sun 4/5   600,226
Mon 4/6   756,284
Tue 4/7   952,918
Wed 4/8   1,200,677
Thu 4/9   1,512,853
Fri 4/10   1,906,195

hopefully it slows down even more, although it's amazing to me that even with all the measures in place we'll still have millions of cases. How long can people stay inside?
每天生气

team filler

• filler
  • filler

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #4766 on: March 31, 2020, 01:12:54 AM »
at the current rate of growth (doubling every three days), here are the new US estimates

Mon 3/30   150,000
Tue 3/31   189,000
Wed 4/1   238,140
Thu 4/2   300,056
Fri 4/3   378,071
Sat 4/4   476,370
Sun 4/5   600,226
Mon 4/6   756,284
Tue 4/7   952,918
Wed 4/8   1,200,677
Thu 4/9   1,512,853
Fri 4/10   1,906,195

hopefully it slows down even more, although it's amazing to me that even with all the measures in place we'll still have millions of cases. How long can people stay inside?

Isn't half your country half-assing this currently?

team filler

• filler
  • filler

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4768 on: March 31, 2020, 02:33:00 AM »

Mon 3/30   150,000
Tue 3/31   189,000
Wed 4/1   238,140
Thu 4/2   300,056
Fri 4/3   378,071
Sat 4/4   476,370
Sun 4/5   600,226
Mon 4/6   756,284
Tue 4/7   952,918
Wed 4/8   1,200,677
Thu 4/9   1,512,853
Fri 4/10   1,906,195

Isn't half your country half-assing this currently?

Yeah I don't think our testing will ever catch up with the number of actual cases. Particularly in states like Florida and Arizona.

Also if we're doubling every three days, then wouldn't half the country be infected in 30 days or so? I'm guessing we'll see it slow down as quarantines should start to show their effects soon (2 week lag?) but we already starting to saturate the healthcare resources. In my brothers hospital, people have to reuse N95 masks using the baking method.

One thing I know is that there's going to be a massive protest after this is done, all that money thrown at healthcare administrators in this country and there's basically no logistics in place.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4770 on: March 31, 2020, 02:54:01 AM »

Iceland conducted tests on a random sample of 5k people (on top of 10k tests presumably done for symptoms / suspicions / people coming back from at risk regions) for a total population of 364k. So far they have 1086 positive cases. Complete stats here :https://www.covid.is/data.

Island nation and all that but that's one of the only "large" test sample we have so far.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:04:44 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

jorma

« Reply #4772 on: March 31, 2020, 03:35:19 AM »

Iceland conducted tests on a random sample of 16k people for a total population of 364k (approx. and info dated March 29) which returned 1086 positive cases. Complete stats here :https://www.covid.is/data.

Island nation and all that but for the sake of argument just assuming that 1 in 16 is correct and applying it to the USA...

That's awesome!
More good news:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-Europe-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdf

They project that Spain is at 15% already, with 41% in the "credible range".

Another dude quoted in Swedish media today says that Sweden might have up to one million infected already. The official number is 150 dead and 4000 infected, so would be pretty amazing if true.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4774 on: March 31, 2020, 04:26:04 AM »
that is the most cali bullshit I have ever seen.

Fifstar

« Reply #4775 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:57 AM »

Iceland conducted tests on a random sample of 16k people for a total population of 364k (approx. and info dated March 29) which returned 1086 positive cases. Complete stats here :https://www.covid.is/data.

Island nation and all that but for the sake of argument just assuming that 1 in 16 is correct and applying it to the USA...

The thing is our current predictions on CFR or people needing heavy medical care are mainly based on the known infections. So if the dark figures are really that much higher, it also means it's less dangerous.

Btw. I'm not quite sure I understand the site you linked. Seems like 1086 infections is the total known number of infections, no? And those infections seem to be detected mainly through the normal process (being tested after showing symptoms). To my understanding it looks like just about 100 unfections were detected through the sampling (the orange bars that say decode genetics).This link says the samping suggets about 1% of the general population is infected https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/iceland-employs-detective-work-testing-quarantine-coronavirus-fight-n1170166

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:52:26 AM by Fifstar »
Gulp

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #4776 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:58 AM »
White people always make drum circles when they're stressed. It's very weird.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4777 on: March 31, 2020, 05:40:05 AM »

The thing is our current predictions on CFR or people needing heavy medical care are mainly based on the known infections. So if the dark figures are really that much higher, it also means it's less dangerous.

If the problem is not the lethality but how fast it is spreading, we're still left with the same problems on how to reopen safely. Though a very high rate of untracked infections with benign effects, if some immunity naturally exists after carrying it, would have the problem sort of sorting itself.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4778 on: March 31, 2020, 05:53:02 AM »
Some excerpts from an article about the Swedish approach and one of the study that may inform it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/comments/fsa0za/the_pandemic_crippled_malm%C3%B6_ten_years_ago_swedish/
ὕβρις

Fifstar

« Reply #4779 on: March 31, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »
Edited my post, so here again regarding the data:

Btw. I'm not quite sure I understand the site you linked. Seems like 1086 infections is the total known number of infections, no? And those infections seem to be detected mainly through the normal process (being tested after showing symptoms). To my understanding it looks like just about 100 unfections were detected through the sampling (the orange bars that say decode genetics).This link says the samping suggets about 1% of the general population is infected https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/iceland-employs-detective-work-testing-quarantine-coronavirus-fight-n1170166
Gulp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4780 on: March 31, 2020, 06:02:05 AM »
Edited my post, so here again regarding the data:

You're right. Apparently the sampling is approx 5k(?) individuals. The rest of the tests would probably be the result of people being taken in charge by health professionals because of symptoms or suspicions, which would obviously produce higher positive results. I was misled by a simplistic presentation of the numbers elsewhere.

Amended my earlier post.
Still interesting because that's one of the few "large" pooling sample to population we have to get an idea of how many asymptomatic cases there are.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:08:05 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4781 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:07 AM »
The Paris Prosecutor ("AG" I guess is the closest equivalent) said he received "a dozen" complaints against the government for the COVID management crisis already.
ὕβρις

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #4782 on: March 31, 2020, 06:45:26 AM »
Apparently, according to the experts, we are doing pretty well here.

Experts hopeful Australia is turning corner on coronavirus as Health Minister declares curve is flattening

The daily growth rate of coronavirus cases in Australia has fallen so significantly that the federal Health Minister believes "we are now flattening the curve".

Greg Hunt said the daily increase in cases had dropped from 25–30 per cent just over a week ago to 9 per cent this week.

Experts say the slowing growth rate of COVID-19 shows the actions taken by the National Cabinet, and individual Australians, are working.

Mr Hunt said the physical-distancing measures being implemented by Australians were saving lives.

"In these most difficult of times, with these most difficult of measures that none of us had ever dreamt we would ever be involved in, you have risen to the occasion," he said.

"We are seeing what I would describe as early promising signs of the curve flattening."

But Victorian authorities are concerned about a jump in suspected community transmissions in that state, and have warned the virus could begin significantly spreading in the next few days.

Paul Glasziou, the director of Bond University's Institute for Evidence-Based Healthcare, said "things are actually looking very good".

He said the data showed measures such as cancellations of mass gatherings and travel bans had made a difference.

The professor estimates Australia would have had about 8,000 cases of the virus by now, rather than just over 4,000, if the National Cabinet had not taken such measures.

Considering numbers are, at best, a reflection of the situation about a week ago, then I expect a bit of a spike in the next few days because of the fucking cruise ships and people returning from overseas.

Hopefully we can limit community spread sufficiently.
Spud

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4783 on: March 31, 2020, 07:19:00 AM »
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4784 on: March 31, 2020, 07:24:56 AM »
Two senators for French Guiana have made a statement they'd like the help of Cuban doctors. French Guiana is, unsurprisingly, a territory where healthcare infrastructure is the lightest.
ὕβρις

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #4786 on: March 31, 2020, 07:37:20 AM »
White people always make drum circles when they're stressed. It's very weird.

#notallwhites

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4787 on: March 31, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Turkmenistan solves the "Coronavirus" crisis !
https://rsf.org/en/news/turkmenistan-bans-word-coronavirus
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4788 on: March 31, 2020, 08:19:06 AM »
It only took 30 years, but I think now is the time for the Flowbee to take off.  They should've been marketing this product to doomsday preppers all this time.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4790 on: March 31, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »

Mon 3/30   150,000
Tue 3/31   189,000
Wed 4/1   238,140
Thu 4/2   300,056
Fri 4/3   378,071
Sat 4/4   476,370
Sun 4/5   600,226
Mon 4/6   756,284
Tue 4/7   952,918
Wed 4/8   1,200,677
Thu 4/9   1,512,853
Fri 4/10   1,906,195

This will give you better regression lines 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/21/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-by-country.html

edit: 3 days for us is pretty spot on

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4791 on: March 31, 2020, 09:40:33 AM »
For all the (deserved) shit far-left Mélenchon gets in France, he actually had a good question yesterday : "Everyone agrees with the exceptional shutdown now, but it has been extended to April 15th. So be it, but by what metrics or criteria is the government deciding we may exit it ?".

The whole thing is moving incredibly fast and most countries have reacted to an emergency but I think it's pertinent to ask this (and the implied follow up : what next ?).
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4792 on: March 31, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »
Also Macron announced 4 billion euros to masks, PPE and ventilators... Said that the EU should regain some production self capacity on those items. Also promised a massive plan to haul French healthcare (which is good but was under "rationalisation" attempts for 20 to 30 years).

The guy was elected as the liberal international capitalist centrist that was gonna tow the EU deficit line, balance budgets and modernize France but he's making billions rain now. I like that better, don't get me wrong, but :lol
ὕβρις

BisMarckie

« Reply #4793 on: March 31, 2020, 10:17:13 AM »
Still can’t find a roofer to fix a broken tile.

Had to climb up there myself and temporarily put some foil over the broken tile. I don’t even know if that has any effect, but I could have been one of the corona deaths not showing up in any statistic.  >:(

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #4794 on: March 31, 2020, 10:17:58 AM »
I think corona is sort of dying out now. Bit of a bust really
:O

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4795 on: March 31, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »
Think you just became accustomed to the new normal. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4796 on: March 31, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
Still can’t find a roofer to fix a broken tile.

Had to climb up there myself and temporarily put some foil over the broken tile. I don’t even know if that has any effect, but I could have been one of the corona deaths not showing up in any statistic.  >:(

Congrats on foiling your tile in these trying times. 

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #4797 on: March 31, 2020, 11:07:31 AM »
gosh aren't all our faces gonna be red when it turns out corona was a gloablist hoax to help us get used to a police state  :stahp
(ice)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #4798 on: March 31, 2020, 11:12:47 AM »
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1244999134463111168

The Fascists have called in their old Allies in this effort to gaslight us : *checks note* doctors and nurses.
ὕβρις

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4799 on: March 31, 2020, 11:23:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1244999134463111168

The Fascists have called in their old Allies in this effort to gaslight us : *checks note* doctors and nurses.
i'm sure he'll remember this strong stance against state's rights the next time something related to abortion comes up