Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1098157 times)

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
Re: Corona Thread |OT| The Curse of La Rona
« Reply #8760 on: June 05, 2020, 12:56:40 PM »
always seems to be old people who do it too :biden

If I was old and had early onset dementia I'd wanna die too TBH.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #8762 on: June 05, 2020, 02:51:21 PM »
Here in San Jose, I always see masks at stores because almost all of them have signs saying you can't enter without one.

The exception is parks, I went to a park once and I saw almost no one with a mask. Originally, the city flipped over all the picnic tables and put signs and caution tape on them saying that they are not to be used because of social distancing but I saw about half of them flipped over and occupied by white people. I'm not trying to be racist, but it's what you would expect...

I have no idea where people got masks from, I know some stores started giving them out to shoppers who didn't have one but I don't know if you needed to buy it or if it was free. Personally, I've had an N95 from a year ago during the wildfires that my work gave out and that's all I've been using for almost 4 months. I have a bunch of extras I got from my brother who works in a hospital though. How often are you supposed to switch them out or "bake" them?
please let me know if you need masks, my friend who lives in SJ has been sewing them for friends&family. I currently have 3 that I hand wash between uses and alternate each day of the week I go out.

Thanks but no worries, I got plenty.

Bebpo

« Reply #8763 on: June 05, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
Man, I look at my county numbers and we're not even at a plateau, but still having soft increases going up the slope in everything.

And I got a fedex guy at my door today because one thing I was getting delivered apparently needed a verbal signature and fedex isn't even wearing masks anymore? Like they're on the "hey, we're done Covid is over" train? I tried to stay about 6 feet back and give the guy my name when he asked for it, but it definitely made me less comfortable to know fedex, or at least these guy, is over masks already.

At least all the instacart people who've been delivering my groceries have still been showing up with masks.

Tripon

« Reply #8764 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »
I think you'll also see the Asians grocery stores in general do the mask thing. The Korea and Japanese gorcery store is 100% masks. The Smart and Final is much more spotty. 

Tripon

« Reply #8765 on: June 05, 2020, 06:12:47 PM »
https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/1269012854201446401

I don't think schools will reopen anytime soon, fall included. But we'll see.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #8767 on: June 05, 2020, 07:28:25 PM »
I mean yeah.

the Protests are important and necessary at this moment in time,
and
Covid-19 is going to get a hell of a lot worse because of them.

It is what it is. Whatever precautions people are taking right now to avoid getting sick with Covid for themselves and their loved ones, they should amp those up tenfold in a month when Covid is even more prevalent everywhere and easier to catch in the USA.

In my personal friend group, today marked the second friend whose office had someone test Covid positive and their office is shutting down for 2 weeks. Feels like only a matter of time before every office in the USA has someone test positive. I'm dreading it happening at ours. Our office has called a handful of employees back who are spread out at stations 20 feet or more apart and has installed plexiglass walls around 3 out of 4 sides of each station and requires masks and handwashing regularly. Idk if that'll be enough. I'm still working from home until 2021 because it's not worth even taking a chance.

Bebpo

« Reply #8768 on: June 05, 2020, 07:35:04 PM »
Yeah cheaper grocery store down the street that never really went that hardcore has a lot of employees pulling their masks down to chat, or joking around and putting them on their head.

Nicer store nearest me is still in full on crazy protocol mode;  closed most of the doors so you can only pick up a cart at the one place they are obsessively cleaning them, have the giant plastic screens in front of the tellers + they are wearing plastic screens on their faces, one way aisles, asking people to shop alone (not strict about that though), etc.

Not shockingly also see almost 100% mask usage at that store and maybe 50% masks at the other store.   A lot of this stuff is going to be drawn around class lines unfortunately;  the poorer you are the more likely you are to not follow rules like that.

My local grocery chain had changed the entrances to dedicated entrance and exit only, every cart was sprayed and wiped down before a customer took it. And then they just....stopped doing any of that. For a while all staff wore masks but now most of them don't, but they did put up plastic barriers at all the registers.

:'(

It's one thing when your joe6pack is over it and stops wearing a mask or caring because MISSION ACCOMPLISHED,
but if the essential service companies like groceries and deliveries and stuff stop at this point that's ridiculous. Makes me so mad  :maf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8769 on: June 05, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
Yeah cheaper grocery store down the street that never really went that hardcore has a lot of employees pulling their masks down to chat, or joking around and putting them on their head.

Nicer store nearest me is still in full on crazy protocol mode;  closed most of the doors so you can only pick up a cart at the one place they are obsessively cleaning them, have the giant plastic screens in front of the tellers + they are wearing plastic screens on their faces, one way aisles, asking people to shop alone (not strict about that though), etc.

Not shockingly also see almost 100% mask usage at that store and maybe 50% masks at the other store.   A lot of this stuff is going to be drawn around class lines unfortunately;  the poorer you are the more likely you are to not follow rules like that.

My local grocery chain had changed the entrances to dedicated entrance and exit only, every cart was sprayed and wiped down before a customer took it. And then they just....stopped doing any of that. For a while all staff wore masks but now most of them don't, but they did put up plastic barriers at all the registers.
I noticed the exact same thing when I went shopping today. Maybe it has something to do with research showing that surface infections are very uncommon?
Seems like some signal went out that it's not necessary anymore on normie facebook. I dunno.
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8771 on: June 05, 2020, 11:26:44 PM »
Just realized we're at 111,000 dead now. 1/10 people who were killed by coronavirus died last week.
每天生气

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8772 on: June 05, 2020, 11:28:40 PM »
Yeah, shit started popping off right after we hit 100k, which is already a big round number, so everyone just got stuck rhetorically on "a pandemic that's killed 100,000 Americans."

Meanwhile the virus is still out there doing work.

shosta

« Reply #8773 on: June 05, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
111k is just an unfathomably large number of preventable deaths. They'll look at us in the future like we're barbarians.
每天生气

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #8774 on: June 06, 2020, 02:00:15 AM »
111k is just an unfathomably large number of preventable deaths. They'll look at us in the future like we're barbarians.

Don’t worry, the UK having 40k already is gonna save your asses when it comes to deaths per million people.

Although you ramping up to 10k in a week if it carries is gonna be awful, I dread to think what these protests are going to do with the numbers of cases. But then again I agree what they’re protesting, over here the health minister on the update begged people not to protest today, but that sure as fuck isn’t going to stop people.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8775 on: June 06, 2020, 02:17:10 AM »
Excess deaths are going to be dad.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8776 on: June 06, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
Brazil:

-30k new cases yesterday
-1k deaths yesterday
-65% of total tests conducted have resulted in a positive
dog

Tripon

Fifstar

« Reply #8779 on: June 06, 2020, 11:34:20 AM »
Brazil:

-30k new cases yesterday
-1k deaths yesterday
-65% of total tests conducted have resulted in a positive

Dafuq
Gulp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8780 on: June 06, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »
Brazil is getting really bad, no sign of slowing down at all [more like speeding up, unfortunately].
dog

Tripon

« Reply #8781 on: June 06, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/sweden-people-coronavirus-symptoms-getting-131000664.html

On the first day of her illness in March, Yvonne Karolin was so exhausted, she could barely lift a spoon to her mouth. Within a week, she had shortness of breath, a sore throat, headaches, and a low-grade fever — all symptoms of the coronavirus.

"It is not possible to distinguish COVID-19 from other infections from only the symptoms," the Swedish Public Health Agency website reads. "A laboratory test is required."

But Karolin, a 50-year-old development manager who lives in Stockholm, never got a test.

After calling Sweden's free healthcare hotline, Vårdguiden 1177, she was told to go the hospital. There, she waited two hours in a tent, only to be told by the doctor that the hospital wasn't administering diagnostic tests for COVID-19.

"She said, 'No, we don't test. We don't test anyone. We don't even test ourselves.' And then she left," Karolin said of the doctor's response.
Unlike other countries in Europe, Sweden opted not to impose a nationwide lockdown. Instead, it asked citizens to exercise social responsibility by maintaining a safe distance from one another and isolating if they felt sick. But the nation lags beyond most of the world in terms of coronavirus testing rates, making it hard to determine the full scale of its outbreak.

Sweden is currently administering around 27 tests per 1,000 people. That's far less than nearby Iceland and Denmark, which are administering 180 tests and 94 tests per 1,000 people, respectively. Even the US, which struggled with early delays in getting diagnostic tests distributed and available, is testing around 56 out of every 1,000 people.

Public-health experts agree that widespread testing is critical to know whether an outbreak is contained.

"I think there has been no testing at all here in Sweden, more or less," Karolin said. "That is the biggest mistake ever in this country that they haven't tested anyone."

Tripon

« Reply #8782 on: June 06, 2020, 02:36:15 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8784 on: June 06, 2020, 07:56:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/NBCPhiladelphia/status/1269330816741650433

Hopefully none of these people are infected :existential
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #8785 on: June 06, 2020, 08:06:33 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #8787 on: June 06, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
So it’s getting worse and we’re done trying, is that the vibe?

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8788 on: June 06, 2020, 10:35:40 PM »
If a public school has a pre-K program, I don’t even know how you set guidelines for it. Everything they do is group, play-based learning.

Guess they’ll just sit outside and play in the dirt by themselves.

Tripon

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #8790 on: June 06, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
CORRECTION: It was Florida's last governor and current senator whose company was embezzling from Medicaid, not its current governor.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8791 on: June 06, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
So it’s getting worse and we’re done trying, is that the vibe?

Yep.  America is just jumping from one crisis to the next.

Tripon

« Reply #8792 on: June 07, 2020, 12:18:07 AM »
Florida spent like $80 million to rework their unemployment website during Rick Scott's time as governor to make it harder to claim unemployment to make the numbers look smaller. Then a once in a century pandemic hit.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8794 on: June 07, 2020, 09:52:16 AM »
Our government still insists there's no scientific evidence that the widespread use of masks helps to reduce the spread.
Nor did they put much effort in protecting the elderly of which many died in care homes.

We never went into a 'full' lockdown like New York and Italy and even the left thinks China created the virus in a lab and the WHO helped to cover it up.
Now that there was a massive BLM protest in Amsterdam, everyone is PISSED that they have to accept all sorts of restrictions.
Both the people that want their restaurants fully opened and not just 30 seats and 2 people per table and the protest groups who want to protest more.

The calls to open up everything with no restrictions and to just 'let it ride' are growing louder and louder.

The mood is basically this:  :hmph

🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8795 on: June 07, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »
Dutch directness 8)

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1269622640391618560
here in united states, we don't think about coronavirus at all

Tripon

BisMarckie

« Reply #8797 on: June 07, 2020, 08:16:41 PM »
Primary schools will open in some states at full capacity next week.
The numbers look good, but I still question what purpose this has. Summer break will be two weeks away at that point.

Tripon

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8799 on: June 07, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »
isn't that where all the rich elites are hiding out? of course they get the island virus free  :pacspit

Ghoul

« Reply #8800 on: June 08, 2020, 07:21:01 AM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8802 on: June 08, 2020, 10:53:37 AM »
my job opened back up today and i refused to go in. i saw what they were up to on zoom and welp it was business as usual - a bunch of people hanging out in smallish room and high fiving and shit, except now some of them had masks on their chins. i love my coworkers but fuck me i can never go back to that. just sad.
pcp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8803 on: June 08, 2020, 11:28:08 AM »
Is everyone ready for Corona Cjune!
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #8804 on: June 08, 2020, 11:50:58 AM »
I see a about...60-70% mask wearing when grocery shopping.  Almost entirely older dudes or teens not wearing them.

The people I see without masks are often the people most at risk. Like an old couple who clearly don’t get around really well, and are clearly obese walking around Walmart like nothing is happening

Tripon

shosta

« Reply #8806 on: June 08, 2020, 12:39:12 PM »
wrong thread
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 12:43:27 PM by shosta »
每天生气

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8807 on: June 08, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »
"grandpa shits his pants again"
pcp

Tripon

« Reply #8808 on: June 08, 2020, 12:49:11 PM »

German Paratrooper during WWII?  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8809 on: June 08, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »

German Paratrooper during WWII?  :doge

Fallschirmjäger toughened up by the war in Russia it sounds like.
🤴

Tripon

« Reply #8810 on: June 08, 2020, 01:48:32 PM »
Coronavirus patients who don't have any symptoms aren't driving  the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the virus could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have any symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asympomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said, but it remains "rare." That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread.

"What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases," Van Kerkhove said. "If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce" the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?__source=twitter%7Cmain

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #8811 on: June 08, 2020, 01:58:48 PM »
Both Ontario and Quebec are starting to look better.  Toronto itself is not doing great, but it might be ok with regional opening.

Think we are in for a long road due to America being fucked though.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #8812 on: June 08, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/DrZoeHyde/status/1269968447753949185

Based on the above and using death totals without adding excess deaths, the IFRs are as follows (from lowest to highest):

Norway   0.96%
Austria   0.98%
Belgium   1%
Denmark   1%
Spain   1.01%
UK   1.17%
Switzerland   1.17%
Italy   1.22%
Germany   1.23%
Sweden   1.25%
France   1.31%

Tuckers Law

« Reply #8813 on: June 08, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »
Coronavirus patients who don't have any symptoms aren't driving  the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the virus could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections.

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn't have any symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asympomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it's being transmitted.

To be sure, asymptomatic and presymptomatic spread of the virus appears to still be happening, Van Kerkhove said, but it remains "rare." That finding has important implications for how to screen for the virus and limit its spread.

"What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases," Van Kerkhove said. "If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce" the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?__source=twitter%7Cmain
I really hope this is the case.

Bebpo

« Reply #8814 on: June 08, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »

That doesn't make a lot of sense though. People are generally staying away from other people or staying home or wearing masks if they're sick and have symptoms. Yet the spread in contagion is absolutely huge. It just seems odd if it's not the asymptomatic people who think they are fine, or haven't developed symptoms that are spreading it in mass.

I wonder if they count symptomatic people who spread before symptoms develop as asymptomatic spread.

Tripon

« Reply #8815 on: June 08, 2020, 03:50:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1270080157211152388

81 deaths this weekend. L.A. County is a long way to getting to zero and likely never will until a vaccine is distributed to everyone.

Bebpo

« Reply #8816 on: June 08, 2020, 03:53:56 PM »
Yeah, So Cal is fucked. Not glad to be living here atm. Wish I could move along with my family to Canada.

Tripon

bluemax

« Reply #8818 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:25 AM »
We never flattened the curve and Garcetti started reopening stuff because Ventura and Orange County were. Now we've got bars, schools, day camps and movie theaters opening up this Friday.

They're gonna try to blame it on protests which is a load of shit.
NO

shosta

每天生气