Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3178500 times)

Boredfrom

Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #17880 on: June 14, 2020, 04:31:20 PM »
I want to believe all this is just Jason finally feeling the heat for being a double faced asshole, but is probably not.

The guy can get scoops, but he is so transparent in his jerkass behavior.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Boredfrom

« Reply #17883 on: June 14, 2020, 04:39:11 PM »
Why is Jason so concerned over the overhype? This hyperboles also happen in other entertainment industries and people laugh it off when it cools down. Is he afraid this kind of stuff will facilitate “crunch time”?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17884 on: June 14, 2020, 04:41:10 PM »
-"Hey this is weirdly personal." (On Twitter ? :pika)
-"Nuance is hard sometimes."
-"FUCK OFF YOU SWEATSHOP FOREMAN !"

:lol
ὕβρις

Raist

« Reply #17885 on: June 14, 2020, 04:42:54 PM »
It's amazing to see him take that angle right after starting working for fucking BLoomberg :lol

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17886 on: June 14, 2020, 04:43:36 PM »
Why is Jason so concerned over the overhype? This hyperboles also happen in other entertainment industries and people laugh it off when it cools down. Is he afraid this kind of stuff will facilitate “crunch time”?

He's just making fun of how self-lauditory they are being. To put it in terms resetera can understand, Jason is "punching up".

Boredfrom

« Reply #17887 on: June 14, 2020, 04:48:15 PM »

He's just making fun of how self-lauditory they are being. To put it in terms resetera can understand, Jason is "punching up".

But why getting heated about it? Why go to the “big yikes” route because the game being (hilariously) compared with the Schindler list? The Skill Up guy played the game and destroy it, and got a totally different answer from Druckmann.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17888 on: June 14, 2020, 04:53:39 PM »

But why getting heated about it? Why go to the “big yikes” route because the game being (hilariously) compared with the Schindler list? The Skill Up guy played the game and destroy it, and got a totally different answer from Druckmann.

Why not? It reflects worse on them than it does on him.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17889 on: June 14, 2020, 04:53:40 PM »
Also the game is getting critical laurels and according to people in that thread the limited, pricier, collector's edition is sold out.

Makes all that drama about discussing story leaks or speculating on some ulterior motive from the leaker LITERALLY DESTROYING LIVELIHOODS OF DEVS sillier still.
ὕβρις

zepblackstar

« Reply #17890 on: June 14, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
Jason is in a real news company and not kotaku anymore. he is giving no fucks about anyone now.

Boredfrom

« Reply #17891 on: June 14, 2020, 05:01:08 PM »

Why not? It reflects worse on them than it does on him.

I dunno, I dislike Jason more about all this, and probably I will agree that the hyperbole was ridiculous.

Also the game is getting critical laurels and according to people in that thread the limited, pricier, collector's edition is sold out.

Makes all that drama about discussing story leaks or speculating on some ulterior motive from the leaker LITERALLY DESTROYING LIVELIHOODS OF DEVS sillier still.

Angry Joe was so fucking mad about this game.  :lol

Maybe he is right and the story sucks, but his reaction was so heated. I don’t blame ERA that much for hating him so much after that, even if the Sony pony bias showed.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #17892 on: June 14, 2020, 05:05:31 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-ii-review-thread.225259/post-36914248

Neil Druckmann retweeting BANNED SOURCE SkillUp and ERA getting mad at Schreier's tweets.
 :biden
Why is he banned? I couldn’t find anything other then he seemed to speak up aginst the obvious problems of cancel culture. Even searching his twitter all I see is a pretty normal and probably leftist person.

I believe it happened after skillup critiqued the whole DICE launch event where they patted themselves on the back, framing everyone who thought their game made some bad choices as altright trolls

https://www.resetera.com/threads/dice-celebrates-battlefield-vs-launch-with-everyonesbattlefield-r-battlefields-goes-up-in-flames.84698/post-15601321

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17893 on: June 14, 2020, 05:08:06 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1272237950487560192

"Please stop making jokes about the ART I made!!"

:stahp

ShutUp

« Reply #17894 on: June 14, 2020, 05:08:22 PM »
Schreier being a prick? No way!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17895 on: June 14, 2020, 05:11:06 PM »
Schrier is the usual insufferable hypocrite larping as keyboard Che Guevara, and Druckmann came off as really pathetic, getting triggered by 3rd rate twitter jokes.

I dunno who to root for. :thinking

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #17896 on: June 14, 2020, 05:11:18 PM »

It's strange that he feels the need to defend this take. Comparing movies to games is already lazy, to compare it to a holocaust movie is worth of mockery unless the game is literally about the holocaust.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #17897 on: June 14, 2020, 05:14:00 PM »
LOCKED because
We don't need a thread to gawk at off-site drama.

...since fucking when?
That's like, half of the fucking OT content

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #17898 on: June 14, 2020, 05:17:45 PM »
Schrier is the usual insufferable hypocrite larping as keyboard Che Guevara, and Druckmann came off as really pathetic, getting triggered by 3rd rate twitter jokes.

I dunno who to root for. :thinking

Root for Phil Spencer da Gawd

Boredfrom

« Reply #17899 on: June 14, 2020, 05:18:51 PM »

It's strange that he feels the need to defend this take. Comparing movies to games is already lazy, to compare it to a holocaust movie is worth of mockery unless the game is literally about the holocaust.

Being fair, I don’t think is also wise to say that Schindler List is impactful because the holocaust was a real event. People also can make exploitative films about the Holocaust:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_the_Clown_Cried

Is definitely lazy criticism using  Schindler List given there is a lot of films that also generate those feeling of being afraid of keep watching human suffering. But is not “Metroid Prime is the citizen Kane of video games”.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17900 on: June 14, 2020, 05:19:43 PM »
In a medium where most games are Dickbutt, The Last of Us II is Boy With Apple

Raist

« Reply #17901 on: June 14, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »
LOCKED because
We don't need a thread to gawk at off-site drama.

...since fucking when?
That's like, half of the fucking OT content

Schreiieeier's posts on Reee account for like 60% of posts from "industry members". Must protecc him.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17902 on: June 14, 2020, 05:21:03 PM »

"A holocaust movie" doesn't mean shit.
Complaining about bad taste, and then having reverence for Shiendler's List, that navigates comfortably in Hollywood's saccharine bullshit approach to drama, is comical.

Haneke put it best:

Jeff Cannata's tweet is still the musing of a complete moron though, don't get me wrong, but why would you ever listen to a Nerd-Crew-level "critic"?

Boredfrom

« Reply #17903 on: June 14, 2020, 05:21:19 PM »
In a medium where most games are Dickbutt, The Last of Us II is Boy With Apple

But most mainstream  films are also Dickbutt.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17904 on: June 14, 2020, 05:24:28 PM »
lmao at Jason and Druckmann.

Still, the video game industry is quite small. Jason is an idiot for picking these fights  :doge.
🤴

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #17905 on: June 14, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/matt-gaetz-attacks-ron-perlman-for-being-a-white-supremacist-on-sons-of-anarchy.227344/post-36967534

Why do public Conservatives have trouble understanding fiction and the arts lol.

I'm not sure ERA can throw that stone.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/remember-when-the-confederate-tv-show-was-planned-for-hbo.223315/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/analyzing-the-percentage-of-female-fighters-in-the-rosters-of-the-current-batch-of-fighting-games-new-guilty-gear-strive-updated.10398/post-1935877
Good writeup, but please use women instead of females.
I get why you say that, obviously, but it is also a bit odd to say women, when we honestly do not know how all characters self-identify.
sigh

Raist

« Reply #17906 on: June 14, 2020, 05:32:02 PM »
lmao at Jason and Druckmann.

Still, the video game industry is quite small. Jason is an idiot for picking these fights  :doge.

He's not written about games for ages - other than dropping "leaks", he most digs up dirt (with no need for scrutiny). Why would he care :lol

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17907 on: June 14, 2020, 05:32:54 PM »

All the more impressive then. He knew when he wrote about the crunch conditions at ND they would retatliate by not sending him a review copy, but he wrote it anway. A journalist can't live in fear of offending their subjects.

Also, destroying his "working relationship" with ND clearly doesn't mean shit if he's still able to outscoop everyone else.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1256893466564603906?lang=en

Better to be an outsider looking in. There's always going to be people who appreciate objectivity, no matter how incestuous and hysterical the vidya game industry is.

Raist

« Reply #17908 on: June 14, 2020, 05:37:29 PM »
Is it really a scoop if he's tweeting about it hours after someone said the exact same thing - with a lot more detail? :lol

https://twitter.com/PixelButts/status/1256792950136172550

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17909 on: June 14, 2020, 05:39:52 PM »
It's a scoop if most people think it is

:kermit

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17910 on: June 14, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »

"A holocaust movie" doesn't mean shit.
Complaining about bad taste, and then having reverence for Shiendler's List, that navigates comfortably in Hollywood's saccharine bullshit approach to drama, is comical.

(...)

Jeff Cannata's tweet is still the musing of a complete moron though, don't get me wrong, but why would you ever listen to a Nerd-Crew-level "critic"?

I don't disagree, Schindler's List rubbed me the wrong way (one scene playing on morbid expectations especially) though I wouldn't go as far as calling it just a saccharine Hollywood movie and it runs into a ton of well worn critical considerations (didn't watch the Haneke video but his opinions are well known and I guess it's a bit of a repeat of the Godard shitting on that traveling in Kapo by Pontecorvo ?)... But if you want to be understood by a general audience I would see why you'd take that as a point of reference to make that point.

I think it's a eye rolling comparison, maybe not exactly the most tasteful.

But no one is gonna know what "The Last of Us 2" is the "Last Man on Earth" of videogames ! means.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:25:32 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #17911 on: June 14, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »

All the more impressive then. He knew when he wrote about the crunch conditions at ND they would retatliate by not sending him a review copy, but he wrote it anway. A journalist can't live in fear of offending their subjects.

Also, destroying his "working relationship" with ND clearly doesn't mean shit if he's still able to outscoop everyone else.

Better to be an outsider looking in. There's always going to be people who appreciate objectivity, no matter how incestuous and hysterical the vidya game industry is.

Eh... my problem with Jason is that is pretty clear he is not objective and tends to be hypocritical of who to shit on. I remember when he published the behind of scenes of Anthem but was claiming EA was not the big bad that screwed BioWare (even if the same piece pointed out that some of the most disastrous changes were also influenced by EA). People have all the right to shit on BioWare but pretending EA is not influencing the company was laughable. It tells me he wanted to publish the piece while still maintaining his sources at BioWare/EA intact (or at least not get Kotaku black listed from EA) while pretending nobody fucked up with the micro transactions stuff.

Jason is acting like keyboard Che Guevara But still posts in a forum that has three or four controversies about bigotry (even if they are silly) and was pretty silent about Evilore behavior when he did a online interview with him (people asked legitimately questions he just dismissed).

The guy can get stuff and dirt, but he is also a big double faced scumbag.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17912 on: June 14, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
Saccharine perhaps isn't the perfect descriptor, maybe neatly packaged manipulative storytelling, or edulcorated.
But the idea is you take a monstruous event, and package it with editing, music, etc, to have it be very easily digestible by a mass market audience.
Have it be entertainment, essentially.
I don't have the artistic and moral fiber of Haneke crearly (nor his complete lack of sense of humor  :doge),  despite thinking he's one of the best (still working) directors, but i'm having a hard time refuting his point.
I think Spielberg should've stuck with fun adventure movies, but then you can argue this level of rigor could be applied to any and all human tragedies throughout history, regardless of how fresh in our memory, though i wouldn't feel as bad out of an entertaining romp of the Sack of Rome, or whatever.

Regardless, saying you can't use that film in a comparison, because it's "a holocaust movie" doesn't mean much, because it itself uses the events as a way to entertain, and handhold its audience.

EDIT was answering VomKriege, obv.

EDIT 2: I should also add that i do find most mainstream "war" movies to be fundamentally childish in nature (think Saving private Ryan, 1917, Lebanon or similar stuff) but it's not to say i can't enjoy them on any level beyond that.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:11:58 PM by Don Rumata »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Boredfrom

« Reply #17915 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:02 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/bobservo/status/1272269691499671553

:doge  :doge  :doge

Is this UberTag?

Depending of his opinions about modern Simpsons, he has no right to bitch about quality.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17916 on: June 14, 2020, 06:24:52 PM »
Yeah, obviously calling it the War & Peace of videogames would be as bombastic and you could argue as insensitive to some dreadful real life events.

Read as parody after the whole "Citizen Kane of videogames" became fairly infamous. It's even more bizarre that this tweet is part of a 5 posts thread by the dude and that the movie name dropping is fairly unnecessary to the point he is making.

:yeshrug
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #17917 on: June 14, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »
Yeah, obviously calling it the War & Peace of videogames would be as bombastic and you could argue as insensitive to some dreadful real life events.

Read as parody even after the whole "Citizen Kane of videogames" became fairly infamous. It's even more bizarre that this tweet is part of a 5 posts thread by the dude and that the movie name dropping is fairly unnecessary to the point he is making.

Yeah, but a Simpson podcaster is the last person should bitch about hyperbolic stuff.

Ahoy-hoy, everyone! We're Talking Simpsons, and since 2015, we've been proudly producing a weekly, in-depth podcast exploring each and every episode of the best TV show on earth. 

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #17918 on: June 14, 2020, 06:29:25 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/bobservo/status/1272246544641568768

The influence of Schindler's List on gaming cannot be understated. Before the little girl with the red dress, microtransactions that changed character's appearances were rare in gaming.

Boredfrom

« Reply #17919 on: June 14, 2020, 06:37:36 PM »

Read as parody even after the whole "Citizen Kane of videogames" became fairly infamous. It's even more bizarre that this tweet is part of a 5 posts thread by the dude and that the movie name dropping is fairly unnecessary to the point he is making.

Yeah, but a Simpson podcaster is the last person should bitch about hyperbolic stuff.

Ahoy-hoy, everyone! We're Talking Simpsons, and since 2015, we've been proudly producing a weekly, in-depth podcast exploring each and every episode of the best TV show on earth. 

https://twitter.com/TheLonelyPhoton/status/1271593568403161090

Just like my video games.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17920 on: June 14, 2020, 06:39:48 PM »

Eh... my problem with Jason is that is pretty clear he is not objective and tends to be hypocritical of who to shit on. I remember when he published the behind of scenes of Anthem but was claiming EA was not the big bad that screwed BioWare (even if the same piece pointed out that some of the most disastrous changes were also influenced by EA). People have all the right to shit on BioWare but pretending EA is not influencing the company was laughable. It tells me he wanted to publish the piece while still maintaining his sources at BioWare/EA intact (or at least not get Kotaku black listed from EA) while pretending nobody fucked up with the micro transactions stuff.

Jason is acting like keyboard Che Guevara But still posts in a forum that has three or four controversies about bigotry (even if they are silly) and was pretty silent about Evilore behavior when he did a online interview with him (people asked legitimately questions he just dismissed).

He's a huge dumbass and an even bigger hypocrite but a broken clock is right two times a day, and a broken clock that spins backwards is right 4 times a day!

Raist

Raist

« Reply #17923 on: June 14, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Uh oh, big boy J might be losing some reee points soon.

https://twitter.com/philsinclair91/status/1272258338760413184

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17924 on: June 14, 2020, 06:44:33 PM »
Kate Gray finally apologised for posting child pornography on Kotaku that one time

And just in time for her new game, which she spruiks in the apology

https://mobile.twitter.com/hownottodraw/status/1271625707332997125

ShutUp

« Reply #17925 on: June 14, 2020, 06:51:46 PM »
Uh oh, big boy J might be losing some reee points soon.

https://twitter.com/philsinclair91/status/1272258338760413184

Schreier blocked this guy for this tweet  :lol such a spineless weasel

Boredfrom

« Reply #17926 on: June 14, 2020, 06:53:38 PM »
Quote from: Jason
deleted that MJ joke after five mins because I felt like it was off-target given the circumstances. But the target was Michael Jordan, a rich jerk. I think that's p clear. I have no idea why people are bringing it up now, as if it was racist or something? Cmon

https://www.resetera.com/threads/things-getting-heated-between-neil-druckmann-jason-schreier-and-cory-barlog-on-twitter.227377/page-10#post-36985885

Big Yikes for me.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17927 on: June 14, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »

Basically this whole Twitter feud is a lot of:

Boredfrom

« Reply #17928 on: June 14, 2020, 06:56:50 PM »

He's a huge dumbass and an even bigger hypocrite but a broken clock is right two times a day, and a broken clock that spins backwards is right 4 times a day!

My problem is people putting Jason in a pedestal, like RE tends to do. That Jason is starting to believe his own hype is also the thing that is irritating.

paprikastaude

« Reply #17929 on: June 14, 2020, 07:02:00 PM »
Quote from: jizzywinks, post: 36985990, member: 12612
I wish Jason was better than this.

Idolize videogame bloggers brehs.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17931 on: June 14, 2020, 07:03:53 PM »
The MJ $100Mil was a pretty bad joke, but not because it's offensive, just because it's not that funny. Also I was on board with Schrier poking fun at the Schindler's list comparison before, because I assumed he was joking, but now that he's gone all "MY FAMILY WAS MURDERED" it seems he's either actually offended, or is just pretending because he knows the no-one is going to accuse him of manufacturing outrage once the Hallocaust card is on the table.

Boredfrom

« Reply #17932 on: June 14, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
So it starting to sound this is less about a shitty review and more about the “crunch” yet again.

Raist

« Reply #17933 on: June 14, 2020, 07:05:25 PM »
The MJ $100Mil was a pretty bad joke, but not because it's offensive, just because it's not that funny. Also I was on board with Schrier poking fun at the Schindler's list comparison before, because I assumed he was joking, but now that he's gone all "MY FAMILY WAS MURDERED" it seems he's either actually offended, or is just pretending because he knows the no-one is going to accuse him of manufacturing outrage once the Hallocaust card is on the table.

Who knows?!

I think people reading this all as me taking offense when I've consistently said "I'm not offended it's just tacky" is a large part of the problem here tbh

Boredfrom

« Reply #17934 on: June 14, 2020, 07:05:47 PM »

I told you so. And no, he is not actually offended he is just scum.

ShutUp

« Reply #17935 on: June 14, 2020, 07:08:33 PM »
Jason well on his way to finally being cancelled by Era  :rejoice

Boredfrom

« Reply #17936 on: June 14, 2020, 07:08:49 PM »
Quote from: ProfessorBeef
  i guess that's where we differ because i don't see games as art, i see them as expensive toys

no more, no less

I guess it makes sense given how little you care about people passionate about it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/01/us/youtube-etika-desmond-amofah-suicide-trnd/index.html

they don't have to agree with me and that's perfectly valid, especially since it's not a stance that's up for discussion in my case

Just like Etika suicide.

Raist

« Reply #17937 on: June 14, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
I don't know Jeff and I don't really see an issue with publicly criticizing a public figure's public take.

Except if I, Jason "press sneak fuck" Schreieeieeir am being criticized, because then it's weirdly personal and also, my family died in Auschwitz.

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #17938 on: June 14, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »
Jason well on his way to finally being cancelled by Era  :rejoice
More like they wanna put Neil and Cory at the stake.

Then again they are going back and forth on who to guillotine

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #17939 on: June 14, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »
This feels a bit like a bunch of separate people trying to cancel each other at once, it's a bit of a mess

"Cancelling" is not a thing :wag

https://www.resetera.com/threads/things-getting-heated-between-neil-druckmann-jason-schreier-and-cory-barlog-on-twitter.227377/post-36987439
ὕβρις