Author Topic: Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back  (Read 65903 times)

Himu

Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back
« on: March 14, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »
This is beautiful.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:23:54 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Occam

Conservatives have broken brains, news at 11.

Himu

So my impressions of Star Trek Picard:

- I really, really love it and look forward to it each week.
- I find it to be the successor to the old Star Trek formula.
- It gives me a lot of encouragement to fight in a cruel universe.
- It carries over the old Trekkian slow, deliberate pacing. So much of it is talking about feelings and stuff such as this scene.

How do you think it will evolve in season 2? Will Picard go back to Starfleet?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
You cant post in the other Star Trek thread because some of us don't like the new show, so you need a safe space to talk about it?

What a baby
What

Himu

No, I can't post in the other Star Trek thread because NONE of the other posters like it and it's just endless shitting on it without anything constructive. I can't even post anything about liking it without some ass mongler just saying "no". Fuck off.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
You cant post in the other Star Trek thread because some of us don't like the new show, so you need a safe space to talk about it?

What a baby

Safe space versus shit thread. Tough choice.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
I like Q

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
I wish there had been a safe space thread for LOST back in the day. :'(
WDW

Himu

So my impressions of Star Trek Discovery season 2 as someone that really liked season 1 despite the issues:

- The slower pacing really does the show wonders.
- Saru remains fantastic
- lost of old Star Trek type episodes that are stand alone but also help move the plot forward. They've found a nice balance between the two. It's like a mixture of DS9 and TNG in that regard.
- far more ethical considerations
- a bit too much fanservice for my liking and that was my main issue with it before and it's a massive complaint but it doesn't take over the show as much as I thought it would, which is good.
- I really like the new smart ass engineering lady.
- So much talking! So little action! Trek! :hyper
- Dorky stuff like "the power of math, people!" is kind of lame, but they're nitpicks and fit the characters. Tully, as a socially weird person would totally say that geeky shit despite being a professional. So it's not too much skin off my nose despite not liking it.
- A bit too much comedy.

Overall, it's a considerable improvement on season 1 despite whatever issues it has such as the Red Angel. Still watching and will fully review once I'm done!
IYKYK

Himu

I posted it in the Star Trek thread and just got bitching. It's what prompted the creation of the thread in the first place.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: Alternate Star Trek thread
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »
Bumping and renaming.

No RLM content.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 01:30:27 PM »
Hoping the mod team will do a better job at not making this thread escalate. Take a proactive stance, you cowards. All the best wishes.

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »
I just watched Justice (TNG) and started reading the production details, man the original version before Roddenbery "sexed it up" sounded so much cooler.

John D. F. Black's original pitch featured a story about capital punishment. His idea was based on a film treatment detailing the colony planet of Llarof where capital punishment is handed down as a sentence for any offense except against those who are immune from the law. In the treatment, a security officer is killed by a local law enforcement officer, who is then killed himself by his partner for unjustly killing the Enterprise crewman. The planet would have had a rebel faction who wanted to overthrow the laws, which Picard refused to back initially whilst citing the Prime Directive. A second draft featured a rebel leader executed for treason.[1] Black explained the premise of a society that developed laws to prevent terrorism and chaos: "Let's say that what we do is kill everybody who is a terrorist or suspected of being a terrorist. Now the people who have killed everybody, what do they do?"[2]

The idea was re-written by the show's creator Gene Roddenberry and writer Worley Thorne. It was Roddenberry and Thorne who created the godlike entity and sexed up the Edo.

Roddenbery and Lucas might have more parallels than I thought.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2020, 01:31:53 PM »
Hoping the mod team will do a better job at not making this thread escalate. Take a proactive stance, you cowards. All the best wishes.

This is a warning to stop shit posting or you will get banned. 

Carry on.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2020, 01:32:10 PM »
Hoping the mod team will do a better job at not making this thread escalate.

Take a proactive stance, you cowards.

Way to go  :wow

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 01:35:15 PM »

This is a warning to stop shit posting or you will get banned. 

Carry on.
:dayum

Himu

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
I just watched Justice (TNG) and started reading the production details, man the original version before Roddenbery "sexed it up" sounded so much cooler.

John D. F. Black's original pitch featured a story about capital punishment. His idea was based on a film treatment detailing the colony planet of Llarof where capital punishment is handed down as a sentence for any offense except against those who are immune from the law. In the treatment, a security officer is killed by a local law enforcement officer, who is then killed himself by his partner for unjustly killing the Enterprise crewman. The planet would have had a rebel faction who wanted to overthrow the laws, which Picard refused to back initially whilst citing the Prime Directive. A second draft featured a rebel leader executed for treason.[1] Black explained the premise of a society that developed laws to prevent terrorism and chaos: "Let's say that what we do is kill everybody who is a terrorist or suspected of being a terrorist. Now the people who have killed everybody, what do they do?"[2]

The idea was re-written by the show's creator Gene Roddenberry and writer Worley Thorne. It was Roddenberry and Thorne who created the godlike entity and sexed up the Edo.

Roddenbery and Lucas might have more parallels than I thought.

That sounds fascinating. Roddenberry was too much of a horn dog.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 01:51:04 PM »
Breaking my last post rule here just because I was responding a person via private message and since it relates I might as well post it here.

The board has always been up and down in quality. I'm not trying to pretend like the board was once in a perfect golden state. But ever since GAF went down imo, the board has increasingly slowly gotten worse and worse when it comes to discussion. I have some guesses as to why that is but they are probably honestly just me trying to blame-scape something when its probably many many factors that contribute to such a thing.

All I know is that what ended up happening is that increasingly I only want to post in a few threads where the people in that thread feel like a community. And everybody can respectfully agree/disagree with each other because they've known each other for some time so you know when a person posts whether you necessarily agree or disagree you can respect that person because you know him and you know he is posting from a real individual perspective. Something has happened over time where now it no longer feels like that. It feels like there are teams. It feels like people post because they want their side to score internet points or likes or whatever. And the discussion now involves those teams fighting each other instead of individual people expressing themselves. And because it feels like you can easily stereotype the other side, it not longer seems worthwhile to actually discuss anything. Because everybody is entrenched in their position or you don't feel like arguing against a team. That is what happened in that Star Trek thread as an example over time for whatever reason. There are two teams and they both constantly try to score on each other. And even if you don't necessarily want to fight as a team, you get drawn into it to support a side because one side seems to pile up the likes to score. That kind of division use to exist mainly in political threads but now every thread feels like that for some reason to me. So its just easier to be an asshole because you know you have backup.

So just to be clear. My issue with this thread is not specifically RLM. Although yeah I do think people should resist the temptation to drop videos all the time, especially from one source as if that video has some extra meaning on a message board. You don't do that on a messageboard. At least all the time. You argue your opinion. You discuss things from your perspective. Not the perspective of one source of one video of people on the internet. I don't care whether its a game, or a book, or a movie. I care about what you have to say about it. Not what random internet video has to say about it. Which is not to say a video may not have a good point or two. But chill with it. I go to the movie review thread to see what you people think about movies. Not Ao scott or peter travers or some other critic. If I want their review I can go get their review from the source. 

Now I fully believe that not everybody who hates something is simply apeing their opinion from a video. And I fully understand that people can form their opinion prior and then agree with a video. Cool. Not saying you can't ever post that video. Just maybe recognize that not everybody views that source in that same way you do. I don't want to argue a video like I'm doing homework. I want to discuss things with humans.

The second bit is respect people who disagree with you. Don't talk shit about an opinion likes its fucking math. It's all opinion shit. Respect an opinion. You don't have to be an ass about it. Maybe try to find a little common ground. There are things I like and dislike about everything. But not in this thread it feels like. Everybody is pushed to hate everything or love everything. So some posters end up talking shit 24/7 and its like why are you here if you hate that thing apparently. And I'm sure to others it feels like somebody is praising something 24/7 so it feels like a constant lovefest as if a person can't see the flaws in something.

Some people like Old Trek. Some people like New Trek. Some people like Both. Some people have legit criticisms of both. Cool. Discuss it. Be Respectful.

I say all this realizing I'm as guilty of breaking every single rule I've stated here in the past. So maybe going forward here let's try to actually do that. And I will make a personal legit effort to do the same and drop the snark and attitude so I can legit post in a thread, I use to enjoy.

edit: note this message was written before the thread split or thread closure thing. I was going to post it in whatever was the trek thread(s)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:59:53 PM by Stoney Mason »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
So is this the thread for logging my journey watching the amazing show Deep Space Nine?
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »
This is completely unnecessary.

Mods took a more proactive effort in injecting themselves in the Star Trek thread, and not letting shit die on its own, than they did with actual racists and transphobes in the Outside Forum thread because FreeDUMB of Speech. Now we have only one Star Trek thread when it was originally split for a reason.

I'm taking a break.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:12 PM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

:nope
ど助平

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
meanwhile perfect harmony in the commie cosplay threads :rejoice

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2020, 01:58:53 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »
meanwhile perfect harmony in the commie cosplay threads :rejoice
Outside of the occasional banter a perfect harmony in pretty much every thread tbh  :idont
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »
And now this thread is going to shit.  OK.  Do you guys want me to re-open the old thread?  Do we really NEED to have Star Trek threads on here just because some of you can't get along? 

I'll re-open if you guys can be respectful of one another.
ど助平

Stoney Mason

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 02:01:34 PM »
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Just leave it. New Start is fine. Let's just try to act like reasonable people instead of monsters. Maybe that will work. Maybe it won't. But new thread new me at least.

shosta

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 02:02:13 PM »
Let's just have a rule that if you shit up a thread beyond reason you get banned from that thread for a week. No need for all the ado or ceremony or locks.
每天生气

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 02:02:41 PM »
Let's just have a rule that if you shit up a thread beyond reason you get banned from that thread for a week. No need for all the ado or ceremony or locks.

Sensible

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 02:03:10 PM »
no arbitrary rules please  :hmph

rename this thread to the MOD SUMMIT  :klob
🤴

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »
May I make a suggestion? No more general trek thread, make a thread for each series (group old and new maybe) and everyone can successfully stay out of each others way. No one is going to go into the Picard thread and just start talking mad shit months after they are done with it for example while people who enjoyed it will stick around.

shosta

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 02:03:27 PM »
Let's also make another rule that if you read at least half of Sandman, cats^3 adds you back on Facebook.
每天生气

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 02:03:44 PM »
no arbitrary rules please  :hmph

rename this thread to the MOD SUMMIT  :klob

This is now your warning to stop shit-posting or you will be banned.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
No. It’s a complete series.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 02:05:08 PM »
it really isn't and that's the issue that starts arguements

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2020, 02:06:27 PM »
And now this thread is going to shit.  OK.  Do you guys want me to re-open the old thread?  Do we really NEED to have Star Trek threads on here just because some of you can't get along? 

Imagine my surprise that this episode was kicked off by a poster of a certain nationality not being able to converse nicely with the other boys and girls. Seems like posters of said nationality are at the root of a lot of these problems, maybe something should be done about that :kermit

spoiler (click to show/hide)
although tbh I don't even mind nintex that much anymore, he's basically a gimmick poster at this point
[close]

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2020, 02:06:59 PM »
 :jeanluc

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2020, 02:07:09 PM »
Sandman, hon, not Trek. Phasers to stun

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

Bitch still thinks he’s a ree mod  ::)
Margs

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2020, 02:10:32 PM »
I'm not mad posting, just trying to help, the Star Trek thread is about the only thread I post in consistently and kinda want that to continue

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
bork, just chill and stick to a decision, man. No need to worry too much about what's going on. Thread became a shit show because people got really in their feelings over a new show in a decades long brand but they'd have calmed down eventually. Look at Stoney up there deciding he'll make some effort instead of continuing with random ribbing and snark.

Old thread is closed and here's a new thread. It's done. If peeps get in their feelings again they'll cool down eventually. I agree with tasty that the board did get better than where it was like 3 years ago, plus emotions are running high now with corona which means you can let people vent for a bit.

That's all fine.  A few people were just going too far. 

ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
I know, simple misunderstanding, just bein cute about the phasers lol

shosta

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »
Tail end of DS9 S2 really is good, I'll post a review when I'm totally finished with it!
每天生气

Tasty

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:55 PM »
Breaking my last post rule here just because I was responding a person via private message and since it relates I might as well post it here.

The board has always been up and down in quality. I'm not trying to pretend like the board was once in a perfect golden state. But ever since GAF went down imo, the board has increasingly slowly gotten worse and worse when it comes to discussion. I have some guesses as to why that is but they are probably honestly just me trying to blame-scape something when its probably many many factors that contribute to such a thing.

All I know is that what ended up happening is that increasingly I only want to post in a few threads where the people in that thread feel like a community. And everybody can respectfully agree/disagree with each other because they've known each other for some time so you know when a person posts whether you necessarily agree or disagree you can respect that person because you know him and you know he is posting from a real individual perspective. Something has happened over time where now it no longer feels like that. It feels like there are teams. It feels like people post because they want their side to score internet points or likes or whatever. And the discussion now involves those teams fighting each other instead of individual people expressing themselves. And because it feels like you can easily stereotype the other side, it not longer seems worthwhile to actually discuss anything. Because everybody is entrenched in their position or you don't feel like arguing against a team. That is what happened in that Star Trek thread as an example over time for whatever reason. There are two teams and they both constantly try to score on each other. And even if you don't necessarily want to fight as a team, you get drawn into it to support a side because one side seems to pile up the likes to score. That kind of division use to exist mainly in political threads but now every thread feels like that for some reason to me. So its just easier to be an asshole because you know you have backup.

So just to be clear. My issue with this thread is not specifically RLM. Although yeah I do think people should resist the temptation to drop videos all the time, especially from one source as if that video has some extra meaning on a message board. You don't do that on a messageboard. At least all the time. You argue your opinion. You discuss things from your perspective. Not the perspective of one source of one video of people on the internet. I don't care whether its a game, or a book, or a movie. I care about what you have to say about it. Not what random internet video has to say about it. Which is not to say a video may not have a good point or two. But chill with it. I go to the movie review thread to see what you people think about movies. Not Ao scott or peter travers or some other critic. If I want their review I can go get their review from the source. 

Now I fully believe that not everybody who hates something is simply apeing their opinion from a video. And I fully understand that people can form their opinion prior and then agree with a video. Cool. Not saying you can't ever post that video. Just maybe recognize that not everybody views that source in that same way you do. I don't want to argue a video like I'm doing homework. I want to discuss things with humans.

The second bit is respect people who disagree with you. Don't talk shit about an opinion likes its fucking math. It's all opinion shit. Respect an opinion. You don't have to be an ass about it. Maybe try to find a little common ground. There are things I like and dislike about everything. But not in this thread it feels like. Everybody is pushed to hate everything or love everything. So some posters end up talking shit 24/7 and its like why are you here if you hate that thing apparently. And I'm sure to others it feels like somebody is praising something 24/7 so it feels like a constant lovefest as if a person can't see the flaws in something.

Some people like Old Trek. Some people like New Trek. Some people like Both. Some people have legit criticisms of both. Cool. Discuss it. Be Respectful.

I say all this realizing I'm as guilty of breaking every single rule I've stated here in the past. So maybe going forward here let's try to actually do that. And I will make a personal legit effort to do the same and drop the snark and attitude so I can legit post in a thread, I use to enjoy.

edit: note this message was written before the thread split or thread closure thing. I was going to post it in whatever was the trek thread(s)

This isn't a thread for mea culpas. Should have kept this to PM.

Now Cindi's on break. Great.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:17 PM »
:heart

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:18 PM »

Imagine my surprise that this episode was kicked off by a poster of a certain nationality not being able to converse nicely with the other boys and girls. Seems like posters of said nationality are at the root of a lot of these problems, maybe something should be done about that :kermit

spoiler (click to show/hide)
although tbh I don't even mind nintex that much anymore, he's basically a gimmick poster at this point
[close]

you're not helping, then again you aren't here to help.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:33 PM »
So this is the new Trek thread.  Please keep it on-topic going forward. 

For those who just came in here for the drama and feel the need to respond to this with some snarky comment or shitpost following this one, you will get a ban.

ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2020, 02:12:36 PM »
This post is out of context cuz of too fast posting what is this!

Acquiring Picard

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2020, 02:17:30 PM »
Bork, can you remove the alternate from the thread title maybe add Star Trek : A new hope :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2020, 02:17:43 PM »
I got somebody to watch Galaxy Quest with me last weekend. It was their first time. They were laughing their ass off. I felt so proud.

:obama

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 02:17:59 PM »
So this is the new Trek thread.  Please keep it on-topic going forward. 

For those who just came in here for the drama and feel the need to respond to this with some snarky comment or shitpost following this one, you will get a ban.

(Image removed from quote.)
I've enjoyed every trek movie I've watched  :trumps

good film series  :pimp

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2020, 02:18:06 PM »
Galaxy Quest is dope af.

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
I never watched any of the old ST movies, which ones are good? :idont

2, 3, 4, 6.

Maybe TMP Director's Cut.

2 and 6 are the best by far.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2020, 02:24:34 PM »

2, 3, 4, 6.

Didn't like V? 

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2020, 02:25:25 PM »
which was the one set during modern day with Whales?

IV
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »

2, 3, 4, 6.

Didn't like V? 

Imagine if Disney was just like "Oh yeah, one of those 9 Skywalker Saga movies? Yeah it doesn't exist and it's not canon despite its obligatory inclusion on streaming services and boxsets. Sorry we made something that bad. Yeesh."

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »

This is actually pretty well done. :lawd

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »