Author Topic: Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back  (Read 66118 times)

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
Re: Star Trek Thread part 2: The Kurtzman Strikes Back
« Reply #600 on: July 07, 2022, 06:57:05 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fnished up the Season of SNW and I got to say that I never would have imagined that I would be typing these words but Shart Trek has surpassed The Orville at least tentatively it might change when The Orville finishes up but here we are. :mindblown
[close]

This season of the Orville has been pretty underwhelming so far, my nitpicks:

1. The humor being gone I regret ever saying it shouldn't be there in the first place.

2. The lighting being darker it isn't as egregious as in Shart Trek but it still annoys me, this is probably because they use different cameras.

2a. To expand on the lighting this is more of a art direction thing the third series has a way more generic inside the ship it went all brushed metal with the light blue lighting instead of the comfy 80's office design language that was very TNG era ripoffy so maybe this was changed because of a copyright issue.

3. The CG looks worse, what the fuck was up with that episode with the Talla fighting the alien CG creatures talk about amateur hour.

4. I don't like the shuttle redesign or their fighter jet thing design wise this could be down to copyright shenanigan's for all i know.

5. Charly sucks.

6. New OP sucks, nah the soundtrack in general compared to previous seasons.

Things I do like:

1. Bortus's make up was improved, the last episode it looked odd the one about time travel.

2. Repercussions from previous seasons have been addressed or made worse.

3 I like the homage to Galaxy Quest since they have a beryllium sphere on their engineering deck.  :lol

[close]

Can only hope this is a direction shows take from now on not just trek but all shows and or media and feck off with injecting current year politics into shit. :rejoice
[close]

SNW EP1 was absolute current year politics gobshite, but fucked off with that shit after that episode.
[close]

The Orville was probably hampered by the Coof which caused 4 eps to be canned and maybe that's why it's a mess but only time will tell when the season actually ends.
[close]

« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 04:25:49 AM by D3RANG3D »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #601 on: July 08, 2022, 09:12:50 AM »
I havent enjoyed the orville this season at all.. i dunno why because I was hyped for it but its just not that fun to watch.
What

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #602 on: July 09, 2022, 07:51:06 AM »
This week's Orville was pretty good, I liked seeing

the return of Laura, as I still think the first episode with that character is probably the strongest in the whole series.
[close]

The ending was really abrupt and resolved things too neatly, without really dealing with the consequences of what they'd done, but the show has been pretty good about coming back to unresolved plot points like this (Topa, Teleya) so I expect we'll see more of this storyline if we miraculously get a 4th season.

The stuff with Isaac and Charly was fun too, the show's humor is kinda hit-and-miss for me but I thought this was right in the sweet spot of where it works.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2022, 08:35:57 PM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #604 on: July 12, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
Linking to purple site because there was some discussion of Patrick Stewart being very much at the front seat of steering the TNG movies and Picard (which makes a lot of sense that he has so much leverage) :

https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-244#post-84198724

https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/page-245#post-84809068

Which you don't have to read in the most uncharitable way but certainly Stewart himself coopted a tone change.

Certainly failure are as much a team effort than success though it's always fun pointing fingers at the usual suspects.
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #605 on: July 13, 2022, 02:46:53 AM »
The TNG movies took the tone from an ensemble cast and made things nearly entirely about Picard or Data.

ST: Picard let’s you know from the title where the focus will be, sadly.

“Absolute fucking hubris!”

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #606 on: July 13, 2022, 09:08:28 AM »
Doesn't explain why Discovery was fucking awful though, unless we think clem fandango has real hollywood juice

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #607 on: July 14, 2022, 01:26:22 PM »
I gotta say I was apprehensive of Strange New Worlds, but on Episode 10 now and I have to say its really good, I would say its a perfect mix of classic Trek and some stuff.
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #608 on: July 14, 2022, 03:25:24 PM »
Stewart had leverage with the films because he was becoming a big enough star that he could just give up the role and still find himself stuff like X-Men. He's since admitted that he probably pushed too hard for Picard to get the "best stuff" in the movies, in particular Insurrection should have been more balanced. But I imagine that they had to give him nearly everything he wanted to get him back now. Even Jeri Ryan probably wouldn't have as much pull for Seven.

Data became the B-plot in Nemesis because Spiner was aging out of the role and wanted to be killed off which is leverage no one else on the cast had. It was less natural than fitting his role into First Contact was. Also because the director knew nothing about Trek he thought all the stuff about Data was super fascinating even though it was mostly just retreading ground TNG had done countless times before. They probably should have let Frakes direct again instead of blaming him for Insurrection. It also would have been far smarter if they had pushed all that to irrelevance in the movie until the end where Data realizes he can sacrifice himself and come back in B4 for a potential sequel rather than it being some stupid masterplot of Shinzon's that ultimately goes nowhere anyway.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 03:29:33 PM by benjipwns »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #610 on: July 18, 2022, 07:22:25 AM »

[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: July 18, 2022, 09:52:45 AM »
I cant watch anymore Picard. Not even funny joking memes
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #612 on: July 18, 2022, 10:35:18 PM »
Yeah, I'm sad about it, but I noped out partway through s2e2. Just… no.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #614 on: July 25, 2022, 06:59:13 PM »
Patrick Stewart Money
You know who it is
ὕβρις

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #618 on: August 17, 2022, 02:21:13 PM »
In USA at the moment, finally able to watch Strange New Worlds. First episode was really good.

benjipwns

benjipwns

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #621 on: September 07, 2022, 02:26:03 PM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: September 17, 2022, 03:18:43 AM »

"Admiral Leeta" ???????
What

benjipwns

« Reply #624 on: September 17, 2022, 04:25:51 AM »
Mirror Leeta, she was part of the rebellion against the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the Mirror Universe. In the game they made her a captain of some rebellion ship after the prior ones get killed, I presume she has since been promoted.

Star Trek Online takes place after Voyager and I think some of the Relaunch books, it has its own separate continuity from that point. The storyline setting is pretty far in the future now, I haven't played any of it in many years so I don't know the specifics. Jeff Gerstmann has definitely gotten a lot of content from them for his lifetime subscription though!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 04:30:46 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #625 on: September 18, 2022, 02:31:15 PM »
Got an ad earlier that they made a Star Trek Lower Decks themed idle/clicker game. Will check it out and report back as is my duty.

Occam

« Reply #626 on: September 19, 2022, 12:03:34 PM »
Until Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks was the only good new Star Trek, because it is made by people who have actually watched and understood TNG/DS9/VOY. Wish those same writers were allowed to create a serious new Star Trek series that takes place after Voyager.

Tasty

« Reply #627 on: September 19, 2022, 10:35:46 PM »
Popped on a random TNG episode on Pluto TV. I've only watched like 5 mins and I haven't seen this one before, apparently there's some kinda Theon Greyjoy situation where some guy took some Earthling's son as a custom of war and raised him as his own. The family on earth wants the son back, but the kid actually loves his kidnapper-dad and I can already tell it's a huge moral quandry for Picard.

Fuck fuck fuck, whenever I decide to put TNG on it's never the wrong decision. They were on something else with this show. Acting and writing at full strength.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Tasty

« Reply #629 on: September 28, 2022, 02:58:05 PM »
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/star-trek-sequel-removed-paramount-film-slate-1235386228/

Gee, who could have seen this coming? :derp

Then this February, Abrams announced during the Paramount Global investors day presentation that a new “Trek” movie “will be shooting by the end of the year” and would feature “our original cast.”

The only problem, according to insiders, was that Pine, Quinto and the rest of the cast had not yet officially signed up for the movie when Abrams made his announcement, leaving Paramount with less than a year to secure the in-demand actors.

:derp

The rather inevitable news comes roughly one month after director Matt Shakman exited the “Star Trek” film.

:derp :derp

benjipwns

« Reply #630 on: September 29, 2022, 06:13:20 PM »
Got an ad earlier that they made a Star Trek Lower Decks themed idle/clicker game. Will check it out and report back as is my duty.
So this is made by the same devs who do the Always Sunny and The Office idle games (among others) and the core is pretty much the same game just with everything swapped out for Star Trek. They lean into the licenses well on these, as you complete tasks you get little comic book cutscenes taken from the actual episodes, in this game they use the Holodeck to setup the possibility of bringing in all kinds of Trek stuff instead of just being limited to what appeared in the episodes. Of course, that could alter the quality of the cutscenes as they'll have to write them instead of just adapt the show. On other games they have made plenty of assets, like in the Always Sunny game they have tons of variations of the gang based on all the various episodes. It's a idle game so there's not much to talk about with the gameplay lol. There's monetization which I still find amazing because I choose to believe nobody actually purchases anything for these, there's also your typical ad boosts for like four hours of double output, etc. but it's not too annoying and only nags once unlike some games. If you want an idle game to futz around with once a day or whatever and want to go "heh Star Trek" this probably will work.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #631 on: October 07, 2022, 12:18:50 PM »

?
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #632 on: October 07, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
Missed opportunity to use Jerry Goldsmith’s banger Klingon Attack musical theme.  Maybe they can add “today IS a good day to die!” emote.

Wait, did I just see some Trill skins?!?  Awesome, though getting something more wild lie Jem’hadar would be nice too.

Tasty

« Reply #633 on: October 10, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »

"Revenge + Star Trek = a fresh idea"
-Some fucking executive somewhere

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #634 on: October 10, 2022, 07:34:28 PM »

Zorg cameo in the ST universe.  :doge

« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 08:03:37 PM by D3RANG3D »

Tasty

« Reply #635 on: October 10, 2022, 07:40:59 PM »
Revenge is a more recurrent theme in modern Trek than any of Roddenberry's ideas, ugh.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #636 on: October 10, 2022, 08:51:01 PM »
  • since "today is a good day to die" is so iconic, worf will die; he's a pacifist now because he has some incurable klingon disease, and his options were to frantically seek death to die in glorious battle, or seek inner peace and enjoy the time he has left, beaming with pride at alexander's accomplishments (elevating him in memory of his first actor who died)
  • worf was always beaten easily so the writers could show that a threat was actually a threat, and they'll subvert this meme by making him abandon pacifism for a moment to demonstrate he kicks all kinds of ass
  • we will see worf succumbing to his illness on his deathbed saying something like "I always imagined dying after a long, fierce battle" and someone will say "you have, worf...you have"
  • geordi runs an old fashioned bookstore on earth and we are introduced to him giving a child a book and saying "...but you don't have to take my word for it"
  • moriarty and lore are both involved because moriarty was "a program that can defeat data" which means either he's summoned to beat lore, or lore is summoned to beat him (the only thing he still desires, beating the equivalent of data)
  • if someone didn't already say "shut up wesley" last season, they will in this one
  • beverly crusher will be saved or something and picard will have a nice candlelit dinner ready for her and she'll snuff it out and say "I don't like candles" while t-posing directly into the camera
  • I'm not going to watch this and it's likely redlettermedia won't either so I'll probably never know if I was right
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #637 on: October 10, 2022, 09:06:19 PM »
Kinda funny that they're like "so anyway forget that whole cast, here's all of TNG plus Seven" and probably all the rest of the galaxy stuff too?

Tasty

« Reply #638 on: October 10, 2022, 09:29:05 PM »
Kinda funny that they're like "so anyway forget that whole cast, here's all of TNG plus Seven" and probably all the rest of the galaxy stuff too?

Why not? They chucked Soji and the DataXPicard love angle into the trash with the transition to S2. The desperation is palpably pathetic.

Tasty

« Reply #639 on: October 10, 2022, 09:30:30 PM »
  • since "today is a good day to die" is so iconic, worf will die; he's a pacifist now because he has some incurable klingon disease, and his options were to frantically seek death to die in glorious battle, or seek inner peace and enjoy the time he has left, beaming with pride at alexander's accomplishments (elevating him in memory of his first actor who died)
  • worf was always beaten easily so the writers could show that a threat was actually a threat, and they'll subvert this meme by making him abandon pacifism for a moment to demonstrate he kicks all kinds of ass
  • we will see worf succumbing to his illness on his deathbed saying something like "I always imagined dying after a long, fierce battle" and someone will say "you have, worf...you have"
  • geordi runs an old fashioned bookstore on earth and we are introduced to him giving a child a book and saying "...but you don't have to take my word for it"
  • moriarty and lore are both involved because moriarty was "a program that can defeat data" which means either he's summoned to beat lore, or lore is summoned to beat him (the only thing he still desires, beating the equivalent of data)
  • if someone didn't already say "shut up wesley" last season, they will in this one
  • beverly crusher will be saved or something and picard will have a nice candlelit dinner ready for her and she'll snuff it out and say "I don't like candles" while t-posing directly into the camera
  • I'm not going to watch this and it's likely redlettermedia won't either so I'll probably never know if I was right

This sounds way better than where I'm expecting things to go. :lol You think these writers know canon?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #640 on: October 11, 2022, 04:48:00 AM »

"Revenge + Star Trek = a fresh idea"
-Some fucking executive somewhere

:trash :snoop
What

benjipwns

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #642 on: October 18, 2022, 06:19:07 PM »
What

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #643 on: October 19, 2022, 12:58:42 PM »
When did Tim Curry get so swole and why is he in a star trek uniform :confused

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #644 on: December 20, 2022, 04:30:35 PM »
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #645 on: December 21, 2022, 03:28:12 AM »
Amazon Japan had Discovery for free. Now it’s a rental. I can pay for it.

I can also pay a prostitute to crush my nuts, but I’m not doing that, either.

benjipwns

« Reply #646 on: December 21, 2022, 08:40:47 PM »
youtube.com/watch?v=0tfKlgWsqSs
From same account:

benjipwns

« Reply #647 on: January 04, 2023, 12:47:48 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #648 on: January 04, 2023, 09:17:57 PM »
oBrien does loves his rapids
What

Tasty

« Reply #649 on: January 09, 2023, 07:38:41 PM »
https://gizmodo.com/patrick-stewart-star-trek-picard-season-3-finale-or-not-1849967542

Get ready for PICARD: THE MOVIE.

Even though they did that four times already...

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: January 10, 2023, 06:43:10 AM »
Why do they keep bringing back Raffi the most useless fucking shit character ever
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #651 on: February 06, 2023, 12:10:49 PM »

:larry

tl;dr supposedly S3 is good.  :doge
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 10:02:23 AM by D3RANG3D »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #652 on: February 08, 2023, 01:05:06 AM »
Like "good" as in enjoyable, or as in "not bad"?

I barely made it through s1, and did not make it past s2's opening episode.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #653 on: February 08, 2023, 07:20:33 AM »
Supposedly back to form as in like "real Trek",  according to two youtubers that hate modern Trek (Robert Meyer Burnett and Dave Cullen), haven't seen it personally though wish I could've gotten access to those 6 episodes they give reviewers but hey it starts airing next Thursday.

I hated Picard Season 1 and dropped Season 2 like an episode into it, the dunces that ran the show left to work on projects they actually wanted to work on so they hired Terry Matalas who worked on DS9, and gave him full control of this shit bird so there is some hope, I mean how let down were people when they hired that Shabon clown and he just game us the same shit as before.

Robert Meyer Burnett hated Strange New Worlds BTW which I liked, so he's way more jaded than I am...
[close]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 06:22:06 PM by D3RANG3D »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #654 on: February 16, 2023, 12:42:48 PM »
So Picard S3 is out

Well one episode. Just skipped through it, Raffi is still a prominent figure  :-X :-X :-X

Shit looks so dark and gloomy, and ofcourse there is a BIG EVIL SHIP at the end of the episode

:trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash :trash
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #655 on: February 16, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »
Watched the first episode of Picard as well wasn't impressed either...wished they would just dump the whole thing.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: February 16, 2023, 12:58:13 PM »
Honestly I dont think im gonna bother watching it. Previous seasons were absolute trash. Yeey we got some old actors isnt gonna bring me back if their just keep shitting in the spirit of Trek.
What

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #657 on: February 17, 2023, 08:00:27 PM »

« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:08:10 PM by D3RANG3D »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: February 18, 2023, 07:42:09 AM »

REVIEW STRANGE NEW WORLDS YOU CUCKS

:rage :rage :rage :rage