Author Topic: NieR Thread - New Mobile Game, Platinum Remake/Sequel(?) of Replicant, and moar  (Read 6417 times)

213372bu

https://www.jp.square-enix.com/nierreincarnation/
Mobile game: - Kaine and Emil (?) in keyart, could be mini-stories based on Nier characters.

-Remake with help from Platinum games
-New music
-"Version up"-- More story?

https://twitter.com/ResetEraNT/status/1244207770963972096
Nier:Automata + DLC comes to gamepass

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1241727867727331329
Nier Orchestral arrangement still coming

+ New version of the stageplay, along with an entirely new orchestra set, premiered today online

Himu

Here's hoping the gameplay of the original still isn't dog shit. Fascinating story but playing it is like taking a sleeping pill. Part of the reason I was excited platinum was developing the sequel was because the gameplay wouldn't be utter drek. Still haven't played Automata.
IYKYK

bluemax

If they can get Platinum to fix the camera issues and the controls for the boar then that would be a major boon to replaying this.
NO

paprikastaude

Nier 1 was more fun than Automata :trumps Worst part of 1 was sidequests and they are still shit in the second game. Combat was way better in Nier, but that's all it had going for it alongside the tiresome schmup sections. Nier 1 was like a Zelda clone, I loved the variety and I never thought any gameplay style was done badly. Just change the fishing tutorial.  :doge

But then again, the strongest parts of Nier 1 were the characters and they seem to fuck that up now by defaulting it to the animu boy version over dad Nier. :picard Some think they'll also have new voice actors for the old characters - what a nightmare.

Himu

I haven't played Automata so I have no idea what's better or worse
IYKYK

thetylerrob

The gameplay certainly wasn't "dogshit." It was fun for a while but nothing spectacular.

The story in this one is so much more interesting though, with much better characters. Hopefully, they can keep some of the excellent voice work from the original dub, although I'm not sure how different the script/tone will be if this time since it's the Replicant version.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
the gameplay of 1 was like 2, except if it was made by people who didn't have the talent or ability to see it through. everything was clunky as hell. the story too had lots of interesting moments but never fully felt like it came together like 2 did for me. i still enjoy the game and am super excited for this rerelease, don't get me wrong, but 2 felt way more complete to me.
pcp

Rahxephon91

Both Niers are some of the most overrated games I’ve ever played. As an actual fan of Cavia/Drakengard and Platinum, both Niers are pretty weak games from each party. I will never understand this love of them.

Beezy

Do you plan on joining every Nier discussion that comes up just to remind us that you didn't like them?

Rahxephon91

bluemax

The combat in 2 is way more polished and satisfying at a base level. I can see preferring the word system to the chip system, but part of the reason Automata got more praise is that the gameplay wasn't so frustrating as to turn people off from the story.

The sidequests in both games are pretty arduous but the writing is again what makes them worth doing.

Why does every thread gotta turn into a fight?
NO

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
sorry, didn't mean to come off so harsh in my post. i still like 1 and think it's a very interesting and creative game. it's just a little rough too.
pcp

Himu

Nier along with TWEWY is the last creative jrpg I played. So I give it that and I'm looking forward to replaying it.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

I’m also not mad when people prefer 2 over 1. I just enjoyed  the original more and I’m glad more people are going to be able to play it.

I always thought the side quests in these games were purposely tedious to poke fun at jrpg side quest design so I never had an issue with those.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
People that prefer the original to Automata are the sort of people that claim to prefer a handie to a beej. Can't trust em.
yar

Rahxephon91

Automata at least plays like a b level Platinum game, unlike the 1st one which plays like a bad indie action game made by 1 person. It also dosen't have the awkward  playing genre shifts that people like to treat as the first game being creative, but are actually just shitty. Instead I guess the trade off is just shitty shump sections you can power through and not worry about. Though, it also has an awful open world that is tedious more then anything. It has an awkwardly structured story because Yoko Taro is a hack and keeps doing the "ending ABCD" shit which unlike Drakengard or Nier 1, makes really no sense and is pointless in Automata. So both games are pretty bad.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
God rahx you are like the worst, please stop posting about games
yar

Rahxephon91

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:09:21 PM by Rahxephon91 »

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
It has an awkwardly structured story because Yoko Taro is a hack and keeps doing the "ending ABCD" shit which unlike Drakengard or Nier 1, makes really no sense and is pointless in Automata. So both games are pretty bad.
Playing the game again from a completely different character's perspective, which rapidly goes off the rails in the second half into something cmopletely different, then extends in part C is pointless. sure jan

Rahxephon91

No what I said is the “ending” structure is pointless. The game does not end with ending A. You do not have anything close to the story and there would be no reason you’d stop at ending A. You will obviously continue to play the game because the story keeps on going.

That’s not like Nier or Drakengard where each ending is an ending to that story and when you play it again your are getting slightly different stories and different endings that expand on your understanding of the story. But if you were to stop Drakengard 1 or Nier at ending A you’d still have a kind of complete story. Both of those games use the ending structure to play on your thoughts and expectations of the story.

Automata does not. You stop at ending B, you are cutting the story in half. The endings aren’t endings of the story. They almost feel like “now it’s time to switch character” moments. So why not just have an easier to digest chapter structure instead of a pointless structure that just serves to confuse. Oh because Nier Automata loves to be nothing but confusing. Oh let’s have big chunks of the story in a Play!

Also playing as 9S is fucking garbage. Oh but people like nifty genre shifts! No I like playing fun action games.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 06:51:02 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

Ending A literally ends with the huge implication of this being a cycle, among leaving millions of questions unanswered. It intently withholds 2B’s character, but unsubtly lets you know “keep playing there’s more to your lame waifu”.  There is nothing satisfying about the ending and it's pretty clear you are supposed to continue. Sure, it's like a typical story...if a typical story did'nt want to explain anything at all.

And you may think it's whack as hell, but I dont. It was extremely pointless in Nier A and serve no reason for being there other then "I guess the two other games I made have it and people like it". But there was nothing clever about it this time and the story would have been better serve being told in a far more direct and linear way. Instead of me losing complete interests because hours later you are retreading on connections from a previous chunk of the game that I've moved on from and am now playing though on a character that is garbage and makes me want to break the disc. Oh but hacking.

You make think it's fine, but I don't. Instead of having stand a lone chapters meant to be built around comparing and constractsing the revelations or stories that the previous chapter you played, you get story routes like B where you spend time playing as 2B doing pointless stuff just to get to the actual meat of whats going on. Compared to a well paced multi perspective story that could keep the momentem of whats going on. You get a game that waste plenty of time, because it thinks it's clever.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:56:19 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Rahxephon91

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
The first game's combat was farrr from the worst action RPG combat I've ever seen (though of course it's vastly better in 2 thanks to PG). Biggest complaint about the combat was how you'd get hit, get sent flying across the screen, and it would take forever to get back up.

The original Nier really impressed me, first time I saw it I thought it looked like some terrible game made to appeal to "what westerners like" (as was the case of a lot of Japanese games that gen). When people started praising the music, I decided to give it a shot and so glad I did... what an amazing soundtrack and interesting story, I also liked the genre transitions a whole lot (and thought they were a lot more varied than the Automata ones). Though yeah the sidequests were dull as shit and there was some clunkiness inherent in the combat.
^_^

bluemax

NO

Freyj

Sure Automata’s combat is better but it’s still boring and a little shit anyway so who cares.

Nier Gestalt’s story on the other hand outshines Automata enormously. So much so that I kinda don’t care much for Automata. Replicant is a worse version however and the game is clearly meant to be played from the perspective of the father.

Rahxephon91

I wanted to replay both Nier games because I felt like I missed something since I feel I probably should like these games.  I liked Drakengard before it was cool, I liked Cavia games in general, I like Platinum games, I like Japanese games, I like the character designers for both games. It seems like things I should like. I was even pretty hyped before Automata came out. But Nier fans are as obnoxious as Nintendo fans and call you an idiot if you dare not like thier stuff. So that turns me off from replaying the games.

nachobro

• Live Más
i never finished the first nier cause my 360 died with the game in it :-\

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Nier Automata might be my favorite game period. I played the Papa Nier version, and I really liked it, but I have to admit I was not impressed in the way you had to get the "real" ending.
Get all the weapons? that's some tedious bullshit. I hope, but don't expect, that they fix this to be more like Automata where you were seeing new things each time. Cause playing the same game again with little variation just to get all the weapons? That's not fun.
que

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
the final ending doesn't even make any sense with the dad version
pcp

Cheddahz

I'm in the "I think the original Nier is better than Automata" boat, but it sucks to see it looks like they took out Papa Nier (and the redesign of the brother isn't good)

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
A simple running trailer for the mobile game has appeared

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
it's still a gatcha game so I'm not getting my hopes up for an immersive experience or anything
pcp

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
it's still a gatcha game so I'm not getting my hopes up for an immersive experience or anything

Is that so? I've been in the dark for the details surrounding the N1 remaster and this mobile game outside of the official trailers. So the mobile game is some kind of endless experience as opposed to a game with a start and conclusion?

Beezy

I'm looking forward to playing this again, but I should finally play Automata first.

paprikastaude

did they change the music? :jeanluc

Beezy

I think the voice acting and music has been redone. Still sounds great to me. :idont

Beezy

Replicant remake is out. Anyone got it yet?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Got it today but don't have time to play  :doge
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
Got it from gmg for 50. Probably start playing it later tonight. I only played automata so excited to play this. The pc port is apparently garbage again though  :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Got it from gmg for 50. Probably start playing it later tonight. I only played automata so excited to play this. The pc port is apparently garbage again though  :(
I was afraid the PC version would be undercooked again so I got it for Xbox One X instead.
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
There apparently a tool that fixes most of the problems: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1113560/discussions/0/3132792921898133884/

Otherwise the main issue seems to be that the logic is tied to the frame rate so it just speeds up after 60fps.

On consoles it only runs at 1080p (even on next gen console) so the experience will be better on pc, it’s just not plug-in and play.

Rahxephon91

Guess I’ll give this another try.

Bebpo

Picked this up on PS5 after reading about the PC port performance, plus I'm on a 1080p tv.
Game isn't booting even though it says it installed enough of it to start playing  :-\

I fucking hate hate SE gives Nier stuff $0 budget

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

Oh fuck, that's what I get for trusting a review that said it was fine.   :-\
ど助平

Bebpo

Played some of the PS4/PS5 version and checked some PC benchmarks.

Game looks pretty bad, almost like memories of how it looked on PS3 but now with a better framerate. The initial reveal trailers were pretty deceptive about the graphical rehaul the game was getting. Now I get why they're calling this a remaster and not a remake. Was expecting something closer to SoTC visually in the upgrade.

Still nice to have Nier on modern consoles/PC with 60fps since it's a classic game. And the combat is supposed to be better and there's like one new sidequest and JP VA. But also losing papa nier in the dub sucks since his VA was great and the new brother VA isn't.

Beezy

Good to know about the PC version. Xbox it is for me. I still haven't even played Automata even though I bought it at launch, but I think I'll start this soon. :doge

Bebpo

I just pulled up some PS3 Nier vids of the starting areas for comparison.

Basically looks like they upgraded all the textures, fixed the aliasing, and boosted the fps to 60fps. Doesn't look like they touched the geometry much at all so everything looks as empty/plain low-poly as before which is the main thing keeping it from looking like a full on remake.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I just pulled up some PS3 Nier vids of the starting areas for comparison.

Basically looks like they upgraded all the textures, fixed the aliasing, and boosted the fps to 60fps. Doesn't look like they touched the geometry much at all so everything looks as empty/plain low-poly as before which is the main thing keeping it from looking like a full on remake.
Hmm reminds me a bit of the Xenoblade remake, geometry was kept mostly the same with character models and lighting changed and 3D models replacing 2D sprites.
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Combat feels way, way better at 60 FPS and it feels really different as a whole. Feels a lot more impactful and smoother, animations are vastly improved too. Very much a marriage of Replicant and Automata. Playing on a 1080P monitor, the game actually looks pretty good, but I imagine it'll look soft on 4K displays.

Soundtrack changes are interesting and not really bothersome, still beautiful, melancholic and haunting. Brother Nier feels more wholesome or innocent than Papa Nier regarding context and voice acting. The voice acting is excellent too.

Enjoying this a lot. It very much feels like the best way to remaster Nier. Papa Nier is dear to me too, but it's cool to see what other people in Japan played and saw back then.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Opened the box, the reversable boxart is pretty nice.
Also got 1 flimsy tarrot card.

Which is well, the most useless pre-order bonus ever  :doge
🤴

Beezy

I was going digital for this one, but maybe this should be my final Xbone physical purchase...

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Seeing people saying PC is fine if you limit the FPS to 60. 
ど助平

mormapope

There are definitely differences with dialog and I believe Brother Nier was completely re-recorded. All the NPCs have voiced dialog now. Brother Nier comes across as very sweet, young, innocent. Which, for the story this tells, is pretty baller.

It's pretty surprising this was greenlit. Yoko Taro has a very grounded and cynical approach to how well this will do

https://www.pcgamer.com/yoko-taro-doubts-nier-replicant-will-sell-very-well-because-automata-was-a-fluke/

One person who doesn't share that level of enthusiasm for the game is Yoko Taro, the creative director of the Nier games. In a message posted on the Square Enix website, he reminded everyone that Nier Replicant is just a "version upgrade" of the 2010 PS3 original, and predicted that it's not going to sell very well because none of his games ever do.

"In recent years, when I have been around Square Enix, they always give off this palpable aura of enthusiasm as if to say 'Look! Nier: Automata (the previous thing I made) did well, so Nier Replicant will also sell now'," he said. "I would like to take this opportunity to tell Square Enix to take a good hard look at reality. Only the names are similar and the content of the two games is completely different, so it’s not really going to sell all that well now, is it lads?"

"I mean, come on, I made it! Automata selling was a fluke, and all my other stuff has hardly sold anything worthy of note. If you really do go ahead and manufacture all these discs and then store them in a big pile in a warehouse somewhere, the only thing we can do with that will be to have a good game of frisbee. Although, I mean… that does sound like fun and all…"

:bow2 :tocry
OH!

Tasty

"I would like to take this opportunity to tell Square Enix to take a good hard look at reality. Only the names are similar and the content of the two games is completely different, so it’s not really going to sell all that well now, is it lads?"

Damn look at this mofo

Rahxephon91

Yoko Taro's shtick is pretty annoying. I don't find this whole wacky "I don't care" as genuine or even cool.  I don't think I've ever liked this dude since he became a "genius creator".

mormapope

Yoko Taro's shtick is pretty annoying. I don't find this whole wacky "I don't care" as genuine or even cool.  I don't think I've ever liked this dude since he became a "genius creator".

Sounds like a presumptuous and not at all accurate judge of character on your behalf. If he didn't care (don't even know what that means in this context), he wouldn't be making games any more. He seems like a neurotic person with a goofy sense of humor. He does not consider himself to be an autuer or genius.

What is his shtick, exactly? Having a personality?

OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Plus he's probably right  :doge
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Sounds like a presumptuous and not at all accurate judge of character on your behalf. If he didn't care (don't even know what that means in this context), he wouldn't be making games any more. He seems like a neurotic person with a goofy sense of humor. He does not consider himself to be an autuer or genius.

What is his shtick, exactly? Having a personality?
I guess someone can interpret his meta humor and "trolling" (like erasing saves etc) like not taking the medium seriously.
I only played Automata, but personally didn't get that impression, he seems to enjoy playing around with the potential of the medium, if anything.

Generally speaking i still am not a fan of meta commentary or humor, i usually find it cheap, but in Nier A it was pretty cool for the most part.
Only one that does similar things is probably Kojima, which everybody loves also.

Still don't think the Automata's a masterpiece, but i think it deserves most of the praise.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
i thought automata was a cool enough game, but I admittedly couldn't be bothered to do the second run and evidently missed out on the hot stuff :trumps
(ice)