Author Topic: Is the world burning?  (Read 255986 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: Is the world burning?
« Reply #1320 on: June 01, 2020, 09:35:02 PM »
If things like passing sensitivity training and non-lethal takedown procedures are as mandatory as fitness checks or firearms training, the kind of person that is in it mostly to exert power over others is going to quit or be flunked out.

Nobody actually gets weeded out of a job by flunking HR training courses unless they're functionally illiterate.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1321 on: June 01, 2020, 09:39:29 PM »
anybody else seeing atra post some absolutely crazytown shit on facebook
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1322 on: June 01, 2020, 09:41:27 PM »
People still use facebook? It's 2020 and your facebook profile is probably 3 degrees from the Antifa leaders dude.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1323 on: June 01, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »
If things like passing sensitivity training and non-lethal takedown procedures are as mandatory as fitness checks or firearms training, the kind of person that is in it mostly to exert power over others is going to quit or be flunked out.

Nobody actually gets weeded out of a job by flunking HR training courses unless they're functionally illiterate.

yeah seriously, you watch the sexual harassment training video and joke with your buddy the entire time how fucking hot the lawyer is :drool and then you lie on the test to pass it
Uncle

shosta

每天生气

shosta

« Reply #1325 on: June 01, 2020, 09:51:27 PM »

shit's crazy
每天生气

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1326 on: June 01, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »
Just like the photo op at the church that he didn't ask or notify anyone associated with the church that he was going to do.

the end of his speech was goofball as shit

"now I'm going to go pay my respects to a very very special place"

sounded like he might be talking about the site of the murder!
 :titus
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1327 on: June 01, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »
"Just drop the second amendment! It'll lower the guns to defend yourself with over the pigs that use them on you for thinking YOU HAVE A FUCKING GUN despite not conceal carrying or having a history of owning one! (Oh, or just being black and them being white and looking to murder someone!)"

:confused

I don't know how you read that from what I said.

Yeah, you guys should abso-fucking-lutely not interpret the second amendment to mean everyone should have a right to own guns, but what I was saying was predicated on Americas absolute reluctance to concede that, not assuming that would ever happen.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1328 on: June 01, 2020, 09:58:21 PM »
realistically what happens to military personnel if they refuse to shoot civilians

court-martialed?

if it came to that I don't foresee any of them refusing since obeying orders and chain of command is so drilled in
Uncle

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1329 on: June 01, 2020, 09:59:43 PM »
I don't have the polling handy but the armed forces are a lot less right-leaning than police in this country.

shosta

« Reply #1330 on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »
Watching this particular livestream just reminds me of jake's post earlier. These kids are barely even protesting, they're just wandering around breaking curfew waiting to get their faces bashed in by the cops while a military helicopter flies overhead tracking where the crowd is. This is the hard limit to this strategy.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #1331 on: June 01, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
the left is pushing abolition, not reform

:brain

shosta

« Reply #1332 on: June 01, 2020, 10:05:59 PM »
One of those helicopters is going to fly low enough and clip a building and crash into a group of people

EDIT: at the moment the copter is below building roofs, slowly lowering in an intersection
It's just a distraction so they can surround them.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #1333 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:14 PM »
If you can designate Antifa a terrorist organization you can designate the NYPD as one.  Hope you guys get a lefty president that can abuse terror laws someday.

Hold on, you are not from the US?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1334 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:16 PM »
realistically what happens to military personnel if they refuse to shoot civilians

court-martialed?

if it came to that I don't foresee any of them refusing since obeying orders and chain of command is so drilled in

An actual military coup has to be at least a possibility if people higher up the chain of command are prepared to deny the legitimacy of their orders

bluemax

« Reply #1335 on: June 01, 2020, 10:07:26 PM »
But in seriousness, I have not seen a single actionable plan about how to achieve police reform, except for maybe reinstating Obama's demilitarization stuff.  It's crazy how everyone in the media can simultaneously agree that racism is bad and structural but don't engage with the question of how to change that.   And in an election year, you think that would be the first thing that happens.  Shame the Dem primaries finished when they did.

The only thing that can fix it is pouring an absolute fucking ton of money into policing; training, graduate career programs, higher wages, more ancillary staff, structural changes. If you don't want to attract the kind of people that get off on exerting authority over people, you have to make it an attractive career for normal people.

But how is anyone going to put that into a manifesto without it looking like rewarding them for their bad behaviour?
Or justify pouring money into the police over things like urban regeneration, education or healthcare?

Defund the police.
NO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1336 on: June 01, 2020, 10:08:39 PM »
If you can designate Antifa a terrorist organization you can designate the NYPD as one.  Hope you guys get a lefty president that can abuse terror laws someday.

Hold on, you are not from the US?

canadian

shosta

« Reply #1337 on: June 01, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
actually I think he's Candian
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1338 on: June 01, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
But my online self identifies American, when convenient. 

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1340 on: June 01, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »
I've been watching CNN for the first time in years - or any American news network.  I think I'm starting to understand why America is so fucked up.  You guys need more BBC in your lives.   

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1341 on: June 01, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »
You guys need more BBC in your lives.

okay but where should we get our news?

Boredfrom

« Reply #1342 on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:20 PM »

Uh...

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1343 on: June 01, 2020, 10:13:53 PM »

CBC

Boredfrom

« Reply #1344 on: June 01, 2020, 10:14:21 PM »
I've been watching CNN for the first time in years - or any American news network.  I think I'm starting to understand why America is so fucked up.  You guys need more BBC in your lives.

Eh... didn’t BBC had some big controversies this past decade?

kingv

« Reply #1345 on: June 01, 2020, 10:14:54 PM »
I don't have the polling handy but the armed forces are a lot less right-leaning than police in this country.

Fighting in an endless war that’s been going on since before you were old enough to remember will do that.

shosta

« Reply #1346 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:22 PM »
Fighting in an endless war that’s been going on since before you were old enough to remember will do that.
This helps but I think it has more to do with the fact that it's just harder to get into the police than the military, and the military has better benefits.
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #1347 on: June 01, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »

Uh...

He means using websites and VPN's, dude

Ah, okay. It weird me out because Canada is in the American continent...

Boredfrom

« Reply #1348 on: June 01, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »
This helps but I think it has more to do with the fact that it's just harder to get into the police than the military, and the military has better benefits.

Wait, what?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1349 on: June 01, 2020, 10:18:01 PM »

If the BBC spent one day acting as partisan and biased as CNN, that would be their biggest scandal yet and they covered up that their most famous children's' performer was a child rapist for decades. 

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1350 on: June 01, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »

Sure has.

kingv

« Reply #1351 on: June 01, 2020, 10:19:33 PM »
But in seriousness, I have not seen a single actionable plan about how to achieve police reform, except for maybe reinstating Obama's demilitarization stuff.  It's crazy how everyone in the media can simultaneously agree that racism is bad and structural but don't engage with the question of how to change that.   And in an election year, you think that would be the first thing that happens.  Shame the Dem primaries finished when they did.

The only thing that can fix it is pouring an absolute fucking ton of money into policing; training, graduate career programs, higher wages, more ancillary staff, structural changes. If you don't want to attract the kind of people that get off on exerting authority over people, you have to make it an attractive career for normal people.

But how is anyone going to put that into a manifesto without it looking like rewarding them for their bad behaviour?
Or justify pouring money into the police over things like urban regeneration, education or healthcare?

Defund the police.

The idea thst police need more money is crazy. They need less military gear, and need to lose qualified immunity.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1352 on: June 01, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »

If the BBC spent one day acting as partisan and biased as CNN, that would be their biggest scandal yet and they covered up that their most famous children's' performer was a child rapist for decades.

:doge

shosta

每天生气

BisMarckie

« Reply #1354 on: June 01, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »

Mandark fishing for filler likes. :wag

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

kingv

« Reply #1356 on: June 01, 2020, 10:25:15 PM »
Only got 1 :-(

bluemax

« Reply #1357 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »

NO

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1358 on: June 01, 2020, 10:40:29 PM »
Seems a lot more calmer tonight.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1359 on: June 01, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #1360 on: June 01, 2020, 10:49:33 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1361 on: June 01, 2020, 10:53:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1267516457895804931

tasty come get your game franchise

This is what Sony meant when they said they were going to step back and let more important voices be heard.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1362 on: June 01, 2020, 10:54:57 PM »
I will defend the BBC until the day I can no longer make half-hearted arguments online.  Their coverage of India is problematic though. 

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #1363 on: June 01, 2020, 10:57:48 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #1364 on: June 01, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1365 on: June 01, 2020, 11:00:56 PM »
I'm also starting to think that autopsies might be criminal junk science and fake like economics. 

bluemax

« Reply #1366 on: June 01, 2020, 11:02:24 PM »
NO

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1367 on: June 01, 2020, 11:04:33 PM »
I'm also starting to think that autopsies might be criminal junk science and fake like economics.

If you ever want to make yourself mad look up bite mark analysis, which has been used to convict people.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1368 on: June 01, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »
Wild how the rioters went back in time and killed him before the riots started.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1369 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:36 PM »
In pre-school, some kid bit me on the leg and we used his gangly-ass teeth to time the fucker out. 

shosta

« Reply #1370 on: June 01, 2020, 11:11:39 PM »
I literally haven't heard anything about the Louisville guy on national news all day, pretty big fail if you ask me.
每天生气

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1371 on: June 01, 2020, 11:13:45 PM »
Ya I hope it happens tomorrow but it kind of shows that black lives don't matter unless they die on camera.

paprikastaude

« Reply #1372 on: June 01, 2020, 11:16:48 PM »

anime, so this probably isn't even meant to be a black character but some guy with a really strong tan.  :doge

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1374 on: June 01, 2020, 11:27:44 PM »

If you ever want to make yourself mad look up bite mark analysis, which has been used to convict people.

ya it's so infuriating, but it's illegitimacy was amplified by some real hacks - specifically that one racist southern guy who's work has led to dozens of bad convictions (of black men ya), but the guy who kinda popularised it with ted bundys conviction does a good job in 'the innocence files' of outlining where it's valid and how the hacks (this one in particular) have been allowed to manipulate the system. the flaws being more in the system not cross referencing "experts" and verdicts being biased towards who delivered the best performance vs. presentation of legitimate evidence.
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #1375 on: June 01, 2020, 11:30:54 PM »
But in seriousness, I have not seen a single actionable plan about how to achieve police reform, except for maybe reinstating Obama's demilitarization stuff.
Today Obama linked everyone to a 143 page document his administration put together years ago and I don't actually know if that's better  :doge
每天生气

Boredfrom

« Reply #1376 on: June 01, 2020, 11:36:44 PM »

anime, so this probably isn't even meant to be a black character but some guy with a really strong tan.  :doge

Nah. He is from the Hawain-like region. Pretty sure Pokémon have many (actually) black characters.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1378 on: June 01, 2020, 11:41:40 PM »
hiding in a bunker and killing the lights in the face of a protest threw me off the entire day, I can't stop thinking about it. then I saw him fumbling around with a bible and it's like let me try and act out what I bet it's like to hold a book.

shosta

« Reply #1379 on: June 01, 2020, 11:54:11 PM »
Feeling a little despondent... the protests are basically over, they're going to keep upping the violence until no one wants to be outside anymore, and to my amazement, no city that I know of has announced any concrete plan of action. At the end of the day it was just a burst of energy gone as quickly as it started. The only thing that's changed is some public opinion, but just barely.

One whole week of liberal politicians saying "We hear you! We hear you!" But if nothing changes then hearing has become ignoring.
每天生气