Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 192528 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1380 on: November 07, 2020, 08:19:50 AM »

Nuitangg

« Reply #1381 on: November 07, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »
So you can't store PS5 games on an external drive? Surely that will change.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1382 on: November 07, 2020, 11:21:18 AM »
in none potat resolution:

El Babua

« Reply #1383 on: November 07, 2020, 03:50:21 PM »
Surprised you can't at least store PS5 games on an HDD. More than likely gonna be added in a firmware update down the line.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1384 on: November 07, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »
It will definitely be allowed later on, but likely only with whatever drives they deem compatible.
ど助平

Pennywise

« Reply #1385 on: November 07, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »
It will definitely be allowed later on, but likely only with whatever drives they deem compatible.
As storage. Not to play them from the external storage.

You can move PS4 games around from internal to external. Makes zero sense not to enable it for PS5 games as well, especially with the rather small space on the internal one.

nudemacusers

« Reply #1386 on: November 07, 2020, 06:19:36 PM »
in none potat resolution:

looks nice but they better have kept hyper mode
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1387 on: November 07, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
I feel salty. It seems like everyone was able to easily pre-order these things. What did you guys do? Reload the page every second?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1388 on: November 08, 2020, 03:57:59 AM »
I feel salty. It seems like everyone was able to easily pre-order these things. What did you guys do? Reload the page every second?
It's the same with all these launches. I thought I would be able to get a 5900x, CPU launches rarely sell out but they did in 5 minutes and there seems to be a big shortage of this stuff
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1389 on: November 08, 2020, 04:07:59 AM »
Just get this shit next year, fuck it.
What

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1390 on: November 08, 2020, 11:46:36 AM »
Console shipped.

:lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #1391 on: November 08, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
Got my VR adapter via fedex. Surprised Sony's spending that Fedex shipping money on all these free adapters.

Bebpo

« Reply #1392 on: November 08, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »

Part luck and part just spending hours refreshing Era thread. I'm sure Reddit or any other big site thread would work as well.

Once I saw there was any possibility that 1 place might put pre-orders up online I just sat and F5'd for 12-13 hours straight as they all came up to order.

I used to line up and EB and all that, but last few consoles I've just got from Amazon no problem by checking threads at the right time. Just been lucky.

Nuitangg

« Reply #1393 on: November 08, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Wal mart announced the exact time they were going up. It was a mess but took about 20 minutes to finally get checked out.

Bebpo

« Reply #1394 on: November 08, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »

Didn't remember that Sekiro PS4 Pro wasn't 60fps.

The Last Guardian 60fps, nice seeing that most Sony exclusives are 60fps now. 3rd party stuff you can just get that on XSX or PC, but 1st party Sony stuff getting boosted is real nice for legacy stuff.

Pennywise

« Reply #1395 on: November 08, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »

Didn't remember that Sekiro PS4 Pro wasn't 60fps.

The Last Guardian 60fps, nice seeing that most Sony exclusives are 60fps now. 3rd party stuff you can just get that on XSX or PC, but 1st party Sony stuff getting boosted is real nice for legacy stuff.

TLG at 60fps because he is playing the disc version without patching it.
The patch capped it at 30.

Bebpo

« Reply #1396 on: November 08, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »
TLG at 60fps because he is playing the disc version without patching it.
The patch capped it at 30.

Lol, that is some bullshit.

Wonder if they'll patch it. I've got the disc version so I guess I could always play it unpatched if I want to replay TLG at 60fps.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1397 on: November 08, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »
Imagine going back in time to let people in 2009 know that the only stable way to play TLG would be unpatched a PS5.

:doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1398 on: November 08, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-japan-has-been-sidelined-from-playstation-5s-launch-a-new-report-claims/amp/

PlayStation’s Japan Studio, which co-developed games such as Bloodborne, Astro’s Playroom and The Last Guardian, has seen the rolling contracts of many of its creators not renewed, former employees reportedly told Bloomberg.

Japan-based developer support teams have also been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, it claimed.

:-\
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1399 on: November 08, 2020, 05:02:07 PM »
Jim Ryan: "Who plays that weeb shit anyway? When you can have cinematic experiences such as Spider-Man: Miles Morales. First old games, now Japanese games, what's next, pixel art?"  :snob

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #1400 on: November 08, 2020, 06:06:08 PM »
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/sony-japan-has-been-sidelined-from-playstation-5s-launch-a-new-report-claims/amp/

PlayStation’s Japan Studio, which co-developed games such as Bloodborne, Astro’s Playroom and The Last Guardian, has seen the rolling contracts of many of its creators not renewed, former employees reportedly told Bloomberg.

Japan-based developer support teams have also been reduced by as much as a third from their peak, it claimed.

fyi, Sony said this article was fake.

Article was by the same person who said they were missing PS5 production by 4 million units, which Sony also said was fake.

Source might be iffy. Will wait for other journalists to get more info on Japan Studio contracts.

I mean they just put out Astrobot's Playroom and presumably are working on Astrobot 2. Would be weird to downsize the studio rn.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1401 on: November 08, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »

fyi, Sony said this article was fake.

Article was by the same person who said they were missing PS5 production by 4 million units, which Sony also said was fake.

Source might be iffy. Will wait for other journalists to get more info on Japan Studio contracts.

I mean they just put out Astrobot's Playroom and presumably are working on Astrobot 2. Would be weird to downsize the studio rn.

Source for this source?  I can't find anything that says this.  The same article does note this in response:

Responding to the Bloomberg report, Sony spokeswoman Natsumi Atarashi said “our home market remains of utmost importance” and claimed that any suggestion Sony was shifting its focus away from Japan was incorrect and “doesn’t reflect the company’s strategy”.

Edit: If you're getting this from ResetEra, I saw this in their thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/bloomberg-japan-has-been-sidelined-in-sonys-ps5-marketing-plans-microsoft-seeking-acquisitions-in-japan.321115/page-22#post-50903776
Takashi Mochizuki is an extremely reliable reporter in the tech/entertainment world. Only on era will you find people convinced that he has no reliable sources, by quoting three vague article out of the hundreds he reported on. Unsurprisingly, this only happens when he posts articles that aren't overwhelmingly positive about the Playstation brand.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:36:36 PM by bork »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1402 on: November 08, 2020, 08:35:54 PM »
Yeah, that was quote at the end of the article Sony's denial.

The analyst, Takashi Mochizuki, is the one making the claim. He is also the one that made the claim about production issues which Sony also denied a few months ago.

Either he has insider scoops at Sony, or he's reaching on some of these takes. Idk. Need more insiders.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1403 on: November 08, 2020, 08:36:47 PM »
Yeah, that was quote at the end is their denial.

The analyst, Takashi Mochizuki, is the one making the claim. He is also the one that made the claim about production issues which Sony also denied a few months ago.

Either he has insider scoops at Sony, or he's reaching on some of these takes. Idk. Need more insiders.

There was also this:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/bloomberg-japan-has-been-sidelined-in-sonys-ps5-marketing-plans-microsoft-seeking-acquisitions-in-japan.321115/#post-50834461
    “It’s analyst consensus that PlayStation no longer sees the Japan market as important,” Morningstar Research analyst Kazunori Ito said. “If you want to know their take on the Japanese market, you need to ask about it because otherwise Sony wouldn’t talk about it.”

“Sony’s attention is drifting away and fans have started to notice that.” said Hideki Yasuda, an analyst at Ace Research Institute in Tokyo

Serkan Toto, a game consultant in Tokyo, said the PlayStation 5 should sell fewer units than its predecessor.

“Many PlayStation 4 owners in Japan would eventually move to the PlayStation 5, but that would largely depend on how strong the PlayStation team in Tokyo will be in pushing the needs of Japanese customers to the American headquarters,” he said. “Considering the current power balance between the U.S. and Japan, I can’t expect much, unfortunately.”
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1404 on: November 08, 2020, 08:46:11 PM »
Yeah, either Sony's lying or this is correct. Idk.

Sony's in-house Japan stuff was super tiny for the last 5+ years. If you don't count games they helped out on or remaster ports, and just the games they actually made. I think the only game they developed fully was Knack II?

Astrobot was by Asobi Team
Hot Shots Golf VR by Clap Hanz
Last Guardian by Ueda's Team
Demon's Souls PS5 by Bluepoint
Gravity Daze by Project Siren

Like Sony could be not lying and the article could be correct if Japan Studio is essentially a tiny developer at this point that just assists on other developers games and maybe is shrinking further?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Japan_Studio

Or maybe Team Siren is going out because they have nothing after Gravity Daze 2 bombed? Asobi Team seems pretty alive right now and apparently is a western/Japanese hybrid studio.

Also Team Ueda is dead.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1405 on: November 08, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »
From that Wiki, it looks like Japan Studio has always been mainly working with other developers on games since 1994.
ど助平

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1406 on: November 08, 2020, 10:27:33 PM »
Unless Sony plans on putting out another handheld, it would be wise to shift focus to the west.

:idont

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1407 on: November 09, 2020, 04:55:07 AM »
p cool how its power draw is ~30% less running bc games at higher framerates than the original hardware (~100w vs 140w). dat new architecture efficiency :lawd
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #1408 on: November 09, 2020, 02:55:03 PM »
Blood & Truth for PSVR got updated to take advantage of PS5 boost mode for a better VR experience (higher framerate/textures/resolution). I'll be interested in trying it just to see how PSVR1 can look when not shackled by PS4 Pro tech. Would be good if at least the other PSVR major games got patches like this.

Unless Sony plans on putting out another handheld, it would be wise to shift focus to the west.

:idont

But didn't they already do this last gen with PS4...that's the other thing. It's not like PS4 was prioritized in anyway and was generally seen as Sony focusing on the west.

Bebpo

« Reply #1409 on: November 09, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
PSVR games are locked framerate/resolution because of VR I think. You don't want variable framerate in VR. So they all would need patches to improve.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1410 on: November 09, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
But didn't they already do this last gen with PS4...that's the other thing. It's not like PS4 was prioritized in anyway and was generally seen as Sony focusing on the west.
Sure, I agree. The PS4 Pro in concept was a western focused console and PS5 doubled down. I mean, its one of the largest home consoles ever released. Given how portable focused the Japanese gaming market is, it would seem to run counter to what would sell well there.

As for the Japan Studio rumor, maybe it's true? They have their fingers in a lot of pies including 2 PS5 launch titles so it would be an odd choice. Could they be shifting those resources to other places? Would this be good or bad long term? Idk.

Nuitangg

« Reply #1411 on: November 09, 2020, 07:12:15 PM »
Seriously thinking about getting Godfall.  Probably should wait for reviews.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1412 on: November 09, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »
Stop shoveling cash to Randy Pitchford you fool. Only buy his shit used :pacspit
🤴

Nuitangg

« Reply #1413 on: November 09, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »
Godfall is part of the Target buy 2 deal and some people were able to get first party games included through chat. 

naff

« Reply #1414 on: November 09, 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
i find it aesthetically gross, but it does look like it could be a fun hack'n slash looter
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #1415 on: November 09, 2020, 07:52:44 PM »
I can't even tell what kind of game Godfall is. It's like Destiny/Avengers GAAS but with swords? You just fight enemy waves/bosses in arenas with Souls-like combat?

naff

« Reply #1416 on: November 09, 2020, 08:41:26 PM »
that's what i understand yeah. idk about "souls-like" combat though. looks more dmc, god of war/platinum esque to me
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1417 on: November 10, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
PS5 picked up by courier  :lawd

didn't secure a disc version of deso though. not sure if i should go try get one or just dl that shit. wouldn't be surprised if sony has issues with their servers like m$ are.
◕‿◕

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1418 on: November 11, 2020, 12:12:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1326384523031011331

Holy shit, how does Sony still not do Sleep right on their non-Portable consoles?

Bebpo

« Reply #1419 on: November 11, 2020, 12:31:56 AM »
Yeah, Sony sucks at software. They've always been a hardware company and it shows in their OS stuff.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #1420 on: November 11, 2020, 12:37:59 AM »
Yeah, Sony sucks at software. They've always been a hardware company and it shows in their OS stuff.

Sure, but the PSP and it's little brother both did sleep mode just fine. How did the PS4 and 5 somehow fuck that up?

Bebpo

« Reply #1421 on: November 11, 2020, 12:52:19 AM »
Wait, what's wrong with sleep mode on PS4? I use it almost daily and haven't had any issue?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1422 on: November 11, 2020, 12:55:53 AM »
I don't really remember lots of problems with rest mode on my PS4.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1423 on: November 11, 2020, 01:38:49 AM »
Wait, what's wrong with sleep mode on PS4? I use it almost daily and haven't had any issue?

Yeah, Rest Mode is probably my favorite feature of the PS4. On the rare occasions of playing 360 games, waiting for it to start up and connect to XBL feels interminably long now.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1424 on: November 11, 2020, 01:58:10 AM »
They should have just built on the PS4 OS rather than start fresh, that would also let them beta test it on the millions of PS4s out there to catch weird bugs like that.

I mean I get that it's all about having a whole new look exclusively for the next-gen but every other consumer electronic gets major OS updates these days.

El Babua

« Reply #1425 on: November 11, 2020, 02:04:39 AM »
It probably is an updated version of whatever BSD fork they were using on PS4. Not surprised to see launch software fucking up.

We won't ever get a console OS as open as PS3's ever again :(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1426 on: November 11, 2020, 02:39:00 AM »
Stop shoveling cash to Randy Pitchford you fool. Only buy his shit used :pacspit

Wow Nintex and I agree on something? :aah
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1427 on: November 11, 2020, 07:56:01 AM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1428 on: November 11, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/11/11/21559903/sony-playstation-5-no-browser-1440p-support-vr

Unlike the Xbox Series X, Series S, and the One X before them, the PS5 won’t output natively to 1440p monitors, instead scaling up from 1080p. Nishino says this is because Sony wanted to focus on TV support at first, but notes that there’s no technical reason why it couldn’t be done and may be added if the company decides there’s enough demand.

If there's no reason why it can't be done...why wouldn't you add support?
:mindblown
ど助平

Nuitangg

« Reply #1429 on: November 11, 2020, 10:17:12 AM »
Enough demand  :neogaf

Bebpo

« Reply #1430 on: November 11, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
Nice to see everything's reviewing well outside Godfall.

Also Astrobot team says more Astrobot coming. Assuming it's Astrobot 2, though big question is will it be VR or not. Playroom is reviewing extremely well with lots of 9s/10s and is not VR so could see them do non-VR for wider audience.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1431 on: November 11, 2020, 12:04:47 PM »
no money to bitchford pls brehs, daddy nintex says so
(ice)

Nuitangg

« Reply #1432 on: November 11, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »
Pitchford's wiki page is pretty interesting.  "I was only studying a magic trick"   :jared

Bebpo

« Reply #1433 on: November 11, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
It's funny because Godfall is the most fun sounding launch game to me.

I mean it looks interesting and combat games are always good, but a whollllle lot of 5/10s out there on this and that's with the launch title benefit of doubt bonus. Seems bad.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1434 on: November 11, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
Also its 70$
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1435 on: November 11, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »
Maybe there’s a world where people want to min-max all of this stuff, and maybe there are high level players who can keep all of Godfall’s combat options in their head at once and truly master combat. But I’m not sure there’s much to master, really. In my experience, nearly every fight was so easy as to be brainless, except for three that were stupidly difficult. Even then, the absence of traditional checkpoints—when you die you just pick up where you left off, though bosses will regenerate back a portion of their health—means you can just slam your face into any fight until you eventually win. Importantly, this means you don’t need to actually learn what you’re doing wrong—if you’re even doing anything wrong.

https://egmnow.com/godfall-review/

Yeah, sounds like a lot of fun
What

Bebpo

« Reply #1436 on: November 11, 2020, 03:04:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1326614963692179456

Between Astrobot and this it's nice to have some platformers at launch.

Platformers, sandbox games and souls games. Good launch.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1437 on: November 11, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
The frame rate hitches repeatedly, including pretty much every time you pick up an item. That’s true even in combat, and I died at least once because the action had stuttered.
I encountered regular crashes back to the home screen.
Once, the game managed to completely crash my PlayStation 5 to the point the system powered off.
Gearsux  :pacspit

There's something I don't quite get about the PS5 and that is the resolution choices.
I read that the PS5 doesn't do 1440p but also that it only does 4k on 120hz in certain games and otherwise defaults to 1080p / 120hz?
Like how does that work.
🤴

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1438 on: November 11, 2020, 04:53:52 PM »
You could tell godfall was gonna be a dud by the way they were showing so much of it but also so little, if you get me lol. If it was good we wouldn't have had all those vague, ui less "gameplay" trailers.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1439 on: November 11, 2020, 04:58:33 PM »
Imagine bothering to do your job in 2020  :pacspit
Margs