Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 192830 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1320 on: November 01, 2020, 12:54:45 AM »
there's a funny lil boutique vid store next to my apartment that stocks a bunch of 4k blu rays. p keen to check out the quality vs streamed / ripped 4k content. got some new mordaunt short speakers and atacama stands as rears for proper surround sound in prep too, and my flatmate of 5 years is finally moving out so I can jam games at a decent volume whenever I want in the nud  :rejoice

gonna relish this "terrible" deso remake score in all its glory.
◕‿◕

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #1321 on: November 01, 2020, 01:32:13 AM »
let me know when u get da PSPentiple and I'll come over to play "terrible" games :punch

paprikastaude

« Reply #1322 on: November 01, 2020, 05:35:55 AM »
The biggest appeal of the console right now is to have a new toy during the next lockdown in my country  :mysterio
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:16:24 AM by Spieler1 »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1323 on: November 01, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »
My favourite thing about 4k movies is that like half of em are upscaled. Sounds like a complete waste.

Just like me getting a tv that supports all the modern nonsense and it's basically a case by case basis on what actually supports that shit.

4K/120hz. Yeah right.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1324 on: November 01, 2020, 07:48:25 AM »
It depends on your TV I guess but on my LG OLED every 4K HDR movie is an absolute blast to watch.
Movies like The Dark Knight, Dunkirk. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Joker, John Wick etc. look better than they do in theaters and there's some fantastic remastering done on titles like The Matrix, Blade Runner, The Hunt for Red October older Mission Impossible films etc. .

Strangely enough the effect is less impressive on Marvel or some DC movies where they didn't render the special effects in 4k.
It's the best movie experience possible at home and my TV also upscales 1080p far better than any console does so even the better looking Switch games like Mario Kart 8 and Zelda hardly have any anti-aliasing issues.

If you're looking for a TV simply go with an LG OLED with the Technicolor Expert setting. There's nothing better.
My LG set also supports both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision so it doesn't really matter what becomes the standard.
I'm not sure if 8k will be a thing, probably eventually but that's the point where it only really works on the biggest screens.
In the end the best resolution depends on the size of your screen. Everything above 42" and 4K/HDR OLED is  :lawd

4K / HDR Blu Rays also look tons better and most of all more consistent than 4k streaming from Netflix or Disney. I'm often surprised at how poor some 4k content is delivered (heavily compressed).

Trust me, once you can rediscover your content on such a good screen, you wish the lockdown lasted longer  :lol
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1325 on: November 01, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
You're full of shit. Loads of 4K blu-rays are literally not 4K.

What you are seeing is the quality of the tv. Not the 4k blu-ray.

https://www.digiraw.com/DVD-4K-Bluray-ripping-service/4K-UHD-ripping-service/the-real-or-fake-4K-list/

What a fucking shitshow.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:08:22 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Coax

« Reply #1326 on: November 01, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »

I mean, every one of the films he mentioned is native 4K. Besides, even upscaled 2K when done correctly for a release preserves more of the original quality since 1080P is smaller than the resolution used for 2K-shot films, in addition to the the doubling of the chroma sub-sampling at 4K (in 1080P you're getting half the resolution of some channels) and the increase in bitrate and use of HEVC.

Nintex also benefits from having the ideal display for HDR since OLED has per-pixel brightness unlike other local dimming solutions (FALD or edge-lit).

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1327 on: November 01, 2020, 08:18:50 AM »
What ammount of PS5 games do you think will actually use 4K/120?
Which ones will actually use HDR?
Will the HDR work while using VRR or 120hz?
Sony's own tvs don't even have proper Dolby Vision.
Will the HDR support from the consoles conflict with HDR chip in your tv?

Coax

« Reply #1328 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »

Any console marketing ('up to') 4K @ 120Hz will be for specific titles they tested obvs, whether upcoming gen or even backwards compatible ones. Also part of it is the fact that HDMI 2.1 supports that combo. Actually having consistent new and demanding titles at that res and refresh rate would all depend on settings. It's been more feasible on PC since one can tweak whatever though there are also many less demanding titles that can easily run like that.

As for Dolby Vision support on Sony TVs I'm not familiar but DV isn't necessary for displaying HDR from any Ultra HD Blu-Ray at least since all titles support HDR10 (some don't even see much of a difference with DV comparatively, there's a whole thread on Blu-Ray.com about this).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1329 on: November 01, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »
HDR was already executed quite well on the Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro starting with Assassins Creed Origins and Forza. I suspect that nearly all big releases will support HDR in some form, considering they already do on PS4.
4K/120 is a different beast. 4k/30 or 4k/60 will be more common for single player games. I've never had an HDR conflict on the console or streaming side.
The only issue is indeed support for certain standards but there's not a whole lot of Dolby Vision content out there. Most is HDR10 or HDR10+. Most Dolby Vision stuff is on Netflix and it's all TV shows.

You are right that there are lots of 4k blu-ray's not 4k, like Marvel and other heavy CG films, simply because they didn't render the CG in 4k.
You'll find that most movies that rely less on CG are native 4k. For me it has certainly been worth the investment for some of my favorite films.
Prices are also starting to come down a bit.

I have a 120hz IPS PC monitor but honestly I never thought that was such a big deal. The biggest benefit is less lag for competitive gaming and very fast games like racing titles or something like DOOM Eternal looks more fluid.
In 'slower' games like Battlefield 5, Witcher 3 or Deus Ex: MD I never noticed much difference. Overall, ever since screen tearing was fixed and G-Sync and Freesync came to the scene I haven't had any complaints about image quality in PC gaming in general.
Same goes for Xbox One X. With that machine though, the framerate doesn't hold up in all games. The latest Tomb Raider had gorgeous HDR effects but the framerate would occasionally tank.

Right now, I'm upgrading my PC first both for #WFH and because while it 'works' I can tell that my Intel 4th gen just isn't made with things like VR in mind and holds my RTX 2070 Super back. I could never get HDR to work on it either.
It held up extremely well for 6+ years though. Hopefully I can set-up my PC in a way that PC gaming on the TV is less of a hassle and otherwise I'll pick up a next gen gaming box next year when there's actual next gen games.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1330 on: November 01, 2020, 10:09:00 AM »
Sony confirms that PSVR support for PS5 games is not happening.

https://www.techradar.com/news/psvr-2-wont-arrive-anytime-soon-according-to-sony
In an interview with The Washington Post, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan stated that although PlayStation believes in VR, fans of virtual reality will be waiting at least a couple of years before a successor to the PSVR arrives.

"I think we're more than a few minutes from the future of VR," Ryan said. "PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment.

"Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we're very pleased with all the experience that we've gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forward to seeing where that takes us in the future."

https://www.techradar.com/news/virtual-hopes-dashed-sony-has-no-plans-to-make-psvr-compatible-with-ps5-games

For the second time in 24 hours, Sony has crushed the hopes of PSVR fans hoping for new VR experiences on the upcoming PS5 console.

After suggesting that the PSVR 2 is at least a couple of years away, Sony has now confirmed that upcoming VR releases for Hitman 3 and No Man's Sky will only be available if you buy and play the PS4 version of the games.

Speaking with UploadVR, a Sony rep said that PSVR on the PS5 is only backwards compatible, and that “We have not announced PS5 titles for PS VR.”
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1331 on: November 01, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »
I guess they'll wait and see if the Quest 2 is a hit or not gaming wise.
It sorta feels like the ship has sailed for VR devices tethered to consoles and PC's though outside of the high-end segment.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #1332 on: November 01, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
That's unfortunate, but to be expected.  I'm down for upgrading to PSVR2, but as of now, I can't imagine jumping on it Day 1.  I love VR, but I'll wait on a price drop for it.... Unless they launch it at $200 or something crazy good like that.

Svejk

« Reply #1333 on: November 01, 2020, 03:04:58 PM »
Finally found some info on the character creator in Demon's Souls and whether they improved on it in any way....

"What we have done is we've updated the character creator and we've given thousands upon thousands of new permutations where you can create and you can play," Moore said. "And then once you've chosen a character, what you can do is, after you've paid a number of souls for it, in the Nexus you can actually kind of store your character and then go in and change your character in the Nexus. So that's the quick interpretation of it, I guess."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/demons-souls-ps5-remake-lets-you-save-and-store-characters/1100-6483883/

Music to my ears  :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #1334 on: November 01, 2020, 03:22:55 PM »
The VR stuff is a mess and I don't think the left hand is talking to the right hand at Sony right now as they are focused on the launch.

I think over the next year they'll get their act together on supporting the existing VR hardware (which fully functions on PS5 with the camera adapter) until VR2 comes out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1335 on: November 01, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
The VR stuff is a mess and I don't think the left hand is talking to the right hand at Sony right now as they are focused on the launch.

I think over the next year they'll get their act together on supporting the existing VR hardware (which fully functions on PS5 with the camera adapter) until VR2 comes out.

It fully functions for PS4 games only and will not work with PS5 controllers- it's a safe bet to assume that PSVR is soon joining the "legacy hardware" family alongside PS3 3D and the Vita.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1336 on: November 01, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »

It fully functions for PS4 games only and will not work with PS5 controllers- it's a safe bet to assume that PSVR is soon joining the "legacy hardware" family alongside PS3 3D and the Vita.
The Move controllers are pretty dated tech by now (maybe not to Nintendo's standards :dice).  I wouldn't blame them limiting it to PS4 VR.   If they kept PS5 VR games tethered to it, that'd be sad. 

naff

« Reply #1337 on: November 01, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
yeah, they'd need those stupid lights on the ps5 controllers for it to work properly no?

very glad they're not supporting that legacy hardware. ps4 vr is already extremely dated, a lot better to move on as supporting specific relatively niche legacy hardware like that is a lot more trouble than it's worth and kinda gimps future dev. still, for it's time it was good and did the most of any headset so far for further adoption of vr.
◕‿◕

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1338 on: November 01, 2020, 04:17:30 PM »
Yeah, I sure did'nt want the current PSVR to be what was going to bE used for PS5. I mean it sucks that at some point you're going to spend another $250-$300 for another headset, but thats the nature of the beast. But I sure want a new and improved PSVR for PS5.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:32:26 PM by Rahxephon91 »

naff

« Reply #1339 on: November 01, 2020, 04:21:37 PM »
it was p incredible to me they did it at all, and it still is a fun piece of tech but that first gen of vr has dated fast. it would be embarrassing to be promoting new ps4 vr games for ps5.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #1340 on: November 01, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »

I think you're confused. VR has nothing to do with controllers.

PSVR headset works on PS5, no question. Right now there are no PS5 games that support PSVR. I expect that to change once they get a few patches in and work out an incompatibility issues. It's just not a high priority for Sony right now. Having a stable launch system is getting their priority.

They already said PSVR will work with PS5 and PSVR2 isn't coming out for at least another year if not two years. Meanwhile there will be new VR games that get released in 2021/2022, I'm 100% sure they will be playable on PS5 using the existing PSVR hardware until there is a PSVR2.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1341 on: November 01, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »
I think what bork is saying is that PS5 versions won't work with the PSVR. Like if there was a native version of say Star Wars Squadrons. It would'nt have VR and you'd have to buy the PS4 version. Just like with the upcoming Hitman 3. The PS5 version will not have VR. You'd have to get the PS4 version and play that on PS5 to get VR.

And it's possibly because the PSVR tracks the lights with the camera.

And when they do have PSVR2 hopefully it is wireless and dosen't do that. I hope it's as easy at the Quest 2.

naff

« Reply #1342 on: November 01, 2020, 04:38:38 PM »
don't a bunch of games use the controller lights for tracking? hence, you'd need to use a ps4 controller on ps5 for psvr bc titles. idk, thinking about it, the lighttracking on the controller is prob not important considering it's mostly just tracking the headset.

i never played any vr titles with the move controllers, just what worked with the reg controller.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1343 on: November 01, 2020, 05:13:56 PM »
I think what bork is saying is that PS5 versions won't work with the PSVR. Like if there was a native version of say Star Wars Squadrons. It would'nt have VR and you'd have to buy the PS4 version. Just like with the upcoming Hitman 3. The PS5 version will not have VR. You'd have to get the PS4 version and play that on PS5 to get VR.

Correct- this is what the article confirms.  One "workaround" here, when applicable, is to buy the PS4 version of a game (digital) that offers the PS5 version as a free upgrade, like Hitman is supposed to, so you at least get both versions for the price of one.

I think you're confused. VR has nothing to do with controllers.

PSVR headset works on PS5, no question. Right now there are no PS5 games that support PSVR. I expect that to change once they get a few patches in and work out an incompatibility issues. It's just not a high priority for Sony right now. Having a stable launch system is getting their priority.

They already said PSVR will work with PS5 and PSVR2 isn't coming out for at least another year if not two years. Meanwhile there will be new VR games that get released in 2021/2022, I'm 100% sure they will be playable on PS5 using the existing PSVR hardware until there is a PSVR2.

No, they confirmed that PSVR will only work on PS5 with the camera adapter and then using only PS4 or Move controllers- PS5 controllers will not work.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2020/10/10/playstation-vr-is-backward-compatible-on-ps5-but-theres-a-catch/?sh=25f8498d176c
https://uploadvr.com/editorial-psvr-on-ps5/

More confusing is the approach to getting PSVR running on PS5. Sony’s flashy new HD Camera, launching alongside the console in November, doesn’t support PSVR tracking. To use the headset, you have to plug in the PS4-era camera. Only you can’t do that without a special adapter. You have to apply to get one here and it’s only one per household, though it will be shipped free of charge. Even then, you can’t use the PSVR with the new DualSense controller – you have to use your old DualShock 4 and PlayStation Moves, which in turn won’t support new PS5 games.

Then there’s the awkward topic of cross-generation games, which has proved to be a thorn in PSVR’s side these past few months. Both Hitman 3 and No Man’s Sky are releasing full, native PS5 editions soon. On PS4, both games support optional PSVR content. But, as we finally confirmed this week, neither game can integrate PSVR support on PS5.

That’s right, if you want to play these two titles in VR, you have to use the downgraded versions.

This puts PSVR owners in a strangely awkward position. If you want to play No Man’s Sky on PS5 in VR, you’ll need to install the older version of the game on your console, so you won’t be getting all the shiny new updates like enhanced graphics. Free next-gen upgrades mitigate the pain of this somewhat, but it’s a needlessly bizarre situation all the same. What if someone buys Hitman 3 on PS5 expecting to play in VR, only to find they needed the PS4 version? Will there be a downgrade scheme in place for this situation too? We still don’t have answers for that.

All of this, combined with the recent closure of Sony’s VR-focused UK developer (which was working on its first, AAA PSVR game) paints a grim [icture for PSVR in the short-term. Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan’s recent comments about the future of VR being “more than a few minutes” out also hit hard. We’ll likely see new PSVR games come to PS4 in 2021 beyond Hitman 3 but, for now, PS5 appears like a pretty clean break from the platform.
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1344 on: November 01, 2020, 10:11:03 PM »
I will get one of these things eventually but probably when they make a less fucking absurd looking version of them. I'm picturing stacks of launch units in the junk pile at the Hard-Off 15 years from now.

Bebpo

« Reply #1345 on: November 01, 2020, 10:19:25 PM »

And it's possibly because the PSVR tracks the lights with the camera.

And when they do have PSVR2 hopefully it is wireless and dosen't do that. I hope it's as easy at the Quest 2.

Yeah, I know what the current situation is.

I'm just saying I'm 100% sure they'll patch it in year 1 so new VR games will release on PS5 in 2021 and be playable on the existing PSVR hardware since there is no PSVR2 hardware yet.

They're not going to have a 1-2 year gap where all the latest VR hit games are available on every platform including PS4 but not on PS5. They're not idiots.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1346 on: November 01, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
I'm just saying I'm 100% sure they'll patch it in year 1 so new VR games will release on PS5 in 2021 and be playable on the existing PSVR hardware since there is no PSVR2 hardware yet.

Why would they not announce this, then?  Why tell consumers that the hardware requires an adapter, does not work with PS5 controllers, and that PS5 versions of the same games won't have VR support, then?  None of that makes any sense.

They're not going to have a 1-2 year gap where all the latest VR hit games are available on every platform including PS4 but not on PS5. They're not idiots.

Are there such things?  :doge

Anyway, they literally said exactly this and that VR is not in the cards right now.  Here it is again, from CEO Jim Ryan:

"I think we're more than a few minutes from the future of VR," Ryan said. "PlayStation believes in VR. Sony believes in VR, and we definitely believe at some point in the future, VR will represent a meaningful component of interactive entertainment.

"Will it be this year? No. Will it be next year? No. But will it come at some stage? We believe that. And we're very pleased with all the experience that we've gained with PlayStation VR, and we look forward to seeing where that takes us in the future."

This reads very much like him saying that they're done with VR for now.  I don't see any other way to interpret that.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1347 on: November 01, 2020, 11:35:39 PM »
Bork do you have a PSVR?

The headset does not relate to the controllers at all. It's essentially another television. That's like saying a controller won't work with your tv. The PS5 controller doesn't play PS5 VR games because there are no PS5 VR games. Hell there's only like 15 PS5 games total in existence in the next month or two.

Sony's started time and time again that VR is a big deal for them. Pretty sure they're still the #1 leader of the VR market. They're not going to give that up and walk away.

They already have shown that PSVR2 is in development and will of course be PS5 compatible. They didn't want to release PSVR2 at PS5 launch because then PS5 would cost $1,000 or something together and they're trying to keep the price down and focus on getting in as many households as they can. There's a bunch of patents already leaked for the new VR controllers which look essentially like Index.

PSVR2 launch is either next year or 2022. All 1st party PSVR games in development at this point are probably for the PSVR2 so there likely won't be any 1st party games during this gap.

And yes, there are big VR hits. VR is a large market, you should give it a try.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1348 on: November 01, 2020, 11:40:57 PM »
I don't doubt there could be light info about the next VR headset from Sony, but searching for it.....brings up next to nothing. :doge
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #1349 on: November 01, 2020, 11:49:34 PM »
I don't doubt there could be light info about the next VR headset from Sony, but searching for it.....brings up next to nothing. :doge

https://uploadvr.com/new-psvr-controllers-patent-index/

From about a month ago. There's also been patents related to various VR rending stuff that is like the Index and makes a lot of people think PSVR2 will be wireless like Quest.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1350 on: November 02, 2020, 12:35:57 AM »

https://www.digiraw.com/DVD-4K-Bluray-ripping-service/4K-UHD-ripping-service/the-real-or-fake-4K-list/

What a fucking shitshow.

it's not really a shit show. there's a lot of variables at play but it isn't uncommon for 2K UHD rips to look more impressive than a "real 4K" rip and your TV more than likely isn't going to be using any of its algorithms to touch up the image on a 2K digital intermediate upscaled to 4K as the studios have passed through the transfer using more complex upscaling techniques than your television is capable of doing

and let me reemphasize that there's a lot at play in every transfer, an example being the first John Wick was filmed in 2.8K but finished at 4K while John Wick 3 was filmed in 3.2K but finished in 2K. guess which looks better? and a 35mm film transfer with a 4k digital intermediate isn't the same as a film shot on 4k with a 4k digital intermediate as film doesn't exactly transfer 1:1 when digitally scanned.

not to mention the resolution isn't the most important part of a UHD film; it's the wider color gamut and dynamic range provided by the 10-bit signal

UHD is fucking awesome

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1351 on: November 02, 2020, 12:38:22 AM »
Bork do you have a PSVR?

The headset does not relate to the controllers at all. It's essentially another television. That's like saying a controller won't work with your tv. The PS5 controller doesn't play PS5 VR games because there are no PS5 VR games. Hell there's only like 15 PS5 games total in existence in the next month or two.

That doesn't make sense when the PS5 controllers work with all other PS4 games. 

There are no PS5 VR games because there is no PS5 VR, period-- the current model does not work with the PS5 and I am sure they are doing this on purpose to get people to fork out money for another model.  If the current PSVR is going to get PS5 games later on, why would they not say this?  There is no reason for them not to announce that games are in development and that the controller will work later on. 

PSVR2 launch is either next year or 2022. All 1st party PSVR games in development at this point are probably for the PSVR2 so there likely won't be any 1st party games during this gap.

No, it's not next year.  We already got confirmation on this.  Why do you continue to ignore what Jim Ryan has just recently said?  :dizzy

And yes, there are big VR hits. VR is a large market, you should give it a try.

I've tried PSVR before and didn't care for 'low-res' 720P visuals and the games I tried, except for one- Superhot VR was pretty cool.  I certainly would not buy a PSVR and would go for something like the Oculus if I were interested.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1352 on: November 02, 2020, 12:40:12 AM »

https://uploadvr.com/new-psvr-controllers-patent-index/

From about a month ago. There's also been patents related to various VR rending stuff that is like the Index and makes a lot of people think PSVR2 will be wireless like Quest.

From the same site:

https://uploadvr.com/sony-next-gen-vr-controllers-finger-tracking/

That said, don’t expect to see any of this work as a commercial product this year. Sony itself has warned that it’s not likely to release PSVR 2 alongside PS5. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too much longer, though. For now, check out everything we know about PSVR 2.

:dizzy
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1353 on: November 02, 2020, 02:36:54 AM »
Are you being dense on purpose bork?

Do you think that this phrase "Sony itself has warned that it’s not likely to release PSVR 2 alongside PS5."

Means that Sony will not be releasing PSVR2 for PS5? Because I'm pretty sure that phrase means PSVR2 is not releasing at/near launch with PS5. Same with Jim Ryan's comments, you're putting words that aren't there. Nothing he said in his recent interview indicates that there isn't a PSVR2 in the works for PS5 to be announced and released in a year or so. A lot of people are putting their own interpretation into an interview that basically just said VR isn't the biggest thing ever right now, but Sony believes in VR and believes it will get there. Maybe not this year or next year, but eventually. Which is what every VR company has been saying for years since it's going to be a slow uptake because of the costs.

I'm not sure what the point of your posts about VR in this thread are. It seems like you're trying to make some sort of "look, Sony is giving up on VR like they did the Vita" thing. Which isn't true at all.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/jim-ryan-i-think-we%E2%80%99re-more-than-a-few-minutes-from-the-future-of-vr-will-it-be-this-year-no-will-it-be-next-year-no.315658/

If you want, you can read the Era thread on the article which gives all the takes you can want. Basically there is no info announced by Sony about their future plans in the entertainment space beyond November 2020's PS5 launch. There's no info about PSVR2 yet, no info about PS5 Pro/Slim yet, etc... only the CEO in one article making a vague statement that people can either interpret as "Sony gives up on PSVR" or that "Sony is still working on PSVR2 and just saying it's not coming out right after PS5 launch", until there is more information and more interviews/articles/clarification, there is no way to know 100% for sure what their plan is for VR.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:13:35 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1354 on: November 02, 2020, 07:29:17 AM »
Are you being dense on purpose bork?

Is it just not possible to talk about video game stuff without being insulted?

Do you think that this phrase "Sony itself has warned that it’s not likely to release PSVR 2 alongside PS5."

Means that Sony will not be releasing PSVR2 for PS5? Because I'm pretty sure that phrase means PSVR2 is not releasing at/near launch with PS5. Same with Jim Ryan's comments, you're putting words that aren't there. Nothing he said in his recent interview indicates that there isn't a PSVR2 in the works for PS5 to be announced and released in a year or so. A lot of people are putting their own interpretation into an interview that basically just said VR isn't the biggest thing ever right now, but Sony believes in VR and believes it will get there. Maybe not this year or next year, but eventually. Which is what every VR company has been saying for years since it's going to be a slow uptake because of the costs.

I'm not sure what the point of your posts about VR in this thread are. It seems like you're trying to make some sort of "look, Sony is giving up on VR like they did the Vita" thing. Which isn't true at all.

That's exactly what I think appears to be going on based on their comments.  Not that they're giving up on VR entirely at the moment, but that the original PSVR unit is 'dead' and is clearly not their focus.  Here's another thing to consider about this- besides the PS5 controllers not working with it, you also need an adapter to use the PSVR on the first place.  An adapter that is not being sold in stores and has to be gotten after registering with Sony.  That's not the kind of move they'd be making if they were still fully behind it.

If you want, you can read the Era thread on the article

:donot

only the CEO in one article making a vague statement that people can either interpret as "Sony gives up on PSVR" or that "Sony is still working on PSVR2 and just saying it's not coming out right after PS5 launch"

Let's look at this again:

It very clearly states that they're not releasing anything VR-related for a while, period.  What's open to interpretation is how long this will take or if it happens at all.  Just want to make sure that's being clarified here.

until there is more information and more interviews/articles/clarification, there is no way to know 100% for sure what their plan is for VR.

Right.  And that includes saying things like "I'm just saying I'm 100% sure they'll patch it in year 1 so new VR games will release on PS5 in 2021 and be playable on the existing PSVR hardware since there is no PSVR2 hardware yet."  Are you being dense on purpose bebpo?   :doge
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1355 on: November 02, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
Demon's Souls will have a range of filters to use, including a "classic mode" which copies the washed out PS3 look.   That being said, there's a photomode in the game, which means, you can technically pause the game.  :P

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1356 on: November 02, 2020, 07:50:45 AM »
That being said, there's a photomode in the game, which means, you can technically pause the game.  :P

Unless you get invaded, in which case you get booted out of it!
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1357 on: November 02, 2020, 08:00:45 AM »
That being said, there's a photomode in the game, which means, you can technically pause the game.  :P

Unless you get invaded, in which case you get booted out of it!
Tro

naff

« Reply #1358 on: November 02, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »

What a fucking shitshow.

it's not really a shit show. there's a lot of variables at play but it isn't uncommon for 2K UHD rips to look more impressive than a "real 4K" rip and your TV more than likely isn't going to be using any of its algorithms to touch up the image on a 2K digital intermediate upscaled to 4K as the studios have passed through the transfer using more complex upscaling techniques than your television is capable of doing

and let me reemphasize that there's a lot at play in every transfer, an example being the first John Wick was filmed in 2.8K but finished at 4K while John Wick 3 was filmed in 3.2K but finished in 2K. guess which looks better? and a 35mm film transfer with a 4k digital intermediate isn't the same as a film shot on 4k with a 4k digital intermediate as film doesn't exactly transfer 1:1 when digitally scanned.

not to mention the resolution isn't the most important part of a UHD film; it's the wider color gamut and dynamic range provided by the 10-bit signal

UHD is fucking awesome

8) bless
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1359 on: November 02, 2020, 10:32:10 PM »
On the one hand, PSVR was quite successful.
On the other hand, non-portable VR just became very obsolete as a concept, given what the Quest 2 is offering, and will feel even more obsolete in a couple of years, if Facebook does another revision.

naff

« Reply #1360 on: November 02, 2020, 10:35:19 PM »
i do really hope that Sony release a second gen vr set next year. high end pc's will always be too niche to drive the technology forward in a meaningful way, we need a device akin to the index but for powerful consoles if we hope to see more software like alyx.

consoles are an especially good place for adoption and standardization of tech like 60ghz wifi chips for low latency high bandwidth transmission. we will forever be stuck in the ghetto of expensive enthusiast hardware running cheap software if the big console players steer away from it.

On the one hand, PSVR was quite successful.
On the other hand, non-portable VR just became very obsolete as a concept, given what the Quest 2 is offering, and will feel even more obsolete in a couple of years, if Facebook does another revision.

imo, there are too many limitations to having the headset do all the rendering. i will always much rather having a dedicated headset that streams from a console like the series x or ps5 that are several orders of magnitude more powerful than anything you'll be able to put in a mobile headset for a long time, not to mention they'll always be relatively bulky and uncomfortable.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1361 on: November 02, 2020, 10:37:30 PM »
That's the issue tho, Quest does both (with the Oculus link) so my point is, if they do have a PSVR2, it better work as a hybrid.

naff

« Reply #1362 on: November 02, 2020, 10:38:19 PM »
nah, the quest link isn't that good and you still have the issue that the headset is bulkier. it becomes a problem really fast playing with that thing. it will always have it's place, but the psvr is by far the most popular vr headset of all time, and it has the best software available imo. the problem is the tech dated fast. update it to be a wireless headset you can run around your lounge with in range of your ps5 (or Series X with an official Xbox MR headset), that is lighter than a quest with image quality leaps and bounds beyond it and it will be popular af.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:46:29 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1363 on: November 02, 2020, 11:30:35 PM »
I really think a wireless streaming PSVR2 could be the headset that brings great hardware and software to the medium. I'm sold theoretically on the tech, but imo it suffers from "having no games" and the hardware mostly being awkward to use (fb/oculus mostly solved this).

Imo, nearly all the hardware is ugly and awkward to use (PSVR is awkward af requiring chunky, heavy wires and line of sight with the camera), but that could be solved with strong industrial design - psvr is almost right despite a cheap build it's light and comfortable disregarding the awkward box and wires that connect it, valve index is a lot deeper/chunkier than it needs to be with an unnecessary expansion slot, vive is horrendously expensive and the controllers are kinda poop but it feels good, Quest is p awesome but imo the mobile chipset limitation is too great and/or FB don't have the chops to make a title that really grabs people (like, i won't deny it's possible because BoTW was made on a tegra x1 and is the most iconic game of the last decade, but i don't see fb ever getting anyone to make anything on their platform close to that engaging).
◕‿◕

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1364 on: November 03, 2020, 02:25:47 AM »
I imagine PS5 specific vr will come in time when there's more of a userbase than the day one people.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1365 on: November 03, 2020, 11:05:54 AM »
If those patent pictures are anything to go by, I could see them releasing a standalone VR unit that also works with PS5 and maybe PC.  Or the previously-mentioned streaming wireless headset idea. 
:thinking
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1366 on: November 03, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »
Day's Gone confirmed jumping from sub 30fps -> 60fps. Was like 10 hours in on this when I tried it this year and sorta liked it but didn't love it. Will give it another try.

Bebpo

« Reply #1367 on: November 03, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »
If those patent pictures are anything to go by, I could see them releasing a standalone VR unit that also works with PS5 and maybe PC.  Or the previously-mentioned streaming wireless headset idea. 

If they do wireless there's no reason to tie it to the PS5 unless they're gonna go for streaming. Steaming might make sense though. Depends on where tech is at that point.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1368 on: November 03, 2020, 02:47:20 PM »
Day's Gone confirmed jumping from sub 30fps -> 60fps. Was like 10 hours in on this when I tried it this year and sorta liked it but didn't love it. Will give it another try.
The second half of that game is really good. Kind of wish I would have waited now because base PS4 would chug a bit with the bigger hordes.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1369 on: November 03, 2020, 06:12:16 PM »

If they do wireless there's no reason to tie it to the PS5 unless they're gonna go for streaming. Steaming might make sense though. Depends on where tech is at that point.

It could be a hybrid device that has its own games, but could also connect to the PS5 for games with better visuals.  I have no idea if this is something that any other VR headsets already do with PCs or not.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1370 on: November 05, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-no-native-1440p-support/amp/

Previously, monitor manufacturer BenQ hinted the PS5 would support 1440p, but it seems they were mistaken.

According to IGN Italy, representatives from Sony have officially confirmed that the PS5 doesn’t support 1440p natively. Now, you’ll still be able to connect a 1440p screen to your PS5 and play games, but what you’ll most likely be getting is a 1080p signal upscaled to 1440p, which doesn’t always look great. This isn’t anything new – surprisingly, the PS4 Pro also only supported 1080p and 4K natively even though, functionally, a large number of its games ran at around 1440p.

PlayStation 5 Launch-Day Sales Will Be Online-Only, Sony Confirms

So, why does this matter? Well, if you’re strictly a couch-and-TV gamer, it probably doesn’t. The vast majority of TVs are either 1080p or 4K, with 1440p screens being exceedingly rare. That said, 1440p screens are popular amongst a subset of PC gamers, so those looking to play their PS5 games on their monitor may be in for a less-than-optimal experience.

Oh well.  There's always the mClassic adapter to get around this.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1371 on: November 05, 2020, 10:37:21 AM »

What I love about DE; as WF has gotten bigger, the file size has gotten smaller. 
...Until this update of course. lawl
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 10:43:00 AM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: November 06, 2020, 10:04:33 AM »
https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/5/21551165/sony-ps5-playstation-5-no-m2-ssd-expansion-launch

While the PS5 features a dedicated internal slot that can theoretically fit standard stick-shaped M.2 SSDs and an easy way to access it, the slot will apparently be disabled out of the box. “[T]his is reserved for a future update,” Sony tells The Verge.

Not really an issue at launch, but worth noting.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1373 on: November 06, 2020, 10:05:04 AM »
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1374 on: November 06, 2020, 10:21:17 AM »
Guess I'm pretty happy I got a big PS4 game collection. BC looking pretty good this/next gen.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1375 on: November 06, 2020, 02:26:02 PM »
He custom painted his PS5 already and says it's super-easy, since the fins pop right off without any tools needed.  So that's an option if Sony stops people from selling replacement shell pieces.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:03:10 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1376 on: November 06, 2020, 03:39:32 PM »
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/playstation-vr-tested-on-ps5-it-works-fine-but-maybe-keep-your-ps4/?amp=1

TL;DR is you're going to want a USB hub for PSVR on PS5.

On the same day, Sony shipped a PlayStation Camera dongle (pictured above) to me as a member of the press. The dongle accepts the PS Camera's proprietary plug on one end, then feeds it to a USB Type-A 3.1 plug on the other.

The front-facing port can’t handle USB 3.1 speeds.

With this in hand, I pulled my tubby PS5 out of my entertainment center and began connecting cables. This is where I ran into my first problem. PS5 includes three USB Type-A ports, but only two of these, on the back of the console, are rated USB 3.1. (An additional front-facing USB Type-C port is rated for higher speeds, at least.) In comparison, PS4 Pro includes three USB 3.1 Type-A ports, along with a separate dedicated port for its camera.

I came to learn that the last-gen PlayStation Camera requires a USB 3.1 port—as does my external hard drive, which I currently use since PS5's 660GB of internal storage isn't enough for my entire library of next-gen, last-gen, and VR games. Neither of those devices will work plugged into the front-facing port; warning messages make clear that they require USB 3.1 speeds, which the front-facing port can't do. Thankfully, the PSVR processing box doesn't require that threshold of USB throughput.

Still, with three devices plugged in, that left me with zero USB Type-A ports left for things like charging or pairing controllers, or connecting the next-gen PlayStation HD Camera. The only way around this was to use a third-party USB Type A 3.1 hub, which thankfully could juggle two cameras, a hard drive, and the PSVR processing box.

PSVR on PS4 had its own special menus and interface that appeared when tapping the "PlayStation" button in the middle of a game. PS5 punts this interface and relies exclusively on the newly updated PS5 menu system. This isn't a deal-breaker to us, as we've yet to notice any functional differences as a result. But if you have gotten used to older PSVR menus for any reason, you have been warned.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 03:44:21 PM by bork »
ど助平

naff

« Reply #1377 on: November 06, 2020, 04:39:29 PM »

:whoo :miyamoto :ohhh :rejoice :obama

can't believe they spend minutes talking abt how good knack is   :lol

being rewarded for skipping a console gen :success
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1378 on: November 06, 2020, 06:36:03 PM »
pretty baffling they didn't market it a little better. huge selling point for casuals and people who play a lot of games alike "get the best version of all those games you didn't get around to playing, with a bunch of them available "free" with a ps+ sub"
◕‿◕

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #1379 on: November 06, 2020, 06:54:19 PM »
if you skipped a gen you are coming out golden. see you in 2021  :jeb