Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 191338 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1080 on: September 21, 2020, 12:44:46 AM »
I agree with you 100% and it will be interesting. Because I think Sony's approach with a heavy software focus works now and appeals to people like me.

But there is the fact that MS's subscription service and platform not being tied to specific hardware could be the way of the future. I mean even Apple knows that you can't keep content to just one little box.

So I think games are in an interesting spot.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1081 on: September 21, 2020, 12:52:25 AM »
gamepass might as well be xbox exclusive. no-one gives a shit on pc.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1082 on: September 21, 2020, 01:02:59 AM »
Well then I gotta ask you, what do you think would be top tier launch material? What do you expect from a launch?

Personal tastes aside, something that really screams "next-gen" and shows off what the system can do.  Something that isn't available on other platforms, either- sell people on the system.  "Also on PS4 and/or PC" doesn't do that.  I don't care for Horizon, but that sequel would have made one hell of a launch title, especially pre-PS4 cross-gen announcement.

Nintex made some good points and I think the types of system launches I like are probably long gone.  For Sony, I liked the Playstation 1 launch line-up at the time, but that was a) the American launch, where they had more time to get out more games, and b) a massive leap from the SNES and Genesis.  I also really liked the PSP and Vita launches.  Looking at those lists and thinking back, PS3 and PS4 didn't have good launches.  PS3 did get Motorstorm, Virtua Fighter 5, and Tekken 5 DR fairly quick (in Japan) after launch, at least.

PS3 also had at least a few more games, but nothing worth mentioning.  The big thing about Resistance at the time was the number of players who could play online- it allowed for 40 player matches, which IIRC was unheard of at the time on consoles.  Genji 2 sucked.  Ridge Racer 7 was also PS3-exclusive, although it felt very much like a RR6 upgrade. 

So let's look at that PS5 launch line-up:
Assassin’s Creed: Valhalla
Astro’s Playroom (Installed on every PS5)
Demon’s Souls (Remake)
Destiny 2: Beyond Light
Destruction All-Stars
Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
Godfall
Observer: System Redux
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Destruction All Stars
Spider-Man: Miles Morales

Let's adjust that for games only available on the PS5:
Astro’s Playroom (Installed on every PS5)
Demon’s Souls (Remake)
Destruction All-Stars

Three games- the rest are on PC and/or PS4.  That just doesn't scream "day one" to me.  Like I said, I'm not big on Souls.  I'm not really big on Spider-Man either, but I would get that and will likely get it on PS4. 

There's just not a big launch title that has me wanting one of these day one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 01:09:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1083 on: September 21, 2020, 01:04:37 AM »
gamepass might as well be xbox exclusive. no-one gives a shit on pc.
There's not as much as pc, and it's a hassle to switch which drive things download to. :doge
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: September 21, 2020, 01:14:55 AM »
Most of the hype surrounding the PS4 was about messaging, pricing, and it being a dedicated videogame console. $399.99, used games, games being the focal point behind the console's existence, that was a lot of momentum for launch. Especially compared to Microsoft, which nearly killed the Xbox brand in the span of months.

Yeah, that first E3(?) Xbone reveal is where they lost me.  I took a huge chunk of 360 games and one of my consoles and traded them in to cover the cost of a PS4 and a couple of games.  The funny thing is, I probably would have been happier with an Xbone at launch compared to the PS4- the Xbone had Titanfall (which I got on PC, but it didn't have crossplay and friends had it on Xbox) and Killer Instinct, at least.

Next gen for Sony and Microsoft is a very similar roadmap with Microsoft investing in more cutting edge software for game playing and distribution (xcloud and Game Pass), and Sony investing more into first party software.

The PS5 launch is the best Playstation launch regarding software (not
a hard feat) . 2021 will be very interesting for both new consoles regarding what comes out when.

I like what MS is doing, but to me the message they keep sending is "you don't need our console to play our games."  That's not a bad thing, but I dunno how that's going to work out for their hardware sales.  There's nothing on the Xbox consoles at this point that's actually exclusive to the system- you can't say that about the Playstation and Nintendo consoles.  That said, the Xbox Series S is priced incredibly well and combined with Game Pass, makes it very attractive.  Plus I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who are fine with just the big third-party games/multiplat titles and occasional Halo/Gears.
ど助平

naff

« Reply #1085 on: September 21, 2020, 01:15:12 AM »
I'm not big on Souls.

i mean.... yeah. that makes perfect sense. i wouldn't be bothering if i wasn't drooling over that ds trailer.
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: September 21, 2020, 01:21:04 AM »
If I hadn't just gotten into BallisticNG I'd be pretty pissed at no Wipeout and again fuck Sony for killing Liverpool.

...but I'm pretty good on Wipeout atm thanks to BallisticNG. Still would like a quality arcade racer although I'm hearing that Inertial Drift is the new Ridge Racer, so once I play that maybe I'm ok on arcade racers atm.

Have you checked out Redout?  It's another good Wipeout-style racer.

Also check out Hotshot Racing- it's like a new Sega arcade racer!
ど助平

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1087 on: September 21, 2020, 01:23:06 AM »
Well then I gotta ask you, what do you think would be top tier launch material? What do you expect from a launch?

Personal tastes aside, something that really screams "next-gen" and shows off what the system can do.  Something that isn't available on other platforms, either- sell people on the system.  "Also on PS4 and/or PC" doesn't do that.

Agreed.  Wii-U with Zombi U remains the last time a system had an exclusive launch game that really sold me on it.

That said, I'm still looking forward to eventually checking out how the Demon's Souls remake compares to the original.

Svejk

« Reply #1088 on: September 21, 2020, 08:16:25 AM »
I'm not big on Souls.

i mean.... yeah. that makes perfect sense. i wouldn't be bothering if i wasn't drooling over that ds trailer.

Personal tastes aside, something that really screams "next-gen" and shows off what the system can do.  Something that isn't available on other platforms, either- sell people on the system.  "Also on PS4 and/or PC" doesn't do that.

Agreed.  Wii-U with Zombi U remains the last time a system had an exclusive launch game that really sold me on it.

That said, I'm still looking forward to eventually checking out how the Demon's Souls remake compares to the original.

bork will have a PS5 by the end of the year..  :hitler  he'll find something to justify purchase (like we all do)....  My guess is that it'll be Street Fighter related.  :lucille  Wasn't SF suppose to be "improved" with the Dual Sense in mind?...  Or did I just dream that at some point?  :doge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1089 on: September 21, 2020, 11:01:16 AM »
bork will have a PS5 by the end of the year..  :hitler  he'll find something to justify purchase (like we all do)....  My guess is that it'll be Street Fighter related.  :lucille  Wasn't SF suppose to be "improved" with the Dual Sense in mind?...  Or did I just dream that at some point?  :doge

Nah and nah- you dreamed it.  Nothing with Street Fighter is happening (and using the stock pad for SF?  :yuck) on PS5 right now.  SFV is getting more new content through next summer on PS4 and PC.  I can see a port to PS5 happening, but I wouldn't go buy a system for that.

A new fighting game only on PS5 would certainly have my interest. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »
Sony announced a line of new projectors that don't have HDMI 2.1.

https://www.techradar.com/sg/amp/news/hdmi-21-isnt-necessary-for-ps5-says-sony-product-manager

We spoke with Christopher Mullins, Sony’s Digital & Home Cinema product manager, ahead of the announcement of Sony’s new high-end projector range, which includes a 10,000 lumens beamer called the VPL-GZ380.

“4K at 120Hz is… interesting, but actually with the next-gen consoles the baseline performance is to hit a really good native 4K/60Hz performance, and have that performance across many games.”

I do want to get a 4K/120hz monitor at some point (both for dual screen PC usage and for consoles), but I may just get a 4K 60hz monitor since the prices are much lower and I have a 1440P 144hz monitor anyway.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1091 on: September 21, 2020, 11:30:41 AM »
4k is a meme, haven't you heard :girlaff
(ice)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #1092 on: September 21, 2020, 04:35:53 PM »
 :dice

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #1093 on: September 21, 2020, 11:08:36 PM »
dual sense...

Svejk

« Reply #1094 on: September 22, 2020, 08:10:52 AM »
dual sense...
(Image removed from quote.)
This immediately came to mind...

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1095 on: September 22, 2020, 03:05:00 PM »
(available in both hooker disguise and towel)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1096 on: September 24, 2020, 08:12:31 PM »
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1097 on: September 24, 2020, 08:15:49 PM »
attn: rahx and anyone else still looking for a preorder

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/24/21454637/ps5-playstation5-preorder-restock-gamestop-date

I still think it's risky to pre-order anything at Gamestop in-store.  More store closures are happening soon.
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1098 on: September 24, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
Agreed but SIR I AM JUST A MESSENGER
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #1099 on: September 25, 2020, 07:01:44 AM »
Isn’t there a Gran Snorismo game that’s coming soon to the PS5?
🍆🍆

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1100 on: September 25, 2020, 07:19:36 AM »
There’s one coming by but knowing polyphony it won’t be soon :trumps
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:03:50 AM by Piss Benoit »
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1101 on: September 25, 2020, 03:47:00 PM »
HAWT TAEK: Gran Turismo is roughly equivalent to a disinterested handjob from someone that doesn't really know how dicks work
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1102 on: September 25, 2020, 04:01:30 PM »
Gran Turismo hasn't been interesting since the PS1/2 days for me so yeah
What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1103 on: September 25, 2020, 04:39:18 PM »
My onii-san secured me a PS5 preorder  :uguu
Margs

naff

« Reply #1104 on: September 27, 2020, 03:57:50 PM »
gran turismo 3 and ff x were my go to stoner core games in my teens. get ripped and chill. haven't played a gt game since, but I got p into forza on 360.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #1105 on: September 27, 2020, 03:59:17 PM »
getting ripped and having someone give you a disinterested hand job :aah
◕‿◕

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1106 on: September 27, 2020, 04:43:50 PM »
getting ripped and having someone give you a disinterested hand job :aah

Do you fuck up your lap time when you cum?
OH!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1107 on: September 30, 2020, 06:48:30 PM »

:larry
Remasters of PS4 games are really stretching it, especially since they had a mid gen console in between.
You need a looking glass to even see the differences (aside from Peter's face, obviously).
60fps seems to be the biggest get, but paying that kind of money for that, is really out of the question.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1108 on: September 30, 2020, 06:53:24 PM »
I hope it's more than ray tracing because i'm really not all that excited by that technology, in its current state.
Especially not by reflections, screen space was mostly fine by me.

Once we'll be able to handle all shadows/lighting through it (like that NVIDIA marble demo), it'll be as different story, but that's years away.

naff

« Reply #1109 on: September 30, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »
i mean, it's clear the ability to deliver more complex games with more detailed assets alongside higher resolutions, better framerate with better lighting is there. they are signficantly more powerful with a hugely improved ability to stream assets. making games that look "next gen" is def getting harder and more expensive though. that spidey "remaster" doesn't look or sound much better than the series x brute forcing improvements to xbone games.
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #1110 on: September 30, 2020, 11:03:54 PM »
I take it Insomniac didn't handle this "remaster"?

Bebpo

« Reply #1111 on: October 01, 2020, 12:59:28 AM »
It legit looks wore at times. Reminds me of the Gears remaster.

I'm assuming you mean those times we see Peter Parker's face.

Because otherwise uh, it's the same game but with RTX and 60fps.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1112 on: October 01, 2020, 03:24:26 AM »
It's like looking at a 4k blu ray versus a regular Blu ray. There is a subtle increased level of clarity. It's there, but it's not some amazing jump.

In Spider-man's case it looks more "realistic" looking. 60fps and lighting look better. Materials look more clear in their detail.

It's nice, but nothing that would really make me replay the game. Certainly not something I'd pay for.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1113 on: October 01, 2020, 04:02:41 AM »
It looks nicer, but not pay for this shit again pls :money nicer

:girlaff
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1114 on: October 01, 2020, 04:32:13 AM »
It's like looking at a 4k blu ray versus a regular Blu ray. There is a subtle increased level of clarity. It's there, but it's not some amazing jump.

In Spider-man's case it looks more "realistic" looking. 60fps and lighting look better. Materials look more clear in their detail.

It's nice, but nothing that would really make me replay the game. Certainly not something I'd pay for.
Doesn't help that, as i said, on PS4pro was already basically running in 4K (though through Insomniac upscaling tech) so even in terms of clarity, it's gonna be a hard sell.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1115 on: October 01, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »

Compare this shit to Demon's Souls, Halo Anniversary, or MGS:TTS where they basically rebuilt every single art asset in the game. This is like the difference between medium and high in a PC game.

I assume the Miles Morales game will look better if it's designed from the ground up for the PS5?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1116 on: October 01, 2020, 07:15:21 AM »

Compare this shit to Demon's Souls, Halo Anniversary, or MGS:TTS where they basically rebuilt every single art asset in the game. This is like the difference between medium and high in a PC game.

I assume the Miles Morales game will look better if it's designed from the ground up for the PS5?

It's still using the base of Spiderman for most of the asset, i assume, especially the city (even though it's in winter)
Also it's cross platform, so it's not built from the ground up for PS5.

But it has to be said that Remaster =/= Remake.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #1117 on: October 01, 2020, 10:02:42 AM »
I like how soyny aren’t even throwing people a ‘bone’ and saying ok it costs £/€/$10 for people who have the PS4 version to upgrade like I think acti are for call of duty :money
(ice)

kingv

« Reply #1118 on: October 01, 2020, 10:24:12 PM »
That Spider-Man game doesn’t really look... better.

The performance mode has less draw distance than the regular mode in ps4.... that is kind of weird

Like he’s on top of buildings and no cars on PS5  but there are cars on ps4

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1119 on: October 02, 2020, 03:24:30 AM »

The performance mode has less draw distance than the regular mode in ps4.... that is kind of weird

That's cause they're working from home in the remaster.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1120 on: October 02, 2020, 03:29:57 AM »
Also it's cross platform, so it's not built from the ground up for PS5.

But it has to be said that Remaster =/= Remake.

"Built from the ground up" is pretty much a myth.

Actual Spiderman 2 will look better for sure; but it's gonna use the same engine.. just a further upgraded one.
If i look at GTA Vice City or San Andreas, and then i look at GTA 4, i'd definitely think that GTA4 was built from the ground up NOT to run on PS2.
I think this is more or less what people picture when they think that.
But that kind of jump won't happen again.

kingv

« Reply #1121 on: October 02, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »

That's cause they're working from home in the remaster.

I would have thought that "exact same fidelity at 60FPS" should have been possible fairly easily on the new gen. It's just not a great showcase for PS5, IMO. I'm glad that miles joint is coming on PS4 too. I will get it there.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1122 on: October 03, 2020, 10:10:09 AM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1123 on: October 03, 2020, 10:16:23 AM »
They're reserving space for suspended games, I'm guessing. That better not be a fixed value.

nudemacusers

« Reply #1124 on: October 03, 2020, 11:42:18 AM »
just buy two PS5s

i'm sure everyone is taking this well and not theorycrafting scenarios in which the magic SSD somehow makes this not matter  :brain
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1125 on: October 03, 2020, 02:14:10 PM »
just buy two PS5s

Just buy a Switch and a gaming PC  :playa
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #1126 on: October 03, 2020, 08:10:59 PM »
If that holds true I’m good waiting for a revision with larger base storage capacity.

naff

« Reply #1127 on: October 03, 2020, 08:59:34 PM »
I mean, they're really between a rock and a hard place here technologically. Storage is relatively cheap af now for what was cutting edge 5 years ago, but they're all "we have the most incredible SSDs ever!" so, er, storage is not super cheap. Would bet it's years before the base model is available with a bigger hdd by default. I wonder what their support for shunting game files between a larger external drive and the internal ssd will be like.
◕‿◕

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1128 on: October 03, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »
Sounds like the PS5 is hot garbage. Imagine trying to manage the digital only version of this fuckin thing when ISPs have cap limits on bandwidth usage.
Hi

Let's Cyber

« Reply #1129 on: October 03, 2020, 09:27:29 PM »
I'm definitely getting an external hard-drive for my PS4 games.

:nope Wasting SSD space on last gen games.

naff

« Reply #1130 on: October 03, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »
Sounds like the PS5 is hot garbage. Imagine trying to manage the digital only version of this fuckin thing when ISPs have cap limits on bandwidth usage.

lol wut, capped limits are still a thing in the US?

if you don't have the capacity to go digital (eg a fast uncapped Internet connection) uh, it'd be kinda weird to buy the digital only version no?
◕‿◕

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1131 on: October 04, 2020, 02:58:38 AM »

if you don't have the capacity to go digital (eg a fast uncapped Internet connection) uh, it'd be kinda weird to buy the digital only version no?

Typical data cap is around 1 TB per month. And it's expensive + slow = expenslow.

But honestly, you should just plan to get an external HDD with any of these next-gen consoles. You don't want to rely on a Bluray drive or expenslow internet pipes to install anything. You can transfer a 50 GB game from a 7200 RPM HDD to the SSD in like 10 minutes versus at least an hour by disk/internet.

Svejk

« Reply #1132 on: October 04, 2020, 01:18:14 PM »
I'm definitely getting an external hard-drive for my PS4 games.

:nope Wasting SSD space on last gen games.
I may do the same...  My 5TB external drive is ready..

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #1133 on: October 04, 2020, 02:06:22 PM »
External drives are also getting to the point of being super cheap. My 4tb external was on sale for $60 in 2018.
OH!

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1134 on: October 04, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »

Typical data cap is around 1 TB per month. And it's expensive + slow = expenslow.

But honestly, you should just plan to get an external HDD with any of these next-gen consoles. You don't want to rely on a Bluray drive or expenslow internet pipes to install anything. You can transfer a 50 GB game from a 7200 RPM HDD to the SSD in like 10 minutes versus at least an hour by disk/internet.

1tb data cap in rhe us?

What the f

Savages

Rahxephon91

« Reply #1135 on: October 04, 2020, 03:02:41 PM »
Are we even sure you can use external HDDs for PS5 games? Wouldn't it have to be an external SSD? And maybe won't it be system specific like Xbox where it's $200 just for 1tb. It also would be nice if it's not like the PS4, where you can only use one external at a time.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:31:16 PM by Rahxephon91 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1136 on: October 04, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
So did Japanese youtubers show [anything] about this machine?
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1137 on: October 04, 2020, 04:30:35 PM »
Are we even sure you can use external HDDs for PS5 games? Wouldn't it have to be an external SSD? And maybe won't it be system specific like Xbox where it's $200 just for 1tb. It also would be nice if it's not like the PS4, where you can only use one external at a time.

Am not sure if they've confirmed if external hard drives will work for playing PS5 games yet.  The internal SSD can be replaced, however it requires a specific type and AFAIK Sony hasn't said what will work yet. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:38:12 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1138 on: October 04, 2020, 04:32:58 PM »
So did Japanese youtubers show [anything] about this machine?

This guy played Astro’s Playroom, Godfall, Balan Wonderworld, and Devil May Cry 5 SE.

This video also has a link to some more in the description:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcnma5xwA44

Edit: more videos/info:
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/ps5-japanese-hands-on-videos-videos-astros-playroom-balan-wonderworld-devil-may-cry-5-special-edition-and-godfall
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1139 on: October 04, 2020, 04:39:34 PM »
Nobody cares about gameplay. Any talk about BC, how that works? The UI? Anything?
fat