Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 36058 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
the dutch have a direct supply  :curious

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
do you gotta have light up RAM to use one of these

:neogaf

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
do you gotta have light up RAM to use one of these

:neogaf

RGB ram runs faster, EVERYONE KNOWS THIS
yar

Tuckers Law

I gave up, fuck this shit.  Ordered an overclocked rtx 2060 to replace my ancient r9 380, I’ll just replace that with a newer card once I’m not having to use a fucking botnet to get a new card below scalper prices.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I might jump on a good black friday deal for a 3800XT or something but I'm still in HOLD THE LINE mode for the 5600X or 5800X for now.
Surely stock must arrive soon  :tocry
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
AAAWWW YISSS

Snagged a 5800X should be here tommorow.

Now to collect the rest of the parts of this new beast  :rejoice
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Congrats boi,after I sell this 1060 im also gonna order one

Need a new mobo tho or might just wait to see if they patch the x470
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Congrats boi,after I sell this 1060 im also gonna order one

Need a new mobo tho or might just wait to see if they patch the x470
Some brands have already started patching, I think it was MSI or Asus that patched the B450 already.
X470 patches if they're doing that should show up for sure early next year.

Just ordered all the other parts, ~1500 Euro PC ugprade  :whew  :rejoice
Everything is getting replaced but the 2070 Super, 3 SSD's, 3 HDD's and Fractal case.

All that money saved up from no gas expenses and not being able to go out for bi-weekly dinners :corona_rodney
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I gave up, fuck this shit.  Ordered an overclocked rtx 2060 to replace my ancient r9 380, I’ll just replace that with a newer card once I’m not having to use a fucking botnet to get a new card below scalper prices.
It's a fine little card. I have a 2060S and will use it until it claps out on me (or I can get double the perf for <300€ :doge).

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Yeah for 1080p and 1440p the 2060 is fine on high/console like settings and it does DLSS which makes it all the better.
Also some of the coming RTX updates like RTX I/O will also be supported on the 2000-series.
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
happy to see all our kings ascending.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Getting ready for Cyberpunk bois

yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
My new build has unleashed the 2070 Super and removed the bottleneck.  :rejoice

Before @1440p:
- Load times: 15 - 20s
- Intro / airfield: 40 - 60fps
- Vietnam: 20 - 30fps
- CPU temp: 80c

After @1440p:
- Load times: 2 - 4s
- Intro / airfield: 90 - 120fps
- Vietnam: 60 - 100fps
- CPU temp: 56c (loading) / 40c (gameplay)

That's with the recommended Nvidia settings (Ray Tracing set to high and some things on Ultra)
All micro stutters gone, all frame skips gone, all slow UI interactions gone  :whoo

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/53435570

can probably crank that score up a few points if I close all background apps but I'm statisfied my PC is faster than 90% of the other gaming PC's in the world.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
damn I want a 5800x as well, but I would have to upgrade my mobo as well :(

The x470 doesnt support 5000 series GPU's yet... they did patch in support for 3000 series, so they might patch in support for 5000 series as well?

Btw Nintex I already have 32GB ram..sadly I cant get it to run above 2666mhz..even though its a 3000mhz kit.
What

Coax

I already have 32GB ram..sadly I cant get it to run above 2666mhz..even though its a 3000mhz kit.

I suppose you've already looked into your motherboard's UEFI/BIOS settings for an XMP profile setting? As that's where it's normally configured.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
My new build has unleashed the 2070 Super and removed the bottleneck.  :rejoice

Before @1440p:
- Load times: 15 - 20s
- Intro / airfield: 40 - 60fps
- Vietnam: 20 - 30fps
- CPU temp: 80c

After @1440p:
- Load times: 2 - 4s
- Intro / airfield: 90 - 120fps
- Vietnam: 60 - 100fps
- CPU temp: 56c (loading) / 40c (gameplay)

That's with the recommended Nvidia settings (Ray Tracing set to high and some things on Ultra)
All micro stutters gone, all frame skips gone, all slow UI interactions gone  :whoo

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/53435570

can probably crank that score up a few points if I close all background apps but I'm statisfied my PC is faster than 90% of the other gaming PC's in the world.

we cant all be in the 10%

What

BikeJesus

Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Xtreme ready for pick-up at Canada Computers. Grabbing it after work! The notification text said to pick it up within 3 days or the order world be cancelled. Motherfucker, I already paid in full.

Hope this 4 slot pig fits ok.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Gigabyte Aorus 3080 Xtreme ready for pick-up at Canada Computers. Grabbing it after work! The notification text said to pick it up within 3 days or the order world be cancelled. Motherfucker, I already paid in full.

Hope this 4 slot pig fits ok.

:rash
🤴

BikeJesus

Lego swag bracket B)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:26:09 PM by BikeJesus »

BikeJesus

I put my 2080 Super on Facebook marketplace for $800 Canadian and it was sold and picked up at my work in 90 minutes. My 3080 xtreme was $1100 so i paid $300 for the upgrade. Pretty happy with that.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

Lego swag bracket B)
Is that the Aorus Master  :whew

I might get a 3080 Ti in January  :mynicca
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:40:08 AM by Nintex »
🤴

BikeJesus

Lego swag bracket B)
Is that the Aorus Master  :whew

I might get a 3080 Ti in January  :mynicca

No it's the Xtreme! Better than the master. Figured i might as well get the best one.

Tycoon Padre

The unbreakable 3060 mining lock has been defeated already :vr

Literally all you need to do is download the developer driver from Nvidia's website :dead

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Was in one of my local Microcenters this weekend for some random shit and you still can't fucking find any of the new cards, lol
yar

Beezy

Are prebuilt PCs still a thing? I guess I could check my local Microcenter.

My niece wants a gaming PC for her 13th birthday next month and I thought about building one for her, but I haven't been following this shit for about 5 years now and I see even old GPUs are selling at ridiculous prices nowadays. I figured prebuilt just might be a way to avoid all this nonsense. I wanted to get/build her something for around $800 or less with a decent CPU and a weak/cheap GPU that she could swap out later on. I might build a new PC end of this year or early next year, so I could give her my GTX1070 at that point.

She already has a mouse, keyboard, headphones, and just got a decent 1080p monitor for Christmas, so all that's needed is the PC itself. Let me know if there's a better thread to ask this.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:38:26 AM by Beezy »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Prebuilt would be decent but also probably more expensive than buying one yourself.

GPU's are sadly through the roof right now. I bought my 3070 in November for 649..they are going for 1200 right about now. Insanity.
What

Beezy

My nephew is trying to get a 1070Ti for now which he says is going for $300-500. He plans on mining with it to offset the cost until he can save up for a 3070 at whatever resale price they're going for. I told him to just start entering the newegg raffles so he can get a new GPU at retail cost sometime this year, but he's being impatient about starting his build. Oh well, his choice. Fuck mining.

Tycoon Padre

If he's going to spend that much and wants to mine that's a shitty choice anyway, he should be looking at a 1660 Ti or Super for the power efficiency :snob

Beezy

He's just trying to save until he can get a 3070 later this year. He's older, I'm not worried about him. My niece is the issue right now.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Are prebuilt PCs still a thing? I guess I could check my local Microcenter.

My niece wants a gaming PC for her 13th birthday next month and I thought about building one for her, but I haven't been following this shit for about 5 years now and I see even old GPUs are selling at ridiculous prices nowadays. I figured prebuilt just might be a way to avoid all this nonsense. I wanted to get/build her something for around $800 or less with a decent CPU and a weak/cheap GPU that she could swap out later on. I might build a new PC end of this year or early next year, so I could give her my GTX1070 at that point.

She already has a mouse, keyboard, headphones, and just got a decent 1080p monitor for Christmas, so all that's needed is the PC itself. Let me know if there's a better thread to ask this.

I mean for $800 it sounds like what you'd need from your description is "just" cpu, gpu, ram, power supply, and case, plus potentially a cooling option depending on what processor you get.

I farted around on part picker and was putting together a decent-ish system but the issue is that when you get to graphics cards... there's fucking NOTHING right now. Like, not even 1660s or the AMD equivalent low to mid tier shit.

It sucks but I would recommend looking at prebuilt systems for that price range that you could just pick up locally at Microcenter or even (ugh) Best Buy or whatever.
yar

Beezy

I have a GTX 780 I think lying around. Maybe that would be okay for now? It would be better than her dying laptop. She's mainly been playing Genshin Impact, Roblox, Minecraft, and Sims, but she plays just about anything. Bayonetta and Saints Row 3 are two of her favorites.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 04:01:27 PM by Beezy »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
She's not gonna be able to play stuff on ultra with a 780 probably but yeah that's better than a laptop with I'm assuming integrated graphics that sounds like it's pretty old anyway.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Have a catastrophic hardware failure in the middle of a global chip shortage paired with renewed crypto crazy, bruhs

:fbm
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Same, either my PSU or my motherboard is dead/dying.

PC wont turn on unless I flip the PSU switch on and off  ??? RAM lights up but nothing happens.

Gonna bring it to a PC shop to get it fixed tomorrow, cant be assed to test everything myself.

At least a PSU or a mobo isnt too costly, hopefully its the PSU. Right now I have the PC on for 2 days and I just havent turned it off.
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
long shot but try replacing your cmos battery in the mobo first. if that doesn't work does sound much more likely to be your PSU. i'd replace it and just make sure you can return it if that doesn't solve the issue, they'll charge you the cost of a mobo or psu to do the work when it would only take an hour of your time
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

PC wont turn on unless I flip the PSU switch on and off  ??? RAM lights up but nothing happens.

Gonna bring it to a PC shop to get it fixed tomorrow, cant be assed to test everything myself.

At least a PSU or a mobo isnt too costly, hopefully its the PSU. Right now I have the PC on for 2 days and I just havent turned it off.
Did you remove your RTX 3070 when you brought it in?

I mean, how much do you trust those people :doge
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator

Did you remove your RTX 3070 when you brought it in?

I mean, how much do you trust those people :doge

Heh no im not planning to remove my 3070 when I bring it in, which will be tomorrow.. its just a regular computer store Levix
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
long shot but try replacing your cmos battery in the mobo first. if that doesn't work does sound much more likely to be your PSU. i'd replace it and just make sure you can return it if that doesn't solve the issue, they'll charge you the cost of a mobo or psu to do the work when it would only take an hour of your time

Yeah but to replace the psu I have to rewire everything myself right? I had a guy help me out put the pc together 😬
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
That's easy, just a bit tedious to do it tidily.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
So u guys are saying I should just replace the PSU myself but first check the CMOS battery? Thats just a normal CR2025 battery right? I think I have those lying around..

If that doesnt work replace the MOBO?
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
So u guys are saying I should just replace the PSU myself but first check the CMOS battery? Thats just a normal CR2025 battery right? I think I have those lying around..

If that doesnt work replace the MOBO?
Buy a Fractal Design ION PSU.

The cables are as flexible as Riley Reid and it's almost silent  :whew
Also they've labeled all the cables.

Pro tip take a couple of photo's before you pull the cables out to see where what goes.
🤴

naff

Yeah but to replace the psu I have to rewire everything myself right? I had a guy help me out put the pc together 😬

you could buy the same one and if ur supply is modular unplug the cables at the old psu end and plug them into the new psu hopefully without having to unseat it for a quick test. if you get a different psu swap. out the cables, they look the same but different manufacturers psu cables or even within the same company but different model don't work between psu's.

you should def just do it anyway. there are prob only 4 cables to plug in: motherboard, cpu, gpu, sata drives. easier than a 3+ lego set.
◕‿◕

naff

also yeah, replace your CMOS battery first. or at least take it out and leave it for a while to clear the CMOS (effectively resetting your bios) then replace it and see if that fixes your issue first. path of least resistance.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025368/processors.html
◕‿◕

naff

kicking myself for not going against the grain and getting a 6800 when they were cheap. rdna2 platform is coming along and great at 1440p. 3070s were going for more than 6800s here and i nearly picked one up the other day. alas all sold out now :(

edit (all in nzd = 71c on the dollar):

rtx 3080 order: early july - $2500

rtx 3070: in stock at a place a few mins walk away - $1750

6800 xt order: early june - $1500

whoa, people are really dark on rdna2 huh. take away the few games that implement dlss and rt well though and you have the 6800 xt performing on par with the 3080 (@1440p which is where im at on pc). https://www.techspot.com/review/2191-geforce-rtx-3080-vs-radeon-6800-xt/

what to do.....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:03:17 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
kicking myself for not going against the grain and getting a 6800 when they were cheap. rdna2 platform is coming along and great at 1440p. 3070s were going for more than 6800s here and i nearly picked one up the other day. alas all sold out now :(

edit (all in nzd = 71c on the dollar):

rtx 3080 order: early july - $2500

rtx 3070: in stock at a place a few mins walk away - $1750

6800 xt order: early june - $1500

whoa, people are really dark on rdna2 huh. take away the few games that implement dlss and rt well though and you have the 6800 xt performing on par with the 3080 (@1440p which is where im at on pc). https://www.techspot.com/review/2191-geforce-rtx-3080-vs-radeon-6800-xt/

what to do.....
At this point if you're in the market for a new GPU get whatever is available at a decent price RTX 2000/3000 or AMD 5000/6000 series.
Or try your luck with the next new release.

There's a rumor that Nvidia might be bringing the GTX 1080 Ti back because there's far less demand for 16nm parts.
Someone send in an RMA and received a GPU produced in 2021.

We're at a point that the US government has asked Taiwan to help out with the car chip shortage and I noticed RAM prices are now shooting up as well.
🤴

Beezy

We're at a point that the US government has asked Taiwan to help out with the car chip shortage and I noticed RAM prices are now shooting up as well.
I'll never get to build a new PC. :'(

naff

wait, i just checked 'murcan prices on newegg. are 6800xt's really going for 3 g's atm?  :lol
◕‿◕

Beezy

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I had to buy a laptop for work and shelled out a grand for one with a fucking 2060 and a quad core processor

:fbm

I need to consult a more potent and knowledgeable nerd to determine if my desktop situation is well and truly fucked
yar

MMaRsu

• Administrator

you could buy the same one and if ur supply is modular unplug the cables at the old psu end and plug them into the new psu hopefully without having to unseat it for a quick test. if you get a different psu swap. out the cables, they look the same but different manufacturers psu cables or even within the same company but different model don't work between psu's.

you should def just do it anyway. there are prob only 4 cables to plug in: motherboard, cpu, gpu, sata drives. easier than a 3+ lego set.

Thx I think Ill do that.. issue is I have had the pc running for 4 days straight now and kinda dont wanna turn it off lmao.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
https://www.megekko.nl/product/0/1117441/Cooler-Master-MWE-Gold-650-Full-Modular-V2?r=scoupz.nl&utm_source=scoupz&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hNwrSjsNhQYRIXJSTfnmkn9DSCa1iTqDA1ODcWGxWyR-yNnymkIn5YaAk-kEALw_wcB

I have a coolermaster 650 gold MWE full mdoular

But those arent available anywhere, just the same one but its called V2.

So just changing the unit will probably not work have to rewire too right?
What

naff

lol, idk man. i'd ask coolermaster support. you don't want to mix and match psu cables, even with the same supplier can be risky as they might be different fab lines or factories between models etc https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2702-psa-on-mixing-modular-psu-cables-dont-do-it

i'd just switch the cables over if i was getting a different model supply. it's just good practice. and throw out your old ones so you don't get confused if you ever need to add another cable for some new drives or something
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
edit: I should have kept reading. :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Ehm in the past two days I discovered that if I unplug my front USB extension hub on the front of the case which powers my K95 RBG Corsair and CM310 mouse, the PC boots as normal without having to flip the PSU switch  ??? ???

Could that be the problem then? Maybe some bios setting? The USB rail getting too much voltage?

??? ??? please halp so I dont needlessly install a PSU into my pc
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Wiring that shit is super easy.

Literally the only thing that could go wrong is that you forget a cable. And to prevent that just take a picture of the current situation. You can't break anything.

Just get a Fractal Design PSU with labeled and flexible cables and do it.

Unless that USB ext is broken it's the PSU. My guess is It can't take that 3070 anymore.
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Ehm in the past two days I discovered that if I unplug my front USB extension hub on the front of the case which powers my K95 RBG Corsair and CM310 mouse, the PC boots as normal without having to flip the PSU switch  ??? ???

Could that be the problem then? Maybe some bios setting? The USB rail getting too much voltage?

have you updated your bios to the latest firmware?

MMaRsu

• Administrator

Im not sure that I have but I also havent changed anything since it started doing this.

I dont want to spend 125 on a new PSU if I dont have to so maybe I have to trouble shoot this
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
How much watt is that PSU you're using?
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe

Im not sure that I have but I also havent changed anything since it started doing this.

I dont want to spend 125 on a new PSU if I dont have to so maybe I have to trouble shoot this

you might be using some OG version of a BIOS that has a bunch of bugs in it. a firmware update is the first thing i'd look into.