Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 14425 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
I think the list is pretty on par with the games that had DLSS when that launched

:yeshrug

FarCry 6 and RE Village are pretty big games that will be getting it at some point soon, and apparently it's pretty easy to implement. Will be interested to see if Cyberjank 2077 gets it.
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
sure, but as of right now it has very little support but yeah i mean, seems a great launch relative to DLSS which was shovelware until 2.0. i am definitely interested in comparisons and when i do eventually upgrade i'll prob be getting the 6800xt whatever i can find that seems an ok deal  :lol. hopefully btc keeps getting crushed and the market is flooded with miners

edit: just checked and it seems there's already a bunch of miner cards being put up  :doge my 1070 i bought years ago was an ex miner i copped for a little under 200usd. still going strong
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:58:29 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

2nd hand 2080ti for $850 cop or not? (has warranty)
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Ehhhhh if you knew it hadn't been used to mine I'd say get it but good luck knowing that
yar

remy

• The abominable Hoeman
I heard being a miner card isn't even that bad because most of the time people are cooling them properly/not blasting them at high temps because they want them to be stable.

naff

I heard being a miner card isn't even that bad because most of the time people are cooling them properly/not blasting them at high temps because they want them to be stable.

my 4 year old 1070 is an old mining card i bought off a local trading site. showed up with cash and dude handed it to me in an old shopping bag. still works great 8) that's the silicon lottery for you

built a new machine over the weekend but haven't had much time to play with it this week. lf to the weekend. specs; 5800x - only $70 more than the 5600x whereas 5900x was $450 more here - 5800x be unpopular because it's weird and not much better for gaming, but is better for compute and i'd already bought an aio cooler, 8/16 threads more future proof than 6/12, slightly better single core clocks etc and a 3080 gigabyte eagle rev 2 all in a p500a case. only rgb is on some deeply discounted ram i couldn't say no to (corsair vengeance 3600 cl18) and the gpu. was going to disable the rgb then i actually found a fine basic use for it - turning brightness way down and pairing the colour of the dimms to gpu temperature sensors so they're light purple normally with a "rain" pattern and increase to brighter orange and turquoise when the gpu is over 70c and red when 85+.

ran a few stress tests and couldn't get anything to go very hot - gpu peaked ~80c and the cpu ~76c at peak. big thing i think messes people up with the 5800x is the default TDP is waaaay too high. i modified the TDP of the cpu closer to what amd recommend in their specs but don't have set by default for whatever reason (142 down to 112 watts). kinda fucked up they do this, but whatever, meant i got a relatively cheap CPU partially because people report this cpu running so damn hot and it being a bad buy and the "odd one in the middle" with "no strong use case" between the 5600 and 5900x :p got peak temps down from ~85c to ~75 at peak load with fans nearly silent. actually improved single core performance too which is also weird af. might try bump up the wattage a little as i have a beefy ekwb 360 aio cooler, but yeah, p whack default settings by amd. look into undervolting if you have this cpu
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 08:50:15 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

I actually don't disagree the 5800x is a hard cpu to justify, but it's not "bad" it just has bad out of the box settings. 5600x is more efficient though and 100% all you need for gaming/general productivity and the 5900x is way better for big rendering / compilation workloads. I like the middle tier jack of all trades bracket tho
◕‿◕

Nintex

• #freefiller
I got the 5800x because it was the only one available at the time plus it is a bit better for productivity. With that said you can't really go wrong with any ~$300 CPU. Intel i7 10th or 11 gen runs 99.9% of the games just as good.

I must say that it took until 2 weeks ago for the B550 platform to become stable though.

My temps are fine though. ~73 at peak or so
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
ran a few stress tests and couldn't get anything to go very hot - gpu peaked ~80c and the cpu ~76c at peak. big thing i think messes people up with the 5800x is the default TDP is waaaay too high. i modified the TDP of the cpu closer to what amd recommend in their specs but don't have set by default for whatever reason (142 down to 112 watts). kinda fucked up they do this, but whatever, meant i got a relatively cheap CPU partially because people report this cpu running so damn hot and it being a bad buy and the "odd one in the middle" with "no strong use case" between the 5600 and 5900x :p got peak temps down from ~85c to ~75 at peak load with fans nearly silent. actually improved single core performance too which is also weird af. might try bump up the wattage a little as i have a beefy ekwb 360 aio cooler, but yeah, p whack default settings by amd. look into undervolting if you have this cpu
The various power limits (PPT, TDC, and EDC) are set by the motherboard maker. The defaults might not be stock if they're being particularly cheeky. Gotta get those extra pixels on the benchmark graph. ::)

Your cooling is top notch. These chips just run hot by design. Even the temps you were getting before are within expectations, though improved single core perf (boosts higher for longer, due to lower overall temp) is nice. If you want to run something at 240Hz, it's worth keeping in mind.

Coax

I like the comment of 'People could totally tell, it was just never confirmed'... and then the follow-up comments clarify only one scene in the entire presentation was fully CG and it's the obvious one where he disintegrates and the set folds away :doge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Uggggh I got selected for a 3070ti in the Newegg shuffle. It's not really THAT much of an upgrade over the 6700 I have, tho. Think I'll pass.
yar

Beezy

Uggggh I got selected for a 3070ti in the Newegg shuffle. It's not really THAT much of an upgrade over the 6700 I have, tho. Think I'll pass.
Ask a friend if they've been trying to get one and sell it to them at cost then. These things are still hard to get. How much is it?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
It's in a bundle with a motherboard for like $1160
yar

Nintex

• #freefiller
Hoard everything that has chips bois

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Tech/Semiconductors/TSMC-hikes-chip-prices-up-to-20-amid-supply-shortage

TSMC hikes chip prices up to 20% amid supply shortage

The golden age of cheap technology is over :fbm
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Ugh, goddamnit. Best Buy has a bunch of founders edition RTX cards in store tomorrow, but the only stores in Georgia that are getting any are in Augusta and Savannah, which are like all the way on the coast, 3-4 hours away from me. Fuck that.

I wish 6800xts actually existed but they basically never show up even in the Newegg Shuffle. TBH I'm thinking about going down from a 4k monitor to 1440p for my main gaming screen to stretch the life of this 6700xt I have.
yar

Beezy

5600 and 5800 are both on sale. Most reviews I've seen recommend the 5600, but the 5800 is only $50 more. They also mention that the 5600 comes with a cooler, but I haven't seen anyone mention if it's actually good or not, so I think I'll go with the 5800.

I thought about going with the new Intel CPUs, but apparently the mobos for it are expensive right now?

Nintex

• #freefiller
5600 and 5800 are both on sale. Most reviews I've seen recommend the 5600, but the 5800 is only $50 more. They also mention that the 5600 comes with a cooler, but I haven't seen anyone mention if it's actually good or not, so I think I'll go with the 5800.

I thought about going with the new Intel CPUs, but apparently the mobos for it are expensive right now?
I got the 5800X mainly for the additional cores. As a consumer you don't buy a CPU for 12 months (like the tech Tubers) and the 2 extra cores will matter in the long run.

The new Intel CPU's are a bit better but in the CPU space you're talking about 120fps vs. 130fps or 65fps vs 70fps depending on the game and that is if you don't have a GPU bottleneck.
By the time your 5800X can't keep up, neither can the Intel i7 12. The Xbox Series X / PS5 basically run on the 3700X so you're good for this generation (and most likely the next).
🤴

Beezy

Anything that I need to look out for when it comes to mobos and ram? You already mentioned on the last page that I should stay away from Gigabyte mobos.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
I picked up a 5600X recently because it was on sale and it's been fantastic, but if you can afford the 5800 then go for it for the extra cores. I was upgrading from a 3570k so it's already a huge improvement. Really depends on the price gap between the two though and what you're willing to spend.
itm

Nintex

• #freefiller
Anything that I need to look out for when it comes to mobos and ram? You already mentioned on the last page that I should stay away from Gigabyte mobos.
Yeah, I had a difficult time with mine but they've fixed most of the issues with the B550 platform after a couple of BIOS updates.

Any of the bigger brands (MSI/ASUS) will do. I know a lot of folks like ASUS for their build quality and features but those are usually a bit more expensive though.
Gigabyte is hit and miss, cheaper and overall good parts when it comes to hardware (especially for the price) but they haven't figured out the QA or UX for some of their products.
For GPU's this is less of an issue (as you use the Nvidia drivers anyway) for motherboards with specific chipsets and a mix of utilities though...
🤴