Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 36412 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
How much watt is that PSU you're using?

rn i have Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Full Modular and I just bought a Seasonic Focus GX-750 Gold, which I have here right now, the point is I can still send it back and if its not the PSU thats the issue but just some weird bios setting or the actual USB hub thats causing my PC to shit around then I might not need to build that in there
What

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
did you try updating the firmware on your board or just resetting the CMOS by removing the battery? figured you'd do that before trying a whole new psu
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
I did not do those yet, I will try to to that today.

Could the USB extension hub just be faulty? Should I try plugging it into a different port and see if its still the same?

PC doesnt boot with USB hub plugged into front USB port
PC does boot with it not plugged in, and I plug it in and it works fine when the pc is on.
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Buy a new PC plug it in and see if it breaks it. :trumps
🤴

naff

Could the USB extension hub just be faulty? Should I try plugging it into a different port and see if its still the same?

Yes and yes. Sounds like ur hub just has a bent pin. Mobo will detect if it's causing a short and not power on :p
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Took apart my pc after updating mobo, ssd, psu, and cpu and basically rewired it, checked each individual dimm by running off one stick only for at least 30 minutes, and *knock on wood* everything is working now. Maybe I had a loose connection somewhere or something, but I've been able to update windows and the drivers on my 1080ti (praise be unto Allah that fucker is still in working order considering everything going on) so in another day or two, I can start using this laptop as a back up solution only, which is good because a 4 core intel laptop cpu is not ideal in the year of our lord, 2021.
yar

naff

need an update on whether mmarsu bought a new pc to test his usb hub
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
The pc had been working the past two weeks, just had to not plug in the usb hub while booting up.

Now I just came home, turned it on and had no screen. Restarted the pc and now it doesnt turn on at all anymore. Lights flash for 1 sec but nothing happens.

Fuck

Mobo or psu?
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Fuck it just gonna bring it to the pc shop, they can diagnose it for me. Could be anything.. mobo /psu 🤷🏼‍♂️ i dunno but im sad now. Wanted to play apex and continue editing

Wont be able to play apex on the 4th now either argh
What

Tuckers Law

Hopefully just the PSU  :-\

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Sounds like a dead PSU to me.

Also makes sense it was probably pushed too far already given the USB issues.
It is really quite bad for your PC in general to keep using a faulty PSU.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Well its back 🥳 with a new 750 watt PSU 🥳

Just in time for Apex Legends Legacy Season 🥳🥳🥳
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Congrats now make sure they did not swap out that 3070 for a 1070
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
No but my bios got reset so I have to make sure it put my memory to 1333mhz again

Dunno why but the XMP profiles on my board just dont seem to work. They are 3000mhz sticks I believe but they wont go higher than 2666mhz
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
No but my bios got reset so I have to make sure it put my memory to 1333mhz again

Dunno why but the XMP profiles on my board just dont seem to work. They are 3000mhz sticks I believe but they wont go higher than 2666mhz
Ryzen 2000-series maxes out at 2933 mhz. XMP support is hit and miss on that generation of chipsets too.
Most common solution is to manually overclock the RAM and set the timings but that seems quite a hassle for a +/- 300 mhz memory overlock.

Not sure what board or chipset you're on but I would just pick up a cheap 3600 if you can find one.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
im on a 2600x on a msi 470 gaming x plus whatever board

a 3600 isnt worth the money Id pay for it I think, performance wise
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Because of how the market is currently fucked you can probably buy a 3600 for 199 but sell that 2600x for ~150 or so  :lol
On the other hand if the BIOS update for your board is out there you might as well get a brand new 5600x for 300.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO#support-cpu

According to this it doesnt support it (yet?) So yeah
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X470-GAMING-PRO#support-cpu

According to this it doesnt support it (yet?) So yeah
All the way at the bottom there's a beta BIOS.
Not sure how MSI handles those, Gigabyte has given me PTBUD (post traumatic bios update disorder)
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Oh you're right at the bottom its there. Ill just wait, dont have the money yet anyway
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
I have the Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC

Great card! Cant imagine this one being much worse
What

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Gigabyte generally makes good cards, I would snag that if you can at all. Jealous, I keep entering for 3060ti, 3070, 3080, and various AMD cards and can't ever get a win. Congrats!

The mobo I would sell on ebay or whatever just because I hate micro ATX as a form factor unless you're specifically building in a micro case, but I would never try to do that because I have sausage fingers and need space to maneuver around in when building.
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
As someone who got the B550 Master, stay away from Gigabyte Mobo's   :doge

That GPU is hot shit. They often have the highest clocked models too.

My Aorus 2070 Super Rev 1.0 runs at like 1950 mhz. They lowered that for Rev 2.0 to 1800mhz probably because it made the 2080 obsolete but damn.  :whew
🤴

Beezy

Gigabyte generally makes good cards, I would snag that if you can at all. Jealous, I keep entering for 3060ti, 3070, 3080, and various AMD cards and can't ever get a win. Congrats!

The mobo I would sell on ebay or whatever just because I hate micro ATX as a form factor unless you're specifically building in a micro case, but I would never try to do that because I have sausage fingers and need space to maneuver around in when building.
I just kept entering for the 3070 and 3080 cards. It's been weeks now. Of course I finally get one during the month that I planned to keep my spending down. ::)

I read some reviews for the mobo and it seems too difficult to work with if you have a full sized card.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It took them 3 bios updates to fix my USB ports. The second I had to reverse ASAP because it disabled the CPU fans  :doge
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
*checks email*

FUCK YEAH FINALY GOT SELECTED IN THE NEWEGG SHUFFLE

*reads email*

ah shit it's for a 6700xt

(I mean I'm still gonna buy it, might flip it tho)
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Aw shit, the AMD equivalent of DLSS is rolling out NEXT MONTH, and will eventually hit the next gen consoles since they're both running on RDNA2. AMD kinda has a shit record when it comes to this sort of thing but all the rumors I'm hearing are really positive. Makes me less annoyed that I ended up with 6700 XT. (also, the card I got was a sapphire nitro + oc, which are apparently pretty bad ass with much better cooling and noise solutions than the reference card)

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/cant-find-nvidia-rtx-3080-amds-fsr-tech-could-be-the-answer
yar

naff

would be surprised if FSR doesn't end up being pretty good to the point the difference between it and DLSS is minor. will prob take a while though. if it works well out of the gate i would be highly surprised :p
◕‿◕

naff

cheapest 6800xt i can order now is $2000, last month almost to the day when i posted in this thread then didn't go ahead and buy they were 14-1500  :stahp
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
The simple fact that FSR will be able to be implemented on the next gen consoles kinda gives it a leg up, depending on how good it is and how much work it is to implement. Apparently RE Village is gonna use it, will be curious to see how it looks on pc and if/when it comes to consoles. Village already looks pretty great on my PS5, and even the raytracing produces noticeable differences in a lot of settings (most noticeable with any candle/torch lit areas)
yar

naff

how much is a 6700xt in the newegg shuffle?
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Depends on which model you get but basically like twice the msrp for the reference, lol

The card was about $900, then it got paired with a mobo I don't need and will just sell on ebay that was about $200. Add in tax and shipping and shit. I'll defray the cost by selling my 1080ti since that has no real upside going forward other than just being a really good rasterization beast.
yar

naff

Depends on which model you get but basically like twice the msrp for the reference, lol

The card was about $900, then it got paired with a mobo I don't need and will just sell on ebay that was about $200. Add in tax and shipping and shit. I'll defray the cost by selling my 1080ti since that has no real upside going forward other than just being a really good rasterization beast.

ah ye, works out to ~the same they are at retail here. prices are just all over the place between vendors here though
◕‿◕

Tuckers Law

I “won” a shuffle for an MSI 3070 with some dumb ram, but when I clicked the provided link not even ten minutes after receiving the email, it said the items were removed from my cart due to insufficient availability.  Lol.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Let's gooooooooo

yar

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
graphics cards boxes are so wack now, where are the hot babes and sick dragons of yesteryear :tocry
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
graphics cards boxes are so wack now, where are the hot babes and sick dragons of yesteryear :tocry

The  W O R L D  is dying
:stahp
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

PC's had a good run :trumps
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
With the new ETH limiter on new 3080's and 3070's im curious to see how much I could get for this 3070 in a while
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

Me searching the wastelands of the former state of Israel for a Radeon RX580

🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Getting ready for Cyberpunk bois

(Image removed from quote.)

Decided to benchmark the 6700xt and compare it to the 1080ti for shits and giggles

Not too shabby tbh, scores about even with mmarsu's 3070 (altho my cpu is one generation up on his and more cores/threads)
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Let's goooooooooo bishes

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16723/amd-formally-unveils-fidelityfx-super-resolution-open-source-game-upscaling

First and foremost, FSR, as AMD likes to call it, will be another one of AMD’s GPUOpen technologies, meaning that it will be published open source and free for developers to use. And not only will developers be able to use it on AMD GPUs, but they will be able to use it on NVIDIA GPUs as well.

AMD is not going into the specific technical underpinnings of the execution model here – I’m assuming this is being implemented as a shader – but they are confirming that it doesn’t require any kind of tensor or other deep learning hardware. As a result, the technology can be used not only on recent AMD Radeon RX 6000 series cards, but also the RX 5000 series, RX 500 series, and Vega series. Meanwhile, though it won’t be officially supported to the same extent on NVIDIA cards, according to AMD FSR will work (on day one) on NVIDIA cards going back as far as the Pascal-based GTX 10 series (which pre-dates DLSS support). In fact about the only modern graphics hardware not supported at this point are the current-generation game consoles; AMD may get there one day, but for now they’re focusing on the PC side of things.

At this point AMD is not disclosing which games will support the technology, but the messaging right now is that developers will need to take some kind of an active role in implementing the tech. Which is to say that it’s not sounding like it can simply be applied in a fully post-processing fashion on existing games ala AMD’s contrast adaptive sharpening tech.

Following its June 22nd launch, AMD will be posting FSR to GPUOpen. Overall the company is stating that over 10 “game studios and engines” in 2021 will implement FSR, with more details to come on the 22nd. Expect to see Godfall among these game, as AMD is using it as their example game for today’s announcement.

Not a lot of info yet tbh but seems cool
yar

3070 Ti is priced pretty nicely, I wonder if I should hold out in hope of getting my hand on one or try for the 3080 Ti first even though it's kinda out of my budget

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Buy whatever is available in the 30 seconds before the bots buy them all
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
lol at the 3080ti ending up being $1200 when the rumors were $1000. That always seemed sketch to me considering it was basically a 3090 just with a few minor downgrades and a lot less ram.

3070ti does in fact have a nice MSRP... for which you will probably never be able to purchase it for, so

:yeshrug
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Are Newegg's shitty combos pretty much the only way to get GPUs close to MSRP? Could have got in on a 3060/70/80 today but who wants to deal with the hassle of having to then pawn of the other components?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Are Newegg's shitty combos pretty much the only way to get GPUs close to MSRP? Could have got in on a 3060/70/80 today but who wants to deal with the hassle of having to then pawn of the other components?

I actually sold the motherboard that came with my 6700xt bundle faster than I sold my old 1080ti, probably because it was new in a box and everyone wanted to dick around with price with me on the 1080ti or were convinced it was a scam. I also asked less than msrp (just by $25, but still, a deal is a deal) for the mobo. Apparently ebay and fb marketplace are clogged with extra parts right now because of this, lol.

But yes, the shuffle is one of the more "reliable" ways to get cards, beezy and I have both gotten winning lottery tickets that way just here on the board, but they're still like almost twice msrp... which becomes a deal when you see what they're going for on ebay. You could also try tracking various streams, sometimes nvidia founders cards get restocked at best buy for msrp but they sell out within a couple minutes.

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Steve from GN is BIG MAD about the 3080ti

yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
What a useless product just make more RTX 3070's.  :doge

The GPU market is so broken right now and AMD is about to give the Geforce 10XX series a second wind.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:33:50 PM by Nintex »
🤴

naff

at this point im more interested in what apple do with their M series chips in the desktop space. will still likely update my x86 machine at some point, but the efficiency and hardware support on the m serise chips for rendering video faster than top x86 cpu/gpu configurations is pretty wild. found a 2nd hand m1 mac mini for $900 (~650usd) im picking up to use as a new home server. insane performance for the price. going to be really interesting how the m1x/m2 and more gpu cores and higher clocks are going to compete with x86 machines. i haven't been a fan of apple for a long time, but i can't ignore how incredible Rosetta 2 and OSX + the M series machines are.
◕‿◕

naff

imagine nintendo getting on apple microarchitecture  :lawd :dead tasty might die
◕‿◕

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
my brother has an m1 macbook and he's obsessed lol. keeps telling me how fast/quiet it is and how it's sooo much better than his intel one. getting a lil jealous  :doge

naff

we got a few at work. i was v skeptical ahead of release, but rosetta 2 is the real deal. for the layman, it's just another mac in every way, but inexplicably cheap and fast
◕‿◕

Tycoon Padre

Had an 3080 Ti FE in my basket and could have checked out but eeeeeeeehhhhhhhh - literally can't think of a single game coming out this year that I'll need it for. 3070 should still be fine, even at 4K, for a long while with more games using DLSS/FFXSR. Between that and console games seemingly regressing back into cross-gen status, I dunno what you'd need that level of horsepower for until like late 2022, at the earliest?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
3070 is all you need. There is no use for a 3080 Ti now if you have anything upwards from an RTX 2070 and even less if FSR becomes a thing and DLSS support increases.
The 3080 Ti seems positioned just to take advantage of the suckers that will buy anything right now to get a new GPU.

With PS5/XSX being what they are there won't be a game that takes advantage of that sort of horsepower until 2023 or even 2024 at the earliest, if ever.
It would have to be something like GTAVI with Ray Tracing at 4k / 60fps and by then the 3080 Ti is trading blows with the 5060.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
lmao it's the same shit all over again. 3080 Ti listed for a wooping 2699 Euro

The big difference though, doesn't seem like many people are buying anymore. They're still in stock.

Unlike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 05:45:00 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

naff

"Lot's of supported games" lolwut no

also, amd hasn't supported a single game that has DLSS 2.0 support yet. fsr sounds pretty good for the random few games it supports, none of which i will ever play
◕‿◕