Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 36136 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Right now I have a MSI 470x Gaming mobo, with 32gb ram and a 2600x cpu. If I want to upgrade is a B550 mobo a much better choice to pair it with a 5600x? I saw on YT it can help like 10fps in some games just because the mobo is faster. But those mobos are also about 150/160€ so im wondering is that worth it
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Right now I have a MSI 470x Gaming mobo, with 32gb ram and a 2600x cpu. If I want to upgrade is a B550 mobo a much better choice to pair it with a 5600x? I saw on YT it can help like 10fps in some games just because the mobo is faster. But those mobos are also about 150/160€ so im wondering is that worth it
Upgrading from a 2600X CPU is a big uplift I would definitely go for it. Not to mention it gives you another upgrade path to NVMe SSD's.

More bullshit from Nvidia, a 'new' RTX 3060 with 8GB instead of 12GB but the same price or even more expensive while being 35% slower :lol
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Upgrading from a 2600X CPU is a big uplift I would definitely go for it. Not to mention it gives you another upgrade path to NVMe SSD's.

More bullshit from Nvidia, a 'new' RTX 3060 with 8GB instead of 12GB but the same price or even more expensive while being 35% slower :lol

I dont know.. My birthday is on wednesday and I was thinking of getting the 5600x, but then I came across this video:

And it shows that differences at 1440p or at 4k are basically zero. So why should I even upgrade the damn thing?
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Oh well i did the upgrade anyway and its pretty damn tasty  :leon :aah
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It's a nice upgrade. I don't think the benchmarks give the best impression on how a system runs.
FPS is one thing but there's also how fast it boots, how it handles running multiple programs and the overall speed of it all.

They also don't take into account that systems simply get slower over time.
Either because programs are more demanding or use newer API's or whatever or simply because the parts are getting older and wear down.

With the benchmarks they usually pick a 'new' old product or something that has been running for a few hours for a previous review.
It's not at all the same situation as replacing a CPU that has been maxed out for 5 years with a brand new one.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

RDNA 3 is a bit of a dud.

About equal with the 4080 in normal rendering yes but 25% - 50% slower when it comes to Ray Tracing performance.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

Jesus  :lol
🤴

Tuckers Law

I’m looking forward to where the mid-range refresh falls in performance.  I’d like to replace my 2060 but if I’m spending $400-500, I’d like it to be a distinctly substantial improvement.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I’m looking forward to where the mid-range refresh falls in performance.  I’d like to replace my 2060 but if I’m spending $400-500, I’d like it to be a distinctly substantial improvement.
Seems to me that the only reason these $1000 GPU's exist is to increase the mid range pricing too.
We haven't had a real bang for buck mid range card in a while now.

The 6600XT seems ok-ish, as well as the RTX 3060 which is priced at ~$350.
But in most scenario's both cards are only 10fps - 15fps faster than an RTX 2060.

The RTX 2060 meanwhile provided at least an 20fps - 30fps uplift over the GTX1060 and that's before DLSS came into play.
With the 4080 at $1199 the Founders Edition 4070 Ti (previously the gimped 4080) probably drops in at $899.
According to the latest rumors the 4060 won't drop until September/October 2023 and will not come in below $499.

For lower tier specs it seems more common to just repackage some old shit.
The RTX 3050 for instance came in at ~$300 and was about equal with the GTX 1660 Ti, which was slightly faster than the GTX 1070.

But here's what it looks like
GTX 1070 - $379 (2016)
GTX 1660 Ti - $279 (2019)
RTX 3050 - $299 (2022)

The $300 range has basically been stuck at the same performance level for the past 6 years.
And even something like a 3060 Ti already gets you in the $400 - $500 range.
Nvidia is most likely to replace that with a 4060 at $599.

lol this just dropped, they took a sledgehammer to the 4060 "ti"
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-rumored-to-feature-4352-cudas-8gb-memory-and-220w-tdp
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 06:17:38 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
Playing games on your computer:  :nope :girlaff

Playing games on your car:  :itagaki :win
https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1602789357156536321

In the future when paying 100k for a car to play games is your only option, you’ll be wishing graphics cards were 1000 bucks again.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Your $1000 GPU is unfinished  :doge

https://twitter.com/wccftech/status/1603496758713397248

What I find interesting is how thanks to FSR even the 1650 holds up
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 07:18:07 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Polident Hive

Sat down and calculated the rough cost of putting together a new low-mid range desktop. Just south of $1400. Some parts are costlier because I’m going mATX, which has a knock on effect of needing DDR5 ram. That’s ok. Way things have progressed I’ll end up needing a somewhat capable gaming laptop next year. Experiments with making a sff pc and traveling around with it failed. The option exists, depending. And while I’m going with a 3060, the PSU has space to support an upgrade. I’m even considering reusing my old shit GPU for now.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Sat down and calculated the rough cost of putting together a new low-mid range desktop. Just south of $1400. Some parts are costlier because I’m going mATX, which has a knock on effect of needing DDR5 ram. That’s ok. Way things have progressed I’ll end up needing a somewhat capable gaming laptop next year. Experiments with making a sff pc and traveling around with it failed. The option exists, depending. And while I’m going with a 3060, the PSU has space to support an upgrade. I’m even considering reusing my old shit GPU for now.
What sort of built are you looking at?
There are some pretty great underrated CPU's even below the $200 range.

With a little help from me an employee of mine managed to put together an mATX for about ~700 using a Ryzen 5600G.
To my surprise it even runs GTAV at 60fps @ 1080p. Most newer games run 30fps though but I was surprised about this kind of performance from a ~$100 CPU.

If you're gaming on 1080p or 1440p there's no need to go beyond a 7600x or 5800x in terms of CPU performance. In most cases even a 5600x should suffice.
Just look at MMaRsu he paired an RTX 3070(?) with a 2600x for a while  :lol

DDR5 RAM is not worth the increase in cost yet.
I'd aim for a fast NVMe SSD, a bang for buck CPU in the ~$250 range and a decent GPU. The RTX 3060 would fit the bill for a system like this.

I have super fast G-Skill RGB 3600 RAM or whatever but after Bios updates the XMP profile is disabled and it runs at the default 1600(?) mhz.
In some games I notice 'maybe' a 5fps difference when this happens, which is only noticable in the most demanding games when it moves from 60fps to 55fps.
However, most games run at 100+ fps and I hardly notice it.
🤴

Polident Hive

I’m sticking with Intel + nvidia, with some other fairly conservative ideas like air cooling over AIOs. Bouncing between NRP200 (Max variation) and Torrent Nano. Going with the latter. Both are mITX. CPU will either be 13600k or 12700k. There are pretty decent deals around both atm. DDR5 is down to the mITX Choice. Some asus b660 one. Which raises another issue in needing to update the bios if going 13th gen.

But really at this point it’s an everything upgrade. Not just gaming. Some components on my current PC are from 10 years ago. There are a lot of inconveniences from how dated it is.

Another dated concept I still have is the OS and programs on an SSD, games and etc on slower cheaper drives. But Samsung pro NVMes are relatively cheap now. Their evo brand is even cheaper. So I’m thinking a 1 or 2tb nvme drive, then I’ll reuse a semi new 2.5 ssd for storage.

Tasty

Oh well i did the upgrade anyway and its pretty damn tasty  :leon :aah

:-*

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
AMD and Nvidia now officially both selling fire hazards  :lol

https://twitter.com/hms1193/status/1607394889750417409

🤴

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
I’m sticking with Intel + nvidia, with some other fairly conservative ideas like air cooling over AIOs. Bouncing between NRP200 (Max variation) and Torrent Nano. Going with the latter. Both are mITX. CPU will either be 13600k or 12700k. There are pretty decent deals around both atm. DDR5 is down to the mITX Choice. Some asus b660 one. Which raises another issue in needing to update the bios if going 13th gen.

But really at this point it’s an everything upgrade. Not just gaming. Some components on my current PC are from 10 years ago. There are a lot of inconveniences from how dated it is.

Another dated concept I still have is the OS and programs on an SSD, games and etc on slower cheaper drives. But Samsung pro NVMes are relatively cheap now. Their evo brand is even cheaper. So I’m thinking a 1 or 2tb nvme drive, then I’ll reuse a semi new 2.5 ssd for storage.

If you havn't decided yet, I have a regular NR200, it's great. It's about as small as you can go while not running into compatibility issues with GPU lengths and the like. You can use zip ties to secure an ATX PSU in there too, so you don't need to go through the trouble of buying a smaller PSU.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1609655457865695233

More trouble for the 7900 XT(X) apparently the cooler design they used only works well when mounted vertically and unfortunately most people mount them horizontally.  :lol
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
The absolute state of the GPU market.
As AMD is on the verge of an RDNA 3 recall Nvidia is getting absolutely trashed by every reviewer

🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Who'd have thought sad face in a youtube thumbnail could be even more irritating than soy face :shaking
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
AMD will fix the 7900 XTX for you and promises to do better in the future.

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Clown generation continues, 4060 comes in at $500

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1616347447206322177
🤴

Tuckers Law

:donot

Glad to see they're getting properly shit on by the crowd.

Polident Hive

Pretty much put together my new desktop. Need to transplant my old GPU and the software setup, when I’m not being lazy. It’s nice. Everything’s inexpensive (GPU excluded) and in this large mitx case, easy to fit together.

Dumb rant. What annoyed me about buying this fractal torrent nano case seems to be a trend in the case market: tempered glass. I know RGB is a thing with gamers. Show off the discotheque box you built. Cool for them. But out of the five or so configurations, only one model has two solid panels. It periodically disappears from listings and when it’s available, goes for a 50% premium. Best solution was buying a white model with one solid panel, and I have spare blackout vinyl to cover the glass.

Anyway, I saw the 4070 will go for $600. Reactions tell me it’s overpriced.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
I was thinking about upgrading my 2060 Super this year for better 1440p performance, but with this gouging trend I think I might hop over to AMD. Don't really care about ray tracing. I do worry if AMD still has problems with older games like they used to. Or I might just skip it and muddle through until 2024.
sup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Gushed over this in random talk, but just wanted to mention that I got the new ASUS ROG Flow Z13 (it's a Surface-style Windows tablet made for gaming) over the weekend and am very, very impressed with the mobile 4050 it has.  It runs at 65w but the performance absolutely shits all over the 2022 Z13's 3050 TI.  It appears to be in line with the 3060, but runs cooler and at a lower wattage.  Seems pretty awesome for laptops especially.
ど助平

Polident Hive

Saw some impressions about a Lenovo laptop hitting that same market. It’s interesting to me. As is I juggle two laptops. A gaming laptop, y740 I think with a 2070. Very capable machine. But large (230w power brick is half the size of the laptop alone), runs warm, and despite being on the quieter side for gaming laptops, is still loud for me. Don’t travel with it unless it’s 3+ weeks. Practically treat it as a desktop replacement, even if it’s 15” and not one of those oafish true desktop replacements. What I actually use as a laptop is an older Surface weak enough to be passively cooled. Having one device to fit both needs is the next purchase.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Although the performance of those gaming laptops are awesome they are useless for anything but gaming.
A co-worker of mine had one with a GPU (3060 or something) and while impressive, the battery only lasted for 90 minutes or so.  :lol

My Asus Zenbook with a Ryzen 5825U can't do much gaming but it easily lasts 7 or 8 hours.
🤴

Polident Hive

Shit battery life is actually something I like about mine. Battery is about 60% the size of other laptops to fit a 2.5” spot. It measures battery life in minutes, but it’s got a lot of storage space.

Most laptops that can fit a 99wh battery, have it taking up a third of the case. All that and you can barely finish The Irishman on it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Having one device to fit both needs is the next purchase.

TBH, that's the Flow Z13 for me- if I were to spring for the XG Mobile Dock.  That is pretty high priced, but I could easily ditch my desktop and laptop if I were to get that.  It's tempting!

Although the performance of those gaming laptops are awesome they are useless for anything but gaming.
A co-worker of mine had one with a GPU (3060 or something) and while impressive, the battery only lasted for 90 minutes or so.  :lol

My Asus Zenbook with a Ryzen 5825U can't do much gaming but it easily lasts 7 or 8 hours.

Gaming laptops almost always have shittier battery life than non-gaming ones for obvious reasons- they run hotter and have a lot more crap crammed in that needs more power to run.

Ryzen laptops generally have better (or much better) battery life compared to the Intel ones.  I want to say that the G14 can get 6-7 hours of normal, non-gaming use on battery.  When I get a gaming laptop, it's just for the portability, not the battery life.  I'm OK with this and frankly if someone made a laptop without a battery (make it modular and sell it as something to put onto the outside or something) and used the space for better cooling, I'd be all for it.  My Alienware laptop in 2004 got like 45 minutes of battery life.  My Maingear laptop from 2021 gets maybe two hours.  That's still an improvement, I guess.  :P  One of the reasons I wanted the Z13 is because the power brick for it is very small and light for a gaming machine. 

The only laptops I've ever used that had actually had amazing battery life have been Chromebooks.
ど助平

Polident Hive

I’m smarter and dumber than I thought. On one side, it’s been about 10 years since assembling a PC. Haphazardly put the parts together off memory, groggy at 2 AM. All seemed good there. But what I learned is, despite the cpu having integrated graphics and the motherboard having display port and hdmi, you need a GPU to post. I have some tasks running on my old desktop and can’t touch the GPU for a couple hours (see: why I need a new desktop). Ok. Have an 8800gt somewhere. Dig through some boxes. Find it. DVI only. Dig through other boxes for a DVI to anything, except maybe VGA. Find 20ft DVI to VGA cable ?? Find three optical drives ?? Find a loose CPU and four DDR2 ram sticks. Find a…560ti. Have no recollection of every owning it. At least it has mini HDMI.

Anyway, gonna just jump to Windows 11 on this machine. Reading mixed reactions to it but whatever.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Trying out Midnight Suns on this Z13 tablet.  It defaulted to 1440P ultra settings with DLSS and frame generation (is this DLSS3?) enabled- looks great and it's running at 90+ FPS with some dips into the 80s at times.  This is insane.  Can't believe what this 4050 can do.
:lawd
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Have now tried laptops with the 4050, 60, 70, and 80- the 4050 and 4060 have been the most impressive.  Definitely has to do with wattage.  This laptop I have now has a 4060 at 90w and it beats out the 4070 I had before it which was 65w.  But what surprised me was getting better results in CoD MW2 on it compared to the 4080 I tried.  Maybe it's also an Intel vs AMD thing.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight

AMD just can't compete.

I'm looking at the 4070 right now, prices have gone down to a reasonable level.
🤴

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
I ended up getting a 6700XT for under US$300 two months ago to replace my 1070. Other than the 7800XT most of the cards this gen aren't enough of an improvement unless you care about DLSS stuff
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
DLSS 3.5 in Cyberpunk is impressive- with O.G. DLSS3, the input lag was awful, but this feels really good. 
ど助平