Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Son of a bitch!  (Read 322272 times)

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| BYE MITCH
« Reply #1560 on: January 09, 2021, 03:16:42 PM »
Rudy should announce he's going to sue Twitter. I want to see that.
rub

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1562 on: January 09, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1347922394497884167

:badass

Lol I don't think I've ever read anything on Forbes.com that came across as truthful.
Spud

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1563 on: January 09, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »
The president has all the methods in the world to communicate with people but he's ban evading and desperate for jack dorsey to take pity on him  :dead

No, see, Twitter is the only platform for presenting speech. If they ban you, that's basically making it so no one will ever see or hear you ever again. Not unlike Communist Russia.
dog

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1564 on: January 09, 2021, 06:53:09 PM »
Can't make a fortnite announcement if you can't download fortnite.

thinking.jyff
rub

Boredfrom

« Reply #1565 on: January 09, 2021, 07:46:52 PM »
The president has all the methods in the world to communicate with people but he's ban evading and desperate for jack dorsey to take pity on him  :dead

No, see, Twitter is the only platform for presenting speech. If they ban you, that's basically making it so no one will ever see or hear you ever again. Not unlike Communist Russia.

Being fair, many of the bigger social platforms are actually colluding to actually ban him from their services (thought they are not exactly in the wrong to do it) so is not like has better options at social media beyond Parler.

Of course, being ultra fair, he has that megaphone called FoxNews still ready to go for the most part, so.  :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #1566 on: January 09, 2021, 08:12:00 PM »
Supposedly there were special forces secretly mixed in with the riot goons (as to why they were "let in"), and have confiscated Nancy Pelosi's laptop.  She's freaking out and pushing the impeachment HARD. :rofl

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1567 on: January 09, 2021, 08:50:14 PM »

spoiler (click to show/hide)
personally I think they should have given him the boot long before now, but sure I can understand this argument too. I felt just the same as this video as recently as 2014 or so.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:10:43 PM by EchoRin »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1568 on: January 09, 2021, 08:59:34 PM »
Twitter banning Trump is no different to any other news channel deciding they won't carry any words/audio/video of him. It's not censorship, it's editorial independence.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, if Twitter can decide to take editorial action to censor people, then aren't they essentially a news service or publisher and shouldn't they be subject to the same editorial standards?
 :money
[close]
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1569 on: January 09, 2021, 10:06:46 PM »
Counterpoint - a lot of social progress has been made because of social media since it gives a voice to minorities.  It just happens that 1) bigots are also a minority that found a voice and 2) fast changes in social progress fueled a counter-reaction.  Twitter wasn't a mistake, it was treating bigoted speech, and opinions as fact as equally valid that was the mistake.  Also, I really hate how everyone has it out for social media but acts like Fox News is just something we have to live with. 

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #1570 on: January 09, 2021, 10:11:08 PM »
Jack should just admit twitter was a mistake and shut down the whole platform and go live in a hut in the Amazon or whatever weird things he does

People would instantly create twitter 2.0 so they can tell everyone about how happy they are that twitter is dead

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1571 on: January 09, 2021, 10:44:36 PM »
Supposedly there were special forces secretly mixed in with the riot goons (as to why they were "let in"), and have confiscated Nancy Pelosi's laptop.  She's freaking out and pushing the impeachment HARD. :rofl

Doesn’t seem plausible, this didn’t even happen as part of a shootout with the CIA in some European capital, and I don’t see a single mention of Hugo Chavez or spy satellites.
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #1572 on: January 09, 2021, 10:51:33 PM »
So I guess for you guys the point at which free speech ends is when a politician mobilizes their fanatical worshipers in an attempt to mount a political coup to stay in power. And you dare call yourselves progressives.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #1573 on: January 09, 2021, 10:54:12 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1574 on: January 09, 2021, 10:57:05 PM »
Isn't it necessary that Sanders stays in his current position? 

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1575 on: January 09, 2021, 10:58:34 PM »
maybe

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #1577 on: January 09, 2021, 11:02:59 PM »
maybe

You know your senate majority is tight as hell, right?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1578 on: January 09, 2021, 11:03:46 PM »
So I guess for you guys the point at which free speech ends is when a politician mobilizes their fanatical worshipers in an attempt to mount a political coup to stay in power. And you dare call yourselves progressives.

So much for the tolerant Left!
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1579 on: January 09, 2021, 11:05:35 PM »
what a cunt

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1347928868859097088

Bernie would get replaced in the Senate by Phil Scott, the Republican governor of Vermont. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't pick a replacement who'd caucus with the Democrats.
dog

Boredfrom

« Reply #1580 on: January 09, 2021, 11:08:09 PM »

Is more worrying how many people forget this, including the people celebrating Trump ban.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1581 on: January 09, 2021, 11:26:48 PM »
Canada has hate speech laws and conservatives howl all the time about how it's a slippery slope and how they will be misused.  I can think of one time in my life where it might be questionable.  making Nazis shut up is a pretty effective anti-nazi method.  The fact the left traditionally needed to fight for free speech really only goes to the fact that limited speech was weaponized against the left and it had to be overcome, not that free speech is inherently a good thing in all situations. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1582 on: January 09, 2021, 11:29:32 PM »
Also when the AIs take over, only I will be able to make twitter posts.  Forwarning you guys now. 

Boredfrom

« Reply #1583 on: January 09, 2021, 11:29:37 PM »
Canada has hate speech laws and conservatives howl all the time about how it's a slippery slope and how they will be misused.  I can think of one time in my life where it might be questionable.  making Nazis shut up is a pretty effective anti-nazi method.  The fact the left traditionally needed to fight for free speech really only goes to the fact that limited speech was weaponized against the left and it had to be overcome, not that free speech is inherently a good thing in all situations.

Lol

What makes you think your political side will keep the monopoly of how to weaponize speech?

Shitty half assed posturing to take.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1584 on: January 09, 2021, 11:31:42 PM »
maybe

You know your senate majority is tight as hell, right?

I don't have a senate.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1585 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:47 PM »
Same reason I think that banning guns won't lead to the US becoming a dictatorship.  It's not the guns or the speech laws that matter, if it's going to happen, the political landscape has changed drastically to the point that concern about the laws is pointless.  Now I was talking about it in terms of twitter in my head which got muddied when I brought in the Canadain laws, which was a mistake, but even if the US passed hate speech laws, it's not in the political landscape right now to call BLM or environmentalism hate speech or whatever the fear may be, and if it were possible we'd be in bigger trouble than them calling BLM hate speech.  Like if it ever got to that point, they could just as easy call them a terrorist group with existing laws. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:46:49 PM by Madrun Badrun »

Boredfrom

« Reply #1586 on: January 09, 2021, 11:56:31 PM »
Why the fuck are you comparing guns with free speech?

It's not the guns or the speech laws that matter, if it's going to happen, the political landscape has changed drastically to the point that concern about the laws is pointless.   

You know that is not a good thing to begin with, right?

I can say that, I from a country where respecting laws are not high concern for the elite class unless is convenient against political rivals.

Like if it ever got to that point, they could just as easy call them a terrorist group with existing laws.

USA current anti terror laws are criticized precisely because they could make the government easy to exploit them and curb free expression. Why did you think Trump was eager to call the National Guard with the BLM protests?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1587 on: January 10, 2021, 08:41:15 AM »
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 09:05:11 AM by Madrun Badrun »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1588 on: January 10, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #1589 on: January 10, 2021, 10:38:21 AM »
making Nazis shut up is a pretty effective anti-nazi method.

:dunno

think of any idea, no matter how taboo, and no matter how censored and oppressed it has been across history, and you'll find believers and practitioners of that idea persist today.

You can't kill ideas by stifling them or pretending they don't exist.
You kill them by dismantling them and deconstructing them, and you make them openly available and ostensibly ridiculous so theres no illicit thrill of transgression by people talking about them, and they can't have that seduction of rebellion or forbidden knowledge.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1590 on: January 10, 2021, 11:22:36 AM »
I agree.  The method by itself obviously doesn't get rid of all nazis, but it does contain it to the point where you can try to dismantle them and deconstruct them (and even then you will never get rid of fascism, you can just perpetually contain it).  But you can not do this when they can just look at their thousands of online nazi friends and think 'Nope, we are actually the right ones'.  It's not pretending it's not an issue and not a cure-all.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 11:37:10 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Tasty

« Reply #1591 on: January 10, 2021, 11:32:07 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1592 on: January 10, 2021, 11:52:00 AM »
Yes, that is my point.  Under Obama, they were silenced and in hiding, you need to at least get back to that before you can actually get the problem under control.  Not allowing for their ideology to spread is necessary for that.  Now what you are saying is well they were always there and all it took was from them to be unsilenced for this to happen and my point is ya let's try harder to keep them silenced in the first place because once it's out there, it is a lot harder to put the lid back on.  I acknowledge that this does not address any of the reasons why nazis are nazis other than being exposed to the ideology - but that was never my point.  They fester far worse when they spread their hate than when they can not.  They are going to believe nonsense regardless so limiting the amount of nonsense they see does help.  In terms of the US, I really don't see it getting better, as I have posted multiple times over the last few years, I do not see a way for undoing the damage that has been done without violence. 

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1593 on: January 10, 2021, 12:47:19 PM »
Toomey on Sunday joined his Senate colleague Lisa Murkowski of Alaska in calling for Trump to resign.

"I think at this point with just a few days left [in Trump's term], it's the best path forward, the best way to get this person in the rearview mirror for us," Toomey told CNN's State of the Union. "That could happen immediately. I'm not optimistic it will, but I do think that would be the best way forward."

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/10/955410729/gop-sen-toomey-joins-call-for-trump-to-resign-as-house-impeachment-plans-move-ah

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1594 on: January 10, 2021, 01:29:57 PM »
It's not a cycle.

Fuck these people.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1595 on: January 10, 2021, 01:37:19 PM »
It's not a cycle.

Fuck these people.

Tio Bernie would’ve fixed everything  :bernie
Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1596 on: January 10, 2021, 01:54:56 PM »
I don't know that trying to get people out of their echo chambers is a viable option anymore. These people just found out their world view for the past few years has been nothing but lies and bullshit and their reaction is to double down on it all and call for more violence.

so what's your reaction to them?

to call for violence? if getting people out of their echo chambers isn't viable then I guess you have to silence them another way?
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #1597 on: January 10, 2021, 01:56:21 PM »
It's not a cycle.

Fuck these people.

Tio Bernie would’ve fixed everything  :bernie

The revolution brought on would have.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1598 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:11 PM »
I don't know that trying to get people out of their echo chambers is a viable option anymore. These people just found out their world view for the past few years has been nothing but lies and bullshit and their reaction is to double down on it all and call for more violence.

to call for violence? if getting people out of their echo chambers isn't viable then I guess you have to silence them another way?

Organize a convention /rally

Have tens of thousands of them in one place

Accidentally drop a nuke

Problem solved.

Its the humane solution
:O

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1599 on: January 10, 2021, 02:03:04 PM »
Certified by Occam

Cryo

« Reply #1600 on: January 10, 2021, 03:16:07 PM »
So its either a constant that Americans just have to accept as part of their country (valid, the country was founded on racial genocide). Or, its something that can be cured or at least addressed. Many people who work with getting people out of the KKK and have been doing so successfully, claim dialogue is the way forward. Getting people out of their echo chambers.

https://www.npr.org/2017/08/20/544861933/how-one-man-convinced-200-ku-klux-klan-members-to-give-up-their-robes

Its a really effective way of doing it.

But, it'll never happen because its a country that runs on making the rich richer and the poor poorer. And the theatre of politics is a really good diversion.

Anyways, I have like maybe another good 20 years left of my life, so the fight just seems fruitless. But here's a really good reddit post I read some time back and bookmarked.

I think there's a misconception when a lot of people ask this question. There's no shadowy cabal manipulating the entire world for their collective benefit.

There are a lot of individual people who happen to benefit from largescale changes in public opinion, and some of those individuals are deliberately misleading people to that end, but they're rarely doing it in any sort of concerted effort with anyone else.

The exceptions are largely think-tank PACs that are designed to do it and advertising companies, which are also designed to do it. News media tends to do it, but with little cooperation with anyone else.

And at the end of the day, all of the people doing this deliberately have one thing in common: they're rich. It's not necessarily done as a distraction though; it's more often done just because there's a product to be sold and money to be made. There are very few "evil geniuses" out there who are trying to destroy the world and keep people unaware the whole time. This is partially because anyone with a real amount of power, influence, and intelligence will tell you that the public's attention span is low enough that there's no need to distract them. They'll do it themselves.

The way you stop them is to engage in local and national politics, keep a level head, use primary citation sources, and demand changes that prevent or discourage the above behavior. Namely:

Get money out of politics. Elections should be publicly-funded with VERY strict laws surrounding the kinds of advertisements you can do and the sources of those advertisements;

Change the voting system from First Past the Post to Ranked Choice/Instant Runoff, or other voting options that allow for multiple viable parties to exist;

Strict ethics/accountability watchdogs with the power to actually punish public figures that abuse their power; and

Strict regulations surrounding news media and media that purports to be news such that their material must be very distinctly divided between news and entertainment, and that the news must be entirely fact-based or evidence-based using non-partisan fact checkers as watchdogs with (again) strict punishments for deviations.

Basically, we need to empower independent groups to police and punish people for lying and abusing authority. And those punishments have to have real teeth.
I don’t see why any of these goals, which many recognize as important, require a source of hyperspeed conspiracy dialogue running concurrently, unless you’re saying we’re focusing too much on stifling said source rather than focusing on the process of removing money from politics.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1601 on: January 10, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »
Just marginalize their viewpoints and their ability to impact politics by tarring anyone who supports them as enablers.   :yeshrug

You dont have to jail people en masse to eradicate a way of thinking. People that were against, say, interracial marriage, were not jailed, but their opinions became untenable enough that it stopped being something they can change through policy. Marginalization works. It works against groups that don't deserve, and those that do.

james

« Reply #1602 on: January 10, 2021, 04:41:46 PM »
KILL THEM ALL

IN MINECRAFT

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1603 on: January 10, 2021, 04:48:54 PM »

:yeshrug I've seen it in real life with my own family members. Any push back on their worldview, any proof given to them that something they're saying or believe is false, they just double down and use that as proof of the conspiracy and YOU'RE  the one being lied to and you just don't see it, you lib. You will not and can not convince people whose identity and world view is primarily based around white grievance to get out of that train of thought. The percentage of people you're going to get out of this sphere of influence might as well be 0. They legit live in different realities.

right, you already said this

so what's your action plan since they cannot be convinced
Uncle

james

« Reply #1604 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:04 PM »
God damnit.

The right wing nut jobs have appropriated a minecraft

https://twitter.com/LiteraryMouse/status/1347903805338382341

Click the image. Second tweet, bottom right pic

Fuck. I renounce my pervious minecraft posts

BIONIC

« Reply #1605 on: January 10, 2021, 05:08:06 PM »
James was a right-wing insurrectionist this whole time?  :pika
Margs

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1606 on: January 10, 2021, 05:13:03 PM »
Cancel religious exemption. For everything. Tax, schooling, medical exemptions. Cancel it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 05:20:24 PM by zomgee »
rub

BIONIC

« Reply #1607 on: January 10, 2021, 05:22:41 PM »
Cancel religion  :nothot
Margs

james

« Reply #1608 on: January 10, 2021, 05:23:40 PM »
James was a right-wing insurrectionist this whole time?  :pika

I just like building games :pika

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #1609 on: January 10, 2021, 05:26:13 PM »
The real problem in US politics is not that a fringe group of lunatics stormed the Capitol and tried to lynch the government. It's that 75 million Americans saw all this happening over the last four years and still voted for Trump.
Spud

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #1610 on: January 10, 2021, 05:28:50 PM »
The main problem in American politics is Americans.

james

« Reply #1611 on: January 10, 2021, 05:32:46 PM »
White people

Boredfrom

« Reply #1612 on: January 10, 2021, 05:50:17 PM »
Just marginalize their viewpoints and their ability to impact politics by tarring anyone who supports them as enablers.   :yeshrug

You dont have to jail people en masse to eradicate a way of thinking. People that were against, say, interracial marriage, were not jailed, but their opinions became untenable enough that it stopped being something they can change through policy. Marginalization works. It works against groups that don't deserve, and those that do.

That’s why people are not exactly thrilled to weaponize it. Trumptards deserve to be marginalized, don’t get me wrong, but pretending is clear cut or that governments or companies don’t take advantage of it is, well...

Not everyone is as obviously vile like Trumptards or Nazis.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #1613 on: January 10, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
Punisher Writer Garth Ennis Calls Rioters Wearing Skull Logos "Halfwits"

https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/punisher-skull-logo-garth-ennis-capitol-rioters/

He continued, "The people wearing the logo in this context are kidding themselves, just like the police officers who wore it over the summer. What they actually want is to wear an apparently scary symbol on a T-shirt, throw their weight around a bit, then go home to the wife and kids and resume their everyday life. They've thought no harder about the Punisher symbol than the halfwits I saw [on Wednesday], the ones waving the Stars & Stripes while invading the Capitol building."

People with the Punisher bumper stickers ::). One those "that type of guy" moments

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #1614 on: January 10, 2021, 06:07:19 PM »
Yeah I’m not sure what you can really say to a group of people who’ve deluded themselves that Donald trump, someone who has never stepped foot in a church by choice in his life, aside from weddings or funerals, is a true man of god :trumps
(ice)

Boredfrom

« Reply #1615 on: January 10, 2021, 06:13:42 PM »
Yeah I’m not sure what you can really say to a group of people who’ve deluded themselves that Donald trump, someone who has never stepped foot in a church by choice in his life, aside from weddings or funerals, is a true man of god :trumps

That always cracks me out.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #1616 on: January 10, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »
"... it's *a* bible."
rub

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #1617 on: January 10, 2021, 06:49:22 PM »

"Old testament or new testament guy?"

"Probably.... equal"

It reminds me so much of a kid in class being asked about a book he clearly didn't read
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 06:54:06 PM by HaughtyFrank »

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #1619 on: January 10, 2021, 07:35:14 PM »
always thought this bit from barry-o summed up the bizarre dissonance between what trump's supporters wanted him to be and what he actually was:

I’m not surprised that somebody like Trump could get traction in our political life,” he said. “He’s a symptom as much as an accelerant. But if we were going to have a right-wing populist in this country, I would have expected somebody a little more appealing.”

Trump, Obama noted, is not exactly an exemplar of traditional American manhood. “I think about the classic male hero in American culture when you and I were growing up: the John Waynes, the Gary Coopers, the Jimmy Stewarts, the Clint Eastwoods, for that matter. There was a code … the code of masculinity that I grew up with that harkens back to the ’30s and ’40s and before that. There’s a notion that a man is true to his word, that he takes responsibility, that he doesn’t complain, that he isn’t a bully—in fact he defends the vulnerable against bullies. And so even if you are someone who is annoyed by wokeness and political correctness and wants men to be men again and is tired about everyone complaining about the patriarchy, I thought that the model wouldn’t be Richie Rich—the complaining, lying, doesn’t-take-responsibility-for-anything type of figure.”