Author Topic: USA Politics Thread |OT| Son of a bitch!  (Read 320345 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Blah blah facts and science blah blah deadly pandemic
« Reply #2340 on: February 15, 2021, 06:04:28 PM »
The Trump Presidential library should contain a hall with the portraits of every conservative he scammed out of a couple million bucks. :lawd
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: USA Politics Thread |OT| Blah blah facts and science blah blah deadly pandemic
« Reply #2341 on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1361430880003231747

You would think that a pandemic would've tipped the scales a bit :wut
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2342 on: February 15, 2021, 08:27:01 PM »
GOP seriously needs to just die.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2343 on: February 15, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »
someone told me we need a stronk gop  :karen

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2344 on: February 15, 2021, 08:34:40 PM »
The USA’s version of “the Left” is considered centrist by the rest of the civilized world.

Yes, I’m not counting China.

Tasty

« Reply #2345 on: February 15, 2021, 08:35:17 PM »

It's honestly not surprising and I hate to invoke both-sidesism, but we would be (and have been) cheering the Dems when the shoe is on the other foot.

I'm not a fan of obstructionism in general tbh. I wish the parties were more willing to compromise with each other.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #2346 on: February 15, 2021, 08:43:47 PM »
The USA’s version of “the Left” is considered centrist by the rest of the civilized world.

Yes, I’m not counting China.
The Chinese version of the left is considered far right by the civilised world.

No, I am not counting China as a civilised country.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #2347 on: February 15, 2021, 08:57:32 PM »
I've kinda moved past the "But Europe is more liberal, so we should be too! Harumph! I'm mad because our liberal party is actually centrist! :maf"

I mean, yes, it would be nice.

But it's also useful to engage with reality. Ramping up the rhetoric against GOP voters will not cause the country to become more liberal. Not sure anything *can* convince them that liberals aren't the literal devil, but what I do know is this:

(bear with me)

Have you ever wondered "what is the big deal with coming out of the closet"? Why does this need to be a "movement"? Why make such a big deal in public about this stuff? Why even admit the truth at all? In a lot of cases, it'd be easier to just avoid certain people, or lie.

Coming out is important because it shows people with anti-LGBT beliefs that LGBT people are all around us even if you don't know it, they're not actively and deliberately conspiring to plan the downfall of society, and pretty much all of them just want to be treated like normal people and allowed to live their lives. They are your siblings, or your parents, or your children, or your friends.

That's always spoken to me. Not sure how applicable this idea can be to the political situation I'm talking about, but what I do know is that bubbles are bad. I didn't really "get" or agree with Sasha Baren Cohen staying with the Q guys for Borat 2, but I've somewhat come around on it. Self-selecting your social circle seems to lead to mild prejudices, which can become larger ones the longer you stay in it.

As a coder in years past, on the front-end team we would sometimes bitch about "the back end guys." It was superfluous work stuff and it never prevented us from having a beer together, but I look back at that situation and wonder sometimes. A couple missed deadlines because of a bad API implementation and things might not have been so rosy.

I wish I had some kind of hippy dippy solution to this but I really don't lol. I'm just kinda tired of liberals whining at the state of the country compared to "enlightened Yurop" and thinking the GOP's voter base problem will just go away or solve itself. It won't. And being smug about it is what got us into this position, IMO.

It's a tough problem. I was hoping the GOP would become more secular over time and that would lead to some advancements, but just blindly hoping doesn't do shit lol.

Tasty

« Reply #2348 on: February 15, 2021, 10:02:53 PM »
That might be true, but I dunno, waiting around for nice things to happen hasn't been helpful so far.

Partially, my thinking is also that despite whatever I might want, the US will *always* be more conservative than most western democracies, because it kinda has to be. Half the world freaks out when we don't play world police (while the other half freak out when we do.) America will never be isolationist and it's always going to need a strong military.

I think I've reckoned with these unalterable facts and acceptance is the final stage of grief or whatever lol.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2350 on: February 16, 2021, 12:50:31 AM »
Comic Sans, no less.

Now THAT’S satanic.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2351 on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:05 AM »
Trump has been trying to kill them but Nancy won't let him   :fbm
🤴

T-Short

• hooker strangler
地平線

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2353 on: February 16, 2021, 06:04:59 AM »
Solid ratio on this  :lol

https://twitter.com/CatoInstitute/status/1361139933105303552

I love taking the bullet train in Japan. I enjoy not having to go through airport security, and waiting in a gate area, and basically nothing holding me up. Having a ticket for a train that goes regularly, means if I miss one train I can get on the next one. In contrast, if I miss a plane, I am not only eating the price of that ticket, but having to pay exorbitant prices for a replacement ticket and have no guarantee about how soon it will depart.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2354 on: February 16, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
Solid ratio on this  :lol

https://twitter.com/CatoInstitute/status/1361139933105303552

Right on time.

lol

Curious how the cato institute went mute the last four years.

If Buttigieg wants return the United States to global leadership in transportation, he should find and promote mechanisms that will allow and pay for the construction of new highways that will relieve traffic congestion, improve safety, and generate new economic growth. He actually suggested one such mechanism during his presidential campaign: mileage-based user fees. The last thing we need is more deficit spending building obsolete infrastructure that few people will ever use.

:lol

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #2355 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:26 AM »

:doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2356 on: February 16, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »
He's so predictable

I suspect that more White House props will show up at various Trump properties over the coming years.  :lol
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #2357 on: February 16, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »

:lol :lol :lol

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2358 on: February 16, 2021, 01:20:25 PM »
is that supposed to be vince mcmahon :money at the front of tail pullers?  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2359 on: February 16, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
Baby Obama, baby AOC and Baby Trump crying.

When does this take place in the timeline. Or is it an alternate timeline?  :dizzy
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #2360 on: February 16, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:lol :lol :lol

No lie this is pretty offensive.

At least Sia's heart was in the right place.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2363 on: February 16, 2021, 03:34:58 PM »
I've kinda moved past the "But Europe is more liberal, so we should be too! Harumph! I'm mad because our liberal party is actually centrist! :maf"

I mean, yes, it would be nice.

But it's also useful to engage with reality. Ramping up the rhetoric against GOP voters will not cause the country to become more liberal. Not sure anything *can* convince them that liberals aren't the literal devil, but what I do know is this:

(bear with me)

Have you ever wondered "what is the big deal with coming out of the closet"? Why does this need to be a "movement"? Why make such a big deal in public about this stuff? Why even admit the truth at all? In a lot of cases, it'd be easier to just avoid certain people, or lie.

Coming out is important because it shows people with anti-LGBT beliefs that LGBT people are all around us even if you don't know it, they're not actively and deliberately conspiring to plan the downfall of society, and pretty much all of them just want to be treated like normal people and allowed to live their lives. They are your siblings, or your parents, or your children, or your friends.

That's always spoken to me. Not sure how applicable this idea can be to the political situation I'm talking about, but what I do know is that bubbles are bad. I didn't really "get" or agree with Sasha Baren Cohen staying with the Q guys for Borat 2, but I've somewhat come around on it. Self-selecting your social circle seems to lead to mild prejudices, which can become larger ones the longer you stay in it.

As a coder in years past, on the front-end team we would sometimes bitch about "the back end guys." It was superfluous work stuff and it never prevented us from having a beer together, but I look back at that situation and wonder sometimes. A couple missed deadlines because of a bad API implementation and things might not have been so rosy.

I wish I had some kind of hippy dippy solution to this but I really don't lol. I'm just kinda tired of liberals whining at the state of the country compared to "enlightened Yurop" and thinking the GOP's voter base problem will just go away or solve itself. It won't. And being smug about it is what got us into this position, IMO.

It's a tough problem. I was hoping the GOP would become more secular over time and that would lead to some advancements, but just blindly hoping doesn't do shit lol.

a good point, scratching at the absolute echo chamber dominance of discussion
unsarcastically, it's literally mgs2 with everyone retreating into their gated communities, disregarding any larger forum of discourse

I can't entirely blame gop-adherents since there is an absolute media wing dedicated to misleading and kicking the flock up to a froth, the gop rarely focuses on any positive goal but just convincing a wedge of the populace that the democrats are going to kill god, abort newborns, and molest your kids

I saw a bit of one of those gop-evangelists programs on tv once, sickening, literally twisting the religious beliefs of the many poors into anti-progressivism by setting up supposed biblical equivalencies of aoc and co to some biblical hell

Tasty

« Reply #2364 on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:11 PM »
Being against something has always been easier than standing for something. People like that truly are sickening.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #2365 on: February 16, 2021, 03:49:49 PM »
Romney pretending the that past twelve years didn't happen.

Tasty

« Reply #2366 on: February 16, 2021, 03:51:50 PM »
For my part, I've shifted from "GOP is the enemy and all its voters are terrible human beings, fuck em" to "I've accepted the reality that the GOP is the way it is and will remain so with small changes going into the future, and a vote for a particular candidate isn't necessarily an endorsement of an entire platform."

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #2367 on: February 16, 2021, 04:00:04 PM »
the party is the worst thing, voters are a toss up, some are just boomer centrists voting red just cuz in between grilling
it's just red vs blue for a chunk of the electorate, go my team, booo the other team

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2368 on: February 16, 2021, 05:27:53 PM »
yes an attempt at herd immunity for measles mumps and rubella will go great with the covid pandemic

damn coc$nih

Nothing explains the need to publicize your stupid take on vaccinations except to say "those so-called smart people aren't so smart. I MUST TAKE A SIDE."

All of this is based on a flawed paper.
rub

benjipwns

« Reply #2369 on: February 16, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »
Here you go Nintex:

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2370 on: February 16, 2021, 06:21:27 PM »
The Republican Party can never again be respected or strong with political "leaders" like Sen. Mitch McConnell at its helm. McConnell’s dedication to business as usual, status quo policies, together with his lack of political insight, wisdom, skill, and personality, has rapidly driven him from Majority Leader to Minority Leader, and it will only get worse. The Democrats and Chuck Schumer play McConnell like a fiddle—they’ve never had it so good—and they want to keep it that way! We know our America First agenda is a winner, not McConnell’s Beltway First agenda or Biden’s America Last.

In 2020, I received the most votes of any sitting President in history, almost 75,000,000. Every incumbent House Republican won for the first time in decades, and we flipped 15 seats, almost costing Nancy Pelosi her job. Republicans won majorities in at least 59 of the 98 partisan legislative chambers, and the Democrats failed to flip a single legislative chamber from red to blue. And in "Mitch’s Senate," over the last two election cycles, I single-handedly saved at least 12 Senate seats, more than eight in the 2020 cycle alone—and then came the Georgia disaster, where we should have won both U.S. Senate seats, but McConnell matched the Democrat offer of $2,000 stimulus checks with $600. How does that work? It became the Democrats’ principal advertisement, and a big winner for them it was. McConnell then put himself, one of the most unpopular politicians in the United States, into the advertisements. Many Republicans in Georgia voted Democrat, or just didn’t vote, because of their anguish at their inept Governor, Brian Kemp, Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, and the Republican Party, for not doing its job on Election Integrity during the 2020 Presidential race.

It was a complete election disaster in Georgia, and certain other swing states. McConnell did nothing, and will never do what needs to be done in order to secure a fair and just electoral system into the future. He doesn’t have what it takes, never did, and never will.

My only regret is that McConnell "begged" for my strong support and endorsement before the great people of Kentucky in the 2020 election, and I gave it to him. He went from one point down to 20 points up, and won. How quickly he forgets. Without my endorsement, McConnell would have lost, and lost badly. Now, his numbers are lower than ever before, he is destroying the Republican side of the Senate, and in so doing, seriously hurting our Country.

Likewise, McConnell has no credibility on China because of his family’s substantial Chinese business holdings. He does nothing on this tremendous economic and military threat. 

Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack, and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again. He will never do what needs to be done, or what is right for our Country. Where necessary and appropriate, I will back primary rivals who espouse Making America Great Again and our policy of America First. We want brilliant, strong, thoughtful, and compassionate leadership.

Prior to the pandemic, we produced the greatest economy and jobs numbers in the history of our Country, and likewise, our economic recovery after Covid was the best in the world. We cut taxes and regulations, rebuilt our military, took care of our Vets, became energy independent, built the wall and stopped the massive inflow of illegals into our Country, and so much more. And now, illegals are pouring in, pipelines are being stopped, taxes will be going up, and we will no longer be energy independent.

This is a big moment for our country, and we cannot let it pass by using third rate "leaders" to dictate our future!

Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack, :trumps :whew
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:58:03 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2371 on: February 16, 2021, 07:11:23 PM »
Apparently this was the censored version  :lol
https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/1361819797164539904
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2372 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:57 PM »
Abbott on Fox News blaming the green New deal for his power problems.

Meanwhile I'm cackling at all the pepe who moved to Texas for freedom.

Freedom from power
Freedom from water
Freedom from heat

:tauntaun
:O

Tasty

« Reply #2373 on: February 16, 2021, 10:25:52 PM »
You want a preview of a seceded Texas, here you go.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2374 on: February 16, 2021, 10:45:19 PM »
Abbott on Fox News blaming the green New deal for his power problems.

Meanwhile I'm cackling at all the pepe who moved to Texas for freedom.

Freedom from power
Freedom from water
Freedom from heat

:tauntaun

https://twitter.com/jmontforttx/status/1361703554789031937

https://twitter.com/JesseJenkins/status/1361695199924215813
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #2375 on: February 16, 2021, 10:51:43 PM »
You want a preview of a seceded Texas, here you go.
Coincidentally, Texas's electric grid is almost entirely internal:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2376 on: February 16, 2021, 10:53:17 PM »
Which means no back up from power plants outside of the state.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #2377 on: February 16, 2021, 10:55:57 PM »
From HN comments I've picked up some things, dunno how accurate.

- 1 out of the 2 nuclear plants in Texas also shut down due to issues from the cold; nuclear is not a panacea
- The hit from loss of wind power is dwarfed by the hit from loss of natural gas, which is difficult/impossible to bring to the surface in colder climates
- While Texas's grid is isolated, there's some debate over the actual effect this has had overall, I expect this to become more clear soon since this is what everyone is focusing on right now

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #2378 on: February 17, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »
Big changes happening in the Biden administration!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Breaking911/status/1361816948363956224

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #2379 on: February 17, 2021, 01:28:01 PM »
Rush Limbaugh died.    :ohyeah :sicko

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #2381 on: February 17, 2021, 01:52:38 PM »
Trump finally found a phone and called into fox to remember rush by talking about how the election was stolen from him and if that had happened to a democrat there would be riots in the street.

:confused

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1362101808697643009

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2382 on: February 17, 2021, 02:04:06 PM »
Rush Limbaugh died.    :ohyeah :sicko

Nobody likes a rushed ending  :rodney
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2383 on: February 17, 2021, 02:26:27 PM »
Trump finally found a phone and called into fox to remember rush by talking about how the election was stolen from him and if that had happened to a democrat there would be riots in the street.

:confused

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1362101808697643009
Well they literally asked him about his conversations with Rush after the election so he sort of calmly answered their question instead of screaming fake news :trumps

Interview on Hannity tonight
https://twitter.com/grynbaum/status/1362133202274549768
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 04:39:54 PM by Nintex »
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2385 on: February 17, 2021, 06:55:42 PM »
Yeah, it's almost like Rush was a horrible person and conservatives loved every minute of it.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2386 on: February 17, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »
"He defended the traditions of this country and he spoke for tens of millions of us."

Yeah, we know.  :donot
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2387 on: February 17, 2021, 08:12:02 PM »

"A guiding light with the ability to see the truth and paint vivid pictures over the airwaves" :lawd
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #2388 on: February 17, 2021, 11:21:44 PM »
Is this his presidential moment
rub

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #2389 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:58 AM »
A little comedy to lighten things up

benjipwns

« Reply #2390 on: February 18, 2021, 01:16:14 AM »
"Again, look, it's a no-brainer, right?" Kelly asked. "You're going to run for president in 2024, right?"

"Well, we have tremendous support. I won't say yet, but we have tremendous support. And I'm looking at poll numbers and they're through the roof," said Trump.

Trump said his poll numbers have improved following his latest impeachment.

"I'm the only guy who gets impeached and my numbers go up," Trump joked.

Trump left the possibility of a presidential run at "you'll see what happens."

"It’s too early to say, but I see a lot of great polls out there. That's for sure," said Trump.
THROUGH THE ROOF

benjipwns

« Reply #2391 on: February 18, 2021, 01:25:42 AM »

DJ Bedroom

« Reply #2392 on: February 18, 2021, 02:10:47 AM »
why is jesus jacking off two invisible cocks

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2394 on: February 18, 2021, 02:52:39 AM »
:gaas  :letsfukk  :piss2
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2395 on: February 18, 2021, 05:09:35 AM »
i blame :rogan and his crew of carpet baggers moving there for the situation tbh
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2396 on: February 18, 2021, 06:23:17 AM »

He was very very warm, a very warm person

I used to call him the bull

:trumps :wut
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:30:07 AM by Nintex »
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
rub

Skullfuckers Anonymous

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #2399 on: February 18, 2021, 02:07:41 PM »
Ted Cruz was clearly flying to Mexico to bring back power and water guys
:O