Author Topic: The coming console war  (Read 33105 times)

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
Re: The coming console war
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2021, 03:00:36 AM »
Microsoft's First Party title Wolfenstien: the new order had the kind of cinematic pathos Sony first party could only dream of executing

Rahxephon91

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2021, 03:21:25 AM »
Microsoft doesn’t make games I care about

Yet
Trust me, buying Bethesda, I company who’s output I don’t give a shit about, isn’t changing anything.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 03:22:40 AM »
Microsoft published Doom Eternal. The best FPS I've played in years, would love to see Sony's attempt at publishing a game like that.
Sure fits the MS mo of buying somebody else’s work and taking credit.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 04:43:02 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_4-only_games

Which of these are the amazing exclusives PS4 actually had? Exclusive wise all consoles have been pretty slim pickings the last generation.

Edit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Nintendo_Switch-only_games

Looks like the Switch that has no games had more exclusives so far than the PS4?

paprikastaude

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 06:23:57 AM »
The biggest strength of PS4 was you didn't have to care about exclusives, because it simply had every relevant game of its time, mostly guaranteed day1. Monster Hunter World released also on Bone, but way late on PC. Nier on PC, but like a year late on Bone. Yakuza only 3 years later on Bone. Other variations of split releases for Nioh, Crash Bandicoot, etc. Get a PS4 and you didn't need to ever care about that. I was surprised browsing Amazon and seeing even games I thought were exclusive to PC or Switch or whatever actually being silent multiplats too. When MS showed many interesting games a few years ago at E3, it was like, thanks for the great PS4 lineup.

Other things were released PS4/Switch, PC/PS4, or in other combinations, but it almost always contained PS4 last gen if it wasn't 1st party. If you wanted to have last gen in a single library, you get a PS4.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:43:41 AM by Spieler1 »

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 06:33:15 AM »
The advantage of the PS4 is sony will bribe companies to guarantee that your friends on PC have to wait six months  :heart

paprikastaude

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2021, 06:41:18 AM »

Looks like the Switch that has no games had more exclusives so far than the PS4?

Mario 35 :doge

Pikmin 4 :confused

Metroid Prime 4 :lol

Skyward Sword :dead

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2021, 07:03:14 AM »
Pretending that the PS4 list doesn't have stinkers?

The Tomorrow Children and Drawn to Death fall in the same category as Mario 35 in that they're all dead. (Which is a shame in The Tomorrow Children's case since that game was actually a cool concept.)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2021, 07:25:31 AM »
Get a job ya dirty bums and you can play whatever you want without having to gobble any one company’s cock  :money  :gamer
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2021, 07:28:39 AM »
I own all the consoles. I just don't get what they're going on about.

Svejk

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2021, 07:34:12 AM »
The advantage of the PS4 is sony will bribe companies to guarantee that your friends on PC have to wait six months  :heart
I feel this is Sony's shtick lately, and it totally works for me.  Getting first call on a release is a big deal to a lot.  Death Stranding, FFVIIR, REVII(VR)...  There's a bunch of folks that don't care and would rather wait for the "superior" PC version, and that's fine, but getting a chance to play a bigger named title first elsewhere is kinda awesome.  They may not be buying up studios and destroying them like MS, let them money hat certain titles. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:38:49 AM by Svejk »

Himu

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2021, 08:19:52 AM »
Seriously, what exclusives besides Bloodborne? Persona 5? Uncharted 4? The only reason PS4 took off was because the Xbox used game fuck up. Remember that.

It ran games better than Xbone and that's about it. But most games were on other systems.

Looking forward to SaGa Frontier HD, which is coming out on ps4. Oh wait, I'm getting that on my Swtich.

The only reason people settled with ps4 was because the used game shit that turned the tide away from Xbone, which at the time was seen at the system projected to get. But most games on ps4 are on other platforms. The only reason we went with ps4 was because it was convenient. Console gaming is convenient.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:24:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2021, 08:20:40 AM »
The biggest strength of PS4 was you didn't have to care about exclusives, because it simply had every relevant game of its time, mostly guaranteed day1. Monster Hunter World released also on Bone, but way late on PC. Nier on PC, but like a year late on Bone. Yakuza only 3 years later on Bone. Other variations of split releases for Nioh, Crash Bandicoot, etc. Get a PS4 and you didn't need to ever care about that. I was surprised browsing Amazon and seeing even games I thought were exclusive to PC or Switch or whatever actually being silent multiplats too. When MS showed many interesting games a few years ago at E3, it was like, thanks for the great PS4 lineup.

Other things were released PS4/Switch, PC/PS4, or in other combinations, but it almost always contained PS4 last gen if it wasn't 1st party. If you wanted to have last gen in a single library, you get a PS4.

Pretty sure we've had this discussion already- when I look back at the games I own or owned on PS4, the vast majority are all available on PS3, Vita, Xbox One, PC, and/or Switch.  I could have not owned a PS4 and played just about everything I would have wanted to.  The exceptions are pretty much the few Sony-published games I care about, like Uncharted.  Unsure if those games are on PS Now.  If they are, then that's irrelevant too.

The one single platform that has massively improved in terms of its library "competing" with other platforms is PC.  The last 10 years especially have seen things change quite a bit and now it's normal for console games to see PC releases.  "Exclusive" console games also come out on PC. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 08:23:15 AM »
Microsoft doesn’t make games I care about

Yet

He can just buy them on PC if he cares.  Game Pass is now the console's strength.

Microsoft published Doom Eternal. The best FPS I've played in years, would love to see Sony's attempt at publishing a game like that.
Sure fits the MS mo of buying somebody else’s work and taking credit.

Yes, because nobody else ever does this.  :brain

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »
Pre-ordered Famicom Detective Club while Spieler was bitching about Nintendo.

Feels good to be a Nintendo fan. :)

Pretty sure we've had this discussion already- when I look back at the games I own or owned on PS4, the vast majority are all available on PS3, Vita, Xbox One, PC, and/or Switch.  I could have not owned a PS4 and played just about everything I would have wanted to.  The exceptions are pretty much the few Sony-published games I care about, like Uncharted.  Unsure if those games are on PS Now.  If they are, then that's irrelevant too.

The one single platform that has massively improved in terms of its library "competing" with other platforms is PC.  The last 10 years especially have seen things change quite a bit and now it's normal for console games to see PC releases.  "Exclusive" console games also come out on PC. 

In the end, I think ps4 might go down as most overrated system of all time.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2021, 08:25:54 AM »
Seriously, what exclusives besides Bloodborne? Persona 5? Uncharted 4? The only reason PS4 took off was because the Xbox used game fuck up. Remember that.

It ran games better than Xbone and that's about it. But most games were on other systems.

Looking forward to SaGa Frontier HD, which is coming out on ps4. Oh wait, I'm getting that on my Swtich.

The only reason people settled with ps4 was because the used game shit that turned the tide away from Xbone, which at the time was seen at the system projected to get. But most games on ps4 are on other platforms. The only reason we went with ps4 was because it was convenient. Console gaming is convenient.

Winning the goodwill back is difficult though. Sony is making it easy for Microsoft right now though, they are making sll the right moves (and I dont see a lot of stupid ones, if any)
What

Himu

« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2021, 08:32:11 AM »

Winning the goodwill back is difficult though. Sony is making it easy for Microsoft right now though, they are making sll the right moves (and I dont see a lot of stupid ones, if any)

Winning good will back can be hard, but not when the competition is throwing its good will in the trash.

Remember that Sony was going to put the used game tech in their system as well.

Sony's last good console, as far as offering unique games you can't find anywhere else, was ps3.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »

Can certainly say that the biggest reason I got a PS4 at launch was due to the awful shit Microsoft announced that they'd be "locking down" the Xbox One with.  None of this ended up happening, but at the time, it was enough to make me take most of my Xbox games, a console, and a Kinect (lol) and trade it in towards a PS4 pre-order.  Funnily enough, looking back at the two console launches, I would have gotten way more out of an Xbox One with Titanfall and Killer Instinct.

Console gaming is convenient.

This is another area where PC gaming has massively-improved over the past 10-15 years.  It's generally just as convenient now.

It used to be that there was a reason to own multiple platforms.  That slowly eroded away over the past gen IMO.  Maybe it will come back with Microsoft's developer acquisitions, but they seem to be OK with still letting these games come out on other platforms anyway so who knows.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:07 AM »
Yeah. Right now I'm going to get a ps5 because I never had a ps4 pro and I still haven't played some games from last gen.

These days if you heavy into of gaming there's only reason to get one console between PS/XB and the Nintendo system on the side. I don't see the benefit of the multi console thing we grew up on.
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2021, 08:38:38 AM »

Which of these are the amazing exclusives PS4 actually had? Exclusive wise all consoles have been pretty slim pickings the last generation.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Blood & Truth
Bloodborne
Driveclub
Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part II
Infamous First Light
Gravity Rush 2
God of War
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
Until Dawn
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Sakura Wars
Persona 5
Spider-man
Horizon*
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir

Yeah, these were all good to great games. Don't know what you are talking about.

PS4 overrated? Ps4 had more worthwhile exclusives than PS3 and gave me access to the majority of that generation's games.  There was nothing overrated about that. If your so high on PC gaming, I don't know why you care about consoles. I don't give a shit about PC gaming, so the PS4 was the best console to have.

Yes, because nobody else ever does this.  :brain
I mean Sony and Nintendo have seemingly built a first-party, unlike MS who just decided to buy Bethesda and several mediocre developers. I also don't remember going into this gen thinking Xbox was the system to get. What I remember was that Sony had gained a lot of momentum thanks to its first-party offerings. Meanwhile, Xbox had thrown out having a first-party, got on the Kinect train, and relied on Call of Duty deals to keep the system exciting. Even without the used game shennagians. You had the awful TV stuff E3 showing and the general lack of "hardcore gaming" focus.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:52:25 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2021, 08:47:44 AM »
The funny thing about Sony is that unlike Microsoft they've got a vast catalog of riches to tap into and they're doing jack shit. They could easily revive Jet Moto, Mark of the Kri, modernize Parappa to take advantage of raps modern ubiquity, revive Jak or Sly for the kids.

They have so many options to make their system worth owning and unique. .

I think Sony treats its library, history, and legacy with less respect than Sega does theirs. It's truly pathetic lmao.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:57 AM »

I definitely see this as the Switch...  Mines only 4 weeks old and I can't bring myself to play it.  Overwhelmed by my PS collection already.

Also see that as the Switch... it's an old port dumping ground.  With 9/10 of the time, being the inferior port.
With the GPD Win getting more and more awesome, not sure what the excitement for the Switch is... 

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2021, 09:09:05 AM »

Likewise, PC centric games have been coming out for consoles since last gen. PC as a platform still has the most exclusives (literally thousands of free or cheap indie games exist and get released all the time), but every platform has tons of games.

If you told people Planescape Torment and Sim strategy games will be coming out on a Nintendo console during the 360/Wii/PS3 generation, people would scoff at that and wouldn't believe it.

There's good reasons to own any platform.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2021, 09:09:56 AM »
Play Mario Odyssey and BOTW first. Then play games like Tetris 99 and branch out. :)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2021, 09:11:13 AM »

Likewise, PC centric games have been coming out for consoles since last gen. PC as a platform still has the most exclusives (literally thousands of free or cheap indie games exist and get released all the time), but every platform has tons of games.

If you told people Planescape Torment and Sim strategy games will be coming out on a Nintendo console during the 360/Wii/PS3 generation, people would scoff at that and wouldn't believe it.

Diablo 2 for consoles lmao. Looking forward to it!
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: April 07, 2021, 09:24:31 AM »
Yeah. Right now I'm going to get a ps5 because I never had a ps4 pro and I still haven't played some games from last gen.

These days if you heavy into of gaming there's only reason to get one console between PS/XB and the Nintendo system on the side. I don't see the benefit of the multi console thing we grew up on.

And I don't think this a bad thing -it just means less money to spend to enjoy more games- but I also feel like there's less and less of a reason to buy dedicated consoles now.  Nintendo is the exception because the system is also a portable and I look at it very much as a replacement for the Vita with a lot of the games that have come to the platform since the Vita was killed off.

I'm not against buying a PS5 or anything, I just need some games to buy one for, and anything I have any interest in is releasing on other platforms.  Even some of their own games are still releasing on PS4. 

The funny thing about Sony is that unlike Microsoft they've got a vast catalog of riches to tap into and they're doing jack shit. They could easily revive Jet Moto, Mark of the Kri, modernize Parappa to take advantage of raps modern ubiquity, revive Jak or Sly for the kids.

I think Sony treats its library, history, and legacy with less respect than Sega does theirs. It's truly pathetic lmao.

This.  So much this.  But that Sony is dead and now we've got Arrogant Sony 'Murica running the show. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:47 AM »

I definitely see this as the Switch...  Mines only 4 weeks old and I can't bring myself to play it.  Overwhelmed by my PS collection already.

Also see that as the Switch... it's an old port dumping ground.  With 9/10 of the time, being the inferior port.
With the GPD Win getting more and more awesome, not sure what the excitement for the Switch is...

Your bias is almost as bad as Spieler's, though- you've been hating on that thing since it came out.   :P

GO PLAY ODYSSEY ALREADY.
:bolo
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2021, 09:26:56 AM »

Sure, but what I feel has changed is owning multiple platforms.  Doesn't seem like as big of a deal as it used to be.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2021, 09:31:29 AM »

I'm gonna have to disagree.  Sega is distinguished mentally-challenged with their IPs... 

This is Sega's behavior...
(Reemer is Sega, Cain is the rest of the world...)

And I say this as a Golden Age of Gaming Console War vet.  Sega or nothing else back then...  Granted, there's some hope with the likes of SOR4, but they have a long, LONG way to go to earn back my trust.  .. Remember Shenmue 3?  Sony hasn't flopped like that (yet).  Where's Skies??  Panzer Dragoon Saga??  Sega Rally??  OutRun?? After Burner?? VF?? Golden Axe?? Altered Beast??  A real Phantasy Star??  Shinobi??  A real, non-waifu Shining game??
Sony knows they have good things too...  Astro's Playroom gave me much hope to their legacy (granted it's just one little game, but it's that damn charming)...   And yes, I may be a bit on the Sony high horse, but I've been very happy with everything they've put out.  I wish I could say the same for Sega.

Your bias is almost as bad as Spieler's, though- you've been hating on that thing since it came out.   :P

GO PLAY ODYSSEY ALREADY.
I will... But I'm gonna have to rearrange a sound setup for the entertainment area before I do.  I want to play it on my tv, but with headphones.. Switch doesn't allow it because whatever.
I've already dumped so much into that thing, not sure if I'm ready to dump into a receiver or some other sound alternative, whether it's bluetooth earbuds or what.  Just more damn hurdles and money for a convenience.  The Switch actually works against me in convenience. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 09:36:04 AM by Svejk »

Himu

« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »
The problem, if there's any, and if you can consider it a "problem", is that because every system has a reason to own, almost none of them offer their own unique offerings. Besides Nintendo, it's essentially an aesthetic choice at this point or what system your friends get. Whether you consider that good or bad is subjective. I can see the pros and cons for both, for sure.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2021, 09:48:58 AM »

I'm gonna have to disagree.  Sega is distinguished mentally-challenged with their IPs... 

This is Sega's behavior...
(Reemer is Sega, Cain is the rest of the world...)

And I say this as a Golden Age of Gaming Console War vet.  Sega or nothing else back then...  Granted, there's some hope with the likes of SOR4, but they have a long, LONG way to go to earn back my trust.  .. Remember Shenmue 3?  Sony hasn't flopped like that (yet).  Where's Skies??  Panzer Dragoon Saga??  Sega Rally??  OutRun?? After Burner?? VF?? Golden Axe?? Altered Beast??  A real Phantasy Star??  Shinobi??  A real, non-waifu Shining game??
Sony knows they have good things too...  Astro's Playroom gave me much hope to their legacy (granted it's just one little game, but it's that damn charming)...   And yes, I may be a bit on the Sony high horse, but I've been very happy with everything they've put out.  I wish I could say the same for Sega.

GO PLAY ODYSSEY ALREADY.
I will... But I'm gonna have to rearrange a sound setup for the entertainment area before I do.  I want to play it on my tv, but with headphones.. Switch doesn't allow it because whatever.
I've already dumped so much into that thing, not sure if I'm ready to dump into a receiver or some other sound alternative, whether it's bluetooth earbuds or what.  Just more damn hurdles and money for a convenience.  The Switch actually works against me in convenience.

Sony is even worse, if that shocks you. Sega at least does things like Shinobi 3ds. Sega did amazing 3d versions of their classics like Outrun. They were among the best publishers for the 3ds virtual console. Playing Outrun in 3d was amazing. Sega is also immensely proud of their catalog. They've put Crazy Taxi on every system under the sun. Shenmue I and II got re-released. They've put Genesis and Dreamcast games on tons of systems. They're open with collaborating with fans and developers. See Sonic Mania or the new Alex Kids or Streets of Rage 4 for example. That's not to say they don't have blind spots, but they've done far more to preserve and celebrate their history than Sony has.

Where's Jumping Flash? Where's Legend of Dragoon? Where's Tomba? Where's Colony Wars? Where's Jet Moto? Where's Parappa, Umjammer Lammy, Intelligent Qube, Mark of the Kri, Echochrome? Loco Roco? Sony has its own VR and hasn't even made a Jumping Flash VR game. That's utterly ludicrous.

Sony is far worse regarding their history. Their treatment of their digital storefronts confirms that.

I said they're worse than Sega to accentuate how bad they are because historically Sega is very bad at this. To be even worse than Sega in this regard is a massive feather in Sony's cap.

I know you're high on PS, but as a Sony fan for nearly 25 years this is my personal assessment of them.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »

Edit:

I like how the PS4-exclusive list has vaporware game Deep Down  :lol
To be fair, 13 Sentinels and Bloodborne are really good.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »

If it's bluetooth, you can get a cheap wireless dongle that you can plug in via USB.

This one includes a USB-A adapter for the dock.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B07L9SL7ZT
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
Where's Jumping Flash? Where's Legend of Dragoon? Where's Tomba? Where's Colony Wars? Where's Jet Moto? Where's Parappa, Umjammer Lammy, Intelligent Qube, Mark of the Kri, Echochrome? Loco Roco? Sony has its own VR and hasn't even made a Jumping Flash VR game. That's utterly ludicrous.

Sony is far worse regarding their history. Their treatment of their digital storefronts confirms that.

They at least re-released Parappa and Loco Roco on PS4 (as actual remasters), but yeah, in general they've just ignored a good chunk of their back catalog, and it sucks.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2021, 11:18:33 AM »
I know you're high on PS, but as a Sony fan for nearly 25 years this is my personal assessment of them.
Agree to disagree.  :)  This was me with Sega back in the day. The bias was impenetrable. I was anti-Nintendo everything.  Now, I'm on the other side of the wall.. Even though I have a deeply embedded ancient "hate" for Nintendo, I still love them for what they are and have pulled off...

If it's bluetooth, you can get a cheap wireless dongle that you can plug in via USB.

This one includes a USB-A adapter for the dock.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Compatible-Headphones/dp/B07L9SL7ZT

Word.  I didn't think you could stream sound through one of the USB's, but it appears to do so now (after a recent update), so that might be my cheapest option.  I guess I need to drop even more money into this thing again.
 :existential

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2021, 11:48:38 AM »
cringe thread. take it to twitter
fat

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »
GTA 6 won’t be coming to Switch (or Switch Pro) so it loses the console wars by default.

paprikastaude

« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2021, 12:06:42 PM »

PC is different altogether with its ridiculous hardware cost, no physical games, etc. I use Steam for games that are digital only, everything else I will buy on consoles. And for last generation, PS4 is the only console that basically had all games. XBone might miss two or three important titles from last gen one might find interesting, Switch the majority. If I want to play a notable 3rd party release (i.e. excluding whatever indies flood Steam with) released between 2013 and 2020, I don't even have to think about it, I can find it for PS4. The last generation is the PS4 - which was even more true when it was still going. Which is crazy, because in the first years it looked like a continuation of the incredibly dire PS360 days, so I kept playing PS3, until around 2015/16 when PS4 exploded.

For this gen, we'll see. If MS is aggressive about grabbing current Japanese hits to have them on Gamepass Day1, maybe they can "steal" that Sony audience that got into Persona, MH World, Nier, FF, etc. Right now, PS5 still seems like the non-PC option which gets you guaranteed timely major releases by FROM, Capcom, Square, Sega, etc., regardless of the sad shit Jim Ryan and his company's doing and saying currently. Though a clearer picture might have to wait until after the pandemic. One thing's for sure. As a fan of these games, I can't ignore the reality that Switch doesn't offer more than a side attraction for these games, so they don't seem like "stealing" anyone's audience. The only big thing that will get back to Nintendo imo is Dragon Quest, because that's one of the few Japanese series that didn't have a Western breakthrough with a fancy console release last gen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:12:57 PM by Spieler1 »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2021, 12:08:44 PM »
GTA 6 won’t be coming to Switch (or Switch Pro) so it loses the console wars by default.

But first we get that amazing GTA5 remaster they teased. :D

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
The only reason PS4 took off was because the Xbox used game fuck up. Remember that.

:lol

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2021, 12:27:55 PM »
The Xbox One and Wii-U being disasters helped Sony immensely. Just like the PS3 being a disaster helped the 360 and Wii. Shit, the original Playstation did so well in a way because the Saturn was a disaster, and the N64 using cartridges meant missing out on tons of games at that time.

This is the first gen in 20 years where Microsoft and Nintendo aren't shitting the bed in some way.
OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2021, 12:39:22 PM »

And the always online shit. And the $100 more shit. That E3 was nothing but MS shooting themselves in their own dick and Sony dunking on them. The fact that Xbox is still a thing afterwards is a minor miracle and probably only because MS has mountains of money.
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2021, 01:05:01 PM »

And the always online shit. And the $100 more shit. That E3 was nothing but MS shooting themselves in their own dick and Sony dunking on them. The fact that Xbox is still a thing afterwards is a minor miracle and probably only because MS has mountains of money.

If what some people have said about the Xbox Series is true, it was almost not going to happen and MS was ready to pull the plug on the division. 

But I think MS is heading in the right direction with Game Pass and XCloud.  It may be a while, but at some point none of this shit is going to matter because games are just going to be streamed anyway.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2021, 01:18:21 PM »
PC is different altogether with its ridiculous hardware cost, no physical games, etc.

PC prices are all over the place.  You don't necessarily have to buy or put together a top of the line system to play everything, and it could be argued that the higher hardware costs are offset by the higher console game prices and yearly cost to play online. 

And for last generation, PS4 is the only console that basically had all games. XBone might miss two or three important titles from last gen one might find interesting, Switch the majority. If I want to play a notable 3rd party release (i.e. excluding whatever indies flood Steam with) released between 2013 and 2020, I don't even have to think about it, I can find it for PS4. The last generation is the PS4 - which was even more true when it was still going. Which is crazy, because in the first years it looked like a continuation of the incredibly dire PS360 days, so I kept playing PS3, until around 2015/16 when PS4 exploded.

I don't agree with you.  And I base that on looking at my library of PS4 games and seeing that the vast majority of them are on other platforms.  I think it's around 12 out of nearly 200+ titles, and I'm not sure how many of those 12 might be on PS Now.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2021, 01:28:16 PM »
cringe thread. take it to twitter

:-\

Even with my positivity towards Game Pass I cant win Demi over
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2021, 01:31:40 PM »
Also, props to Microsoft for what they're doing with backwards-compatibility. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2021, 01:41:56 PM »

Yes, but the used games thing was the biggest deal breaker, hence how Sony was allowed to dunk on them..

This video is what turned the tide of last gen.

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »

Yes, but the used games thing was the biggest deal breaker, hence how Sony was allowed to dunk on them..

None of that ended up being the case, however, and I doubt the vast majority of consumers knew anything about that stuff from E3 that year.  Still was awesome.  I miss that Sony.   :'(

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Although this was also the same Sony who tried getting people to pay them ten bucks for an "online pass" if they purchased a used game.
[close]
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »

GTA 6 ain't ever coming out breh :dead

GTA 5 on Switch Pro though... and victory is complete :obama

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2021, 02:24:36 PM »
The Xbox One and Wii-U being disasters helped Sony immensely. Just like the PS3 being a disaster helped the 360 and Wii. Shit, the original Playstation did so well in a way because the Saturn was a disaster, and the N64 using cartridges meant missing out on tons of games at that time.

This is the first gen in 20 years where Microsoft and Nintendo aren't shitting the bed in some way.
Yeah, there is a lot of truth here. If anything, Wii and Switch sales are what modern Nintendo's baseline potential is when they aren't tripping on their own dick. MS fucked up by focusing on Kinect, w/ an underpowered console plus the dumb TV "entertainment hub" bullshit. The PS3 launch price + Cell was a disaster. All 3 companies paid for their mistakes during their respective down years.

Honestly, there is room for Ninty, Sony and MS to co-exist. We have 3 generations to prove it even when one or more of them are taking missteps. If you're a console gamer, you should want all 3 companies succeeding and this might be the first generation where that happens simultaneously.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2021, 02:39:39 PM »

I think you're vastly overestimating the proportion of the market that was exposed to the memes and burns of that E3.

The reality is that they had a better console, at a lesser price, and Playstation has always been a juggernaut.
I mean they ended up selling basically as well as xbox during the PS360 era despite the one year (and more in EU) launch delay, absurd price, and 3rd parties having nightmares because no one bothered to ask Kutaragi to think twice about his approach.

Himu

« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2021, 03:37:00 PM »
Overestimating? No. Also, memes apply to games. That's a strange argument considering the initial fall of Playstation was announcing ps3 for 599 US dollars. PS became a joke overnight. Wii60.com was made within hours of that announcement. Memes play a massive role. Also, as said before, the rumor was that BOTH ps4 and Xbone would have anti consumer practices including always online system and no used games. The reason that took off was because it killed the rumor. Scuttlebutt says Sony was going to do the same thing as MS, saw the horrible backlash to Xbone at Monday on E3, and decided to walk back the system for PR.

Memes matter a lot when it comes to games. You're talking about gamers. The people that use PR words like IP, unit, SKU, Quality of Life;etc. Gamers are all about shared cultural consciousness.

That video I linked single handedly won Sony the console war of last gen. You are underestimating the effect of watching something like that live.

Talking of power is silly when it comes to games and what's popular. Power is nice, but the underpowered system is often traditionally the most dominant. In fact, I think the ps4 is unique in that it's the first console I can think of that won the console war and was actually the more powerful console.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 03:51:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2021, 06:44:58 PM »
ps4 "won" because xbone had no games and their marketing failed. ps actually had software in the works, though both were dire for the first year or so. to say it single handedly won because of that video... comeon. the vast majority of people (including myself) didn't even see that. not saying it didn't have any impact, but the predominant reason ps is so popular is its first party IP popularity with casuals and core alike. that was fairly well staggered into the middle to current lifetime of the console.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »
The OG Xbox One was one of the most dissapointing consoles for me and it followed right after the Wii U (which I actually enjoyed more at the time  :doge ).

All the TV features were undercooked/unavailable. I remember buying the Xbox One with Destiny and the only 2 games that excited me during that time were Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 2.
The hardware also completely sucked apart from the controller, especially the very slow UI. New entries in their long running series like Gears of War were very uninspired and more interesting IP's like Ninja Gaiden had dissapeared.
Xbox was a complete loss between 2012 and 2017 if you also owned a PC and PS4 was better in nearly every way.

Xbox One X is one of my favorite consoles though it fixed everything that sucked about the original console and is a great and at the time fairly cheap 4k blu-ray player.

Talking about the console wars, sounds like Kojima is going to sign with Microsoft for his next game.
🤴

naff

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2021, 08:53:55 PM »
The OG Xbox One was one of the most dissapointing consoles for me and it followed right after the Wii U (which I actually enjoyed more at the time  :doge ).

All the TV features were undercooked/unavailable. I remember buying the Xbox One with Destiny and the only 2 games that excited me during that time were Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 2.
The hardware also completely sucked apart from the controller, especially the very slow UI. New entries in their long running series like Gears of War were very uninspired and more interesting IP's like Ninja Gaiden had dissapeared.
Xbox was a complete loss between 2012 and 2017 if you also owned a PC and PS4 was better in nearly every way.

Xbox One X is one of my favorite consoles though it fixed everything that sucked about the original console and is a great and at the time fairly cheap 4k blu-ray player.

Talking about the console wars, sounds like Kojima is going to sign with Microsoft for his next game.

lmao, there have been rumours about ms acquiring kojima studios for ages and they're as yet unfounded. are you just going off this dumb tweet?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1364259070094446595

:heh :neogaf

◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2021, 09:25:11 PM »

Yeah, there is a lot of truth here. If anything, Wii and Switch sales are what modern Nintendo's baseline potential is when they aren't tripping on their own dick. MS fucked up by focusing on Kinect, w/ an underpowered console plus the dumb TV "entertainment hub" bullshit. The PS3 launch price + Cell was a disaster. All 3 companies paid for their mistakes during their respective down years.

Honestly, there is room for Ninty, Sony and MS to co-exist. We have 3 generations to prove it even when one or more of them are taking missteps. If you're a console gamer, you should want all 3 companies succeeding and this might be the first generation where that happens simultaneously.

ms and sony as hardware makers have never been more redundant. sony brings marginally more new to the table and are pushing vr at least, but the 2 consoles are so incredibly similar internally as a consumer there's no point for both existing
◕‿◕

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2021, 12:38:36 AM »
The only reason PS4 took off was because the Xbox used game fuck up. Remember that. ...

That video I linked single handedly won Sony the console war of last gen. You are underestimating the effect of watching something like that live.
I'm going to suggest that the lower price (and as importantly being under $400) had more to do with it than a game sharing "meme" video. Especially considering how fast Microsoft moved to murder the Kinect in order to get their price competitive.

Same way they killed the Saturn early on the last time two major consoles released together into the same market targets, cheaper, better and more games... :doge
[close]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 12:46:54 AM by benjipwns »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2021, 02:25:32 AM »

Sure it is, launches next year.in may trust.me bro
What

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2021, 02:37:13 AM »

Sure it is, launches next year.in may trust.me bro

There’s only one Dutch gaming insider on this board, and he ain’t you  :ufup
Margs

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2021, 02:37:14 AM »
The only reason PS4 took off was because the Xbox used game fuck up. Remember that. ...

I'm going to suggest that the lower price (and as importantly being under $400) had more to do with it than a game sharing "meme" video. Especially considering how fast Microsoft moved to murder the Kinect in order to get their price competitive.

Same way they killed the Saturn early on the last time two major consoles released together into the same market targets, cheaper, better and more games... :doge
[close]

The word of mouth that u couldnt play second hand games on xbox permeated quite a bit tho, even after they reversed that
What