Author Topic: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (yes OLED)  (Read 29575 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
With it being on Linux by default you unfortunately do not have access to most of the "best" Steam dreck.

:doge

Bebpo

Trying to get through and its hammered of course.

Got it in my cart but stuck on payment with errors.

BikeJesus

And reserved. Time was 10:01.

The Steam client still hasn't shown the purchase, but i got an email saying it is reserved.

Bebpo

I'm trying to do it through steam client and I just get errors. This is frustrating.

Tried multiple types of payment but same orange error:

An unexpected error has occurred. Your purchase has not been completed.
Please wait a few minutes and try again.
If you encounter this error repeatedly, please contact Steam Support.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It is in my cart but I can't get to checkout

Something Went Wrong
We were unable to service your request. Please try again later.
E502 L3

:rage
🤴

BikeJesus

I had 7 dollars in Steam wallet. Might have sped things up

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Purchase for myself

Now on the payment screen....
🤴

Bebpo

I give up
If it's like Index it will be available a couple months later if you don't get in day 1.

Bebpo

I had 7 dollars in Steam wallet. Might have sped things up

Smart, this was probably the secret. It can't process purchases through paypal/cc it seems currently.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

I just keep clicking you fucks  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.

Great and now it'll probably get my steam account locked or some shit. Yeah I give up for today.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It looks like you've been attempting a lot of purchases in the last few hours. Please wait a while before trying again.

Is this fucking Cuba? :trumps
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Finally got it to go through, had to wait a bit after I got to each stage to get to the next one (add to cart, payment, etc)

yar

Bebpo

I'm glad this is literally something I don't need as it's just a better alternate way to play stuff I already can play. If this was a new system with exclusives or something I'd be pretty pissed. Just slightly annoyed at the process now. I can wait 6 months and get one later.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
There seems to have been an error initializing or updating your transaction. Please wait a minute and try again or contact support for assistance.

Back to this at least  :doge
🤴

Bebpo

Back to this at least  :doge

Just tried and still locked out on my end :(

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Tried once, locked out again.

I'm not sure how the cart works but I got an email with a saved cart and will try it again in an hour or so.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I'm glad this is literally something I don't need as it's just a better alternate way to play stuff I already can play. If this was a new system with exclusives or something I'd be pretty pissed. Just slightly annoyed at the process now. I can wait 6 months and get one later.

Mostly I'm just looking forward to being able to lie in bed and just play rpgs. Hopefully I'll get something terminal and can live out my final days trying to dodge 200 lightning bolts or something stupid like that.
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Delivery already pushed to Q1 2022 and in some regions Q2 2022 for these bad bois.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Was able to just reserve a 512 GB model after multiple failed attempts- I went to the support page, selected the option to get help with a purchase > failed purchase > Steamdeck and it let me through.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Just paid, now waiting for the confirmation.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Money is taken from my account, purchase history says: "pending"  :shaking
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
You didn't get an email?
yar

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Steam Deck 256 GB Deposit

Your Steam Deck 256 GB Deposit is now reserved. Once inventory is available, you will receive an email in the order your reservation was made. This email will contain details for how to complete your purchase.
I've got no clue when I'll get it though  :doge
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Steam Deck 256 GB Deposit

Your Steam Deck 256 GB Deposit is now reserved. Once inventory is available, you will receive an email in the order your reservation was made. This email will contain details for how to complete your purchase.
I've got no clue when I'll get it though  :doge

Something tells me Valve doesn't know either- I bet this comes out towards the end of next year.
ど助平

Bebpo

Lol, what when I go to my cart after a million errors for 2.5 hours it says I already own it.

Guess a recent one went through even if it never made it to the end screen.

Says Est Q2 2022. Better than 2023 I guess.

benjipwns

you dopes are breaking steam for the rest of us, chill out

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Mine says Q1 2022

Also based gaben

You could've just gotten the $399 one and pick up a cheap NVME along the way.
🤴

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
Got my preorder in for the 256 :preach
jon

Coax

I like how Gabe responds faster than most customer support, when he feels like it.

Looks like he's answered the m.2 question to two different users already.

Akala

• Easy Victor
got one after erroring out a bunch and getting pretty aggravated, team 256/2022.  :-\

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
You guys trust Valve's build quality enough to preorder? :thinking

Bebpo

Probably not, but the alternative is enjoy your revision #2 in 2025.

Human Snorenado

• Icon

Listen, I'll probably fuck around with this thing for 3 months, get bored, then forget about it
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

If they even support it that far.  :doge

paprikastaude

If they even support it that far.  :doge

At least rn it already has more buzz than all of their prior hardware, so maybe.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
I hope so, i think it's a cool piece of hardware and a good idea.
I have little faith in Valve when it comes to HW though, they seem to lose interest very fast.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I mean... if you install windows on it, who gives a fuck if they keep supporting steam os I guess?

:yeshrug
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Because they mentioned bespoke optimization from developers.
With this kind of hardware and machine, specific tinkering and optimization is a crucial thing for newer games, i feel like.
So it'd be good to have proper support, but of course if all you use it for is 2d games and retro stuff, that's fine.

Bebpo

Wait, this isn't Windows 10? Uhhhh, whyyyyy. Seems like a huge mistake for portable Steam device.

I want this for old niche games, crpgs, VNs, Sierra/Lucasarts PnCs, indie Metroivanias. I sure hope they work on Linux.

BikeJesus

Valve said the goal is to have every Steam game working by launch. Apparently they have a new version of Proton not yet released. Sounds pretty ambitious, but i have faith. Valve has been working on improving linux for a decade so they don't get caught with their pants down relying on Windows.

I am so excited for this fucking thing. Also, it is a PC so you can install windows if you really want to.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Unless early word of mouth is that Windows just works great immediately, I'll probably just fuck around with it running linux/SteamOS for the first 3-6 months and then look at putting Windows on it. I wonder if installing emus/romz on whatever shitfuck version of linux it comes with will be easy...

Also, this may finally be the thing that breaks me down the road to sign up for pc gamepass, lol
yar

Bebpo

I guess I’m just nervous because like Mac, I’ve never used Linux and have no idea how to use an operating system that isn’t Windows. I know Windows and DOS really well at this point.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I would be pretty surprised if this thing launched and wasn't basically just pick up and play for like 90% of shit on steam. You probably won't have to *do* anything with linux if you don't want to.
yar

Coax

Valve said the goal is to have every Steam game working by launch. Apparently they have a new version of Proton not yet released.

I'm curious how they'll handle DirectX 12 since it was only in early testing on Linux as of like earlier this year. Would be awesome if it was much further ahead as this could make Linux viable for new releases instead of being W10/11 exclusive.

Bebpo

I would be pretty surprised if this thing launched and wasn't basically just pick up and play for like 90% of shit on steam. You probably won't have to *do* anything with linux if you don't want to.

Wellllll, I was reading the Proton compatibility thread on era and it seems like half the games you have to go in and download a file or edit a .cfg. Which is a 2-second thing in windows with a laptop/desktop/kb+m, but on a portable system with linux I'm gonna be lost.

Hopefully most stuff runs natively by Q2 2022.

Bebpo

Also I haven't really looked into/paid attention to Linux since like 2001 where it was the OS that 99% of games did not support. So I'm pretty out of the loop on it.

I remember Linux was like the cool hipster anti-establishment OS for like 1,000 people who ran emulators or something. Never really paid attention to it because it always seemed like a really niche thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
It might have problems with some obscure or very old games (that hardly run on Windows even)
They have Hades, DOOM Eternal, CONTROL and a bunch of other games running so I don't expect a lot of issues.
🤴

Bebpo

It might have problems with some obscure or very old games (that hardly run on Windows even)
They have Hades, DOOM Eternal, CONTROL and a bunch of other games running so I don't expect a lot of issues.

Well that's kind of the point. I'd expect most recent games to work and older games not to work.

And I'm weird in that I'm not interested in a portable steam for recent games but for older stuff. More Doom 64 than Doom Eternal.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog

i would be :p

filter games on steam by "Linux / SteamOS" support. that's what will work on this thing out of the box. you can install Windows on it too, and hopefully this will push a bunch of devs to make Linux ports but the support is relatively low atm. you'll probably want to be dual booting Windows
◕‿◕

naff

they have some promo material of it playing games that don't have Linux ports. I assume they have a fair few in the works, but it is funny to me to show off games you have to install a whole different OS to run atm
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
...have you just ignored all the talk about proton or...???
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
yar

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Wellllll, I was reading the Proton compatibility thread on era and it seems like half the games you have to go in and download a file or edit a .cfg. Which is a 2-second thing in windows with a laptop/desktop/kb+m, but on a portable system with linux I'm gonna be lost.

I'm like... 99% sure that will be a non-issue, for the exact same reasons that setting up a Steam controller to work in a game that has never had PC controller support is a non-issue.
Because they'll just crowd source that shit and auto-load the most used config on game start.

Pretty much the same was GeForce Experience "just works" for people that can't be fucked to tinker in their Options with every game they play to min/max graphical quality vs framerate.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
(Image removed from quote.)

it really does have game gear energy. i think thats why i like it, i already have an affinity for SEGA's industrial design

naff

...have you just ignored all the talk about proton or...???

true. no I hadn't, excuse my ignorance. wild to me wine is going to be packaged into a big commercial product like this. cool, but also sounds like this shid will have more bugs than an EDF game
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Icon
I mean valve has repeatedly emphasized that this is a pc and what would pc gaming be without a shit ton of bugs
yar

benjipwns

Wait, this isn't Windows 10? Uhhhh, whyyyyy.
Because they'd have to pay for Windows on each SteamDeck and then they're beholden to Microsoft.
I guess I’m just nervous because like Mac, I’ve never used Linux and have no idea how to use an operating system that isn’t Windows. I know Windows and DOS really well at this point.
SteamOS is just a background layer to you using Steam like normal, especially in big picture mode. It's when you start wanting to install other stuff (non-Steam stuff) that you'll have to know anything about Linux. (Or install Windows)
I wonder if installing emus/romz on whatever shitfuck version of linux it comes with will be easy...
You can probably just install a RetroArch package and immediately have a bunch of emulators for most every system you could want available along with controller support, etc. since it handles everything internally.

IIRC, RetroArch is even coming to Steam, so you'd just install it like anything else on Steam.

edit: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1118310/RetroArch/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 05:00:16 PM by benjipwns »

Human Snorenado

• Icon
According to Valve, all the footage in the IGN vids was from games that were loaded on a microSD card and not regular internal storage

:leon
yar

BikeJesus

Feels good, man