Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1824845 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Salty Crackers
« Reply #9060 on: December 03, 2021, 11:50:23 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/geoff-keighley-wants-the-game-awards-to-focus-on-showcasing-the-games-versus-making-any-kind-of-critical-stance-on-activision-blizzard.523182/page-2#post-78091305

Quote from: Bufbaf, post: 78091305, member: 1860
Is anyone really surprised by this? From walking ad campaign Geoff Keighley?

Spineless and incredibly predictible. $$$ and the fear of the audience he created once again wins over having principles and dignity.
I'll probably still watch it, but my respect is pretty much gone at this point.

:brain
Ugh, these people. Just because they are perpetually offending and excommunicating everyone within a 400m radius, they expect everyone else to do the same.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9061 on: December 03, 2021, 11:53:45 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/according-to-tom-henderson-the-next-battlefield-title-is-planned-as-a-“hero-shooter”.523167/page-2

.The suits who call the shots are growing ever more hopelessly out-of-touch with their userbases. I feel so fucking sad for the Devs of these games; stretched thin, criminally underpaid, ridiculously overworked, no creative control, and to top it all off they receive all the vitriol and hate from man-child gamers while the execs lean back comfortably and count their stolen cash.

AAA gaming is just so depressing right now. (Has been for quite a while, but it feels like it's getting worse to me)

Wait... what? You were sounding sane, you ass!

I read the thread title as "hetero shooter" and thought wow era should love this premise
There's a difference? I see you, you're not slick chief.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9062 on: December 03, 2021, 11:57:16 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/trevor-noah-expresses-skepticism-over-pharma-ceos-push-for-new-vaccines-instead-of-waiting-for-unbiased-opinion.523026/page-2#post-78075129
Are you kidding me? You're bordering on vaccine misinformation and you better stop. The flu kills 100,000 Americans per year approximately. The flu shot is extremely important to protecting the young, old, and immunocompromised. The flu clogs up hospital beds and transmits to others in the hospital for other reasons. Getting your flu shot is VERY important, it's just that people on forums like this downplay the importance because they're healthy and lucky to not have died from the flu yet. Get your fucking flu shot--EVERY year. It protects people from literally dying.

I'm on science twitter and connected to the science community. EVERYBODY says your best chance to fight COVID no matter the form, as best as we know so far, is to get vaccinated. If you can get the flu vaccine too, do it, because it keeps you out of the hospital or reduces your vulnerability to co-infections and co-morbidities. 99.9% of COVID strains in the US are Delta and it behooves everyone to get their booster ASAP. Do it now.

We're not listening to the Moderna and Pfizer CEO alone, we're listening to the data, and the data shows: get your booster shot, get your flu shot. Go and do it now. You're not even paying for the COVID vaccine, and the flu vaccine is covered by most insurances.

Signed, a fucking bioengineer
:badass
This is the least Reeeeesetera that Resetera has ever Reseteraed.
Spud

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
« Reply #9063 on: December 04, 2021, 12:53:41 AM »
I'd be legit worried about what excel might do if she was banned on Resetera. Wouldn't be surprised if the mods cut her extra slack because of that.

This has worried me as well.  There are plenty of people on Era who deserve to get the shit stick but I'm scared to think of excel without her one human contact point.  That's horrible to consider where a sad vulnerable person would go.
Remember the time she got a 5 min ban and when she was unbanned said she saw her life flash before her eyes?  I think she was exaggerating because I think she got a few days ban this year.

Trojita

« Reply #9064 on: December 04, 2021, 03:29:33 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/trevor-noah-expresses-skepticism-over-pharma-ceos-push-for-new-vaccines-instead-of-waiting-for-unbiased-opinion.523026/page-2#post-78075129
Are you kidding me? You're bordering on vaccine misinformation and you better stop. The flu kills 100,000 Americans per year approximately. The flu shot is extremely important to protecting the young, old, and immunocompromised. The flu clogs up hospital beds and transmits to others in the hospital for other reasons. Getting your flu shot is VERY important, it's just that people on forums like this downplay the importance because they're healthy and lucky to not have died from the flu yet. Get your fucking flu shot--EVERY year. It protects people from literally dying.

I'm on science twitter and connected to the science community. EVERYBODY says your best chance to fight COVID no matter the form, as best as we know so far, is to get vaccinated. If you can get the flu vaccine too, do it, because it keeps you out of the hospital or reduces your vulnerability to co-infections and co-morbidities. 99.9% of COVID strains in the US are Delta and it behooves everyone to get their booster ASAP. Do it now.

We're not listening to the Moderna and Pfizer CEO alone, we're listening to the data, and the data shows: get your booster shot, get your flu shot. Go and do it now. You're not even paying for the COVID vaccine, and the flu vaccine is covered by most insurances.

Signed, a fucking bioengineer
:badass

How did they not get that the post they replied to was sarcasm.

It literally ended with

"But who stands to gain from us getting flu shots every year? 🤔
Other than me not getting sick I mean?"

Snoopycat_

« Reply #9065 on: December 04, 2021, 06:57:35 AM »
I'd be legit worried about what excel might do if she was banned on Resetera. Wouldn't be surprised if the mods cut her extra slack because of that.

This has worried me as well.  There are plenty of people on Era who deserve to get the shit stick but I'm scared to think of excel without her one human contact point.  That's horrible to consider where a sad vulnerable person would go.

We know exactly where she'll go. She'll go where all the other allies and progressives went when their time was up. She'll go to Gaf and start screeching about the wokes

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #9066 on: December 04, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »
they still seem to think they have a weird symbiotic relationship with gaf

just a page or two ago some era person was talking about going running back to gaf, and people at gaf mock era types when they're allowed by tyler's oppressive regime  :teehee

in reality no actual person wants to sign up to use either of them, any "new people" at either site are all converts or rejects or alts from the other side
Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #9068 on: December 04, 2021, 10:33:10 AM »

:drudge   oh shit :drudge

:neogaf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9069 on: December 04, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
🤴

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9070 on: December 04, 2021, 01:00:36 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

:drudge   oh shit :drudge

:neogaf
Oh no, Slayven can you sort this?  Oh, who am I kidding...NepNep can you sort this?
If an argument starts with "I am not X because I have Friends that [happens to be what X is against] " then It is usually bullshit.

And what I said doesnt have nothing with your being black lol

If you have friends a Activision Blizzard that does not validate your point at all being good or bad faith about the topic.

That and taking points like mine as personal. I even dont know you or your circumstances
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:08:04 PM by Taco Bell Tower »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #9071 on: December 04, 2021, 03:33:00 PM »
not era news but posting here because I first heard about this from their thread, and as predicted

https://www.rawstory.com/twitter-admits-policy-errors-after-far-right-abuse-2655920827/

Twitter's new picture permission policy was aimed at combating online abuse, but US activists and researchers said Friday that far-right backers have employed it to protect themselves from scrutiny and to harass opponents.

Even the social network admitted the roll out of the rules, which say anyone can ask Twitter to take down images of themselves posted without their consent, was marred by malicious reports and its teams' own errors.

It was just the kind of trouble anti-racism advocates worried was coming after the policy was announced this week.

Their concerns were quickly validated, with anti-extremism researcher Kristofer Goldsmith tweeting a screenshot of a far-right call-to-action circulating on Telegram: "Due to the new privacy policy at Twitter, things now unexpectedly work more in our favor."

"Anyone with a Twitter account should be reporting doxxing posts from the following accounts," the message said, with a list of dozens of Twitter handles.

Gwen Snyder, an organizer and researcher in Philadelphia, said her account was blocked this week after a report to Twitter about a series of 2019 photos she said showed a local political candidate at a march organized by extreme-right group Proud Boys.

Rather than go through an appeal with Twitter she opted to delete the images and alert others to what was happening.

"Twitter moving to eliminate (my) work from their platform is incredibly dangerous and is going to enable and embolden fascists," she told AFP.

In announcing the privacy policy on Tuesday, Twitter noted that "sharing personal media, such as images or videos, can potentially violate a person's privacy, and may lead to emotional or physical harm."

But the rules don't apply to "public figures or individuals when media and accompanying Tweets are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse."

By Friday, Twitter noted the roll out had been rough: "We became aware of a significant amount of coordinated and malicious reports, and unfortunately, our enforcement teams made several errors."

"We've corrected those errors and are undergoing an internal review to make certain that this policy is used as intended," the firm added.

"Twitter has given extremists a new weapon to bring harm to those in the greatest need of protection and those shining a light on danger," said Michael Breen, president and CEO of advocacy group Human Rights First, which called on Twitter to halt the policy.

:popular :wow :gamergate :rethread
Uncle

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #9072 on: December 04, 2021, 03:56:26 PM »
Eh, any twitter policy that bans Gwen Synder can’t be that bad.

Boredfrom

« Reply #9073 on: December 04, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
Quote from: Slayven
.  I been thinking about this since it started popping off. Dude started attacking the other(black people), and he suddenly became a real american(tm) to a certain set of people. That is just a small replay of in the early 1900s, Italians and Irish were considered the white negros. Barely better than black folks locked down into Jim crow.

Until they started joining police departments in mass and cracking black folks skulls in. Suddenly they too became real americans(TM)

Well, that is take.

It totally because the police, sure, Slayven.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/enes-kanter-freedom-assimilation-into-america-whiteness-is-really-a-speedrun-of-american-history.523509/

Propagandhim

« Reply #9074 on: December 04, 2021, 04:57:04 PM »

That is just a small replay of in the early 1900s, Italians and Irish were considered the white negros. Barely better than black folks locked down into Jim crow.

And today your forum is running skin-pigment apps on them for not presenting"white" enough. 

Averon

« Reply #9075 on: December 04, 2021, 05:24:26 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/geoff-keighley-beyond-its-nominations-i-can-confirm-that-activision-blizzard-will-not-be-a-part-of-this-year%E2%80%99s-the-game-awards.523335/page-7#post-78133992

Refreshing to see a developer calling out Reeee's two-faced, pretentious, hypocritical nature.

Quote from: Weltall Zero
Because the average Kotaku reader and the average Era poster have a lot in common: their entire contribution to "the progressive cause" is typing angry text entirely in service of claiming the high moral ground. Everyone is eager to latch onto the latest scapegoat that they can feel superior to, even under the flimsiest of evidence (or, indeed, no evidence at all).

How much Era posters claim to care about developers vs how much they actually care is evident the second that the very same developers they are claiming to protect, the ones organizing and pushing back and staging walkouts, actually ask them to keep buying their games, because otherwise they're out of a job. All pretense of caring about what these victimized devs have to say is brushed aside the moment the gamer's decided-upon strategy is questioned: no, these devs must surely be under some sort of Stockholm syndrome and clearly don't know any better, let alone know the path forward as well as the illustrious Era posters who have it all figured out from the confort of their desk chairs. Even excluding the dude getting himself banned for that galaxy brain "black friends" argument, you still have multiple examples of this in the last couple of pages, all without the slightest hint of self-reflection.

ShutUp

« Reply #9076 on: December 04, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/geoff-keighley-beyond-its-nominations-i-can-confirm-that-activision-blizzard-will-not-be-a-part-of-this-year%E2%80%99s-the-game-awards.523335/page-7#post-78133992

Refreshing to see a developer calling out Reeee's two-faced, pretentious, hypocritical nature.

Because the average Kotaku reader and the average Era poster have a lot in common: their entire contribution to "the progressive cause" is typing angry text entirely in service of claiming the high moral ground. Everyone is eager to latch onto the latest scapegoat that they can feel superior to, even under the flimsiest of evidence (or, indeed, no evidence at all).

How much Era posters claim to care about developers vs how much they actually care is evident the second that the very same developers they are claiming to protect, the ones organizing and pushing back and staging walkouts, actually ask them to keep buying their games, because otherwise they're out of a job. All pretense of caring about what these victimized devs have to say is brushed aside the moment the gamer's decided-upon strategy is questioned: no, these devs must surely be under some sort of Stockholm syndrome and clearly don't know any better, let alone know the path forward as well as the illustrious Era posters who have it all figured out from the confort of their desk chairs. Even excluding the dude getting himself banned for that galaxy brain "black friends" argument, you still have multiple examples of this in the last couple of pages, all without the slightest hint of self-reflection.

Sadly this will just be the latest edition of “are we the baddies? No it is THEM who are the bad guys!” And this person will just be banned in the end.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9077 on: December 04, 2021, 06:11:00 PM »
That Ariana Grande thread got locked
Thread locked while we review reports.
Tons of bans. From:
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissing concerns on cultural appropriation over multiple posts

Again, why are y'all pretending it's just about the look? Have you never listend to her music? Her entire pop culture persona is appropriation.
I'm a musician and I'm white. Are you telling me I'm not allowed to have reggae or latin influences in my music or else I'm culturally appropriating them? I honestly don't understand this outrage at all. Music is not a race, it's universal.
To:
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing cultural appropriation over multiple posts
To:
User Banned (1 month): Dismissing concerns of racism over cultural appropriation
To:
User banned (permanent): Dismissing concerns of racism over cultural appropriation, prior severe ban

All over something, "cultural appropriation", which is actually a very good thing, and even if it wasn't should not be policed by white Canadians (incelsiorlef) and the Gradient app anyway.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:15:32 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #9078 on: December 04, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
Another permaban for disputing incelsiorlef:
User Banned (Permanently): Inflammatory comparisons over multiple posts, history of severe infractions
Quote from: incelsiorlef
And please don't compare say a priest or someone wearing a yarmulke or a cross or a hijab, to someone in modern day Klan robes, that's such a fucked up way to go

Uh yeah I can compare them actually. There’s years of documented war, rape, stealing, suppression of woman, etc. sound familiar?
Quote from: incelsiorlef
So it is your sincere belief that a cross, a star of david, a hijab, etc.... is identical to fascist iconography

Those icons represent religions that have caused all the things I mentioned before. Yet, if one of them were in a wheelchair and fell over I would help pick them up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9079 on: December 04, 2021, 06:13:09 PM »
you still have multiple examples of this in the last couple of pages, all without the slightest hint of self-reflection.
What exactly are you trying to say you TERF son of a bitch. I bet you aren't even a real developer but just another hidden Nazi.  :yuck
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #9080 on: December 04, 2021, 06:16:43 PM »
New standard at ResetERA.com: https://www.resetera.com/threads/svp-at-sie-working-on-psn-george-cacioppo-alledgely-tried-to-meet-a-15-year-old-boy-to-have-sex.523479/
Quote from: B-Dubs
For incredibly serious accusations like this, random twitter/youtube users are not a legitimate source. If a victim comes forward, or there is a legitimate news article, we can have a thread. Until then, please try to use legitimate sources or actual victim accusations when it comes to making threads on serious accusations such as these.

benjipwns

« Reply #9081 on: December 04, 2021, 06:17:50 PM »
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory point of comparison

Naming a subscription service after a historically prominent slave is certainly a bold move.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #9082 on: December 04, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »

Hold up a minute. The same clown made a whole thread about how people should stop pointing to the "poor devs" to defend their purchases and now he's suddenly all high and mighty, telling people to think of the poor devs

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-call-to-eras-developers-and-mods-about-the-think-of-the-poor-devs-argument.288614/

benjipwns

« Reply #9083 on: December 04, 2021, 06:33:00 PM »

Hold up a minute. The same clown made a whole thread about how people should stop pointing to the "poor devs" to defend their purchases and now he's suddenly all high and mighty, telling people to think of the poor devs

https://www.resetera.com/threads/a-call-to-eras-developers-and-mods-about-the-think-of-the-poor-devs-argument.288614/
ahahahaha
To throw my two cents, as a dev myself: I feel offended every time someone uses fellow devs as a shield to justify their own purchasing decisions. Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.

Propagandhim

« Reply #9084 on: December 04, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
What a fucking idiot.   :lol

Averon

« Reply #9085 on: December 04, 2021, 06:47:48 PM »
New standard at ResetERA.com: https://www.resetera.com/threads/svp-at-sie-working-on-psn-george-cacioppo-alledgely-tried-to-meet-a-15-year-old-boy-to-have-sex.523479/
For incredibly serious accusations like this, random twitter/youtube users are not a legitimate source. If a victim comes forward, or there is a legitimate news article, we can have a thread. Until then, please try to use legitimate sources or actual victim accusations when it comes to making threads on serious accusations such as these.

I wonder if the new site owners is forcing B-Dubs hand here. Protecting themselves from legal liability?!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:52:12 PM by Averon »

Averon

« Reply #9086 on: December 04, 2021, 06:54:36 PM »

ahahahaha
To throw my two cents, as a dev myself: I feel offended every time someone uses fellow devs as a shield to justify their own purchasing decisions. Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.

:beli

This is what I get for trusting anyone that posts regularly at ERA to not be a two-faced, hypocritical asshole.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 07:02:51 PM by Averon »

Averon

« Reply #9087 on: December 04, 2021, 07:01:50 PM »
This is also a result of taking whatever position is the most Reee friendly at the time. No principles. Just saying whatever you have to to fit in. Pretty hard to keep track of what you said back then when "your opinion" is as stable as a flag flapping in a hurricane.

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9088 on: December 04, 2021, 07:23:37 PM »
The fact that he was also wearing a PS5 shirt in that video...
:shaking

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9089 on: December 04, 2021, 07:24:53 PM »
.  I been thinking about this since it started popping off. Dude started attacking the other(black people), and he suddenly became a real american(tm) to a certain set of people. That is just a small replay of in the early 1900s, Italians and Irish were considered the white negros. Barely better than black folks locked down into Jim crow.

Until they started joining police departments in mass and cracking black folks skulls in. Suddenly they too became real americans(TM)

Well, that is take.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/enes-kanter-freedom-assimilation-into-america-whiteness-is-really-a-speedrun-of-american-history.523509/
Slayven, can you sort this?(TM)

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #9090 on: December 04, 2021, 07:25:27 PM »
Oh nice, someone called him out

i'm honestly surprised to see this post coming from you. did you forget you made this thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/geoff-keighley-beyond-its-nominations-i-can-confirm-that-activision-blizzard-will-not-be-a-part-of-this-year%E2%80%99s-the-game-awards.523335/post-78140646

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9091 on: December 04, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »
You're welcome, ResetEra.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #9092 on: December 04, 2021, 07:39:55 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-her-ass-is-part-of-her-character.275780/page-206#post-78141858

Quote from: TheEchosOfTheCyborg, post: 78141858, member: 40323
Something that bothers me with the gaming community is how we (as in the gaming community) often just allow creators to be sexist, both fan and gaming press alike.

Like for example Hideo Kojima who has a long history of sexism in their games, both subtle and blatant and making awful defences and excuses for it like Quiet and the "sins and deed" defence. Yet he's never had any pushback for it, the opposite in fact, we openly turned that example into a meme, a joke and just allow him to be be sexist, allowed to say utter garbage because he makes good games. The game press will say nothing and ignore the sexism in his game, the fans will ignore it whenever it's brought or post "Stop having fun guy" memes at people who do mention it.

Like seeing people calling out Geoff Knightley right now, but like why should we be surprised given he's best friends with an open misogynist, he's openly made it clear he doesn't care about women or the treatment of women in gaming. It's not just Kojima, many "Auteur" creators just seem to get free passes on their behaviour, whether it's sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist etc, from Scott Cawthon, Hideki Kamiya, Yuko Taro etc, behaviour that if they were NB or Women would have them shunned by the gaming community.

And it feels like we need to do better collectively, while gaming press are doing better in recent years, we need to better questioning, not dismissing and calling out sexist behaviour from Auteurs.

Edit: Sorry for the random rant.

:social
Margs

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #9093 on: December 04, 2021, 07:53:11 PM »
It's pretty depraved how they take the real shit that went down at Activision and try to equate it with Kojima putting jiggly boobs in his game

benjipwns

« Reply #9094 on: December 04, 2021, 08:02:43 PM »
First, "Geoff Knightley ... why should we be surprised given he's best friends with an open misogynist", this is once again tarring one person for having associations with another person. Maybe find out if "Knightley" supports any of that first! (Not to mention this is directly accusing "Knightley" of "openly" not caring about sexual abuse because he's "best friends" with Kojima.)

Second, Scott Cawthon got such a "free pass" (for donating to Republicans and Tulsi Gabbard) that he had to give up his entire company and the Five Nights with Freddy franchise.

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9095 on: December 04, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-women-criticise-sexualised-character-designs-ot3-her-ass-is-part-of-her-character.275780/page-206#post-78141858

Quote from: TheEchosOfTheCyborg, post: 78141858, member: 40323
Something that bothers me with the gaming community is how we (as in the gaming community) often just allow creators to be sexist, both fan and gaming press alike.

Like for example Hideo Kojima who has a long history of sexism in their games, both subtle and blatant and making awful defences and excuses for it like Quiet and the "sins and deed" defence. Yet he's never had any pushback for it, the opposite in fact, we openly turned that example into a meme, a joke and just allow him to be be sexist, allowed to say utter garbage because he makes good games. The game press will say nothing and ignore the sexism in his game, the fans will ignore it whenever it's brought or post "Stop having fun guy" memes at people who do mention it.

Like seeing people calling out Geoff Knightley right now, but like why should we be surprised given he's best friends with an open misogynist, he's openly made it clear he doesn't care about women or the treatment of women in gaming. It's not just Kojima, many "Auteur" creators just seem to get free passes on their behaviour, whether it's sexist, racist, homophobic, ableist etc, from Scott Cawthon, Hideki Kamiya, Yuko Taro etc, behaviour that if they were NB or Women would have them shunned by the gaming community.

And it feels like we need to do better collectively, while gaming press are doing better in recent years, we need to better questioning, not dismissing and calling out sexist behaviour from Auteurs.

Edit: Sorry for the random rant.

:social

I fucking hate Kojima for his treatment of Stefanie Joosten,

:exxy

benjipwns

« Reply #9096 on: December 04, 2021, 08:44:38 PM »
While I somewhat disagree with some of the points of this piece (especially the fact that the editors forced her to spell doxing with two x's), I thought this was straight fire:
In times of conflict, we’re all familiar with the notion of sacrificing convention for the cause – it is hard to insist on civility in times of war. But this is something else, a “lol-nothing-matters” world in which the stakes are so low that your actions cease to carry any moral weight. Rowling becomes simultaneously something more and something less than human in this scenario, an undefeatable supervillain who can absorb all the abuse you throw at her. When you’re convinced you won’t land a single blow anyway thanks to her protective privilege, what’s the point in exercising restraint?

The answer used to be that brutality is corrosive to the self, to the soul. The rules were there not for your enemy’s sake, but your own – to protect you from becoming the thing you hated. He who fights monsters should take care that he doesn’t become one, and so on, and so monstrous behaviour was taboo. Proving that you were worthy of power meant proving that you wouldn’t abuse it when you won it; you wouldn’t break the social contract around something like doxxing for the same reason you wouldn’t kick a dead body, or stub out a cigarette on the arm of a braindead patient. Just because the guy can’t feel it, doesn’t mean it’s acceptable.

But suppose you never intend to rule. Suppose instead that your identity and the identity of your movement is founded above all in a sense of intractable helplessness, of impotent doom. Suppose you’re sure that no matter how hard you swing you’ll never hit anything but air. 

With no power comes no responsibility. We may soon discover how far the norms of the social contract can be eroded: how cruel people can be to an unfeeling target before any sense of conscience kicks in.
Would love to see ResetERA.com debate this. (haha jk, we all know it'd be locked immediately)

Related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayre%27s_law

Nuitangg

« Reply #9097 on: December 04, 2021, 11:09:21 PM »

Boredfrom

« Reply #9098 on: December 04, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »
Quote from: PrincessBubblegum
Kojima is sexist in general but straight up a misogynist when it comes to women. Even though he has prestige, he's still an otaku of his generation and it will always show.

Women don't get to reach auteur status in video games. Even in film, it's rare to see women talked about as auteurs. Naturally, a contingent of feminists reject auteur theory.

Thank you, Princess Bubblegum, very cool. Fucking man children with their man child cartoons.

Quote from: Plagiarize
Otaku. Pervert. Sexist. Misogynist. All seems to fit.

His games don't appeal to me partly because of that stuff. I gave MGS5 a chance cause I enjoyed the short not demo demo thing and it was on gamepass. The full game started with you getting a face full of cleavage after you finished creating a character and I just noped out. Way to presume who is playing your game.

:exxy :exxy :exxy

Then again, I doubt Patrick Klepeck is this soft.

Averon

« Reply #9099 on: December 04, 2021, 11:21:39 PM »
New policy or because it's Sony?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/maynard-james-keenan-of-tool-accused-of-rape.51496/

More like the new owners don't want the risk of getting sued because of ERA's userbase's propensity to engage in online mobbing for the flimsiest of reasons.

Boredfrom

« Reply #9100 on: December 04, 2021, 11:25:02 PM »
It also sounds like Gator related drama.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9101 on: December 04, 2021, 11:30:17 PM »
New policy or because it's Sony?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/maynard-james-keenan-of-tool-accused-of-rape.51496/

Oh, hey, I remember that thread. It was my introduction to how reeeee good ol' Reeeotous is!

So many classic Reeeeesetera memes in that thread:

Huh, and I played "Judith" on my program tonight at around 11:45-ish without knowing this.

Gonna hold my breath until more accusers come forward, but I'm a lot less shocked than I should be. I've always felt something about MJK was a little off.
Stay safe
 :shaking

Piece of shit. Another one for the trash pile.
:engel
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 11:39:58 PM by Potato »
Spud

Taco Bell Tower

« Reply #9102 on: December 04, 2021, 11:47:24 PM »
Oh nice, someone called him out

i'm honestly surprised to see this post coming from you. did you forget you made this thread:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/geoff-keighley-beyond-its-nominations-i-can-confirm-that-activision-blizzard-will-not-be-a-part-of-this-year%E2%80%99s-the-game-awards.523335/post-78140646
Except if you stop thinking in dogmas and one-size-fits-all rules, it's obvious that I didn't. I assumed the difference between both situations to be patently obvious: yes, in both of them a company is victimizing a collective, true; but, in one case, this is an external collective, while in the other, it's its own workers. What to do in each situation becomes straightforward as long as you keep your eyes on the ball, that is, supporting the victimized collective:

- When the collective is external, your support for the victims translates pretty immediately into boycotting the company. Using its workers as a shield to avoid taking action is equivalent to deciding their workers deserve more consideration than the victimized collective; additionally, in most cases it will run counter to what the workers themselves would have you do (read the thread you linked beyond my own OP, particularly its threadmarkss).

- When the collective is the workers themselves, however, the positive effects of a boycott have to be weighted against its negative effects on the very collective you mean to protecting. I will be the first to admit that I found calculating the net effect of a boycott to be daunting; but it turned out that, in this specific case (Activision Blizzard), we don't need to: the collective itself has done that calculation for us, and asked us not to boycott. This turns it back into a straightforward decision; that is, unless you decide unilaterally that a) you know better than them, and b) this superior knowledge gives you the right to go against their explicity wishes.

Again, all of the above seems pretty straightforward to me. I can't see the case of not boycotting a transphobic company because of its workers, just as I can't see the case of boycotting a company that has mistreated its workers against the explicit wishes of said workers

benjipwns

« Reply #9103 on: December 05, 2021, 12:16:36 AM »
Quote from: PrincessBubblegum
Women don't get to reach auteur status in video games. Even in film, it's rare to see women talked about as auteurs. Naturally, a contingent of feminists reject auteur theory.
What? We just had the biggest film of the year released by a woman regularly talked about along the lines of auteur theory, Chloe Zhao. Almost all the commentary about the film mentioned her as if she alone had produced the film, even despite Kevin Feige's well known role in every Marvel production. Earlier in the year saw a competing attempt in Patty Jenkins's WW1984, the sequel to (until possibly this year) the highest grossing film to date by a female director, which has made her very in demand and promoted her to the director/writer/producer triple-threat credit which actually gave her total command over 1984. Kathryn Bigelow has had her greatest success since leaving James Cameron but she's long been an innovative and personally active (i.e. takes the same risks as the actors) director like him.

Maybe they aren't literally described as auteurs, but that's because auteur theory has become so dominant in mainstream film discussion that it's simply assumed to be true. Some "feminists" may reject auteur theory (and the theory in general has been criticized since it started, including by those feted by it) but it absolutely dominates film discussion.

As to the claim about video games, auteur theory is much weaker there, but Jade Raymond very much benefited from it. And she wasn't even the "director" of Assassins Creed!

benjipwns

« Reply #9104 on: December 05, 2021, 12:21:53 AM »
Except if you stop thinking in dogmas and one-size-fits-all rules, it's obvious that I didn't. I assumed the difference between both situations to be patently obvious: yes, in both of them a company is victimizing a collective, true; but, in one case, this is an external collective, while in the other, it's its own workers. What to do in each situation becomes straightforward as long as you keep your eyes on the ball, that is, supporting the victimized collective:

- When the collective is external, your support for the victims translates pretty immediately into boycotting the company. Using its workers as a shield to avoid taking action is equivalent to deciding their workers deserve more consideration than the victimized collective; additionally, in most cases it will run counter to what the workers themselves would have you do (read the thread you linked beyond my own OP, particularly its threadmarkss).

- When the collective is the workers themselves, however, the positive effects of a boycott have to be weighted against its negative effects on the very collective you mean to protecting. I will be the first to admit that I found calculating the net effect of a boycott to be daunting; but it turned out that, in this specific case (Activision Blizzard), we don't need to: the collective itself has done that calculation for us, and asked us not to boycott. This turns it back into a straightforward decision; that is, unless you decide unilaterally that a) you know better than them, and b) this superior knowledge gives you the right to go against their explicity wishes.

Again, all of the above seems pretty straightforward to me. I can't see the case of not boycotting a transphobic company because of its workers, just as I can't see the case of boycotting a company that has mistreated its workers against the explicit wishes of said workers
This is some seriously fascinating fucking gibberish. But literally none of it responds to the much more "pretty straightforward" claim of his OP that I and John Dunbar both quoted that still cuts against this new "outside/inside collective" distinction nonsense:
Please do not pin your support of vile people on any of our livelyhoods; I'd rather change jobs than be the excuse for people to e.g. keep funneling money into Rowling's pockets.
Just say you changed your mind after hearing from other developers!

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #9105 on: December 05, 2021, 12:26:25 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-co-worker-is-about-to-die-of-covid-and-im-struggling-to-give-a-shit.523590/
This person is in his mid-20s and got married a few weeks ago. This wedding was a super-spreader event and he and several of my colleagues who attended all got COVID—all unvaccinated of course. The rest "recovered" but this one guy is probably not going to make it through the night. On one hand I feel like an ogre and on the other hand I'm just tired of this shit. There's no reason this mother fucker had to leave behind a widow and grieving family. I do feel sorry for them.

But I'm just tired and angry. Motherfuckers are dying and people keep coming into the office claiming "Allergies." Some of us have existing health conditions that make getting sick particularly dangerous.

This *isn't* a matter of not having sick leave or not being able to work from home. There's no reason for these people to be coming into the office.

Sorry for the scatterbrained post. I guess tl;dr: get vaccinated or go to hell.
As someone who is fully vaccinated, please go fuck yourself

Boredfrom

« Reply #9106 on: December 05, 2021, 12:31:44 AM »
Eh, I’m also fully vaccinated but it took way more to get the vaccine here. So is a little frustrating than you guys get to hard vaccinations while still bitching about whatever getting vaccinated or not.

Family has also died because COVID related causes, so... yeah get vaccinated you fucks.

Boredfrom

« Reply #9107 on: December 05, 2021, 12:39:54 AM »
Now this is legit heartless:

Quote from: Foffy
At this point, if you're in America and refusing to get vaccinated, it's your fault. I am genuinely expecting my sister to die because she's anti-vax and she's not happy that I straight up told her that if she dies of COVID, I will never take care of her child. I will not be burdened by the ignorant.   

:holeup

benjipwns

« Reply #9108 on: December 05, 2021, 12:43:23 AM »
I don't understand, dude is just a coworker that it sounds like he already dislikes. Who is saying that you're supposed to give a shit? I think people are just like "don't go up to the casket and scream at him for his errors"?

benjipwns

« Reply #9109 on: December 05, 2021, 12:43:44 AM »
Also a good post:
It blows my mind people like him (ant vaxxers) are able to find love yet I’m still single at 31. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #9110 on: December 05, 2021, 02:19:57 AM »
shockingly, humans on political sides that you characterize only by screaming, frothing madness as depicted in mainstream media are full of multidimensional people who are capable of deep love and respect for each other (probably helped by the fact they're not focused on cutting each other out of their lives for the smallest slights)
Uncle

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9111 on: December 05, 2021, 04:49:42 AM »
Oh, hey, I remember that thread. It was my introduction to how reeeee good ol' Reeeotous is!

My favourite Riotous moment was when he basically called TEEEPO a sandn-word over some shitty speakers. Good guy Riotous at it again. :)

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #9112 on: December 05, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-is-humor-comedy-enough-for-you-to-find-a-person-attractive.523443/

People need to stop seeing the world as Western White vs People of African Descent.

What website does he think he's on?
Oi Oi

Jansen

« Reply #9113 on: December 05, 2021, 09:04:55 AM »
mod edit: please don't link to random youtubers/twitter users, use legit news sources or actual victim accusations

Actual victim accusations from Twitter! No way they could be lying.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #9114 on: December 05, 2021, 09:07:40 AM »
That heehaw with the 15 years of comedy night classes must be fucking squirming

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #9115 on: December 05, 2021, 09:16:35 AM »

All I'll say is Glenn Greenwald and Contrapoints would have to start using mirrors on sticks to check under their car before starting it

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #9116 on: December 05, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
This is the second time someone on RE is bragging that they follow people on Twitter. First time was planetsmasher following comedians

The double whammy of the arrogance of Dunning-Kruger kicking in, because they're following 'the right people', but they don't follow those people, and the stubbornness of not wanting to be corrected because they've spent so long 'researching' and still don't get it.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9117 on: December 05, 2021, 09:25:08 AM »
excel did a couple of days hard time earlier this year, i'm sure she's in enough discords to survive a week or so with no ree to shit up with worthless threads :trumps

just think how annoying it must be to babysit unstable people like incel in dm's and shid on top of moderating the forum  :point
(ice)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #9118 on: December 05, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »

Well, that is take.

There's a whooooooole lotta mental gymnastics required to buy into "Anti-Blackness" as a universal and immutable truth when your only 'evidence' is from one country, and over a couple of hundred years tops.
On the upside, you can just state die juden "wypipo" as the sole cause of all your problems without ever really digging into that or addressing any logical inconsistencies.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #9119 on: December 05, 2021, 09:29:50 AM »

:wut

thats a whole lot of words for oh_that_was_different.gif