Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 143718 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2022, 05:33:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/badiucao/status/1490505728049643523
Guy making art about Chinese oppression about to experience some Chinese-style oppression.
Spud

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2022, 05:47:33 PM »
jesus 'murcans with their reactionary storm's in a teacup. gw pres already rescinded their statement and apologized on understanding the message further, but it's not hard to understand why a school might be concerned regarding a poster all over their campus with incendiary imagery in a period where you know, there's been a lot of instances of anti asian violence because of people blaming them for covid. curling covid as the centerpiece is p tacky and devalues the rest of the imagery. basic stuff.
◕‿◕

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2022, 06:08:55 PM »
incendiary imagery in a period where you know, there's been a lot of instances of anti asian violence because of people blaming them for covid.
Don't think there was ever any proof of this at all. Were there even any single examples of crimes with COVID as the motive? I know the one "study" that Stop AAPI Hate circulated counted things like statements and tweets as instances of "violence" and that included everything not just COVID related statements. Then the news cycle moved on and I don't recall any other sources beyond that though I admit I don't follow the issue.

But still it seems a little implausible to say there's a legitimate concern that Asian students would be literally attacked by other students due to posters with criticism of China associated with the Olympics. Yet another campus leaning towards a kneejerk silencing of any criticism of China seems far more plausible than the president "not understanding" it.

naff

« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »
but the narrative was there, and it was prevalent. biden signed something about it, news reports all over. people posting yellow images to instagram (lol). seems vastly more likely it was a kneejerk reaction to fear of anti-asian sentiment and bad faith propagandizing vs silencing criticism of the ccp generally.
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2022, 06:29:26 PM »
I did see some pictures and videos ResetEra threads of white-adjacent asian people getting beat up randomly by innocent POC's that didn't seem to relate to COVID.
🤴

naff

« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
took all of 2 seconds to google a summary

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56218684
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2022, 07:14:42 PM »
took all of 2 seconds to google a summary

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56218684
But that's just the same problem again, not support for the claim that hate crimes increased due to COVID nor that they continue to be higher due to COVID justifying constant alert status against criticism of Chinese government actions:
Federal hate crime data for 2020 has not yet been released, though hate crimes in 2019 were at their highest level in over a decade.

And the actual source of the article goes back to the aforementioned groups questionable survey:
The advocacy group Stop AAPI Hate said it received more than 2,800 reports of hate incidents directed at Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders nationwide last year. The group set up its online self-reporting tool at the start of the pandemic.
Where even they admit 90+% of self-reported events were "verbal harassment" or "shunning or avoidance" and up to another 6% can include "coughing":
coughing/spitting comprised 6.4%.
○ Verbal harassment made up 70.9% of incidents; shunning or avoidance comprised 21.4%

naff

« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2022, 07:24:06 PM »
ah yes, we'll ignore the thing that most people believe to be an issue, is being reported widely and numerous orgs say is a problem because there's not enough data right now to back it up. american institutions, well known for accurate, transparent data on crime reporting and stats. even if overblown, that's a matter of perspective and it doesn't matter. the narrative is prevalent, organizations like a school are going to be highly reactive to anything like that.

at the end of the day, they took down a few posters, sought clarification then apologized ffs. this is nothing. as i said, a storm in a teacup.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 07:28:08 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #188 on: February 08, 2022, 07:34:36 PM »
Don't really think that shutting down speech about another government's tyrannical actions is a good response to a narrative with no evidence for it, no matter how many people want to believe in that narrative or have motivation to push that narrative for their own ends. Especially when their own data shows that up to 96% of the self-reported incidents are not in fact crimes, let alone violence.

naff

« Reply #189 on: February 08, 2022, 07:52:09 PM »
fucking freedom warrior over here my god.

whether it's a good response or not is beside the point. it's just the environment we live in, and an org like a school trying not to foster rhetoric that alienates a group like reacting to an image that shows someone from china bowling covid intentionally into the world surrounded by atrocities their gov committed is not that hard to understand.
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #190 on: February 08, 2022, 07:53:37 PM »
It's contributing to a narrative that harms people.

naff

« Reply #191 on: February 08, 2022, 07:54:29 PM »
how?
◕‿◕

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #192 on: February 08, 2022, 08:03:56 PM »

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #193 on: February 08, 2022, 09:22:29 PM »
what a legend

benjipwns

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2022, 01:37:20 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2022, 01:40:32 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2022, 01:50:40 PM »
 :society

benjipwns

« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2022, 04:51:54 PM »
some idiot is gonna end up taking a shot at :rogan

:info
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2022, 05:20:23 PM »
some idiot is gonna end up taking a shot at :rogan
Self-defense against COVID misinformation and insurrection. Not guilty.

Next case.

benjipwns

« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2022, 05:54:42 PM »

BisMarckie

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2022, 05:56:48 PM »
And people say academia is useless…smh

Himu

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2022, 06:09:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1491520306036543496

My woman uses yellow and she's very cognizant of white privilege. Lol what
IYKYK

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2022, 06:29:04 PM »
I use yellow because I'm not a lame :trumps

don't academics have more important things to think about?
(ice)

BisMarckie

« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2022, 06:30:13 PM »

don't academics have more important things to think about?

lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
it was one of those i already know the answer questions  :-*
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2022, 06:34:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/CalebHowe/status/1491505847184334851
I told you this was the Stalingrad of the culture war. They're now trapped in the city, the relief force is stranded and they are doomed.

Against all odds and despite throwing everything they had into the battle the Joe Rogan Experience did not fall.
One has to wonder if CNN will still be around to cover the 2024 elections.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2022, 06:36:55 PM »
Rogan content is probably bringing them their best numbers since Trump, they need a new bastardman to froth over :kermit
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2022, 07:20:37 PM »
I've decided it would be hilarious if Rogan got whooped by a frenzied soy boy so implore CNN to keep on with what they're doing :sicko
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2022, 08:07:48 PM »
Rogan content is probably bringing them their best numbers since Trump, they need a new bastardman to froth over :kermit
The problem with CNN is that it has no entertainment value (unlike for example Tucker, which according to the latest ratings is now the most popular TV show among Democrats even).
You see this clip and you don't want to watch the whole thing. However, when you see a clip of a Fox News wank dad interviewing the anti-work Reddit mod, you must see the whole thing.
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2022, 09:31:59 PM »
The problem with CNN is that it has no entertainment value (unlike for example Tucker, which according to the latest ratings is now the most popular TV show among Democrats even).
You see this clip and you don't want to watch the whole thing. However, when you see a clip of a Fox News wank dad interviewing the anti-work Reddit mod, you must see the whole thing.

This should accompany the definition of the term "content".
Spud

benjipwns

« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2022, 10:17:03 PM »
Not really sure why you would think they wouldn't be.

benjipwns

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2022, 09:39:01 AM »
:goldberg

:whatisthis
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2022, 09:44:35 AM »

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/who-is-the-most-watched-host-in-all-of-cable-news-for-young-democrats-tucker-carlson/
According to the party-line data, gathered in the month of October, Tucker Carlson is the number-one watched host among Democrats in the key 25-54 age demographic – across all networks. For that month, Carlson pulled in an average of 101,000 Democrats in the demo. The Rachel Maddow Show and The Five tied for second – each pulling in 88,000 demo viewers that identify as Democrats.

More stunning still is the fact that Sean Hannity and Greg Gutfeld round out the top five with 81,000 and 73,000 Democrats in the demo, respectively.

In terms of total viewers, Fox has three of the top five shows watched by Democrats, while MSNBC has the other two.

Seems like pretty low numbers (of democrats), and while Tucker is definitely dominating the cable network TV ratings with an average of 2.4, those ratings are being trounced by everything on prime broadcast TV and a lot of the shows in syndication. 

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/top-ten/

I would imagine quite a lot of the 'younger' crowd aren't watching cable TV in general anyway and their streaming service coverage seems to be done by minutes, covering only non-live shows.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 09:51:46 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/network-ratings-2021-top-channels-1235143630/

LOSERS

News and Opinion Networks

What a difference a year makes. Last year, the newsies were among the winners. This year, with no bombastic election cycle, and with COVID-19 coverage not as prevalent as it was before vaccines were developed, the major news channels and opinion networks faced deep dips in 2021. That goes for Fox News (down 34%, although still tops in cable), MSNBC (-28%) and CNN (-38%). Business channels experienced similar slumps: Fox Business Network was down 48%, while CNBC was off 13%. The one exception to this trend, apparently, is right-wing Newsmax, which increased 48% (granted, from low marks to begin with), and we could say why that might be — but, c’mon, you know whose cult-like fan base is looking for like-minded “news” content.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2022, 06:51:48 PM »
I would imagine quite a lot of the 'younger' crowd aren't watching cable TV in general anyway and their streaming service coverage seems to be done by minutes, covering only non-live shows.
That's right, they're listening to the Joe Rogan Experience and a bunch of crypto monkey salesmen  8)

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1492423498928726019

Manstein could see the outskirts of Stalingrad but had to turn back. He radio'd Paulus: "We shall fight to honor your sacrifice but we cannot save you".
The 6th Armee was doomed and could soon no longer be supplied from the air.

Joe Rogan will close the pocket through corpo focus groups, CNN's destruction will be slow but very painful. The Clown News Network is done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 07:01:03 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #221 on: February 13, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »

CNN agrees that this is the Stalingrad, 9/11 and January 6th of the Culture War.  8)
They just don't realize that they play the role of the doomed 6th Army, the twin towers on fire after the first plane hit and Nancy Pelosi's laptop
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #222 on: February 13, 2022, 10:26:20 AM »
is there anyone on this board who would rather tune into cnn than rogan   :trumps

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #223 on: February 13, 2022, 10:38:16 AM »
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/02/13/us/joe-rogan-n-word-blake-cec/index.html
What triggered the violence in part were the messages that came from people in positions of power in Rwanda. Many, like Rogan, had a public megaphone and an audience.
[...]

[...]Influential radio stations broadcast a powerful, persuasive and constantly repeating message urging listeners to join killing squads and organize roadblocks," Konnikova wrote.

​Genocide is a worst-case scenario. But we don't have to look as far as Rwanda to see how quickly civic norms can change when people in power start lowering standards.

Rogan's use of the n-word may also be drawing us closer to something else: destroying any plausible shot at building a genuine multiracial democracy.

Don't let the Rogan n-word controversy devolve into another tired discussion about cancel culture. This moment is bigger. If Rogan goes on with business as usual, all of us -- not just Black people -- will pay a price. Our country won't be the same.

:doge

Allowing Joe Rogan to make podcasts will lead to genocide - CNN
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: February 13, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
That's right, they're listening to the Joe Rogan Experience and a bunch of crypto monkey salesmen  8)

Yeah, I agree with this, clown-dialogue choice of word aside.  :doge

Joe Rogan will close the pocket through corpo focus groups, CNN's destruction will be slow but very painful. The Clown News Network is done.

But this is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 03:26:46 PM by bork »
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2022, 06:01:44 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #226 on: February 13, 2022, 06:19:01 PM »

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 06:28:54 PM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #227 on: February 13, 2022, 07:55:48 PM »
:dead
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #228 on: February 14, 2022, 05:22:11 AM »
🤴

benjipwns

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #230 on: February 14, 2022, 08:12:21 PM »
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #231 on: February 15, 2022, 09:03:16 AM »
Having failed to stop Joe Rogan, they're coming for dank wall street next :doge

https://twitter.com/business/status/1493577930617802756
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #232 on: February 15, 2022, 09:22:50 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #233 on: February 15, 2022, 09:30:45 AM »
Needs a soylent logo :snob
(ice)

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #234 on: February 15, 2022, 02:40:13 PM »
What happened to the truckers shutting down the super bowl
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #235 on: February 15, 2022, 02:49:07 PM »
What happened to the truckers shutting down the super bowl
they couldn't block donald either tbh

benjipwns

« Reply #236 on: February 15, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
Peter Thiel is injecting $1.5 million into a seed round for a new conservative dating app called "The Right Stuff," a source familiar with the funding tells Axios.

The big picture: Conservatives have been aggressively building their own apps, phones, cryptocurrencies and publishing houses in an attempt to circumvent what they see as an increasingly liberal internet and media ecosystem.

Details: The app, which is expected to launch this summer in Washington D.C., will be invite-only to start.

While it isn't political itself, the app will be catered to conservatives living primarily in big, progressive cities.

It will look and feel like any other standard dating app. For the time being, it will only launch on the iOS mobile operating system.

The app will be free for users to start, but eventually the company plans to introduce a subscription tier.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #238 on: February 16, 2022, 12:21:48 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this whole culture warz thing is pretty stupid.
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #239 on: February 16, 2022, 12:31:58 PM »
It was stupid when the GOP tried it again in the early 00s and it's been that way ever since.