Author Topic: The Culture War Thread  (Read 146894 times)

Potato

• Senior's Member
Re: The Culture War Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 02, 2022, 04:52:47 PM »
Man writes daily comic for a living for 33 years. Doesn't know that 70% of those comics appear in black and white.
 :gaben
 :what :iface :drake

I'm a little dubious...

Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #421 on: May 02, 2022, 08:33:35 PM »
you can question whether he intended the joke to work in different contexts or not, or whether someone at distribution decided to unshade it as a fuck you

but I see the comedy in that one too and not on the twitter meta level of "ha ha now his joke is broken"

management excitedly hired someone they thought was diverse, all they really knew was that he identified as something but didn't look too closely

oh it's an average guy who identifies as white?  :doge
Uncle

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #422 on: May 02, 2022, 08:47:57 PM »
There was a Disney Channel family movie in like 1997 where a black American family decides to host a student from Africa assuming they'd get a black girl but it turns out she was a white girl from apartheid that expected a white family in the us

So basically that
:O

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2022, 10:31:32 AM »
There was a Disney Channel family movie in like 1997 where a black American family decides to host a student from Africa assuming they'd get a black girl but it turns out she was a white girl from apartheid that expected a white family in the us

So basically that

Nell?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

benjipwns

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #426 on: May 04, 2022, 11:31:17 PM »
I'm really fascinated by how deleted tweets still end up displaying their text here, seems like hidden data that twitter would normally prevent from passing over
Uncle

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #427 on: May 04, 2022, 11:36:03 PM »
The bore’s “server” being a modded Wii in Demi’s sex dungeon finally paying off
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2022, 11:44:59 PM »
Oh, wow, that was fast, there was a single comment lightly criticizing her when I posted them and five thanking her for her brave and stunningness.

She's moved onto bitching about Kim Cardassian losing weight or something:
https://twitter.com/buckleyswartz/status/1522058887960137728

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #429 on: May 05, 2022, 12:39:37 PM »
I'm really fascinated by how deleted tweets still end up displaying their text here, seems like hidden data that twitter would normally prevent from passing over

elon musk already paying off

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #430 on: May 05, 2022, 07:21:55 PM »
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #431 on: May 05, 2022, 07:55:36 PM »
Seems reasonable to me. Only use it in specific circumstances, otherwise go with the default.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #432 on: May 06, 2022, 06:14:16 AM »
Are we at a crossroads in the wokevolution?

- Women spoke up against the 'pregnant person' lunacy
- People basically told Will Smith to 'man up' and take a joke
- Virtue signaling TV shows are being cancelled left and right
- Netflix keeps backing Chapelle
- Corporations are not jumping on the abortion thing
- So far Disney has not made any announcements about removing people from projects that were under scrutiny
- Depp getting praised from taking Amber's attorney to the cleaners
- Zelensky is the 'Churchill' of our time, no longer is Churchill being painted in a negative light
🤴

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #433 on: May 06, 2022, 06:33:37 AM »
Some of those might be a little premature, but it's looking up
Spud

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #434 on: May 06, 2022, 07:16:07 AM »

I don't follow TV that closely, what falls under this category for you

the only one I know about is batwoman

I would attribute this partly to the fact that it's still in the realm of leaked documents and not definite, in the realm of corporations there's nothing worse than jumping to conclusions and winding up with egg on your face, alienating a chunk of your customers for no reason
Uncle

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #435 on: May 06, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
I don't follow TV that closely, what falls under this category for you

the only one I know about is batwoman

James Corden is leaving late night, does that count? Though he'll probably be replaced by someone even more TV-friendly.

benjipwns

« Reply #436 on: May 06, 2022, 09:46:04 AM »
James Corden is leaving late night, does that count?
Wait really?

*Googles*

Maybe there is a God in our infinite multiverse. :hmm

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #437 on: May 06, 2022, 09:48:36 AM »
Uncle

Polident Hive

« Reply #438 on: May 06, 2022, 09:51:22 AM »
Don’t know if it falls under culture war. Observing Hollywood caring a little less about international markets. Interesting, in a good way.

Countries not too fond of LGBT et al have been banning Doctor Strange 2 due to the shockingly bold inclusion of a tiny pride flag pin. There’s always a chance they’ll buckle and edit it out after the initial positive press. Get some extra business in Egypt and China. But it’s progress? Next stop, Top Gun 2 with the restored Taiwan flag.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #439 on: May 06, 2022, 09:56:28 AM »
Don’t know if it falls under culture war. Observing Hollywood caring a little less about international markets. Interesting, in a good way.

Countries not too fond of LGBT et al have been banning Doctor Strange 2 due to the shockingly bold inclusion of a tiny pride flag pin. There’s always a chance they’ll buckle and edit it out after the initial positive press. Get some extra business in Egypt and China. But it’s progress? Next stop, Top Gun 2 with the restored Taiwan flag.

Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #440 on: May 06, 2022, 10:10:23 AM »

It probably makes good sense to make countries be more specific about what's over the line. They can go to China (or whoever) and say they'll edit or prevent stuff on the back end while pretending publicly they're letting the artists express themselves through little irrelevant digs. China had been fine about some of this until recently.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #441 on: May 06, 2022, 11:43:12 AM »
James Corden is leaving late night, does that count?
Wait really?

*Googles*

Maybe there is a God in our infinite multiverse. :hmm

God should learn to be more proactive

benjipwns

benjipwns

« Reply #443 on: May 06, 2022, 02:03:47 PM »
A group of Republican senators want TV ratings updated so parents can block their children from watching shows with LGBTQ characters.

The five senators from North Dakota, Kansas, Utah, Indiana and Montana sent a letter Wednesday to the TV Parental Guidelines Monitoring Board asking for a TV rating overhaul.

“In recent years, concerning topics of a sexual nature have become aggressively politicized and promoted in children’s programming, including irreversible and harmful experimental treatments for mental disorders like gender dysphoria,” the letter reads.

The two-page letter signed by Sens. Roger Marshall, Mike Lee, Mike Braun, Kevin Cramer and Steve Daines “strongly urged” the TV group’s chairman, Charles Rivkin, to update its guidelines to ensure parents are aware of the “disturbing” content.
Marshall’s office pointed to four shows when asked by the newspaper for specific examples of concern — including Nickelodeon’s “The Loud House” and “Danger Force,” as well as Netflix’s “She-Ra and the Princesses of Power.”

Marshall’s office also cited a casting call from Pixar seeking a voice actor for a transgender character and public service announcements by Disney featuring a family with a transgender child, the newspaper reported.
:american

benjipwns

Polident Hive

« Reply #445 on: May 06, 2022, 07:48:57 PM »

It probably makes good sense to make countries be more specific about what's over the line. They can go to China (or whoever) and say they'll edit or prevent stuff on the back end while pretending publicly they're letting the artists express themselves through little irrelevant digs. China had been fine about some of this until recently.

China has some of the more let's say creative censors. Showing major riots, such as in Joker, are a no-no. There's a cultural taboo about certain supernatural elements and spirits that's lost on me. No Ghostbusters over there. The line is easier to define when Chinese companies are actively funding projects. Previously mentioned Top Gun 2 is backed by Tencent, for example. Way it works, appealing to one market alienates you to another. Uncharted was banned in Vietnam due to the nine-dash line. To take some heat off China's censors, they did allow West Side Story? That was banned in many middle eastern countries over a trans character.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #446 on: May 06, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »
what complicates china is that there doesn't seem to be a hard line of consistency and the rules change every year

companies trying to toe their line will pre-emptively make changes they haven't specifically been asked to make in the hopes that it will make the approval process easier, and that gets misinterpreted as something china actively requires

it's often cited that china forced blizzard to show no exposed bones on the forsaken race, and people laughed about how china was scared of seeing any bones or undead references, but blizzard chose to do that themselves

in fact there are plenty of games and media in china showing skeletons, bones, perhaps even ghosts

https://www.techinasia.com/china-doesnt-censor-skeletons-the-truth-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #447 on: May 07, 2022, 01:02:10 PM »
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1522563650724282368

Do not take a stance you cannot reverse, especially when the decision is not final. This topic is a textbook "50/50" issue. Subjects that divide the country can sometimes be no-win situations for companies because regardless of what they do they will alienate at least 15 to 30 percent of their stakeholders… Do not assume that all of your employees, customers or investors share your view.
:)
🤴

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #448 on: May 07, 2022, 01:15:44 PM »
Do not take a stance you cannot reverse, especially when the decision is not final. This topic is a textbook "50/50" issue. Subjects that divide the country can sometimes be no-win situations for companies because regardless of what they do they will alienate at least 15 to 30 percent of their stakeholders… Do not assume that all of your employees, customers or investors share your view.

Drink Coke!

weird

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #449 on: May 07, 2022, 01:47:11 PM »
Seems like a response to Pepsi's new slogans "The choice is yours (unless you are a women)" and "Pepsi, the choice of an unwanted generation".

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #450 on: May 07, 2022, 01:50:29 PM »
Are we at a crossroads in the wokevolution?

- Women spoke up against the 'pregnant person' lunacy
- People basically told Will Smith to 'man up' and take a joke
- Netflix keeps backing Chapelle
- So far Disney has not made any announcements about removing people from projects that were under scrutiny
- Depp getting praised from taking Amber's attorney to the cleaners
- Zelensky is the 'Churchill' of our time, no longer is Churchill being painted in a negative light

This is your brain on SJW compilation videos.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #451 on: May 07, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »
Seems like a response to Pepsi's new slogans "The choice is yours (unless you are a women)" and "Pepsi, the choice of an unwanted generation".

I'm stealing this for my set.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #453 on: May 07, 2022, 09:36:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1522563650724282368

:)

Actually kind of surprised about this. Like, I'm not certain but I'd imagine BLM probably had less support overall in America than abortion rights, yet lots of corporations (even ones who are usually apolitical like Nintendo) supported it.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #454 on: May 08, 2022, 12:54:17 AM »
Actually kind of surprised about this. Like, I'm not certain but I'd imagine BLM probably had less support overall in America than abortion rights, yet lots of corporations (even ones who are usually apolitical like Nintendo) supported it.
Only ~20% of women support abortion with no restrictions, the two absolutist positions only are a third of women. (Men in general support abortion restrictions less.) It would be the ultimate brand destroying singularity to try and take a position on it.

BLM was a meaningless phrase specifically leveraged in ways that nobody could object to it.

benjipwns

« Reply #455 on: May 08, 2022, 03:00:43 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #457 on: May 08, 2022, 03:23:01 AM »
There's been some meltdowns about the Northman... But to be fair including this also
https://twitter.com/awildmaxdisapp1/status/1520584542490447878

And one of those guys brought raw meat to eat (?) in a steel bowl (?).
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #458 on: May 08, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »

:dead
What is he doing with that spoon, cuck needs to raw dog that bowl  :doge

Now Star Trek explores, what if the 'culture war' became WW3?  :o  :lol

https://twitter.com/TPostMillennial/status/1523388693544796162
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #459 on: May 08, 2022, 07:20:33 PM »
 :era :notlikethis
Uncle

james

« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2022, 10:36:01 AM »
Is there any proof that this isnt true?

benjipwns

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Tuckers Law

« Reply #465 on: May 10, 2022, 07:47:43 PM »
I want to see an adaptation where the creator says they’re okay with a white male actor being cast for a part originally designed and portrayed as a female POC, and then watch as the Authorial Intent and Death of the Author types fight it out to the death.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #466 on: May 10, 2022, 08:04:30 PM »
I want to see an all-white reboot of Roots, but I don't want to associate with anyone that would actually want an all-white reboot of Roots. 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #467 on: May 10, 2022, 10:05:47 PM »
Do you mean something similar to what was tried with White Man’s Burden?

benjipwns

BisMarckie

« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »

Stop stealing my material :bolo
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 08:52:23 AM by BisMarckie »

BIONIC

« Reply #470 on: May 11, 2022, 01:16:48 PM »

Stop stealing my material :bolo

Back off pal or maybe I’ll make a Yugoslav Wars joke that’ll get five whole likes next time
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #471 on: May 11, 2022, 01:54:19 PM »
Now THAT was a culture war

🤴

BIONIC

« Reply #472 on: May 11, 2022, 02:04:41 PM »
:rock :gopnik :rock
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #473 on: May 11, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »
:rock :gopnik :rock

Can't believe these Giorgio Moroder gopniks are calling out the US airforce like this
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2022, 09:12:13 PM »
Was at a thing earlier and they had various snacks to grab. Took this black sesame oatmeal cup. Read the back label and it mentions it’s a minority woman owned company. Somewhere between carbs and how 30% of the packaging is recycled.

Just left wondering what sort of reaction that’s meant to illicit. Don’t think I’ve seen it before.

It was pretty good. I like black sesame in sweet foods. And I’m supporting something or whatever by proxy.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #477 on: May 13, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »
CNN’s new owner, Warner Bros. Discovery said on April 21 that it was shutting down the weeks-old streaming service CNN+, leaving several hundred employees to look for new jobs.

A week later, several of those staffers received packages from CNN: boxes filled with network-branded gear, from pens to food containers, as well as items such as a popcorn maker and headphones, people who received the gifts said.

Some came with welcome notes. “This is an incredible time to be part of CNN,” one note said. “Build relationships and take time to connect with colleagues and learn so that you make the most of your time here.”

The ill-timed gifts, which CNN says were sent mistakenly, were another gut punch for staffers that had bet on CNN+—drawn by the promise of growth in streaming—only to watch it collapse in epic fashion.
ouch

james

« Reply #478 on: May 13, 2022, 04:40:13 PM »
Supply chain gonna supply chain

benjipwns

« Reply #479 on: May 13, 2022, 06:44:25 PM »
The ACLU of California and Lambda Legal are denying some allegations: